Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Range on bikes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
Since SR for many people has moved out of Seattle the element of gas/fuel for vehicles becomes more of an issue. I mean when limited to the metroplexs like seattle or Denver you don't have to worry about fuel too much, but if, for example you're running between Philly and NYC or across central France down to cote d'azure or racing a ferry from the UK around the north sea coast to Oslo (cookie if you know what I mean by that) Suddenly fuel becomes an issue.

I mean I just, like tonight, traded in my Honda Shadow for a HD 1200C. Looking at tank size and milage the Honda when new could do 120 miles. The HD has a range of about 200 miles. When I number crunched bikes I found that 200 seems to be the longest range for a bike. After that point the bigger bikes get heavier decreasing milage. what this translates to and what I was thinknig of in game terms. If I were on a run from North of Philly to Nroth of NYC I might be able to squeak it out on a tank but I'd need fuel as soon as I arrived on the Honda. By comparrison the HD would not need to stop. I would need to refuel before returning but i could get onto the target and still move. So how often does that sort of logistic enter into your games?
Yerameyahu
SunCell.

But aren't all operating ranges in SR4 extremely vague at best? frown.gif
Snow_Fox
They were because the game was tied to Seattle where running out of gas really wasn't an issue, you find a gas station and pull over. My point is that 4th ed has broken out of that mold-though we still use Seattle, and it is possible people are playing in other areas and in that, fuel logistics should start to work into it.
KarmaInferno
Vehicle ranges are 6 hours of continuous operation time per "tank", unless specified otherwise.

Arsenal page 103

-k
Snow_Fox
My bike has a range of 200 miles on a full tank. My VW has a range of 400+ miles on a full tank.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, SR vehicle ranges are kinda anemic.

-k
CanRay
Lack of hard and fast rules with a heavy suggestion and provision for allowing homebrew. By RAW, it SUGGESTS six hours per tank.
Daishi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 28 2011, 07:48 PM) *

I never got that impression. Six hours of operation time at full speed will get you pretty far with most vehicles. A Harley-Davidson Scorpion will get over 800 km at that rate.
Yerameyahu
Assuming you have the opportunity to run at max speed the entire time.

The one-size-fits-all suggestion is not quite worse than no rules at all, but almost. This is worse considering the existence of mods specifically affecting this nonexistent game mechanic.
Medicineman
So how often does that sort of logistic enter into your games?

Never ever
I guess it would be considered "Hartwurst" at my tables. Gasoline is paid for by Lifestyle (none of our Chars has Street or Squatter Lifestile so we can afford it) and Range was never an Issue

Hough !
Medicinemane
Mayhem_2006
Its a glaring lack, but its utterly trivial compared to the lack of useful information about passenger capacity, load capacity and max weight carried :/

Vehicles really could use a redo from start.
Pendaric
Still on SR3 and though rare, there has been times where a refuel has not only been necessary but vital to the plot.
Modular Man
I thought those vehicle rules were meant to be fast and loose. There are modifications as well that don't always make sense because they do not cover every obstacle. That's fine by me, I like a system that is a little undefined around the edges much better than something that is fleshed out on every detail.
So, should it become an issue, make something up for yourselves. If a GM thinks that the PCs' travel habits overtax their gasoline meters, tell them beforehand and everybody should be fine.
See, I'd also rather envision large Trucks to operate for more than a mere six hours. But on the other hand, I didn't really miss specifics on passenger numbers when I didn't have them.
Mardrax
Suncell, which has been mentioned. Gridlink will get you quite a long way along the civilised routes.
Now this'll get more ugly when taking that Thundercloud through a tour of the Amazonian jungle.
Or when your nuclear submarine runs out of nukejuice 6 hours out of the coast. wobble.gif
Ascalaphus
Yeah, especially air and seacraft with only 6 hours operation time is awkward, if you're in the middle of the Pacific.

Take it with a grain of salt, salt does wonders for operational range nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
heh. If one want to be crazy, there is always the SR2/3 rigger books and their otempo rules (bordering on the "sanity" that is delta-v in transhuman space)...

Btw, i do not think SR have been Seattle-focused for at least a couple of editions now. But it is still urban-focused, in that one is largely swapping one city for another. As such, access to fuel/recharge should be a lesser issue.

And i think the 6 hour rule in Arsenal was mostly for airborne drones and vehicles that need to stay in an area for a while (like say a on station air support for the rent-a-cops).
HunterHerne
Honestly, never had this problem. Generally when my players go on a roadtrip, they decide they will "stop to refuel" when they can. Makes it easy on me, since I don't need to plan to let them run out, and it lets me plan little traps if they are on the run.
Snow_Fox
The cost of gas is covered in the lifestyle but not the dstops. The only reason hunterherne I'd be careful is let them tell you they're stopping other wise an encounter 'when you stop for gas' could look a little set up.

To use the drive from Philly to NY as the example, with vehicales limited to the post speed limit (65mph), if you just use the 6 hour rule-which we'll say for the sake of example doens't just apply to drones-both vehicles can go up and back, it's about 2 1/2 hour drive. With my VW i can drive up, visit my inlaws and drive back on one tank.
On the HD I can get up there and putter aronud but would need to refuel before heading home.
With the Honda I'd better refuel on the way up just in case and will need to refuel on the way home.
This is all stuff that should be taken into account for a run.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 28 2011, 07:48 PM) *

-k

EDIT: Never mind, several people had the same data as I did.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Oct 29 2011, 05:03 AM) *
I thought those vehicle rules were meant to be fast and loose. There are modifications as well that don't always make sense because they do not cover every obstacle. That's fine by me, I like a system that is a little undefined around the edges much better than something that is fleshed out on every detail.
So, should it become an issue, make something up for yourselves. If a GM thinks that the PCs' travel habits overtax their gasoline meters, tell them beforehand and everybody should be fine.
See, I'd also rather envision large Trucks to operate for more than a mere six hours. But on the other hand, I didn't really miss specifics on passenger numbers when I didn't have them.

Extra Fuel Tanks and Hey Presto, an additional 6 hours per tank.
CanRay
Extra Fuel Tanks and Improved Economy.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 29 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Extra Fuel Tanks and Improved Economy.

Even Better... And if you Add Suncell in to the mix, you are golden...
CanRay
"So, how long can this blimp operate?" "I don't know, how long is Sol good for emitting heat?"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 29 2011, 10:50 AM) *
"So, how long can this blimp operate?" "I don't know, how long is Sol good for emitting heat?"

Indeed... Blimps are the ultimate in Fuel Conservation.
Paul
We haven't had a game or a campaign where resource management has been an issue for a little while. We've played a few-and they can be frustrating and fun all at once. On average though resource management isn't an issue.
CanRay
Never had it in Shadowrun, but we have had a few games where resource management was an important issue. Even to the point where we had to figure out the pay (And income taxes) for the crew.

It got quite... Insane. We ended up getting a small percentage of the Gross Planetary Product for one job in order to maintain things, and keep us in beer money.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Twilight 2000. Resource Management Hell... Heh... wobble.gif
But a fun game nevertheless...
CanRay
frown.gif

Another game I've always wanted to play.

BASTARDS, THE LOT OF YOU!!!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 29 2011, 12:21 PM) *
frown.gif

Another game I've always wanted to play.

BASTARDS, THE LOT OF YOU!!!

If only you would move to Colorado... frown.gif
Snow_Fox
Too much combat and healing too for freaking EVER
CanRay
Be where the bullets aren't. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Oct 30 2011, 04:55 PM) *
Too much combat and healing too for freaking EVER

Yep, a lot of potential combat, and healing took a while.
Snow_Fox
andweirdly that is now a dacade past and the weapons developed since in Iraq and Afghnaistan make it- quaint. they could even iimagine drones. Might as well play "Twighlight 1918" with them there hi tech BAR's.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Oct 30 2011, 08:00 PM) *
andweirdly that is now a dacade past and the weapons developed since in Iraq and Afghnaistan make it- quaint. they could even iimagine drones. Might as well play "Twighlight 1918" with them there hi tech BAR's.

I hear the GDW? upgraded to Twilight 2013. I have seen references to it, but not any books. *shrug*
It still remains pretty fun, even still. Probably for nostalgia sake. smile.gif
CanRay
Or for someone like me who never got the chance. frown.gif
Snow_Fox
Ironically the chemical weapon defenses didn't change much between 1918 and 2000
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 31 2011, 08:48 AM) *
I hear the GDW? upgraded to Twilight 2013. I have seen references to it, but not any books. *shrug*
It still remains pretty fun, even still. Probably for nostalgia sake. smile.gif

By desert storm 1, the game was pretty outdated techwise (I had the box version, still do actually smile.gif ). I think they realease I did play that game quite abit---god help you if you had an MBT. It had the York, LAV 75 and a few other things that got dropped due to budget constraints. I think the last edition that came out, came out in 2000.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Oct 31 2011, 01:29 PM) *
By desert storm 1, the game was pretty outdated techwise (I had the box version, still do actually smile.gif ). I think they realease I did play that game quite abit---god help you if you had an MBT. It had the York, LAV 75 and a few other things that got dropped due to budget constraints. I think the last edition that came out, came out in 2000.

Yep... Have BOTH the 1st Edition AND 2nd Edition Boxed Sets. Great Game.
Outdated is okay, though. It is still fun, if a bit deadly. smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 29 2011, 05:50 PM) *
"So, how long can this blimp operate?"

Until all the smog has covered the solar cells nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 1 2011, 12:48 PM) *
Until all the smog has covered the solar cells nyahnyah.gif

They CAN be cleaned... wobble.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 1 2011, 08:52 PM) *
The CAN be cleaned... wobble.gif

Sure, always liked the idea of little maintenance drones for a bigger airship drone. Those could also scrub the solar cells and sensor lenses.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 1 2011, 02:35 PM) *
Sure, always liked the idea of little maintenance drones for a bigger airship drone. Those could also scrub the solar cells and sensor lenses.

Indeed... I have a Dozen or so for my Airship. smile.gif
Modular Man
Minidrones with gecko tips on that GTS Tower biggrin.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 1 2011, 09:53 PM) *
Indeed... I have a Dozen or so for my Airship. smile.gif

What combination of blimp/drones are you using?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 1 2011, 03:09 PM) *
What combination of blimp/drones are you using?

For my Primary Character, I use the big Luft... Zeppelin, somewhat modified (okay, heavily modified), for my residence. Then I just use modified maintenance drones (From the Runners Companion?) for most of the maintenance. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I do not have the writeup here with me. wobble.gif
Sengir
Luftschiffbau wink.gif
(Which means nothing but "airship production")

The Zeppelin is a bit huge for my tastes...but the idea with the household repair drone from RC is great, I might just steal that...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Nov 1 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Luftschiffbau wink.gif
(Which means nothing but "airship production")

The Zeppelin is a bit huge for my tastes...but the idea with the household repair drone from RC is great, I might just steal that...

Yeah, that one... smile.gif

It is big, and it was excessively expensive to get. But it is fun. Too bad the character is more a NPC than a PC currently (Too many characters, not enough time). Yep, the household drones are awesome. smile.gif
Falconer
I actually kinda miss the old books where they give cargo factor and passenger figures, hard points etc. fuel economy etc.

This is one are where the game hasn't gotten better than the older Rigger 2/Rigger black book.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 1 2011, 05:14 PM) *
(Too many characters, not enough time)
Bastards the lot of you!!!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 1 2011, 05:37 PM) *
Bastards the lot of you!!!

Heh...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012