Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I want to make a go-ganger.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
yesferatu
I'd like to be a human. It's in Seattle.
I'd like to be avoid being useless in the meat.
I haven't decided if I want to go full vehicle rigger or not.

Help!
Medicineman
How about an adept Biker ? (blades, Knife Throwing, Daredevil on Wheels )
What about a Nartaki ? (2 Hands to steer ,2 more Hands with Katana to slice the enemies)

JahtaHow
Medicineman
Seriously Mike
If you want to be a good driver in the meat, there won't be enough points for you to buy a rigging kit, and vice versa. Apart from that, you want to be able to hurt people, and that requires some more points.
I built a Wrench Wench that should work as a go-ganger.
Ryu
Go-Ganger says Bikes to me. If your campain is mostly restricted to the Barrens, Mad-Max-style cars could also work.

What do you mean by "not useless in the meat"? Ground Vehicles + Gunnery + Automotive Mechanics + garage contact can be stapled on most other concepts.

(For an actual build IŽd like to hear about BP/karma budgets first.)
UmaroVI
Yeah, basically, what do you mean by "a go-ganger?" Specifically, what sort of abilities should you have? What kind of roles do you want to be able to fill? Do you have any particular restrictions aside from being human (not awakened, not emerged, no 'ware, limited gear budget, limited types of gear?)
yesferatu
I like the idea of an agile - fast-moving crotch-rocket rider.

I'm looking for:
Some gang affiliation
Urban experience and contacts
Stealthy and agile both in the flesh and on the bike
Hardware/vehicle repair and mods
Better than average combat ability
Distinct advantage in urban scouting, escapes and chases.

I'm having some trouble with game mechanics.
Since you have to spend 1 complex action a turn just to keep from losing control of your vehicle, I'd need to have at least 2 IPs if not 3-4.
That's either rigger/adept/or cyber/bioware. I just don't know how the NPCs do it.

As Seriously Mike mentioned, I need to choose between either a full on rigger with a bunch of matrix mods or a cybered/adept type who actually drives the thing manually.

If I go with the rigger mods, I may as well ignore my attributes and skills because they'll poof when I'm jumped in.
However, if I go full on rigger mode, I'll be basically useless when I'm not jumped in.

If I go with a buffed up meat body, I'll be missing out on the obvious advantages of the vehicle control rig and matrix interface.
I may as well just be a street sam who happens to own a bike.

I really don't want to default to a drone-rigger concept.
Inu
Motorcycles probably always get driven manually at least to some extent. Even if you have one that can steer using matrix controls, shifting your weight around is important to turning at higher speed. That explicitly can't happen if you're in VR, due to the RAS. One could envision particular programming for it, which basically treats your body as a extension of the bike and moves the whole thing (or basically allows an exception to the RAS to let you move), but that second is still part-cyber, part-meat.

Either of the latter allow for the full rules-statted bonus to be applied, it's just different in flavour, really. I just think oif a rigger in the RAS-induced paralysis on top of a bike being not exactly ideal for performance.
Ryu
Have a courier-style go-ganger with augmentations. Focus on Reaction, Agility and Intuition. Loosing the Control Rig is sad, but an effective Reaction 9 would compensate... wink.gif
UmaroVI
I think you probably want to be an AR Command driver. Take a look at my sig and look at the Mercenary Rigger; he's not precisely what you want but is pretty close and should be modifiable. The core idea is that you get multiple IPs from 'ware, then you use Command rigging from AR to rig.

Going down your checklist, you would probably want to cut back on hacking skills, remove most of the drones, remove Pilot Aircraft, get a bike, decide whether or not you want to use Gunnery (ie, have weapons mounted on your bike) and either cut that or not. Spend the points saved there to pay the being human tax, and to buy Pilot up to 4, specialize it in Bikes, and maybe pay more to have more/better gang contacts - possibly a Group Contact would make sense.

If you drop Gunnery you can make either Pistols or Pilot a 6. If you don't, you may want to drop it to 4 and make one of them a 6 anyways.

Alternate ways to go: Be a street samurai who doesn't suck, staple on Pilot Ground Vehicles (Wheeled) 4 (6) and a motorcycle, and just drive manually. You can easily have 9 reaction, and you can get to 12 if you really want to, which makes you a very good driver.

Be an augmented adept or mystic adept, use Mind over Matter (Logic->Agility) to cover the Logic skills and Agility skills at the same time, get your meatspace IPs, and pump your Pilot skill, then AR command rig. This kind of build tends to get pretty complicated and finicky but is doable.
Critias
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 12 2012, 04:24 PM) *
I may as well just be a street sam who happens to own a bike.

Toss in appropriate contacts and attitude, and that's basically what a go-ganger is, though.
yesferatu
Fair enough, but there should be a difference between a ganger and a go-ganger.
It's somewhere between a street sam and a rigger. How many flavors of those two archetypes are there?
It's a hybrid and I think it's doable...I just feel like I'm missing something.
Everyone seems to be steering far, far away from having the character be a full-VR rigger. Why is that?
UmaroVI
Because passing out and then riding around snoring on a bike is (a) really lame (b) asynergistic with being good at meatspace combat.
Rystefn
I don't see go-gangers as full VR riggers. I couldn't say why (aside from the previously mentioned motorcycle rigging issues) except that it seems to clash with the style. In my mind, a go-ganger is basically like a regular ganger, only with more emphasis on Reaction and Agility and less on Strength and Body. Probably equally comfortable swinging a chain or pipe from the back of the bike as shooting. AR-assisted manual driving seems to fit that better to me. I imagine the gang would have some people in bigger vehicles for various reasons (especially a Barrens Mad Max style go-gang), and those types might be full VR...
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 12 2012, 10:40 PM) *
Because passing out and then riding around snoring on a bike is (a) really lame (b) asynergistic with being good at meatspace combat.

I can't speak to its lameness - you turn into a motorcycle - but can't combat be handled fairly well from VR, with vehicle-mounted weapons? A character with full VR capabilities has the option of pulling out and driving manually, while a character without full VR capabilities can only drive manually. Is the improvement in ability not worth the cost of entry, do you think?

QUOTE (Rystefn @ Jan 12 2012, 10:40 PM) *
I don't see go-gangers as full VR riggers. I couldn't say why (aside from the previously mentioned motorcycle rigging issues) except that it seems to clash with the style. In my mind, a go-ganger is basically like a regular ganger, only with more emphasis on Reaction and Agility and less on Strength and Body.

If I spent a lot of my time on a motorcycle, driving hard and fast, and someone gave me the ability to become that motorcycle, to feel what it feels, to turn into it, not virtually but for real, and in some cases better than real, I'd take it. But that's as much a product of my bias as your perception of style is to yours. smile.gif
yesferatu
With VR, at a certain point it just becomes a remote control motorcycle. Your meat body would become a huge liability.
Why would you bother riding the thing? You'd be safer piloting everything from the matrix on your couch.
I'd like to avoid that route.

It's a huge waste to spend BP on gunnery and firearms and targeting programs.
If I get too invested in either method, it hoses the other.

How do the go-gangs do it? Are they all riggers or wired to the teeth?
UmaroVI
"Cool" is subjective, but I think you're missing that you are still sitting on the bike, passed out, and snoring. You can certainly drive the bike well while you are doing that, and there aren't actual penalties, but it "looks silly." You can also put a rigger cocoon in the bike, which you probably want to do. The issue is more "that's not what I think go-gangers should look like."

As for the lack of synergy - I think you are conflating jumped-in versus remote control versus manual with AR versus VR which are not quite the same. If you are a command rigger, you can always command rig from VR if you want to and you get a small bonus for doing so. Jumped-in rigging and manual piloting are asynergistic because you need one set of 'ware for jumped in rigging, and a completely different set for manual piloting. Also, if you already have multiple meatspace IPs - which this character will, because, remember, he wants to be good at fighting while not on his bike - the advantage of using a VR piloting method is diminished, because you don't benefit from the extra IPs.

Paul
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 12 2012, 05:13 PM) *
. The issue is more "that's not what I think go-gangers should look like."

The nice thing is it's 207x. Go-Gangers can look like they stepped straight out of an episode of Sons of Anarchy or they can look like something from a Gibson novel-or, shockingly I know, both!
UmaroVI
Yes, and if someone wanted to play a guy who called himself a go-ganger and rode around strapped into his bike and unconscious, I wouldn't be telling him that he couldn't do that. But he has pretty clearly said he doesn't want to do that.
Rystefn
Right... If you want to fight effectively on foot, then you also want to be a manual/AR pilot unless you have a glut of points (BP or Karma) and money. Otherwise, you're paying for stuff twice. If you already have extra IP and a high Reaction from 'ware (which you will if you want to fight on foot), then use that when you ride the bike as well, don't pay again to get the same benefits a different way. Actually, even if you have a glut of points and money, it's still probably a better plan to spend them diversifying your skillset over buying into two, mutually exclusive, methods of doing the same thing.

For the same reason that a person who wants be a hacker who's awesome in a vehicle should be a VR rigger, a person who wants to fight on foot and be awesome in a vehicle should be a manual/AR rigger. Unless you have a compelling RP/interesting twist/otherwise fun reason to do otherwise, of course.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 12 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Have a courier-style go-ganger with augmentations. Focus on Reaction, Agility and Intuition. Loosing the Control Rig is sad, but an effective Reaction 9 would compensate... wink.gif

QUOTE (3278 @ Jan 12 2012, 02:59 PM) *
I can't speak to its lameness - you turn into a motorcycle - but can't combat be handled fairly well from VR, with vehicle-mounted weapons?

Clearly the solution is to combine these ideas, and be a motorbiking ganger cyborg who literally is the bike.

You see, he had REALLY good insurance.

(restricted gear: Bike, mod it with a cyborg adaptation at avail18/+250,000nuyen, for the price listed in arsenal, get an epic advanced lifestyle that you can bill your medical fees to, and spend about 12bp on a contact to handle the surgery - if your gm doesn't let you start with your ware installed, like every god damn samurai is able to. Note: A CCU isn't deltaware, but acquired as an accessory to a vehicle mod with price and availability in arsenal. And 20 hits on medicine to install, but whatever.)

Just pretend you're playing in a corny 80's/90's action movie, like Steel.
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 12 2012, 10:09 PM) *
With VR, at a certain point it just becomes a remote control motorcycle. Your meat body would become a huge liability.

As opposed to how little of a liability it is if you're manually riding the bike, of course. biggrin.gif Seriously, if your physical presence is a problem, cutting out VR isn't the answer!

Why would you bother riding the thing? You'd be safer piloting everything from the matrix on your couch.

I would definitely ask that question, but I suspect it's probably connected to the character's history. I mean, he'd be safer not being a go-ganger, if you follow that path of logic. smile.gif

It's a huge waste to spend BP on gunnery and firearms and targeting programs.

A lot of people have mentioned this aspect of it - having to buy things twice - but how much is there, really? Initiative boosters, the Gunnery skill, what else?

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 12 2012, 10:13 PM) *
"Cool" is subjective, but I think you're missing that you are still sitting on the bike, passed out, and snoring.

Do you move around a lot on your motorcycle? Or do you keep yourself low to the frame, largely stationary, and only make large muscle group movements to do things like lean? Because I've got to tell you, when you're on a bike at speed, you do a pretty good imitation of someone who is just strapped to the thing.

The issue is more "that's not what I think go-gangers should look like."

That definitely seems to be a major influence.

As for the lack of synergy - I think you are conflating jumped-in versus remote control versus manual with AR versus VR which are not quite the same. If you are a command rigger, you can always command rig from VR if you want to and you get a small bonus for doing so. Jumped-in rigging and manual piloting are asynergistic because you need one set of 'ware for jumped in rigging, and a completely different set for manual piloting.

I'm not conflating the two - I promise you, whatever else might be true, I have a pretty good grasp on the difference between AR and VR rotfl.gif - I just don't see that the investment in the ability to be a good VR pilot is so expensive that it outweighs the benefits of being a good VR pilot.

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Jan 12 2012, 10:25 PM) *
But he has pretty clearly said he doesn't want to do that.

That's the only good reason I've heard thus far.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 13 2012, 01:51 AM) *
Clearly the solution is to combine these ideas, and be a motorbiking ganger cyborg who literally is the bike.

You see, he had REALLY good insurance.

(restricted gear: Bike, mod it with a cyborg adaptation at avail18/+250,000nuyen, for the price listed in arsenal, get an epic advanced lifestyle that you can bill your medical fees to, and spend about 12bp on a contact to handle the surgery - if your gm doesn't let you start with your ware installed, like every god damn samurai is able to. Note: A CCU isn't deltaware, but acquired as an accessory to a vehicle mod with price and availability in arsenal. And 20 hits on medicine to install, but whatever.)

Just pretend you're playing in a corny 80's/90's action movie, like Steel.

You rang?
Udoshi
QUOTE (3278 @ Jan 12 2012, 06:09 PM) *
A lot of people have mentioned this aspect of it - having to buy things twice - but how much is there, really? Initiative boosters, the Gunnery skill, what else?

That depends entirely on how you want to control your bike. There are three methods, and I STRONGLY suggest reading up on them in detail.

1) Command.
2) Manual
3) Jump-in.
4) Let The Pilot Do Its Thing.

A: Command is hella cheap, and good, and uses the skills you already have. IE: command+pilot, command+ gunnery.
B: Manual is not as bad as it sounds. It uses physical IPs, which means samurais have great crossover. Make no mistake, its easy to get a bunch of dice pool modifier while jump-in rigging. But - and this is a big but - your response very very rarely goes over 6, and it won't really go above 5 at the start. A samurai, other other hand, uses his Reaction to drive - and that is easy to boost. If you have move-by-wire, you are a fantastic driver. Period.
C: Dependent more on Hardware and Skill than programs. Often a good option to have, because it uses your same skills(pilot/gunnery/dodge/infiltration/perception), and some dice pool bonuses(+2 control rig +2 hotsim being the most common), but where it falls short is if you have a bad Response(yes, on the drone, NOT your commlink) or Sensor on the drone you are jumping into - and making sure your toys have decent stats to backup your skills is also more expensive. This can be mitigated to some extent by choosing the right model cars/drones (military/security classifications give increased device ratings)
D: The pilot is not useless. Even if its not directly driving, it is still useful, much like a robot AI car. It can make sensor tests, find routes, or even potentially shoot people while the driver drives. The biggest thing it can do, and I'm surprised that people don't use this more often, is spend the obligatory action to control the vehicle, freeing its driver up to do something else. Smartcars are useful. Having it be fully independent, however, is an expensive proposition. Pilots are expensive, response is expensive, system/firewall is expensive, autosofts are mandatory for autonomous operation, and also expensive. If you have wi-fi, you also want firewall, encryption, analze and otehr defenses. More cost.

To give you an example of cost: Look at 4a 330, street gear, and look at the cost for Pilots, Autosofts, Programs and the max rating you can start with. (also consider restricted gear).
Also the hardware upgrade table on 222.
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 13 2012, 01:27 AM) *
There are three methods, and I STRONGLY suggest reading up on them in detail.

rotfl.gif I'm having the weirdest conversations today.
Udoshi
With running the pilot autonomously, you're not really CONTROLLING the drone/vehicle so much as trusting it to not die by itself, not get hacked, and not have the dumb dogbrain pilot fail its 'what do i do' tests and do nothing(or worse, misunderstand your orders to disastrous effect) until you realize its stuck and not doing what you want.

But yeah, hella typo, my bad.
Oh, no! That wasn't what I meant at all. Even I'm not quite that pedantic. smile.gif You're fine. I was just being vain and obscure.
Yerameyahu
I'm still not clear on what the OP really wants, but I would never consider anyone a biker 'go-ganger' who wasn't riding manually. Autonomous, Command, and even Jumped-In simply aren't what that means; it's not 'a ganger who is a rigger'. AR aids are fine.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Inu @ Jan 12 2012, 10:03 PM) *
Motorcycles probably always get driven manually at least to some extent. Even if you have one that can steer using matrix controls, shifting your weight around is important to turning at higher speed. That explicitly can't happen if you're in VR, due to the RAS. One could envision particular programming for it, which basically treats your body as a extension of the bike and moves the whole thing (or basically allows an exception to the RAS to let you move), but that second is still part-cyber, part-meat.

Either of the latter allow for the full rules-statted bonus to be applied, it's just different in flavour, really. I just think oif a rigger in the RAS-induced paralysis on top of a bike being not exactly ideal for performance.
There is a modification for bikes to be driven remotely, it's called gyro-something (I don't remember), but it's in Arsenal.

What my build lacks is a Pilot upgrade for the car. Pilot 3 (at least) + specialized Maneuver 3 should be enough for the situations where you need to take your hands off the wheel for a couple of turns, ie. to lean out of the window and serve that Halloweener behind you a buckshot dinner.
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 13 2012, 09:47 AM) *
There is a modification for bikes to be driven remotely, it's called gyro-something (I don't remember), but it's in Arsenal.

Motorcycle Gyro Stabilization [Arsenal, p140], which I personally would consider a requirement for rigging a motorcycle, period. smile.gif
Ryu
A starting point for the unrigged version:

750karma, updated rules:
360 karma:
Body 4 Agility 4(6) Reaction 4[8] Strength 3(5)
Charisma 4 Intuition 5 Logic 3 Willpower 3
Edge 4

100 karma:
Rich thrill-kid go-ganger (250k„ for ressources)
Besides the bike, get the following implants:
Reaction Enhancer 3
Muscle Aug/Toner 2
Synaptic Booster 1 (else MBW 1 (Rea 9 Dodge+1))
Cybereyes/Ears, Radar
If Restricted gear is allowed, try to fit a Suprathyroid Gland.

Divide the rest: Skills 240, Contacts 50
Skills: Firearms/Athletics/Influence/Stealth/Mechanics 2-3 for starters, Pilot Groundcraft 4(Bikes +2), Dodge 4 (Ranged+2), Perception, some knowledge skills
Contacts: Taxi Dispatcher, Hotel Concierge, Fixer, Go-Gang (group)
yesferatu
Thanks guys,

This is all good food for thought.
Thanks for the start, Ryu.
I would probably go a little higher on the Synaptic Booster, but money will eventually become an issue.
Piloting the bike, I lose 1 IP every turn.

Once I've decided not to go the rigger route, I could also throw together a cycle adept.
Would you even bother with close combat?
I'm trying to decide between a sniper style and a general firearms group build.
Mobility is a hell of an advantage for a sniper. Pop somebody from max range, speed in and clean up.

*Additionally, how does ranged dodge work? Is that just for thrown projectiles and missiles? That doesn't work on gunfire, right?
Yerameyahu
Of course you'd 'bother' with close combat, he's a ganger. smile.gif Don't worry about power.
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 13 2012, 06:31 PM) *
Once I've decided not to go the rigger route, I could also throw together a cycle adept.
Would you even bother with close combat?
I'm trying to decide between a sniper style and a general firearms group build.
Mobility is a hell of an advantage for a sniper. Pop somebody from max range, speed in and clean up.

*Additionally, how does ranged dodge work? Is that just for thrown projectiles and missiles? That doesn't work on gunfire, right?

You do have good speed for melee to reach people on your bike. You might be able to talk to your GM into having extra damage due to velocity for a slashing by on your bike. Other than that, it's not really worth it.

Adepts can be good at non-melee combat. However for a biking go-ganger who rides his bike, adept isn't much more than "pay lots of point to have more dice to some tests." There's a strange VR biker build you could try with Heightened Concentration but that requires a discussion with GM. Other than that, you won't get too much. I would stay mundane and just ware it up. High reaction and agility teams up well with being a go-ganger and being good at guns, and ware delivers that in spades.

As for ranged doge, you can dodge bullets. You're not reacting to someone shooting. You're just devoting yourself to being a tougher target to hit in general. Even so, active defenses like ranged dodge isn't worth it except in very certain almost pre-planned circumstances.
yesferatu
But that only works on full-defense, right?
Normally, you just get reaction on a gunshot...right?

Would something like a monofilament whip work for moving-melee or is it too awkward to use?
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 13 2012, 08:51 PM) *
But that only works on full-defense, right?
Normally, you just get reaction on a gunshot...right?

Would something like a monofilament whip work for moving-melee or is it too awkward to use?

Yeah if you're not full-defensing, you only roll reaction against ranged attacks done by gun, bow, or thrown combat axe.

As for using a whip on a bike, I don't know.
Critias
When in doubt, go-gangers in the Shadowrun canon have always completely lived and died by the rule of cool. So, yeah. Monofilament whips should be fine. It's pretty badass to picture some skinny little Ancients chick totally chopping dudes into three or four pieces as she swoops past them on an acid green Yamaha Rapier, with an invisible string of death trailing behind her, isn't it? It's a one handed weapon, and there are a plethora of ways to describe a character as being able to ride a bike one handed, right? And plenty of canon pictures of go-gangers firing pistols or swinging swords as they ride?

So, yeah. It's kosher. "Realistic," likely not, but awesome. So unless that totally flies in the face of the campaign that your particular GM is out to run, I say go for it.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 13 2012, 10:47 PM) *
When in doubt, go-gangers in the Shadowrun canon have always completely lived and died by the rule of cool. So, yeah. Monofilament whips should be fine. It's pretty badass to picture some skinny little Ancients chick totally chopping dudes into three or four pieces as she swoops past them on an acid green Yamaha Rapier, with an invisible string of death trailing behind her, isn't it? It's a one handed weapon, and there are a plethora of ways to describe a character as being able to ride a bike one handed, right? And plenty of canon pictures of go-gangers firing pistols or swinging swords as they ride?

So, yeah. It's kosher. "Realistic," likely not, but awesome. So unless that totally flies in the face of the campaign that your particular GM is out to run, I say go for it.

Now I'm just imagine a weapon mount bike mod where there are monofilament streamers hanging from the back.
Rystefn
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jan 13 2012, 11:42 PM) *
Now I'm just imagine a weapon mount bike mod where there are monofilament streamers hanging from the back.

Just don't put them on the handlebars...
Udoshi
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Jan 13 2012, 01:47 AM) *

What my build lacks is a Pilot upgrade for the car. Pilot 3 (at least) + specialized Maneuver 3 should be enough for the situations where you need to take your hands off the wheel for a couple of turns, ie. to lean out of the window and serve that Halloweener behind you a buckshot dinner.

Motorcycle Gyro Stabilization is, in fact, a requirement for bikes to drive themselves.

Additionally, i would recommend Defense(if you plan on shooting while the bike drives, you need this) and Clearsight autosofts at a minimum.
Keep in mind that metahuman Signature is a -3 dice pool modifier to tests to see them, so if you don't want your bike running over anyone by accident, I would throw a Camera 6/Vision Enhancement 3 camera on it as well. for 900 nuyen, its basically the most cost-effective solution to not having a blind bike.
Radar 6 is pretty good/cheap(not UWBR) too, though, and you don't have to worry about the size because you have a vehicle size array.
Yerameyahu
Half a vehicle, anyway. smile.gif
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Jan 14 2012, 12:42 AM) *
Just don't put them on the handlebars...

String a Monofilament wire between the bike and a Lockheed Optic-X drone ^^
(of course, this will limit your speed to 75m / combat turn)
Seriously Mike
Now that's a real Slicycle!
yesferatu
I had a quick follow up question...
What cyberware/bioware should I buy?

If I did decide to dabble in the Rigging do I need to get a Sim Module (for hot sim) or does a Vehicle Control rig do that for me?
I'm fuzzy on the whole comlink/datajack/VCR benefits.

Yerameyahu
You'd want Hot Sim and the VCR, which are different and stack. No benefit of datajacks, trodes are more convenient; if you have any kind of limb, it's good to throw a jack in there, though. Skinlink everything.
UmaroVI
If you want to AR rig? You really don't need anything, just have multiple IP ware.

If you want to VR remote-control rig, you want a hot-sim module. You may want a Simsense Accelerator and Simsense Booster.

Either way, if you are RC-rigging, Codeslinger: Control Device and a commlink with Optimized Command 6, optimized for Command, is a good plan.

If you want to VR jumped-in rig, you want to seriously think about this one because it's not a good choice to "dabble" in jumped-in rigging - it requires very significant investment compared to RC-rigging. If you really do want to go with it, you want a Simsense Accelerator, Control Rig, and Simsense Booster. You'll also need to get yourself Biofeedback Filter, and good Willpower. Also, this means you do care about the Response and Sensor ratings of your vehicle so you should look into upgrading those.
Xenefungus
I'd go with:

Reflex Booster II
Reaction Enhancement 2
Reflexrecorder (Pilot Ground Craft)

Along with a natural Reaction of 5 and Pilot Groundcraft of 6 (and a spec) that gives you solid 18 dice already.

I also think 'dabbling' is never worth it.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Jan 17 2012, 09:15 AM) *
I'd go with:

Reflex Booster II
Reaction Enhancement 2
Reflexrecorder (Pilot Ground Craft)

Along with a natural Reaction of 5 and Pilot Groundcraft of 6 (and a spec) that gives you solid 18 dice already.

I also think 'dabbling' is never worth it.

If you were completely trying to make the best AR rigger/wheelman you wanted, here's what I woudl do.
I would do:
Genetic Heritage: Adapsin (early clinical trials/stolen black market treatment)
Restricted Gear: Move By Wire 2.
Reakt.
MAYBE an Alphaware Reaction Enhancer 1/2 to bring your reaction up to the cap.
Reflex Recorder: Dodge
Consider: Biocompatability quality
Consider: Restricted Gear: Muscle toner 4.
Skills and possibly some gear to match: Perception(Attention co-processor, reception enhancer, synch), Infiltration(stealth group reflex recorder + infiltration reflex recorder), Pilot(reflex recorder)

OR
Born Rich 10 + 60bp cash.
Restricted gear: Synaptic Booster
1 day luxury hotel lifestyle for the starting cash

Commlink: External hotsim module(cheap), command6(optimized 3, ergonomic). Hardware optimization for either Tacnet or Command. Plan on buying a Simsense Accelerator when you have cash later: its 14000y @ availability 14.
Let me please interject my plea that, instead of doing the thing that puts the most dice on the table, you play the character who is the most interesting. Imagine the person you want to play, and write down numbers that mean that. If you want to wargame, there are a variety of excellent ones available; if you want to roleplay, then shut out all this optimization crap and make the character you think will be most interesting to play.
Critias
I don't think -- however well intentioned -- starting another "roll playing vs. role playing" argument is going to help very much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012