Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun dungeon crawls.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Adam
QUOTE (toturi)
So? Are P2P discussions a request for pirated material?

P2P discussions that include things such as:

speaking of which, do you know of any WinMX servers with SR stuff on?

are indeed against the rules. That's a blanket policy; it would be the same if he asked for a copy of a D&D book, Adobe Photoshop, a Metallica MP3, or anything else. The policy is not up for discussion at this time.
tisoz
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Whats P2P??

Pirate 2 Pirate smile.gif

toturi, you've been here long enough to have seen all the arguements.

P2P for Shadowrun books is requesting pirated material. Why come to a forum where the authors visit to make such requests?

Btw, that was an author telling you it isn't tolerated here.
kevyn668
Hmmm, "Pirate to Pirate" does seem (do more than) imply a request for "Pirated" material...

So, if its maps you want can you just get building specs somewhere? Scratch that. I just checked. Type in "Building Schematics" on Google. You should be good to go. Since you don't plan on publishing your adventures it should be no prob. Then you can use the "NPC Generator" found here and a name generator found here

Edit: And since I just checked the NPC generator and they're all pedestrians (and therefore suck)...try this instead.

Presto.
toturi
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Apr 22 2004, 07:52 AM)
Whats P2P??

Pirate 2 Pirate smile.gif

toturi, you've been here long enough to have seen all the arguements.

P2P for Shadowrun books is requesting pirated material. Why come to a forum where the authors visit to make such requests?

Btw, that was an author telling you it isn't tolerated here.

I know... I just wanted to see how much of Canon Forum Rules are being enforced and how the much of the spirit of the law is enforced instead of the letter...
gknoy
I'd like to add that I'm very happy to see that the "no piracy" rules are strongly enforced, both in letter and spirit. As much as I'd LOVE to have PDF or other versions of SR literature, I'm still obligated to buy the books.

btw, "Pirate 2 Pirate" was pretty funny =-)
Lindt
"Pirate 2 Pirate" Does anyone else get a great mental picture outta that? "Yarrrrr!" "Avast Arr!"
Berzerker
Just in case this forum may be hopelessly confusing someone out there...P2P actually means Peer to Peer. Basically file distribution without a central server to store the files. Everyone contributes what they have to the whole, but the files remain on their harddrive.
simonw2000
Which makes it near-impossible to shut the network down. biggrin.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Berzerker)
Just in case this forum may be hopelessly confusing someone out there...P2P actually means Peer to Peer. Basically file distribution without a central server to store the files. Everyone contributes what they have to the whole, but the files remain on their harddrive.

That's not true. It only specifies that transers take place from peer to peer without going through the server. The network itself can very well still be centralized, as in the case of Napster or Kazaa. You can have a semi decentralized network, like eDonkey, which is far better, and even something like Overnet, which is truly serveless, but much slower and something of a prototype.
Firewall
QUOTE (Lindt)
"Pirate 2 Pirate" Does anyone else get a great mental picture outta that? "Yarrrrr!" "Avast Arr!"

Having spent the day playing Puzzle Pirates, my first reaction to a good many things has been a good solid 'Arrrr...' and I think it is disturbing my wife somewhat...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mana Child)
But i stick by my coment that SR probably isnt a game suited to a comman dungeon crawl.

Again, Renraku Arcology: Shutdown.

And yes, I'll just keep repeating that every so often.

~J
Dax
You now, sometimes I really don't get why there's so much hostility towards D&D. My only explination is that everyone has played Forgotten Realms, which is without a doubt, the most low brainpower campaign setting I've seen in my life.

I like both. I've played D&D, (Greyhawk only) and Shadowrun, and I like both of em. Though I like them for different reasons. Just, why all the hating?
Connor
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Mana Child @ Apr 22 2004, 05:32 AM)
But i stick by my coment that SR probably isnt a game suited to a comman dungeon crawl.

Again, Renraku Arcology: Shutdown.

And yes, I'll just keep repeating that every so often.

~J

And of course you can take the basic premise of RA:S and adapt it to other locations and circumstances as you see fit.

An underwater arcology, a remote secret research lab, etc. Replace Deus and his minions with something more befitting your style of play or whatever.

One of my favorite games was a 'dungeon crawl-esque' resident evil kind of thing. (only the GM had been familiar with resident evil at the time) Not only was it quite a fun game, we didn't complete the mission successfully and barely escaped with our lives.

But it's true that there isn't really anything pre-done for dungeon crawl games in Shadowrun. You're pretty much left to roll your own. And I don't know if they'd be the best way to introduce new players, since Shadowrun is less about that style of game play.

Just have the players start off in the Barrens somewhere for whatever reason seems logical for the team and have them fight their way out to a safe zone or something if you're just wanting to get the mechanics down or something like that.

I suppose I'm sort of in the middle on this one, I can see dungeon crawls working and have done so before, but they weren't really the standard common dungeon crawl either.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dax)
Forgotten Realms, which is without a doubt, the most low brainpower campaign setting I've seen in my life.

I believe Krynn/Dragonlance is usually agreed to be the worse campaign setting between people who're familiar with both. Believe me, my problems with D&D have absolutely nothing to do with Forgotten Realms. Otherwise I wouldn't be porting FR (no matter how heavily modified) to SR.

why all the hating?

Start a thread in the General Gaming, and I can tell you that levels, hit points and classes as well as the general power level of the game are more likely culprits.
Nath
If it only require a justification to crawl... You can play mafia hitmen specialized in 'cleaning' operations, just roaming through junkies squat, drugs lab, ship loaded with AK-97 crates, illegal cyberclinic or an oyabun villa. You can play at least a handful of session before running out of justification. During the 2057-2060 Corporate War even megacorps could have resorted to such tactics to raid other corps facilities. Actually, there's one adventure in Blood in the Boardroom where PCs must take control of a Delta Clinic and kill the vampire leading the experiments. Once the runners blocked all the doors from the control room, you can play it as a dungeon. Or you can also play with Cyberpirates, boarding each ships, submarines and platforms like you were exploring a dungeon. Evbven better, a team of mercenaries can be called to raid diamond mines held by rebels in Africa or caves hiding islamists in Afghanistan...

Now from a more technical point of view, decking, rigging, astral projection and a face's legwork don't fit well in a dungeon crawl.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Dax)
Forgotten Realms, which is without a doubt, the most low brainpower campaign setting I've seen in my life.

I believe Krynn/Dragonlance is usually agreed to be the worse campaign setting between people who're familiar with both. Believe me, my problems with D&D have absolutely nothing to do with Forgotten Realms. Otherwise I wouldn't be porting FR (no matter how heavily modified) to SR.

Not by me. Not even close.

~J
Bearclaw
I have many things to say.

If you've been playing with a group of gamers long enough, they are occasionally going to want a slaughterfest to go along with the hours of legwork, planning and sneaking which is normally what SR is about. So, you can either make new characters, etc and play d&d or the GM can just give em what they want.

I'm against pirating anything worth paying for, but I have everything that's been printed in .pdf form, except a couple new books. I also have everything in hard copy, except "Missing blood" and the DMZ box, but the boss hates it when I start digging through my 150 pound box of books at my desk. The 2 gig on my hard drive isn't even noticed though, and I can screw off in a very SR kind of way at work.
I'd be glad to BUY .pdf's, especially for OOP stuff, if they were ever made available.

SR players complain about D&D because if there's too much chance of failing if you're good at something and too much chance of success if you suck at something. And there is no such thing as levels of success. Unless you just want to use how much you made it by as a meter, but even that is way too random.
Austere Emancipator
Kage: You don't count. You don't like BeCKS, so basically you can't even be considered human. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Kage: You don't count. You don't like BeCKS, so basically you can't even be considered human. nyahnyah.gif

Fair enough. It's one of many reasons people have offered over the years for why I can't be human.

~J
Dax
Austere: I don't quite agree with that comment on Kyrnn. I do know that the Kyrnn covered in the Dragonlance book that just came out is not the same Kyrnn I knew back when I first started playing it. But, whatever. I have issues with the Realms for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here unless you got some burning curiosity on why I do.

However, on your other comments. The hit point and level issue is something I've never seen to be better or worse than the Shadowrun way of doing things, just a different way of dealing with it. But the power level issue...

Yes, in recent years expecially, D&D has become a power fest. The release of the peice of crap Epic Level Handbook drove me insane, as a player who belives that character's should retire once they hit 20th level. I do belive that far to many D&D DM's let the power level of their characters become an issue. Let me give you an example...

In our current D&D campaign, I have a 19th level mage named Jordan who is a bit of a bitch and power hungry to boot. Her level puts her 5 levels higher than the king of her country (The United Kingdom of Ahlissa). However, I know that if I tried to have her kill the king to take his place, my DM would not let Jordan's power become an issue. He would find a way to shut her down, and do it ruthlessly. So what does that have to do with Shadowun?

The DM keeps the government's and certain organizatons in our campaign on the same level as the Megacorps of Shadowrun. Try and screw with them directly, and you'll be making a new character sheet. Period. Not many D&D PLayers are fond of this, and most DM's don't want to deal with the bitching. Hell, I remember one player telling me that he had "Never heard of a game where players are allowed to kill each other.", beacuse his DM ran his D&D game in a little no-brain, happy land setting. I perfer my D&D to be much more gritty, which is difficult beacuse of the fact that the game has been turned into a high fantasy power trip, instead of a more realistic game, which is what Gary Gaygax wanted in the first place.

Read some of his old modules sometime. Gary kept the lethality in his advenures high, beacuse he belived that adventures were a minority who put their lives on the line every day, doing what normal people would never approach. (Sound familiar? biggrin.gif ) And bringing your character back to life was much more expensive/dangeorus. Every time somene cast a life restoring spell, you had to make a system shock check, and if you failed THAT your character was dead forever.

But now that Wizards of the Coast has the lisence, I am watching them single handedly wreck the game I've come to love. Which is why I love WizKids for keeping Shadowrun the way it is. IE, The game I came to become obsessed with after picking up the 2nd Edition Handbook at my local gaming shop....

Ok, done with that. Sorry to go off on a rant like that, I just had to get my two cents out there.
Austere Emancipator
Actually, if you have problems with the Forgotten Realms setting that cannot be solved with a simple addition of Common Sense, I would like to hear them. Like I said, I'm porting FR to SR, and now that the big stuff is done with it's mainly troubleshooting. The first thing I shot was Elminster. Repeatedly, in the head.

There is a built-in power level difference in SR and d20, though. A 20th level guy can slay hundreds of thousands of 1st level guys in straight combat, a single high-level adventurer can destroy massive armies without breaking a sweat. In SR, attacking an army straight on will get you killed, even if you're Harlequin. For everything you've ever wanted to know about d20 vs SR, read this thread.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Dax @ Apr 22 2004, 07:23 PM)
Read some of his old modules sometime. Gary kept the lethality in his advenures high, beacuse he belived that adventures were a minority who put their lives on the line every day, doing what normal people would never approach. (Sound familiar?  biggrin.gif  )  And bringing your character back to life was much more expensive/dangeorus. Every time somene cast a life restoring spell, you had to make a system shock check, and if you failed THAT your character was dead forever.

Ever wondered why 1st edition D&D character creation is so simple? Roll a bunch of dice, write down some numbers, make a few basic decisions and you're done. The reason is because you were expected to be going through characters like tissues. Character development is something you do at about level 10, once you're sure the character's goiing to be around for a while.

~J
Dax
Actually, if you have problems with the Forgotten Realms setting that cannot be solved with a simple addition of Common Sense, I would like to hear them. Like I said, I'm porting FR to SR, and now that the big stuff is done with it's mainly troubleshooting. The first thing I shot was Elminster. Repeatedly, in the head.

There is a built-in power level difference in SR and d20, though. A 20th level guy can slay hundreds of thousands of 1st level guys in straight combat, a single high-level adventurer can destroy massive armies without breaking a sweat. In SR, attacking an army straight on will get you killed, even if you're Harlequin. For everything you've ever wanted to know about d20 vs SR, read this thread.

Yes. The first thing you gotta do is frag Elminster. I always did perfer Mordinkanien and his Circle of Eight over Elminster and the Symbol any day of the week.

One thing that always did strike me about the Realms is that I really have to wonder how evil gets anything DONE. Except the Drow and a few other minor exceptions, good seems to have almost total control of the planet. Compared the Greyhawk where the majority of the countries are neutral, with a major evil empire threatening the few good countries that are still around. The Realms also seems to have an over abundance of "freak characters" the half-drow/drider/dryad/deep dragon-fuck you up character with an ECL of 27 or what have you. Seems like everytime someone tells me about a character of theirs that is like that, its based in the Realms.

Not to mention, Greyhawk is what D&D was intended to be. Most of the classic adventures were written for that setting, and Gygax could have probably kept writing material for the thing to keep us going up until 2011.

And also keep in mind that when I talk D&D, I'm not really talking about D20. I never was a huge fan of the system and I perfered the game back when it was still 2nd Edition. I think the game just worked better back then. D20 is....well....ok...but I hadly consider if the "do all end all" rule set that everyone seems to think it is these days. Kage hit it squarely on the nose I belive.

Though what exactly do you mean by porting FR to SR? I did a cross over adventure once where the Insect Spritis found Greyhawk and tried to pull a Universal Brotherhood before the PC's smashed em. You mean something like that?
Arethusa
Actually, I got the impression that he was porting the world to Shadowrun rules, which may not do wonderfully for melee, but certainly have fewer problems than d20.
Austere Emancipator
Another thing that I immediately forgot about was any reference to "Good" and "Evil". I rather think of them as "The guys who wrote the Campaign Setting Book" and "The guys who the authors of the Campaign Setting Book don't like".

Overall amount of superguys is reduced by a lot, and they're mostly political animals instead of "adventurers". The superguys don't really matter, either, since with SR-like rules a company of well-trained and organized infantry can still fuck up even the Biggest and the Baddest. Except mages, in which case you need the company and a few back-up mages.

As for porting, I mean this. And a bit of this. It has gone a long way since those threads, although it's still far from done.
Dax
Didn't Earthdawn run on the Shadowrun style system?
Mana Child
QUOTE (Dax)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 22 2004, 07:36 PM)

Yes. The first thing you gotta do is frag Elminster. I always did perfer Mordinkanien and his Circle of Eight over Elminster and the Symbol any day of the week.

One thing that always did strike me about the Realms is that I really have to wonder how evil gets anything DONE. Except the Drow and a few other minor exceptions, good seems to have almost total control of the planet. Compared the Greyhawk where the majority of the countries are neutral, with a major evil empire threatening the few good countries that are still around. The Realms also seems to have an over abundance of "freak characters" the half-drow/drider/dryad/deep dragon-fuck you up character with an ECL of 27 or what have you. Seems like everytime someone tells me about a character of theirs that is like that, its based in the Realms.

Not to mention, Greyhawk is what D&D was intended to be. Most of the classic adventures were written for that setting, and Gygax could have probably kept writing material for the thing to keep us going up until 2011.

And also keep in mind that when I talk D&D, I'm not really talking about D20. I never was a huge fan of the system and I perfered the game back when it was still 2nd Edition. I think the game just worked better back then. D20 is....well....ok...but I hadly consider if the "do all end all" rule set that everyone seems to think it is these days. Kage hit it squarely on the nose I belive.

Though what exactly do you mean by porting FR to SR? I did a cross over adventure once where the Insect Spritis found Greyhawk and tried to pull a Universal Brotherhood before the PC's smashed em. You mean something like that?

World of Greyhawk is a really really good setting though.
Austere Emancipator
Similar to Shadowrun, but not enough for me. Also, I really don't like the setting of Earthdawn. Not one bit.
Dax
Similar to Shadowrun, but not enough for me. Also, I really don't like the setting of Earthdawn. Not one bit.

Really? Well, I suppose I can't really comment on that since I never read that much of it.

Ancient History got anything to say about it?
Austere Emancipator
There really isn't anything anyone can say about the Earthdawn system/setting that would make me like it any better. Plus I'm starting to get rather proud of my Forgotten Realms v1.1, Logic Inside. It's amazing how much better the setting immediately gets when you consider the FR books to be published by people sympathetic to the Lord's Alliance. Then you get to the really good stuff, like how there isn't decent arable land in the Moonsea area, etc.
Jason Farlander
It's amazing how much better the setting immediately gets when you consider the FR books to be published by people sympathetic to the Lord's Alliance. Then you get to the really good stuff, like how there isn't decent arable land in the Moonsea area, etc.

Wow. Just... wow.
Austere Emancipator
Wow as in Damn you're pathetic or wow as in You might be on to something?
Herald of Verjigorm

Can't it be both?
Austere Emancipator
Possibly. But I can't see how you could deduce them both from that message.
Thistledown
I believe Krynn/Dragonlance is usually agreed to be the worse campaign setting between people who're familiar with both.

Hey, I like Krynn! A bit lower-level than the Forgotten Realms stuff. Although I haven't done a great deal of gaming in either, I'd much prefer the Dragonlance setting for plot and story. Forgotten Realms has a munchkiny feal to it if you ask me. Too many things with way too much power going around.

And anytime I reference Dragonlance, I am not talking about anything dealing with 5th age or the Saga rules system. Those are indeed crap.

I've actually been very active in the online dragonlance world for many years. They've got a few roleplay forums out there, the one I've been using is:

the RPG consortium

If you search enough, you'll find the scientist and other NPC that Rokangus and I talked about on some other threads here.

My favorate setting would be Pern, actually, but that doesn't lend itself to gaming as much. Have made a rigger who's family for 3 generations was so obsesed with it that they made a flying mechanical riding dragon though.
Jason Farlander

Neither actually... I was impressed by your nerdosity, thats all. Note that I laughed for a good while after I read your example of a Shadowrun dungeon crawl.
Austere Emancipator
I don't get why adding reasonable politics to FR is nerdy. I'm not the least bit insulted by being called a nerd, I know I'm a nerd. Or something.

And now back to your regular programming.
Kakkaraun
"i'll ignore that cuase you obviosly dont know what yoru talking about."

I'll ignore that 'cause you obviously...et cetera. Well, I've seen people with English skills worse than that...on the WotC board.

"Which makes it near-impossible to shut the network down."

Which is a good thing, IMO, at least as far as the music industry goes...not for gaming, though, unless it's WotC...they really don't need any more profits smile.gif.

"Actually, if you have problems with the Forgotten Realms setting that cannot be solved with a simple addition of Common Sense,"

No problems with the setting...just throw the /rules/ out the window smile.gif.

Oh, and SR dungeon crawls...bugs. Hives are yummy smile.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012