Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gotta be a Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kolinho
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 8 2012, 01:19 AM) *
I like that last option.

A 'beat-the-magic-out-of-them-camp' that brings back mundane drug addict burn-outs to the families - under the guise of it being 'anti-magic medicine' grinbig.gif

I'm someone somewhere would be in-line to make a fair wee pack of nuyen from those drug sales huh?

Especially now they are hooked....
Troyminator
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 6 2012, 04:36 AM) *
American fundies wield their Christianity like a hammer.

I think it's wielded more a like 4x4 with rusty spikes in it.
bibliophile20
And add in another note for the "burning out the magic" camp: the people behind it would emphasize, that, just like a disease, you have to catch it quickly, before it develops, if there's any chance of a "cure." i.e. before their Magic attribute increases beyond 1 or 2; beyond that, the amount of Essence they need to deplete to get their Magic down to 0 increases that much more. Which means that there's a time crunch for the PCs...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 8 2012, 01:34 AM) *
And add in another note for the "burning out the magic" camp: the people behind it would emphasize, that, just like a disease, you have to catch it quickly, before it develops, if there's any chance of a "cure." i.e. before their Magic attribute increases beyond 1 or 2; beyond that, the amount of Essence they need to deplete to get their Magic down to 0 increases that much more. Which means that there's a time crunch for the PCs...

Um... I thought that essence loss only dropped your maximum Magic. Like, if you had 6 Essence and you only had 1 Magic, you could lose four Essence without losing any Magic, and still be able to increase Magic to 2.

Still a dickish thing for a parent to do. I imagine that Awakened characters would be especially outraged.

I should spring this one on my MagicRun players. smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 8 2012, 08:14 AM) *
Um... I thought that essence loss only dropped your maximum Magic. Like, if you had 6 Essence and you only had 1 Magic, you could lose four Essence without losing any Magic, and still be able to increase Magic to 2.

Nope - it drops both.
ShadowDragon8685
Wow, that's such bullshit.

Anyway, though, it wouldn't work though, would it? If you're Awakened and still have a maximum Magic stat somewhere above 0, you should be able to buy it up again.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 8 2012, 07:43 AM) *
Wow, that's such bullshit.

Why?
bibliophile20
Yeah, I gotta agree with TJ. Essence loss as written is one of the few restraining things that keep a mage from utterly dominating; if Essence and Magic loss didn't decrease in step, then min-maxing gets even easier.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 8 2012, 10:51 AM) *
Why?

Because it's brutally punishing for no reason whatsoever. You shouldn't lose Magic unless your maximum Magic falls below your current Magic.
KarmaInferno
No, there's a reason.

Shadowrun has ALWAYS made you choose between means of augmenting yourself. You either do it with Magic, or you do it with Machine.

Try to mix the two and it hurts. This is deliberate. You pay, hard, for having the best of both worlds.

-k
CanRay
Having the best of both worlds involves selling your soul to the Corporation and becoming a Cyberzombie. vegm.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 8 2012, 07:13 PM) *
Because it's brutally punishing for no reason whatsoever. You shouldn't lose Magic unless your maximum Magic falls below your current Magic.

No it isn't, and the reason is mages are very powerful as is. Yes you should.

Only exception you can have is if you start with 'Latent Awakening' and 5 points worth of Augmentations.

If you were playing a previous edition, you'd also have to roll for magic loss if you took a deadly wound, with an increasing risk of loss the higher your magic was. Be thankful that this is now an optional rule.
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 8 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Having the best of both worlds involves selling your soul to the Corporation and becoming a Cyberzombie. vegm.gif

An adept turned cyberzombie, if I may. Initiate once, and stock up on powerful Infusion foci grinbig.gif
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Troyminator @ Mar 8 2012, 12:01 AM) *
I think it's wielded more a like 4x4 with rusty spikes in it.

now now thats only in the south, we use that and we use the horse shoes in the satin glove approach.

personally i'm not a fundie, but I have a tendacy to scripture bust those that are, and i'mnot even christian
snowRaven
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Mar 9 2012, 04:28 PM) *
now now thats only in the south, we use that and we use the horse shoes in the satin glove approach.

personally i'm not a fundie, but I have a tendacy to scripture bust those that are, and i'mnot even christian

Fundies usually don't have as good a grasp on scripture as they think...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 9 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Too True...
bibliophile20
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 9 2012, 03:57 PM) *

Agreed. Told one of several examples that I've personally encountered upthread.
CanRay
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 9 2012, 04:57 PM) *
They can pray for God's Mercy right damned quick, let me tell you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012