Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open Tests
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm saying that it's inconcievable for a mundane character to reliably adapt to astral conditions to remain concealed reliably. There's really been no solid explanation for how such a feat would be accomplished.

This thread is now filled with ways to conceal yourself from an astral observer. Perhaps if you told us why the things posted so far aren't reliable enough for you, we could help. Otherwise I don't know what to say other than "no, you're wrong".
TinkerGnome
If I had a PC trying to be stealthy on the astral plane, I'd allow a roll as normal, with the following modifiers:

-2 Character is not able to see into the astral plane while moving
-2 Character is not able to see into the astral plane at all (cumulative with the above)
-2 Character focus is stealth on the material plane

And the material plane stealth would be subjected to the modifier:

-2 Character's focus is stealth on the astral plane

The character can either focus on the material stealth or the astral stealth and take a -2 to his roll for the one he's not focusing on. It might be possible to overcome some of the astral modifiers with training (but not all).

Bob the adept attempts to sneak into a facility with astral watchers on duty and mundane guards. He rolls his 8 dice of stealth and gets 8, 5, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1. He doesn't have astral perception, but he's more worried about the watchers than the mundane guards. The TN to spot him on the astral is a base 4, the TN on the mateiral is a base 6. If Bob had astral perception, but didn't have it on, the TNs would be 6 and 6. If Bob was astrally perceiving at the time, the TNs would be 8 and 4.

Sound fair to anyone? Too harsh? I think it gives the PC a lot of power in how he wants to use his abilities.

Oh, and quote time:
QUOTE (SR3 p 171)
...to see anything actually present in astral space... does not require a Perception Test unless an astral being is specificly trying to hide from you.
Arethusa
Ok, let's take a look at the elements mentioned so far for stealth and see how they stack up:

Background Count: While it'd be great if everywhere in SR had a standard background count of +1 or +2, this is simply not so. Yes, walking through downtown Seattle on an afternoon would probably be +2. Yes, even at during the late evening, when people are getting sparse, +1. But half an hour after those people are gone, we're down to 0. And 0 means very visible.

Bacteria: Not happening. Either mages are quite a bit more blind than I've ever seen mentioned, or this is just silly and they only see a light amount of background color.

Hiding with other living things: Great, if I'm hiding in a forest, on a lawn, or in a crowd of people. Useless if I'm slinking through a corporate facility.

Hiding behind physical things: Sounds simple, right? Only, I'm infiltrating, and how can I know when is safe to move and when I should hide? I can't spend all my time huddled under my Mage Proof Desk.

Small awakened population: Assuming I can find out if magical security is present— which is unlikely, even with the best legwork— best I can hope for as a mundane is to pack my bags and go home. If I can't find out, like all unexpected security measures, I just need to be cautious, prepared, and adaptable, right? No. I can't be any of these things since I can never see it coming, provided it's there, and since a profession will assume it is in lieu of good intelligence, this just sucks.

Stealth!: Great, the skill works mechanically, but dropping the numbers, it makes no sense.

Earth aura: Either this aura is a lot stronger than I think or it's not enough, given that those percieving and projecting have no trouble seeing anything on the astral plane unless the target is specifically hiding (see above).

I see some potential for hiding, certainly, but the inability to adapt to the situation is what kills this for me. I don't see any way of reliably counteracting astral perception while I do see that with most other security measures.

Tinker, are those -2s to the target number or what? If they are, some of them don't make sense. If they're not, they just make a bad situation ridiculously worse.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 16 2004, 01:48 AM)
Tinker, are those -2s to the target number or what?  If they are, some of them don't make sense.  If they're not, they just make a bad situation ridiculously worse.

The -2s are to the roll of the TN of the roll to notice a person being stealthy. The basic idea is this:
  • What provides cover on the physical plane may or may not provide cover on the astral plane. (the TN modifiers for which plane you are focusing on)
  • Effectively hiding requires one to see the environment that they are going through (the TN modifiers for not being actively percieving)
  • If one has never seen the plane in question and works only from second hand knowledge, it is much harder to be stealthy (the TN modifiers for not being able to percieve at all) -- I'd apply the same modifier to a blind person trying to hide on the physical plane.
Does that make stealth on the astral plane hard? Yes, yes it does. Is it better than no stealth at all on the astral plane? Yes, yes it is.

If I were to really want to use these rules, I'd probably sit down and add a few more modifiers. Such as individuals with essence < 3 get a +2 to their stealth total and those with essence < 1 get a +4 since they are less vibrant on the astral plane. Initiation grades might be a negative modifier for magicly active characters, as well, because they are more powerfully present on the astral (masking fixes this, of course).
Arethusa
That's fair, but if you do go that route, I'd like to toss in a variety of bonuses that mundane (and, as you mentioned, especially ones with low essence) have access to. Otherwise, there really ends up being no way to get around any of this. +6 to my stealth roll is practically what I'd get in broad daylight on a busy street, and though that may be applicable here, it shouldn't be.
Rev
Oh yea, isnt there a rule someplace that the t# to see a person in astral space is 10-essence?

There was in SR2, not sure about SR3. Maybe that is only for assenssing in sr3?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012