Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Daughter of Deep Silence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Strangeglove
Reaching down with one huge paw, Strangeglove grabs Magana by the belt and throws the boy over his shoulder on top of Shin's unconscious form. Still holding his SMG in his cyberhand, he stabilizes the pile of bodies with the other hand. Ducking to pass the unwieldy mass of flesh he eases through the door, turns the corner, and takes cover in the V shaped corner of the building.

<<@All: Fleet, ETA on your car, or is that cab it?>>
JxJxA
Adeodatus looks about, somewhat bewildered by the situation. His emotions are betrayed only by his body language, as the mask of placid serenity remains forever fixed over his face. He draws his arc and strikes the ward, focusing all of his might into the blow...

"He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom! He gives strength to the weary, and increases the power of the weak!" cries out the ravmalakh as the arc smashes into the ward with all of its divine brilliance.

Isaiah 40, Verses 28 through 29.

Indeed, my friend. Find strength in His Word.
Buddha72
The Warehouse
The spirit slashes down and strikes something but there appears to be little visible effect to most. On the astral you see the blow ripple through the ward which thins and stretches but remains solid. As the spirit stands at the ward the whine of the electric engine swells in volume as the small auto cab running dark, surges forward across the parking lot. Its small frame shaking from the speed as it attempts to smash Zero against its front bumper.
JxJxA
Zero's eyes grow wide at the sudden appearance of the car. He freezes in place, unsure of what to do.

JUMP! NOW! Follower's voice shouts at him. The Elf obeys, and somehow manages to stumble/sprint out of the way...
Buddha72
The Warehouse
Just barely missing the slim elf, the small car swings wildly around in a half circle, its tires squealing on the pavement as it breaks hard and almost topples over. It comes to a stop about 5 meters away in the parking lot of the structure.
UmaroVI
Fat Man suddenly puts together the implications of Jon triggering the ward when spells and spirit powers did not.

He must be dual-natured too - he's trapped!

"We need to get him out!"

Fat Man's hands glow as he gestures at the shen. While the spell has no visible effect, the spirit's astral form begins outshining everything else nearby as it joins Adeodatus's attack on the ward.

"<@team[Fat Man]: Is that cab ours, or does it need to explode?>
Buddha72
The Warehouse
As the spell settles into the spirit it lashes out against the ward just as the other spirit had, striking it with its body attempting to further weaken it or possibly even breach it. On the astral the ward is weakening from yet another blow against it but manages to hold firm.
Notsoevildm
Seeing the cab attempt to ram Zerone, he flashes a message to Fleet.

<@Fleet: Did one of our extraction vehicles just try and run over Zerone? Do we have a matrix issue?>>

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Dec 19 2012, 03:58 PM) *
"We need to get him out!"
"My sword, bitte." hisses Eklipse at Fatman, then realising the mage may only be able to see him on the tacnet, he mentally kills his suit's chameleon function. As the suit fades back to black, he pulls the hood back and reaches out with his left hand for his blade.

<@Mages: Let's get this ward down, schnell!>>

Lain
As people exit the room Jon moves back covering them. Dropping the assault rifle, letting it fall to his sling, Jon swings around with a left hook attempt at the ward. As it connects, he steps through the hole and picks up the rifle from the sling continuing to provide cover.
Buddha72
The Warehouse
The oddity of seeing Jon strike out at empty air and then walk through what looks like nothing brings to mind a twisted mime. On the astral the ward finally buckles and a ragged hole is torn in from the blow struck by the runner allowing him to exit the room.
UmaroVI
Fat Man passes Eklipse's sword back quickly as he turns to follow Strangeglove to the corner. He grabs the injured boy - the one Fleet shot - and channels chi through his body in order to heal the boy's internal damage.

<@Team[Fat Man]: Watch out, if anything happens to me in the next short while, his injuries will come back>

JxJxA
<@Eklipse[Zero]: I will do what I can as soon as I catch my breath and cast. That car came very close to killing me.>

Zero's distress is reflected in the Astral. The normally placid and meek aura beginning to flicker with fear and anger, and hints of something strange and alien to the Elf's faith. Follower attempts to soothe his protege's mood, reminding him of the path they walk.

Listen to me, my friend, and rejoice in His Word as written by His apostle: 'We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.'

2 Corinthians?

Book 4, Verses 8 and 9. He is with you. Always.
BishopMcQ
<@Team[Cypher]: Are you deaf or stupid!?! Put the kids in the fucking cab! That's their exit!>
Fenris
<<@Team[Fleet]: I don't know who cleared Cypher to handle the extraction, but until you hear from Eklipse, do not put what's now our primary target in that barely controlled rolling trash heap that's got tissue paper for armor and can't tell Zero from a parking spot. I'll have one of the cars around momentarily.>>
Buddha72
Fat Man
The complicated flows work through his body and you feel some resistance from something unnatural in his body but are able to heal the majority of the physical damage. You see the bruises fade and swelling recede from where he was shot.
Emilio
With the kids out, Emilio picks up his medkit and Alpha and hustles out of the room. Crossing the ward, he looks to "Julio" and notices his wounds look better.

Ok, then. I hope Fat Man got all his wounds, since I now can do nothing with them. Grade 6, no joke. Though if he CAN get it all, that's impressive.

<<Fat Man[Emilio]: I hope to Hamlet you got all his wounds, 'cause it's now all you baby. Him actually having scratches means we have to lie more when he's awake.>>

<<Team[Emilio]: Cypher, honey bun-bun, if that's not Fleet's car, whose fraking car is it, and why do we want to put our primaries in it? Is it going to lay a 50,000 NuYen egg?>>
Fenris
Watching Emilio hustle back through the doorway, watching Jon punch air, Fleet gives a quick shake of his head as he rises, turning to put his back to the wall next to the door and flick his gaze across the TacNet, a quick mental note expanding the bird's eye view in one corner to show the relative distances and ETA of each of the available vehicles.

<<@Team[Fleet]: ETA on vehicle is 2.8 seconds. Frag you, Cypher. Emilio, Fat Man, SG, get the kids and us out of here, and we can deal with this later.

TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE.

YOU ALREADY SAID THAT ONE! he screams in his head, his eye twitching as he felt the sharp pang that came along with ignoring the programming.

He seemed like he was on the up-on-up. But, he obviously hacked the autocab, and nobody knows what it's doing or where it's going. He...frag.

Scrapping his previous plans, he sends a command for the nexus to shut down it's wireless connection, and a second to bring all the vehicles in. They wouldn't be subscribed to him for the moment, but he reestablish that later. The important part now was making sure the hacker didn't get to them.
BishopMcQ
<<@Team[Cypher]: The kid is a technomancer, that's why they kidnapped him and why he's worth money to return UNHARMED. His uber fairy godmother in the matrix is why security systems can only be accessed offline. Any car you put him in, expect to lose. The cab is expendable and will take him away from the people with guns, which is what his godmother wants.>>

With the seatbelt clear, Cypher opens the car and jumps free. Running as fast as his legs would carry him towards the building.
Fenris
<<@Team[Fleet]: Little late with the info. Eklipse, are we calling one of mine a loss? Or tossing the kids in the cab? Cypher, can you confirm that either way, we're losing the payday?
Buddha72
Cypher & Q
The car surges forward almost in sync with the decker releasing his safety belt and an icon flashes through AR showing a new set of directives being implemented. It quickly draws a series of routes to a fixed a location then one highlights as it flashes "COURSE SET". Instead of deterring the slim ork from jumping out of the moving vehicle, he launches himself forward and rolls along the pavement. The sound of his impact is swallowed up by the slam of the door shutting as the car quickly turns to follow its last directive to converge. Cypher rolls then gains his feet in a lurch and begins to pump his arms and legs to build up speed as he sprints across the lot.

The Team
You suddenly see the constant feed of the tacnet stop and dismantle around you in the AR space. You watch as feeds are spun out to static and removed from your interface. Quickly the wealth of data is stripped and the tactical edge granted by the technology is erased. The streams of input reduce down to a singe flashing message.

Strangeglove
<<@All: I'll deliver him with a freakin' red bow if she wants, but not until I've got a credchip in my hand. The kids are fine. Cypher, tell the bitch this is a frakking rescue and if she keeps screwing with us, it's only going to make Julio more likely to get shot, dropped, run over, or recaptured. We'll wait for Fleet's car, and he can drive it with his hands if he has to. Thirty goddamn seconds, that's how long I want. If we haven't delivered the kid in thirty goddamn seconds she can start shooting at us.>>

<<@All: Tehlu's merciful nipples, we didn't get this job from the Sprite, did we?>>
Emilio
<<Team[Emilio]: Are they still "UNHARMED" enough? Or is K.O.d bad? Hey, if it gave us the job, it can pay!>>
copperheed
Q feels the car lurch forward as it accelerates as Cypher started talking about a matrix spider and children's stories. Is there a matrix Kami here? Suddenly the tacnet drops as Q loses his connection and even more startling, Cypher as he dives out of the now moving vehicle.

<<@{Running Crew:Cypher, Ekilpse, Emilio, Fat Man, Fleet, SG, Zero}[Q]: No worries crew. Tacnet's down due to attempted invasion. Cypher'll have it up in a minute. Follow Fleet to your ride.>>

<<@Ekilpse, Fleet[Q]: I don't know what a fairy godmother is, but that matrix presence scared the shit out of Cypher, so good job dropping the tacnet. I think its a Machine Spirit. Sounds like who ever it is, is invested in the Shin kid and when we get going I'll dive in with Cypher since some smooth talking might work as well as a cyber duel. Fat Man and Zero plus entourage can defend us from the Goth-magess if she pursues.>>

<<@Fat Man, Zero[Q]: Zero, when you get outside of the ward, can you or your spirit ally take over Astral watch? I'd like to backup Cypher in the matrix, while Fat Man protects the kids physically.>>

<<@Cypher, Ekilpse, Fleet[Q]: Cypher, you've got to tell us more about this hacker. It sounds like they've a vested interest in Shin's survival. I'll join you and see if we can't convince him/her/it to let us do our job.>>

Strangeglove
<<@All, Emilio: Shin is fine, unless Zero's tentacles do lasting harm. Boyfriend is bruised but as long as no one joggles Fat Man he'll be no problem. Who expects an extraction to be bloodless?>>
Emilio
<<Team[Emilio]: Troll, what are you HIGH on? See this thing in my hands? It's called a medkit! I just TOLD everyone how the kids are. My question was how Misters NuYen want them. We want Misters NuYen, so if Misters NuYen say the kids need a bow, we go to a ribbon shack. Doesn't matter if we think it's stupid. If Misters NuYen are unhappy with the kids' condition, we have a problem. So now let's put on our god damn fracking listening ears and listen for an answer from someone who heard from Misters NuYen!>>
Buddha72
Q
You shift to keep your eyes on the running hacker and the rest of the team as the car maneuvers its way to the rendezvous point. Looking out and focusing on the spirit realm, you clearly see the two entities summoned by your teammates and the jagged edges of the damaged ward in the open doorway but nothing else stands out.
JxJxA
<<@Q[Zero]: As soon as I am certain that the car no longer wants to kill me, I will ask Brother Adeodatus to survey the Astral.>>

<<@Team[Zero]: My spell was meant to subdue, not slay. They should be fine, although I have seen it harm those who lack strength of will.>>
Notsoevildm
Eklipse takes a moment to strap the katana over his shoulder, careful not to tangle it up in the sling of his SMG. His hand reaches automatically for the hilt, but the memory of the touch of a small hand, calloused from countless hours of weapon practice, stops him.

Patience, my love. she had once said to him, her Japanese heavily accented by her strong German accent.

He smiles a sad smile, quickly replaced by a frown as the tacnet goes down.

<<@Team[Eklipse]: Cypher, ze tacnet just dropped. I suggest you pull yourself together and start talking sense. Then get your fragging hoop back in the fragging matrix, deal with zis 'Fairy Godmother' and get ze fragging tacnet back online.>>

<<@Team[Eklipse]: Everyone get zere asses into one of Fleet's vehicles. Ignore ze autocab.>>

He moves close to Fat Man, scooping up his SMG to provide cover from any mundane threats.

"Can he be moved while you heal him. I vould like to be leaving ASAP."

"Fleet, I suggest keeping ze cars in convoy until we are clear of ze combat zone."
Buddha72
The Warehouse
The autocab begins to roll forward - the sound of its small electric engine being gunned but held in check. The impression is that the vehicle is growling and menacing though its shape lends a certain air of absurdity to the act. As it drives forward, it seems to be angling to present one of the passenger doors to the troll carrying the two boys.
Lain
Jon steps to the side of the door after exiting, sweeping his rifle to the left and right, he appears to be looking for a target or threat.
Buddha72
Jon
Looking out over the area you clearly see the autocab stalking its way towards the group and you hear another wave of vehicles converging in on your location - airborne and on the ground. You see the overlay of the spirit realm as well and see a distant mass of astral bodies heading towards your area - at this distance it's either a large group or several large and powerful entities.
UmaroVI
Fat Man
With so much conflicting information, Fat Man decided to listen to Eklipse first.

"He is already healed and can move, but if my concentration is disrupted in the next thirty seconds or so, he will be un-healed."

Fat Man decided someone else could easily destroy the autocab if it attacked again, and focused his attention on the astral, preparing to protect the rescue-es from magical attacks.
Emilio
Emilio glances around looking for the incoming cars.

Wait for it. Wait for it.
Buddha72
Fat Man
You look out over the area and see the dim glow of your teammates around you as well as the bright light from the two spirits summoned for the night's activities. You strain your senses looking for anything that might pose a threat to the group or complicate things further but nothing seems to catch your notice.
Lain
Jon calls out calmly
"Incoming land and aerial vehicles and astral beings.. Anyone claim them? otherwise we need to move faster"
Fenris
As the cavalcade of vehicles come smoothly to a halt in front of the group, the autonomous vehicles stopping at the minimum safe distance away from the autocab and those standing nearby, Fleet's eyes narrow behind the helmet and he takes a step away from the vehicles.

<<@Team[Fleet]: The one on the right is warded, we should put the boys and anyone that can't hang with the spirits in there and get them out of here. Those who can fight the spirits, should. You don't want to be trapped in the car with a 3 meter tower of fire filling the back seat. Call out if you're staying behind and I'll do what I can to help.

<<@Rotodrone[Fleet]: Protect Person 'Me'>>

A single thought arcs out through the wireless void and all of the newly arrived cars unlock and swing open their doors simultaneously.
Emilio
<<Team[Emilio]: I was planning on going with the boys. I'm better than most at driving. Anyone going with them that's even better? Since we may 'lose' the car, we probably should have a meat driver. So speak quick or I'll hop in the driver's seat.>>

<<Eclipse[Emilio]: I didn't hear you call anyone to drive this car. If you know someone's better than I am, please say so.>>
Emilio
Emilio glances around looking at good paths to drive out on if it comes to that.
BishopMcQ
<<@Eklipse [Cypher]: Get off my back about the TacNet, Fleet killed it not me.>>

<<@Team [Cypher] If you want me back in the matrix, you need to follow my lead and put them in the cab. The payday is gone if they get in Fleet's cars and we have to fight off the kid's psychotic fairy godmother. If we track the car and guide it to the payday, we can still get the money.>>

Fenris
<<@Team[Fleet]: Apparently I need to say this slower. If we can't handle her, we can't force them to go back to NeoNet. Even if they do go back to NeoNet on their own, there's nothing requiring the corp to pay us if they already have the boy. We need some real specific details on exactly how we get paid if the autocab runs off with the kid. Now. Or kiss your plan goodbye.
BishopMcQ
<<@Team[Cypher]: Jump in if you want to tango with her, she's already subverted several systems. As I said, TRACK THE CAB, when it stops and is somewhere safe, we put the call in and collect our fee. The cab's directions are to take it to a safe location.>>

Notsoevildm
Gottverdammt!

<<@Team[Eklipse]: Okay zen. Fat Man, Emilio, go with ze kids in ze cab. Keep them alive! Fleet, cover them with as many drones as you can. Mundanes, to ze warded car. Rest, to ze others. Zerone, Q, cover our retreat. Cypher, track ze cab. Frag it up and I shoot you myself.>>
BishopMcQ
Moving toward the van, Cypher launches the Trace on the cab, a task made simpler since it was sitting right in front of him.

"I'm following it in the matrix."
Emilio
Frak! Frak! Frak! Frak! Frak! Out of the frying pan and into the bonfire!

<<Team[Emilio]: Will do! I hope having me and Fat Man in the cab will make it easier to track. I ever so look forward to seeing y'all soon.>>

Emilio heads over to the near side of the cab, opens the back door, gets in, waves the people carrying the kids over, and slides across the seat. He lets the Alpha hang low, and turns to be ready to help one of the boys into the back.
Fenris
<<@Team[Fleet]: Alright boys and girls, you heard the plan. I prefer not getting shot.
JxJxA
Zero moves towards the car. Once he sits down, he casts a spell that shimmers about his body. He appears more focused and strong of will.

<<@Team[Zero]: I will shift to the Astral. Protect my body. I will look for it at our safehouse, but if not please drop me off with Dr. Huxtable here (address attached).>>

Adeodatus fades from view, abandoning the physical world for the astral once more...
Strangeglove
Strangeglove tries to decide which is more baffling, the fact that an autocab is trying to intimidate him, or that it has already intimidated the rest of the group. He briefly considers flipping the autocab onto its roof, to demonstrate his virility and leadership, but Emilio jumping in the car complicates matters.

He turns to Eklipse.

"Just to be clear, the plan is to put fifty thousand nuyen worth of unconscious corp kid into an unarmored, unshielded, hostile autocab, defend it from the oncoming wrath of god, then hope it goes somewhere that results in us getting paid?"

Strangeglove takes a moment to be impressed that the tone of the inquiry suggests he's questioning Eklipse's tactics as opposed to sanity.

In lieu of waiting for a reply, he strides over to the autocab, carefully places the kids inside, then jumps into the shielded vehicle Fleet indicated.
Notsoevildm
"Pretty much" mutters Eklipse after the departing troll.

His grin is hidden under his helmet.

What was that old saying? Ah yes, 'I love it when a plan comes together!'
copperheed
Q drops his over-watch of the drones now that Fleet's back in control, so he could focus on the Astral. The running in Hong Kong was never this tense. Of course the Triads played smart and always went after weaker opponents instead of tackling stronger foes and praying one lived.

<<Fleet[Q]: Can you get me the node of the auto-cab? I'm going to try to convince the "fairy godmother" that we're helping.>>

<<Cypher[Q]: Can you get me the node of the auto-cab? I'm going to try to convince the "fairy godmother" that we're helping.>>

<<SG[Q]: Remember to tell your teamster friends the run is a bust for the night. Don't want them showing up to a hornet's nest.>>
Strangeglove
<<@Aideen: This run is falling apart so fast your crew is likely to get hit by the shrapnel. Have your guys pull out, and tell them I'll buy them a beer if I live through it.>>

<<@Q, Fleet: Has it escaped anyone else's attention that Cypher is the only person who has details of the job, has contact with the Johnson, has seen the threat requiring us to abort the misson, and is the one who came up with the new plan that coincidentally puts the payoff in a car he controls?>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012