Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hiatus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 13 2012, 09:53 AM) *
I'd be more worried if commanders like the IG too much biggrin.gif

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind. Thought at least there's a couple of smart ones (CREEEEEEED!) stuffed in among the "Human wave" and "Drive me closer co I can hit it with my sword" types.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2012, 03:27 PM) *
Has anyone else noticed how many of the top 10% of intelligence people are playing SR?

I've yet to see a test that covers all the different kinds of intelligence or isn't biased based on culture or education. It tends to annoy me, not only because it's inherently flawed, but some people take it as confirmation that they're better then everyone else... Just look at Mensa's description of itself. The arrogance and condescension in that statement is mindboggling.

QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 13 2012, 04:14 PM) *
I've maintained for years that Roleplaying is a really good learning experience for people. I actually have it written on my CV under interests, and say that I believe that it builds social skills, problem solving skills, critical thinking etc.

I totally agree on everything but the social skills, having played tabletop RPGs since my early teens. I can vouch for that it greatly helped me develop a lot of higher thinking processes and also made certain subjects that I abhorred bearable (Math is more fun when you're counting in dice), helped my english, my imagination, my problem solving etc. What it didn't do... Was help me overcome my crippling shyness.

As past-times go, roleplaying does a lot more for character growth than computer games (which I also enjoy), builds teamwork, debating, it's a whole rounded skillset.

All of those you can aquire in online games aswell, tabletop presents an opportunity to exercise your imagination that computer games doesn't however.

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2012, 04:58 PM) *
As for other gaming - I continue to assert that successfully running a guild in WoW and other MMOs is a sign of good leadership skills and thinking under stress. I personally took a guild from falling apart to successfully raiding heroic raids in under two weeks (before ICC released)...

...But leadership traits are the same regardless of where that leadership comes into play, and any avenue that hones those traits is beneficial in my opinion.

Always mentions my four or so years of experience as an WoW guild officer in my resumé. Bringing to light the constant problem solving, organising, people skills and personal initiative maintaining a online social network requires. Then there's ofcourse the whole leadership role that wrangling a raid brings.
Why wouldn't I put that on my resumé? smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 13 2012, 11:41 AM) *
What it didn't do... Was help me overcome my crippling shyness.

Take two anime conventions and call me in the morning.
ChromeZephyr
...preferably after you've showered off the heavy nerdfunk scent. wink.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2012, 06:58 PM) *

Oh I got over it, but not thanks to roleplaying smile.gif
But that sounds incredibly infuriating, why would I want to go to that?
Neraph
I love urban backpacking anime conventions. They've really helped me come out of my shell. So has being married. It took me three hours to ask my wife out the first time and now I can walk up to complete strangers at conventions and tell them they're beautiful (as a compliment and not as a way of trying to get into bed with them). I think not having a fear of rejection helps.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2012, 08:28 PM) *
I love urban backpacking anime conventions.

For me it seems like the obnoxious people would outweight the awesome people.
Then again I'm one of those weird geeks that don't consider everything and anything Japanese the epitome of creation.
Each to his own, neh?

They've really helped me come out of my shell.So has being married.

Meeting new friends did it for me, well that and losing about 100lb.

now I can walk up to complete strangers at conventions and tell them they're beautiful (as a compliment and not as a way of trying to get into bed with them). I think not having a fear of rejection helps.

That ought to get interesting/hilarious reactions
DnDer
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 13 2012, 11:41 AM) *
Always mentions my four or so years of experience as an WoW guild officer in my resumé. Bringing to light the constant problem solving, organising, people skills and personal initiative maintaining a online social network requires. Then there's ofcourse the whole leadership role that wrangling a raid brings.
Why wouldn't I put that on my resumé? smile.gif

All good and well. How do I cite my years of dungeon mastering on my resume? That doesn't translate quite as well as the established position of "guild officer." I've often cited that I organize and run local hobbyist events at a local business... But that's as specific as I usually try to get until I'm actually hired.
Lionhearted
Well, putting the importance at "Doing this have helped me develop the following skills", rather then "I play games" is usually the way to go.
Qualities like being able to come up with solutions to problems under pressure, settle disputes, organise etc. etc. It's all about how you frame it.
Neraph
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 13 2012, 01:47 PM) *
For me it seems like the obnoxious people would outweight the awesome people.
Then again I'm one of those weird geeks that don't consider everything and anything Japanese the epitome of creation.
Each to his own, neh?

Yes, but those awesome people aren't awesome for no reason, natch?

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 13 2012, 01:47 PM) *
That ought to get interesting/hilarious reactions

It does. I'm bringing chivalry back, one convention at a time. Most girls simply go all googly when a modestly attractive young gentleman approaches them, tells them they're beautiful, and kisses the back of their hand. It should be done more often. I'd do it every day except in these United States I suppose I'd get charges filed against me by someone.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 13 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Interestingly enough... my favorite games while in the Corps were Twilight 2000 and AD&D. I even loved Champions. Never heard of Shadowrun until a few years after I got out of the Corps. Actually started playing Shadowrun in 1993. It quickly became one of my favorites, outpacing my love of Cyberpunk 2020..

Talk about Military oriented, Gun Loving preferences, Twilight 2000 was very popular with the guys I played with in our unit.
A US Army captain I know from TV Tropes forums likes Warhammer 40K, Cyberpunk and Shadowrun (we never discussed Twilight 2000, though), so I guess this selection of titles is pretty common.
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 13 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Dude, I just changed my signature yesterday, and now you want me to change it again?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 14 2012, 02:25 AM) *
A US Army captain I know from TV Tropes forums likes Warhammer 40K, Cyberpunk and Shadowrun (we never discussed Twilight 2000, though), so I guess this selection of titles is pretty common.

When I was in the Gulf, prior to the kick off across the Lines, My Lieutenant gamed (AD&D) with us every evening. It was..... interesting.
Neraph
Oy. My paperwork has to go all the way up to a General for authorization. Looks like I'll be here for a while yet.
Stahlseele
Bureaucracy:
The worst thing to happen to anybody, yet better than any kind of Plot-Armor . .
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 16 2012, 02:01 AM) *
Bureaucracy:
The worst thing to happen to anybody, yet better than any kind of Plot-Armor . .

Brazil(the movie) freaks me out for a good reason. Somedays I think bureaucracy only exist to prevent normal people from getting stuff done
Neraph
Exactly. Bureaucracy is not the intention of government, but when bureaucracy intersects anything you get the Red Tape roadblocks.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 15 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Oy. My paperwork has to go all the way up to a General for authorization. Looks like I'll be here for a while yet.

What's causing the holdup Neraph?
Sengir
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 13 2012, 06:25 PM) *
Yeah, that thought did cross my mind. Thought at least there's a couple of smart ones (CREEEEEEED!) stuffed in among the "Human wave" and "Drive me closer co I can hit it with my sword" types.

The thing is, at least according to background fluff the human wave tactic IS the smart thing to do. The only saving grace of the Imperium is their ability to send enough troops into the grinder to clog it.
Stahlseele
No, the smart thing would be to do some orbital bombardement, then do an air raid bombing run, then do a ground based artillery and missle bombardement, then go in with tanks and THEN go sweep with human waves . .
On the first sign of trouble, pull back human waves behind tanks., pull back tanks so they won't be hit by the next bombardement either by orbital or ground based artillery or bombing runs by airforce.
Rinse and repeat untill enemy has been flattened.
Lionhearted
Nuke them from orbit... It's the only way to be sure
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 16 2012, 09:18 AM) *
What's causing the holdup Neraph?

My four-month-old son. Have to get a whole new wave of Waivers done for him, and apparently the waivers need to go to a General to be signed off on.
Lionhearted
You could consider it a blessing in disguise then. More quality time before you have to leave. Admittedly they mostly sleep and eat at that age, but hey! Maybe you'll get lucky and find out you got some metablood in the family smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 16 2012, 02:32 PM) *
My four-month-old son. Have to get a whole new wave of Waivers done for him, and apparently the waivers need to go to a General to be signed off on.

Man, I know y'all get a little bonus for recruiting a buddy, but I think that's going a little too far, don't you? wink.gif
Garou
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 16 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Brazil(the movie) freaks me out for a good reason. Somedays I think bureaucracy only exist to prevent normal people from getting stuff done

I think the real country would freak you out too. The bureacracy here is something of a nightmare. And i don't even mention the taxation. smile.gif

There. My thread derailing is done.

OP: Good luck to you Neraph. I never gone to military service myself (here in Brazil, the draft is mandatory, but there is excess people wanting to get in the Forces.)But it i whs you the best of luck.

If was a general, every RPG player would get sent to intelligence training. Recruits that come with minimal strategy basics right of the box, and always hatching crazy plans? Papa army always needs some of that!

All others: The last line was a joke. Please don't be mad at me.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Garou @ Dec 16 2012, 03:35 PM) *
If was a general, every RPG player would get sent to intelligence training. Recruits that come with minimal strategy basics right of the box, and always hatching crazy plans? Papa army always needs some of that!

All others: The last line was a joke. Please don't be mad at me.

Mad at you? Feck, man, you only speak the frelling TRUTH ...!! ;D
Neraph
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 16 2012, 07:10 PM) *
frelling

You've seen Farscape?

On topic-ish: So as it stands now I will be notified the moment my waivers go through and will be on the very next plane to boot camp. It'd be a lot more fun if I wasn't busy doing the stay-at-home dad thing (ie: incapable of working out like I need to be. I haven't had a good workout more than once a month, and in the Marines that's falling waaay behind).
kzt
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 16 2012, 08:59 PM) *
You've seen Farscape?

On topic-ish: So as it stands now I will be notified the moment my waivers go through and will be on the very next plane to boot camp. It'd be a lot more fun if I wasn't busy doing the stay-at-home dad thing (ie: incapable of working out like I need to be. I haven't had a good workout more than once a month, and in the Marines that's falling waaay behind).

You can still do situps, pushups, pullups and kettlebells. Running might be hard, but everything helps.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 16 2012, 10:59 PM) *
You've seen Farscape?

Yep. I'm not a dedicated fan, but I've seen enough of it - and have a friend who IS a bg enough fan - for the term to have caught 'hold. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 16 2012, 11:22 PM) *
You can still do situps, pushups, pullups and kettlebells. Running might be hard, but everything helps.

Don't own kettlebells, but yeah. There's a distinct difference between working out in between child feedings/diapers/baby cuddles and devoting yourself to an exercise for an hour and a half, though.

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 16 2012, 11:40 PM) *
Yep. I'm not a dedicated fan, but I've seen enough of it - and have a friend who IS a bg enough fan - for the term to have caught 'hold. smile.gif

I've got the last episode and the movie left and I've watched it all. It's pretty awesome.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 05:48 AM) *
I've got the last episode and the movie left and I've watched it all. It's pretty awesome.

Haha. This is already like the third tangent in this crazy all over the place thread, but I'll go with it. I used to love Farscape for the first 2 series or so but then it got so confusing that missing a few episodes completely threw the story out and I had to stop. The ship had a baby? Then at one point I thought he actually got home, then when I saw it again a couple of weeks later they were still flying off in space. Interesting characters though
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Garou @ Dec 16 2012, 09:35 PM) *
I think the real country would freak you out too. The bureacracy here is something of a nightmare. And i don't even mention the taxation. smile.gif

Ohhh, so that's why you people are all "Gibe money pleaze huehuehue"!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 16 2012, 11:32 AM) *

Why does your son need waivers? Or I guess, Why do you need waivers for your son? Strange.
And yes, more quality time before shipping out is good. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 16 2012, 10:22 PM) *

Never forget the value of in-home 12 count body builders. That was a popular one when I was in the Corps... along with the Pushups and Situps and Mountain Climbers, and... well, you get the picture. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 16 2012, 10:48 PM) *

Completely awesome... Watched it twice in a row, back to back, all the way through (including Movie) a few months ago. Love it. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 17 2012, 03:26 AM) *
Haha. This is already like the third tangent in this crazy all over the place thread, but I'll go with it. I used to love Farscape for the first 2 series or so but then it got so confusing that missing a few episodes completely threw the story out and I had to stop. The ship had a baby? Then at one point I thought he actually got home, then when I saw it again a couple of weeks later they were still flying off in space. Interesting characters though

Moya was a living ship, remember? As a living ship it can reproduce. Also, Talyn was freakin' amazing.

Yes, Chriton made it back to earth a few times through wormholes. Since wormholes (in that series) were tunnels through space/time, he showed up when he was supposed to be like 15 once and eventually got it right. The Scarrans followed him back to earth though, so he ended up destroying the wormhole so they couldn't conquer earth.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2012, 09:00 AM) *
Why does your son need waivers? Or I guess, Why do you need waivers for your son? Strange.
And yes, more quality time before shipping out is good. smile.gif

Newer regulations because of a certain current-administration's budget cuts to Defense spending has caused a lot of cutbacks to occur, one of which was limiting the amount of dependents one can have to go into each branch. Since I have a wife and two children I need my dependent waivers signed off on from a General, and I also needed to show financial stability and have letters from family/friends stating they'd be able to help when I'm gone.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 08:38 AM) *
Newer regulations because of a certain current-administration's budget cuts to Defense spending has caused a lot of cutbacks to occur, one of which was limiting the amount of dependents one can have to go into each branch. Since I have a wife and two children I need my dependent waivers signed off on from a General, and I also needed to show financial stability and have letters from family/friends stating they'd be able to help when I'm gone.

Wow... Good to know. Very different from when I was in the Corps, that is for sure.
Good Luck and Semper Fidelis.
Neraph
I've heard a story recently that someone had to wait 8 months for his paperwork to clear. I hope I'm not in that boat...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 08:54 AM) *
I've heard a story recently that someone had to wait 8 months for his paperwork to clear. I hope I'm not in that boat...

Yikes...
Lionhearted
What is the standard procedure for families of injured/deceased soldiers? I'm assuming that's what the waivers are about.
Ehm, I apologize in advance if I'm being to blunt.
kzt
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2012, 08:03 AM) *
Never forget the value of in-home 12 count body builders. That was a popular one when I was in the Corps... along with the Pushups and Situps and Mountain Climbers, and... well, you get the picture. smile.gif

Yup. It's all good. If you can do 20 pullups and 80 pushups a mediocre run time will probably not get you too much grief. Also look at You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises. It's by a guy who ran the PT program for USAF pararescue. He has a fairly cheap iphone app that has video IIRC.
Neraph
The Corps wants 20 pullups, 100 sit ups, and a 1.5 mile time for maximum PT scores. I'm at 14/80/decent, but not minimum time.

As for everything else: it's been hard, but I don't have tremendous excuses for it I guess. Lately I've gotten sick, so the idea of doing a workout with things coming out of my nose is not pleasant. And yes, my 4 mo really doesn't like being put down. That also makes things more difficult. I do military bench presses (ammo can lifts) with him though, and he likes it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 12:42 PM) *
The Corps wants 20 pullups, 100 sit ups, and a 1.5 mile time for maximum PT scores. I'm at 14/80/decent, but not minimum time.

As for everything else: it's been hard, but I don't have tremendous excuses for it I guess. Lately I've gotten sick, so the idea of doing a workout with things coming out of my nose is not pleasant. And yes, my 4 mo really doesn't like being put down. That also makes things more difficult. I do military bench presses (ammo can lifts) with him though, and he likes it.

PT Test is no longer 3 Miles? What the heck? WHen I was in the Max for the Test was 300 Points.

20 Pullups (100 Points)
80 Situps in 2 Minutes (100 points)
3 Miles in 18 Minutes (100 Points)

Scores went down from there, with a Maximum time on the 3 Miles at 30 Minutes to pass the Running portion.
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2012, 02:32 PM) *
3 Miles in 18 Minutes (100 Pints)

I know that's a typo, but running 3 miles being worth 100 pints of adult beverages would get a lot of people off of their couches. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 17 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I know that's a typo, but running 3 miles being worth 100 pints of adult beverages would get a lot of people off of their couches. wink.gif

Indeed it is... Good catch. smile.gif
Lionhearted
Are these considered good physical health?
I know personally I barely manage 20 push ups nyahnyah.gif
(Crunches shouldn't be much of a problem however)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 17 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Are these considered good physical health?
I know personally I barely manage 20 push ups nyahnyah.gif
(Crunches shouldn't be much of a problem however)

They are considered Good Marine Corps Physical Health, which is not the same thing.
MOst Marines in my unit were pretty capable of the Max Pullups and Situps, the 3 Miles was an average of 21 Minutes for the unit, with some faster and some slower, with only 8-10% falling after the 25 Minute time mark. No one ever took the full 30 Minutes, though.

My times for the run went from 19 Minutes (out of Boot Camp) to 24 Minutes (Out of the Gulf War). I was in for 8 Years. As I got older, and the wear and tear started to take hold, my times went down. Still managed the Pullups and Situps maximums, though.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2012, 03:32 PM) *
PT Test is no longer 3 Miles? What the heck? WHen I was in the Max for the Test was 300 Points.

20 Pullups (100 Points)
80 Situps in 2 Minutes (100 points)
3 Miles in 18 Minutes (100 Points)

Scores went down from there, with a Maximum time on the 3 Miles at 30 Minutes to pass the Running portion.

You describe the PFT, I was describing the IST.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 03:46 PM) *
You describe the PFT, I was describing the IST.

Ah yes... The IST... Forgot about that one.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2012, 11:24 PM) *
They are considered Good Marine Corps Physical Health, which is not the same thing.

Let me guess, what you have in mind is Good Physical Health -> Good Air Force Physical Health -> Good Athlete Physical Health -> Good Navy Physical Health -> Good Army Physical Health -> Good Marine Corps Physical Health. wink.gif
Faelan
Best run I ever had was 20:32, but then I was a tank, not a runner. .50 cal receivers did not slow me appreciably.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012