Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy Character Ideas?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
almost normal
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 19 2012, 09:04 AM) *
Brain-Jars don't really care what your essence is, it becomes 0.1

I think the other problem is, when he gets his magic back (in whatever ass backwards way) he'll start re-regenerating his body, much to the chagrin of said jar.
Jeremiah Kraye
How do you regenerate something that no long has a central point to regenerate from? In order to regenerate a body you need to have space to regenerate everything else, from the spinal column down, regeneration can only happen inside real bounds. If you chop an arm off then cap it with metal your arm won't regrow past the cap until you remove it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jeremiah Kraye @ Jul 19 2012, 02:04 PM) *
How do you regenerate something that no long has a central point to regenerate from? In order to regenerate a body you need to have space to regenerate everything else, from the spinal column down, regeneration can only happen inside real bounds. If you chop an arm off then cap it with metal your arm won't regrow past the cap until you remove it.

Not by RAW.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Jeremiah Kraye @ Jul 19 2012, 02:04 PM) *

It'll push the cap right off. Might be painful for the sucker with a missing arm, but, that's what'll happen.

Ever see a tree growing from a cleft in a big boulder? That cleft didn't used to be there, until the boulder got in the way of a growing young tree ...
Novocrane
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 20 2012, 12:04 AM) *
Brain-Jars don't really care what your essence is, it becomes 0.1

If any condition other than Essence Loss or another character or spirit using the Essence Drain power were to cause the Infected character to lose Essence—such as receiving a cyberware implant, or a burnout addiction—the cost is subtracted from their maximum Essence instead.

Transplanting an adult brain into a CCU requires removing pre-existing implants (with the possible exception of cultured bioware,at the game master’s discretion). This removal may be considered part of the surgery. In addition to requiring delta-grade medical facilities,the brain transplant surgery requires a Medicine (Transplant Surgery)+Logic(20,1hour) Extended Test.

At the end of the surgery, the cyborg is left with an Essence of 0.1

I respectfully disagree. That first 1.0 Essence Loss (after surgery) will be a kicker.
Draco18s
So you quoted the exact rule that backs up my point and don't explain.

I am confused.
Udoshi
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jul 19 2012, 10:37 AM) *
I think the other problem is, when he gets his magic back (in whatever ass backwards way) he'll start re-regenerating his body, much to the chagrin of said jar.

It doesn't matter, though, because deltaware is explicitly compatable with Regeneration.

QUOTE (Novocrane @ Jul 19 2012, 07:12 PM) *
I respectfully disagree. That first 1.0 Essence Loss (after surgery) will be a kicker.

Help me understand this - are you saying that the essence loss from the surgery doesn't matter, until you lose the normal amount you would need to lose a point of magic?
Novocrane
"... left with an Essence of 0.1" isn't the same as "your essence ... becomes 0.1". There is a definable loss - everything but what you are left with.

Then, looking at how essence costs from surgery are treated; "any condition other than Essence Loss or another character or spirit using the Essence Drain power" affects their maximum essence. Leaving 0.1 maximum, and 0.2 as a hard maximum when draining essence.

Without a seriously customised brain jar, that first loss kills the vampire in a week or so. Even then, they're ruined for draining / spending essence.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Jul 20 2012, 04:08 AM) *
"... left with an Essence of 0.1" isn't the same as "your essence ... becomes 0.1". There is a definable loss - everything but what you are left with.

Q: If you have 0.001 essence before becoming a brain in a jar...what is your essence score after doing so?
Q: What if you have 12 essence before becoming a (dragon) brain in a jar?
Neraph
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Jul 19 2012, 01:42 AM) *
What's the deal with the vampire brain in a jar?

I thought they lost maximum essence from implants, rather than current essence, due to that drain thing.

And no. Vampires have Essence maximum of 6 and Essence Drain allows them to drain up to twice their normal maximum. If you reduce that maximum permanently (implants) it not only reduces their normal maximum but also the maximum they can drain. Runner's Companion, page 77, Magic and Essence, fifth paragraph (third and fourth for context). It specifically says so.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 20 2012, 08:03 AM) *
Q: If you have 0.001 essence before becoming a brain in a jar...what is your essence score after doing so?
Q: What if you have 12 essence before becoming a (dragon) brain in a jar?

A1) 0.1.
A2) (assuming they have the facility for it) 0.1.
almost normal
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 20 2012, 12:22 AM) *
It doesn't matter, though, because deltaware is explicitly compatable with Regeneration.

The facility is required to have delta-grade equipment. Deltaware isn't what's installed. There's no need for the mechanical parts to interact with anything biological, thus negating the entire concept of 'ware' in regards to it interacting with essence.

almost normal
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 20 2012, 10:03 AM) *

Oooooh. That's an awesome line of thinking. What's the maximum amount of essence that can be chewed up by putting bioware into a brain?

If it can be coaxed to the .9 area, Given a jumpstart of magic and a removal of said bioware, he could regenerate his body back.
Udoshi
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jul 20 2012, 08:19 AM) *
The facility is required to have delta-grade equipment. Deltaware isn't what's installed. There's no need for the mechanical parts to interact with anything biological, thus negating the entire concept of 'ware' in regards to it interacting with essence.

Like I said earlier, that depends on your interpretation of the order rules were published in. I addressed this issue pretty specifically - the CCU description says it counts as deltaware, in which case its compatable with regeneration.
Or its a vehicle mod, in which case it doesn't trigger the ware incompatability clause.

Lantzer
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jul 13 2012, 10:48 PM) *
He asked for crazy ideas, not standard wink.gif

Okay, how about a cyborg stuck in an Otomo designed to be an executive companion/assistant/bodyguard? Discretely armored, maxed out on the mimic option, and with a full suite of activesofts and knowsofts for Secretarial/Bodyguard/Doxy work.

Add a malfunctioning implant disadvantage to get some points and have the skillsoft system grab the wrong skill library on a glitch. Could be entertaining.
Krishach
as for brain in a jar surgery for essence loss, I've seen it as a surgery requiring such an amount of essence. For a regular person, this works regardless of upgrades, since they'd have an essence hole.

There is likewise no text saying that those drained of essence from Essence Drain power don't then have an essence hole either. It doesn't say they cannot regain their essence through genetherapy that I've read, either.

So they'd be fine.

However, those who have lost essence directly from HMHVV infections, whether they turn or not, have the problem of lost essence that I am less certain would leave a hole. Still, there is again no text stating that there is not a hole, nor text stating their "maximum essence" goes down (excepting those with Essence Loss).

Finally, critters with Essence Loss drop their maximum essence with cyberware of delta grade. Taking into account book wording only, surgery leaving them with 0.1 essence would mean it is irregardless of their current essence. Likely this would be fatal.

This last is, in my opinion, a gross abuse of rules, but there is again nothing that says their maximum essence goes down, just that they are left with 0.1. It should be possible then to go through the surgery with, say, 6 essence, end up with 0.1 after, and then immediately drain something to recover more. Even at 0 essence, the creature lives for Body + Willpower days.

However, the test to make an Essence Drain is Charisma + Magic, and the book specifically says your Magic goes to 0. Is there any text saying that a critter loses it's critter-powers if it loses it's Magic Rating?

I hate ambiguous wording. Our House interpretation: infected, and former infected without genetherapy, cannot go through cyberization due to disease changes (good luck finding a facility that would work on you anyway).
Neraph
A Special Infected Cyborg-zombie would be intimidating.
Udoshi
Another thread reminded me of this idea.

I'd wanted to play a Free Spirit of Rock and Roll - maybe metal, I hadn't decided.
His streetname would be King, as he sometimes pretends to be the return of Elvis Himself.
Just a complete larger-than-life rockstar archetype that just happens to be a spirit enamoured with the idea. One who makes full use of spirits supernatural abilities to this effect. Elemental power over Sound, Metal, maybe Fire too. Realistic Form and Mutable Form to make his own costumes. Influence and guard, probably, maybe some more Illusion spells for stage effects.
Bump it up a notch with some Surged Unusual Hair(Rock Star hair), meaning he has to have it all the time, no matter what form he's in, and pick up Biosonar for a perfect singing voice. Inspired to bump up your Artisan skill to superhuman levels.
Eventaully grab the Free Spirit power of Wealth, and use it for absolutely trivial things like red carpet parades and pulling flowers, roses, and autographs.

Makki
A hermetic Magician with a Mental spells sspect. He's paraplegic, bound to his awesome tricked out wheel chair. His lodge is a big empty spherical room in the basement, from which he can do awesome ritual magic.

He's also loaded.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 29 2012, 03:32 AM) *
A hermetic Magician with a Mental spells sspect. He's paraplegic, bound to his awesome tricked out wheel chair. His lodge is a big empty spherical room in the basement, from which he can do awesome ritual magic.

He's also loaded.

I see what you did there.
Neraph
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 29 2012, 01:32 AM) *

He's also loaded.

Voiced by Emperor Uriel Septim VII?
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jul 31 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Voiced by Emperor Uriel Septim VII?

As much as I like Picard it has to be Tiberius from friends and heroes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012