Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fetishes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Midas
QUOTE (almost normal @ Aug 6 2012, 02:18 PM) *
Problem is, a fetish can be *anything*. Try noticing the acorn clenched in the fist of a druidic shaman while he's got a gun in the other hand.

The way I rule it is that the mage has to play with the fetish like a catholic or Buddhist might twiddle with a rosary or a prayer bead respectively, so the hidden under armour thing won't work at my table (you would have to pull that necklace from out under your armour and twist it as you incant your spell). The exact trappings might vary from tradition to tradition, but I treat all fetishes as obvious magical props, although like Yera I do not consider them "active" like foci. I am aware these are house rules specific to my game, and yourself, Halinn and Neraph are all perfectly correct by RAW.

QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 6 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Fetishes also make smuggling compartments for cyberlimbs or the skin pouch Bioware attractive.

They most certainly do!
Yerameyahu
And when I said 'active', I meant 'active on the astral'/'have astral forms' (as foci do). But if almost normal can find a quote, we'll see that I was wrong.
almost normal
182 under limited spells tells you to go to 199 under focii for use. 199 goes into the activation requirement. I'm not interested in an argument about whether or not that's solid enough for anyone's particular definition of RAW, it works for me, and that's good enough.

(Interestingly, cross-referencing street magic, it out and out states that fetishes are per spell, and not spell group.)
Yerameyahu
Ah. Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't be interested in whether that's solid, because it's not even close. It says, "For examples of items used as fetishes, see Foci, p. 199."; not 'use fetishes like foci'. This is indeed confusing, because there's nothing in that section about items (it's actually on p190). The section for the Activation of foci is totally irrelevant. You're free to do what you want at your table, but earlier you claimed this was RAW. frown.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (almost normal @ Aug 7 2012, 01:13 AM) *
182 under limited spells tells you to go to 199 under focii for use. 199 goes into the activation requirement. I'm not interested in an argument about whether or not that's solid enough for anyone's particular definition of RAW, it works for me, and that's good enough.

(Interestingly, cross-referencing street magic, it out and out states that fetishes are per spell, and not spell group.)

Urm... This is what you are referring to:
QUOTE (SR4A, page 182, Limited Spells, Third Paragraph, Last Sentence)
For examples of items used as fetishes, see Foci, p. 199.

That says for an idea of what forms a fetish will take, look at the examples that foci use (and really they should have referenced Enchanting on page 190 instead). And for your reference to Street Magic: if you're talking about page 81 (Fetishes and Talismans), it is only repeating that fetishes are only used in conjunction with limited spells; there's no direct contradiction that fetishes must be used per spell instead of per category, and in fact they reiterate what the BBB says on the matter (per category):
QUOTE (Street Magic, page 81, Fetishes and Talismans, First Paragraph, First and Last Sentences)
Crafting fetishes for use with a limited spell (see Limited Spells, p. 172, SR4) requires a successful... Fetishes are not attuned to any particular spell when created (see p. 172-173, SR4).

So unless you're completely misreading these sections you are incorrect.
KarmaInferno
Just make sure you wash and sanitize your fetish between uses.

Uh, wait, wrong fetish?

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 7 2012, 09:56 AM) *
Just make sure you wash and sanitize your fetish between uses.

Uh, wait, wrong fetish?

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 2 2012, 11:17 PM) *
I mean, how many spells are you talking about? If they're reusable, that's pocket change even if it's 500¥ * 12 spells. If they *were* disposable, then yes, that 'ammo' would add up kinda fast. Even a Full Burst of Ex-Ex is only 100¥, after all. So… seems like a good balance. Cheap, but not disposable-cheap.

A full burst of frag grenades from a fully automatic Grenade Launcher (Thank you WAR!) is only 350¥ while a full burst of high explosive is only 450¥.... so yeah.... 500¥ for a 1-shot item would be pretty damn expensive as far as things go.
shinyjam
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 7 2012, 05:30 PM) *
500¥ for a 1-shot item would be pretty damn expensive as far as things go.

Not to mention losing it or it got destroyed and you have to find another 500¥ fetish that match your tradition, then spent Int + Magic [5, 1 hour] extended test to re-atttune it again.
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 7 2012, 07:59 AM) *

Thank you so much for this.

QUOTE (shinyjam @ Aug 7 2012, 03:06 PM) *
Not to mention losing it or it got destroyed and you have to find another 500¥ fetish that match your tradition, then spent Int + Magic [5, 1 hour] extended test to re-atttune it again.

Like foci, I think that people tend to get ones that match their tradition, but they can use any fetishes they need.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 8 2012, 02:02 AM) *
Thank you so much for this.

Which bit?

Supplying an instant rimshot, or a URL where one can go to have an instant rimshot?
Neraph
Both. I will be using that URL extensively from now on. If you know what I mean.
shinyjam
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 8 2012, 06:02 AM) *
Like foci, I think that people tend to get ones that match their tradition, but they can use any fetishes they need.

But the Limited Spell section on pg 182 define "Fetish -- reusable objects with minor enhancement appropriate to the magician's tradition.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 8 2012, 02:05 AM) *
Both. I will be using that URL extensively from now on. If you know what I mean.

Enjoy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012