Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sneaky Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
yesferatu
So I'm building an infiltration face and I need to get some gear.
I'm probably just going to go with the close combat group for close quiet close encounters.
I need a gun modded for sneakyness - probably non-lethal.

I was just going to combine the Covert-Ops and Face concepts, although I know they could each use some work.

Any suggestions?
_Pax._
One option is simply a Defiance EX Shocker. Useful both at range and in melee. Throw on a Lanyard, a Personalised Grip, and a Flashlight in a suitabel wavelength (all Modifications, per Arsenal rules), and you've got a pretty useful, versatile tool.

Another option is a Morrisey Elan, with the following modifications:
  • Silencer
  • Laser Sight
  • Electronic Firing
  • Barrel Reduction

This is about as concealable and undetectible as a gun can get; add a concealable holster, and wear a Long Coat; your Conceal jumps to -8 ...!! And don't forget, it comes with level 3 Ceramic/Plastic Components for free ... so it's immune to MAD detection. The firing and silencer combine for a -7 to detect it going off, too.

Load it with Gel, SnS, or appropriately-filled Capsule rounds, and you've got a very VERY concealable, subtle, and nonlethal holdout.

If you want something heavier than a holdout, and you've more money than sense (and are willing to burn BP/Karma on the "Restricted Gear" quality) you could go with a PSK-3 Puzzler heavy pistol, with:
  • Silencer
  • Laser Sight
  • Electronic Firing
  • Ceramic/Plasteel Components R3

That sucker will set you back a pretty steep 17,600¥ before ammunition, though. But even a determiend pat-down probably won't turn it up ... at least, not as a GUN. smile.gif
yesferatu
You'd go with that over a Cavalier Scout with level 1 ceramic parts?

Where does it list the Elan as level 3 plasteel components?
Level 3 is like 18F - I don't think the base gun has level 3 at that cost.
_Pax._
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 14 2013, 06:48 PM) *
You'd go with that over a Cavalier Scout with level 1 ceramic parts?

You'll note I expanded upon my post, after just blurting out the first thoughts to spring to mind.

The Morrisey Elan has level THREE ceramic parts. It's completely invisible to a MAD, period. The MAD doesn't even get to roll dice.

Either the Elan or the PSK-3 are far superior choices to the Scout, especially modified as I've outlined above. Both will be preternaturally silent (-7 to perception rolls to detect them being fired), both are completely invisible to MAD scanners. The Elan wil be extremely conealable; the PSK-3 doesn't look like a gun at all when folded.

The PSK-3, however, is much more expensive, AND requires a special Quality. And loaded with SnS, does neither more nor less damage than the Elan does, using the same SnS ammo.

Oh, and the Defiance EX? 8S(e) is nothing to turn your nose up at. Especially since it's inherently alsoa melee weapon, doing the same 8S(e). And if you ARE found with it, you're less likely to get into lots of trouble as a result.
yesferatu
I just saw that.
That pretty much answers that.
Shame about the teeny tiny clip.
_Pax._
5c isn't much worse than 7c. And at the Light/Holdout level, well, "if you need to reload, the pooch has already been thoroughly screwed". Heh.
FuelDrop
Morrisey Elan with easy breakdown and silencer. if you want a gun that absolutely, positively WILL NOT BE FOUND, this is it. you will need to spend three initiative passes reassembling it before actually using it, but that's a small price to pay for a gun that can go anywhere.
Ammo is going to be an issue, chem sniffers ect don'tchaknow? there are some tricks to get past that but I'll leave those to the mirror-shaded black-trenchcoated brigade to explain, as they'll do it better than I ever could.
_Pax._
Vacuum Sealer handles chemsniffers. Hi-C plastic rounds, if you don't mind lethal, handles he ammo being picked up by a MAD.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 09:42 AM) *
Vacuum Sealer handles chemsniffers. Hi-C plastic rounds, if you don't mind lethal, handles he ammo being picked up by a MAD.

Presumably Gel rounds are also MAD-proof, if you prefer a less lethal option. I can't remember what the trick for smuggling ammo past a cyberware scanner is, though.
Modular Man
What is the goal here? To always have a gun on you, regardless of control posts and sensors? Or can weapon checks by security personnel be avoided another way?

Another idea for some cases:
If you are already going for low magazine size and a vacuum sealing, you may want to use capsule rounds filled with lethal and less-than-lethal poisons. An ammo skip system might come in handy there, and maybe ask your GM for something similar to a brass catcher - those usually catch shells of depleted ammunition, might as well catch still viable capsule rounds. I have acquired a (not literal) taste for poisons, my GM will not see it coming nyahnyah.gif They get expensive, though.
Licenses for about anything are also a way to go.

If you apply the cost multiplicators of full ceramic weapons to all additional modifications as the rules suggest the above-mentioned Morrissey Elan might get expensive quickly (I don't see why this should not be the case for this weapon). The base gun is very cheap for its abilities, but modding it, well...
There's also the option to create a gun that can be taken apart and there's even an already described model.

I personally like the (ceramic) light or pistol crossbow. Decent reach, silent, some kind of ammo selection (not much capacity for a firefight, though) and if you make it also collapsible (expensive in combination with rank 3 ceramics), it becomes harder to recognize than gun parts. There's also almost no chemical traces (unless you use poisoned or injection bolts, which are very useful in their own way). Granted, a projectile weapon is a unlikely weapon to have and also packs less punch than a gun - just wanted to give an alternative.

Did you consider implanted weaponry? Used alphaware cyberguns are not that easily detected by cyberscanners and a face can handwave a lot of questions about that particular metallic implant in his or her arm.

The fully legal Defiance EX Shocker mentioned above is also very useful.

You could also disguise a (cheap) pistol as a taser, using the Disguised Equipment rules in "Arsenal".
_Pax._
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 14 2013, 08:52 PM) *
Presumably Gel rounds are also MAD-proof, if you prefer a less lethal option.

Good point. Heremtically-sealed Gel and Capsule rounds should be pretty detector-proof.

I can't remember what the trick for smuggling ammo past a cyberware scanner is, though.

... don't even get em started on how ineffectual those scanners should be in real life, due to pesky little thins like "laws of physics" and the like, which don't change with the advance of technology.
CanRay
Fists. Completely legal, and if you surprise someone with a completely innocent look until your bioware-augmented body snaps their neck they'll be really surprised!
FuelDrop
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 15 2013, 12:06 PM) *
Fists. Completely legal, and if you surprise someone with a completely innocent look until your bioware-augmented body snaps their neck they'll be really surprised!

I thought you needed a licence to carry a pair of fists? nyahnyah.gif
Anyway, while the fists are legal the bone augs you need to make them deadly aren't.
_Pax._
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 14 2013, 11:10 PM) *
I thought you needed a licence to carry a pair of fists? nyahnyah.gif
Anyway, while the fists are legal the bone augs you need to make them deadly aren't.

... and Plastic, Ceramic, or Kevlar are so easy to detect ...
FuelDrop
My sarcasm senses are tingling...

IIRC Kevlar doesn't boost your unarmed damage, but the other two are perfectly valid. Personally I'd go for bone density augmentation, as it's not only as effective as Titanium bone lacing (potentially) but is also only restricted.
_Pax._
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jan 15 2013, 12:10 AM) *
IIRC Kevlar doesn't boost your unarmed damage, [...]

Huh, so they don't. O_o

[...] but the other two are perfectly valid. Personally I'd go for bone density augmentation, as it's not only as effective as Titanium bone lacing (potentially) but is also only restricted.

Bone Density is also expensive.

As for R or F status; honestly I don't understand why Plastic is F. It should be R ... because I can easily see it being used for reconstructive purposes on people with a sufficiently-large number of broken bones, either all at once, or cumulatively over time. smile.gif *shrug*
CanRay
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 01:19 AM) *
As for R or F status; honestly I don't understand why Plastic is F. It should be R ... because I can easily see it being used for reconstructive purposes on people with a sufficiently-large number of broken bones, either all at once, or cumulatively over time. smile.gif *shrug*
Probably for the same reason they tried to legislate Glocks as they "were made of plastic and ceramics, and thus couldn't be found with Metal Detectors." Plastic Bone Lacing won't set off a low-level MAD, possibly not even a high-end one.

That said, yeah... A bit of background work and the right Fake SIN/License, and: "Sir, do you realize you have Bone Lacing?" "Yes, I'm painfully aware of it. Car accident. License and details are in my SIN." "So they are, sir, sorry to have inconvenienced you. I hope your recovery was swift."
_Pax._
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 15 2013, 12:41 AM) *
Probably for the same reason they tried to legislate Glocks as they "were made of plastic and ceramics, and thus couldn't be found with Metal Detectors." Plastic Bone Lacing won't set off a low-level MAD, possibly not even a high-end one.

Plstic Bone LAcing won't set off ANY kind od MAD (which stands for "Magnetic Anomaly Detector"). Physics, CanRay, trump pretty much everything. smile.gif

That said, yeah... A bit of background work and the right Fake SIN/License, and: "Sir, do you realize you have Bone Lacing?" "Yes, I'm painfully aware of it. Car accident. License and details are in my SIN." "So they are, sir, sorry to have inconvenienced you. I hope your recovery was swift."

^_^
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 04:40 AM) *
Good point. Heremtically-sealed Gel and Capsule rounds should be pretty detector-proof.

Nope, the chemsniffer has to beat a threshold 3 test, instead of 2. And it gets a DP bonus for every 10 rounds of ammo (SR4A, p.262). Only Nano-cleansers (RC, p.35) completely defeat a chemsniffer (700nY per dose, 1 dose cleans max. 1m²). Cyberware scanners find it at threshold 2 though ... and they are dirt cheap and portable (except when i am the GM, because it screws non-awakened pretty hard)

The only RAW trick to stop cyberware-scanners is to spoof/hack the scanner.
Tias
my in-laws husband made a character for a new game yesterday the nearly brought a tear to my eye. Why? He used "Restricted Gear" to buy a monofilament garrotte! Probably the least powermongering way to use that quality ever.

Idea's sound, though. It'll cut through the entire neck before your target has time to register they're being grappled.

Other and non-lethal ideas abound, though. If sound is not an issue, load up on tazers and wear shock gloves - a bit of unarmed here and a solid tazer skill there, you should have people down. Gel rounds are less reliable, but work at range. I'd say the chance of your targets running to tell mother corp what's going on is unacceptable.

It can be a bit hard to get a solid capsule blend at character start up, but if you start out with good contacts, consider DMSO capsule rounds with Narcoject, Neuro-Stun or perhaps some mean blend of lael and knock-out drugs.

Depending on where your group stands on stick'n'shock, SMGs and up with electrical goodness is effective!
Manunancy
QUOTE (Tias @ Jan 15 2013, 11:43 AM) *
my in-laws husband made a character for a new game yesterday the nearly brought a tear to my eye. Why? He used "Restricted Gear" to buy a monofilament garrotte! Probably the least powermongering way to use that quality ever.

Idea's sound, though. It'll cut through the entire neck before your target has time to register they're being grappled.

Even if the kill is silent, it will leave beind a lot of blood on the scenery, possibly even the ceiling and probably on the wielder too. I's strongly recommend some sort of nanocleaners or the like to deal with resulting bloody mess.
StealthSigma
Weapon modifications say they can be applied to all types of weapons. That should include cyberweapons.

Cyber-implanted weapon with level three plasteel and ceramic components. That fools MAD detectors.

For optimal stealthiness, embed the cyberweapon in a cyberlimb rather than your flesh and blood in order to potentially fool a cyberware scanner.
NiL_FisK_Urd
If you put it into a cyberlimb, you do not need the "MAD-Immune" stuff - bc. the cyberlimb will "beep" under a MAD scanner.
nezumi
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 01:17 AM) *
Plstic Bone LAcing won't set off ANY kind od MAD (which stands for "Magnetic Anomaly Detector"). Physics, CanRay, trump pretty much everything. smile.gif

Assuming the lacing is wholly plastic, without any sort of metal pins or buttresses. And assuming future MADs haven't been upgraded to detect alterations to human magnetic signatures, which would indicate circulatory anomalies and such.
yesferatu
I figured I'd specialize in silent, single-target extractions and sneaking into places.
Keep in mind, this is a new character - so there's a bit of a learning curve.
I won't have the body/strength to support unarmed combat, but I can quick draw and drop most corp targets- anywhere.
Poisons are a decent way to go. Nothing beats drugging drinks and injections.

I still need to research more corp infiltrators to see what people are using.
Thanks for the ideas so far.
Lionhearted
With the pitiful damage a holdout does you're better off with a fingertip compartment monowhip.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 15 2013, 12:38 PM) *
With the pitiful damage a holdout does you're better off with a fingertip compartment monowhip.

SnS does 6S(e) regardless of what fires it. I don't like that fact, but, there it is nonetheless.

Also, a capsule round delivers one dose of whatever drug/cocktail you put into it, also regardless of what fires it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 10:39 AM) *
SnS does 6S(e) regardless of what fires it. I don't like that fact, but, there it is nonetheless.

Also, a capsule round delivers one dose of whatever drug/cocktail you put into it, also regardless of what fires it.

Except for Oxygenated Flouracarbons, which would be ridiculous (5L will not fit in a capsule, at least not one that you want to be shot with). smile.gif
_Pax._
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 15 2013, 12:41 PM) *
Except for Oxygenated Flouracarbons, which would be ridiculous (5L will not fit in a capsule, at least not one that you want to be shot with). smile.gif

.... Assault Cannon sized Capsule rounds, anyone? LOL!
yesferatu
5 rounds of Narcojet or Gamma Scopalomine should just about do the trick of the SnS doesn't.

I gotta say though, I am a little annoyed at the universality and badassery of Stick n' Shock.
I'll exploit the hell out of it, but it bypasses an awful lot of gun rules.

***Quick question on gel capsule rounds***
Do you need to penetrate the target's armor for them to work?
Do they need to inflict at least 1 point of damage to "inject" their toxin?
Is their damage basically negligible?
Can you use both contact and injection toxins in them?
CanRay
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 15 2013, 02:17 AM) *
Physics, CanRay, trump pretty much everything. smile.gif
I failed physics.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jan 15 2013, 10:54 AM) *
5 rounds of Narcojet or Gamma Scopalomine should just about do the trick of the SnS doesn't.

I gotta say though, I am a little annoyed at the universality and badassery of Stick n' Shock.
I'll exploit the hell out of it, but it bypasses an awful lot of gun rules.

***Quick question on gel capsule rounds***
Do you need to penetrate the target's armor for them to work?
Do they need to inflict at least 1 point of damage to "inject" their toxin?
Is their damage basically negligible?
Can you use both contact and injection toxins in them?

I don't know, I hardly ever use SnS Rounds, except against Spirits, and not always then. *shrug*

We have always ruled (on capsule rounds) that you needed to sustain at least 1 box of actual damage (Stun is fine) for the round to work. *shrug*
The round inflicts Stun Damage by default, and is quite capable of dealing a LOT of stun damage as I often experience.
You need a DMSO + Any Vector Toxin (or a Contact Toxin) to deliver the toxin from a Capsue round, since they do not actually penetrate (Stun damage).
Tias
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jan 15 2013, 12:51 PM) *
Even if the kill is silent, it will leave beind a lot of blood on the scenery, possibly even the ceiling and probably on the wielder too. I's strongly recommend some sort of nanocleaners or the like to deal with resulting bloody mess.

It probably bears mention that his character is made for a one-shot that takes place in Sarajevo and the surrounding patchwork of low-tech, war-torn micronations - where such considerations weigh less than the need for speed wink.gif
ZeroPoint
Defiance Infiltrator
Base weapon: Defiance T-250 / Short barrel version
Mods: Powered folding stock (ruled this as replacing the built in stock so when folded down reduces concealabilty by one removes point of RC)
Barrel reduction (since it is a short barrel version which uses heavy pistol ranges, it doesn't actually already have barrel reduction mod so this can still apply)
easy breakdown
personalized grip
smartgun system
Sling
Ceramic/Plasteel components lvl3

Total Cost: 11,585

While being extremely expensive, you can get this gun just about anywhere. It easily breaks down into several component parts that are unrecognizable as any sort of weapon. And none of those parts are detectable by MAD scanners. On top of that, once you have it re-assembled, with stock retracted it has a concealabilty mod of 0. And all that cash will be worth it when you see the look on the face of a security guard when you put a SHOTGUN in his face AFTER going through a security checkpoint.

Add in a barrel accessory silencer for good measure.
ZeroPoint
Throwing knives with Ceramic/plastic mod.

If you have a good throwing skill and high strength, these can be fun at just nuyen.gif 120 per knife

I'm also a fan of the Morissey Elan though. It works great, and if you have a high enough dice pool and can pick your engagement to make sure they don't have a chance to defend, even subsonic rounds can kill someone in one shot if your lucky.

4P + 4P from called shot, + 2~5 from net hits...if they are still alive, thats what the double tap is for. If not, move to the next target. I've dropped 3 guys in a pass with dual-wielded morissey elans with standard ammo before...

I think i burnt a point of edge but still, 2 net hits more than makes up for the difference between a hold out and a heavy pistol in damage. Getting the drop on an enemy so they can't defend at all also makes up for it by itself.
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jan 16 2013, 06:20 PM) *
Defiance Infiltrator
Base weapon: Defiance T-250 / Short barrel version
Mods: Powered folding stock (ruled this as replacing the built in stock so when folded down reduces concealabilty by one removes point of RC)
Barrel reduction (since it is a short barrel version which uses heavy pistol ranges, it doesn't actually already have barrel reduction mod so this can still apply)
easy breakdown
personalized grip
smartgun system
Sling
Ceramic/Plasteel components lvl3

Total Cost: 11,585

While being extremely expensive, you can get this gun just about anywhere. It easily breaks down into several component parts that are unrecognizable as any sort of weapon. And none of those parts are detectable by MAD scanners. On top of that, once you have it re-assembled, with stock retracted it has a concealabilty mod of 0. And all that cash will be worth it when you see the look on the face of a security guard when you put a SHOTGUN in his face AFTER going through a security checkpoint.

Add in a barrel accessory silencer for good measure.

Yeah, you built an extremely expensive shotgun with heavy pistol ranges and heavy pistol damage here.
Why dont you just use a WW Infiltrator? Marginally greater range, same damage code, MAD immune (as it uses the same rules as the SA Puzzler), triple the ammo and 2200nY with built in Smartgun and having the same conceilability mod (+0) while assembled. 2700nY with built-in silencer and personalized grip, and still 2 mod slots free.

Both weapons are found by every chemsniffer of a decent rating (unless you use nano-cleansers).
NiL_FisK_Urd
Also, i dont know what the fuss about MAD scanners is. It only detects metal, and everyone should have some metal stuff inside. A Rating 6 Cyberware Scanner costs 450nY, has an availability of 4R, works from triple the range and is better at finding stuff.
_Pax._
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 16 2013, 02:26 PM) *
Also, i dont know what the fuss about MAD scanners is. It only detects metal, and everyone should have some metal stuff inside. A Rating 6 Cyberware Scanner costs 450nY, has an availability of 4R, works from triple the range and is better at finding stuff.

... and defies the laws of physics.

IRL, millimeter-wave scanners do not penetrate the skin. They don't have the energy to do so ... and if they did, they would cause burns and extreme discomfort (read: pain), plus cumulatively cause rampant skin cancers.

No technology that doesn't change the nature of the energy used, is going to "fix" that, either.

So all they could do, is detect surface-accessible things. And not even all of those, necessarily, either; those scanners are really not that difficult to fool.

Add tot hat, the fact that they make any effort to ever conceal anything, from anyone, completely pointless. A major component of the setting (concealed tools/augments/etc) trivialised by a cheap, readily available, hand-held device?

Bah!!

Hence why, in my games at least? There's no such animal.
NiL_FisK_Urd
I know, but magic also defies the laws of physics. That does not change that fact that these things are RAW. For secure installations, you could also replace it with a long-term bound R6 Spirit of man w/ detect weapon and compel truth, which screws mundanes even more, because it cannot be hacked.

I changed them to avail Rating*4R, cost = Rating*Rating*500, Range: Walk-through and UWB-Radar only functions with half of its rating (round down) as a cyberware scanner.
_Pax._
Cyberware scanners are not magic. If they purport to be technology, they have to not thumb their noses at physics.

I do like the idea of walk-through setups - like the nifty thing from the old Total Recall, for example.

But handheld, "haha fuck you I detect everything" scanners, to which there is ZERO counter-measure? That breaks the setting and genre.
NiL_FisK_Urd
If you apply common sense to shadowrun, everything falls down. Try making a sudden stop with a vehicle in a back alley as a REA3 skill1 person - or worse, with a stock car.
_Pax._
Yeah? Try doing it IRL, too.

And while I'm willing to make allowances that go with the story and genre ... I'm less willing to make allowances that actively work against it.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 15 2013, 10:31 AM) *
I failed physics.

So did a lot of the writers. grinbig.gif

I couldn't resist.

And since someone already mentioned it - fingertip compartment with monofilament whip (My shoelace is monofilament, you don't see me lopping off heads with it). Messy? Sure, but you can't argue effectiveness and you could realistically use it to garrote someone as well.
Lionhearted
Never seen the point of the mono garrote, why try and strangle someone with it when you could just run it through the throat?
or even better... get a monowhip and do it with reach.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 16 2013, 04:33 PM) *
Never seen the point of the mono garrote, why try and strangle someone with it when you could just run it through the throat?

That's exactly what you do with it.

Lionhearted
QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Jan 16 2013, 10:39 PM) *
That's exactly what you do with it.

Mono garrote 18F reach 0, cannot be used outside of surprise.

Monowhip 12F reach 2, can very easily be used both to surprise and fight.
ZeroPoint
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 16 2013, 02:21 PM) *
Yeah, you built an extremely expensive shotgun with heavy pistol ranges and heavy pistol damage here.
Why dont you just use a WW Infiltrator? Marginally greater range, same damage code, MAD immune (as it uses the same rules as the SA Puzzler), triple the ammo and 2200nY with built in Smartgun and having the same conceilability mod (+0) while assembled. 2700nY with built-in silencer and personalized grip, and still 2 mod slots free.

Both weapons are found by every chemsniffer of a decent rating (unless you use nano-cleansers).

That uses the longarms skill, can use shotgun only ammunition, and its still a shotgun...

I would not actually recommend using this for most characters. But if for example you wanted to play a character who focused on using shotguns, this would let you take a shotgun where you normally couldn't.

ZeroPoint
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 16 2013, 02:35 PM) *
... and defies the laws of physics.

IRL, millimeter-wave scanners do not penetrate the skin. They don't have the energy to do so ... and if they did, they would cause burns and extreme discomfort (read: pain), plus cumulatively cause rampant skin cancers.

No technology that doesn't change the nature of the energy used, is going to "fix" that, either.

So all they could do, is detect surface-accessible things. And not even all of those, necessarily, either; those scanners are really not that difficult to fool.

Add tot hat, the fact that they make any effort to ever conceal anything, from anyone, completely pointless. A major component of the setting (concealed tools/augments/etc) trivialised by a cheap, readily available, hand-held device?

Bah!!

Hence why, in my games at least? There's no such animal.

Millimeter waves penetrate several millimeters below the skin's surface and are more easily blocked by water and metal (anything conductive really) and actually passes through wood, masonry, plastics, and ceramics (non-conductive materials) much more easily. While the depth wouldn't be enough to detect some cyberware, its more than enough to detect that someone would have cybereyes/ears, cyberlimbs, and possibly bone lacing but anything beyond that the body's water content would effectively block it. But ceramic and plastic weapons wouldn't be detected any easier (theoretically) with millimeter waves than a MAD scanner would.

Rador Sensor headware on the other hand, works as a combination of millimeterwaves and UWB radar, operating the two simultaneously to create a composite image I imagine. That would be woefully complex since the two would be returning such disparate information, but I could see how something like that MIGHT detect a weapon or deeply implanted cyberware...but i don't see it being too accurate and not very reliable. More likely to be able to tell you the general location of an object or implant, but not identify it.

In conclusion, I agree. This is something I've never really payed much attention to the fluff on how they work, and now that I've actually taken the time to look at these, there will probably be some changes in my game.
ZeroPoint
Also, has anyone actually looked at the rules for cyber scanners? the most dice a scanner can roll is 9, if you have 6+ items that you don't want it to detect on your person (including weapons and implants) If you are trying to sneak in a handgun, yeah your screwed. But you could get a Deltaware cyberspur (for 18k) and with a threshold of 4, as long as you don't have 6 of them, that scanner should never find it. If you want to go for broke and add the ceramic/plasteel components too then you can take it through metal detectors too. of course you will have to sell your soul

only way someone is finding it is if you pop it out.

or you could just tell anyone that you had a metal rod inserted after an accident if you don't feel like paying 108k for a cyberspur, and you can still walk through cyber scanners with impunity.

_Pax._
Zero ... I had an adept who would have problems with a Cyberware scanner.

Detectible augments: Cybereyes, Simsense booster, Datajack

Then add the milspec commlink in a skin pocket. And the yamaha pulsar taser. And, frankly, the somewhat-hard-to-explain Skinweb Array.

That's six things he doesn't want it advertised that he's got. (In fact, the commlink at least, usually stays inside his Skin Pocket bioware.) Poof, there's those 9 dice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012