Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hiatus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 18 2012, 05:33 AM) *
Let me guess, what you have in mind is Good Physical Health -> Good Air Force Physical Health -> Good Athlete Physical Health -> Good Navy Physical Health -> Good Army Physical Health -> Good Marine Corps Physical Health. wink.gif

Hmmmmm... From top to bottom - Outstanding Physical Marines to Outstanding/Good Athletes to Good Army to Good Physical Health to Okay Navy to "The Air Force works out?" But that could just be my Marine Corps Bias talking... smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Faelan @ Dec 18 2012, 05:45 AM) *
Best run I ever had was 20:32, but then I was a tank, not a runner. .50 cal receivers did not slow me appreciably.

They do tend to do that.

I could also say that about Mortar Bases, Heavy Machine Gun Tripods, and the SMAW. smile.gif
19:03 was my absolute best in my Final PFT of Boot Camp (MCRD San Diego for the win). I tended to average about 22 minutes for most of my Marine career (ran a 44 Minute Camp Pendleton 10k in NCO School), but did slow down the last year or two. Of course, running with Chronic Bursitis (in the hips) is always fun, which I unfortunately picked up in Boot camp. *shrug*
StealthSigma
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 17 2012, 01:40 AM) *
Yep. I'm not a dedicated fan

Trelk.

--

QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 17 2012, 01:48 AM) *
I've got the last episode and the movie left and I've watched it all. It's pretty awesome.

Don't let the last episode discourage you too much. You'll understand why us Farscape fans consider Firefly fans cry babies when they talk about their show getting cancelled.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Dec 18 2012, 07:59 AM) *
Don't let the last episode discourage you too much. You'll understand why us Farscape fans consider Firefly fans cry babies when they talk about their show getting cancelled.

I was WAY pissed off about the ending of the last Episode, until I found the Movie. In fact, Pissed off does not even cover it. smile.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 18 2012, 11:53 AM) *
I was WAY pissed off about the ending of the last Episode, until I found the Movie. In fact, Pissed off does not even cover it. smile.gif

The shenanigans that Sci-Fi pulled were beyond the pale. Sci-Fi was entirely in support of the show then pulled the rug out from under them.

Here's a write-up of the events that transpired and how the likely lead to the cancellation.... It's apparently Michael Jackson's fault....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Dec 18 2012, 09:05 AM) *
The shenanigans that Sci-Fi pulled were beyond the pale. Sci-Fi was entirely in support of the show then pulled the rug out from under them.

Here's a write-up of the events that transpired and how the likely lead to the cancellation.... It's apparently Michael Jackson's fault....

Interesting Reading... Thanks. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 18 2012, 06:33 AM) *
Let me guess, what you have in mind is Good Physical Health -> Good Air Force Physical Health -> Good Athlete Physical Health -> Good Navy Physical Health -> Good Army Physical Health -> Good Marine Corps Physical Health. wink.gif

My recruiter personally knows an Army Ranger who went Marines and stated that Ranger School is easier than Marine Boot Camp. I also personally know a female Marine who's in the last leg of her OCS who picked up a CIA/FBI application that specifically looked for Army Delta Force, Navy SEALs, Air Force Pararescue, or Marines. Not Marine Snipers, not Marine Recon, just Marines. It's been rightly said that the Marines are their own branch of elite military who have their own elite groups inside it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 18 2012, 12:48 PM) *
My recruiter personally knows an Army Ranger who went Marines and stated that Ranger School is easier than Marine Boot Camp. I also personally know a female Marine who's in the last leg of her OCS who picked up a CIA/FBI application that specifically looked for Army Delta Force, Navy SEALs, Air Force Pararescue, or Marines. Not Marine Snipers, not Marine Recon, just Marines. It's been rightly said that the Marines are their own branch of elite military who have their own elite groups inside it.

Indeed... And we are damned proud of it. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 18 2012, 01:56 PM) *
Indeed... And we are damned proud of it. smile.gif

See the first line of my sig. biggrin.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 18 2012, 12:48 PM) *
My recruiter personally knows an Army Ranger who went Marines and stated that Ranger School is easier than Marine Boot Camp.

He's wrong or misleading for dramatic effect. The failure rate is not comparable. There was a 42% graduation rate from Ranger school last year IIRC. What is the graduation rate from boot camp? I'm told it is career death for the few Marines who get selected to go to ranger school to fail, but they select officers and NCOs to attend and they select and train to avoid becoming the 60% of failures who fail in the first 3 days due to PT, Land Nav, 15.5 mile foot march or the combat water survival course (in other words, they were not properly prepared).
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Dec 18 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Physical Health in 'Merica -> Good physical health -› Good Air Force Physical Health -> Good Athlete Physical Health -> Good Navy Physical Health -> Good Army Physical Health -> Good Marine Corps Physical Health

Sorry couldn't resist ^^
Also I heard a story a while back and Im not sure how true it is, but it is related to that notion.
So I heard that in some sort of exchange program Navy SEALs visited one of our special forces branches. As a fun exercise they were invited to try the mandatory obstacle course and failed admirably.
Worth noting is that this particular branch (known as fallskärmsjägarna "parachute hunters") are considered one of the best Artic climate special forces in the world, they train in the 'where hell freezes over' part of the country and it's likely that this story is severely exaggerated for some national chestbeating pride.
Neraph
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 18 2012, 02:09 PM) *
He's wrong or misleading for dramatic effect. The failure rate is not comparable. There was a 42% graduation rate from Ranger school last year IIRC. What is the graduation rate from boot camp? I'm told it is career death for the few Marines who get selected to go to ranger school to fail, but they select officers and NCOs to attend and they select and train to avoid becoming the 60% of failures who fail in the first 3 days due to PT, Land Nav, 15.5 mile foot march or the combat water survival course (in other words, they were not properly prepared).

I didn't say anything about the failure rate, I was talking about the whole experience. The PT, the DIs, the length, the mental stress - all of it. Also note I said Army Rangers and not Delta Force or Pararescue - there are definite degrees of elite out there.

We can go back and forth with different branches and their _____ contests, but from everything I've seen, read, and heard, Marine boot is worse than some other branches' lower-tier special ops.
ChromeZephyr
*sniffs* Whew, the testosterone in here is rather thick, someone open a window. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
are you nuts?
there's like . . . fresh air out there . . . that's poison to any good nerdery <.<
_Pax._
.... fresh air, and sunlight ...!!! O_O

(Well, not exactly RIGHT NOW ... really it's rather dark out there ... which only means I might TRIP AND FALL ... geeze, why would anyone want to go out there...?
kzt
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 18 2012, 01:27 PM) *
We can go back and forth with different branches and their _____ contests, but from everything I've seen, read, and heard, Marine boot is worse than some other branches' lower-tier special ops.

Ranger school is a patrolling and small unit leadership SCHOOL. It's run by the Infantry School. RASP is the selection course, it is run by the Ranger Regiment and traditionally has about a 30% graduation rate.
KnightAries
Navy SEALS
Marine Recon
Army Rangers
Air Force...... Um... Para-rescue (IIRC).

The all have their purpose and roles in the grand scheme. No one is fully better than any other (Though I'll always side with the SEALS for obvious reason.).

After 12 years of service; I still find it amusing that the Navy has it's on lingo besides the acronyms.
Head, Bulkhead, Overhead, Deck, Swab, Cadillac, Scuttlebutt, Gee dunk, etc...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KnightAries @ Dec 19 2012, 12:43 AM) *
Navy SEALS
Marine Recon
Army Rangers
Air Force...... Um... Para-rescue (IIRC).

The all have their purpose and roles in the grand scheme. No one is fully better than any other (Though I'll always side with the SEALS for obvious reason.).

After 12 years of service; I still find it amusing that the Navy has it's on lingo besides the acronyms.

Pogeybait, Squid...smile.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (KnightAries @ Dec 19 2012, 08:43 AM) *

That's just mariner talk innit?
Yet to hear someone call right bloody right on a boat...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 09:54 AM) *

Well,
Port is a place where you park a boat
and a Starboard is much like a Surfboard, but for star surfing.

As a Marine, I used Right and Left, personally. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (KnightAries @ Dec 19 2012, 01:43 AM) *

Head, deck, eyes, bird, butterbar, chow, jarhead, ink stick, rack, LPCs... Marines have their own lingo too.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 19 2012, 06:49 PM) *
Well,
Port is a place where you park a boat
and a Starboard is much like a Surfboard, but for star surfing.

As a Marine, I used Right and Left, personally. smile.gif

Marine'r' not Marine, as in seafarer wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 11:16 AM) *
Marine'r' not Marine, as in seafarer wink.gif

Yeah, I know... smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 19 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Head, deck, eyes, bird, butterbar, chow, jarhead, ink stick, rack, LPCs... Marines have their own lingo too.

Some of which we share with the Navy Squids.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 13 2012, 10:23 AM) *
Talk about Military oriented, Gun Loving preferences, Twilight 2000 was very popular with the guys I played with in our unit.

One of the first RPGS I boutgh other than D&D. I have fond memories of taking out bumpers with 40mm HEDP grenades. Nothing like playing the 40+ year old Colonel with one of the last M1A2's in the western front. Youngest PC I ever made was a 15 year old East german kid with an AK-47......
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Dec 19 2012, 12:16 PM) *
One of the first RPGS I boutgh other than D&D. I have fond memories of taking out bumpers with 40mm HEDP grenades. Nothing like playing the 40+ year old Colonel with one of the last M1A2's in the western front. Youngest PC I ever made was a 15 year old East german kid with an AK-47......

Yeah, I was an old school Russian Spec Ops character forced to work with the East German Interrogator, the British SAS guy, and a couple of American GI's because we had all been cut off from our units. Worked out pretty well in the end. Even if we did lose the Brit 5 minutes into the game from an ill thrown grenade.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 08:54 AM) *

Well, it does make sense that the navy would use nautical terms, don't you think?
Lionhearted
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 19 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Well, it does make sense that the navy would use nautical terms, don't you think?

Aye, but it's not like it's a navy specific thing, as he made it sound like
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 01:04 PM) *
Aye, but it's not like it's a navy specific thing, as he made it sound like

You apparently missed the part where us Marines don't care about those antiquated Seafarers. Left and Right, as opposed to Port and Starboard. smile.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 19 2012, 09:51 PM) *
You apparently missed the part where us Marines don't care about those antiquated Seafarers. Left and Right, as opposed to Port and Starboard. smile.gif

It is quite silly, their terminology. "Turn starboard at the next intersection, then it's the second road to the port"?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 19 2012, 01:55 PM) *
It is quite silly, their terminology. "Turn starboard at the next intersection, then it's the second road to the port"?

Indeed... Squids are crazy... smile.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 19 2012, 09:51 PM) *

I was refering to KnightAries who clearly is a navy guy... But suddenly I feel like I'm missing something.
and I only speak boat in my own language thank you very much wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 02:01 PM) *
I was refering to KnightAries who clearly is a navy guy... But suddenly I feel like I'm missing something.
and I only speak boat in my own language thank you very much wink.gif

Boat is a Language? smile.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 19 2012, 04:55 PM) *

I'd slap anyone who said that to me.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 19 2012, 10:28 PM) *
Boat is a Language? smile.gif

It's what they speak in Boatswana.
Um, excuse me I need to punch myself for that one.
I actually live in one of the largest harbor cities in Europe but I'd be damned if I know nautical terms in other languages, I only got like 4 ranks in English...
_Pax._
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 19 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Some of those aren't Marine-specific, they're just "Soldier-talk". LPC and Jarhead, I heard in BCT for the Army, for example. And not from the DI who was a former marine gunnery sergeant, either.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Dec 19 2012, 01:36 PM) *
I'd slap anyone who said that to me.

Would you laugh at the utter level of ridiculousness before or after said slapping? Obviously they only apply to seafaring vessels. (well, except for referring to the head. I regularly use that term).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 19 2012, 02:50 PM) *
It's what they speak in Boatswana.
Um, excuse me I need to punch myself for that one.
I actually live in one of the largest harbor cities in Europe but I'd be damned if I know nautical terms in other languages, I only got like 4 ranks in English...

Boatswana? Consider yourself on report.
Hey, a Rank 4 English skill is outstanding. Better than most Americans, I would wager. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 19 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Some of those aren't Marine-specific, they're just "Soldier-talk". LPC and Jarhead, I heard in BCT for the Army, for example. And not from the DI who was a former marine gunnery sergeant, either.

However, the Army does not Identify as "Jarheads"... That would be "Dogs".
Us Marines, however, wear the term Jarhead like an Honor, and we are the fiercest Devil Dogs around. smile.gif
_Pax._
Funny anecdote: in BCT, that former-marine D.I.? Declared he was the only man in the company allowed to make Marine jokes or call marines Jarheads ... "Officers included but don't tell them I said that".

And the ONLY joke he made?

Q: How do you kill a group of marines?

[ Spoiler ]

*chuckle*
kzt
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 19 2012, 03:13 PM) *
Would you laugh at the utter level of ridiculousness before or after said slapping? Obviously they only apply to seafaring vessels. (well, except for referring to the head. I regularly use that term).

I remember a marine captain in FAOBC who told the class to "secure the hatch". Then louder "secure the hatch". Then shouted "close the damn door!"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 19 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Funny anecdote: in BCT, that former-marine D.I.? Declared he was the only man in the company allowed to make Marine jokes or call marines Jarheads ... "Officers included but don't tell them I said that".

And the ONLY joke he made?

Q: How do you kill a group of marines?

[ Spoiler ]

*chuckle*

Heh... I like that one. smile.gif
_Pax._
It does have the advantage of not being disrespectful. smile.gif
KnightAries
My last Ship was an LPD where we could carry 4 - 6 hundred Marines. Great bunch of guys.
Ask one where they got the rank Gunnery Sargent and see how many different answers you get besides "I don't know". I'll say after 2 deployment with the same MEU I've only had 1 actually answer it.

Oh, and a marine who's been on a small ship actually understands why were are crazy. biggrin.gif

I LOVE high wind; high seas.
KnightAries
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 19 2012, 04:22 PM) *
I remember a marine captain in FAOBC who told the class to "secure the hatch". Then louder "secure the hatch". Then shouted "close the damn door!"

What Hatch? There's only a door. LOL!!!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KnightAries @ Dec 19 2012, 09:35 PM) *
My last Ship was an LPD where we could carry 4 - 6 hundred Marines. Great bunch of guys.
Ask one where they got the rank Gunnery Sargent and see how many different answers you get besides "I don't know". I'll say after 2 deployment with the same MEU I've only had 1 actually answer it.

Oh, and a marine who's been on a small ship actually understands why were are crazy. biggrin.gif

I LOVE high wind; high seas.

USS Tuscaloosa... Worst Ship Ever to be on as a Marine. I was sick for 11 days. Damned Flat Bottom Boat.
The Pelelieu, on the other hand, was a cruise ship in comparison.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Dec 19 2012, 06:13 PM) *

I wouldn't laugh. Dead pan is the only way to go. It elevates the humor of it for observers.

QUOTE (KnightAries @ Dec 20 2012, 12:40 AM) *
What Hatch? There's only a door. LOL!!!

Hatches are doors on a boat.....
Stahlseele
Hatch is on a Tank. Maybe on a Submarine.
Bulkhead is on a Ship.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 20 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Hatch is on a Tank. Maybe on a Submarine.
Bulkhead is on a Ship.

Bulkheads are the WALLS on a ship.

The doors are Hatches.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 20 2012, 09:05 AM) *
Bulkheads are the WALLS on a ship.

The doors are Hatches.

Specifically dividing walls on the ship, otherwise it's the hull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012