Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double-Check on Armor Numbers, Please
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 29 2012, 12:06 PM) *
Bike armor is okay, for some things. Not so good for tactical minded characters, in my opinion. *shrug*

I don't know about that. It's one of the few suits of armour that can take a full chemical seal and is still street legal. For a body 4 character with FFBA it's almost perfect, stat wise.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 28 2012, 10:18 PM) *
I don't know about that. It's one of the few suits of armour that can take a full chemical seal and is still street legal. For a body 4 character with FFBA it's almost perfect, stat wise.

In theory, a Full Suit of FFBA could take the Chemical Seal as well. *shrug*
Bike Armor is very nice, I just do not like it for Tactical applications. Personal Choice I guess. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 27 2012, 11:06 PM) *
This all seems very silly. Are you trying to tell me that Light Armor Clothing and Heavy Armor Clothing from the Globetrotter line, in a section headed Armor Clothing, aren't Armor Clothing?

It's very easy: since the section in Attitude mentioned SR4A explicitly and did not include Arsenal, then yes.

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 11:13 PM) *
In order to say Armored Jacket, Armored Vest and Lined Coat aren't they would have to. Sounds pretty dumb, doesn't it?

You say "dumb," I say "RAW."

QUOTE (Cabral @ Oct 27 2012, 11:35 PM) *
I take you believe that since the Arsenal section introducing the clothing lines is titled armor clothing, that they are included? The Attitude entry appears to call out armor clothing by name and SR4A page number. It seems strange that the developers would exclude a Lined Coat, but include Mortimer of London's Greatcoat Line.

See above: since Arsenal was not explicitly mentioned then it is not allowed wholesale without House-Rules.

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 28 2012, 07:28 AM) *
The reason people think the Armor Clothing lines from Arsenal count is that Jason Hardy said so. http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1055225

As has been pointed out many times before, an FAQ is not Errata - it is simply a list of accepted House-Rules.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 29 2012, 10:19 AM) *
In theory, a Full Suit of FFBA could take the Chemical Seal as well. *shrug*
Bike Armor is very nice, I just do not like it for Tactical applications. Personal Choice I guess. smile.gif

In theory, the Evo HEL suit has a full chem seal when the mask is applied, although the rules don't state that it does.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 29 2012, 10:00 AM) *
It's very easy: since the section in Attitude mentioned SR4A explicitly and did not include Arsenal, then yes.

Nope. I consider this reference to include "clothing and armor clothing," not the specific item Armor Clothing, since the rules for all clothing and armor clothing in general are found on that page. Arsenal clearly expands this category; Arsenal is clearly included.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 29 2012, 12:00 PM) *

You say "dumb," I say "RAW."

See above: since Arsenal was not explicitly mentioned then it is not allowed wholesale without House-Rules.

And this kind of thing is exactly why I called the ruling rules lawyering.
Cabral
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 29 2012, 01:20 PM) *

I agree. I think the modification should be banned on all clothing with an inherent armor rating or allowed for all types of clothing with armor. I also believe that neither is the intention of the developers; I don't think they thought through this section very well...
Neraph
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 29 2012, 11:38 AM) *
Nope. I consider this reference to include "clothing and armor clothing," not the specific item Armor Clothing, since the rules for all clothing and armor clothing in general are found on that page. Arsenal clearly expands this category; Arsenal is clearly included.

Actually, yes. What you just said after the word "consider" is all outside the purview of RAW and is considered a House-Rule. The reason Arsenal doesn't work is because it also points at SR4A, SR4A doesn't point to it. If two streams flow into the same lake you cannot say that the water from one stream flows into the other stream because they are connected by a lake - both currents flow to the same point.

QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 29 2012, 12:20 PM) *

You call it "rules lawyering," I call it "RAW." What you and the others are declaring are nothing more than House-Rules - not bad, just don't expect to have your House-Rules followed at every table you play at.

QUOTE (Cabral @ Oct 29 2012, 06:40 PM) *
I agree. I think the modification should be banned on all clothing with an inherent armor rating or allowed for all types of clothing with armor. I also believe that neither is the intention of the developers; I don't think they thought through this section very well...

I don't see the same problem with it. It allows you to get a maximum armor class of 7/1 for a value of 800 nuyen.gif. This is hardly game-breaking.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 30 2012, 08:04 AM) *
Actually, yes. What you just said after the word "consider" is all outside the purview of RAW and is considered a House-Rule. The reason Arsenal doesn't work is because it also points at SR4A, SR4A doesn't point to it. If two streams flow into the same lake you cannot say that the water from one stream flows into the other stream because they are connected by a lake - both currents flow to the same point.
I completely disagree with your interpretation here. It would be like saying "this modification only works with light or heavy pistols (SR4A 317)," and then trying to claim that would exclude the Ruger Thunderbolt.
Neraph
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 30 2012, 12:38 PM) *
I completely disagree with your interpretation here. It would be like saying "this modification only works with light or heavy pistols (SR4A 317)," and then trying to claim that would exclude the Ruger Thunderbolt.

Yours is also an interpretation.

I see we are at a draw.
Halinn
I see two people, each holding one gun, engaged in a mexican standoff. I shoot them both with my underbarrel grenade launcher.
FuelDrop
You know, it occurs to me to ask whether a weapon with an integrated underbarrel weapon (such as an Ares Alpha) can have another underbarrel weapon strapped to that.

and maybe another strapped to that, daisy chaining indefinitely...
SpellBinder
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 31 2012, 05:14 PM) *
You know, it occurs to me to ask whether a weapon with an integrated underbarrel weapon (such as an Ares Alpha) can have another underbarrel weapon strapped to that.

and maybe another strapped to that, daisy chaining indefinitely...
Fortunately the weapon mod for Underbarrel Weapon specifically says that, "You cannot attach an underbarrel weapon to another underbarrel weapon."
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 31 2012, 02:50 PM) *
Yours is also an interpretation.

I see we are at a draw.

Not really. My interpretation has been confirmed by the designers to be correct, so there you go.
Neraph
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Oct 31 2012, 06:33 PM) *
Not really. My interpretation has been confirmed by the designers to be correct, so there you go.

I'd like to see that errata. Otherwise it's simply hearsay.
tsuyoshikentsu
When you move into the realm of interpretations, not all are equally valid. In cases where intent is impossible to construe, RAW is all we can go by; fortunately, we have a case where intent has been clearly stated and supports a position that does not contradict the RAW. So basically, you don't really have a leg to stand on.
toturi
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 1 2012, 03:26 PM) *
When you move into the realm of interpretations, not all are equally valid. In cases where intent is impossible to construe, RAW is all we can go by; fortunately, we have a case where intent has been clearly stated and supports a position that does not contradict the RAW. So basically, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Since you claim to have a case where the intent is clearly stated, then please do quote the person.

However, I must state that only when such an intent were to be made clear via published source, then would such an interpretation be RAW. Otherwise, absent such a clarification, then all possible RAW interpretations would still be valid RAW-wise.
tsuyoshikentsu
The RAW on this matter is unclear. The best that can be said of it is that there are a number of possible interpretations. (As opposed to, for example, someone claiming that it applies only to the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit, which is clearly absurd.) The RAW does not distinguish between the quality of the available interpretations in this case, because both arguments are cogent and to a certain degree in line with common sense. (That is to say: While I disagree with Neraph, I understand how he arrived at the conclusion that he did given the text presented; I assume he feels similarly.)

So in a sense I agree with you.

But the intent has been clearly stated previous to this--or rather, linked to. Allow me to include the quote itself:
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Mar 28 2011, 07:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Mar 28 2011, 07:24 PM) *

OK, here's what my quenstion relates to:

Sidebar, Game Rules; P. 160, Attitude

Armor: Most clothing does not come with any ballistic or impact protection, but new techniques allow for some protection. Carbon-boron infusion, Kevlar threading, and Delta-amyloid coatings are available. (Layered protection rules still apply). These modifications can be added to regular clothing or to armor clothing (p. 326, SR4A)

If a DEV wants to chime in it would silence debate, but if they don't reply, I will take suggestions.

Here's the question:

Did they mean "Armor Clothing" as in the B:4/I:0 item specifically, or the entire category listed as "Armor Clothing" as opposed to suits of armor. Or is there a happy medium like applying to the "designer" armored clothing in Arsenal?

-Kerenshara

The happy medium.

Jason H.

So while one can argue as to the various interpretations in an absence of a game itself, with any consideration of intent--and, therefore, in any gameplay scenario, including Missions--my interpretation is correct and should be followed if attempting to play without houserules.

Now, I would argue that Neraph's reading is incorrect in other ways; I believe it assumes a limiting factor not otherwise present. I do not, however, see the need to press the point home, as anyone who cares less for pedantry than for gameplay should already have seen that the matter is moot in the extreme.
toturi
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 1 2012, 05:56 PM) *
So while one can argue as to the various interpretations in an absence of a game itself, with any consideration of intent--and, therefore, in any gameplay scenario, including Missions--my interpretation is correct and should be followed if attempting to play without houserules.

Now, I would argue that Neraph's reading is incorrect in other ways; I believe it assumes a limiting factor not otherwise present. I do not, however, see the need to press the point home, as anyone who cares less for pedantry than for gameplay should already have seen that the matter is moot in the extreme.

And how does the "happy medium" not contradict the RAW?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 1 2012, 06:44 AM) *

Because it doesn't?
"Armored Clothing" is not "Armor" it is "Clothing". *shrug* smile.gif
While you wear "Armor" is is never classified as actual Clothing. smile.gif
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 1 2012, 05:44 AM) *

My interpretation of how this is the case was offered some few posts ago.
toturi
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 2 2012, 02:55 AM) *
My interpretation of how this is the case was offered some few posts ago.

Are you refering to post 54? If so, can you elaborate on how you come to that interpretation and how Jason's answer as well as your interpretation are both RAW.
tsuyoshikentsu
Because the rules don't say something like "clothing and the 4/0 Armor Clothing armor." Basically, I see two possible readings of the RAW and the developer indicating which one is correct.
toturi
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 2 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Because the rules don't say something like "clothing and the 4/0 Armor Clothing armor." Basically, I see two possible readings of the RAW and the developer indicating which one is correct.

I also see 2 possible readings of RAW.

1) 4/0 Armor Clothing
2) Armor clothing in general

Developer's answer is that BOTH are incorrect with respect to intent, hence his going with the "happy medium".
All4BigGuns
SR4A "clothing" and "armored clothing". By description of the items (which is "RAW")
Feedback Clothing: This clothing modification creates feedback
and resistance in order to allow for a tactile augmented reality
experience. This technology is still rare, as full immersion solutions are
cheaper and also more effective.

Leather Jacket/Duster: Whether a basic jacket or a knee-length
duster the leather jacket never goes out of style and offers a modicum
of protection.

Actioneer Business Clothes: These discreetly armored “power
suits” are still très chic among Mr. Johnsons, fixers, and executives who
are looking for a little high-class protection with their neo-Japanese
style. Features a concealed holster (an additional –2 Concealability
modifier) inside the jacket.

Armor Clothing: The extra-resilient ballistic fiber in armor clothing
offers basic protection while being indistinguishable from regular clothing.

Armor Jacket: The most popular armor solution on the streets
comes in all styles imaginable. It offers good protection without catching
too much attention, but don’t think of wearing it to a dinner party.

Armor Vest: Modern flexible-wrap vests are designed to be worn
under regular clothing without displaying any bulk.

Lined Coat: Reminiscent of the long dusters worn in the days
of the Wild West, lined coats offer good protection and also provide
an additional –2 Concealability modifier to items hidden underneath.

Arsenal is a bit much to copy/paste, so see pages 45 through 47 in the second printing.
tsuyoshikentsu
Oh, I see what you're saying. That's not my interpretation, but I see how you got there.

I don't think that, as written, anything in the core book besides Armor Clothing counts as armor clothing, though I think that the leather jacket, lined coat, and Actioneer suit certainly should. (Feedback clothing is an add-on to regular clothing and therefore isn't any kind of armor at all, just a modification.) The vest and the jacket, however, are clearly not; that's a bulletproof vest and something like a motorcycle armor jacket, not regular clothing.
All4BigGuns
The above are simply the most restrictive that I can conceivably see going. Personally, I would include the Camouflage Suit and Urban Explorer as well. Basically I would only exclude things described as full body armor. (Full Body Armor, Military Armor, Security Armor, SWAT Armor, Biker Armor and the Environmental Armors)

QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 1 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Oh, I see what you're saying. That's not my interpretation, but I see how you got there.

I don't think that, as written, anything in the core book besides Armor Clothing counts as armor clothing, though I think that the leather jacket, lined coat, and Actioneer suit certainly should. (Feedback clothing is an add-on to regular clothing and therefore isn't any kind of armor at all, just a modification.) The vest and the jacket, however, are clearly not; that's a bulletproof vest and something like a motorcycle armor jacket, not regular clothing.

Where in the descriptions do you get those statements (other than feedback--and without assuming anything not expressly printed in said descriptions)?
tsuyoshikentsu
Calling them "Armor X" instead of "Armored X" implies, to me at least, "made of armor" instead of "reinforced." Also, in the case of the Armor Vest, the fact that it's supposed to be worn under one's clothing makes me think that it wouldn't count as clothing by itself.

I mean, unless you're a member of Eisenfunk or something.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 1 2012, 11:04 PM) *
Calling them "Armor X" instead of "Armored X" implies, to me at least, "made of armor" instead of "reinforced." Also, in the case of the Armor Vest, the fact that it's supposed to be worn under one's clothing makes me think that it wouldn't count as clothing by itself.

What makes you think that the Armor Vest is "supposed to" be worn under clothing when it merely says the design is so that it doesn't show undo bulk when it IS worn under clothing? (I feel this is a case of assuming something not expressly printed.)

As to the rest, well, it seems to be rather flimsy reasoning to say that merely because of use of a shorter word, especially considering that the number of letters saved between all uses of "Armor" instead of "Armored" probably saved a full two "words" worth of letters in the printing costs (which is likely the purpose).
Neraph
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Nov 1 2012, 10:16 PM) *
As to the rest, well, it seems to be rather flimsy reasoning to say that merely because of...

It all seems to be "rather flimsy reasoning" to me, from an exact wording perspective. The text clearly states clothing and armored clothing, and there are two classifications of things to be bought on the page referenced, which are Clothing and Armored Clothing. It is a logical leap to include anything else in the "Armored Clothing" classification as far as the RAW text is concerned; that is my only point.
_Pax._
Okay, folks - how about we all agree to disagree?

And then agree that our disagreement is just one more mile-high-neon-letters sign pointing out that Catalyst's apparent pathological aversion to releasing, updating, and maintaining a useful errata and FAQ (and in downloadable format, no less) serves no other purpose than to perpetuate and exacerbate divisions like this one ...?
All4BigGuns
_Pax._
I'm sorry, but you appear to have clicked the "post" button before actually typing anything meaningful.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 2 2012, 12:35 PM) *
I'm sorry, but you appear to have clicked the "post" button before actually typing anything meaningful.

Nope, had a post, but I decided against saying what I had to say, as it would just fall on intentionally-deaf ears.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Oct 27 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Whereas I believe the intent would be for anything that isn't hard-plated armor (like Full Body Armor, Military Armor, Security Armor and the other full suits like those) to be applicable for the infusions. And hey look, all of those have the highest ballistic and impact ratings. Now, FFBA and the PPP stuff wouldn't be, but, well, there'd be little purpose in putting them on those anyway--just like I wouldn't bother with SoftWeave on those even if it were being allowed by the GM, so little encumbrance on those anyway.

Yeah, but then you start to get to the wierd scenarios where full combat armor is beat by someone wearing a helmet, armored jacket, FFBA, and cycber.

(AFB Side note: I always thought that bioware, cyber, magic and natural armor don't count towards encumbrance)
_Pax._
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Nov 2 2012, 02:42 PM) *
Nope, had a post, but I decided against saying what I had to say, as it would just fall on intentionally-deaf ears.

You appear to have clicked the "post" button too early, again.

(Yes: I can and will meet passive-aggressive nonsense with more of the same.)
_Pax._
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2012, 04:15 PM) *
(AFB Side note: I always thought that bioware, cyber, magic and natural armor don't count towards encumbrance)

Your thinking was/is correct.

Armor from bioware, cyberware, magic, and most natural armors (there are a couple SURGE qualities that except themselves) do not add to Encumbrance at all.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2012, 01:15 PM) *

They Don't. smile.gif

Edit: Damn Ninja's...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2012, 02:02 PM) *
They Don't. smile.gif

Edit: Damn Ninja's...

They add in unnecessary apostrophes as well. grinbig.gif
DnDer
That's not an apostrophe, it was a warning shot. The next kunai won't miss.

Don't talk about the... well... you know.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Nov 2 2012, 05:04 PM) *

That's just to distract you from the dropbears.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Nov 2 2012, 02:04 PM) *

They do?
Halinn
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2012, 10:18 PM) *

They do wha..aaaaah! They're in my face!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 2 2012, 03:12 PM) *
They do wha..aaaaah! They're in my face!

Alas, if only you had better armor.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2012, 02:18 PM) *

I see that dropbear... that just means... clever girl!
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 2 2012, 08:58 AM) *
And then agree that our disagreement is just one more mile-high-neon-letters sign pointing out that Catalyst's apparent pathological aversion to releasing, updating, and maintaining a useful errata and FAQ (and in downloadable format, no less) serves no other purpose than to perpetuate and exacerbate divisions like this one ...?

This. I mean, they can change the covers of the books, for crying out loud, but they can't errata stuff?

(I *liked* the old Augmentation cover....)
_Pax._
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2012, 04:19 PM) *
They do?

Yes, apparently they do.

"Ninja's" = possessive form of Ninja; the ninja's shuriken hit the drunken pirate in the face.

"Ninjas" = plural form of Ninja; four ninjas snuck onto the pirate vessel.

^_^
_Pax._
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Nov 2 2012, 06:10 PM) *
This. I mean, they can change the covers of the books, for crying out loud, but they can't errata stuff?

I know. That is one thing that, IMO, 3.X edition D&D had going very strongly in it's favor: the Main FAQ was well-organised, thorough, and updated as necessary.

(I *liked* the old Augmentation cover....)

So did I. frown.gif

I also liked the original cover for Unwired. A lot.
Dolanar
FWIW, Paizo has a great deal of open communication with its userbase & has people that Errata regularly. IMO this is a good example of how a company could handle things.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 2 2012, 03:46 PM) *
I also liked the original cover for Unwired. A lot.
I kind of like old and new, so I didn't mind that so much.

I am a super fan of changing Arsenal from odd-looking ork to OrkC Denton, though. grinbig.gif
Medicineman
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 2 2012, 07:44 PM) *
Yes, apparently they do.

"Ninja's" = possessive form of Ninja; the ninja's shuriken hit the drunken pirate in the face.

"Ninjas" = plural form of Ninja; four ninjas snuck onto the pirate vessel.

^_^

By-the-Way
Ninja means" little Girl" in Spanish
(Ninjo = little Boy )
Thats one of the many Reasons why Pirates are always better than Ninjas

with an OutOfTopic Dance
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012