Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand of God
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Raven the Trickster
@VykosDarkSoul

Do you think you could PM me those ramming house rules? It's likely to come up in the near future with my group and I'm not all that satisfied with the RAW either. I'd like to see what someone else has done.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Raven the Trickster @ Jun 21 2012, 05:58 PM) *
@VykosDarkSoul

Do you think you could PM me those ramming house rules? It's likely to come up in the near future with my group and I'm not all that satisfied with the RAW either. I'd like to see what someone else has done.

I'd be interested too - worth a new thread?
VykosDarkSoul
As soon as i get him to put it in a legible (and digital) format I will get it up on here in a new thread! its on about 3 different notebooks right now i think, spread out, in corners and margins, etc. lol.
ShadowDragon8685
I too would like to call for a new thread for rewrote ramming rules.
vladski
Quoting myself because I am just that chill wink.gif :

QUOTE (vladski @ Jun 19 2012, 02:28 PM) *
"De nada, chummer. I am always interested in how others handle their games. I take a lot away from DS in improved ways to handle things in my own games..."
Vlad

I, too, would be interested in seeing your ramming rules.

Vlad

VykosDarkSoul
Here you go!
Neraph
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ Jun 20 2012, 01:09 PM) *
example. Auto-fire Machine gun firing at you, you think it will geek you and either A) dont have enough dice to dodge or B) dont think you want to chance it. - Burn an edge for a critical success on the dodge test , i.e. avoid the attack entirely.

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jun 20 2012, 01:46 PM) *
This bothers me about burning edge. The swing space of the effect of burning edge is huge.

It goes from... Critical Success on a Hacking test, to avoiding getting geeked, to making a death not occur albeit with some penalties.

QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ Jun 20 2012, 02:25 PM) *
Kinda one of the reasons why we limited the HoG to 1 time. and as for the crit success on hacking, well, if you REALLY want to burn it for that...nyahnyah.gif

Please keep in mind:

QUOTE (SR4A, page 75, Burning Edge)
Automatically achieve a critical success on one action. The character must be capable of carrying out the action - you can't buy a critical success for something you have no hope of achieving.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 22 2012, 01:51 PM) *
Please keep in mind:

No critical success if you have no hope of achieving. What's the best way to interpret that?

That your dice pool + edge dice must be 4 dice more than the threshold? That's what I would use. Extraordinary luck where every dice rolled comes up as a hit.

Since if you have 18 dice on your attack pool and you have 3 edge and burn edge for a critical success to kill a target and the defender has 14 dice and 3 edge, I would say the defender could only survive by using HoG.

Of course, the critical success has to be possible... so if I have a sniper shoot someone from a hidden position, they couldn't burn edge to critically succeed the defense test anyway since the defense test isn't possible because they're unaware of the attack.

So you can't burn edge for a damage resist test since there's no such thing as a critical success, though you can spend edge, leaving your only option for burning edge for HoG.
Jeremiah Kraye
If you can roll 1 dice, you have a hope of achieving it... (by chance) if you only need 1 hit. At the very least you have to meet the threshold in dice rolled. If the threshold is 3 and you can roll 3 dice, you have a "chance" to hit it.

So if negative modifiers lower your dice to 0 you have no hope. Just saying. Unless the GM wants to go the opposing roll turning into hits from dice (4 dice - 1 hit).
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Jeremiah Kraye @ Jun 22 2012, 03:01 PM) *
If you can roll 1 dice, you have a hope of achieving it... (by chance).

So if negative modifiers lower your dice to 0 you have no hope. Just saying. Unless the GM wants to go the opposing roll turning into hits from dice (4 dice - 1 hit).

Um. If something has a threshold of 3 and you have 1 die, how can you succeed? No matter what, you'll never be able to achieve more than 2 meters on that horizontal long jump. Likewise, if in an opposed check I roll 15 dice and get 5 hits and you have 1 die, you have no chance of success. You simply cannot acquire the necessary number of hits to succeed.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jun 22 2012, 02:02 PM) *
Likewise, if in an opposed check I roll 15 dice and get 5 hits and you have 1 die, you have no chance of success. You simply cannot acquire the necessary number of hits to succeed.

Unless he has a 4 edge. He has 1 die, plus 4 from edge, burns that edge point for a critical sucess.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Come on Guys... he can be at 1 Die, and 1 Edge and still have a chance of hitting a Threshold of 100. Not bloody Likely, to be certain, but statistically, the chance is NOT 0. Therefore, by the Rule as written, he has a chance, and can therefore BURN that Edge to Succeed with a CriticaL Success...

That being said, tables are going to fall somewhere in the rational zone.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 22 2012, 03:59 PM) *
Come on Guys... he can be at 1 Die, and 1 Edge and still have a chance of hitting a Threshold of 100. Not bloody Likely, to be certain, but statistically, the chance is NOT 0. Therefore, by the Rule as written, he has a chance, and can therefore BURN that Edge to Succeed with a CriticaL Success...

That being said, tables are going to fall somewhere in the rational zone.

Wow...good point, didnt think about it like that, exploding 6's ftw!
almost normal
It's why statistics are the liberal arts of math. Scientific impossibilities start after a few decimal points.
Chimera
For the Hand of God, (I like Deus Ex Machina because it makes me sound smarmy), I will allow a character to burn a point of edge to avoid death more than once in a campaign (up to as many edge that they have) but only once per encounter and only if they have a point of edge remaining to use. When the player has burned edge permanently, thus far its been to avoid so-called "mega damage" (like damage in excess of 20P or a full-auto shot point blank to the eye). In this case, the PC somehow survives the action, but is severely disabled (maybe one CM box left), so even then he might still die. Thus far the team has always been able to pull the other character away from the brink but fate is fickle...

My reasoning for allowing Hand of God-type actions more than once per campaign for a character is my view that in my game, Shadowrunners are a breed apart who live hard and die hard. They've invested the time (and building points) to create a character with an Edge attribute, so why not let them use it. It also creates more of a cinematic feel that I think the players (read: the players in my campaign and not necessarily yours) enjoy.

In all other cases, I let the dice fall where they may. I also don't allow the "Common Sense" quality in my game.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Chimera @ Jun 22 2012, 02:20 PM) *
In all other cases, I let the dice fall where they may. I also don't allow the "Common Sense" quality in my game.

That makes sense, because Common Sense isn't... smile.gif
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 22 2012, 04:27 PM) *
That makes sense, because Common Sense isn't... smile.gif

common, that is....nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Common Sense?
Neraph
QUOTE (Jeremiah Kraye @ Jun 22 2012, 02:01 PM) *
If you can roll 1 dice, you have a hope of achieving it... (by chance) if you only need 1 hit. At the very least you have to meet the threshold in dice rolled. If the threshold is 3 and you can roll 3 dice, you have a "chance" to hit it.

I posted what I did in direct response to someone stating that they'd allow someone with no dice and no chance of dodging to burn and Edge to get a Critical Success on his Dodge Test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012