Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OoC] [SR4] What I want to do when I grow up
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Koekepan
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 22 2013, 10:21 PM) *
Before I start throwing numbers at Hop/Hopper I thought I'd put up some ideas about his backstory to prevent any alarms going off later... biggrin.gif A great deal of this is my own canon from my Emerging games and 2072 / 2075 games on DS...
[ Spoiler ]

The concept I had in mind had some hacking but that seems to be more than adequately covered so I'll probably go for more of the hardware/maglock approach + infiltration.

I see nothing in here to object to. I can work with this background.
Koekepan
Current status update:

Approved PCs:
Colt Seavers
Daiyu Tsai
Rio Akhremenko

People crafting PCs (as far as I know):

Aria
ShadowDragon8685

This will put us at the full complement of 5 PCs in play, assuming approvals.
Approved PCs are welcome to take part in posting.

Please let me know if anything here seems inaccurate.

Continuing on the theme of what can (and cannot) be assumed to translate from standard canon:
Names of sprawl politicians, names and activities of gangs, canon runners and smaller corps can NOT be safely assumed. Feel free to check with me.
ShadowDragon8685
Yay! My character's done.

I got Koekepan's permission to make a Changeling! (He also told me to make this in big flashy letters.)

Anyway, the concept is something that tacks about as close to "sideshow freak" without getting caught in irons as is possible. Her name is Zoé Devois, and she was saddled with the nickname "Liara" at Seetack High. There's a reason for this: she has the Striking Skin, Unusual Hair, and Bioluminescence metagenetic traits, leaving her a pale blue elf with dappled, spotted skin and hair that's a coruscating rainbow which changes as she moves through magnetic fields, and she also looks like she skipped three grades, as she appears to be thirteen.

She's primarily a hacker, with a white-hot commlink and rating 6 programs, and her cracking and computer skills are her best. She can ride a bike and has a sidecar for it, and owns both a pistol (for personal defense away from home) and a battle rifle (for home defense,) and is nominally skilled with both of them. She's an augmented mundane, and I took the hat trick (the full 50 points) for resources, owing to her having an indulgent aunt who's a veteran Lieutenant in the local not-Ancients chapter with a lot of pull and absolutely adores Zoé like a little sister.

She's newly enrolled in Seatack High, perhaps not more than a few days, but she already has a bit of a reputation. On her first day there, she sat at a table claimed by the "Blonde Beauty Society," a clique of a dozen or so popular, beautiful blondes, and they bullied her for it. After she told them off and earned their ire, she moved on to try and make friends with whom she perceived as their polar opposites, the Washouts, but the Washouts perceived her as being a walking personification of the overstimulated, fake nature of the sixth world, and decided to run her off by having a pack of them trail her all day, emitting a sonorous hum and steadfastly refusing to acknowledge her existence in any way except maintaining their presence in her vicinity, both meat and matrix.

This freaked her out so bad that she hauled back and punched one of the Washout babes in the crotch, and evidently Seetack High takes it poorly when you punch a girl in the vagina, even if (a) you are a girl, (b) the girl is engaged in freaking you out, and © you're much, much smaller than she is. They immediately wrote her up, but as early as the next day, all record of the event, from the recordings to the incident reports to witness statements had vanished as if they'd never existed, and Zoé went completely unpunished.

The student body, rightly or wrongly, believes she erased the evidence herself. She's not telling.

For the curious, Here is a link to her short-form character sheet which isn't quite complete as I'm using Chummer, and here is her fill-out of the TJ Character Questionnaire, which offers a look inside her mind at the small, small price of having a lot of OOC knowledge about her.
Koekepan
Zoe Devois is approved, after much wrangling over details and specifics.

Looks as if the team has a hacker.
Twitch_
Looks as if we have two hackers! Glad to have you. We'll show these mouthbreathers what's what. biggrin.gif
Vegas
Hey now... Who are you calling a mouthbreather anyway. biggrin.gif
Koekepan
Hackers geek easy, so the team only really has a hacker if there's a spare. Besides, one looks more riggery than the other.
Vegas
C'mon, it's always geek the Mage first..er I mean, ummmm nothing to see here... *whistles and wanders off*
Twitch_
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 22 2013, 08:49 PM) *
Hackers geek easy, so the team only really has a hacker if there's a spare.

D:
NeVeRLiFt
Looks amazing, awesome works everyone!
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 22 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Zoe Devois is approved, after much wrangling over details and specifics.

The wrangling's not quite done, I still need an answer to the question of whether I can go over Availability 12 on things which are legal for me to own or not. smile.gif

Also, you can get the accented e by.... Well, I'm not sure what it is on your keyboard. On mine, I get it by holding alt and typing 0233 before releasing alt.
Koekepan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 23 2013, 06:32 AM) *
The wrangling's not quite done, I still need an answer to the question of whether I can go over Availability 12 on things which are legal for me to own or not. smile.gif

At this stage, I'm going to say no. You can pursue them in-character, and wave your licence in the face of the authorities, if it ever comes up.
NeVeRLiFt
That Positive Quality for Restricted Gear might work for this.
I'll leave it up to the GM wink.gif

But I've saw many times players will take Restricted Gear Rating 3 which gives them 3 things up to 20 rating.
Most people go for the Titanium bone lacing, Muscle Toner Rating 4 and Suprathyroid Gland. (This is one helluva way to start out a character)
Koekepan
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 23 2013, 06:36 AM) *
That Positive Quality for Restricted Gear might work for this.
I'll leave it up to the GM wink.gif

We reached an amicable resolution, based on her background and how crunchy she is. I mean, might be. Hypothetically. If, you know, she met with unexpected resistance.
ShadowDragon8685
I should take this opportunity to mention the fact that, if anyone fancies some real-time chatting about the game (or real-time conversations in-character,) myself and Koekepan are inhabiting #Shadowrun on irc.sorcery.net, if anyone is interested. Or I suppose we could set up a Skype chat conversation or something, whatever suits everybody.
Twitch_
Sounds like fun. I'll stop by later today, if I can find time.
NeVeRLiFt
Yeah I would be up for that this evening maybe.
ShadowDragon8685 your character sounds so colorful... I tried to give a proper reaction to seeing her.
Aria
Here's a work in progress so I don't miss the boat too badly...still need to write up the 20qus and sort contacts...

<<Hop>>

Let me know if anything needs sorting?!? If toner 2 is a bit high I could get a level of the muscle aug instead... and I've resisted the temptation to take the sensitive system flaw nyahnyah.gif
Koekepan
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 23 2013, 07:33 PM) *
Let me know if anything needs sorting?!? If toner 2 is a bit high I could get a level of the muscle aug instead... and I've resisted the temptation to take the sensitive system flaw nyahnyah.gif

I'm a bit leery of the sister dependent. Could you explain why a high school kid has a dependent? Also, explain the sources/reasons behind the 'ware. Other than that, no really big complaints.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 23 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Yeah I would be up for that this evening maybe.
ShadowDragon8685 your character sounds so colorful... I tried to give a proper reaction to seeing her.

Yeah, she's attention-getting.

On the other hand, next to the pixie-pint glowstick, even Daiyu looks mundane and ordinary. smile.gif

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 23 2013, 12:38 PM) *
I'm a bit leery of the sister dependent. Could you explain why a high school kid has a dependent? Also, explain the sources/reasons behind the 'ware. Other than that, no really big complaints.

With a rating of nuisance, I'd imagine it represents parents who are absent much of the time, relying on Hop to provide much of the care and guidance for the little sister.
Koekepan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 23 2013, 10:21 PM) *
With a rating of nuisance, I'd imagine it represents parents who are absent much of the time, relying on Hop to provide much of the care and guidance for the little sister.

Which would be fine - I just want to be clear on what the explanation is.
Twitch_
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 23 2013, 10:44 AM) *
I should take this opportunity to mention the fact that, if anyone fancies some real-time chatting about the game (or real-time conversations in-character,) myself and Koekepan are inhabiting #Shadowrun on irc.sorcery.net, if anyone is interested. Or I suppose we could set up a Skype chat conversation or something, whatever suits everybody.

I'm having some trouble accessing this; preliminary Googling seems to indicate it doesn't want to play nicely with my IP address. I don't suppose anyone has advice?
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 23 2013, 11:47 PM) *
I'm having some trouble accessing this; preliminary Googling seems to indicate it doesn't want to play nicely with my IP address. I don't suppose anyone has advice?

Depending on which chat client you use, the advice may vary, but let's say you're using pidgin (free multiprotocol chat client) then you just set it up to talk to the server, irc.sorcery.net. If it doesn't even log on to the server, then you probably have a firewall issue. Otherwise, the next step is just to join the #shadowrun channel.
NeVeRLiFt
So do any of our characters know each other?
Any on friendly terms?

Just want to get a sense for how to try and do my posts before making an ass of myself.
Koekepan
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 24 2013, 01:47 AM) *
So do any of our characters know each other?
Any on friendly terms?

Just want to get a sense for how to try and do my posts before making an ass of myself.

You'd all be at least on nodding terms with each other. Tall, personable fellow like Colt would probably be on decent terms with most people. There is no real reason to expect open animosity between the player characters.
Vegas
I'm not against Daiyu being friends with anyone outside of her "group" or at least on speaking terms with a little less disdain. Don't expect smiles and rainbows however nyahnyah.gif
NeVeRLiFt
That's cool I just wanted to get some bearing on it.

We don't have to be friends if you don't want to and we can roleplay it how ever... some people like being snobs and sticking with their cliques. wink.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 23 2013, 05:38 PM) *

It was intended as an attitude rather than the fact that she was dependent on Hop...mess with her you mess with me kind of thing or "us against the school" nyahnyah.gif I've made some tweaks anyone and listed it on my sheet for 0BP - call it walking plot hook if you like biggrin.gif

I did take sensitive system (couldn't resist in the end), but at least I got a shiny datajack! Also got Erased [2] for the Stillwater group watching over their former members and erasing any unfortunate records.

The gene tweaks will have come from Stillwater surgeons...they are big into the transhuman ideal!

Contacts:
His big brother (Cypher), loyalty 3 connect 3, shadowrunner...it's going to be great begging big bro for some help to get a piece of kit!
His girlfriend (Beth / Pulse), loyalty 5 connect 3, Stillwater TM...good for info gathering (and other things! biggrin.gif)

Like our glowy friend, Hop is new on the scene so won't know the others...yet, provided that doesn't prove too nightmarish for our GM?

I'm beginning to think of my opening IC...can I assume that Hop will be (un)fortunate enough to get summoned to the special counselor?

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 23 2013, 09:56 PM) *
Depending on which chat client you use, the advice may vary, but let's say you're using pidgin (free multiprotocol chat client) then you just set it up to talk to the server, irc.sorcery.net. If it doesn't even log on to the server, then you probably have a firewall issue. Otherwise, the next step is just to join the #shadowrun channel.

Being a bit of a luddite myself (Hop'd love me!) I have no real idea how to even begin fathoming all this...assuming I'm not going to miss too much I'll give it a miss, if it's vital to the game I'll see what I can do!

Cheers
ShadowDragon8685
Aria: Why is big brother listed as Loyalty 3?

Loyalty 3 is "just a chummer." It's someone who will stick their neck out a little to get you some goods off the back of a van, it's not someone who will come in gunslinging to pull your ass out of danger.

That seems an awful low Loyalty rating for an actual sibling.
Aria
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 24 2013, 03:14 PM) *
Aria: Why is big brother listed as Loyalty 3?

Loyalty 3 is "just a chummer." It's someone who will stick their neck out a little to get you some goods off the back of a van, it's not someone who will come in gunslinging to pull your ass out of danger.

That seems an awful low Loyalty rating for an actual sibling.

Depends on the sibling?!? biggrin.gif

I was envisaging this as attitude rather than anything else again, Cypher wants Hop to stand on his own and isn't going to come running to pull his ass out of the frying pan! So there's family feeling there equivalent to more than just 'being a chummer' but what he will actually do is much closer to that level of involvement!
Koekepan
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 24 2013, 03:04 PM) *
It was intended as an attitude rather than the fact that she was dependent on Hop...mess with her you mess with me kind of thing or "us against the school" nyahnyah.gif I've made some tweaks anyone and listed it on my sheet for 0BP - call it walking plot hook if you like biggrin.gif

No problem.

I did take sensitive system (couldn't resist in the end), but at least I got a shiny datajack! Also got Erased [2] for the Stillwater group watching over their former members and erasing any unfortunate records.

The gene tweaks will have come from Stillwater surgeons...they are big into the transhuman ideal!

Fair enough - although don't be surprised if that datajack requires some maintenance surgery in a few years, should you live so long.

Contacts:
His big brother (Cypher), loyalty 3 connect 3, shadowrunner...it's going to be great begging big bro for some help to get a piece of kit!
His girlfriend (Beth / Pulse), loyalty 5 connect 3, Stillwater TM...good for info gathering (and other things! biggrin.gif)

Not too bad - although the girlfriend's connection rating seems a bit high.

Like our glowy friend, Hop is new on the scene so won't know the others...yet, provided that doesn't prove too nightmarish for our GM?

I'm beginning to think of my opening IC...can I assume that Hop will be (un)fortunate enough to get summoned to the special counselor?

If you don't know people, you still have plausible reason to compare notes with other pupils and discover that you're in the same boat, whatever that is, and act accordingly. That can serve as an introduction.

Being a bit of a luddite myself (Hop'd love me!) I have no real idea how to even begin fathoming all this...assuming I'm not going to miss too much I'll give it a miss, if it's vital to the game I'll see what I can do!

It is not vital, don't sweat it.
Koekepan
Hop is approved. Hop on in.
NeVeRLiFt
So should everyone add Papa Gotcha as a contact?
Like for example loyalty 1 connect 3 for a free contact from the GM...
Koekepan
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 24 2013, 09:31 PM) *
So should everyone add Papa Gotcha as a contact?
Like for example loyalty 1 connect 3 for a free contact from the GM...

Later, maybe. Not yet.
Vegas
Holy crap you all get posty when a girl's away for a few hours... biggrin.gif
NeVeRLiFt

I don't see the character I made fitting in with this group so I'm gonna go a head and bow out.
Plus their characters and mine don't mesh there would be no reason for me to hangout with or run with them at this rate as he would not like their personalities.
Koekepan
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 25 2013, 07:18 AM) *
I don't see the character I made fitting in with this group so I'm gonna go a head and bow out.
Plus their characters and mine don't mesh there would be no reason for me to hangout with or run with them at this rate as he would not like their personalities.

Sad to see you go, but maybe another time. See you on the boards.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 24 2013, 11:18 PM) *

Wow, uh... Sorry?

Well, sorry to see you go, anyway. I didn't mean to drive Colt off, and I don't think anyone else did, either.
Aria
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 25 2013, 05:18 AM) *

The best teams don't have to like each other! I've hated plenty of my fellow PCs creations, never stopped us working together nyahnyah.gif Colt seems to be our only approximation of the muscle guy at the moment, I'm not sure where Koekepan is going with all this but I'm pretty certain it will involve getting stabbed, beaten up, shot at...all things that would go considerably better in our favour with someone who can dish out some pain in return!

That said, if ya gotta go, ya gotta go smile.gif
Koekepan
You're the muscle now, Hop, if you don't count the drones.

Enjoy your physical supremacy!
Twitch_
Aww. Bye, man.
Vegas
Damn, sorry to see Colt leave. frown.gif

@Aria - taking an unexpected and accidental peek at Hop's aura biggrin.gif
5d6.hits(5) → [5,5,1,4,4] = (2)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4272590/

Feel free to let me know what you want to share wink.gif
Koekepan
I want to emphasise that all players are welcome to ask me background questions, details, anything which helps you play your characters in this environment.
Twitch_
Goodnight рибята! post
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 26 2013, 07:44 AM) *
Goodnight рибята! post

I'm afraid my Russian isn't up to snuff.
Aria
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 25 2013, 09:49 PM) *
Damn, sorry to see Colt leave. frown.gif

@Aria - taking an unexpected and accidental peek at Hop's aura biggrin.gif
5d6.hits(5) → [5,5,1,4,4] = (2)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4272590/

Feel free to let me know what you want to share wink.gif

I don't really have time to post at the weekend, family comes first...that said, astrally Hop is an open book, adept, some geneware and a shiny datajack...but you knew that bit...he's calm enough, vaguely interested in the two girls...
Vegas
No worries Aria smile.gif I get it. Post when you can and the rest of us will have to be patient... the fun of PbP wink.gif
Koekepan
Depending on how this goes, no big surprises are going to happen at this stage. When everyone feels comfortable, we can move to another scene.

This other scene may be Logger's at 4PM, but if anyone has anything else they want to do before then, I'm happy to accommodate. That said, I'll need to hear votes fairly soon, or requests for alternative actions before/during the Logger's meet. If I hear immediate assent, we'll move to Logger's. If I hear incomplete assent by deadline, we move there. If anyone objects and has something else they want done, I'll roll with that.

RL DEADLINE: 29 October 2013

P.S.:

This is not meant to interrupt IC posts in the scene which is currently under way. Those may continue unabated.
Vegas
I don't have anything that has to be done before moving forward...
Twitch_
Apologies for the (misspelled) Russian. I should never be allowed near a computer when I've been drinking. Count me as another vote for jumping ahead to Logger's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012