Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 8 2004, 10:06 PM)
keep you from dehydrating due to the dieretic action of the caffine...

Myth. There's not nearly enough caffeine in a coke to cause you to pass more water than you're ingesting in the coke. It takes an impressively thick solution to cause you to lose more water than you gain. Trust me, as someone who has ingested probably up to and over 300 milligrams of caffeine in various 12-hour periods, I know what I'm talking about here.

~J

Edit: quote from Snopes quoting someone else:

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 8 2004, 10:06 PM)
keep you from dehydrating due to the dieretic action of the caffine...

Myth. There's not nearly enough caffeine in a coke to cause you to pass more water than you're ingesting in the coke. It takes an impressively thick solution to cause you to lose more water than you gain. Trust me, as someone who has ingested probably up to and over 300 milligrams of caffeine in various 12-hour periods, I know what I'm talking about here.

~J

Edit: quote from Snopes quoting someone else:

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.

Curious, thanks for the correction...however they are talking about a net water intake. If you look above the quote you pulled out:

The average person retains about half to two-thirds the amount of fluid taken in by consuming these types of beverages, and those who regularly consume caffeinated drinks retain even more:

Given the pronounced diuretic effect of alcohol (the context here is definately more than one drink) every bit of extra water is going to help. If you are not a regular caffine drinker that partial loss of water, as well as the not taking in the extra water from "pressing", you are more likely to wake up thinking that whoever stole the money out of your wallet also punched you in the head and had their dog crap in your mouth. talker.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012