Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed as a function of skill
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Arethusa
Personally, the reason I don't like either of these systems is the fact that the first two shots go off as normal, after which they start to suffer penalty. Aside from recoil, I don't think there should be a penalty that works like this, and it doesn't really fall in line with what it's really like to fire a weapon. Moreover, I'm a little worried that being able to take a couple more shots a -1 and -2 skill would be a bit too powerful in a combat situation. Then again, firing with a single skill die plus one cp, even on a range, against TN 12, or whatever, may be going too far in the opposite direction. Maybe pair this with a chart of recoil reduction based on skill?
Austere Emancipator
Additional shots on semi-auto has never been a power issue in our games. If you've got the Recoil Compensation to do that, it's often even better to go with Burst Fire or Full Auto. My rules do make autofire more lethal as well, which might balance that ought.

If in order to allow the system to handle more than 2 SA shots per Init Pass you have add not only specific (and rather complex) rules for the RoF on SA and all kinds of penalties that causes, as well as a skill-RC chart, I think it's going too far.

Plus I don't think it's a very good idea to allow skill to reduce recoil in any case -- it's almost as if the base skill could be used as Centering on itself.
Arethusa
It might be necessary to split up autofire into bursts to balance things out, though the fact that bursts don't chew through combat pool the same way does help.

The RoF rules don't come in any more so than they do with full auo; you're limited just as you would be with that, but you actually have to pay attention to it, unlike SA is currently. That's all. The rules seem fairly simple. I do agree, however; recoil compensation based on skill is potentially kind of silly. The problem I'm really seeing is that pistols don't have a recoil cap and should, and that would be enough to fix things (and allow you to punch 12 targets on a range in one turn as a mundane).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
The problem I'm really seeing is that pistols don't have a recoil cap and should

Some of us (*wink nudge hint*) think all weapons should have a recoil cap.
Arethusa
Hey, no need to convert me. I'm a fan of recoil caps based on weapon class. And, why, you just sound like you might have some suggestions there, and I certainly wouldn't mind hearing them.
Austere Emancipator
Not suggestions, just my house rules. smile.gif +4 + (Recoil Modifier x 3), +3 extra at Long/Extreme. Anything from pistols to MMGs are at +7 at Short/Med, +10 Long/Extreme. It was originally not intended to cap the recoil of SA-fire, but it could do that just fine by dropping the +4 -- +3 at Short/Med and +6 at Long/Extreme for most pistols.
Voran
The standard bunch of disclaimers before I start. I'm a civilian, my experiences firing guns was limited to .22 rifles back in JROTC well over 12-14 years ago, been to a gunshop _once_ with some friends that had a backroom firing range where you could rent pistols, buy ammo, and shoot at paper targets till ya ran outta money. So basically we can accept that I have no real practical knowledge.

I guess I have something of a difficult time seeing that increasing your weapon skill directly influences your speed. At least in terms of getting shots off. As for using the world record holders or clips of competition type shooting as examples.. I'm not sure that's the best evidence. A SR combat setting seems more dynamic than those clips or competitions can set up. If you train on shooting motionless plates or consistently moving plate/targets (like say the rifle games you see at fairs with the moving targets), with the plates in the same position/distance/whatever over and over again, I have no doubt you can reduce your completion time. Especially if you spends months if not years repeating the same course and sequence.

Seems like you'd have to do alot of overhauling of the entire combat system to make much more changes. Dunno what that would look like nyahnyah.gif
Arethusa
I'm not clear on what you mean by "+4 + (Recoil Modifier x 3), +3 extra at Long/Extreme?" Also, any reason other than sheer ease of use for not capping recoil at different levels for different classes of weapons?

[edit]

Well, you have more experience firing guns than I do. I've fired an air rifle a couple times and a couple of airsoft pistols, which really only gives you feel for shape and the general motions and stances of shooting, but it sure as hell doesn't count as real experience. The thing is, you've run into my point: a very fast shooter, taken from the range and put in combat, is going to realize very quickly that speed shooting (throwing, at best, two dice into every attack) is not going to do a hell of a lot for you. What I like about the system my friend and I came up with was its dynamic scalability; you could fire a terribly ineffective volley or you could pick your targets with slightly less precision than usual and still hit well, which is what a combat shooter is likely going to do. At least, as far as I can tell. People who've been in combat or even so much as fired a gun are free to correct me. As it stands, I like the system and feel it strikes a good balance between realism and playability, though it could possibly use with a little refinement.

As for overhauling the combat system, well, we all know how I feel about that.
Austere Emancipator
Well, I know exactly what that would look like... But I don't think you need to do major changes. Just a few lines of house rulings here and there. For example, I can't see how the rule "As a Complex Action, may fire a firearm in SA mode a number of times equal to 2 + (Skill/2, round down), maximum is 6." would have to be part of a major overhaul. I think that's part of my "lite" rules.

Having trained extensively with a weapon does allow you to do a whole bunch of things quicker and better. Those things include, but are certainly not limited to, getting the gun back on the target after having fired, swinging the gun to a new target, handling the recoil itself, etc. All those things do allow the shooter to fire accurate shots much faster in a short time frame.

The difference between competition shooting and an actual combat situation can be represented by the fact that a competition shooter might have Pistol/IPSC 5/7, or something like that.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm not clear on what you mean by "+4 + (Recoil Modifier x 3), +3 extra at Long/Extreme?" Also, any reason other than sheer ease of use for not capping recoil at different levels for different classes of weapons?

It starts at +4 for all weapons. Weapons with the standard Recoil Modifier of +1 (anything other than Heavy Weapons and Shotguns in canon SR) add +3 to that, weapons with a RecMod of +2 add +6, etc. And it actually works out so that the (Recoil Modified x 3) is added at Long/Extreme, not just +3.

Assault rifles, SMGs, LMGs, MMGs: +7, +10 at Long/Extreme
Battle Rifles, HMGs, Autoshotguns: +10, +16 at Long/Extreme

There is no differentiation based on weapon class, because the inclusion of the Recoil Modifier already does that. More specifically, it's because I do not really differentiate weapons based on any weapon class.

I've fired a 9mm pistol plenty of times, but not very rapidly. My personal experience is that I could not fire the Browning High-Power Mk2 accurately faster than about 2 shots in 3 seconds. However, I was at best at Pistol-2, so it works out. smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
(warning, the following has not been tested and may lead to disturbing levels of twink if enacted)

As a compromize, take the stacked spells rule as a base, and allow as many shots in a simple action as you have dice to split between the bullets. Things that don't normally have a skill test should either be restricted from this, or given a TN4+modifiers test with the same skill as the weapon normally uses.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 23 2004, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa)

It starts at +4 for all weapons. Weapons with the standard Recoil Modifier of +1 (anything other than Heavy Weapons and Shotguns in canon SR) add +3 to that, weapons with a RecMod of +2 add +6, etc. And it actually works out so that the (Recoil Modified x 3) is added at Long/Extreme, not just +3.

Assault rifles, SMGs, LMGs, MMGs: +7, +10 at Long/Extreme
Battle Rifles, HMGs, Autoshotguns: +10, +16 at Long/Extreme

There is no differentiation based on weapon class, because the inclusion of the Recoil Modifier already does that. More specifically, it's because I do not really differentiate weapons based on any weapon class.

I've fired a 9mm pistol plenty of times, but not very rapidly. My personal experience is that I could not fire the Browning High-Power Mk2 accurately faster than about 2 shots in 3 seconds. However, I was at best at Pistol-2, so it works out. smile.gif

While this seems simple enough, I really do like the idea of recoil caps being modified by weapon class. I'm not sure if this is realistic, however.

As a side note, assuming recoil caps were worked into the game, think vertical foregrips lowering max recoil by 1 or two and also lowering max actions allowed for aiming (by the same amount; probably 1 on both sides) would be accurate?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I really do like the idea of recoil caps being modified by weapon class.

I don't really see why. If the use of Recoil Modifier in the calculation already takes care of the differences between the recoil levels of different kinds of firearms, what other reasons for modifying the caps by class are there? Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying.

No comment on vertical foregrips, I've never used them. If I've got a comment, it'll have to wait a while.
Arethusa
Mainly because if I grab a Glock 18 and set it to full auto, I'll have more trouble controlling it than I would an MP5, despite being chambered for the same stuff.

Also, was about to suggest modifying recoil caps for SA fire as opposed to BF/FA, and then I realized I'd missed the part of your post suggesting just that. I am curious, though: do you think there would be any reason to differentiate caps between BF and FA.
Austere Emancipator
I didn't already mention it so: my recoil cap is reduced by Recoil Compensation, which takes care of most of what the Recoil Modifiers don't. A Glock 18 wouldn't have any Recoil Compensation, thus max recoil +7/+10, while an MP5 would probably have 2 points of RC (stock and maybe Internal RC) for +5/+8, and the +8 comes to play at far greater ranges.

BF vs FA, I don't really have any interest in modifying the recoil cap there. It could be done if one wants to justify the existence of BF weapons in some way.
Arethusa
I take it you don't apply recoil compensation as canon handles it, then (ie compensating for first few rounds, etc)?

As for BF v. FA, if you were to agree that there should be a delineation, how would you go about it? Is there any remotely realistic justification for this outside of an untrained soldier not being able to go crazy and switch to rock 'n' roll, Vietnam style?

[edit]

Good lord, I should go to sleep.
Austere Emancipator
I do, I do. Think of it like this: The maximum number of rounds considered for recoil is 7 -- a quirk of the numbers and can be changed, but it just happens to be so with mine. With a RecMod 1 weapon at Short/Med, each of those 7 rounds causes recoil like in canon, reducable by Recoil Compensation as normal. Beyond those 7, additional rounds do not cause any recoil.

With a RecMod 1 weapon at Long/Extreme, the first 3 rounds have doubled recoil, but the limit of 7 still stands. Same with a RecMod 2 weapon at Short/Med. With a RecMod 2 weapon at Long/Extreme, the first 3 rounds have tripled recoil.

Let's go with the MP5. Assume RC 2, and someone firing 10 rounds FA at a target 30 meters away (Med). I'll break it up into 3, 3, 4 because I think that should be canon. The recoil cap is at +5 (4 + 3 - 2).
The first 3-round burst has +1 recoil (+3 - RC2). The second 3-round burst has +4 recoil (+6 - RC2). The final 4-round burst has +5 recoil (+7 - RC2).
Now at 90 meters (Extreme):
First 3-round burst has +4 recoil (+6 - RC2). The second has +7 recoil (+9 - RC2). The final 4 has +8 (+10 - RC2).

Now a battle rifle at 100 meters, 10 rounds FA, RC 1, max +9/+12, broken into 3, 3, 4.
The first three has +5 (+6 - RC1), second 3 has +8 (+9 - RC1), last 4 has +9 (+10 - RC1).
At 500 meters the mods are +8, +11, +12.

Does that make any sense?

I don't know if and how much easier it is to control recoil with bursts than with full auto, never having fired a weapon with a burst limiter. If you wish for bursts to be more controllable than FA fire, you could reduce the starting recoil cap to +2 -- middle between 0 for SA fire and 4 for FA.

And don't start with sleeping. I had an appointment somewhere so I didn't take my nap. 1040hrs, and I'm running a game in 5 hours. Crap.
Bearclaw
Other game systems have a way to handle this.
In GURPS, everything has a Snap Shot number.
If you skill is below this number and you don't spend an action aiming, you get a big fat penalty. If your skill is above that number, no worries, you can snap shot to your hearts content.
Nothing wrong with applying the same theory to SR.

First draft of rule.
With a SA pistol, you get a +2 to your TN. This can be offset by aiming, as well as SGL and all the other goodies. So, your basic TN would be 6 not 4. If your skill is 3 or better, reduce the penalty by 1. If it is 5 or better remove it entirely.
This essentially makes the more skilled guys faster.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Other game systems have a way to handle this.
In GURPS, everything has a Snap Shot number.
If you skill is below this number and you don't spend an action aiming, you get a big fat penalty. If your skill is above that number, no worries, you can snap shot to your hearts content.
Nothing wrong with applying the same theory to SR.

I really don't like this. It does nothing to allow extremely skilled people to fire more than 2 or 4 times in 3 seconds, as they should be able to, and it just slows everyone else down. Worse, I really dislike having the penalty stay there until it magically disappears at skill 5.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I do, I do. Think of it like this: The maximum number of rounds considered for recoil is 7 -- a quirk of the numbers and can be changed, but it just happens to be so with mine. With a RecMod 1 weapon at Short/Med, each of those 7 rounds causes recoil like in canon, reducable by Recoil Compensation as normal. Beyond those 7, additional rounds do not cause any recoil.

With a RecMod 1 weapon at Long/Extreme, the first 3 rounds have doubled recoil, but the limit of 7 still stands. Same with a RecMod 2 weapon at Short/Med. With a RecMod 2 weapon at Long/Extreme, the first 3 rounds have tripled recoil.

Let's go with the MP5. Assume RC 2, and someone firing 10 rounds FA at a target 30 meters away (Med). I'll break it up into 3, 3, 4 because I think that should be canon. The recoil cap is at +5 (4 + 3 - 2).
The first 3-round burst has +1 recoil (+3 - RC2). The second 3-round burst has +4 recoil (+6 - RC2). The final 4-round burst has +5 recoil (+7 - RC2).
Now at 90 meters (Extreme):
First 3-round burst has +4 recoil (+6 - RC2). The second has +7 recoil (+9 - RC2). The final 4 has +8 (+10 - RC2).

Now a battle rifle at 100 meters, 10 rounds FA, RC 1, max +9/+12, broken into 3, 3, 4.
The first three has +5 (+6 - RC1), second 3 has +8 (+9 - RC1), last 4 has +9 (+10 - RC1).
At 500 meters the mods are +8, +11, +12.

Does that make any sense?

I'm not really clear on what you're doing at range, but it makes sense at 30m. I do like the fact that it opens up the possibility of weapon mods that lower cap instead of just providing comp. I'm not sure why you apply double recoil on the first burst, however.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I don't know if and how much easier it is to control recoil with bursts than with full auto, never having fired a weapon with a burst limiter. If you wish for bursts to be more controllable than FA fire, you could reduce the starting recoil cap to +2 -- middle between 0 for SA fire and 4 for FA.

I guess I'll have to wait for the take of someone who's fired one; mainly, given my lack of experience, I just don't want to create unnecessarily complicated mechanics with no basis in reality. As for +2, might be a bit light; +3'd probably be more blanced.
Bearclaw
Extremely skilled people cannot fire more rounds than other people. Any idiot can pull a trigger fast. Extremely skilled people can fire more ACCURATE rounds than other people. Which is what my rules modification simulates.
Arethusa
But under canon rules, no one can pull a trigger quickly, which is the problem. As a mundane, no matter your skill, you'll never able to fire faster than maybe 4 shots in 3 seconds. That was the problem.
A Clockwork Lime
I'd say pulling the trigger up to 8 times (Initiative 31) versus the 2 times an average person (Initiative 6) can in 3 seconds says otherwise "under canon rules."

The real problem with the system is the assumption that only characters with extreme magical or cybernetic augmentation can have really good reaction times in the game, at least to the point where it actually makes a difference. But the same problem is found in the vehicle rules and a few other places as well, so it's not exactly a niche bug found only in ranged combat.

Apply the Rule of 6 to all Initiative tests and a big part of the problem is whisked away. Maybe allowing an edge that only unaugmented characters can take (by modifying the Lightning Reflexes edge and changing the cost to about 4) so that they can add an extra die on a roll of 5 or 6 instead of just 6 makes it that much more "balanced."

In truth, I'd simply rehash the entire way augmented reflexes work. Wired Reflexes 1 would give +2 to Reaction and act like Lightning Reflexes for Initiative (adds another die only on a roll of 5 or 6). Wired 2 would be +4 and the same as Lightning Reflexes. Wired 3 would be +6 and another die on 4, 5, or 6. I'd then continue with that theme through the other types of augmentation.

In other words, *everyone* would have an Initiative of +1D6. Augmented reflexes and the Lightning Reflexes edge would only grant extra dice depending on the number that comes up. That makes Reaction more important (and thus allows natural ability and skill to play a bigger roll), and thus lowers the impact of random luck (tons of dice each and every Turn).
Bearclaw
Well, we could solve the whole problem by calling each round 1 second. The only thing that would effect is movement rates, right?

Of course, it would make the idea of centering by meditation in a combat environment even dumber than it already is, but that's a different story.
Herald of Verjigorm
I refer you to my earlier post. Splitting dice for extra shots.

(I was sure that was at the end of one of the pages...now to see if my posts per page number has changes since then)
Arethusa
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
I'd say pulling the trigger up to 8 times (Initiative 31) versus the 2 times an average person (Initiative 6) can in 3 seconds says otherwise "under canon rules."

Please note that throughout this entire thread, normal mundanes have been the focus. Hell, I went on to say it in the very next sentance.

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
The real problem with the system is the assumption that only characters with extreme magical or cybernetic augmentation can have really good reaction times in the game, at least to the point where it actually makes a difference. But the same problem is found in the vehicle rules and a few other places as well, so it's not exactly a niche bug found only in ranged combat.

Apply the Rule of 6 to all Initiative tests and a big part of the problem is whisked away. Maybe allowing an edge that only unaugmented characters can take (by modifying the Lightning Reflexes edge and changing the cost to about 4) so that they can add an extra die on a roll of 5 or 6 instead of just 6 makes it that much more "balanced."

In truth, I'd simply rehash the entire way augmented reflexes work. Wired Reflexes 1 would give +2 to Reaction and act like Lightning Reflexes for Initiative (adds another die only on a roll of 5 or 6). Wired 2 would be +4 and the same as Lightning Reflexes. Wired 3 would be +6 and another die on 4, 5, or 6. I'd then continue with that theme through the other types of augmentation.

In other words, *everyone* would have an Initiative of +1D6. Augmented reflexes and the Lightning Reflexes edge would only grant extra dice depending on the number that comes up. That makes Reaction more important (and thus allows natural ability and skill to play a bigger roll), and thus lowers the impact of random luck (tons of dice each and every Turn).

The problem with this is that the game is simply not set up to handle it, and, at that point, you're not adding small rules or even revising large set of rules; you're rewriting the entire core of the game. Not to mention that mundanes and cybered would be at that much more a disadvantage against magic.

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Well, we could solve the whole problem by calling each round 1 second. The only thing that would effect is movement rates, right?

Personally, I much preferred the weapon skill pool per action approach. Dropping it to 1 second would sort of be nice, but creates a lot of other problems.
A Clockwork Lime
<just sighs>

I know what you said, and I was pointing out that the problem wasn't with "skill" level, it was with how the system handled Reaction times. All the skill in the world doesn't improve your reaction time; that's the function of Reaction. So trying to cobble something into Skill when the problem is with Reaction is a foolish endeavor, and does way more to upset the system than a complete refurbishing of how initiative works throughout the system. It's already bad enough skills like Sorcery and Aura Reading don't work like the other skills. Coming up with bastardized rules to muck up yet another cluster of skills is just a really bad idea.

That said, I also have to say that I am ompletely baffled by what you were talking about regarding "...much more a disadvantage against magic," though. Especially since what I was talking about was a universal rule that would apply throughout the entire system, not just combat. Initiative is hardly a game-balancing issue in 3rd Edition anyway.

But yeah, changing just one aspect so that it affects everything identically (what I was trying to suggestion), as opposed to changing one little aspect so that it no longer meshes with the rest of the system (what you're trying to do) is a better way to go about it as far as I'm concerned. But... oh well.
Arethusa
I really have to disagree. While a very highly skilled shooter may have above average reaction times, that doesn't mean his shooting speed is completely dependant on that. Chances are his reactions really aren't on the level of, say, a street sam who can put out 8 shots with an average initiative of 36. Initiative in Shadowrun applies to everything that sam does, and at that point, things start to fall apart. I really can't agree with you that these rules are any more bastardized than anything else in Shadowrun, and while I certainly wouldn't use these if I were writing my own game, they work quite elegantly within canon.

All that aside, initiative is an exceedingly huge aspect of Shadowrun, and I can't imagine how you overlooked the fact that diminishing the effects of cyberware completely changes the dehumanizing aspects of the game, and, since speed is life for the cybered, completely weakens them across the board as well. With much weaker mundanes and cybered, you end up with an even greater power gap between awakened— who do not need crazy initiative nearly as much— and poor, lowly mundanes.

So, yes, I do think this is a better approach than rewriting every single thing in the game that deals with initiative and then making sure the power level is matched equally with magic. That's just not possible while still keeping the game true to the saner intents of SR.
Entropy Kid
All the skill in the world doesn't improve your reaction time; that's the function of Reaction. So trying to cobble something into Skill when the problem is with Reaction is a foolish endeavor....
Well, so far all I think Arethusa is doing is trying to increase shots, not actions, and using skill to limit the number available.
A Clockwork Lime
Increasing the number of shots = increasing the number of actions. If you're shooting more than one target per action, you're obviously performing more than one action.

This is just treating a symptom of the game mechanics, not the cause.

But oh well, to each their own. Can't ever talk sense with gunbunnies anyway. They're as bad as katanaphiles. smile.gif "A tiny handful of freaks of nature can shoot a gun eight times in one second, so naturally everyone should be totally blazing with a gun!" Oy.
Arethusa
No, Entropy is right; it's multiple shots per single action. I though I made that clear when I wrote up the rule back on page two, but just in case, this should close the issue. You still only get two single actions per complex action per phase, as usual.
A Clockwork Lime
Call it whatever the hell you like. But shooting more than once = more than one action. Note the lower case of the word "action" As opposed to Simple Action.
Entropy Kid
Call it whatever the hell you like. But shooting more than once = more than one action. Note the lower case of the word "action" As opposed to Simple Action.
Well, in melee combat one gets a chance to attack everyone in range using only one Complex Action (keeping track of capitals this time), so there is something this can be compared to. I know that melee combat is abstracted differently, but it's a similar situation: one Action, multiple "hits".

I agree with allowing more than one shot per Simple Action, but don't think more than one target can be fired at (sorta canon). Using a Complex Action would allow multiple targets, just like standard Full Auto rules. That's my take on it anyway. I'm curious how the number of "extra" shots would be determined and recoil factored in.
Phaeton
Mah rules. Yes, I know they break the balance of magic/non-magic. But SR has always had balance problems, imo...:

SS weapons that are NOT the NTW-20 or similar weapons that require a moment to rechamber on their own can be fired QCK/2 times per turn.

SA weapons can be fired QCK times per turn, as can BF weapons that don't use mechanisms like the Sav Guardians.

Cyber-SLed weapons can either fire FA or can be modified to do so. Cannon Companion states that cyber-SLed weapons already have a neural trigger. Therefore, under the logic of SA-times-per-turn, you should be able to fire really damn fast with a cyber-SLed weapon. At least as fast as the default handgun from 'Oni' for PS2/PC if ye have ever played it.

As for other skills besides combat skills...Not sure. I might work on something similar for melee combat.
Entropy Kid
Cyber-SLed weapons can either fire FA or can be modified to do so. Cannon Companion states that cyber-SLed weapons already have a neural trigger. Therefore, under the logic of SA-times-per-turn, you should be able to fire really damn fast with a cyber-SLed weapon. At least as fast as the default handgun from 'Oni' for PS2/PC if ye have ever played it.
I'd completely forgotten about that somehow. Good call. Although: if not using canon FA shot limits, what's the maximum rate of fire for a double action handgun?
Phaeton
QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
I'd completely forgotten about that somehow. Good call. Although: if not using canon FA shot limits, what's the maximum rate of fire for a double action handgun?

I think the Oni handgun came out to about 10 per second or 10 per 3 seconds.

And Sahandrian's autofire rules for normal weapons work like this:

With FA weapons (except with pistols under my rules), you can fire at least 15 shots from a weapon per turn. Recoil is a total of +15 every 15 rounds, or possibly +15 per 30 with HVAR. +15 points recoil comp means recoil-less weapon. Miniguns have default fire rate of 350 rounds per turn or so. And HVAR...Well, you've heard Metal Storm's claims of easily into the 5-digit range, I'm sure. ork.gif devil.gif vegm.gif But seriously...He argues that for weapons without a canon RPM listed, the default should be 15 rounds per turn max. I argue 30 rounds per turn. Most automatic firearms have rates of at least 600 RPM, with the exception of the Steyr TMP, which can only get up to 550 RPM max. indifferent.gif
gknoy
QUOTE (Voran)
I guess I have something of a difficult time seeing that increasing your weapon skill directly influences your speed.  At least in terms of getting shots off.  As for using the world record holders or clips of competition type shooting as examples.. I'm not sure that's the best evidence.

I know this is far from empirical, but ...

I was reading the CZ forums linked in a different thread (gun ownership?), and noticed one uy talkin about how in match shooting he and his friend were gettin g3 rounds off, with good accuracy in the neighborhood of 2 seconds. I think that's a good indicator that people with high skill can be accurate AND fast.

Now, granted, that's not a combat situation. What's the length of an SR combat round? I imagine that taking an extra shot from a pistol or whatever should be doable. Heck, I read once (and liked the idea of) a house rule letting one fire as many as one liked, with simply escalating recoil.

That DOES tend to make onethink, what's the point of burst / FA fire then??

That's why I liked the idea of capping the shots at something related to skill -- no more shots than , say, 1+half the skill, or something. Thouh, that means a starting character could fire a single pistol at +0, 1, 2, 3, in one round; (1+6/2=4 shots) That might be pretty out of whack with what an SMG can do, I admit ...

[edit]Perhaps disallowing aiming-tool bonuses (and not allowing with scoped use) like SL or laser aiming module would help discourage this ...[/edit]

Course they could do the same with burst fire too... but the recoil would be obscene, and effectively like FA: (assuming an SMG with RC 3) -- +0, +3, +6, +9 -- basically, may as well just do normal burst fire.

What if they wanted to use dual pistols? ouch. Since uncompensated recoil is appliedto both, you'd have ... (+2,+2), (+4,+4), (+6,+6)... yeah that's pretty much right out (even with high ambidex, I imagine...).

I dunno... does this make pistols more powerful? yes. Too powerful? Maybe. Different balance. That said, I know that in many FPSes (and in tactical pistol training courses) they say, "keep shooting until the target goes down" -- and I KNOW that at short ranges, I'd be unloading a pistol. Probably a minimum of 3 rounds into a target. I don't think that's represented well by SR's system of 1 shot per simple action. I wouldn't mind seeing more lethal pistols. wink.gif I mean, if you can do it, so can that Max-Power-holdin security guard.

[edit]
QUOTE (ClockworkLime)
"A tiny handful of freaks of nature can shoot a gun eight times in one second, so naturally everyone should be totally blazing with a gun!" Oy.

BTW, this is not what i'm arguing - I am pretty certain that any average person, if they were motivated, could point a SA handgun at some target (say, Mallory Malcontent, the guy who wants to kill me), and pull the trigger as many times as adrenaline and interest implies.

Just miming trigger pulls, I am pretty sure that I could empty a 1911 (7 rounds) in the general direction of a hostile target in about THREE seconds. And that's being conservative, I imagine, and not being a total spaz.

Now, these would not be well-aimed shots, of course ... and is represented by the fact that my recoil would be escalating. hell, with 4 dice, I don't think that I would be able to HIT anything well with many of those. The +4, +5, and +6 to hit with the last few rounds mean that they are intended almost as suppressive fire. wink.gif

I imagine that I, with maybe pistols 3 (after a bit of practice, that's believable i think), would not be expecting to hit much with that clipfull - almost hopin for a lucky single success, you might say. A Trained pistol fighter, though -- say skill 5 or 6, could probably expect to hit a TN of 8 or 9 even with only 5-6 dice.

Remembering that movement modifiers (mine and target's) both contribute to this, the REAL tn to hit would probably be in 8's-12's _anyways_. So probably not all that bad to let them throw more lead out.

Maybe i'll jsut go read the rules on suppressive fire.

[/edit]
Austere Emancipator
If you're keeping the 10-round cap on Fully Automatic fire, then you certainly shouldn't allow people to fire more than 3 bursts with a standard BF weapon per Initiative Phase. Even allow people to fire more than maybe 3 rounds with a standard SA weapon is a bit silly.

An unwired and not particularly skilled human can fire a fully automatic weapon somewhat accurately 60 times in the span of 3 seconds -- one CT. Compare the 10 round FA cap to that, and suddenly the 2 round SA cap doesn't feel quite so bad.
Phaeton
...Hmmmm...The Emancipating One has good points. I shall revise this...After some sleep. x_x
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012