Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warding and vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Stahlseele
If you use the LOCATION as the Anchor, then YES, the Ward is ANCHORED to the location . .
Make a hole somewhere, and the Ward goes poof . .
If you use an ANCHOR as the Anchor for the Ward, then no, it is NOT anchored to the Location the Anchor is in, but to the Anchor that is in the Location.
Yerameyahu
The rub, Bearclaw, is that we don't know that's true. I'm happy enough to *have* it be true, to have astral anchors tied directly to Gaia's astral shadow, but the rules are ambiguous about it. Some people are pretty interested in reading the rules as 'anchor and any enclosing space', instead.
Adarael
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 12:16 PM) *
4 Dice (Threshold 2) is not likely at all. And, If the Vehicle is warded, the Spirit may never penetrate the ward.

Threshold 1 or 0. Vehicle tests for Average or Easy terrain are Threshold +1 or +2, respectively, with a -1 to the Threshold difficulty when piloting in hot sim. You may be thinking of the Threshold 3 Crash test induced by damage equal to or over the body of the vehicle? But an "out of nowhere" crash test is likely going to be based entirely on the terrain, since it's not a specific manouver and it's just a test against the terrain itself not to crash.
Mardrax
Threshold 0 doesn't exist. A threshold needs to be met, not exceeded.
Adarael
It does when you have a Threshold of 1 and your hot sim driving gives you a -1 to all Thresholds on driving tests - it means "You automatically succeed." Otherwise hot sim does nothing for basic driving.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 19 2011, 10:28 PM) *
It does when you have a Threshold of 1 and your hot sim driving gives you a -1 to all Thresholds on driving tests - it means "You automatically succeed." Otherwise hot sim does nothing for basic driving.

It also means everyone and their mother's blind, mentally retarded, biodrone dog on BTLs is aware of a Force 6 spell being cast anywhere in the world. And don't even start asking about the implications of a threshold of (6-F) where F is greater than 6.
Adarael
Perception checks can only be made when you can percieve something because it's in sensory range. If a spell of Force 6 is cast and you have line of sight to the caster, yes, you do not need to roll perception to see it UNLESS there are somehow some extenuating circumstances which increase the threshold. If I am across the city, obviously I am outside of the range necessary to sense it. The fluff has always supported the idea that casters making use of powerful magics are easy to spot, barring said extenuating circumstances.

Basic mathematics indicates that 1-1=0. Hence, if you have any dice and must reach a threshold of 0, success is automatic. If you have 0 dice with a threshold of 0, then I would suggest you fail given that you have no ability to actually make the test, even if it is trivial, such as a lifting test on a bag of groceries, witha strength pool of 0.

If we are seriously about to argue that things which are sometimes rolled for cannot become automatic by reducing the threshold of the test, then we have stepped into some kind of crazy territory where this discussion can't continue rationally.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 19 2011, 01:20 PM) *
Threshold 1 or 0. Vehicle tests for Average or Easy terrain are Threshold +1 or +2, respectively, with a -1 to the Threshold difficulty when piloting in hot sim. You may be thinking of the Threshold 3 Crash test induced by damage equal to or over the body of the vehicle? But an "out of nowhere" crash test is likely going to be based entirely on the terrain, since it's not a specific manouver and it's just a test against the terrain itself not to crash.

Crash Tests are ALWAYS Threshold 3. So, again, 4 Dice (Threshold 2) for that Rigger with the Rig we were talkkking about to not Crash. The rolls leading up to the Crash test may bepend on other variables, but the Crash Test is always Threshold 3. smile.gif

Could be wrong though. I will look it up.
Adarael
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 12:54 PM) *
Crash Tests are ALWAYS Threshold 3. So, again, 4 Dice (Threshold 2) for that Rigger with the Rig we were talkkking about to not Crash. The rolls leading up to the Crash test may bepend on other variables, but the Crash Test is always Threshold 3. smile.gif

Where does it say Crash Tests are always Threshold 3? I found my PDF, and I haven't been able to find a reference to that.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 19 2011, 10:44 PM) *
Perception checks can only be made when you can percieve something because it's in sensory range. If a spell of Force 6 is cast and you have line of sight to the caster, yes, you do not need to roll perception to see it UNLESS there are somehow some extenuating circumstances which increase the threshold.

Whoever said the Perception test in question was a (purely) visual one, or that it requires LoS? Who defined whatever 7th sense picks the casting up, let alone its range?
And even if it were a visual one, it means said dog could see the casting from the moon, as long as there was no cloud cover.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 10:54 PM) *

False, see Ramming (SR4A pg 169). The ramming VR-driver actually has a crash test with a Treshold of 1 to pass.
Also, the closest reference I could find to the Threshold 3 is under Vehicle Damage:
QUOTE (SR4A pg 170)
Just like Knockdown, if a vehicle takes more damage from a single attack than it has Body, then the driver must make an immediate Vehicle skill + Reaction (3) Test to avoid crashing.

Notes this only applies when the vehicle threatens to crash from taking damage.
Adarael
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 19 2011, 12:56 PM) *
Whoever said the Perception test in question was a (purely) visual one, or that it requires LoS? Who defined whatever 7th sense picks the casting up, let alone its range?
And even if it were a visual one, it means said dog could see the casting from the moon, as long as there was no cloud cover.

I provided line of sight as an example. Maybe you have line of smell, I don't know.

You are steering this conversation into crazytown. By the rules, I can roll a perception test and - with enough hits - sense anything, anywhere, because there are no sensory limits on what a Perception test can pick up. See, the chart gives a difficulty for hearing subvocal speech, but no indication of how far away I can make that roll. So obviously, 10 miles is fair, because there's no range penalty listed. GM adjudication is required to make perception checks ever work.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 19 2011, 02:59 PM) *
False, see Ramming (SR4A pg 169).
Also, the closest reference I could find to the Threshold 3 is under Vehicle Damage:

Notes this only applies when the vehicle threatens to crash from taking damage.

Looked in the Books I have access to currently. Average Driving Conditions, Light Traffic is the typical encounter. Which is Threshold 3. That may be what I am thinking. Will have to peruse my books at home...

And again. Rammed Driver makes a Crash Test (Threshold 3). I am seeing a pattern here. Could it be higher? Conceviably; but I do not really see it going lower.

smile.gif
Yerameyahu
It's not clear to me that the -1 Threshold effect reduces Threshold 1 to 'Threshold 0'. I don't know if/how that exists, nor if you can reduce below 1.

There are distance penalties for Perception, though not very good ones. :/ Presumably, the GM is supposed to know that there's a max range on some things. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
WTF? Looks like a delayed Double, errr... Triple Post. Weird.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
WTF? Looks like a delayed Double, errr... Triple Post. Weird.
Adarael
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 19 2011, 02:05 PM) *
It's not clear to me that the -1 Threshold effect reduces Threshold 1 to 'Threshold 0'. I don't know if/how that exists, nor if you can reduce below 1.

There are distance penalties for Perception, though not very good ones. :/ Presumably, the GM is supposed to know that there's a max range on some things. smile.gif

I think the "-1 Threshold" type effects are poorly thought out, especially since it means that they are not strictly applicable in opposed tests. Personally, I apply it as 1 extra automatic success on all tests, but that's not entirely germane to RAW.

But I would counsel everyone reading this to do the same, since it avoids these kinds of arguments. wink.gif
Yerameyahu
I agree: the mechanic should either use Threshold mods extensively, or not. No messy in-between, and not without explaining corner cases like this. Another fun question is how that -1 Threshold rigger bonus affects combat. nyahnyah.gif And yes, that's the way we usually handle it.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 19 2011, 11:02 PM) *
I provided line of sight as an example. Maybe you have line of smell, I don't know.

You are steering this conversation into retardedville. By the rules, I can roll a perception test and - with enough hits - sense anything, anywhere, because there are no sensory limits on what a Perception test can pick up. See, the chart gives a difficulty for hearing subvocal speech, but no indication of how far away I can make that roll. So obviously, 10 miles is fair, because there's no range penalty listed.

On the contrary. You'll note the penalty for 'far away' range on a Perception test is -3. This wil rob the average human being of any chance to perceive whatever he's trying to perceive. Add in the -2 for being distracted and even the human trained to see things will be chanceless. Give the test a Threshold of 2, and even the world's best unaugmented perceiver will not reliably see the street sign his mark way ahead in the the distance just walked by.
This isn't a game where dealing with a trained baseline human is the baseline situation though. At what range someone with a Perception dicepool of 20 could detect subvocal speech? Who knows? I've always been a staunch advocate of playing up the effects of transhumanism there, not to mention a hater of the purely GM fiat denial that tends to be the alternative.

*shrug* It adds little to the discussion any more though. My point is: if you allow a Treshold 0 to be an automatic success, you might be creating more trouble than it's worth, and Retardedville is often the place to demonstrate these breaks, or see the angry mob carry them out of town for not being so retarded after all. wobble.gif

Bodak
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 20 2011, 01:01 AM) *
You do know that the Accident Power works without the Spirit entering a Vehicle, Right? And the theoretical Ward inside does bupkiss. :P
Not according to Frank.

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Sep 20 2011, 05:02 AM) *
thank you for the many opinions here; they are pretty much what we surmised in our debate. We both agree that the ward can be made in the vehicle but the key to our issue was the location of the warding (ie is it anchored inside the vehicle etc or would the spirit have to act through the ward if its a field around the vehicle). We decided the spirit could act without dealing with the ward because wards would want to be constructed the easiest way possible ie the interior of the vehicle is much less likely to change its shape/ disposition (think ramming or weapon damage) than the inside of the vehicle would (ala the placement off the widget etc).
Not according to Frank:

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 7 2007, 08:43 AM) *
Remember that Wards are like walls. More than that, they are like air tight walls that go all around something. That's fine for a computer server or something else that doesn't have to get moved, but you'd never put one around anything that something magical might have to go through legitimately.

So you're not usually going to see a ward around a citymaster, because sometimes Ares likes to send spirits in to provide Movement and Guard, and having some third party wage mage put up a ward would keep that spirit from using it.

QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 20 2011, 02:47 AM) *
No it's not. What makes the ward sometimes move with its anchor, sometimes not?
Did you even read the thread I linked to which already dealt with this topic? Here are some choice extracts from it that should clear that up for you.

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 6 2007, 08:33 AM) *
There seems to be a misunderstanding here.

A ward's frame of reference is not the "largest physical object" that the ward can encompass, but rather its relation with its anchor when the ward is raised (note the anchor must be inside the ward).

A ward must maintain its relative frame of reference with regards to its anchor (though that anchor may move around as long as the ward retains its shape). For instance: I want to ward a room. I tell the gamemaster that I want the ward to conform to the walls of the room (although I could tell him I want the ward to conform to a 5m³ of empty air in the middle of the room). I use the aforementioned rock/a magic circle/a series of candles in the center of the ward as the anchor. Once the ward is created, that relative frame of reference (with regards to the anchor) cannot be changed without disrupting the ward. Hence if the rock/circle/candles are kicked away, the ward is disrupted because the walls remain where they were and the anchor moves.

Were the walls able to move and maintain the same frame of reference with the moving rock/circle/candle (such as in the case of a container) then the ward would not collapse (and yes, this works much the same when warding in the open air though there the ground poses a problem, the anchor must be a meter off the ground if you stick to the rules literally). Hence you can ward a container or a car as long as the anchor remains static with regards to the ward. If the anchor moves the limits of the ward must be able to move with it.

The thing to grasp is that a ward's frame of reference is internal. What matters is that it remains at the same relative distance it was originally raised at with regards to its physical anchor (which must be inside it - see your quote below).

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 6 2007, 06:09 PM) *
If the warded perimeter conforms to a physical reference (such as the walls of a building or the chassis of a van) and that physical reference is destroyed or seriously damaged then the ward collapses.

You might ask then why ever use a physical reference for the limits of a ward (ie. why not just ward a dome of "empty" space inside a room rather than its walls). Well, the best reason to do this is to hide it. If the ward conforms to the walls, the astral shadow of the physical wall hides the limits of the ward, this is convenient in a number of ways not least of which is to avoid people peeking in from "unwarded" corners of a room or vehicle.

During development we did discuss whether or not all wards should be limited to enclosed areas - but it was decided not to go with that option.

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 6 2007, 11:12 PM) *
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 6 2007, 09:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 6 2007, 06:09 PM) *
No. At most you could physically pick up and move the anchor. Since the anchor itself is a physical reference and not an astral one then the "wards are not portable astral constructs" remains true. There is no means of moving the ward on the astral.
If a car with an internal anchor duct-taped to the ceiling moves, and the ward moves with it, does the ward not move on the astral as well?
Yes, the ward has moved and it has moved on the astral, this does not contradict the fact that it is not astrally portable. I believe that what we have here is a simply a misunderstanding as to the meaning of the word "portable."

It's physical form is portable, its astral form is not. Portable means that something "can be carried, transported or conveyed; easily transported by hand." (Webster's).

Nothing that I've said contradicts the fact that wards cannot be carried, transported or conveyed on the astral plane (hence "wards are not portable astral constructs" like say a focus. Wards can move however - if their physical anchor and its frame of reference can be carried, transported or conveyed on the physical plane.

I'll reiterate again not being astrally portable does not mean a ward cannot be moved (as long as its the physical components doing the moving). In your example, the ward has moved and has encountered an astral/projecting presence - resolve as usual (pressing through barriers rules)

This "ruling" is in fact simply a clarification that reflects both the intention of the author and the developers. It is not contradicted in either of the books you quote to the best of my knowledge. Nowhere does it say that wards are static and immobile.

All the base book says is that "a ward cannot be moved from its physical
component to another location" it mentions nothing about what happens when the physical components (the physical anchor and the frame of reference) are themselves moved. What the FAQ clarifies is that as long as the relative relation of the physical elements of the ward are not disturbed while being physically moved then the ward itself will move.

Note that the wards require both a physical component for its anchor and for its limits.

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 7 2007, 08:44 AM) *
Note there is a difference between it being able to move and it being carried, transported, or moved. Had we said at any point that a ward's astral construct was immobile, static, or immovable, I'd concede your point. We did not. We said the astral construct of a ward is not portable.

I fail to see an inconsistency. Lack of clarity yes. Inconsistency no. The ward is erected with an anchor as its physical component — at the time it is raised an appropriate shape and size is defined which may or may not conform with physical elements present. As long as the internal relation between the ward and the anchor isn't changed the ward hasn't moved .

The core book (p.185) says as much, a ward cannot be moved from its physical component to another location. This means the two cannot be separated or distanced. It makes no reference as to what happens when the physical reference itself moves.

Because nobody actually thought of including it and because it went back and forth several times during development. Neither the authors nor the editors thought to include it. Note that the material you mention above is specifically about raising wards in the first place, nothing more, nothing less.

Again both Street Magic and the core book state that the ward cannot move in relation to the anchor. If the ward and anchor moves there has been no relative movement.

Because no one at the time thought it would be a huge issue since the rules astral constructs/entities/etc moving through one another had already been covered in the rule book.

The list in the relevant section of the rule book (p.185-186) covers all sorts of mana barriers including wards, mana barrier spells and magical lodges (p. 185 first paragraph). No where does it state that the aforementioned mana barriers have to be immobile. Please feel free to cite where the rules declare that wards are immobile astral constructs, or where the Passing through Barriers rules spell out what happens when an area astral barrier spell (which I assume you agree can be mobile and is a mana barrier), say cast by someone riding in a car, encounters a ward.

I reiterate, this is no new rule, it is a clarification on the interpretation of existing rules (especifically the basic rules on Wards in the BBB and in SM).
Yerameyahu
tldr; honestly, it makes you wonder why bother with the annoying rule about the anchor moving in the first place. A warded vehicle is a portable ward, so just let wards be portable… or fix it so they're not. That, and making a car a weapon focus. This question and more will be answered in an upcoming sourcebook. frown.gif Feh.
Bodak
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 10:22 AM) *
tldr
Ahh so that's why people are just repeating the same "I think" arguments as were already expressed years ago. If you ignore the fact that it has been said before, you can imagine it still sounding fresh!

QUOTE (Synner @ Jun 7 2007, 08:44 AM) *
You are correct in that the wording in the corebook can be interpreted both as referring to the anchor or to the delimiters. Again this will be clarified in upcoming FAQ and errata.

Yerameyahu
Let me introduce you to Dumpshock. wink.gif

Ha, FAQ and errata. Dark humor, I see.

Anyway, I still don't see how 'you can move the anchor' jives with "If the physical anchor moves more than a few centimeters from its location at the time of the warding ritual, the entire ward collapses." You have to define 'location' as 'position relative to some things but not other things'. Writer's intent doesn't enter into it.
Adarael
I would just like to note that regardless of all content in this thread, and regardless of the fact that I agree with him in this instance, referencing Frank Trollman as a guideline on how to interpret things in Shadowrun is a very bad thing. This is a man who managed to somehow divine that if brainhacking could happen at short range, it could also happen at long range, because obviously the power required to transmit n bits between two points is constant regardless of distance, compression, modulation, or attenuation. And whose solution for this problem was to make brain hacking possible from anywhere, even if you were not using a computer, because obviously the only way to make commlinks ubiquitous is to make being without one a potential death sentence. Never mind that using his own logic, I'd never need to actually BRING my computer with me, because I could harden my headmeats from far away without risking my commlink being stolen.

So I wouldn't trust Frank's interpretation of ANYTHING as far as I could throw it, even if he wrote it himself. This is especially true when he hasn't bothered to read the rules all the way through, or actually comprehend the text, and throws out half-baked ideas and calls you rude names when you point out he hasn't understood what he's read.

(And also, he is one of the blandest writers the game line has ever seen. I know some have worshipped the ground he walked on, and he's an okay systems designer, but he is not a very impressive writer.)
KarmaInferno
Um. Only one Frank quote so far.

It's been mostly Peter Taylor and Aaron Pavao. (Forum names "Synner" and "Aaron", respectively).

-k
Yerameyahu
Snark aside, I honestly don't understand Synner's argument. By the rules (in Street Magic), there are just 2 things: the anchor, and the ward bubble around it. The book says the anchor can't move. It doesn't say 'relative to the ward' (which, again, is just a bubble of mana). Even if you make the ward 'conform' to the walls of a room, it's *not* the walls, just a bubble up against them (or perhaps 'inside them'). They (or one of them) can be the anchor, as long as they're inside the ward.

I guess the main confusion is this bit: "Note that the wards require both a physical component for its anchor and for its limits." I don't know where this comes from. I don't see it in the rules at all. The existence of open-air wards makes this pretty obviously false, and the book explains that wards are spheres, ovoids, etc., none of which are likely to be the shape of physical objects nearby—cubes, perhaps, and they're an option. There's a bit in SR4A that's unclear enough to pass, though: "A basic ward must be placed on a non-living thing (walls, rocks, and so on), and it must possess a physical anchor (an object or symbol of mystical significance that provides a “focal point” for the ward). The anchor cannot be moved in relation to the ward."

So, either they're fully portable (flagrantly against the quoted bit), or they're not at all. Yes, this leaves the aircraft carrier problem. *shrug* I didn't write the crap. smile.gif I honestly don't care which version is 'right', I just don't see how SR4A and Street Magic agree.
Adarael
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 19 2011, 07:37 PM) *
Um. Only one Frank quote so far.

It's been mostly Peter Taylor and Aaron Pavao. (Forum names "Synner" and "Aaron", respectively).

Yes, Karma, I know that. I am capable of reading attributions on quotes. I am also aware of who Peter and Aaron are. I'm just pre-empting any Frankisms that may ever be brought up on any subject, ever.

I would pre-empt them with napalm, if I could.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bodak @ Sep 19 2011, 05:53 PM) *
Not according to Frank.

Frank has absolutely no bearing on this topic whatsoever. *shrug*

And I agree about Wards. They can be anchored to a Vehicle.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 19 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Snark aside, I honestly don't understand Synner's argument. By the rules (in Street Magic), there are just 2 things: the anchor, and the ward bubble around it. The book says the anchor can't move. It doesn't say 'relative to the ward' (which, again, is just a bubble of mana). Even if you make the ward 'conform' to the walls of a room, it's *not* the walls, just a bubble up against them (or perhaps 'inside them'). They (or one of them) can be the anchor, as long as they're inside the ward.

I guess the main confusion is this bit: "Note that the wards require both a physical component for its anchor and for its limits." I don't know where this comes from. I don't see it in the rules at all. The existence of open-air wards makes this pretty obviously false, and the book explains that wards are spheres, ovoids, etc., none of which are likely to be the shape of physical objects nearby—cubes, perhaps, and they're an option. There's a bit in SR4A that's unclear enough to pass, though: "A basic ward must be placed on a non-living thing (walls, rocks, and so on), and it must possess a physical anchor (an object or symbol of mystical significance that provides a “focal point” for the ward). The anchor cannot be moved in relation to the ward."

So, either they're fully portable (flagrantly against the quoted bit), or they're not at all. Yes, this leaves the aircraft carrier problem. *shrug* I didn't write the crap. smile.gif I honestly don't care which version is 'right', I just don't see how SR4A and Street Magic agree.

Wads Have a limiter in space. IIRC, it is 50 Square Meters per Force or Magic Rating. That is its delimiter.
Saint Hallow
Suppose you do ward a vehicle... if someone rolls down the window, does that leave an opening for the spirit to enter & do something?
Yerameyahu
Yes, but not a secondary 'outside' component to match the anchor. That's just how big they can be.

Look, either wards are bubbles of mana, or they're 'infused' physical spaces. It just *can't* be the latter, because that'd mean you could only ward sealed caves and enclosed rooms. If there's any 'open air' part, then wards must be freestanding; this is what Street Magic says. There's a single physical component: the anchor. The anchor can be anything from a pebble to a wall, and it can be anywhere inside the ward at the moment of creation. After that moment, I don't see how the anchor can move. Street Magic says it can't. That means no cars.

If this isn't what's intended or desired, by all means house rule it. I just don't see how it can be argued that Street Magic doesn't say it: "If the physical anchor moves more than a few centimeters from *its* location at the time of the warding ritual, the entire ward collapses."
KarmaInferno
The problem is, of course, is that all anchors move from their starting location. At 1.3 million miles an hour.

-k
Bodak
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 6 2007, 05:58 AM) *
If all wards act with the same frame of reference, what could it be? An inertial frame of reference is silly, since the world is traveling far too fast for a ward to ever be stationary. I think the most obviously appropriate frame of reference is the Earth herself, the Gaiasphere that generates the astral field in the first place.

Definitely. But the same relative / absolute question arises when moving the area of effect of a sustained spell. If you cast an area sustained spell while within a moving train, does the area of effect pass through the back of the train immediately?
Hound
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 20 2011, 12:54 AM) *
The problem is, of course, is that all anchors move from their starting location. At 1.3 million miles an hour.

-k

hahaha true.

Yerameyahu, there's a third option in your list of what wards could be. Perhaps they're literally like bubbles, in that they need a piece of land/matter/whatever to support them, but can still have surfaces that are free standing.

I've always been a bit confused on this whole subject, it seems like the rules are kinda jumbled. Despite what I said up there, I generally rule that wards cannot be moved, no matter what their relationship between borders and anchors are. On the subject of KarmaInferno's comment about all anchors moving due to the motion of the Earth, it could be that that "doesn't count" because the entire manasphere (is that even a word?) is moving with them.

With regards to the spell on a train scenario, my understanding has been that it would stay with you. Sustained spells seem to me to be more connected to the person sustaining them than the environment around them, where as the anchor of a ward would suggest that it is more connected to it's physical location in some way. So actually, for the train example, my answer would be "That depends on what the mage wants to happen."
Bodak
QUOTE (Hound @ Sep 20 2011, 04:17 PM) *
With regards to the spell on a train scenario, my understanding has been that it would stay with you. Sustained spells seem to me to be more connected to the person sustaining them than the environment around them, where as the anchor of a ward would suggest that it is more connected to it's physical location in some way. So actually, for the train example, my answer would be "That depends on what the mage wants to happen."
So a mage casts TriD Phantasm inside the carriage while the train is stationary at a station. The illusion appears, inside the carriage. Then the train starts moving. It would be nice if the rules specified the area of effect is relative to something the mage chooses (eg "this carriage") or if it is always relative to the Earth. If the former, the illusion can come with the train carriage (or get left behind if the mage prefers). Whereas if it is always relative to the Earth, area spells can never be sustained in vehicles moving above a certain speed (so no disguising fast-moving vehicles with TriD Phantasm).

Likewise it would be nice if the rules specified the area enclosed by a ward is relative to something the mage chooses (eg "this portable anchor") or if it is always relative to the Earth.

If the area spell sustaining location "makes sense" to be relative to a chosen reference point (so vehicles can contain sustained area effects) then that should carry over to ward locations being relative to a chosen reference point.
Yerameyahu
Nothing wrong with making the earth the reference point, KarmaInferno. It's magic.

For Phantasm/etc., I assume the reference point is the mage, but yes, there are clear issues with that. It's just magic. Let's talk about wards, and there's no reason the two should be similar. smile.gif Wards definitely refer to 'location'. It is a stretch to make that mean something other than 'geographic location'.

My point is just that Street Magic and SR4A do not agree; the latter (vaguely!) implies some kind of multi-anchor system, while SM just says there's an anchor, period. I don't care which is right, I don't care if wards can move (or 'be moved', as if that distinction mattered), I just want coherence. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 06:08 AM) *
Nothing wrong with making the earth the reference point, KarmaInferno. It's magic.

For Phantasm/etc., I assume the reference point is the mage, but yes, there are clear issues with that. It's just magic. Let's talk about wards, and there's no reason the two should be similar. smile.gif Wards definitely refer to 'location'. It is a stretch to make that mean something other than 'geographic location'.

My point is just that Street Magic and SR4A do not agree; the latter (vaguely!) implies some kind of multi-anchor system, while SM just says there's an anchor, period. I don't care which is right, I don't care if wards can move (or 'be moved', as if that distinction mattered), I just want coherence. smile.gif

But the Developer of the Time already provided that coherence (unless I am a complete Whackjob). You can Ward the inside of a Vehicle per Synner's posts. What more coherence do you need?
DamienKnight
Couldnt someone install Biofiber inside the vehicle walls to create an astral barrier? I know it is vunerable to pollution, so it would probably have to be a vehicle with a sealed environment, but its doable.

Couldnt really put it in a gun, but the floor, ceiling and walls of a vehicle should be fine for Biofiber.
Yerameyahu
I don't care about the devs. The *books* disagree. Is he saying that Street Magic is wrong, and requires errata? Is he also saying that wards require an anchor *and* a perimeter object (but not an enclosing physical structure)?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 07:50 AM) *
I don't care about the devs. The *books* disagree. Is he saying that Street Magic is wrong, and requires errata? Is he also saying that wards require an anchor *and* a perimeter object (but not an enclosing physical structure)?

Does it matter? smile.gif
Of course the Books need Errata, what else is new?
Yerameyahu
It's a significant difference. Synner's version is that open-air wards can't exist, because you have to have (some unspecified) amount of perimeter objects.
simplexio
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 05:50 PM) *

perimeter as walls inside vehicle ?
Yerameyahu
Yes, or the walls and ceiling of a room. But what about a gazebo? A cave with a mouth? A convertible? An open field with one cairn? Can you make a ward using 2 tent stakes, but not 1? 3? smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 08:29 AM) *
It's a significant difference. Synner's version is that open-air wards can't exist, because you have to have (some unspecified) amount of perimeter objects.

Okay, I see. But admittedly, Open Air Wards are Odd. I don't ever remember a time where I had a character set an "Open Air" ward. I always had a "perimeter" barrier of some sort.

If you want an "Open Air" ward, Just Use a Mana Barrier Spell. *shrug*
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Yes, or the walls and ceiling of a room. But what about a gazebo? A cave with a mouth? A convertible? An open field with one cairn? Can you make a ward using 2 tent stakes, but not 1? 3? smile.gif

As long as the shape you set has delimiters, it should work. I would allow a Gazebo, or A Cave. Not sure about the Single Cairn Field or Singel Tent Stake Delimiters (Would allow 3 though, as that establishes a shape, where 1 or 2 does not); it would really depend upon how the description of the Ward comes about. It is a story after all. "Whatever serves the story best" is not a bad way to look at it. A Wall lends itslef more to a Barrier Spell, as it needs no true volume. Wards cover Volumes.

*Shrug*
Yerameyahu
Yes, but what *is* the perimeter? You didn't read. Is it 1 other point (a sphere with a center and any surface point)? Is it 3 points, 4, 8? A point and a line? A point and a surface? Can the convertible have a ward? Can the house without windowpanes?

That's not a good suggestion. smile.gif You can just use a mana barrier spell in the place of *any ward* by that logic.

(Ack, you changed your reply. Well, I'm not changing mine. nyahnyah.gif )

And, is it about having limits, or is it about having *objects* integrated into the ward structure? That is, basically multiple anchors, not just defined limits.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Yes, but what *is* the perimeter? You didn't read. Is it 1 other point (a sphere with a center and any surface point)? Is it 3 points, 4, 8? A point and a line? A point and a surface? Can the convertible have a ward? Can the house without windowpanes?

That's not a good suggestion. smile.gif You can just use a mana barrier spell in the place of *any ward* by that logic.

(Ack, you changed your reply. Well, I'm not changing mine. nyahnyah.gif )

And, is it about having limits, or is it about having *objects* integrated into the ward structure? That is, basically multiple anchors, not just defined limits.

Sorry, I somtimes hit the button to post by mistake in my hurry to type.

You need a focus for the Anchor, and an Area delimiter. Now, can you get an area from a center and edge point (Sure. And I guess that can work. I usually use the idea that you need an enclosed (though not sealed) space to ward.

A Flat plane is covered by the Barrier Spells, which handle this nicely. Volumes are covered by Wards. Volumes have definite edges. I just make the edges "definite" in game. So a room is obvious. A House without winbdow panes also works. An Open Air Bubble would need a Center Defining and Edge Defining Limit, and would be a pain to actually construct because I hate Geometry in my games. Simple Geometry is not bothersome, but the area/volume of a Half Sphere I just do not necessarily like to stop to calculate. Just a personal pet peeve. If someone wanted to do so, I would let them, as long as they did the math while I attended to other things. I might or might not check the math later. Depends upon how much I trust the Player doing the math.

In the end, though, I have never had a player WANT to put an Open Air Ward into place. It is just strange to me. *shrug*

I see the issue, though.
Yerameyahu
Right. But the open-air bubble is just the logical extreme of the 'walls with holes' issue. I agree that it's *usually* obvious: 'this room', etc. But it's a significant issue that we're not sure if you can make a mana dome *ward* in a field, a mana dome *ward* in a convertible/pickup truck, a ward that covers a circular-ish clearing in a forest, and so on. smile.gif This is actually totally apart from the 'portable/movable' question, except for the fact that Synner's argument is based on it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Right. But the open-air bubble is just the logical extreme of the 'walls with holes' issue. I agree that it's *usually* obvious: 'this room', etc. But it's a significant issue that we're not sure if you can make a mana dome *ward* in a field, a mana dome *ward* in a convertible/pickup truck, a ward that covers a circular-ish clearing in a forest, and so on. smile.gif This is actually totally apart from the 'portable/movable' question, except for the fact that Synner's argument is based on it.

Yep, I get it... Not sure how to resolve that one. I have Never had to myself. smile.gif
Bodak
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 19 2011, 02:39 PM) *
Except for the fact that the ward moves, the rules don't care if it moved relative, only that it moves.
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Snark aside, I honestly don't understand Synner's argument. By the rules (in Street Magic), there are just 2 things: the anchor, and the ward bubble around it. The book says the anchor can't move. It doesn't say 'relative to the ward'
I just noticed that there is a SM Erratum:
QUOTE (Street Magic Errata)
p. 123 Remaining Stationary
The third line should read:
“If the physical anchor moves more than a few centimeters from its location relative to the limits of the ward’s enclosure(…)”
which would render the text in SM as:
QUOTE (SM p123)
Wards are not portable astral objects. The warding ritual creates an astral link between the shadow of the physical anchor and the space being warded. If the physical anchor moves more than a few centimeters from its location relative to the limits of the ward’s enclosure at the time of the warding ritual, the entire ward collapses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012