Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When did arrows/bolts start going against ballistic armor?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HunterHerne
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 10 2011, 08:42 PM) *
Kevlar works in two primary ways: It has strong long-strand fibers which attempt to spread out the impact forces, and it entangles bullets with it's structure due to the bullet spinning, which causes the bullet to tear off a wad of the Kevlar as it impacts, eating up the bullet's energy.

Arrows tend to go through it because they often slip between the weave, rather than interacting with it.

Whatever the Ballistic Armor of SR4 is, it ain't Kevlar.

-k

I assume it's closer to a flexible polymer armour. That seems to make the most sense to me.
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 06:05 PM) *
Bonus: If you go by the fluff on p160, nothing makes sense. smile.gif Heh.

Explain?
Yerameyahu
It says vague, contradictory, and possibly unscientific things like "Ballistic armor protects against projectiles that deliver large amounts of kinetic energy to a small area in short amounts of time, such as bullets, bolts, and arrows", but "Impact armor protects against projectiles with lesser kinetic transfer: blunt projectile weapons, explosives, melee weapons, and stun ammunition." Bullets can be blunt without being stun, a melee weapon can include a powerful stabbing point, etc.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 11 2011, 10:24 AM) *
It says vague, contradictory, and possibly unscientific things like "Ballistic armor protects against projectiles that deliver large amounts of kinetic energy to a small area in short amounts of time, such as bullets, bolts, and arrows", but "Impact armor protects against projectiles with lesser kinetic transfer: blunt projectile weapons, explosives, melee weapons, and stun ammunition." Bullets can be blunt without being stun, a melee weapon can include a powerful stabbing point, etc.

Your last sentence notwithstanding, It Seems pretty straight forward to me... biggrin.gif
Draco18s
Blunt Arrow:
http://www.bows-arrows.net/BOWS-ARROWS.net...mages/40097.jpg

Ballistic or Impact?
Yerameyahu
That's because you're crazy, TJ. smile.gif How much kinetic energy is 'a large amount'? Weak bow vs. being stabbed with a spear? What if now you throw that spear? What if now you're throwing a blunt-tip spear (a big stick)? Why are explosives *not* 'a large amount' of kinetic energy?

What is 'a small area'? Why is a hollowpoint bullet not a large area, but grenade frag or bomb shrapnel isn't a small area?
CanRay
Only one solution, folks: Put this to the Box O' Truth people. nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
smile.gif I'm not too concerned about what's true or realistic, etc. I'm just saying that the fluff on p160 makes no sense. Just use the crunch, or house rule alterations to the crunch. Game balance can be achieved either way.
Minimax le Rouge
Rules aren't realistic. Their are not intented to suit the reality, they are intended to be easy to play, and if we are lucky, balanced. (And i think that we are not lucky with SR).
JonathanC
Related question: Now that arrows are basically just funny-looking bullets, is there a reason to go for Archery in SR4?
Yerameyahu
Stated above: troll-bow abuse, and TJ says it's silenter (and it is, a little).

It depends on what 'a reason' is. If you're basing your character decisions on metagame logic of DPS, etc., that alters the answer (and probably makes you bad person wink.gif ).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Oct 11 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Related question: Now that arrows are basically just funny-looking bullets, is there a reason to go for Archery in SR4?

Some characters may prefer it. You can have the same damage as a gun, in a package that is inherently more silent (though not as useful at as great a Range on the high end). Flavor more than anything.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu)
That's because you're crazy, TJ. How much kinetic energy is 'a large amount'? Weak bow vs. being stabbed with a spear? What if now you throw that spear? What if now you're throwing a blunt-tip spear (a big stick)? Why are explosives *not* 'a large amount' of kinetic energy?

What is 'a small area'? Why is a hollowpoint bullet not a large area, but grenade frag or bomb shrapnel isn't a small area?

heh... Maybe. The system says that the Arrow goes against Ballistic Armor. So there is no argument from me. I may not agree with it, but again, that is irrelevant. I quit arguing about Firearms/Projectiles, and Combat realism as a whole, a long time ago. It only pissed me off. I am much less stressed now. smile.gif

The realities of the situation are that an Arrow should likely go against Impact, but, this isn't reality. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
That's the crunch part, TJ, not the fluff. smile.gif That's my whole point.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 11 2011, 12:08 PM) *
That's the crunch part, TJ, not the fluff. smile.gif That's my whole point.

Yep... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012