Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Milspec versus normal armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
toturi
I thought I recalled a discussion where someone had mooted the idea that it was possible to assemble a collection of normal armor that provided more protection than milspec assault armor. I am unable to find the thread at present (perhaps I read it over at the official SR forums).

We had a windfall and the GM lifted the availability cap in exchange for an exorbitant markup. So my character got himself an assault milspec armor with all the trimmings. However, during a session recently, I was surprised to find that another character was able to get higher armor than mine using normal armor alone. It was in the middle of the session, the other player's explanation seemed plausible, so I did not want to derail the game to check the rules.

Does anyone recall that thread or is my memory playing tricks with me? Alternately has anyone come up with a combination of armor pieces that can provide more armor than heavy milspec?
KarmaInferno
Steampunk outfit from Arsenal + Delta-Amyloid Coating from Attitude = 10 / 8
Form-Fitting under-armor from Arsenal = +6 / +2
PPP armor from Arsenal = +2 / +6

Total = 18 Ballistic / 16 impact, encumbers as 15 / 15.

If Encumbrance is a problem, Softweave from WAR can help.

Other armor sources that stack: Cyber Armor, adept 'Mystic Armor' power, 'Armor' spell.

'Increase Attribute', 'Combat Sense' and 'Deflection' spells help indirectly.

-k
Yerameyahu
I thought all you had to do was take SWAT and add PPP? Something simple like that. Why would you want to? wink.gif
Neraph
With the proper cyberlimbs you can get 24/24 armor nekkid. Or something like that. If you really want I can sick Ragewind on this thread...
Yerameyahu
OP seems to be asking about worn armor.
Neraph
Not exclusively. Gimme some time to number crunch.

EDIT:

Strength 2 - 10 BP
R2 Muscle Augmentation - 14,000 nuyen.gif
Softweave Armor Jacket - 990 nuyen.gif
Softweave full PPP - 1,100 nuyen.gif
Softweave FFBA Full Suit - 1,760 nuyen.gif
Softweave Helmet - 110 nuyen.gif

17(9)/16(9)

With cyberware it goes up (R2 Dermal Plating or R3 Orthoskin from chargen). You can also put Gel Packs in eight pieces. Metatype matters, as a SURGE'd troll with extra bone bits can get a natural something like 3/3 armor on top of all that. And I'm not even trying that hard.
Manunancy
Even if it's rule-legal, adding softweave to the PPP (which fluff-wise is hard* armor) and even worse to a helmet seems ludicrous. A soft helmet doesn't sounds like it should be that effective as an impact armor..

* hard as in 'made with hard, rigid material', the similarity with 'hardened' is only in semantics.
Glyph
Other armor suits, unlike military-grade armor, can stack with riot shields, gel packs, PPP, and FFBA. The main advantages of military-grade armor are that it is hardened armor, and that you can get some very useful special modifications for it.
Thanee
Is military-grade armor still hardened? I thought that wasn't so in SR4.

Bye
Thanee
UmaroVI
I'm going to assume your group does not allow the "I can totally softweave multiple pieces of armor!111" option which lets you get infinity armor, and does not allow shenanigans like stacking PPP with MilSpec, attaching PPP to FFBA and halving the encumbrance of the PPP, or other silly stuff like that.

In that case, the answer is that for people with sufficiently low BODY and Strength (the cutoff being 4xBody+Strength > 30), MilSpec is indeed the best you can do because of the encumbrance divided by 3 thing and the ignore encumbrance mod.

For people with high body, MilSpec isn't very good because of the lockout. You can't get better than 18/16, so if you have 4xBody+Strength > 30, you can do better by stacking up other armor types. The typical setup is going to be some variant of:

SWAT Armour+Helmet
FFBA
PPP
Moonsilver Line Scarf with a Weave (Attitude)
Quizzel Fairy/Dragon wings with a different Weave (Attitude)
Ballistic Mask (War!)

I'm also assuming you can't stack multiple copies of the same weave on a single character, or put multiple weaves on one piece of armor, although those are less gamebreaking and lead more to "look less silly while wearing the same amount of armor" than "olol broken."
Thanee
I totally think a Moonsilver Line Scarf looks absolutely snazzy on SWAT Armor. For the fashion-sensitive SWAT'ers. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
UmaroVI
Why you hating on the Tactical Neck Insulator?
Thanee
No hating there. I just think it makes for a rather funny picture.

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Mar 28 2012, 12:43 PM) *

What are these Quizzel wings, BTW?

With Weave you mean the Armor options on Attitude p. 160, right?

Bye
Thanee
UmaroVI
Yes, those weaves.

Quizzel fairy/dragon wings are also in Attitude. They are a +1/+1 accessory.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 28 2012, 05:59 AM) *
With the proper cyberlimbs you can get 24/24 armor nekkid. Or something like that. If you really want I can sick Ragewind on this thread...
This would give you a pretty big head (Bulk mod 2 there). Normally 22/22 is the maximum.

QUOTE (Thanee @ Mar 28 2012, 09:52 AM) *
Is military-grade armor still hardened? I thought that wasn't so in SR4.
It still is. It's vehicle armor that is not de jure hardened but since vehicles lack a stun track, it de facto is. Interestingly bullet resistant glass does not help people if it is installed in a vehicle. Contrary to normal barriers, the vehicle armor is still penetrated even if the attack's DV does not exceed the vehicle's armor. silly.gif

P.S. The Tactical Neck Insulator made me laugh. For the less fashion conscious isn't there a stackable balaclava somewhere?
UmaroVI
I don't think MilSpec is Hardened Armor. It does stop 0 DV attacks like darts, but that's not Hardened Armor.

Edit: the balaclava you are thinking of is probably the Ballistic Mask I mentioned.
Shortstraw
I can find a section about darts and such not being able to penetrate military armour but where is the section about it being hardened?
Dakka Dakka
you are right. I was mistaken.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Mar 28 2012, 06:43 AM) *
I'm going to assume your group does not allow the "I can totally softweave multiple pieces of armor!111" option which lets you get infinity armor, and does not allow shenanigans like stacking PPP with MilSpec, attaching PPP to FFBA and halving the encumbrance of the PPP, or other silly stuff like that.

In that case, the answer is that for people with sufficiently low BODY and Strength (the cutoff being 4xBody+Strength > 30), MilSpec is indeed the best you can do because of the encumbrance divided by 3 thing and the ignore encumbrance mod.

For people with high body, MilSpec isn't very good because of the lockout. You can't get better than 18/16, so if you have 4xBody+Strength > 30, you can do better by stacking up other armor types. The typical setup is going to be some variant of:

SWAT Armour+Helmet
FFBA
PPP
Moonsilver Line Scarf with a Weave (Attitude)
Ballistic Mask (War!)

I'm also assuming you can't stack multiple copies of the same weave on a single character, or put multiple weaves on one piece of armor, although those are less gamebreaking and lead more to "look less silly while wearing the same amount of armor" than "olol broken."

Remember, that even if you have high body/strength, MilSpec may still be better because of the special add-ons that require milspec. For example, if your already at your augmented strength cap, Milspec armor strength add-on can take you above that. I don't have the books in front of me, but i believe you can get things like built in gyro-stabalizers and automated shoulder guns...thats always sweet right?
Thanee
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Mar 28 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Yes, those weaves.

Quizzel fairy/dragon wings are also in Attitude. They are a +1/+1 accessory.

Aha! Found them now under Steampunk Gear. Thanks! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
UmaroVI
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Mar 28 2012, 08:34 AM) *
Remember, that even if you have high body/strength, MilSpec may still be better because of the special add-ons that require milspec. For example, if your already at your augmented strength cap, Milspec armor strength add-on can take you above that. I don't have the books in front of me, but i believe you can get things like built in gyro-stabalizers and automated shoulder guns...thats always sweet right?

You can get nifty things, yes. The highlights are:

Mounted weapons that have built-in pilot programs and can fire themselves. This is alright, but not really that great because you could also just get a drone to do this.

Foot Anchors that give you extra recoil compensation. This is really good if you don't have cyberlegs with foot anchors already.

Gyromount that works like a Cyberarm Gyromount. This is also really good if you don't have a cyberarm with a gyromount already.

The mobility upgrade is part of what lets relatively weak people wear MilSpec and is of course good. It's not a reason to take milspec if you have enough body to wear heavier armor, though.

Strength Upgrade is one of very few ways to break augmented maxima on Strength. Strength is of marginal value for most people but for some characters this is worth it.

What it comes down to is that it really depends how much armor you're giving up and what you're getting for it that you wouldn't have anyways. Is it worth giving up 10 points of armor for +3 strength? Probably not. Is it worth giving up 2 points of armor for 5 recoil compensation? Yeah, most likely it is.

Warlordtheft
And the final question is how much of it can I wear before KE or LS start forcefully asking questions such as why do you neeed that much armor. Do you think that this is some kind of warzone. Of course in Lagos, Bogata and certain lawless locales this is a non issue. But in those sam locales you'll draw the attention of other interested parties.

Question, how often do you bring up being over armored as an out of place thing?
Neraph
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 28 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Question, how often do you bring up being over armored as an out of place thing?

There is such a thing as being over armored?

But seriously, I don't actually abuse the armor system in-game. My mage has a 4 Body and 10/8 armor that counts as 8/7 IIRC; a couple pieces of PPP, some FFBA, and an Armor Vest - just enough to make me competitive. Someone was making a troll street samurai for the same group and through cyberware, PPP, and armor he ended up with 19/18 armor on 10 Body and the GM started getting upset though. I mentioned how he could actually go much higher, or how just sitting in a vehicle can get you near 40 armor without anything else, but that didn't seem to help.
Dakka Dakka
In Lagos or Bogotá Milspec will probably be the only option for armor. Only MilSpec comes with a cooling system. Full Body Armor and SWAT Armor may be allowed to get such an upgrade.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 28 2012, 10:01 AM) *
There is such a thing as being over armored?

But seriously, I don't actually abuse the armor system in-game. My mage has a 4 Body and 10/8 armor that counts as 8/7 IIRC; a couple pieces of PPP, some FFBA, and an Armor Vest - just enough to make me competitive. Someone was making a troll street samurai for the same group and through cyberware, PPP, and armor he ended up with 19/18 armor on 10 Body and the GM started getting upset though. I mentioned how he could actually go much higher, or how just sitting in a vehicle can get you near 40 armor without anything else, but that didn't seem to help.

Can the troll hug a suicide bomber and take no damage?

No.

I was in a game where one could.
(NPC was seeing that nothing was effecting him, so he pulled a grenades (or was it two?), flipped the pin(s), and ran in close suicide bomber style. The troll gave him a hug and resisted every point of damage).
Neraph
I want to stat up a troll that fights with claymores. Not the swords, but straps claymores to his fists and punches people, making the explosives detonate and taking no damage in the process. I know it can be done.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 28 2012, 09:05 AM) *
I want to stat up a troll that fights with claymores. Not the swords, but straps claymores to his fists and punches people, making the explosives detonate and taking no damage in the process. I know it can be done.

Brings new meaning to the "Explosive power of his punches"
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 28 2012, 10:05 AM) *

He should also get the adept power of elemental fists, and choose "blast" as his element.
Thanee
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 28 2012, 05:05 PM) *

Just make sure he can read. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 28 2012, 02:57 PM) *
And the final question is how much of it can I wear before KE or LS start forcefully asking questions such as why do you neeed that much armor. Do you think that this is some kind of warzone. Of course in Lagos, Bogata and certain lawless locales this is a non issue. But in those sam locales you'll draw the attention of other interested parties.

Oddly enough due to armor clothing and the weaves from Arsenal, the opposite can actually be an issue. For runners in 5-6 body range and with softweave, they can hit their encumbrance cap in fancy clothes pretty easily, but it's more difficult to do so with more "street" clothing. Thus you might end up way overdressing for that meet in the barrens.
Thanee
As if the 14/11 from Armor Jacket with FFBA Half-Body and PPP (sans Helmet) isn't enough armor for the barrens. And also completely inconspicious. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
UmaroVI
You can't Carbon-Boron an armor jacket - it's not armor clothing.
Thanee
You are right, of course. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Halinn
When you're building your complete armor set, don't forget the humble gel pack armor mod.
Thanee
Gel packs are not exactly inconspicious, though. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
JonathanC
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Mar 27 2012, 10:31 PM) *
Even if it's rule-legal, adding softweave to the PPP (which fluff-wise is hard* armor) and even worse to a helmet seems ludicrous. A soft helmet doesn't sounds like it should be that effective as an impact armor..

* hard as in 'made with hard, rigid material', the similarity with 'hardened' is only in semantics.

GM common sense counts for a lot. I had to deny someone putting gel packs on form-fitting body armor last night. Just seemed ridiculous.
Yerameyahu
Especially if it's under something and using its special stacking bonus. …The one that comes from the special thinness and fit.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 28 2012, 10:35 AM) *
Especially if it's under something and using its special stacking bonus. …The one that comes from the special thinness and fit.

Precisely my reason for disallowing it. As it is, he's a troll adept with 17 ballistic armor. He's new to the system, and I'm happy for him, but c'mon...

I'm not worried though; he had help from a guy who knows Adepts very well, but he mostly picked the powers himself, and his build is...not optimized, IMO. Who takes Sustenance as a power? Why focus so much on strength and melee atttack skills, then take Krav Maga as your martial art? But I digress...

Back on the topic of armor, I'm considering re-statting the Lone Star/Knight Errant goons to take advantage of armor stacking. Form-fitting armor is really cheap for what it does, and if you were being shot at as often as LS/KE guys are, you'd be a moron not to dig into your own pockets and buy at least a half-suit for yourself, if the company wouldn't pay for it.
Thanee
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 28 2012, 08:41 PM) *
Who takes Sustenance as a power?

Me! biggrin.gif

Back on the topic of armor, I'm considering re-statting the Lone Star/Knight Errant goons to take advantage of armor stacking. Form-fitting armor is really cheap for what it does, and if you were being shot at as often as LS/KE guys are, you'd be a moron not to dig into your own pockets and buy at least a half-suit for yourself, if the company wouldn't pay for it.

I do that, anyways. I never use the listed equipment, but give them reasonable equipment. Especially, when it is from newer books that have come out afterwards.

Bye
Thanee
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Thanee @ Mar 28 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Me! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee

As do I... smile.gif
KarmaInferno
I would point out that a major advantage of the outfit I posted earlier is that it doesn't immediately LOOK like armor.

-k
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 28 2012, 08:55 PM) *
I would point out that a major advantage of the outfit I posted earlier is that it doesn't immediately LOOK like armor.

Consider how often it's worn by shadowrunners, steampunk suits are armor. It's just armor that isn't polite to point out as such.
Yerameyahu
On the other hand, it looks like you're wearing a steampunk suit. frown.gif You deserve whatever happens to you.
JonathanC
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 28 2012, 12:01 PM) *
On the other hand, it looks like you're wearing a steampunk suit. frown.gif You deserve whatever happens to you.

Can you imagine watching security cameras in the 2070s?

"Sir, there's a....foppish ork dandy and an elf in a hoop skirt and corset penetrating the south perimeter."

"Sound the alarm and don your tophats! We've got Shadowrunners!"
Manunancy
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 28 2012, 08:41 PM) *
Precisely my reason for disallowing it. As it is, he's a troll adept with 17 ballistic armor. He's new to the system, and I'm happy for him, but c'mon...

I'm not worried though; he had help from a guy who knows Adepts very well, but he mostly picked the powers himself, and his build is...not optimized, IMO. Who takes Sustenance as a power? Why focus so much on strength and melee atttack skills, then take Krav Maga as your martial art? But I digress...

Depending on his lifestyle, a troll is probably the race that gets the most use out of it, especially if you put on certain bioware like a symbiont or suprathyroid. It can save a lot on the food budget...
VykosDarkSoul
Ive found that a decent combo for a fist fighter is Chain mail and FFBA, its not to expensive and gives a reasonable evened out armor stat (Plus, cmon....its CHAINMAIL...it just screams badass)
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Mar 28 2012, 02:43 PM) *
Can you imagine watching security cameras in the 2070s?

"Sir, there's a....foppish ork dandy and an elf in a hoop skirt and corset penetrating the south perimeter."

"Sound the alarm and don your tophats! We've got Shadowrunners!"

I say there chap, would you be so kind as to drop your guns and put up your hands. No? Very well then. ::Pulls out a white glove and slaps the foppish ork:: Have at you!
UmaroVI
When you see a troll in a steampunk suit, fairy wings, a Dr. Who scarf, and four hats, you know shit is going down.
Thanee
Oh no! He is wearing a scarf! And fairy wings! Grab the rocket launcher!

Bye
Thanee
Dakka Dakka
Thor shot this fashion victim, to put him out of his misery!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012