Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melee and lots of init passes...bad?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Shev
A bit ago, I realized something about the melee system that bothered me.

If you have a very high init and you use guns, you can shoot at someone every init pass you get. You may use up all your combat dice, but you still have opportunity to do some serious damage.

Now, pretend that you have high init, and you're in melee. You get your extra passes..and the opponent still gets to oppose it with his melee dice.

Shouldn't there be some bonus for being much, much faster to you opponent? I mean, if he actually for some reason has more melee dice than you , you would be the one disadvantaged by attacking continuously. If you go ranged, then you could just keep shooting with no real worries.

Did I miss something here?
Smiley
This has been diiscussed, but i can't remember the result. I think there should be, but...
Entropy Kid
This has been discussed *a lot* and examined from a few different perspectives. To address what you said: with canon rules, yes in the most extreme case someone with a huge initiative, but a skill of one, against someone with an initiative of one, but possessing a huge skill, will be killed on their own, taking damage on attacks they initiated themself.

If you don't like this and you're looking for a house rule, just limit the number of counterattacks by an amount you deem appropriate.

Shouldn't there be some bonus for being much, much faster to you opponent? I mean, if he actually for some reason has more melee dice than you , you would be the one disadvantaged by attacking continuously.
Keep in mind characters with high initiative aren't moving faster, they're reacting faster (yeah, I know the line gets blurred). People have spent a lot of energy arguing over what martial arts are all about, thrown numbers relating to human reaction time at each other, and generally bitched a lot. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of sarcastic and generally useless responses to your question.

I personally don't see what kind of additional advantage "fast" characters are supposed to get since ties go to the attacker.
Arethusa
Personally, I was looking at this recently and I was wondering if giving a TN bonus of the difference in number of combat phases between the two combatants to the faster combatant (and a penalty to the attacker along the same lines) might fix things, or at least go some way to fixing it. I haven't look at any numbers enough to judge, though. Any thoughts?
Smiley
That's good... usually the difference in passes is only one or 2 so it's not too unbalanced. It also represents the difference in speed really well. Not too shabby.
Kakkaraun
I agree, that is a pretty damn nifty rule.
Smiley
QUOTE (Kakkaraun @ Apr 29 2004, 11:55 PM)
I agree, that is a pretty damn nifty rule.

eek.gif I'm astounded. We actualy agree on something... somebody check the weather in Hell for a cold front.
Shev
I like that idea too. Would you apply this bonus for ALL the passes of the quicker char, or only apply it when the defender has no init passes left?
Fahr
meh,

I think someone who is faster and has no or low skill *should* get trounced by the slower reacting master.

call it my Kung-Fu-Master-respect orsomething, but being faster != being effective.

-Mike R
Diesel
I'd go for the latter, if forced to choose.

Personally I'd limit counter-attacks (after you're out of turns) to one per opponent, or three, whichever is lower.
Arethusa
I would apply it to all passes of all characters as a blanket rule. When you attack, you recieve either a TN bonus or penalty dependant on the difference between the number of initiative passes you and your oponent have, and, when defending, you would get the same bonus or penalty.

[edit]

Even under this rule, being faster does not make up for lack of skill.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
This has been discussed *a lot* and examined from a few different perspectives. To address what you said: with canon rules, yes in the most extreme case someone with a huge initiative, but a skill of one, against someone with an initiative of one, but possessing a huge skill, will be killed on their own, taking damage on attacks they initiated themself.

The real problem here is that, under the current rules, someone with a skill of 5 and an infinite initiative still loses to the guy with a skill of 6 and 1 initiative about 70-80% of the time. At the same time, there's no contest at all between two gunslingers: the guy with skill 5 and infinite initiative will beat the guy with 1 initiative and skill 6 in all but the most ludicrous of dice rolls.

I like the idea of limitin a person's ability to counterattack by their number of Initiative Passes; that seems like a good way to go about it.
Smiley
But when two people are that closely matched with a 5 and a 6, the faster one SHOULD win. In hand-to-hand combat, being a speedy SOB counts for a lot.
BitBasher
I like the idea of limitin a person's ability to counterattack by their number of Initiative Passes; that seems like a good way to go about it.
except that this creates a hard line where on one side you can put up a fight, while a single pass later you get massacred with no chance whatsoever.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Arethusa)

It will, actually. I think you're underestimating the impact TN changes have. A one-pass difference, under your rule, will give the faster character TN 3 and the slower one TN 5, assuming no other modifiers. That means that the faster character will score, on average, twice as many successes per die as the slower one. That makes a 3-skill character with a one pass initiative advantage the equal of a slower 6-skill character. Better, actually, because the 3-skill guy won't run out of Combat Pool as quickly.

And a one pass difference is well within the margin of randomness even for characters that have the exact same Reaction and Initiative.

My group's solution to the problem has been to only allow the attacker to actually do damage. If the attacker wins, the defender resists damage normally. If the defender wins, the attacker takes "balance damage"... which basically amounts to having to soak the damage using Strength, and applying any resulting "damage" penalty to their melee tests for the next pass, after which it goes away.

This lets a skilled defender take advantage of winning the dice contest, but still requires them to have actions available to exploit that advantage, which means a less skilled but faster attacker can throw a couple extra attacks without risking getting dismembered by the counterattack. He'll probably lose, but it's worth it for him to take the chance and hope he gets lucky, because he won't get killed if he does lose.

It also gives strong characters a bit of extra advantage in melee.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (BitBasher)
except that this creates a hard line where on one side you can put up a fight, while a single pass later you get massacred with no chance whatsoever.

Which differs how from the similar example of people shooting at each other? In that scenario the guy with infinit initiative wins hands down, almost every time; in fact he would win even if the disparity in skill points had been far greater. Is melee really that different?
A Clockwork Lime
My personal house rule:

You can sacrifice an initiative pass you have available to counterattack. Otherwise, you can only use full defense. The choice is yours with each attack you have to defend against.

This way, a master will still trounce all over a neophyte. The only difference is the neophyte, being able to act and react faster, can initiate more aggressive actions in a shorter period of time. The master is limited to blocking incoming attacks, but unable to get a telling blow in any faster than he normally would. He can choose to counterstrike a single blow (and thus lose any ties) or wait until his initiative pass and both initiate an attack (and thus win any ties) and perform any other action he would normally be able to.

In no way should an unaugmented master (or anyone else for that matter) be able to spontaneously act more quickly than they normally could simply because they have a hoard of people attacking. That's just silly.
BitBasher
Which differs how from the similar example of people shooting at each other? In that scenario the guy with infinit initiative wins hands down, almost every time; in fact he would win even if the disparity in skill points had been far greater. Is melee really that different?
Yes, because typically the TN's for gun battles should be much higher. Typical TN's for ranged shots fall in the 6-10 range while in melee thaey are 4. This typically offset by the fact that melee is opposed.
A Clockwork Lime
Wha...?

Melee combat has the same visibility modifiers as ranged combat does, not to mention Reach, number of opponents, and positioning. Melee TNs should be in the 6-8 range most of the time, too, unless fighting in an open arena with perfect lighting and no one else around except your opponent. And then, only if you have exactly the same amount of Reach.
I Eat Time
QUOTE (Fahr)
meh,

I think someone who is faster and has no or low skill *should* get trounced by the slower reacting master.

call it my Kung-Fu-Master-respect orsomething, but being faster != being effective.

-Mike R

I would think, for this rule, even if the 3-passes-faster skill 1 guy gives a modifier of +2 to the Master and -2 to himself, the Master's still rolling 5 more dice, and five times as much combat pool if he wants. Still pretty fair.

My own personal variation of this rule:

Melee Combat happens. Both players check their Init score. If one beats the other with 2 passes or more (roundabouts 11-20 points), he or she can apply (just like reach) either a +1 modifier to the opponent or a -1 to the attacker. It scales up as well. At one initiative pass difference, there is no bonus. At 2 difference, a +/- 1 Modifier. At three, +/- 2, and so forth.

Here's my rationale. If there's only one initiative pass difference, that's only a difference of (on average) 1/3 of a second. In gunfights, that's a critical amount of time, and in melee it's critical, but not SO critical. Moving 1/3 a second faster than your opponent doesn't let you do all that much, especially if you're not even really MOVING faster, just REACTING faster.

Secondly, the reach-like bonus/penalty. If you can react faster, you can either make it harder for your opponent to hit you with a flurry of blocks mixed in with your attacks, or you can make it easier to do damage by getting "straight to the punch" just a little faster. I imagine it's a little hard to do both at the same time with only a 2/3 second difference.

Opinions? Critiques?
Person 404
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Wha...?

Melee combat has the same visibility modifiers as ranged combat does, not to mention Reach, number of opponents, and positioning. Melee TNs should be in the 6-8 range most of the time, too, unless fighting in an open arena with perfect lighting and no one else around except your opponent. And then, only if you have exactly the same amount of Reach.

Wow, my first post in almost a year, and it's to nitpick that melee has half visibility mods, not the same as ranged. Whoo.
A Clockwork Lime
Right, which is why I put it at 6-8 instead of 6 to 10.
Arethusa
QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Arethusa)

It will, actually. I think you're underestimating the impact TN changes have. A one-pass difference, under your rule, will give the faster character TN 3 and the slower one TN 5, assuming no other modifiers. That means that the faster character will score, on average, twice as many successes per die as the slower one. That makes a 3-skill character with a one pass initiative advantage the equal of a slower 6-skill character. Better, actually, because the 3-skill guy won't run out of Combat Pool as quickly.

And a one pass difference is well within the margin of randomness even for characters that have the exact same Reaction and Initiative.

My group's solution to the problem has been to only allow the attacker to actually do damage. If the attacker wins, the defender resists damage normally. If the defender wins, the attacker takes "balance damage"... which basically amounts to having to soak the damage using Strength, and applying any resulting "damage" penalty to their melee tests for the next pass, after which it goes away.

This lets a skilled defender take advantage of winning the dice contest, but still requires them to have actions available to exploit that advantage, which means a less skilled but faster attacker can throw a couple extra attacks without risking getting dismembered by the counterattack. He'll probably lose, but it's worth it for him to take the chance and hope he gets lucky, because he won't get killed if he does lose.

It also gives strong characters a bit of extra advantage in melee.

That's a good point really. Like I said, I'm not terribly familiar with the melee rules, and I just sort of came up with this on the fly. Given that lack of skill and resultant lack of dice (even with special mechanics to allow for multiple successes on a single die) are the issue, do you think it's feasible to apply the bonus only to the attacked, but no penalty? To some degree, I'd really like to see speed reflected at least somewhat in combat; I just don't want it to be unbalancing.
Person 404
Ok... I guess it has the same visibility modifiers in the sense that the same things affect visibility, sure.
BitBasher
Actually I was primarily referring to cover and movement which typically add 3-9 alone, not counting anything else.
A Clockwork Lime
Right, and melee combat has Reach and Positioning, which are their equivalences even if the modifiers themselves are different.
Arethusa
The modifiers themselves are quite a bit less severe than their ranged counterparts.
A Clockwork Lime
Not enough for a flat 4 each and every time as BitBasher was trying to say. Oy. Whatever. Forget I mentioned anything.
Zazen
I'll chime in here with Bit to say that melee numbers are very often lower. You'll note that Reach and Positioning almost always result in lower numbers, whereas movement and cover never do. In my games they don't hit 6-8 unless there's some major outnumbering.
Dissonance
Heh. I've got a friend who plays a mage (not a Mag Ad. A mage.) who does a pretty good job of taking out most people with a manriki gusari. While blindfolded.
Lilt
It's worth noting that adepts with centering on melee combat can't use centering on melee in a counterattack. This is because they must use a free action to center, but cannot use free actions on other people's passes until the end of their pass.

Thus: Adepts with centering are more powerful attacking in their own phases. It's not a perfect solution, but it's one way the system gives an advantage to people who go first.
A Clockwork Lime
As far as I know, the effects of Centering don't just faulter after your immediate turn; it's only limit is that it only lasts throughout the phase in which the Free Action is taken (MitS p. 73, Using Centering, third paragraph). Since you can also initiate a Free Action during any other character's action, there's nothing stopping you from initiating Centering on a counterattack.
Moon-Hawk
My house rule:
I have found this house-rule to be very effective and resolves most of the issues here.
Assuming the defender is counterattacking and not dodging, then the attacker only needs one success to "hit". (If the defender is dodging, it's exactly as you would expect.) If the attacker has more sucesses, proceed with defender's body test and stage as normal. If the defender has more successes, again proceed to the damage resistance test, but any successes from the counterattack carry over. If the defender scores enough successes on his counterattack to stage the damage to nothing, then the damage resistance test is unneccessary.

This method doesn't allow the slow-skilled guy to own the fast-lame guy, since slow-skilled can't do damage on his counterattack, but neither does it allow the fast-lame guy to whoop the slow-skilled guy, since Mr slow-skilled can counterattack so well he rarely needs to roll body, and when he does he only needs one or two successes anyway, since he's already scored so many on his counterattack.

If you're worried about multiple counterattacks, a good rule is +1 cumulative TN to each counterattack after the first (or third, or skill/2, or whatever).
TinkerGnome
If I were not to like the rules as they are (which I don't terribly mind... if you're not built for melee, for god's sake, don't get into it if you can possibly avoid it... besides which, the faster character almost always gets a positioning advantage over his foe.. if the fight is going badly, back the hell up, don't just stand there and die) I'd probably go with something similar to what Moon-Hawk does.

If the defender has more successes than the attacker, the attack simply misses (basicly making the defender act like he is on full defense lite most of the time).
ShadowGhost
How fast you move doesn't necessarily give you an advantage in melee. I've seen 60-90 year old karate experts beat 20-something-year-olds handily, despite the fact the 20-something-year-olds were in the peak of health, and far faster than the opponent who is 5-6 decades older than they are.

The 60-90 year olds had the advantage of timing.... which is knowing when to move, not how fast to move. When you see an old man stop a 20-year-old's lethal, blindingly fast strike with a two-finger pinch (yes, pinch)... you realize that really fast reflexes do not make you a better fighter.
TinkerGnome
This gets into a discussion of speed vs. reaction. A case could be made that while the old guy might have a slower physical speed, his reaction is through the roof.
Moon-Hawk
And faster reactions DO make you a better fighter than someone with slow reactions, all other things being equal. It's just not the be-all and end-all of combat prowess.
toturi
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
How fast you move doesn't necessarily give you an advantage in melee. I've seen 60-90 year old karate experts beat 20-something-year-olds handily, despite the fact the 20-something-year-olds were in the peak of health, and far faster than the opponent who is 5-6 decades older than they are.

The 60-90 year olds had the advantage of timing.... which is knowing when to move, not how fast to move. When you see an old man stop a 20-year-old's lethal, blindingly fast strike with a two-finger pinch (yes, pinch)... you realize that really fast reflexes do not make you a better fighter.

That is contingent on the fact that the faster kid cannot react while the older man is making his move. How do you defeat someone who views all you moves in slo-mo? If I am able to react so fast as to be able to react to your block/dodge/etc, wouldn't I be able to literally predict your every move?

For example. I throw a punch and you block, but as you are blocking, I see your block and am able to react to it fast enough to change the direction of my punch to hit you.
ShadowGhost
Strikes travel one of two ways, either straight (like a jab), or an arc (like a roundhouse kick).

Once you start a strike, it's almost impossible to change the target of the strike. Try throwing a punch at the midsection of an imaginary target. Then try throwing the same punch to the same location and suddenly go for the "head," and you'll find just how awkward it is to change targets.

I see a lot of posts where people want more twink out of their reaction/initiative boosts than the rules allow. It all comes down to skill level. If you really want to beat the crap out of NPCs, invest in a really high skill.

If you're dumb enough to keep attacking someone in melee combat who has a higher skill than you, you deserve the beating. Just because your initiative is 40+, doesn't mean you're better than someone with an equal skill who's initiative is 6.

High initiative simply allows you more opportunities to attack - they don't make the attacks better in any way.

Once you start twinking this, then next someone is going to demand they should be able to beat up the massive troll with a body of OMG, serious armor, and a low initiative, just because they are 7 times faster than said troll, comparing their 40+ intiative to troll's 6.

"Cause like, I'm so fast that lumbering, slow troll can't even see me move, much less touch me while I can whale away on him and hit him like, 7 times for every slow swing he tries to take at me, so he should automatically like, just die cause I'm soooooo fast, right.?"

Faster does not automatically = better. Laws of physics still apply - the faster you move, the harder it is to stop, and even harder to change direction.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
Faster does not automatically = better. Laws of physics still apply - the faster you move, the harder it is to stop, and even harder to change direction.

Yes, that's right, laws of physics still apply. That guy with an initiative of 1 should not be able to make 200,000 *extra* counterattacks in a Combat Turn, just because his opponent has an initiative 1,000,000 higher than him.

I apologize to the readers of this thread for the sarcasm of that retort, but sometimes sarcasm can only be properly responded to with more sarcasm. Frankly these kinds of remarks are ridiculous and completely out of place in SR; if laws of physics were going to be religously followed then there would be no magic, no metagenes, and *certainly* no shapeshifters. To talk about the total of all human ability to date we would have to limit out universe of discourse to initiatives no higher than 15-17 or so (Reaction of 9-11, init die roll of 6.) You simply cannot apply RL experience to SR concepts like initiative; even the lowliest of Wired 1 sammies may well have initiatives twice that of the fastest human currently in existence.
Kagetenshi
Physics is not discarded, merely extended. Magic=energy=mass. When shapeshifters shift, the extra mass becomes magic, which is then converted back into mass when they shift back.

~J, master of the rectal extraction method
Kakkaraun
You quite possibly just opened an immense can of worms with people who believe that...oh, nevermind.

Personally, from now on, I think I'm going to say you need to spend an action to counterattack. This makes a lot of sense to me.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 30 2004, 04:32 PM)
Yes, that's right, laws of physics still apply. That guy with an initiative of 1 should not be able to make 200,000 *extra* counterattacks in a Combat Turn, just because his opponent has an initiative 1,000,000 higher than him.

This is referring to actually trying to strike a target, not a character's initiative/reaction.

Trying to compare RL to SR doesn't apply as you say, and the reverse is also true. Some game mechanics may be completely unrealistic, but they're there to provide game balance, so that a character with a particular skill, magical ability, or piece of cyberware/bioware doesn't suddenly become overpowering and skew the entire game in their favor.

Melee Combat is an Opposed Test - and Game Balance is why someone with an initiative of 1 can defend themselves against more attacks than they have phases in a initiative Pass.

And don't forget, even the guy with an initiative of only 1 can engage as many opponents in melee combat as he/she wants on their pass, with no restrictions based on skill, reaction or initiative.

Allowing a character with initiative of 42 to endlessly attack a character with initiative of 6 with no drawbacks or chance of ever being hurt would completely skew the game in favor of the character with the high initiative. After all, they have absolutely nothing to lose by attacking a character who is out of actions in an initiative pass, if the defender is not allowed to do damage.

If the creators of Shadowrun wanted characters with high reaction/initiative to be able to pummel characters with low reaction/initiative simply because they are faster/have higher initiative, they would have added rules to that effect to Reaction Enhancers, Boosted Reflexes, Wired Reflexes, Muscle Toner, etc, etc.

As it is, only Enhanced Articulation adds both a reaction bonus (of 1), and 1 extra die to all Physical, Technical, Combat, Build/Repair and non-rigged/datajacked Driving skills.

Otherwise someone with a low initiative who has used their one and only action in an intiative phase shouldn't be able to dodge bullets, resist spells, defend themselves in melee combat or anything else, cause gee, they're just too slow and out of actions.

Consider the second paragraph of Melee Combat on page 120:
There is a change that your character can get damaged even though the action takes place on his or her combat phase. It's the chance you take that your opponent may get a lucky punch in or just be flat-out better than you."

Melee combat is not Attack then Counterattack. It is simply a combat test, and the better fighter usually wins. Tie goes to attacker. That is the main advantage to being the attacker. Defenders always have to beat your successes. That is the disadvantage of being the defender.

Nerbert
I think it goes without saying that anyone with that many attack opportunities, and that low of a combat skill should be doing something besides attacking in melee. I don't think there's anything unbalancing about standing toe to toe with a skilled martial artist and getting your ass kicked because you can't compete. Use one of your wonderful actions to run the hell away and throw a grenade over your shoulder.
Lilt
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
As far as I know, the effects of Centering don't just faulter after your immediate turn; it's only limit is that it only lasts throughout the phase in which the Free Action is taken (MitS p. 73, Using Centering, third paragraph). Since you can also initiate a Free Action during any other character's action, there's nothing stopping you from initiating Centering on a counterattack.

QUOTE (3rd Paragraph @ Free Actions, P105, SR3)
Free actions taken by characters during combat phases other than their own always take place last in the combat phase.
The ordering, with the attack and defence happening simultaniouly before the adept can take his centering action, implies that it is not possible to center in defence.
BitBasher
Also, if you can change the direction of a blow mid swing you're power with said blow drops to a miniscule fraction of it's original force.

Either way, it makes sense one can make multiple counterattacks, because theres a lot less motion involved in a counterattack. When you attack offensively you have to move to the attacker, anticipate an opening, shift body weight and swing. Moving to the attacker and positioning takes time, most of it actually. Defensively you have to see the swing coming, because inherintly swinging opens you up someplace. Once a swing is comitted its fairly easy to exploit assming you're good enough. The attacker is drastically shortening the amount of motion the defender needs to get in a sucessful strike. Theres far more conservation of mementum in a defensive strike then offensive.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Nerbert)
I think it goes without saying that anyone with that many attack opportunities, and that low of a combat skill should be doing something besides attacking in melee. I don't think there's anything unbalancing about standing toe to toe with a skilled martial artist and getting your ass kicked because you can't compete. Use one of your wonderful actions to run the hell away and throw a grenade over your shoulder.

This is of course a valid point, but I do want to say: People are using the example of the extremely slow, extremely skilled person against the extremely fast, extremely lame person in order to make the point, but the problem still exists when the speed difference remains large, but the skill difference is very small. Even a skill difference of one or two leaves the slow defender able to whoop his attacker quite handily.

In reference to my previous optional rule: Yet another variant of that rule (and you'll have to read up the thread and read my suggested rule for this to make sense) is that the defender can still do some damage, but the defenders successes have to start staging up from nothing (or from base damage, as a different option) AFTER they've already staged the attacker's attack down to nothing. I never bothered to implement this option or test it, but in the EXTREME case of mismatched skill and speed it would still allow the slow person to damage the fast one.
TinkerGnome
If you're getting your rear end handed to you buy a much slower combattant, don't keep pressing melee on them. Where's the idea that "He's better but I'm faster so I should be able to kill him in the way I want to even though he's better at it than I am" coming from? The real advantage of having a high initiative in melee is that you can force melee combat instead of having your foe back away and shoot you eighty times or make the inverse decision to retreat from hand-to-hand yourself. Take two characters:

Character A: Unarmed combat 6, initiative 9, unarmed
Character B: Unarmed comabt 5, inititiative 29, Pistols 6 & Heavy Pistol

What in the hell is fast character B doing in melee with slow character A? He jumps him, finds out the hard way that A is a hardcase and should quickly realize "He, this ain't workin'!" When A uses his turn to attack B, this is only reinforced. Now it should be A's job to think "Hey, screw this" and pull out his gun to shoot B.

In my limited experience in hand to hand combat, a very small difference in skill has often made a huge difference in the outcome of the fight. The only time you should get into a melee encounter with someone is when you know you're better than them.
mcb
Wouldn't that be bad role-playing if you know the skill level of the ememy? Shouldn't the game master keep that knowledge from the players until they commited to the fight? You may figure out that the other guy is better than you after he thumps you once or twice.

Kagetenshi
Yes. But after a round of combat, it's usually pretty obvious that melee just isn't working.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012