Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Coats?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Smiley
uhhhh... sure, i suppose so...
KillaJ
Hey, some of us just like to feel pretty once in awhile.
Fresno Bob
I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty, and witty, and...hey, look over there.

Crusher Bob
AFAIK, the original use for the word 'duster' was a light (long) coat that American women would waer over thier easter dresses. Traditionally, easter was the first day for spring dresses, but the weather was not always spring-like. So you needed some sort of coat (a duster) to go with you easter dress... It also protected your easter dress from dust and pollen that were likely to be blowing around.

The term was later adapted to refer to any long, light coat.
Neon Tiger
IRL, I wear a leather trenchcoat at winter times. It shields me from the cold and the piercingly cold winds. In winter times, the it is not unusual to have -20 Celsius and of course it's a lot worse if you happen to live in a coastal city. Or if you live in Lappland, where it can be as cold as -40 Celsius.... well, you get the idea.

As for standing out, yes, I do. People look at me like I'm somekind of monster or something and small kids point at me and say "Look at that wierd old man". And I'm only 24. Sigh. But then, I live in the Savo region, which happens to full of prejudicial hillbillies, so I guess it's just that.
Fresno Bob
I have a mohawk, so small kids are always look "Ooh, look at his hair!" Mohawks do not facilitate speedy travel through airports.
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (Voorhees)
I have a mohawk, so small kids are always look "Ooh, look at his hair!" Mohawks do not facilitate speedy travel through airports.

Don't get me started how much crap I got when I had a mohawk. I'll never get one again, never ever! mad.gif

Sheesh. I hate living in here. I guess I should move somewhere else...
Connor
The duster's I'm mostly familiar with are light coats, but they're still usually made of thick cotton and they're treated with oil to be weatherproof. Think of the coats you see in westerns and what not with the shoulder flaps (although they don't have to have the flaps). Interestingly enough a lot of the ones I see around here come from Australia...heh.

They're definately designed to be worn year-round if need be and to be layered over other thicker coats in the winter.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
But then, I live in the Savo region, which happens to full of prejudicial hillbillies, so I guess it's just that.

It's just that. Something like 5-10% of the Univ folk here in Turku wear what would pass as Long Coats at all times other than during the summer -- then it goes down to ~3%.

I know I don't wonder why people wear long coats, and I don't know anyone who would look at them strange. If someone wears a long leather coat during the summer, that might get a few looks, the environment-factor like people have been mentioning. But otherwise I really don't think it's an issue.
simonw2000
QUOTE (CardboardArmor)
Hate katanas...so much...

What about no-dachis?
CardboardArmor
They made those to cut the legs out from under horses when cavalry charged at you...

Never had cavalry charge at me in Shadowrun. The swing arc is also pretty severe, it's kinda useless in an indoor environment...

I've nothing against them like I have against katanas, they just don't seem especially useful, but they're okay I guess.
Abstruse
I live in Texas and work for the post office, so needless to say I got a few strange looks when the temp finally dropped enough for my 6'3" frame to be wrapped in a leather trench. Then again, those were generally the stupid people giving me the looks...the same ones who screamed "ANTHRAX!!!!" when some powdered sugar from a box of donuts was found in the break room...(to make that funny, you must realize I work at a Remote Encoding Center, where there is absolutely NO physical mail, everything is done with images of the mail over internet connections).

PS. Katanas are cool and have been with us in Shadowrun loooooong before The Matrix...but apparently no one these days remembers Highlander or William Gibson novels or the major Japanese influence in cyberpunk worlds...same with the black trench coat.

The Abstruse One
Firewall
QUOTE (Abstruse)
apparently no one these days remembers Highlander or William Gibson novels or the major Japanese influence in cyberpunk worlds...

Two of my obsessions were Snow Crash and Highlander, yet I still reserve a special circle of Hell for people who over-use katanas. All I can think of is the scene in Indiana Jones with the dual-scimitars... (says the man who created a physad with "L33T sword-skillz" and an Ares Monosword...)
Gotti
As many have said, it is enviroment dependent. I believe I also stated this in my first post. My games are typically set more to the south(as I am a southern bo), where wearing any armor is virtually impossible for half of the year.

My primary issue is one that it is something that stands out. Yes, if you're wearing a buisness suit with it, then you're going to catch little second looks. If, like most runners, you apparently wear a long-coat and normal attire, it's going to arouse suspicions. Especially amongst the police(who have searched me twice while wearing one). If you look like you have something to hide, then you are likely hiding something.

The secondy problem is that people use long-coats to justify carrying an aresenal of weaponry. Because they can conceal it.

And finally, It's too fucking trendy and stereotypical.
Firewall
I am in the UK, so it may be slightly different here but I have never been challenged for my coats. Long leather or my cashmere overcoat. In my time as a fight-director, I have actually used that overcoat to smuggle weapons past security guards. One of the inner pockets split and you would not believe the fun you can have drawing a rapier from an inside pocket...
blakkie
QUOTE (Firewall)
I am in the UK, so it may be slightly different here but I have never been challenged for my coats. Long leather or my cashmere overcoat. In my time as a fight-director, I have actually used that overcoat to smuggle weapons past security guards. One of the inner pockets split and you would not believe the fun you can have drawing a rapier from an inside pocket...

Should we expect your picture on the 6-o'clock news? cool.gif
Firewall
[8 Mp deleted] (damn these [img] tags)
If you see this man, DO NOT APPROACH. Direct him to the nearest high-speed internet connection and call [2Mp deleted] to inform the Tir...
Solstice
whoever said a duster is "light" obviously hasn't worn one for extended periods. Mine probably weights at least 6 lbs.

One of two things usually happens when I wear my duster.

1. I'm pegged as a cowboy. Which around here is most everyone.
2. People give me the "Columbine" look.
Moon-Hawk
I always thought the defining feature of the modern "duster" (as opposed to any other long coat) was the slit up the back for your motorcycle/horse. I could very well be wrong.

And by "light", I think people mean realatively thin, not a thick and poofy winter coat, 'cause you're right, they're HEAVY. Even when they're not leather.
Solstice
my definition of a duster may be different since i grew up in the West.

It's waterproof canvas/leather/tincloth
split up the back for wearing on horse back can be snapped shut also
has leg cuffs you can button around your legs to keep it from billowing out behind you.
has a double breasted button system
goes to mid shin or so in length
if fragging heavy and warm and could probably stop a small caliber bullet if hit in a thick spot.
Mine does have quilt insulation on the inside and you can buy a wool (i think it's wool) liner that is damn warm.

you can see what a real duster ( the aussie and american west version) here:

http://www.outbacktrading.com/duster/index.html
Sammiel
I've never been searched, but I do get that columbine look all the time.
Connor
I have to say Soltice did a much better job of describing said duster than I did.

Also, Moon-Hawk is right as far as the definition of 'light'. Most dusters I've seen are definately not winter coats, and are usually made to be layered over something. Although, I have to say when I used to wear a duster it worked fine in the winter here most of the time, but if I was the type who spent all day out working in the cold weather it would have definately had a thicker coat underneath it.

I may have to get another duster once summer is over. It's been awhile, and I don't always like wearing my trench, sometimes it feels too nice...heh.
Hot Wheels
In the work place today a duster/raincoat is an acceptable cover over office clothes, unless it's blistering hot. I know Snow Fox had more battered coats she wore in RL when she had business in the Bronx or Brooklyn that she wouldn't have worn anywhere else, and she has a leather duster she she doesn't wear to work but loves everywhere else.
Snow_Fox
I had an old tan london fog for rough neighborhoods, and a dark blue coat for good stuff. Both of those have liners to put in for colder weather but for winter, really cold it gets creative, but if i can do that in New york and Philly, not particularly wet areas, then you can certainly get away with it in a noted wet town like Seattle.
TimeKeeper
Still have mine in San Diego. Used to wear it all the time (even when I was on West Pac at port visits.) I got more crap from people on the boat then I did in any forgien port or back home.

Anyone here live in Maimi? How cool does it get in late September/early October?
(Just saw the Punisher and that fact that all the bad guys and Castle worn long coats didn't sit well with me.)
Luke Hardison
I don't live in Miami, but I have been there in September, and it really wasn't very warm at all, not even compared to where I live in Texas. We saw clear skies and low 60's all week. For that matter, it wasn't humid compared to where I live in Texas ........
Gotti
It's not that hot in florida during the fall/winter, but I think you may have just caught a bad weather period. In north carolina, charlotte in particular, I know we stay with 80 and up well into september. August is the hottest month of the year over here. But it's the humidity as well.
Drain Brain
I read a bit of this thread last night and it inspired me to do a little practical research on a related topic.

I own two principal items of coat-wear, a long leather trench (oh so very stylish and goth) and what my fiancee calls "that ugly grey thing" - an old grubby urban camo bomber jacket.

I went upstairs to the armoury (my family runs a theatrical props business) and put on a shoulder rig holding an automatic pistol (fake, obviously, but its a perfect replica of a Sig P226). Then I tried on the two coats and asked a panel (my parents, my fiancee and my best friend) which concealed the rig better.

The bomber won.

So why do we get an arbitrary 50% bonus for length of coat when a bulging-style padded coat hides all sins (like my fat belly)? I'll grant that it would help more with AR's and katanas sleepy.gif but for the light pistol under your arm, surely it should apply to other items as well! Thoughts?
Connor
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
So why do we get an arbitrary 50% bonus for length of coat when a bulging-style padded coat hides all sins (like my fat belly)? I'll grant that it would help more with AR's and katanas sleepy.gif but for the light pistol under your arm, surely it should apply to other items as well! Thoughts?

I don't think there's any good answer to that. Bomber jackets, parkas, normal winter coats like you see on the ski slopes, etc. are all going to hide pistols and hell, probably an SMG too better than a long coat.

Although, you can have the long coat tailored to help increase it's ability to hide a pistol. Give it a little more room on that side or whatever.

It's just another thing that boils down to "Long coats and katana's are cool!" Ah well...
Drain Brain
Certainly a fair comment - I'll agree with you from a personal styling point of view. When I go out socially that would be my RL choice. The same goes for IC. The long coat also maintains the "I wonder what he's hiding under there?" effect.

However practicality dictates otherwise. My leather trench has four pockets of moderate size which are not very secure. I know it's not armoured or designed for anything other than casual wear, but that's that. My bomber, on the other hand, has four sealable main pockets and a fifth sealable arm pouch. On top of that, for transportation of tools/accessories/whatever, there's a vest with an additional 14 pockets, or a padded version of same (for that little bit of extra toasty warmth) with only another 7. You see where I'm headed?

Assuming that I don't have to conceal a sword, shotgun or other lengthy item, then I'll take the armoured coat any day. Stylistically like a bomber jacket, it gets away with having an awful lot of carrying space without arousing suspicion. If you put that many pockets on a long coat, you'd look like a freak!

Still, different strokes for different folks I guess...
Hot Wheels
How about a country western look- a long coat as like a frock coat for business over a suit vest and slacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012