Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best way to kill Bug Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Seven Deadly SINs
Ok we are going into an area that i'm betting is going to be very buggy. We have a mage, a couple cybered up individuals (Sammie-mercs) and an NPC Rigger. We have a couple of big guns, which i'm not sure if were bringing or not (we will if I have any say) being as we are supposed to be evicting some squatters and gangers from an area and so are not expecting any real serious trouble.

I plan on packing a couple of cans of roach spray that i'll toss and shot in mid air (and hopefully run for it and make it) if any so up, but I'm hoping for a few more pointers if anyone has any ideas (besides nuking them because we all know that don't work)!!!
Nikoli
Concussion grenades, very useful for oppressing the masses for a sweep and clear operation.

Just try not to pick on the cute chick with the goth husband, he might come back and whoop you wink.gif
TinkerGnome
The best way to handle them is your mage or an adept with killing hands. Otherwise, overwhelming firepower is your only hope. Note that if the spirits are in close quarters, grenades and chunky salsa are your best bet.

[edit]Actually a troll physical adept with a dikoted combat axe weapon focus should be able to handle the problem (provided he has the "multiple combatant" penalty reducing martial arts). [/edit]
Nikoli
Can lots n lots of gasoline. it'll be a 'controlled' fire, i swear.
broho_pcp
Get some respirators and a few smoke-bomb insecticide grenades. While it might not kill them, it will definitely give them some modifiers and give you an edge.
Nikoli
Also, have the rigger check to see if an old gas main is on the street in question (gotta love those city block maps). a few rapid bursts and boom, no more city block.
kevyn668
Don't bother trying to shoot the cans in the air. I've got two suggestions for you on that one:

1) Insecticide can and a small expolsive (M-80 or so) light the fuse and throw. Homemade splash genade.

2) Bug bomb. They have then now. Its the cans where you press the button and leave the house for 6 hours. The spray pumps out until empty. Don't know how long it takes to empy. Its would also give some vision modifiers as the smoke is thick.

Good luck.
Arethusa
Bug bombs emptying faster could be unstable (eg fall over, or, if fast enough, skid around on the floor from the force of the decompression). You want to empty it quickly? Put a 9M hole through it.
Smiley
Call the Orkin man.
Moonstone Spider
I rarely create a Mundane character who doesn't have a Tazer for just this reason.

With elemental damage power 10 any spirit under essence 10 is vulnerable despite it's resistance to normal weapons. On top of that with base damage S even a few net stageups will kill a bug really fast.
mfb
that, and a streetsweeper. you can fill 'em with anything--like, y'know, natural rocks.
Arethusa
Uh, I'm pretty sure that tazers were never intended to be allowed to overflow to physical. You've got to be kidding.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 16 2004, 11:23 PM)
Uh, I'm pretty sure that tazers were never intended to be allowed to overflow to physical.  You've got to be kidding.

I thought any stun damage, if you keep applying it, overflows?
Kanada Ten
Once a non-flesh form takes deadly stun it is disrupted, so the point is moot.
xizor
what about white phosphorous grenades?
Arethusa
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 16 2004, 11:23 PM)
Uh, I'm pretty sure that tazers were never intended to be allowed to overflow to physical.  You've got to be kidding.

I thought any stun damage, if you keep applying it, overflows?

Yes, that's the rule, but under that rule, I can kill you with a tazer, which is absolutely insane. Some things that do stun were just never mean to be able to overflow. Take drugs that cause unconsciousness, for example.
Ditaki
Hey, there are plenty of reports of people being hit by police tazers and dying soon afterwards. It's the combanation of adrenaline, fear, and the blast of current through your body that kills you. I can see it happening.
TinkerGnome
As for drugs that cause unconsiousness, there are a lot of cases of a downer causing a heart to stop or the like if applied to someone improperly. Somehow, I don't think a gunshot wound and a Neurostun grenade equate to a "proper" application of the stuff wink.gif
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Yes, that's the rule, but under that rule, I can kill you with a tazer, which is absolutely insane. Some things that do stun were just never mean to be able to overflow. Take drugs that cause unconsciousness, for example.

As noted, Tazers have killed people. 100,000 volts going through your nervous system isn't exactly good for it. It normally just stuns but an overload can kill.

As for drugs. . . what do you think an OD is? Give somebody five times the recomended dose of Morphine and they won't be getting up again. You can kill a person with almost any drug given enough of it (Granted with Aspirin it's a fragging hard task, you have to give them massive doses until they bleed to death through the stomache and it takes forever, but 500 people die that way every year).

Besides, spirits normally go bye-bye when they get full stun.

I didn't think about a Streetsweeper, but since sand is considered elemental damage that should be effective too, although you might have to point out the "Sand" effect in MitS for your GM to agree.

Other options for making mundane weapons into magic-slayers are incindiary and Big D's Temper rounds for fire damage, along with any grenade since "Blast" is also an elemental effect.

Oooh. . . and see if your Fixer can get you some FAB-III. Just make sure nobody in your group is dual natured and you can take down an army of bugs while sitting in a lounge chair sipping lemonade.
Arethusa
Of course tazers have killed people. Of course overdoses of anaesthetics have killed people. But not even remotely in the way that the rules handle it. That was a simple oversight, and any fatalities resulting from that sort of stuff should be handled by the GM. CS gas and smoke grenades have caused more deaths in confined spaces than I'd care to look up, but they're not exactly touched by mechanics for doing damage.
Capt. Dave
Well, assuming you can't get hold of a Sea-Saber to fire at the Queen...
A UAV drone with a decent rating missile launch system can fire multiple Great Dragon AGTMs. These things are easy to get, and quite a bargain. If you have a bunch in a group, go for HE missiles. If you don't mind making noise, that is.
Egon
Don't forget that a strong streetsam may be able to knockdown and hold on to a bug spirit taking it out on the fight for a while till the party can kill it. My troll surprised our GM when he did this in a game. I didn't even know know they had a set of rules to cover tackling and holding some down it was just an act of desperation because guns weren't working.
Dakhran the Dark
QUOTE (Seven Deadly SINs)
Ok we are going into an area that i'm betting is going to be very buggy.

Paranoia, cha-cha-cha... devil.gifGMbiggrin.gif

Why, when told to sweep all civilians from an area of Aurora close to the burn scar of the FAE bomb dropped on the Denver UB chapter, would you assume the worst?

(besides nuking them because we all know that don't work)

Well, it was a good plan at the time... alien.gif

Dakhran the Dark
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Just try not to pick on the cute chick with the goth husband, he might come back and whoop you  wink.gif

ROFLMAO! rotfl.gif rollin.gif

What's so funny about this is that the "simple sweep and clear" is gonna be taking place right around October 30th...
simonw2000
What about Capsule Rounds? In Cannon Companion, it clearly says that you can fill up a few rounds with insecticide and they'll do damage to a bug spirit.
shadd4d
Cascade with DMSO and DDT. You can manufacture DDT with a chem lab and DMSO is cheap. Use the cascade rifle or a squirt. It will suck to be an insect spirit.

Don
Solidcobra
Or to be a flower...
blakkie
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Oooh. . . and see if your Fixer can get you some FAB-III. Just make sure nobody in your group is dual natured and you can take down an army of bugs while sitting in a lounge chair sipping lemonade.

One caution here, FAB-III will screw with -anything- that touches the astral. This includes active foci and projecting/perceiving mages, etc. FAB are dual natured and will attach to an awakened creature and wait for them to go astral. Most mages don't project long enough to get drained by low force clouds, but sustaining foci get dusted easily. Of course a quick Sterilize after the bugs are dead should do the trick, but still be careful.
Austere Emancipator
The issue of Stun damage causing chemicals overflowing to Physical was discussed: They almost never cause significant Physical damage in SR rules. It is completely impossible to kill a human being with such a thing alone. Only the GM's call Overdose-rules can allow that, or if you pump a person full of several different types of Stun-causing chemicals. You can never do more than (Original Damage Level + 1) DLs with a chemical. See Additional Dosage, M&M pp. 106-107.
Arethusa
My mistake, then. Seems I missed that rule, which helps things quite a bit.
moosegod
My team seems to like using VERY big guns in their bug hunts.
The Jopp
Problem: 2 Mantid spirits (Force 5)

Solution: 1 Streetsam named Raven.

Strategy
Used smoke grenade and hoped to use his blindfighting skills against them and then kick their collective hoop with supreme unarmed skill and MK1 Fist.

Problem
Raven suddenly had an epiphany and remembered that smoke didn't really stop something that looked at you astrally.

Solution
Didn't give a damn about the smoke and killed the first one with one hit from his fist and then took his time (two entire combat turns) to bludgeon the second hapless little bug into oblivion. I really don't think those two realised what hit them...

We were really quite surprised that the battle against them took such a short time but that sammy has taken more bullets to the head (and the needed medical stay) than a normal person would take during an entire campaign and STILL walked out of the hospital after just one-two weeks. Note: This character was quite balanced and not that much of a "tank".
Lilt
Hmm. Grab yourself a shotgun and a handfull of Big D's Temper rounds (Preferably a few spare shotguns too). The bugs only get half their immunity versus fire damage so it should be quite easy to toast bugs using them. They max-out at 15m (taser ranges) but they use the choke rules and get +2 power.

You can also fire them from some heavy-pistol platforms (Roomsweeper or Hatimoto II) for some akimbo fireballing action, although the 12S damage a defiance T250 does with them is respectable.
Smiley
We just had a little problem with some wasps. They apparently had a hold over a little pissant gang we... ahh... "encountered." This early in the campaign, we would have been lunch so we just located hive and called the Star on them. The fuzz took care of it pretty well.
Seven Deadly SINs
Great the GM saw this post and has commenced to make me even more paranoid....
Dakhran the Dark
QUOTE (Seven Deadly SINs)
Great the GM saw this post and has commenced to make me even more paranoid....

Heh. Just doing my job... biggrin.gif

As a note, and not necessarily meant to foment panic and discord, many of these tips will work against any type of materialized spirit, such as nature spirits, spirits of the elements, elementals, toxics, and ally spirits. They'll also give regenerating critters a really bad day.

It's much better to diversify your loadout for a number of situations, instead of concentrating on having the most "ubark1ll" ammunition vs. metahumans. Spirits aren't going to care whether you're using regular, APDS, or AV ammo, so why waste the money on the ultra-expensive AV ammo and risk having government agencies and military forces ticked off at you?

Just think, you guys have less to worry about in 2061 Denver regarding bugs (between Ares and the bounty) and more to worry about with border security, the UCAS BATTF, and the CAS DDI, what with all the munitions, ordnance, and plastic explosives the team carries...
TinkerGnome
Taking down a spirit is relatively easy if you've got the hardware. Get a assault rifle. Now load it down with recoil compensation (with a 6 strength, you can recoil comp 9 points on an Ares Alpha). Now point the gun at the bug. Pull the trigger and let the full auto do the rest. The spirit would need an essence of 9 to have its hardened armor take care of a salvo that size, and at that point, you've got bigger problems, anyway. No need for special ammunition, even. Most spirits have trouble soaking a 2D, which'd be the least you'd deal out.

The only problem with this strategy is that you can only deal with one target a pass. If the spirits are less than force 6, a couple of 3 round bursts would work fine. Particularly if you're using insecticide capsule rounds (at 20 nuyen.gif for 10, SI 2, they're a steal).

The rules about full-auto and burst fire modifiers not applying to hardened armor do not come into play with the spirit immunity power which has its own way of doing things.
Clyde
People have already posted the best firepower solutions for dealing with the strength of bug spirits (or any spirit really). But they also have a couple of weaknesses that you can exploit. Most bugs have a reduced sense of sight. While that probably won't be enough to keep them from spotting and attacking you (they are dual natured) anything without a serious aura on the astral plane might well be all but invisible to them. Trip wires, claymore mines, grenades and just about anything else might as well be invisible to a bug. Also, bug spirits don't show up on their own (unlike real life bugs): they need a bug shaman. That guy won't be immune to normal weapons at all, and the little bugs all do what he says. Not saying it'll lead to a good outcome if you point a gun at an insect shaman's head and order him to call off the little guys (they are insane after all), but bugs are reasonably intelligent on their own. You might get some mileage out of that. Not as much as having a mage or an adept with you, but some.

If you are definitely going to tool up to deal with these, you might hire a mage to summon some elemental bodyguards and bond them to you. Hellaciously expensive, but with the kind of cyberware/guns/vehicles it sounds like your team has, you might just pull that off. Probably just a good general precaution to take, come to think.

Likewise, if you know an initiate that REALLY likes you, you might get an anchored spirit blast spell for your personal use. Just because you're not a mage doesn't mean you can't use magic!! grinbig.gif
techboy
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)

The only problem with this strategy is that you can only deal with one target a pass.

Well, that and the fact that hardened armor is compared to the power of the attack BEFORE you factor in multiple bullet modifiers (SR3 pg. 132). So, two problems, really.
Lilt
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
The rules about full-auto and burst fire modifiers not applying to hardened armor do not come into play with the spirit immunity power which has its own way of doing things.

The FAQ disagrees with you there.
When a spirit or critter with Immunity (Normal Weapons) is attacked, do you only compare double its Essence to the base Power of the weapon (regardless of modifiers, as with the Hardened Armor power), or do you also count modifiers to the Power from burst fire, ammo type, extra successes, etc?
Treat the Immunity power as you would the Hardened Armor power--only use the base Power of the weapon, unmodified by burst fire, ammo type, etc.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 16 2004, 07:32 PM)
Some things that do stun were just never mean to be able to overflow.  Take drugs that cause unconsciousness, for example.

Drugs aren't used very often for subdual because the amount needed to guarantee subdual and the amount that will likely kill are so close to one another. If AE was correct and maximum DL equals base+1, then the rules are broken, but not in the way you're claiming they are. "Nonlethal" weapons are actually quite lethal, hence the reason the big D is still offering quite a bit for developing one that actually is nonlethal...

~J
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (techboy)
Well, that and the fact that hardened armor is compared to the power of the attack BEFORE you factor in multiple bullet modifiers (SR3 pg. 132). So, two problems, really.

The rules in SR3 don't say it's hardened armor... and I rather dislike the FAQ's ruling (though I hadn't seen it till Lilt posted it). However, that said, it appears to be the way it works... which makes spirits extreemly powerful. I'd rather see it work the way it says it works in the book.
Fenris
Can I ask a quick question? I've been looking at the rules for the bug forms, and I don't see the hardened armor notation anywhere. Is there somewhere in MiTS that states which spirits and which forms get the Immunity to Normal Weapons power? I didn't see it anywhere on the chart.
TinkerGnome
It's part of the materialization. Basicly the spirit gets immunity to normal weapons when it materializes which, in turn, gives it hardened armor equal to essence x 2 which is generally force x 2.
Fenris
Thanks for pointing that out.

But, only true form spirits can manifest, and if I read the entry on what's produced in the merge, isn't a true form spirit the undesirable merge? Basically, the failure of the merge between host and spirit? Doesn't that mean there would be less of them then anything else, if any at all?
Kanada Ten
There are less True Form because they are more powerful than Flesh Form. The shaman may control only so many True and Flesh Forms per potency rating (rounded UP!), but they receive many more fleshies. Note, that only Good Mergers are even considered close to equal in terms of usability by the shaman. Flesh forms are the mutants, near worthless in terms of stature; they just happen to make great cannon fodder.

[edit]
Manifest <> Materialize
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 21 2004, 11:39 PM)
Some things that do stun were just never mean to be able to overflow.  Take drugs that cause unconsciousness, for example.

Drugs aren't used very often for subdual because the amount needed to guarantee subdual and the amount that will likely kill are so close to one another. If AE was correct and maximum DL equals base+1, then the rules are broken, but not in the way you're claiming they are. "Nonlethal" weapons are actually quite lethal, hence the reason the big D is still offering quite a bit for developing one that actually is nonlethal...

~J

A good RL example of this is when the Russian government 'subdued' the hostages and Chechen captors in that theatre about 1 1/2 years ago. They used an aersol dispersed opiate of some sort. Russian government refused to say anything about what it was except that it was 'nonlethal' (ergo 'legal'), but Dr.s treating the hostages (no captors to treat, they were all shot on sight, moving or not) determined from what they eventually were able to save the patients with that it was from the opiate family.

The only thing is that this stuff killed roughly 15% of the hostages by itself. Basically it worked by slowing the body down, only different people go father down on the same dose, different people take up the chemical at different rates, and some people were more at risk for their respiration (breathing) falling too low to live. Without the doctors guessing right what to treat with even more could have died. If the Russian government had provided the doctors with an antidote (even a crappy one) more might have been saved, but that isn't the Russian way.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

That's a good point, though I should also point out that what you're describing (and the events in the opera house that blakkie mentioned) are not the same thing as just having stun overflow straight into physical As it is now, if the damage weren't capped, sitting in a room with some simple non lethal anaesthetic for a minute would kill me quite quickly, and that's obviously no more realistic than capping the damage level at +1. Hell, it really is quite less realistic. Would be nice to have a mechanic specifically for critical exposure that allows damage to overflow past the cap. Maybe a simple body test?
Clyde
General anesthesia is so complicated that is has its own branch of doctors. An anesthesiologist is virtually required for any major surgery. A whole doctor just to make sure you go under and don't die. Even so, the stuff kills people on the operating table all the time. Not enough to justify not using it, but the risk is there. Now talk about applying that stuff under field conditions? You aren't adjusting the dosage for the patient's age, weight, health, metabolism or medical history? Those are just basic precautions. A real doctor is probably going to have your heart rate and respiration hooked up to monitors so he knows the very second that you start having problems. And the problems only get worse in the sixth world: you have people with all kinds of allergies to common substances, cyberware and bioware that filters the bloodstream getting in the way and people weigh as little as skinny elves and as much as trolls. The remote chance that you'll get so many successes that you flat out kill somebody with stun overflow ain't even worth worrying about compared to the massive strides that have apparently been made by 2063.
Arethusa
Though I agree that anaesthesiology is very complex, I also don't think it'd entirely outside the realm of believability to say that safely knocking someone out with a chemical substance is much less dangerous 60 years from now. That, and the fact that what I'm talking about is the fact that you're resisting serious stun every 3 seconds with some of this stuff. With a body of three, you could concievably be dead in less than a quarter of a minute.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012