Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Staff Swords
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
A Clockwork Lime
If you can rationalize it to your GM, knock yourself out. The guidelines I suggested above work fairly well for combining any two weapons together (I recently used it for a shotgun-shillelagh for an Irish magician of mine). When it comes down to it, it's really just about style and flair, and that should always be encouraged.
CardboardArmor
Japan's got all sorts of stories about a blind swordsman who uses a weapon like that. Check out Zatoichi sometime. I think he pre-dated Blind Rage by a good few decades.
mfb
i'm told that the story was folded several hundred thousand times.
CardboardArmor
omfg omfg the story si teh essense of teh tru samuri oh got oh got msut get it for my stret sammie
Connor
For anyone interested a new version of that story is being brought to America this summer....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/zatoichi.html

I don't know if it's a straight rehash of the old one or what, but it looks like it might be fun, and give us a new round of of CardboardArmor's reaction there...
Austere Emancipator
I don't know at which point the 1 Power difference between a Staff and a Bo Staff became "a massive fucking big deal". Changing the prices to something like Club-10, Staff-20, Bo Staff-75 does indeed fix it quite well.

My point was that, the way it is written, there is no explanation to why a Bo Staff is better than a regular Staff. It's as cheap and has all the other upsides of a regular Staff, but does more damage. Consider if Katana had otherwise the same stats as a regular Sword, but did (STR + 3)M Physical damage and had an avail of 4/48hrs. I'm sure it would not at least reduce the amount of use Katanas see in SR.

It's not that big a deal. It just all goes to reaffirm the popular myth that everything out of Asia is teh shit. I would like to see affirmative action from the makers of these games to get rid of that myth.

To get back to the topic:
Conc 2 for the Staff, Conc 6 to notice it's a Sword/Staff, Conc 4 for the Sword alone. 2kg total weight, 1kg for either the Sword or Staff alone. Availability 6/72 hrs. Reach 2 for the Staff, R1 for the Sword. (STR + 3)M Stun for the Staff, (STR + 2)M Physical for the Sword.

Street Index possibly 1, 1.5 or 2. I like A Clockwork Lime's first suggestion for price, 2,250 (for 2 weapons) + 50 (Staff) + 500 (Sword) = 2800 nuyen.gif.
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, my brother has a cane sword. He was crippled in a car accident and thus requires a cane. . . and the sword parts really just an affectation, he doesn't need it.

How would you put a Katana-like blade in a Cane? As the blade is curved, your cane would have to be too which would be just weird looking. A rapier would work, so would a foil, epee, or even maybe a gladius, but not a katana, shamshir, or scimitar.
Arethusa
Gladius would be far too wide and far too short. For a katana to do it, the blade would need to be one of the much straighter designs, true, but it's still doable. You just have a slightly curved walking stick. Given that it's just a stick, not incredible that it's somewhat curved. Just don't get out of hand with it. Do agree that it's not possible with shamshir or a scimitar, however.
Tziluthi
Moonstone Spider, is it illegal for people to walk around with concealed weapons where your brother lives?
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Moonstone Spider, is it illegal for people to walk around with concealed weapons where your brother lives?

Yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012