Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Technologies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Grinder
You're right, my apologies. I've added spoiler tags on my and Stahlseeles post, for what it's worth.
[ Spoiler ]
Stahlseele
QUOTE (3278 @ Jan 2 2012, 02:10 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Grinder
[ Spoiler ]
[ Spoiler ]
Stahlseele
That book came out before the book which supposedly tells the story . .
Daylen
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 30 2011, 07:57 AM) *
I will say that this has been discussed a little bit behind the scenes.

the idea of lost technology is something I'd like to explore down the line at some point, actually. not so much in the Battletech vein of "We have this awesome Losttech that's powerful!" but in the vein of using it to explain why Shadowrun developed differently.

Also, I'm personally a big fan of the idea that the corps are repressing technology. And information. And people. Always people. smile.gif The corps are all about control, almost as much as they are about profit.

Bull

Now thats the funniest answer to the question I've seen yet. The question is of course: why is a fax machine considered a high tech luxury along with a crappy version of an iPhone in the year 2050 or 2070 instead of both being quaint old devices only the elderly have seen or used. I want my printout phone for 1 nuyen that I buy outside my local stuffer shack.
I want my heat seeking fin stabalized/controlled ammo for use in my sniper rifle so I can make shots at 2-3x the listed extreme range at no penalty.
I want my cheap dicote steak knives.
I want my Plasma rifle dangit!
Stahlseele
we know johnny.
CanRay
I want a pony. That has a jetpack.
Stahlseele
You need to start watching MLP:FIM.
Rainbow Crash or Pinkamena Pie are probably right up your alley ^^
Xahn Borealis
I'm trying to get him into the herd, Stahl.
Saint Hallow
Screw all that, I want my Star Trek Replicator so I can quit cooking & just dial up anything I want, when I want it.
Christian Lafay
Easy. Mix play-doh shape technology with a drone. You want steak? It cuts the soy into steak, gives it a liberal steak seasoning, and then sprays it with edible paint. DING! Steak.
CanRay
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Jan 6 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Screw all that, I want my Star Trek Replicator so I can quit cooking & just dial up anything I want, when I want it.
Nutrisoy with "I can't believe it's not steak" flavoring! There you go! biggrin.gif
Saint Hallow
That's a good question. Do the replicators in star trek give me real meat or a nutrisoy material made to look & taste like it? In SR, I can have a drone with play-doh tech or smart food processors that make me whatever I want. I want my replicator IRL.
CanRay
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Jan 6 2012, 02:10 AM) *
That's a good question. Do the replicators in star trek give me real meat or a nutrisoy material made to look & taste like it? In SR, I can have a drone with play-doh tech or smart food processors that make me whatever I want. I want my replicator IRL.
The replicators don't give you real alcohol, that's for sure! sarcastic.gif
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 6 2012, 07:17 AM) *
The replicators don't give you real alcohol, that's for sure! sarcastic.gif

All this talk of replicators is making my geek sense itch and wondering if I can build SG replicators in SR.
Stahlseele
closest you will get is a nanoforge i think.
darthmord
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Jan 6 2012, 01:10 AM) *

IIRC, Star Trek's standard replicators replicate things down to the molecular level. People can tell the difference between real food and replicator food.

The higher grade ones can replicate down to the atomic level though doing so does take significantly more power than just down to the molecular level.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 6 2012, 08:41 AM) *
closest you will get is a nanoforge i think.
Nanoforged food. So, what, Edible Oil Products?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 6 2012, 08:45 AM) *
Nanoforged food. So, what, Edible Oil Products?

A Nanoforge runs on Goop, not Oil... smile.gif So, Edible Goop Products...
CanRay
Something like this?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Indeed... Something like that...
Awesome, CanRay... smile.gif
CanRay
I gotta watch that show again...
Daylen
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Jan 6 2012, 07:10 AM) *

Its a real steak, made through most unnatural means.
Daylen
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 6 2012, 05:12 PM) *

Brought to you by: the hypnoTOAD!
Christian Lafay
So I was watching Batman Beyond today (What?) and it made me think of technology that should be around so probably got lost. Using genetech to get animal traits. Like SURGE on demand.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jan 7 2012, 07:50 PM) *
So I was watching Batman Beyond today (What?) and it made me think of technology that should be around so probably got lost. Using genetech to get animal traits. Like SURGE on demand.

"Don't you try to psychoanalyze me, boy!"

Don't worry, we're all geeks here biggrin.gif

Also, while it's not "on demand", it's possible to "splice" in transgenetic alterations (Aug, pg 93), so the tech does exist, it's just slower than the "needs to fit in a 30 minute time slot" tech of Batman Beyond.

(Building that version of the Batsuit is doable, except for the flight part... although, given that it took the resources of Wayne Enterprises, a megacorp in its own right, to create in the first place, I think that having such a thing show up as a one-off item could be... interesting.)
Christian Lafay
The flight was a little odd. But it was in a time when hover cars were common. For now will just have to settle for pretending to be a Gargoyle. Or that new personal rocket wing suit that just got made IRL.
CanRay
Um, the Suit was almost Thirty-years old when Terry first put it on. It was the last version of the Batsuit before Bruce's heart gave out.
Christian Lafay
I thought the last version was the powersuit that MADE Bruce's heart go out. The one he strapped on one more time to take on Inque.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012