Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can technomancers use wireless cyber without essence loss?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jhaiisiin
Ware not actually installed will need it's own power source, and some way of moving it around. Eyes require muscles. Limbs require anchoring for leverage.

Also, I'd offer up that someone using a camera feed to the brain will be getting less information and less speed than using their functional eye (whether ware or natural). If you're going to try and get around a balancing factor, be prepared to deal with additional annoyances.
MortVent
Sounds more like wanting a gargoyle rig from snow crash, a harness kit with sensors and powercells.

think high rating goggles, multiple camera modules, sensor clusters all over it

Tie it all into a commlink or in this case the tm's mind running emulated sensor software.

Gets the same effect, but without trying to make it into cyberware lacking a connection to the body
Yerameyahu
For basically every runner I see, that's called 'standard gear'. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 20 2011, 08:52 PM) *
For basically every runner I see, that's called 'standard gear'. smile.gif

Heh... Indeed. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Nov 20 2011, 07:18 AM) *
Ah, so the Essence mechanic shouldn't be applied to cybereyes.
To what should the Essence mechanic apply, as it no longer applies to cybereyes, and by default, arms, legs, torsos, or ears?

Eh. A hacker would spend all their time hacking and sending commands to the cameras. Whereas installed, you don't need to spend actions doing so.

There is a tradeoff, much as Essence is a tradeoff. There's room for both in the setting.

-k
Fortinbras
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 23 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Eh. A hacker would spend all their time hacking and sending commands to the cameras. Whereas installed, you don't need to spend actions doing so.

There is a tradeoff, much as Essence is a tradeoff. There's room for both in the setting.

But that's not what's being said. What's being said is that cybereyes(and most other cyberware) can be run without being installed with a Complex Form, and by default, a program. No hacking or commands needed.

So, do people think that Essence is no longer needed as a mechanic for cybereyes and other cyberware as it can be run un-installed by a program?
Jhaiisiin
that's just i though. You can't run a cybereye without it being installed. Sure, you might be able to get power to it and set up a wireless feed from it, but you can't move it like an eye. It's a static camera, unless you spend more cash to give it its own propulsion system.

Ears? Eh, sure. Limbs? No way. Other ware? Why bother?
KarmaInferno
I honestly don't see where anyone was saying an un-installed cybereye worked exactly the same as an installed one.

Merely that it was probably possible to shove a cybereye into an empty eye socket and access it's video feed wirelessly rather than hook up the wired DNI connections to the brain. You'd have to jump through multiple hoops to do so, and it would probably be far easier to just clip a sensor package with camera to your chest to get the video, and you probably would have to move your entire head to change the view. But it should be possible.

Nobody said anything about easy.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012