Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the GMC bulldog really this crap?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ShadowDragon8685
I was looking up stats for a vehicle that would be pretty ubiquitous in Seattle and was big enough to hold a team of armed Vory soldiers and I thought "hey, the GMC Bulldog. It's the stereotypical Rigger Van."

Then I look at it... What the chrome?

It has an acceleration rating of 5/10. 5/10. By way of comparison, a Zuggsmaschine - that is, a tractor-trailer - with semi-trailer attached, accelerates at 5/20. The van will lose a drag race against a laden semi-trailer. An unladen one will smoke it.

It's gotta be a misprint somehow, isn't it? I mean, that's crap beyond crap. The Evo Orderly - an anthroform mobility chair for elderly Japanese people - accelerates faster than that!
Yerameyahu
*shrug* When does that stat even come up? If it bothers you, just change the number (the very similar Gopher pickup has /20, as well).
CanRay
Major torque differences. Van engines are cramped and tight, while the Zuggsmaschine is a Long-Nosed Tractor and can have a big CAT engine (Or some such) to give it better performance.

I figure a Cab-Over Tractor-Trailer would have the same accel.

Also, do you figure any Rigger Stepvan would be STOCK?
ShadowDragon8685
Actually, the Zuggsmaschine is a cab-over. And while a Rigger's van wouldn't really be stock, I can't imagine that they'd start something that would (badly) lose a drag race with a personal mobility vehicle (the Horseman) or (and this one is important) an Ares CityMaster/RoadMaster.
CanRay
Well, it all depends on the stock engine/transmission for either. The GMC Stepvan might be designed for pure torque, as it's supposed to haul heavy loads inside a city, while the Zuggsmaschine is designed for highway travel, and gives up a bit of torque at the higher gears to get that fast.

As for the PMV, I'm amazed how zippy some compact and sub-compact cars can be due to low weight.

The CityMaster, OTOH, is designed as a Almost-Military vehicle. The RoadMaster should have less, however, as it's outright stated that it's engine and transmission are overworked.
Yerameyahu
The Run/Walk values for all vehicles are pretty crazy, but the van *should* be slow… and it is. Step vans are big and lame. smile.gif

Top speed is probably more important, and that's low as well. It's a heavy, armored van with a weak engine. The *masters are more expensive and apparently have much better engines.
CanRay
Yes, with the RoadMaster being a downgraded version of the CityMaster's engine and transmission to make it civilian legal. They operate at nearly the same level, but burn out fast.
CanRay
Anyhow, I think all the cool teams are upgrading to Rover 2068s now or something.
Yerameyahu
I prefer the Hotspur. Walls and roofs are for sissies.

Incidentally, the Hermes van (Arsenal) is as bad/worse (higher cost) than the Bulldog.

The Zug is bad comparison because it costs almost triple what the Bulldog does.

Is it me, or does the Rover fluff specifically say, twice, that it's expensive? It's… not. :/
CanRay
I really got to go through the vehicles again...

Oh, how many 'runners are using the new Station Wagon or Chuckwagon?
Yerameyahu
If I did want a roof, though, how about the COP? Avail 6R, 18kĄ, looks solid. Slightly worse than the Rover, a bit cheaper. Unless you just gotta have the 16 Body (and presumably, cargo space) of the Bulldog.
Froggie
My upcoming character is thinking of a Gaz P-179 for life out in Puyallup and gear/swag/body hauling.

But he's not a rigger.
CanRay
Personal vehicles are just a matter of taste.

The 'Run-Mobile, OTOH... Yeah, it's gotta have space for the team and gear. So, Van, SUV, Station Wagon...
Froggie
Isn't the idea of a team van a bit of a TV trope from A-Team and all that? You don't really need one, especially if your team is a bunch of dirty squatters grinbig.gif

But seriously, I vote for the Hermes - ubiquitous & drone launching bays? Yes please.
CanRay
C-N Jackrabbit. And make the Troll sit in the back. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
Motorcycle with four sidecars.

...what?

-k
Froggie
Or a Troll driver taking up the entire internal space of a Honda Spirit subcompact, with an lucky passenger smeared up against the bubble hood. grinbig.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 6 2012, 12:47 AM) *
Motorcycle with four sidecars.

...what?

-k
DETHKLOK!!!

\m/ O \m/
Froggie
Back on topic somewhat:

I always considered the acceleration rates to only be useful when you're dealing with vehicles in very tight spaces/distances. So, not in any sort of chase or race situation.

So, for example. When you need your vehicle to get to that point over there, you can see that you can safely drive, and without disruption to people in the BMC bulldog a distance of 5 meters, and coming to a complete stop, in 3 seconds while starting from a stationary position.
Udoshi
On a whole I feel that the Arsenal vehicles just had better sense-makey stats than the Core Book ones.

The bulldog suffers from not being in that book.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 5 2012, 08:17 PM) *
I was looking up stats for a vehicle that would be pretty ubiquitous in Seattle and was big enough to hold a team of armed Vory soldiers and I thought "hey, the GMC Bulldog. It's the stereotypical Rigger Van."

Then I look at it... What the chrome?

It has an acceleration rating of 5/10. 5/10. By way of comparison, a Zuggsmaschine - that is, a tractor-trailer - with semi-trailer attached, accelerates at 5/20. The van will lose a drag race against a laden semi-trailer. An unladen one will smoke it.

It's gotta be a misprint somehow, isn't it? I mean, that's crap beyond crap. The Evo Orderly - an anthroform mobility chair for elderly Japanese people - accelerates faster than that!

Let me put this into perspective for you.
Acceleration isn't acceleration, its your Walking and Running rates.
Stupid, but hey, sure, whatever SR4. Where's my grain of salt...

An iBall rolls faster than your truck. (3/15)
A stupid remote control doohickey that you would find at a toys-r-us is faster than your van.

The 'intentionally gimped manservant?' yeah, its faster than you. (5/15).

For tactical combat, only the top-end acceleration really matters.

If the bulldog is solid, well-balanced platform that turns like a brick, it should have a high Walking speed and a lower top Running - still get the -2 for running, so its a way to reflect stability over speed.
TwoDee
Something I have learned with my shiny new drive-master-build character:

Big clunky vehicle=no.

Hyundai Shin-Hyung with every single speed and acceleration mod in the book=yes.

The engineer player in our group worked out that merely driving it would be enough to cause whiplash in an unaugmented human by real life physics.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 5 2012, 08:20 PM) *
*shrug* When does that stat even come up? If it bothers you, just change the number (the very similar Gopher pickup has /20, as well).

Meh. I'd go with this ^^^, especially if you're wanting something not made for the typical wage slave. Just say it's got a bigger engine and a different transmission in it, and that the factory floor model is built like crap.

Besides, the last time I drove a van the acceleration did suck as much as a semi's.
Midas
Yop, the GMC StepVan is pretty shitty in terms of max speed and acceleration. You would have thought it would have more bang for its overpriced price tag though ... Advantage is it's ubiquity in Seattle, cops likely won't give one a second glance usually.

For your Vory thugs though, I second that Rover 2068 emotion. Cheaper, faster and definitely the black chrome paintwork ...
snowRaven
My players are using a Stepvan atm - then again, they are currently running in Manhattan, so blending in is a lot more important than speed...
CanRay
QUOTE (Midas @ Mar 6 2012, 06:06 AM) *
Yop, the GMC StepVan is pretty shitty in terms of max speed and acceleration. You would have thought it would have more bang for its overpriced price tag though ... Advantage is it's ubiquity in Seattle, cops likely won't give one a second glance usually.
I think the cost per unit is high in order to encourage companies to go for the fleet discount.

Don't forget, GMC is owned by Ares!
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 6 2012, 07:22 AM) *
My players are using a Stepvan atm - then again, they are currently running in Manhattan, so blending in is a lot more important than speed...
Yeah, high speed pursuits last, what, a block and a half at most?
Seriously Mike
...my players' team has a Bulldog. They use it to transport a Dobermann drone, though. Team Rocket, having no rigger, use a Toyota Landstalker (I use Rover 2068 stats for it) and a civilian Honda 2340 (you know, the pursuit car. I use stats of a modded Shin-Hyung for it). The Honda is fast, while the Landstalker makes "go-gangers think twice about trying to stop one. Also, when they had stupid ideas, an SUV could take some pounding anyway."
CanRay
My one attempt at a game, my character had a Ares Hummer-Civic. It blended in with the area we were scouting quite well as I called up my contacts and worked the angles.

Game two never happened. frown.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Midas @ Mar 6 2012, 05:06 AM) *
For your Vory thugs though, I second that Rover 2068 emotion. Cheaper, faster and definitely the black chrome paintwork ...

The problem is that a black and chrome SUV with tinted windows preceding or following a modified tractor-trailer with a heavy-duty ram plate on the front just screams "Organized crime shipping something valuable here."

Since IMG Knight-Errant can't currently be bought no matter how much money you throw at them, this is currently a bad thing. (Especially since K-E recently instituted a policy letting you appear to be bought, letting the crooks leave, then calling it in and keeping your bribe and your job.) The Vory have arranged for K-E's attention to be diverted to the Tacoma docks while this thing is surfaced via smuggler submarine at Everett, loaded onto the truck and brought in through downtown, but still.

So they've got a GMC Bulldog that looks like a Stuffer Shack delivery van.

Eh, sod it. My players are probably going to 'jack everything anyway, crap or not. I'll just give the van a turbocharger and a GG Override.

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 6 2012, 06:47 AM) *
My one attempt at a game, my character had a Ares Hummer-Civic. It blended in with the area we were scouting quite well as I called up my contacts and worked the angles.

Game two never happened. frown.gif

That's a shame, CanRay.
Yerameyahu
Still. The Rover (prolly should cost more) and the COP are mere SUVs; if you really need the kind of cargo space a *van* gives, you have to get the Bulldog or the Hermes (which both drive like pigs). That's just how it is. Perhaps they're overpriced, that's all.
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 6 2012, 08:53 AM) *
Still. The Rover (prolly should cost more) and the COP are mere SUVs; if you really need the kind of cargo space a *van* gives, you have to get the Bulldog or the Hermes (which both drive like pigs). That's just how it is. Perhaps they're overpriced, that's all.
I stand by my statement that it's marketed that way to sell as fleets rather than piecemeal.
Yerameyahu
Ooh, I forgot: Bulldog gets +4 Mod Slots (Arsenal), so there's that. smile.gif
Modular Man
Whereas the Hermes comes with two small drone platforms and a body stat two higher. I'd prefer that one... but will anyway be more happy with something that can fit entire shipping containers. Nothing's quite like playing Three Card Monte when the cops are trying to find that container with the stuff you stole in the shipping lot biggrin.gif I really look forward to that.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Mar 6 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Whereas the Hermes comes with two small drone platforms and a body stat two higher. I'd prefer that one... but will anyway be more happy with something that can fit entire shipping containers. Nothing's quite like playing Three Card Monte when the cops are trying to find that container with the stuff you stole in the shipping lot biggrin.gif I really look forward to that.

The vehicle you want is the "Nordkapp Zuggmaschine." You'll need to talk the GM into letting you fit a crane arm, though. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 6 2012, 07:29 PM) *
The vehicle you want is the "Nordkapp Zuggmaschine." You'll need to talk the GM into letting you fit a crane arm, though. smile.gif
There's probably a tow-truck variant due to the weight of a lot of vehicles now with all the armor on them.

I mean, a stuck RoadMaster has to get pulled out somehow.
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2012, 12:38 AM) *
There's probably a tow-truck variant due to the weight of a lot of vehicles now with all the armor on them.

I mean, a stuck RoadMaster has to get pulled out somehow.

Levitate spell and hospital for the poor AAA mage...
Stahlseele
Remember kids: it works!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlstdCWzCY

and of course, THIS is the truck I want!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2d5r9g5L7w...feature=related
CanRay
Of course the German links to David Hasselhoff. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
The Hoff sang and the Wall fell!
ggodo
I was under the impression that was their purpose in existence. Beer and The Hoff.

Don't let either near your oscillating fan.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (ggodo @ Mar 7 2012, 06:48 AM) *
I was under the impression that was their purpose in existence. Beer and The Hoff.

Don't let either near your oscillating fan.

What... The fuck?

That... It makes no sense... But I'm laughing.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *
What... The fuck?

have you seen this one yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeH-BAm17pk
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 7 2012, 09:10 AM) *
What... The fuck?

I'm not. But I've had to fix what Norton's broke more times than I care to count.
Stahlseele
Yah.
We don't even try anything else if customers tell us they have any kind of security software on the system that's not working.
Uninstall. Reboot. Try again. Doesn't work? Call again. We'll go from there.
NiL_FisK_Urd
norton, the yellow plague ^^
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 8 2012, 01:07 AM) *
I'm not. But I've had to fix what Norton's broke more times than I care to count.

Yeah, same here...

Btw - that clip made my router crash...can't handle the Hoff wink.gif
Modular Man
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 7 2012, 12:29 AM) *

Well, I'm from Germany... The german version of "Arsenal" has another container truck in it, the Scania VM 42. Not quite as big as the Nordkapp Zugmaschine, but the smaller size comes in handy in city traffic. Still, first I'll have to come up with the tools to steal one of these (and pass those tools by my GM smile.gif ).
CanRay
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Mar 8 2012, 12:41 PM) *
Well, I'm from Germany... The german version of "Arsenal" has another container truck in it, the Scania VM 42. Not quite as big as the Nordkapp Zugmaschine, but the smaller size comes in handy in city traffic. Still, first I'll have to come up with the tools to steal one of these (and pass those tools by my GM smile.gif ).
Bastards the lot of you!

You get the good stuff, AND get to play. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
I keep telling you:
come over here and we will hook you up! ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 8 2012, 03:57 PM) *
I keep telling you:
come over here and we will hook you up! ^^
I couldn't learn French in one of the largest Francophone Cities (Per Capita) in Canada, outside of Quebec, when growing up in the French Neighbourhood.

How well do you think my German would be?

Anyhow, I'm hitting GenCon this year. HOPEFULLY someone will take pity on me...
Stahlseele
well, bull ain't known for his pity . . better get on his good side fast (better start walking now nyahnyah.gif)
*runs for his life* ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012