Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Angel Summoner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kerbarian
It takes a bit of investment, but it's not that hard to regularly summon Force 9 spirits with minimal drain from a starting character. The main ingredients are Magic 9 (natural 6 + Force 3 Power Focus) and a large drain pool -- Edge helps, too.

Force 9 spirits are, of course, rather ridiculously powerful. An air spirit has a ranged attack of 18P/-9 (Elemental Attack, electricity) with 21 dice and a melee attack of 27S/special (Engulf + Energy Aura). It also has initiative of 22 + 2d6 (before boosting with Increased Reflexes), 18 hardened armor against most attacks, and a defense pool (Rea + Int) of 22. Oh, and it makes your whole team invisible with Concealment (-9 dice to enemy perception rolls). Other spirit types are comparable.

Here's a sample character built for summoning them (among other things):

[ Spoiler ]

Increased Willpower can be sustained with Focused Concentration, giving him a Willpower of 9 (maxxed out at natural +4). That plus his natural Charisma of 8 is a drain pool of 17. Summoning a Force 9 air spirit with 19 dice and then resisting drain with 17 dice results in an average of 3.3 services and 1.5 stun damage from drain (53% chance of no drain at all). If he's about to take drain damage, he can spend Edge (of which he has plenty) on Second Chance -- that reduces things to an average of 0.3 stun damage (87% chance of no drain at all). With some extra time, he can also quickly rest it off (adding Increased Body via a sustaining focus plus reagents gets him to 14 dice for healing stun damage).

Binding a Force 9 spirit is scary stuff, but just summoning a new one whenever you run out of services is very doable and incredibly powerful.

A couple other notes about the character: While he's incredibly frail physically, he's actually very hard to hit unless he's had to shut down his sustaining foci. If he's expecting combat, he'll generally be sustaining Increased Willpower (via Focused Concentration) and then Combat Sense on himself and Increased Reflexes on both himself and his summoned spirit (using sustaining foci). Those last three would be cast at Force 1 so they can fit in the sustaining foci but with reagents to increase their limits to 9 -- reagents are basically ammo for spellcasters. That gives him plenty of initiative to use Full Defense; that plus Combat Sense that typically gives him 21 dice for avoiding attacks, plus lots of Edge if things look ugly.

He doesn't have any weapons or combat spells. He'd be perfectly competent with combat spells, but the spirit will still hit much harder and Control Thoughts (with a decent Initiative) actually seems like a more useful spell in a fight -- I haven't tried that in actual play, though.

Edit: Since the sample character above seems particularly contentious, here's another one that's more well-rounded. He still won't do well at arm wrestling, but he's only a bit below average physically, and he adds some interesting capabilities: He's a great scout (strong detection spells plus perception to go with spirit Concealment) and all-around healer (17 dice for First Aid with a medkit, plus Heal and Resist Pain). He can still summon Force 9 spirits -- only 2.7 average services with no Mentor Spirit, but he's the same on drain resistance. Instead of a natural 8 charisma, he boosts both of his drain attributes via spells for the same total of 17 dice. He's tougher in combat with the same suite of defensive spells (Combat Sense, Increase Reflexes, Increase Willpower) plus better Body and Int + Rea.

[ Spoiler ]
Jaid
and then, one random day, instead of getting 3.3 services he explodes in a shower of blood and gore that covers everyone in a 9 meter radius.
Slide
Body 1 agli reaction 1 str 1? I think you are literally my Grandmother.
Shortstraw
Drain can only be healed by resting which is a body x2 for physical drain so you may want more than 1 body.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 27 2013, 07:36 PM) *
and then, one random day, instead of getting 3.3 services he explodes in a shower of blood and gore that covers everyone in a 9 meter radius.

The drain is stun -- Magic 9 vs. Force 9. It's possible he'll get knocked out due to 13 stun damage, but it's a 0.02% chance even before spending Edge for a Second Chance.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Slide @ Jul 27 2013, 07:48 PM) *
Body 1 agli reaction 1 str 1? I think you are literally my Grandmother.

Yup. It's easy enough to have 2's in everything by spreading points around from Intuition and not affect his summoning ability at all, but I decided to go with the theme smile.gif.
Tanegar
Between Body 1, a blitzed immune system, an allergy to pollutants (in other words, 90% of everything he's exposed to, unless he's doing his running exclusively in virgin wilderness where there's nothing to run against), and zero ability to do anything remotely athletic (run, jump, swim, climb, not that any runner has ever had to do any of those things...), he is literally weaker than a kitten. Also, your math is wrong: he doesn't have 19 dice to summon spirits, he has 17: you forgot the -2 penalty for his allergy, which in an urban setting affects him 24/7 and penalizes every single roll he makes other than soak and drain resistance.

The moral of this story is that if you minmax the living fuck out of your character, you get someone who can do precisely one thing unbelievably well, but folds like wet cardboard when asked to do anything else (like, say, be a functioning shadowrunner).
Elfenlied
QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 28 2013, 04:04 AM) *
The drain is stun -- Magic 9 vs. Force 9. It's possible he'll get knocked out due to 13 stun damage, but it's a 0.02% chance even before spending Edge for a Second Chance.

Power foci do not actually increase your magic rating.
sds
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 08:48 AM) *
Between Body 1, a blitzed immune system, an allergy to pollutants (in other words, 90% of everything he's exposed to...

Get him one of these Human Hamster Ball
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 28 2013, 10:17 AM) *
Power foci do not actually increase your magic rating.

It says it increases "your effective Magic rating." (p. 319). Unless clarified, it would seem to apply when checking for stun versus physical damage. (p. 300)
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jul 28 2013, 10:32 AM) *
It says it increases "your effective Magic rating." (p. 319). Unless clarified, it would seem to apply when checking for stun versus physical damage. (p. 300)

The full text says this:

Power foci live up to their name. They are very powerful
foci that temporarily increase your effective Magic rat-ing. That means they add to your Sorcery, Conjuring, and
Enchanting dice pools
, along with any other test where
Magic is involved.

Emphasis mine in bold. Power Foci add to your DP, but do nothing more.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 01:48 AM) *
The moral of this story is that if you minmax the living fuck out of your character, you get someone who can do precisely one thing unbelievably well, but folds like wet cardboard when asked to do anything else (like, say, be a functioning shadowrunner).

Wow, I'm sorry if that character upsets you... it's just a sample character, and I thought adding some glaring flaws would make him more interesting. None of that really has to do with the fact that you can regularly summon Force 9 spirits with a starting character.

If I wanted to just minmax it, there are simple ways to get rid of the obvious (and -- I thought -- obviously intentional) weaknesses of the character. And btw, a mild allergy only applies to physical tests, not summoning.

Also, I should clarify -- I don't think this is a good thing for the game. My main point here is trying to point out something that seems way more powerful than what I would expect a starting character to be able to do.
Tanegar
QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 28 2013, 05:58 AM) *
Wow, I'm sorry if that character upsets you... it's just a sample character, and I thought adding some glaring flaws would make him more interesting. None of that really has to do with the fact that you can regularly summon Force 9 spirits with a starting character.

The character doesn't upset me, he's just ridiculous. He's a very good magician, but put an obstacle in his path that can't be removed with magic, and he is utterly helpless. To be clear, if you brought this character to my table, I would gladly let you play him... and I would laugh in your face when he died on the first run.

If I wanted to really just minmax it, there are easy ways to get rid of the obvious (and -- I thought -- obviously intentional) weaknesses of the character. And btw, a mild allergy only applies to physical tests, not summoning.

Did they change that in SR5? SR4A says "all tests made while the character experiences the symptoms." If it's only physical tests in SR5, I think that's kind of silly; you ever try to do anything involving mental focus while hacking and coughing?

Also, I should clarify -- I don't think this is a good thing for the game. My main point here is trying to point out something that seems way more powerful than what I would expect a starting character to be able to do.

You spent every single point you had on one thing, and you got (surprise, surprise) a combination glass cannon/one-trick pony. I don't consider that overpowered, simply because he'll never live long enough for it to become an issue.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 03:13 AM) *
The character doesn't upset me, he's just ridiculous. He's a very good magician, but put an obstacle in his path that can't be removed with magic, and he is utterly helpless. To be clear, if you brought this character to my table, I would gladly let you play him... and I would laugh in your face when he died on the first run.

The character doesn't upset you, but you'd like to laugh in my face after he dies?...

Anyway, assuming we take away the intentional physical frailty -- say, replace the negative qualities with a Code of Honor and Loss of Confidence (Counterspelling) and distribute points from Intuition so that no attribute is a 1 -- in what way is this character less capable or flexible than the Street Shaman archetype? Certainly he's worse at running and jumping (except when he decides to spend Edge), but I don't see how that makes a character terminally useless.

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 03:13 AM) *
Did they change that in SR5? SR4A says "all tests made while the character experiences the symptoms." If it's only physical tests in SR5, I think that's kind of silly; you ever try to do anything involving mental focus while hacking and coughing?

Yes, the new wording is "Apply a –2 dice pool modifier to the character’s Physical Tests while under the effects of the Allergy." Moderate is also "Physical Tests", but once you reach a severe allergy the wording changes to "all tests".
Tanegar
I haven't seen the Street Shaman archetype in SR5, so I really can't compare the two.

As for flexibility, the specified changes don't help him in that regard at all. Giving him Body 2 increases his maximum soak pool from laughably bad (3) to merely sniggeringly bad (6). Congratulations, you now average two (2) hits when resisting damage instead of one; or if you would only take 1 damage, you can now buy the single hit to auto-soak. I hear you say, "But Tanegar, he can spend Edge!" Yes, yes he can. But if he's doing that every time someone gives him a nasty look, even six points of Edge won't last very long.

He's now a tempered-glass cannon, but still a one-trick pony. He can cast spells and summon spirits like nobody's business, but is still a babe in the woods when faced with any problem that cannot be easily solved with magic. His Assensing and Perception pools, which were mediocre at 6, are now downright bad at 4; and his Astral Combat pools of 3 are barely worth mentioning.

If you want him to be flexible at all, able to handle more than one type of situation, he needs more skills. I'm guessing, however, that if you raise his skill priority, he suddenly won't be able to whip out a Force 9 demigod quite so handily.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 03:55 AM) *
I haven't seen the Street Shaman archetype in SR5, so I really can't compare the two.

As for flexibility, the specified changes don't help him in that regard at all. Giving him Body 2 increases his maximum soak pool from laughably bad (3) to merely sniggeringly bad (6). Congratulations, you now average two (2) hits when resisting damage instead of one; or if you would only take 1 damage, you can now buy the single hit to auto-soak. I hear you say, "But Tanegar, he can spend Edge!" Yes, yes he can. But if he's doing that every time someone gives him a nasty look, even six points of Edge won't last very long.

As described in the post, the idea for defense in combat is to rely on spells (sustained without penalty via foci and Focused Concentration) to give him a much more effective overall defense than most of the archetypes. It's true that he's fragile without those spells -- that's when the Edge would come in, on the (hopefully rare) occasions when he's thrown into combat immediately after there's some reason his spells need to come down.

It's potentially worth noting that he could swap priorities to drop his Edge to 1 and get 6 more attribute points, which is enough to reach respectable numbers all around without dropping Willpower or Charisma. I think the Edge of 6 is more likely to be helpful, though, with the new Edge rules.

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 03:55 AM) *
He's now a tempered-glass cannon, but still a one-trick pony. He can cast spells and summon spirits like nobody's business, but is still a babe in the woods when faced with any problem that cannot be easily solved with magic. His Assensing and Perception pools, which were mediocre at 6, are now downright bad at 4; and his Astral Combat pools of 3 are barely worth mentioning.

That's one of the things I find so worrisome about easily summoning high-force spirits -- in addition to massive combat power, they provide a lot of flexibility. For example, the Force 9 spirit has all of the skills you mentioned (Assensing, Astral Combat , and Perception) with pools of 18 dice.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Actually, with no encumbrance and the probability he's wearing an armoured jacket you're looking at a soak pool of 13-14... which would be nice except that attacks are also more powerful in SR5 (not counting narrow bursts)
Tanegar
QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 28 2013, 07:19 AM) *
As described in the post, the idea for defense in combat is to rely on spells (sustained without penalty via foci and Focused Concentration) to give him a much more effective overall defense than most of the archetypes. It's true that he's fragile without those spells -- that's when the Edge would come in, on the (hopefully rare) occasions when he's thrown into combat immediately after there's some reason his spells need to come down.

Yes, lots of dice for dodging. That's very helpful against mediocre combatants firing SA weapons. Throw him up against trained soldiers with automatic weapons (as found in, for example, every high-security government and corp facility), and burst fire will cut his defense pool down to size very quickly.

That's one of the things I find so worrisome about easily summoning high-force spirits -- in addition to massive combat power, they provide a lot of flexibility. For example, the Force 9 spirit has all of the skills you mentioned (Assensing, Astral Combat , and Perception) with pools of 18 dice.

Can the spirit negotiate better pay for you? Can it talk down a trigger-happy cop? Can it help you sneak past a guard post? Can it defuse a tense standoff? Summoning virtually any kind of spirit will be taken as a hostile, or at least suspicious, act in most situations. Summoning a Force 9 spirit means you can expect multiple HTR teams, including combat mages, rolling up on you in the very near future.

It boils down to this: yes, on paper, the power to whistle up a Force 9 buddy more-or-less at will is very powerful. In practice, it's the kind of thing that wins battles but loses wars, if you take my meaning.
Draco18s
Here's the downside:

You only get one of these at a time.

As soon as you encounter more opposition than your F9 spirit can handle, guess who they're going to look at?

(Mmm, flanking...)
Falconer
Actually... oddball question.

He may have a super high dodge pool using willpower to aid dodge. But with 1's in all those physical stats isn't his physical limit an abysmal 2 to 4... Meaning that he's likely to cap out on every defense test at a low number?

The other bit... I don't think they changed power foci... but don't have the book to check exact diction. I could see it going either way though... since hits > Magic causes the stun -> physical drain... increasing drain limit would be a substantial increase in power foci.

Also I don't see them doing power foci that way because it opens up a potential other abuse... instead of a Qi focus... an adept could simply grab a power foci, increase magic, and get a PP for each one theoretically. Quite possibly adepts are simply banned from bonding all but certain kinds of foci though.

I think I remember Bull saying somewhere in another thread that it adds to magic though.
PriorityKarmaGen
A bigger concern is the hail-mary Force 12 spirit (basically unkillable except with Banishing, with an average of 24 dice pools). Any Magic 6 mage can attempt this; a Magic 6 + Summoning 6 mage has a reasonable shot if he spends a point of Edge for Second Chance. The drain is going to be a bitch: probably 8P or 10P, but the mage can probably resist 3 of that for 5P or 7P damage. Not good, but as a hail-mary it's actually not bad. It doesn't even have to be the PCs doing this. Suppose you're a bad guy shaman who's doing some unsavory things. One day, a bunch of guys bust into your compound and start killing your guards. Why not try for a big nasty/invincible spirit to hopefully kill the intruders before they get to your room? Add Invisibility and Stealth and hopefully they won't find you before your spirit turns them into pulp. When you fight any other dude with Ability 6 Skill 6, you're facing a dice pool of 12. When you fight a summoner with Magic 6 Summoning 6, you can face a dice pool of 24. You could say the Shadowrunner team should have taken more precautions and been sneakier, but what other BBEG with Ability 6 Skill 6 would warrant such caution?

My solution? Cap the Force of a summoned spirit at Magic x1 instead of Magic x2, or alternatively let spirits resist summoning with Force x2.

On the topic of this guy, you don't judge character archetypes by whether they can do everything. You judge them by comparing them to other character archetypes, none of which can do everything (except maybe a Jack of All Trades, but they can't do anything well).

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 12:56 PM) *
Can the spirit negotiate better pay for you? Can it talk down a trigger-happy cop? Can it help you sneak past a guard post? Can it defuse a tense standoff? Summoning virtually any kind of spirit will be taken as a hostile, or at least suspicious, act in most situations. Summoning a Force 9 spirit means you can expect multiple HTR teams, including combat mages, rolling up on you in the very near future.

Can a street sam do any of these? Can a decker do any of these things? The street sam can sneak past a guard post, but so can this guy (Concealment for the whole team, -9 dice on Perception). The only thing I can see is defusing a tense standoff, where the street sam can at least use intimidation or something. Keep in mind this guy can cast spells, which also brings a lot of utility depending on which spells are chosen. Can the street sam find all magic or living creatures in a large area? Can the street sam heal people? Also keep in mind that the Force 9 Spirit is a lot stronger in combat than the street sam.

The street sam can resist damage better than this summoner, of course. Depending on terrain, the summoner can make up for it by staying behind cover the whole time.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 28 2013, 02:02 PM) *
You only get one of these at a time.

As soon as you encounter more opposition than your F9 spirit can handle, guess who they're going to look at?

A street sam only brings one of himself too. This mage is slightly better in that regard because he can still cast spells while the spirit is doing its thing.

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 28 2013, 02:15 PM) *
He may have a super high dodge pool using willpower to aid dodge. But with 1's in all those physical stats isn't his physical limit an abysmal 2 to 4... Meaning that he's likely to cap out on every defense test at a low number?

Defense tests don't have thresholds in general.
apple
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 28 2013, 05:37 AM) *
The full text says this:

I think this should/must be clarified by the devs, because both are conflicting. Is a power foci a simple dice pool modifier or indeed, as in the first part of the sentence, an increase of magic for purposes of physical/stun drain, overcasting etc.

SYL
Tanegar
QUOTE (PriorityKarmaGen @ Jul 28 2013, 01:31 PM) *
On the topic of this guy, you don't judge character archetypes by whether they can do everything. You judge them by comparing them to other character archetypes, none of which can do everything (except maybe a Jack of All Trades, but they can't do anything well).

But they can all do more than one thing. This guy can only do one thing, and curls up in a wheezing ball when asked to do anything else.

Can a street sam do any of these? Can a decker do any of these things? The street sam can sneak past a guard post, but so can this guy (Concealment for the whole team, -9 dice on Perception). The only thing I can see is defusing a tense standoff, where the street sam can at least use intimidation or something. Keep in mind this guy can cast spells, which also brings a lot of utility depending on which spells are chosen. Can the street sam find all magic or living creatures in a large area? Can the street sam heal people? Also keep in mind that the Force 9 Spirit is a lot stronger in combat than the street sam.

If the samurai or the decker have the skills for it, yes. That's my point: Angel Summoner doesn't have any significant capability not directly related to conjuring the biggest spirit he can. Also, Concealment is not a panacea, especially not for this character: with no Sneaking skill, he's defaulting to 1 die (Agility 2 - 1). If he tries to get past anybody with 13 Perception dice or better (not unlikely), they buy a hit and see right through the Concealment; and that's assuming he actually gets a hit on his 1 die. If he rolls a 1, which he'll do roughly one in six times? No Concealment will help him.

Defense tests don't have thresholds in general.

Lolwut? No, they don't, but that's roughly ten city blocks off the point. If he's capping out on defense at 2 hits, anyone only ever needs 3 hits to hit him, at which point he goes down like a 5-nuyen hooker.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 28 2013, 10:37 AM) *
The full text says this:

The second sentence helps clarify the first, it doesn't replace it. And it does add to Magic for things beyond dice pools, as your own bolding shows. As worded, it would help with reagent gathering (p. 317) for example (which doesn't make much sense to me, but its RAW). It probably doesn't help with determining Drain damage type, but that's something that needs to be clarified.
quentra
Just the fact that this is a chargen legal character who can, in fact, regularly summon F12 spirits is pretty awesome/terrifying. So he's shit at talking and running - that's what magic and a samurai is for.
kerbarian
QUOTE (PriorityKarmaGen @ Jul 28 2013, 11:31 AM) *
A bigger concern is the hail-mary Force 12 spirit (basically unkillable except with Banishing, with an average of 24 dice pools). Any Magic 6 mage can attempt this; a Magic 6 + Summoning 6 mage has a reasonable shot if he spends a point of Edge for Second Chance. The drain is going to be a bitch: probably 8P or 10P, but the mage can probably resist 3 of that for 5P or 7P damage. Not good, but as a hail-mary it's actually not bad. It doesn't even have to be the PCs doing this. Suppose you're a bad guy shaman who's doing some unsavory things. One day, a bunch of guys bust into your compound and start killing your guards. Why not try for a big nasty/invincible spirit to hopefully kill the intruders before they get to your room? Add Invisibility and Stealth and hopefully they won't find you before your spirit turns them into pulp. When you fight any other dude with Ability 6 Skill 6, you're facing a dice pool of 12. When you fight a summoner with Magic 6 Summoning 6, you can face a dice pool of 24. You could say the Shadowrunner team should have taken more precautions and been sneakier, but what other BBEG with Ability 6 Skill 6 would warrant such caution?

My solution? Cap the Force of a summoned spirit at Magic x1 instead of Magic x2, or alternatively let spirits resist summoning with Force x2.

Yeah, that's pretty worrisome, actually. Unpredictable and potentially serious drain is a check on PCs summoning high-force spirits (in theory -- except that the numbers aren't actually that scary if you build for it, per the OP) but not nearly as much of a check on NPCs.

If a strong but vanilla magician (Magic 6, Summoning 6, drain attributes 5 each, 10 boxes physical condition monitor) summons a Force 12 spirit, he'll generally pull it off without dying. Assuming he has 1 point of Edge to spend on the attempt (either for summoning or drain, decided after observing the initial summoning roll), he has a 79% chance of getting 1+ services and being conscious afterwards (9% chance of going down from physical damage). On average, he'll end up with 1.9 services and 4.2 boxes of physical damage.

As a side note, this is what I used to calculate the probabilities, averages, etc. It's python and a bit sloppy -- I can explain or comment it if anyone is interested:

[ Spoiler ]
PriorityKarmaGen
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 07:52 PM) *
Lolwut? No, they don't, but that's roughly ten city blocks off the point. If he's capping out on defense at 2 hits, anyone only ever needs 3 hits to hit him, at which point he goes down like a 5-nuyen hooker.

Sorry, I meant limit, not threshold. Defense tests usually don't have limits, unless you're using it with a skill like Block, Dodge, or Parry.

But they can all do more than one thing. This guy can only do one thing, and curls up in a wheezing ball when asked to do anything else.

If the samurai or the decker have the skills for it, yes. That's my point: Angel Summoner doesn't have any significant capability not directly related to conjuring the biggest spirit he can. Also, Concealment is not a panacea, especially not for this character: with no Sneaking skill, he's defaulting to 1 die (Agility 2 - 1). If he tries to get past anybody with 13 Perception dice or better (not unlikely), they buy a hit and see right through the Concealment; and that's assuming he actually gets a hit on his 1 die. If he rolls a 1, which he'll do roughly one in six times? No Concealment will help him.

The only thing you need to summon high force spirits regularly are Spellcasting 6, Summoning 6 (specialty), Increase Willpower, and high Willpower and Charisma/Logic. Everything else is gravy, especially if you only summon high force spirits for emergency situations. A mage has most of this anyway -- the additional investment needed to summon high force spirits is very small.

In the example character, he has 15 skill points and 9 spells to play around with. He makes a decent face with 8 Cha -- he defaults 7 dice, and 1 skill point gives him 9 dice. Don't forget the character has 6 Edge. If you don't like using Edge for flexibility, swap it with attributes for (EDIT:) 6 more attribute points at the cost of 5 edge. If you need more skills, you can give up (EDIT:) 5 edge and 2 attributes (which probably increases your drain taken by 1) for 18 more skills and 5 points in skill groups.

You can nitpick the example character all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the only way you can turn Attribute 6 Skill 6 into a dice pools of 18-24 with only a small investment is through Summoning.

QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 28 2013, 08:35 PM) *
Yeah, that's pretty worrisome, actually. Unpredictable and potentially serious drain is a check on PCs summoning high-force spirits (in theory -- except that the numbers aren't actually that scary if you build for it, per the OP) but not nearly as much of a check on NPCs.

If a strong but vanilla magician (Magic 6, Summoning 6, drain attributes 5 each, 10 boxes physical condition monitor) summons a Force 12 spirit, he'll generally pull it off without dying. Assuming he has 1 point of Edge to spend on the attempt (either for summoning or drain, decided after observing the initial summoning roll), he has a 79% chance of getting 1+ services and being conscious afterwards (9% chance of going down from physical damage). On average, he'll end up with 1.9 services and 4.2 boxes of physical damage.

And if he wants to up his odds of staying conscious, a Force 9 or 10 spirit is probably "invincible enough".

I just realized that capping Force at Magic x1 is probably not enough, especially if Power Foci increase your Magic stat instead of just adding dice. You could still summon Force 9 spirits with a Force 3 Power Focus. I think solving this problem either requires nerfing the stats of summoned spirits (halving the force or subtracting X from the stats across the board), or increasing the opposition to the Summoning test to Force x2.
kerbarian
QUOTE (PriorityKarmaGen @ Jul 28 2013, 01:58 PM) *
I just realized that capping Force at Magic x1 is probably not enough, especially if Power Foci increase your Magic stat instead of just adding dice. You could still summon Force 9 spirits with a Force 3 Power Focus. I think solving this problem either requires nerfing the stats of summoned spirits (halving the force or subtracting X from the stats across the board), or increasing the opposition to the Summoning test to Force x2.

I think specifying that Power Foci don't affect whether drain is physical or stun would help a lot. Increasing the opposition test to Force x2 makes summoning scary and unreliable even at low levels -- maybe keep the opposition test at Force but change the drain to (Force + spirit hits) instead of (2x spirit hits)? That's a bit more drain on the low end but definitely makes things tougher at the high end.

Unless this makes it into the errata, though, we're just talking about house rules. I really would appreciate some errata with the specific intent of making balance fixes -- here's hoping!
Lionhearted
Did they remove the part where high force spirits tend to use edge to resist being summoned?
Which tends to make most aspiring magi attempting to summon the four horsemen go splat...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jul 28 2013, 04:39 PM) *
Did they remove the part where high force spirits tend to use edge to resist being summoned?
Which tends to make most aspiring magi attempting to summon the four horsemen go splat...

That was not a real rule...
Lionhearted
Hm, it was probably a suggested solution to the aforementioned problem then... Was pretty certain it was listed in SM as an optional rule though, bah... the boundaries between RAW and house rules blurs sometimes
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 28 2013, 03:48 AM) *
Between Body 1, a blitzed immune system, an allergy to pollutants (in other words, 90% of everything he's exposed to, unless he's doing his running exclusively in virgin wilderness where there's nothing to run against), and zero ability to do anything remotely athletic (run, jump, swim, climb, not that any runner has ever had to do any of those things...), he is literally weaker than a kitten. Also, your math is wrong: he doesn't have 19 dice to summon spirits, he has 17: you forgot the -2 penalty for his allergy, which in an urban setting affects him 24/7 and penalizes every single roll he makes other than soak and drain resistance.

That is sort of the nature of the priority system. Something is getting dumped hard. d and E pretty much suck at pretty much everything except race and C is kind of crappy as well for most options. Being a mage means one of your higher options is probably gone, want decent resources well C is higher is gone as well, something whether its skills attributes or both are getting dropped to D or E. Expect a lot of dump stating in this edition, more than 4e by a long shot. And mages with 12 magic skills, don't expect them to have much flexibility outside of magic. Look at the archetypes, the occult investigator gave up all of the sorcery skill group to be mediocre at talking with people and the amazing ability to impersonate her own race.
pragma
QUOTE (kerbarian @ Jul 28 2013, 03:35 PM) *
As a side note, this is what I used to calculate the probabilities, averages, etc. It's python and a bit sloppy -- I can explain or comment it if anyone is interested:

<snip>

Thanks for posting this. I've been itching to write a probability calculator (and dice roller) for SR5 and this will likely save me some time. You're a champion.
PriorityKarmaGen
What do you guys think about a houserule nerfing the power level of spirits? This would only affect the spirits that are summoned; NPC spirits can be adjusted upward (just double their Force).

Abilities: Replace F with F/2 across the board, round down (Edge is now F/4). For example, a Force 5 Spirit of Earth gets 5/2+4 = 6 Body. Minimums are still 1.
Skills: All skills are at F/2+2 rating. (I want to say round up for this to make power jumps finer, but that will be harder to remember.)
Optional Powers: 1 per 6 full points of Force. Optional powers keying off Force now key off Force/2 (round down).

Summoning: Force up to Magic x2. Opposed test: Summoning + Magic [Force] vs. spirit's Force. Drain is (Force/2) + spirit's hits, round up, min 2.

There are four effects:
1) This caps the strongest spirit characters can possibly summon to about half the previous level.
2) If a character wanted to summon a spirit with Force = their Magic in the RAW system, they can still summon a spirit with roughly the same power under this house-ruled system. However, this will be harder and they will need more Summoning/other skill boosts. Since I changed the drain formula, they'll take more drain (if you want them to take the same amount of drain, change the drain formula to Spirit's Hits on the test).
3) Lower-level Spirits are more useful thanks to higher skill ranks.
4) It creates finer divisions in Spirits' power. EDIT: in a perfect world, physical attributes and Magic round down, skills and mental attributes and Essence rounds up. Makes bookkeeping harder though.

The funny thing is here it might STILL be too easy to summon a Force 18 Spirit, which is the equivalent of the RAW Force 9 Spirit. The OP's character has 19 dice and can reliably succeed with Edge. Again, that requires the Power Foci to add to Magic instead of just adding to the skill tests. Changing/clarifying the Power Foci can prevent this.

I'll put some benchmarks below for Force 6 and a Force 12 Spirits below, comparable to a Force ~3 and a Force ~6 Spirit under RAW. The short version is the Force 6 Spirit gets you a competent fighter, comparable to a freshly-generated character who has combat as a secondary focus. It only averages 5 points of drain. A Force 12 Spirit gets you an extra freshly-generated Street Sam, but will average 10 points of drain.

Force 6 benchmark of Beast and Fire spirits:
A Force 6 Spirit would be the lowest Force suitable for combat, thanks to getting their first optional power. The expected drain is 5S (assuming 6 Magic). Anyone with Magic 3+ can summon these. (There seems to be a typo with the Spirit of Beast's Natural Weapon. I'm going to assume the DV is (Force + Str)P by RAW, so (Force/2+Str)P by this houserule.)

A Force 6 Beast Spirit gets 6+2D6 Initiative.
A Force 6 Beast Spirit attacks with 4 (Agility) + 5 (Unarmed Combat) = 9 dice on its Natural Weapon. The DV is 3 (Force/2) + 5 (Str) = 8P.
A Force 6 Beast Spirit has a defense test of 3 (Reaction) + 3 (Intuition) = 6 dice. It resists damage with 5 Body and has Hardened Armor 6 vs. normal attacks. Against normal attacks with 0 AP, it gets 11 dice to resist plus 3 automatic hits.

A Force 6 Fire Spirit gets 9+2D6 Initiative.
A Force 6 Fire Spirit (melee, Energy Aura) attacks with 5 (Agility) + 5 (Unarmed Combat) = 10 dice. The DV is 1 (Str) + 3 (Magic, Energy Aura) = 4P with -3 AP.
A Force 6 Fire Spirit (melee, Engulf) attacks with 5 (Agility) + 5 (Unarmed Combat) = 10 dice. The DV is 6P (Magic x2) with -3 AP.
A Force 6 Fire Spirit (ranged, Elemental Attack) attacks with 5 (Agility) + 5 (Exotic Ranged Wpn) = 10 dice. The DV is 6P (Magic x2) with -3 AP.
A Force 6 Fire Spirit has a defense test of 6 (Reaction) + 4 (Intuition) = 10 dice. It resists damage with 4 Body and has Hardened Armor 6 vs. normal attacks. Against normal attacks with 0 AP, it gets 10 dice to resist plus 3 automatic hits.

Compared with a Force 6 single-target Indirect combat spell, assuming Magic 6, Spellcasting 6:
Drain 3, 12 dice to hit, 6P DV with -6 AP. The hit and AP is better, and this is more immediate assuming a surprise situation where a Spirit hadn't already been summoned. The Spirit can attack more than once and doesn't require LOS. This seems to be roughly even.

Force 12 benchmark of Beast and Fire spirits:
The maximum that can be summoned by a Magic 6 mage, and he will need something beyond Summoning 6 to make this reliable (specialization + a focus could work). The expected drain is 10P.

A Force 12 Beast Spirit gets 12+2D6 Initiative.
A Force 12 Beast Spirit attacks with 7 (Agility) + 8 (Unarmed Combat) = 15 dice on its Natural Weapon. The DV is 6 (Force/2) + 8 (Str) = 14P. It also delivers a 6 power venom with the attack.
A Force 12 Beast Spirit has a defense test of 6 (Reaction) + 6 (Intuition) = 12 dice. It resists damage with 8 Body and has Hardened Armor 12 vs. normal attacks. Against normal attacks with 0 AP, it gets 20 dice to resist plus 6 automatic hits.

A Force 12 Fire Spirit gets 15+2D6 Initiative.
A Force 12 Fire Spirit (melee, Engulf + Energy Aura) attacks with 8 (Agility) + 8 (Unarmed Combat) = 16 dice. The DV is 12 (Magic x2) + 6 (Magic, Energy Aura) = 18P with -6 AP.
A Force 12 Fire Spirit (ranged, Elemental Attack) attacks with 8 (Agility) + 8 (Exotic Ranged Wpn) = 16 dice. The DV is 12P (Magic x2) with -6 AP.
A Force 12 Fire Spirit has a defense test of 9 (Reaction) + 7 (Intuition) = 16 dice. It resists damage with 7 Body and has Hardened Armor 12 vs. normal attacks. Against normal attacks with 0 AP, it gets 19 dice to resist plus 6 automatic hits.

Compared with a Force 12 single-target Indirect combat spell, assuming Magic 6, Spellcasting 6, +3 dice:
Drain 9, 15 dice to hit, 12P DV with -12 AP. Pretty comparable, but the Spirit stays for the whole combat (or soaks lots of damage).
PriorityKarmaGen
Huh, I just realized. By RAW, a summoning a Force 6 Spirit is basically Summon Street Sam. All that cyber and attributes and weapon training is duplicated by Magic 6 Summoning 6. Your own pet Street Sam for only ~2 points of drain!

That sounds balanced.
Grinder
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 29 2013, 01:06 AM) *
That is sort of the nature of the priority system. Something is getting dumped hard. d and E pretty much suck at pretty much everything except race and C is kind of crappy as well for most options. Being a mage means one of your higher options is probably gone, want decent resources well C is higher is gone as well, something whether its skills attributes or both are getting dropped to D or E. Expect a lot of dump stating in this edition, more than 4e by a long shot. And mages with 12 magic skills, don't expect them to have much flexibility outside of magic. Look at the archetypes, the occult investigator gave up all of the sorcery skill group to be mediocre at talking with people and the amazing ability to impersonate her own race.

Character generation in SR5 makes me cry. Getting rud of BP or Karmagen turns out to be an incrrdible stupid move - and for what reason? Just to get back the old school feeling of SR2? sarcastic.gif
xsansara
Just first off: I think this a valid character concept. Depending on the group you can be a very valuable asset. I think you overlooked the Spirit Affinity quality, which gives you extra dice to summoning AND an extra service. Still, if you want to limit yourself to stun drain, I think you need to stick to F6 and save the F12 for the afore-mentioned Hail Mary. The RAW is quite explicit with the extra-dice wording.

I completely overread the section on spending reagents to reset the limit on hits. I was on the verge of dismissing spellcasting, except for utility. Let's take a Stunball F2 with likely no drain, but with 5 reagents making say 4 damage to everyone. Which is a the same cost as a Flash-Bang, with only half the effectiveness. Much better than my earlier calculations... No seriously, this makes Combat Sense, Mind Probe, Increase Reflexes, Swarm (-6 Ini for a bulk of opponents), Mob Control and Mob Mind useful spells again. Especially the last two are now almost overpowered. 140 Nuyen to gain control over a bunch of people at likely no drain... way cooler than a grenade.
Irion
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 29 2013, 07:56 AM) *
Character generation in SR5 makes me cry. Getting rud of BP or Karmagen turns out to be an incrrdible stupid move - and for what reason? Just to get back the old school feeling of SR2? sarcastic.gif

Have to disagree. It is better than BP but worse than Karma.
The point with BP is, that beeing a mage was just to darn cheap. Now you really loose something.

It has still the same problem like the BP system mostly that you are able to get some things cheaper in chargen than in game and the other way round, opening the floodgates for minmaxing.

@PriorityKarmaGen
The problem with just scaling with half force is, that force is used for some stuff. They would still be powerful considering magic...

No sane system as anything scale stronger than linear. Thats the main issue with spirits.

Normaly going from 5 to 6 gives you less benefits then going from 4 to 5. With spirits it is the other way round. With that kind of scaling it is impossible to keep stuff balanced. Either low level spirits will be worth nothing or high level spirts will kick the shit out of you...

The best way to deal with it is to say there are lets say 4-5 levels of spirits. (3-4 for SCs and the last for dragons)
At each level you get a full grown out spirit and with additional successes or by taking addition drain or whatever you get to add stuff to your spirit. So for example an extra hit is a service, one additional power or up to 4 points on non-special attributes(augmented max: force+4). And so on. (So raising force by one would cost you maybe 1 hit and +2 drain)

The four "levels" would be tamplates like:
1: Force 2, few skills, one or two powers
2: Force 5, modarate skills, around four powers
3: Force 8 etc.
4: Force 12 etc.
5: Force 17 etc.
FuelDrop
One houserule I'm considering is that spirits don't roll to resist summoning. They get half their force (rounded up) hits automatically, or force hits if you've pissed them off enough to make them spend edge. Just came up with it so not sure how balanced it is, but it does make powerful spirits harder to summon.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 29 2013, 12:56 AM) *

Without getting too much into this (because I'm not sure what I can say), I can vouch that nostalgia and going back to SR2 days had no bearing on the chargen choice at all.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jul 28 2013, 10:39 PM) *

Spirits, by default, don't get to spend Edge on anything unless their Summoner wills it so by spending a point of his own Edge.

I've never liked the "Spirits use Edge to resist as roll whenever the DM feels like it". Basically, it led to even more mage optimization, bad blood between people at the table, and copious bribing with food/intimate favours.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 29 2013, 08:57 AM) *
Spirits, by default, don't get to spend Edge on anything unless their Summoner wills it so by spending a point of his own Edge.

I've never liked the "Spirits use Edge to resist as roll whenever the DM feels like it". Basically, it led to even more mage optimization, bad blood between people at the table, and copious bribing with food/intimate favours.

Wait... there are groups which will offer me intimate favors as bribes? Where do I find them?!
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 29 2013, 02:06 PM) *
Wait... there are groups which will offer me intimate favors as bribes? Where do I find them?!

In good old depraved Europe nyahnyah.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 29 2013, 08:20 AM) *

And me stuck on the Puritanical side of the Pond. frown.gif
Jhaiisiin
See, there's a downside to us being colonial heathens.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 29 2013, 08:38 AM) *
And me stuck on the Puritanical side of the Pond. frown.gif

http://xkcd.com/592/
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 29 2013, 02:57 PM) *

Tend to get away with it because I adhere to the philosophy that a GM plays with the players, not against then... Thus you only tend to invoke such things when people are taking the proverbial piss "You're summoning a F9 great form air spirit to conceal your shoplifting?"

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 29 2013, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 29 2013, 03:20 PM) *

I can vouch for that bribes range from karma to pizza to cross campaign favours... Takes good self control to GM here nyahnyah.gif
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jul 29 2013, 02:27 PM) *
Tend to get away with it because I adhere to the philosophy that a GM plays with the players, not against then... Thus you only tend to invoke such things when people are taking the proverbial piss "You're summoning a F9 great form air spirit to conceal your shoplifting?"

If I could summon F9 spirits without killing myself, I wouldn't stoop so low as to shoplift.

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jul 29 2013, 02:27 PM) *
I can vouch for that bribes range from karma to pizza to cross campaign favours... Takes good self control to GM here nyahnyah.gif

I have seen everything from food, free drinks, free lessons (for college exams) to physical favours from both genders being offered. No one has ever accepted the latter in our group, but I've heard about one group a friend plays in where it did happen and resulted in considerable drama.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 29 2013, 09:48 AM) *
I have seen everything from food, free drinks, free lessons (for college exams) to physical favours from both genders being offered. No one has ever accepted the latter in our group, but I've heard about one group a friend plays in where it did happen and resulted in considerable drama.

Male troll NPC once offered my male elf character physical favors in exchange for a lower price on the van we were buying.

I declined.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012