Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't decide on a which pistol to use
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Raiden
Then ill defiantly go warhawk. my char does like wasting ammo. IE wide bursts and the like, though the thunderbolts look nice :3 lol
Raiden
Oh, and while this thread is still going, about recoil, do the recoil modifiers stack throughout action phase? like if you long burst at -5 then short burst at -3 are you at a total of -8? or just the -3. it seems reasonable they stack but then it has either -5 or -6 ( for first or second burst)
fistandantilus4.0
As long as you have fun with it man. That's the only way you'll know if you're doing it right.
CanRay
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Aug 13 2012, 03:07 PM) *
Urban engagements are the norm for SWAT units anyway, so they shouldn't be carrying Barrets or anything with .50 in it's description. It'll blow through walls and has a range in miles. That's not precision like a shooter in that role would use, it's potential for collateral.
You for got "(unless the SWAT is in Atzlan and the criminals are held responsible for all that.)" at the end.
fistandantilus4.0
Oops, right. I'll go back and sneak an edit in. Or maybe just an * for a disclaimer I'll never actually insert.
Xenefungus
QUOTE (Raiden @ Aug 13 2012, 06:40 PM) *
as for weapons I leaning towards modded up warhawks (SA)

Is anyone else bothered by this? I always thought there's a reason there is no stock SA 6P pistol in the book (Yeah, the Slivergun base gotta kinda be something like that...) - if it would be possible, corps would have done it already. that's my reasoning for not allowing it in my game.

The modification rules in general have not been thought through extensively, many agree.
Raiden
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Aug 13 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Is anyone else bothered by this? I always thought there's a reason there is no stock SA 6P pistol in the book (Yeah, the Slivergun base gotta kinda be something like that...) - if it would be possible, corps would have done it already. that's my reasoning for not allowing it in my game.

The modification rules in general have not been thought through extensively, many agree.

if your talking about possible in the corps in the game, my counter would be, why. if they could mod it like that, make it common knowledge to people, and not just keep it as an ace up their sleeves for their sec, teams and or strike forces? as for that, do you allow the thunderbolt heavy pistols? which with BF can be even worse smile.gif. that being said, it says explicitly that the warhawk cannot be equipped with a silencer yet in arsenal it says you can weird huh?
Tias
Still, police don't always care for mere mortals. If no one within miles has a valid SIN, I doubt your average KE gun bunny gives a shit if their rifle tears down a couple of walls and goes through some 'collateral' individuals.

This is cyberpunk, the cops are even shittier than they are now, and in certain sprawls, that's saying something..
Raiden
the way I see it, in the society of shadowrun, groups like LS and KE are about being efficient (or at least, in theory ;}) that being there ability to stop us, the runners. so, if your group is packing a lot of firepower, it could be said most others are so then LS and KE would be packing alot of power as well. if your generalizing then most rent a cops will not be packing much. but the swat team and other high end law enforcement would in theory have slightly sub par or paramilitary equipment. as for care for collateral damage. depends, is the said LS group employed by a corp? if so, does that corp care more about efficiency or public relations. id lean towards swat teams and the like having high power, high end weaponry due to the fact, they are usually responding to calls or situations with orks and or trolls. where that firepower would be needed.
KnightAries
QUOTE (Raiden @ Aug 13 2012, 01:29 PM) *
Oh, and while this thread is still going, about recoil, do the recoil modifiers stack throughout action phase? like if you long burst at -5 then short burst at -3 are you at a total of -8? or just the -3. it seems reasonable they stack but then it has either -5 or -6 ( for first or second burst)

Are Recoil modifiers cumulative across an entire Combat Turn, or just an Action Phase? Does Recoil Compensation apply to each attack/burst, or does it only apply once in an Action Phase? Can you give a better example of how recoil works?

Recoil modifiers are cumulative, but they only apply for that Action Phase. They do not carry over to additional Action Phases in a Combat Turn. Recoil Compensation counteracts Recoil modifiers as they accumulate during an Action Phase; the Recoil modifiers don’t go away, but for every point of Recoil Compensation 1 point of Recoil modifiers do not apply.

Snowblood is firing a submachine gun in burst fire mode (3 bullets per burst), with 3 points of recoil compensation. With her first Simple Action, she fires one short burst (-2 recoil modifier), but she has 3 points of recoil compensation, so the recoil modifier does not apply to her first roll.

On her second Simple Action, Snowblood fires a second short burst (-3 recoil modifier), which is cumulative with the recoil modifier from her first burst in the Action Phase, for a total recoil modifier of -5. With 3 points of recoil compensation, Snowblood suffers a -2 dice pool modifier due to recoil on her second roll.

http://www.shadowrun4.com/game-resources/f...sked-questions/
ikarinokami

according to the runners toolkit cheat sheets, your recoil is the number of bullets fired -1 per action phase.
Raiden
so, this was my first thread, and longest... just trying to keep it going,, I GOT IT, fav weapons? why? and the like :3
fistandantilus4.0
Combat Shotguns. The 'Why' is a silly question. smile.gif There is no sound more reassuring than racking a round into the chamber of a shotgun. Or as inspiring. wink.gif
Raiden
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Aug 15 2012, 05:43 PM) *
Combat Shotguns. The 'Why' is a silly question. smile.gif There is no sound more reassuring than racking a round into the chamber of a shotgun. Or as inspiring. wink.gif

Or one so Terrifying when your not the one with the shotgun, lol
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah that's the inspiring part. wink.gif

I do actually like the modular weapon system in the core book as well. It's not the hottest or most tweaked weapon, but I like it better than the idea of a closet full of guns and playing pick and choose for every little mission. I've played with the SCAR system a little, and it would certainly make things easier, assuming it's not made of crappy plastics that break all the time.

Really though, I'd just suggest having a planned method for how your characters plan to handle an engagement and what sort of area and opposition they're likely to run into. A P.I. type character is unlikely to carry more than a side arm. A proper runner should have something heavier, along SMG/AR lines. But again, that depends on your game and your needs. Just build your arsenal to suit your tactics, not the other way around.
crash2029
Two of my favorite guns for SR are the Colt M1991, and a heavily modded Fichetti Executive Action. The Colt because it is functionally identical to my favorite gun of all time the M1911A1. I like the Fichetti because, when properly modded, you have a fully automatic, concealable, hi-capacity weapon. I also like the Ruger Warhawk because, well, I feel lucky.
PresentPresence
It's hard to decide which pistol is the "best". Your choice in firearms can be dependent on many factors:

1) Style
2) Concealability
3) Damage Potential
4) Versatility
5) Range
6) Silence
7) Anti-MAD
cool.gif Cost
9) Legality

If only some crazy person with way too much time on their hands would make an 8-axis scatter plot to assess which gun is best for you depending on your individual needs! That's why the Firearms group is nice - you can make almost any weapon function almost as well as any other weapon (especially Automatics - uber!) with some investment. Or you can just grab your trusty Predator IV and call it a day. wink.gif
CanRay
Favorite weapon?

The one in my hand when the drek hits the fan, baby! Happiness is a warm gun, bang-bang, shoot-shoot!
KnightAries
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 22 2012, 06:52 PM) *
Favorite weapon?

The one in my hand when the drek hits the fan, baby! Happiness is a warm gun, bang-bang, shoot-shoot!

Watch your back. Shoot straight. Conserve ammo.
And never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.
-Street Proverb
CanRay
Browning Ultra-Power for a all-purpose Carry Piece, because back when pistols had individual concealment ratings, it was a small heavy pistol. (And I'm a Browning Fanboi.).

SPAS-22 for intermediate work, because you can't beat a Smartgun-Linked Semi-Auto Shotgun that looks kick ass as well as performs.

AK-98 for when the drek hits the fan.
FuelDrop
Which pistol to use?

All of them. At the same time. In each hand.
Shooting little pistols
That shoot more pistols.
The Jopp
For the Ex-Swat

Sports Rifle as primary with Scope and Ex-Ex ammo.
Sawn off elephant rifle with removed stock (use barrel reduction but have a +2 to recoil). Add top mounted Smartlink and melee hardening - this is your door opener and concealed carry. Add SA mode if possible.

Take a few samples of pistols as extra backups.
CanRay
Great thing about pistols is that you can take them off Gangers (After you do the "Why are you hitting yourself?" routine) and have them as drop pieces. They already have a criminal history, don't have your fingerprints on them (If you were smart about it), and a few shots into the walls makes it even more realistic.

Instant scapegoat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012