Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Range on bikes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 1 2011, 07:23 PM) *
I actually kinda miss the old books where they give cargo factor and passenger figures, hard points etc. fuel economy etc.

This is one are where the game hasn't gotten better than the older Rigger 2/Rigger black book.

I agree, it made it easier to crunch the numbers for mods. thoughlets be fair Riggers BB2 was am amazingly bad book.
After a while the erretta included the instructions douse with gasoline and strike a match.
CanRay
Maybe there'll be a supplement like the "Way Of The Adept" to allow for Optional Rules for groups that want that complexity.

I know I do.
Tech_Rat
Well, for what it's worth, if any of you have characters running in a Zug or other big rig:

Current 'Big Name Carrier' company trucks have two 100gal tanks for diesel fuel.
Fully loaded, I've seen fuel economy as low as 5.6 Miles per Gallon, and as high as 8.6[I've heard rumors of greater, haven't seen, but have heard]
That pans out to a range of 1120 miles to 1720 miles.
Tractor with an empty trailer can get 8.2 to 10 miles per gallon, meaning 1640 to 2000 miles.
A tractor with no trailer can easily hop over 13 miles per gallon. Downside is the ride is now much rougher[no weight on the tail makes for a bouncy, bouncy ride], and risky in the event of sudden stops[yes, in the case of cab-overs{flat nose} bobtails, it is very easy to face plant by slamming on the breaks]. Long noses don't have these problems, and I suppose the newer slope noses have an almost negligible risk of this.

Also, A Kenworth T660 with the studio sleeper is a veritable micro apartment on wheels. Easily middle lifestyle type living space.

Tank space can be increased to up to 250 gallons per tank, making max capacity for fuel 500 gallons.

Just... For what it's worth, ya know? Any questions about trucks, and what can be done, google, or ask me. I'd be happy to oblige.
Snow_Fox
I truly do appreciate those details, 5-8 miles per gal is a whole other set of numbers, but I have to confess with 500 gallons of gas my first thought was 500 gallons and tracer fire. Ever seen Thelma and Louise.
Tech_Rat
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Nov 2 2011, 08:38 PM) *
I truly do appreciate those details, 5-8 miles per gal is a whole other set of numbers, but I have to confess with 500 gallons of gas my first thought was 500 gallons and tracer fire. Ever seen Thelma and Louise.

Yup. And especially now with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel being the norm, and only slightly less flammable than petrol, it is a logical way of creating diversionary road blocks.

EDIT: If you're still in the Gwynedd Valley area, I was just going through Allentown late last week. I want to say Thursday.
CanRay
*Sighs* I miss my father. frown.gif Sorry, he was a truck driver and I could have gotten some info on him on this.

Anyhow, on topic. Diesel is safer in military situations than petrol, and has been for a long time. (They called early, Petrol-Burning tanks "Ronsons", IIRC: "They light up the first time, every time.").

Most vehicles you're going to want to tank on any long trips, including motorcycles, will probably have the Multifuel Engine modification. I'd highly suggest it, at the very least. Due to both VITAS Plagues, most places in the world are like Northern Canada today, fifteen billion miles of *NOTHING*. When it's two towns until the next petrochem station, buying a few gallons from the local moonshiner can come in damned handy. As a lot of vehicles are also hybrid vehicles, the Sun Cell modification and driving on the electric motor is also a good suggestion, with some camping gear and rations to wait while the system charges up. If I were making gear, I'd probably have some kind of military-surplus "Solar Panel Blanket" you could spread out and do the same thing without the modification. But that's me.
Saint Hallow
Multifuel, Sun Cell, Additional Fuel Tank, & Improved Economy... with all that, you should be able to get the most distance out of your ride. I wanted to have that kind of setup on my van/RV for my zombie-apocalypse character.
Tech_Rat
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 3 2011, 01:01 AM) *
*Sighs* I miss my father. frown.gif Sorry, he was a truck driver and I could have gotten some info on him on this.

Anyhow, on topic. Diesel is safer in military situations than petrol, and has been for a long time. (They called early, Petrol-Burning tanks "Ronsons", IIRC: "They light up the first time, every time.").

Most vehicles you're going to want to tank on any long trips, including motorcycles, will probably have the Multifuel Engine modification. I'd highly suggest it, at the very least. Due to both VITAS Plagues, most places in the world are like Northern Canada today, fifteen billion miles of *NOTHING*. When it's two towns until the next petrochem station, buying a few gallons from the local moonshiner can come in damned handy. As a lot of vehicles are also hybrid vehicles, the Sun Cell modification and driving on the electric motor is also a good suggestion, with some camping gear and rations to wait while the system charges up. If I were making gear, I'd probably have some kind of military-surplus "Solar Panel Blanket" you could spread out and do the same thing without the modification. But that's me.

I apologize if I dredged up sad memories.

You make a lot of useful points here. I can most definitely see the use of a hybrid multi-fuel engine with the backup solar blanket. Catch all those harmful rays. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 3 2011, 01:25 AM) *
Multifuel, Sun Cell, Additional Fuel Tank, & Improved Economy... with all that, you should be able to get the most distance out of your ride. I wanted to have that kind of setup on my van/RV for my zombie-apocalypse character.
I kept looking for a Multifuel Engine that was repairable for my VW Type 2 "Minibus" in Deadlands: Hell On Earth, but never found on before the game fell apart.

QUOTE (Adrian Korvedzk @ Nov 3 2011, 01:33 AM) *
I apologize if I dredged up sad memories.

You make a lot of useful points here. I can most definitely see the use of a hybrid multi-fuel engine with the backup solar blanket. Catch all those harmful rays. nyahnyah.gif
Not your fault. Just the mood I'm in right now.

Glad you like my ideas. They come from strange places at times so I never know what to think.
Snow_Fox
They called Sherman tanks 'ronson's. for the reason you gave. They were quick, easy to learn etc but had substandard protection compared to German panzers.

As another example when looking at RL Harley's there is the '48' a really nice looking bike but between its milage and tank size it only has a rnage of about 96 miles, amazingly cool looking bike but massively substandard range compared with other stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012