Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conversion Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The Jopp
Here we go, something useful, legal by the rules but could be gamebreaking.

Matter Transformation
Spell Type: Physical
Effect: The spell changes the composition of matter into a similar type of matter. Examples:
Lead to Gold
Water to Hydrocloric Acid
Blood to Salt Water
Steel to Lead

Physical: +1
Range: Touch -2
Range: Area +2
Duration: Permanent +2
Major Change: +2

Drain Code: F/2+5

For balance sake I would limit it to switch an element to another element within close proximity on the Periodic Table of elements or keeping it simple like Stone to Sand and Air to Helium.

Which would mean that Gold to Lead would be impossible but Mercury to Gold or vice versa is possible. Still, it would be fun playing an Alchemist who isnt in it for the money.

Lets not even mention the fact that an area spell exchanging the Oxygen to Fluorine in the air might be bad for people.
bibliophile20
Somewhere in the thread archives, I have a metal to wood conversion spell... *search-fu* ah, yes. New Spell Idea

hope that helps a bit.
The Jopp
Yea, liked that one to, a more restricted version.

The problem with these kind of spells is taht all it takes a little imagination to create something gamebreaking.

Clean Air to Toxic Fumes: Check
Steel Door to Balsa Wood: Check
Panther Assault Cannon To Wood: Check (Might be able to fire ONCE...)

On another note, for the survivalist:

Water to Gasoline
Water to Alcohol (for the drunk)
Gasoline to Water
Gamma Radiation to X-Rays: ???
Light to Darkness: Yes, possible but on a rather extreme level

And for the silly
Plastic Bonelacing to Titanium Bonelacing
Titanium Bonelacing to Jello Bonelacing
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Dec 8 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Clean Air to Toxic Fumes: Check
Can you see air? With a touch spell it might work. The problem then is that you are standing in the same fumes.
Gamma Radiation to X-Rays: ???
same problem as above. Visible light would be easier and more readily available
Light to Darkness: Yes, possible but on a rather extreme level
Darkness is not a separate thing, it is merely the absence of light. And there already is a darkness spell in the book.
And for the silly
Plastic Bonelacing to Titanium Bonelacing
Titanium Bonelacing to Jello Bonelacing
That won't work. Once implanted you can neither see nor touch the bone lacing. If you can access the implanted lacing, most likely changing it won't be necessary.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 8 2011, 09:32 AM) *
Can you see air? With a touch spell it might work. The problem then is that you are standing in the same fumes.

Except that you can Shape Air [Shape Element] without actually Seeing it.

That won't work. Once implanted you can neither see nor touch the bone lacing. If you can access the implanted lacing, most likely changing it won't be necessary.

It would work just as well as a Heal Spell does. You are not targeting wounds (espeicially ones that you cannot even see, including the massive trauma damage to your inner workings), you are targeting the person. Now, that being said, if the person did not have bone lacing, the spell obviously fizzles. Can't change something that does not exist in the target.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 8 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Except that you can Shape Air [Shape Element] without actually Seeing it.
Yeah, this one always vexes me, when it comes up. I want Shape Quarks. You can do everything with it and they are always OR 1. silly.gif

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 8 2011, 07:09 PM) *
It would work just as well as a Heal Spell does. You are not targeting wounds (espeicially ones that you cannot even see, including the massive trauma damage to your inner workings), you are targeting the person. Now, that being said, if the person did not have bone lacing, the spell obviously fizzles. Can't change something that does not exist in the target.
I disagree. The target of the heal spell is indeed the person, but the target of a conversion spell should be the item to be converted.
NiL_FisK_Urd
Just use "Turn to goo" and then target the cyberware which is lying around ^^
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Dec 8 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Yeah, this one always vexes me, when it comes up. I want Shape Quarks. You can do everything with it and they are always OR 1. silly.gif

I disagree. The target of the heal spell is indeed the person, but the target of a conversion spell should be the item to be converted.

My point was that it is already RAW that you can target a composite (The Body) and have a Specific Effect (The wound that you really cannot see). You can target things with magic, without being able to actually see them.

And besides... I like Shape [Quark]. Is an awesome spell indeed... smile.gif
Stahlseele
Blood to Salt-Water only works on blood you can see.
Not on the whole batch in a metahuman body.

Of course, going up against aztechnology and blood magic / spirits would become a bit more silly then . . .
Yerameyahu
The point is that it's a different spell. You can maybe have a 'person-targeting' spell that affects them in a way like 'blood-to-X', but you can't use a 'blood-targeting' spell *on* that person for the identical effect (without seeing/touching the blood).
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 8 2011, 09:28 PM) *
It would make an interesting substitute for Sterilize though.
JanessaVR
Ah, yes.

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth."

This all sounds terribly familiar, I know I've heard it somewhere... wink.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 8 2011, 09:28 PM) *

Of course, going up against aztechnology and blood magic / spirits would become a bit more silly then . . .

Well, in that case you wouldnt be able to use a heal spell against internal bleeding, which you can. Still, I would require a blood replacement/conversion spell to be a health spell for game balance - it seems more logical too.
The Jopp
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Dec 9 2011, 12:40 AM) *
Ah, yes.

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth."

This all sounds terribly familiar, I know I've heard it somewhere... wink.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about...

* Hides character sheet with a a boy magician with a bionic arm and a walking armour homouncolous *
The Jopp
Hmm...

I should be able to make a spell called Matter/Antimatter conversion.

What happens if I convert somebodys pistol (in their hand) to antimatter...

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Dec 9 2011, 10:41 AM) *
Well, in that case you wouldnt be able to use a heal spell against internal bleeding, which you can. Still, I would require a blood replacement/conversion spell to be a health spell for game balance - it seems more logical too.

You are NOT healing the internal bleeding specifically.
You are just telling the complete body:"You! shape up!"
And the body regrows what's missing, or at least patchs up holes faster than normal . .
Dahrken
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Dec 9 2011, 10:45 AM) *
What happens if I convert somebodys pistol (in their hand) to antimatter...

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

You regret not having cast it from something like a hundred miles away through a powerful telescope (fitted with a high-end light dampening) ?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Dec 9 2011, 08:00 AM) *
You regret not having cast it from something like a hundred miles away through a powerful telescope (fitted with a high-end light dampening) ?

But the regret lasts only for a very brief moment. Then the blast front hits...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 9 2011, 08:20 AM) *
But the regret lasts only for a very brief moment. Then the blast front hits...

Pretty Impressive Blast Front from a Hundred Miles Away. Got any hard science to back that claim up? smile.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 9 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Pretty Impressive Blast Front from a Hundred Miles Away. Got any hard science to back that claim up? smile.gif

Yup. E=MC^2

Energy=Mass times the speed of light squared.

A Bretta 92 weighs 950 grams. Since this is a matter-antimatter reaction, we're annihilating 1900 grams of mass.

*does maths*

How does almost 41 megatons of TNT sound to you? 40.813, to be more exact, or about 80% of the biggest nuclear blast ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba...

But the regret was for NOT having cast it from a hundred miles away. If you're at normal casting range, you'll have a very brief moment to regret your decision before the blast front reduced you to plasma...
Yerameyahu
Try to play nice, TJ. nyahnyah.gif Even if it had been only hyperbole…
Irion
It is always funny, how people do not seem to have any relation to the most famous formula on the planet...

Or sometimes what only a kilo of TNT really means. (Most funny to see in some StarWars Forums.)

Thats something I think MythBuster is good for. They take a fingertip of TNT and blow it up.
I think it is just hard to imagine if you did not see something like that for real in your life.

A chemestry teacher took one drop of nitro still enough to wake up everybody in the classroom...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Irion @ Dec 9 2011, 11:13 AM) *
(Most funny to see in some StarWars Forums.)

Oh do tell
Irion
@Yerameyahu
QUOTE ("Wiki Tsar Bomb")
All buildings in the village of Severny (both wooden and brick), located 55 kilometres (34 mi) from ground zero within the Sukhoy Nos test range, were completely destroyed. In districts hundreds of kilometers from ground zero, wooden houses were destroyed, stone ones lost their roofs, windows and doors; and radio communications were interrupted for almost one hour. One participant in the test saw a bright flash through dark goggles and felt the effects of a thermal pulse even at a distance of 270 kilometres (170 mi). The heat from the explosion could have caused third-degree burns 100 km (62 mi) away from ground zero. A shock wave was observed in the air at Dikson settlement 700 kilometres (430 mi) away;

Well, it was not a hyperbole... (Yes, the antimatter is unlikely to blow up all at once. But this depends on how it all reacts and if the bullets are turned to antimatter or not)
Stahlseele
technically, only the outmost layer of antimatter ever has contact to matter.
so only the outer layer explodes. then the next layer. not all at once. this may happen fast enoug to not really make a difference though . .
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 9 2011, 01:45 PM) *
technically, only the outmost layer of antimatter ever has contact to matter.
so only the outer layer explodes. then the next layer. not all at once. this may happen fast enoug to not really make a difference though . .

Yeah, we're talking about a process that happens so quickly that you measure it in shakes...
Draco18s
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 9 2011, 01:14 PM) *
Yeah, we're talking about a process that happens so quickly that you measure it in shakes...

Two shakes of a lamb's tail?
Yerameyahu
Irion, that's why I said "even if it had been" instead of "even if/though it was". smile.gif
Irion
@Draco18s
Two shakes of a lamb's tail?

Yes, a lamp beeing on a strict cram diet.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Dec 9 2011, 09:13 AM) *
It is always funny, how people do not seem to have any relation to the most famous formula on the planet...

Or sometimes what only a kilo of TNT really means. (Most funny to see in some StarWars Forums.)

Thats something I think MythBuster is good for. They take a fingertip of TNT and blow it up.
I think it is just hard to imagine if you did not see something like that for real in your life.

A chemestry teacher took one drop of nitro still enough to wake up everybody in the classroom...

And yet can you provide hard data for a 41 Megaton Blast traveling 100 miles. E=MC^2 does not give you that.
And since I have played with a LOT of explosives in the Marine Corps, Well, You will need to prove that one for me.
Observable does not mean it has any destructive force at that distance. Wikipedia notwithstanding. From the wiki post upthread, 100 Miles is pretty damn safe. No detrimental effects at all apparently. Felt does not equal hurt. Besides, the Matter/Antimatter Explosion being discussed is only ~ 80% of what the text references. So definitely safe. smile.gif

And Bibliophile20... Where are you getting your expolosive equations for Antimatter from? Seeing as how we can't hardly test your theory with it.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 9 2011, 07:48 PM) *
And yet there is no hard data for a 41 Megaton Blast traveling 100 miles. E=MC^2 does not give you that.
No, but if I had my old Physics Textbook...

I knew I shouldn't have given it to my old GM...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 9 2011, 04:49 PM) *
No, but if I had my old Physics Textbook...

I knew I shouldn't have given it to my old GM...

Heh... I have mine, but I hate Physics texts. They make my Brain Melt. frown.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 9 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Heh... I have mine, but I hate Physics texts. They make my Brain Melt. frown.gif
The practical applications and theory I get down no problem. It's memorizing the equations that I've always had difficulty with, and why I failed.

'Course, it's been so long, and I've taken so many blows to the head since then...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 9 2011, 05:07 PM) *
The practical applications and theory I get down no problem. It's memorizing the equations that I've always had difficulty with, and why I failed.

'Course, it's been so long, and I've taken so many blows to the head since then...

I passed Physics. Hated it the entire time. Gladly filed my Text on my shelf never to read again (University changed Textbooks for the following year, so I could not get any money back for it). There it sits, mocking me.
Ryu
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 10 2011, 12:48 AM) *
And yet can you provide hard data for a 41 Megaton Blast traveling 100 miles. E=MC^2 does not give you that.
And since I have played with a LOT of explosives in the Marine Corps, Well, You will need to prove that one for me.
Observable does not mean it has any destructive force at that distance. Wikipedia notwithstanding. From the wiki post upthread, 100 Miles is pretty damn safe. No detrimental effects at all apparently. Felt does not equal hurt. Besides, the Matter/Antimatter Explosion being discussed is only ~ 80% of what the text references. So definitely safe. smile.gif

And Bibliophile20... Where are you getting your expolosive equations for Antimatter from? Seeing as how we can't hardly test your theory with it.

I do believe Bibliophile suggested 100 miles to be a good distance. Please correct me if I´m wrong. What distance would you guess at?
Irion
In districts hundreds of kilometers from ground zero, wooden houses were destroyed, stone ones lost their roofs, windows and doors;

QUOTE ("Tymeaus Jalynsfein")
Wikipedia notwithstanding. From the wiki post upthread, 100 Miles is pretty damn safe.

Would not call this safe. Keep in mind, that Radiation is reduced to ³. Meaning you have three times the distance you get only 1/27 of the force.
(And we are talking gamma radiation mostly, meaning it has no problem penetration air/trees etc)
CanRay
OK, who's trying to resurrect the "Davy Crockett"?
Stahlseele
Well, if we give it to a troll throwing adept with maxed out damage resistance and rad resistance, we could make a super mutant who throws around mini nukes . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 9 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Well, if we give it to a troll throwing adept with maxed out damage resistance and rad resistance, we could make a super mutant who throws around mini nukes . .
Yeah, but does he fit on the back of a jeep?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 9 2011, 06:48 PM) *

A) If you look at the original post that I quoted:
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Dec 9 2011, 07:00 AM) *

*emphasis mine
The intent of the original statement was to say that if you were to cast the spell from normal combat range, you will wish--very briefly--that you had cast it from a safer distance, like a hundred miles.

But, even at that hundred miles, you'd still have a fireball and shockwave--they just wouldn't vaporize you instantly. smile.gif

As for the 41 megaton figure, I did a search for a standard pistol, noted the mass as 950 grams, doubled it (as it's a matter-antimatter annihilation) and then plugged it into E=MC^2. Do a google search for a calculator for the equation--you'll find dozens of ones that will work. One that I find useful is http://www.1728.org/einstein.htm
Yerameyahu
Christ, still on this? What does 'playing with a lot of explosives in the Marines' have to do with nukes, at all? nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
Beats the alternative of me going on about what I know.

They wouldn't even let me touch TNT back home.
Yerameyahu
frown.gif Whyever not, CanRay? As long as you're far from me, I think you should be allowed. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 9 2011, 05:23 PM) *
I do believe Bibliophile suggested 100 miles to be a good distance. Please correct me if I´m wrong. What distance would you guess at?

100 Miles is good. I was arguing with Irion Mostly. smile.gif

And I still do not know where Bibliophile20 is getting his explosive equivalents foir Antimatter.Matter explosions. Plugging in Mass is not very accurate in my opinion. If I use the same mass of raw earth (Dirt) as a Doubled Mass Ares Predator, I don't get 41 megatons of explosive force. There is a reason we use Plutonium or Uranium for Nukes and not Diamonds or Nickle.

As for Playing with Explosives, Yerameyahu, it gives a working knowledge of how explosions propogate. Which was my point. The data Irion is spewing is fallacious; he is comparing apples to oranges with no basis (in facts, that I can see, they are mostly supposition) for the comparison. wobble.gif
CanRay
Nickle is a pretty stable element as well. nyahnyah.gif

But it makes for good, hard, stainless steel. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 9 2011, 08:51 PM) *
A) If you look at the original post that I quoted:

*emphasis mine
The intent of the original statement was to say that if you were to cast the spell from normal combat range, you will wish--very briefly--that you had cast it from a safer distance, like a hundred miles.

But, even at that hundred miles, you'd still have a fireball and shockwave--they just wouldn't vaporize you instantly. smile.gif

As for the 41 megaton figure, I did a search for a standard pistol, noted the mass as 950 grams, doubled it (as it's a matter-antimatter annihilation) and then plugged it into E=MC^2. Do a google search for a calculator for the equation--you'll find dozens of ones that will work. One that I find useful is http://www.1728.org/einstein.htm

No worries, Bibliophile20... smile.gif

Again, your range estimates are highly dubious. Prove them... smile.gif

I get the physics behind the equation on E=MC^2. My question resides upon the data on Anitmatter/Matter reactions, which are, at best, highly theoretical in nature, and have yet to be actually tested, in any environment, from what I know. If that is wrong, please point me to the studies on such reactions, and where they were conducted. I would like to enlighten myself. If you cannot do that, your conclusion is merely supposition, and is therefore innaccurate by its very nature.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 9 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Sorry to hear that CanRay. TNT is a lot of fun. Though I still prefer C4 or Composition B. Dynamite works too, if you can get it. Not my favorite, though. It is very hard to cook with Dynamite. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 10 2011, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 10 2011, 02:19 AM) *
frown.gif Whyever not, CanRay? As long as you're far from me, I think you should be allowed. biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 10 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Sorry to hear that CanRay. TNT is a lot of fun. Though I still prefer C4 or Composition B. Dynamite works too, if you can get it. Not my favorite, though. It is very hard to cook with Dynamite. smile.gif
I was clumsy when I was younger. I wasn't allowed to play with any explosives... Oh well.
Irion
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 10 2011, 07:46 PM) *
100 Miles is good. I was arguing with Irion Mostly. smile.gif

And I still do not know where Bibliophile20 is getting his explosive equivalents foir Antimatter.Matter explosions. Plugging in Mass is not very accurate in my opinion. If I use the same mass of raw earth (Dirt) as a Doubled Mass Ares Predator, I don't get 41 megatons of explosive force. There is a reason we use Plutonium or Uranium for Nukes and not Diamonds or Nickle.

It does not matter what kind of matter you use. (Yeah, some might have some more binding energy, chemical energy etc. pp but the hell with it)
And we use Plutonium or Uranium because Antimatter is the most expensive and most dangerous stuff we have on the plant. 1/1000 g is around 100 billions.
Atoms are (fortunatly) very stable.
Uranium is used because those atoms are not stable. If the are hit by neutrons with the right velocoty, they break apart and release energy. That wont happen with carbon atoms. (Well unless some strange carbon isotope)

What is thought you might do with Antimatter is shooting it at uranium pellets to start the chain reaction. So replace several kg of TNT with a few atoms of antimatter and save a bunch of Uranium in the process.

Just to have something to compare it: The energy density of a fusion bomb or the fusion taking place in the sun are: Fusion bomb 300.000.000 MJ/kg, Sun 627.000.000 MJ/kg and we are talking about 90.000.000.000 MJ/kg. (To get a feeling for the magnitude TNT: 4)

I get the physics behind the equation on E=MC^2. My question resides upon the data on Anitmatter/Matter reactions, which are, at best, highly theoretical in nature, and have yet to be actually tested, in any environment, from what I know.

Well, we there were matter antimatter experiments and of course the energy released by atom bombs is based on this formula. The point with fusion and Atom bombs is, that they only "burn" up a very small percentage of their "Fuel". Antimatter always reacts completly. Just to see what we are talking about here, the bomb dropped on hiroshima used up under 1 g (gramm) of its "load".

As for Playing with Explosives, Yerameyahu, it gives a working knowledge of how explosions propogate. Which was my point. The data Irion is spewing is fallacious; he is comparing apples to oranges with no basis (in facts, that I can see, they are mostly supposition) for the comparison. wobble.gif

The point is comparing TNT to Antimatter is like, well comparing burning wood to TNT...
CanRay
Done right, you can make wood explode.

Well, sawdust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012