Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what would YOU be?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Pepsi Jedi
This has been done before no doubt but I haven't seen one in a while. If you were born into he world of Shadowrun, what do you think YOU would be/do?

This sort of came up in the thread on batteries, I'd mentioned the world of Shadowrun would be awesome for me.

Now.. I know most of us would not be Shadowrunners (If any of us. lol) But how would you see your self in the year 2074 (Assuming you were the same age in 2074 that you are now in 2013.))

As for myself, I'd probably have expressed as a troll. With my celtic blood with both sides of the family straight out of Scotland I might even manifest as a Fomoroi troll. I know trolls are a very small percentage of the population. If I didn't express as a troll I'm fairly certain I would as an orc. lol

As for 'where and what', I doubt I'd be a Runner. I'm not the type now and if I'm being honest I doubt I would be then either. I'd very likely work for a corp. And of the corps, I think I'd end up at Ares. I like their crop structure and breakdown and such. Corp security, or weapons design would be a good place for me. The question would be "Would I be an Ares Citizen" or "A CAS Citizen"... that's a toughie. I love my country and I'm loyal to it, but in 2074... the country ain't what it'd used to be. If I'm being honest I'd say it'd be a 50/50 split on which I'd end up as. Maybe 60/40, in favor of actually being an Ares citizen.

Edit: I'd totally have cyber eyes. I'd use tax returns and save up and have a really nice set with all the bells and whistles: Cyber eyes with recording unit, image link, low light, Vision Enhancement and magnification. An (Engraved) datajack is another almost assured bit of tech, and if I worked in security or weapons design, likely a smart link as well. Probably some skillwire. Maybe some cyber ears with audio enhancement and sound link. Fiber-optic hair (1m). Nanotattoos. I'd got for all 6 areas (( 4 limbs, torso, head)) I wouldn't look like a circus freak. I'd likely add art as I felt, and could "turn it off" When I went to work. I'd also use it for defacto skin pigmentation (Green) When not on the clock. Sounds like a lot but at $250, per area, it's NOT that expensive at all. (( The tattoo I have now on my inner forearm is about 6 by 3 and cost more than an entire limb/torso if nano tattoos)) You could get one limb/torso per month and be done in half a year. Or use one yearly tax return to get it all done at once. They update as fast as you can send through your comlink, so you really could look 100% 'normal' at work and then as soon as you step out the door, have body art, they 'inject' too, so it's not like you're in the chair for hours and hours to get the desired results.

So in the end.

Troll, Maybe Formori Troll. If not Orc for sure. Working for Ares, either in security or design. And.... Ares, or CAS citizenship, with leaning towards Ares. With cyber as listed above.

How about you guys?

(( Edit: I forgot the tech I'd probably have. So I added it in))
Summerstorm
If i want to be boringly realistic:
I am pretty sure i would be a standard human, doing the same or worse job as now: low-level tech-support in some Megacorp... likely Saeder-Krupp. I would have had eye-mods installed (but the eyes themselves kept) and a really cool datajack. But of course i don't make much money, so that's all. (Thinking about either an encephalon or other brain-enhancements though). Live in the enclave in a tiny apartment. My only light in life is trying out terrible cash-draining online-games and being bored and sedated. (WHAT? Shadowrun is grim *g*)

Cool one: while at the moment i don't look much like i would be something exotic... maybe i do have something trollish in me *g*. Slight magical powers too. (Spellcasting adept, no conjuring - Hedge mage or some self-taught Intuition-based tradition) - would lounge about as spiritual/magical advisor... wouldn't be that good in it *g*. But the world is magical and full of potential.
Stahlseele
Troll, pretty likely . . Maybe North European MetaVariant Giant . .
Sleep Regulator, DataJack, Chipjack, Skillwires, Eyes replaced . .
Lionhearted
I was pondering writing myself up as a character the other day...
Got stuck on skills, those goddamn knowledge skills... Very lacking in active ones though.
If I were to express metagenetic traits I would probably express as an Ork, Im halfway there anyhow... What with pronounced canines, slightly pointed ears, extensive hair growth and standing over 6,2'' (185cm)

If I awakened I would have a nice foundation for my own hodgepodge tradition, such matters always fascinated me...
I probably lean towards the hermetic side, with a drive to understand the workings of mana. But I also have a creative streak full of mental constructs that would probably express itself aswell.
If I didn't awaken I would probably still want to figure this brand new world out.
So theurology study/field research, alternatively your friendly neighbourhood healer.
Helping people, fighting the good fight.

As for allegiances, fuck the system... Me and the Neo@'s... Well, I probably wouldn't want the inconvenience of outright rebellion, but the moment they try to stick those tags in me and give me a nice wageslave position with no outlook to the future... I'll take my chances in the forest or the barrens.
CanRay
I'd most likely be dead.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2013, 04:53 PM) *
I'd most likely be dead.

This. Or a corporate wage slave.

I'm not strong, agile, or tough. And the odds of being magical are slim.
I am intelligent, but can't make snap decisions. Also lazy.
Darksong
yeah, I'd be doing the same thing I do now - represent multinational conglomerates in high-stakes intellectual property litigation.

so in other words, killed by a shadowrunner.
Lionhearted
Oh come on guys, inject some more wishful thinking!
What you realistically would be is no fun because the answers would be very similar. What you speculate you could/want to be is way more interesting.
Darksong
I would definitely have datajack/implanted commlink/encephalon 1

also some synthacardium for this friggin heart condition...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 11 2013, 05:24 PM) *
What you speculate you could/want to be is way more interesting.

That's easy.
In fact, I advertise that constantly.
Smirnov
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 12 2013, 12:38 AM) *
Now.. I know most of us would not be Shadowrunners (If any of us. lol) But how would you see your self in the year 2074 (Assuming you were the same age in 2074 that you are now in 2013.))

If we're just projecting our present self to 2074, I'd be a middle executive at Horizon or AGE (or Cross Entertainment if I end up moving to Canada). I would probably be one some time soon without any Shadowrun.
Whom I want to be? Same place. Cyberpunk offer an array of possibilities I would loму to exploit
thorya
I think I might actually be in the 1% and be awakened. Not because that's what I would want to be (though come on that would be awesome), but because I have several other rare traits/conditions that are in 1% or less of the population, so you know I'm pretty good at winning the rare things lottery. Despite probably having a high logic skill and decent willpower which would be great for a magician, I bet I would end up being adept instead, because those rare traits usually don't actually come together so well.

Otherwise, I would probably be a corporate researcher working on product development or energy work. If I went Meta, I just have a feeling I would go Dwarf, not sure why.

I would probably avoid cyber, but go for bioware.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 11 2013, 03:38 PM) *
This has been done before no doubt but I haven't seen one in a while. If you were born into he world of Shadowrun, what do you think YOU would be/do?

Dwarf, despite the pretty average height I've got. And I might actually have wound up as a shadowrunner, or at least, a peripheral part of that community - if only because I do not fit in with corporate power structures. To be 41 in 2073-74, would mean being born in the mid-2030's, so I wouldn't even have to be a spike baby for that.

That or a pitiful, sniveling squatter. Of the two, guess which I'd prefer? LoL.

In terms of implants and such?

Scenario A, I awaken as a Mage. Improbable, but ... hey, 1% chance is not "never". If I did, my Tradition would probably be Logic-based, but not pure Hermeticism. Chaos magic, maybe; the hodgepodge of symbolism and such, yet mechanistic approach to the overall paradigm, would probably fit me IRL. This is the most likely path for me to be an actual, god's honest Shadowrunner.

Scenario B, no Magic, no Resonance. I would probably eat the "dwarf mechanic" trope right up, and be a techie of some sort - probably working with guns and/or body armor. This would be less likely to wind up with me as a shadowrunner, but might still have me at least on the fringes of the shadow community - I'd be someone's tech/armorer contact, instead of being a runner myself.

I'd probably want Cybereyes, and a datajack. The eyes would have Thermo (to match what I'd've grown up with), plus flare comp, vision enhancement, magnification, and protective covers. Datajack, I'd likely spring for something decorative, so Engraved all the way. Dietware, and/or Clean Metabolism, are very likely things I'd pick up. Skillwires, too; I really like the idea of being able to just BUY a new skill, rather than learn it "the hard way", haha!

However, I doubt I'd go lopping off limbs just to get cybernetic replacements, but such could happen due to injury -or frankly, my knees and hips aren't too happy with me right now, so ... something to address joint woes is likely; I bet Elastic Joins would solve that problem (for a lot less than Enhanced Articulation does).

I'd want Alpha-grade whenever practical. Everything would have RFID tags removed, and wireless added; anything that needed to talk to the outside world, DataJack included, would be Skinlink-equipped.

The above is about 70,000¥ and exactly 1 Essence. So I might get those augments, even if Awakened. At least, some of them, yeah? Assuming I could ever scrape up the money to get it all done, of course.

Because Scenario C is "grubby, sniveling squatter", and let's just not go there, 'kay?

Scenario D is "some sort of Adept", and if that turned out how I'd want it to? It'd be Scenario B "with magic" - walking the Artisan's Way. ^_^
Pepsi Jedi
It's funny, when I was writing the OP I asked my wife, and she agreed on most of what I'd written, including the Troll, maybe Formori-troll, if not Orc.

When I'd finished though she said 'If it was Pathfinder. I think you'd be a Dwarf. You've got some Dwarven mindsets and stuff but Shadowrun dwarves are different from D&D Dwarves. I pointed out I'm 6'3" and she shrugged and went "You'd be a a tall dwarf. Like Dwalin from the Hobbit movie." lol
Shortstraw
Would be studying arcana rather than mathematics (awakened or not) but apart from that...
CanRay
Considering my family history (and even a few possibilities that there might have been a few mana spikes!), I'd likely be an Elf and SINless.

Due to my innate ability to figure out technology, I'd likely be working on the infrastructure of the failing areas in the Barrens, trying to squeeze out some water or electricity for a community, and possibly even being a Deckmeister (Illegal Cyberdeck/Custom Commlink Designer/Builder) if I was able to train myself up.

In all likelihood, I still stand by my statement that I'd likely be dead. The world is not kind on people like me as it is now. In Shadowrun?
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2013, 08:06 PM) *
Considering my family history (and even a few possibilities that there might have been a few mana spikes!), I'd likely be an Elf and SINless.

Due to my innate ability to figure out technology, I'd likely be working on the infrastructure of the failing areas in the Barrens, trying to squeeze out some water or electricity for a community, and possibly even being a Deckmeister (Illegal Cyberdeck/Custom Commlink Designer/Builder) if I was able to train myself up.

In all likelihood, I still stand by my statement that I'd likely be dead. The world is not kind on people like me as it is now. In Shadowrun?

People like you...... what? Canadians?
CanRay
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 11 2013, 09:26 PM) *
People like you...... what? Canadians?
French-Canadian in this case, but, no. My family has a lot of "elven" traits that show up every now and then (up to and including pointed ears at times!).
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2013, 08:37 PM) *
French-Canadian in this case, but, no. My family has a lot of "elven" traits that show up every now and then (up to and including pointed ears at times!).

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you implying that you catch shit for having somewhat pointed ears IRL?
CanRay
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 11 2013, 10:02 PM) *
Maybe I'm missing something, but are you implying that you catch shit for having somewhat pointed ears IRL?
No, but it's something that has been noticed for some reason.
DMiller
Mine's easy:
U2C
Probably working in a cubicle farm somewhere (like I do now).

-D
tsuyoshikentsu
Well, I'm a professional dance teacher who moonlights as an assistant martial arts instructor and loves dive bars.

So, uh, I'm thinking elf runner. Yeeeeah.
_Pax._
... Ork stripper-ninja? (Eeek!)
ggodo
Well, I've practically got tusks already, so I'd probably be a scrawny ork in about the same place as I am now, Unemployed Civil Engineering graduate looking for work.
Seriously Mike
Human, most probably a rigger of some sort. Maybe even a spider. Mostly because of my tendency to creatively abuse all sorts of technology.
But knowing me, I'd go for meatspace enhancements too. And definitely cybereyes, I'm severely nearsighted and that needs a'fixin'.
Starmage21
Hoping like hell that I'm awakened. If not, definitely some form of corporate wage-slave in a tech department performing some manner of skilled labor. I cant even be sure I could be healthy in the world of Shadowrun, with a total VR lifestyle I'm not sure I'd be able to remember to eat, and long hours in VR space would mean bad things for my physical self. I'd definitely have all manner of non-visible augmentations including geneware, and a life savings to be put toward leonization every 30-40 years or so.

If awakened, I'd lean heavily towards logic traditions; probably hermetic.
Lionhearted
VR life doesn't sound so bad when I think about it...
Faelan
Based on past experiences with the weird and hard to explain, and based on a variety of personal skills and traits, I would probably be a Mystic Adept, and likely an elf. Definitely something security oriented, quite possibly an independent contractor.
Tias
I'm already an angry anti-corporation squatter, and lucky enough to live in Denmark to boot. Soo.. a shittier version of that?

Ed: Living the pirates life on a leaky houseboat, praying to the spirits for a bountiful catch of mutant fish and taking potshots at Tyr Security helicopters, that's the life for me!
Warlordtheft
QUOTE ( @ Feb 11 2013, 04:53 PM)
I'd most likely be dead.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 11 2013, 05:13 PM) *
This. Or a corporate wage slave.

I'm not strong, agile, or tough. And the odds of being magical are slim.
I am intelligent, but can't make snap decisions. Also lazy.

Aren't they the same thing? cyber.gif

I'd probably be a mage in the CAS or UCAS---people tell me I'm different in RL. Now at that point I would be an independent contractor or work for the government. I would not belong to any magical groups either.

Draco18s
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Feb 12 2013, 02:46 PM) *
Aren't they the same thing? cyber.gif

I almost put:

"Or a corporate wage slave (i.e. dead)"

But I figured that that was explaining the joke. wink.gif
AStarshipforAnts
I'd probably be a standard human with an even worse media addiction. If schooling went the same, I probably would have rejected a fat megacorp scholarship for medicine to pursue art. Then I'd be a mediocre illustrator who never attracted much attention in my life. I'd probably be a wageslave shading text for Japanicorp mascots.
DamHawke
Will probably be just a boring 'ol human. Though if lucky enough to be a meta/awakened I have no idea what I'd be due to all the genetic narglefargle I inherited (what do you even call a person with Irish-Chinese heritage?)

Would also probably be doing a crappier version of the same news gig I'm doing now, with a horrible VR addiction. Sounds a wee bit better than wageslaving I guess.

Definitely will be having cybereyes at least to counter the fact that I'm half way to clinically blind biggrin.gif
Umidori
Realistically? Probably a quiet, ordinary citizen of the UCAS.

Ideally? A quiet, awakened citizen of somewhere relatively nice and uneventful like New Zealand, working on honing my adept powers in my spare time.

~Umi
bannockburn
I think, I'd be a standard human, with a definitive lean to being a ha-/decker with neo anarchist ties. I'd probably use my computer skills to do matrix artwork and slack a lot. wink.gif
I'd love me some modifications, especially for sports and hand/eye coordination, but a datajack would be a must have. Internet in my brain? Hell yeah!
Lionhearted
Even as a mage know/linguaaofts are just to handy to pass up...
_Pax._
Even back in SR1 and SR2, very light augmentation was often quite desireable for the Awakened.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 13 2013, 12:49 PM) *
Even as a mage know/linguaaofts are just to handy to pass up...

That's very true. I'd probably load myself up with both and be a huge know-it-all.
Lionhearted
biggrin.gif You'd be pretty hard to counter in arguments.
"That's not how it happened! You're getting it wrong!"
"My late 18th century industrial revolution history knowsoft thinks otherwise..."
"But I..."
CanRay
New eyes and an elbow would be really nice right about now. Hell, new arm possibly if the bone won't heal.
X-Kalibur
With my luck I'd end up Elven (tall, lithe, flexible) but given my areas of speciality, I'd end up a decker. You just don't see many elf deckers. (Although I don't think I'd mind being a techno).
thorya
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 13 2013, 01:01 PM) *
biggrin.gif You'd be pretty hard to counter in arguments.
"That's not how it happened! You're getting it wrong!"
"My late 18th century industrial revolution history knowsoft thinks otherwise..."
"But I..."

Oh geez, just think of the RPG matrix forum discussions.
"Well my knowsoft implies the RAI of this passage is. . . "
"No, my knowsoft clearly states that in the most up to date RAP (rules as programmed) of SR 17E, that you do get hardened armor on programs is not vulnerable to . . . "
Umidori
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Feb 13 2013, 02:47 PM) *
With my luck I'd end up Elven (tall, lithe, flexible) but given my areas of speciality, I'd end up a decker. You just don't see many elf deckers. (Although I don't think I'd mind being a techno).

Really? Seems like half the official art I see for deckers makes them elves.

FastJack is an elf. Frosty is an Immortal Elf. Netcat is an elf (albeit a technomancer not a decker). /dev/grrl is an elf. Isn't the Smiling Bandit an elf? And I could have sworn Puck was too, but can't remember properly. But where are the famous Dwarf or Troll hackers? The Orks have Bull, but that's about it...

~Umi
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Umidori @ Feb 13 2013, 03:06 PM) *
Really? Seems like half the official art I see for deckers makes them elves.

FastJack is an elf. Frosty is an Immortal Elf. Netcat is an elf (albeit a technomancer not a decker). /dev/grrl is an elf. Isn't the Smiling Bandit an elf? And I could have sworn Puck was too, but can't remember properly. But where are the famous Dwarf or Troll hackers? The Orks have Bull, but that's about it...

~Umi

Fastjack is Human I thought? Frosty is an IE but she's a mage. Smiling Bandit I do believe is an elf (possibly a front for Harlequin?) but he's just a poster, not a decker, I thought?
Umidori
Nope, FastJack is an elf, at least according to the sources I found to double check.

I also forgot about Dodger, he's an elf too. My point is a fair number of the most famous deckers in the world are elves, and most of the regular members of JackPoint are as well. Which is kind of odd, now that I think about it.

~Umi
CanRay
FastJack was born in 1999, and wasn't a Spike Baby, he's very, very human.

Peg is human and a Decker of great skill.
Umidori
So why, aside from Bull, are there no famous Ork, Troll, or Dwarf hackers? Hell, are there any ultrafamous Dwarves at all?

~Umi
Umidori
Double Post. Somehow.

Blarg.

~Umi
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Umidori @ Feb 13 2013, 04:51 PM) *
So why, aside from Bull, are there no famous Ork, Troll, or Dwarf hackers? Hell, are there any ultrafamous Dwarves at all?

~Umi

Humanis.
CanRay
There's Hamfist the Decker! nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012