Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OoC] [SR4] What I want to do when I grow up
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Koekepan
Ladies and gentlemen, I have a planned campaign in which I would like to invite you to participate. However, it is unusual in certain respects.
[ Spoiler ]

The unusual nature of the campaign means there will be some particular stipulations with regard to the characters from inception.
[ Spoiler ]

Should enough people show interest, I shall furnish more particulars concerning the milieu with respect to high school (sub)cultures(s) and background information, to help people make good characters which fit.
[ Spoiler ]

This campaign can work with as few as two players, but is balanced for four. I would like to recommend at least one nascent technologist (riggers included in this), one infiltrator or thieving sort, and one reasonably plausible face.

Feel free to ask questions, if I get nothing by the RL DEADLINE for this post, I'll close the campaign.

RL DEADLINE: 1 November 2013
NeVeRLiFt
I would like this, count me in!
Koekepan
Thank you for the interest, NeVeRLiFt. I should have suggested that people who are interested, also at least give some broad idea of what they'd like to play in such a campaign.
NeVeRLiFt
I guess I would make a sprawl ganger or face type character, some young 21 Jump Street type. wink.gif
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092312/reference
Koekepan
Here is some information on the Southeast Tacoma High local youth subcultures, coming up on the Winter quarter of 2072 (put in terms of current concepts to help potential players understand them):

Blinkenlights
[ Spoiler ]

Clones
[ Spoiler ]

Hollies
[ Spoiler ]

Shadowcrawlers
[ Spoiler ]

Sixers
[ Spoiler ]

Wabbits
[ Spoiler ]

Washouts
[ Spoiler ]

Bear in mind that if you're attending high school, it means that you're not a doomed barrens rat, in social terms, so your active day-to-day involvement with gangs is going to be limited at best. This does not preclude having gang contacts, being on friendly terms with some, or owing them favours.

Also, just because the clones spend all their time getting academic credits in the VR instructional systems does not mean that they get to graduate particularly early. It's still a child minding system for working parents.
Koekepan
A fairly common youth amusement:

Flashclub
[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Possibly useful information for character generation:

FullMatrix
[ Spoiler ]

Implications for character generation:

Characters who want one can get an absolutely bare bones, unupgraded minimal commlink for free. This is regardless of purchased resources.
Koekepan
Recommended contact for at least one participant:

Papa Gotcha
[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Available teen hangout, and source of odd jobs for broke teens:

Cafe Frou-Frou
[ Spoiler ]
Twitch_
This sounds interesting! I'd definitely join, probably as a proto-hacker type. I'll put something together based on what you've got here, if that's not too presumptuous.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 20 2013, 05:00 AM) *
This sounds interesting! I'd definitely join, probably as a proto-hacker type. I'll put something together based on what you've got here, if that's not too presumptuous.

Go right ahead; that's why it's here. Depending on how many people join, I may recommend a certain flexibility of approach. Blending, for example, hacking with rigging, or hacking with infiltration, might be an approach worth considering (in character development, if not in starting points which are obviously constrained).
Koekepan
Since we have two pretty interested players, I'll create the IC thread for this campaign.

Please do NOT post to the IC thread until I approve your character. I will however add some introductory postings to help people get into the groove.
NeVeRLiFt
Here's my character

[ Spoiler ]

[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/2vdjkpg.jpg[/img]
Koekepan
I mostly like it - it tells a coherent story and is consistent with a fairly dedicated shadowcrawler. Just one objection: pistol is a bit high for a kid who definitely isn't regularly shooting legally. Drop that a bit, spread the wealth to a couple of other skills and I think we're good.
NeVeRLiFt
I reduced Pistol skill to 1 and picked up some more skills.
Koekepan
Colt Seavers is approved.
Koekepan
More details on Papa Gotcha for those who might consider him for a contact:

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
Definitely interested. Let me pull together a couple of ideas that popped into my head right away... Either someone who'd fit into the Hollies or the Washouts... I'll try to have something fleshed out by tomorrow.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 21 2013, 06:08 AM) *
Definitely interested. Let me pull together a couple of ideas that popped into my head right away... Either someone who'd fit into the Hollies or the Washouts... I'll try to have something fleshed out by tomorrow.

No problem. Judging by Colt Seavers's sheet, and what Twitch_ suggested, you may want to consider someone with magical ability, to round out that end of things. This could fit into either Washouts or Hollies. The main thing to which you would have to give some thought is a reason why you'd not have already been recruited by a big corp for Magical Career Happiness - and there are various possible reasons. Alternatively, if you're into the drone thing, that may be quite desirable.
Aria
If there's still scope for another PC I might adapt an adept I've got knocking about. Most of my characters tend to be infiltration based.

300BP...are we limited to half in attributes? Any cap on magic rating? Not that there are many points to spare but...
Koekepan
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 21 2013, 02:49 PM) *
If there's still scope for another PC I might adapt an adept I've got knocking about. Most of my characters tend to be infiltration based.

Sure, you can join. You would bring us up to 4 players, if Twitch_ and Vegas join in. We could go as high as 5, I think.

QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 21 2013, 02:49 PM) *
300BP...are we limited to half in attributes? Any cap on magic rating? Not that there are many points to spare but...

Yes, and no, respectively. Yes, you are limited to half in attributes (which simply makes sense from both a physical and mental development point of view). No, I'm not applying any cap on magic rating. If you want to be an absurdly talented physical adept with limited experience, I can roll with that.

Such a PC would probably find a home among the wabbits, washouts or shadowcrawlers, but that's not a rule so much as an observation.
Twitch_
I'm still in. Sorry for the delay, technical problems. I should probably have a character sheet up later today.

eta: Since I had downtime to work on things, I've ended up with two character concepts. I thought maybe I'd post them both and see which Koekepan likes better / fits with what everyone else wants to play. Kosher? (I am the most indecisive; this happens to me a lot. I just want to play all the things.)
Aria
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 21 2013, 03:22 PM) *
Such a PC would probably find a home among the wabbits, washouts or shadowcrawlers, but that's not a rule so much as an observation.

I was actually thinking of the Sixers as I've toyed with transhumanist themes in various games that I GM. Will try and get something up before the end of the week! May be more freerunner based, still toying with ideas... a splash of hacking too as you can be anything you want in the matrix!
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 21 2013, 05:31 PM) *
I'm still in. Sorry for the delay, technical problems. I should probably have a character sheet up later today.

eta: Since I had downtime to work on things, I've ended up with two character concepts. I thought maybe I'd post them both and see which Koekepan likes better / fits with what everyone else wants to play. Kosher? (I am the most indecisive; this happens to me a lot. I just want to play all the things.)

OK, here's what I propose:

Put your sheets into a single post behind spoiler tags, and I will select the best fit, or send you back for adjustments. Then, once approved, you can jump in.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 21 2013, 06:35 PM) *
I was actually thinking of the Sixers as I've toyed with transhumanist themes in various games that I GM. Will try and get something up before the end of the week! May be more freerunner based, still toying with ideas... a splash of hacking too as you can be anything you want in the matrix!

Sixers is certainly fine and fits the milieu and concept as stated. Draw up the stats and let's have a look.
Vegas
Thinking on this more, I'm leaning towards my thieving/outcast latent mage vs. my face/con which it sounds like we might already have covered? Or I can lean a little more con/social with her too... don't want to overlap other characters TOO much wink.gif
Koekepan
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 21 2013, 08:42 PM) *
Thinking on this more, I'm leaning towards my thieving/outcast latent mage vs. my face/con which it sounds like we might already have covered? Or I can lean a little more con/social with her too... don't want to overlap other characters TOO much wink.gif

Latent mage sounds as if it has the least overlap right now, but maybe a little first aid on the side? Nobody complains about hoop saving.
Twitch_
That solves my indecision nicely, cheers. Character Option Two was a mage/face type, but it sounds like that's being covered, so I'll go with my original hacker/rigger. Sorry for the waffling. (Unrelated: high five from the MSP 'sprawl, Vegas!) Here's a first draft of Hex.

Vitals
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Lifestyles ==
[ Spoiler ]

Gear
[ Spoiler ]

Tell me if there's anything you want changed! I have backstory reasons behind the 'ware and most of her gear, which I'll have typed up in a bit, but if you want anything knocked down I can do some rearranging.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 22 2013, 01:13 AM) *
Tell me if there's anything you want changed! I have backstory reasons behind the 'ware and most of her gear, which I'll have typed up in a bit, but if you want anything knocked down I can do some rearranging.

I would like to see more about the 'ware, and the relationship with her parents, why a girl whose bones are still growing has that kind of 'ware, and also the hacking could use a trim.

That said, no problems with the overall concept.
Twitch_
I'll knock Hacking down a point or two and put the points in other skills. As for the 'ware: just ten years ago her father was a quickly rising star at Evo, and little Rio was a corp brat who scored exceptionally high on her Matrix aptitude tests. Willing to do anything to impress his transhumanist overlords, her father put her down for some fairly cutting-edge 'ware intended to capitalize on her potential. (Brainware only, which is why she has an encephalon but no basic implanted comm or datajack; nothing that involves the actual skull until she's reached full growth.) Heartless brown-nosing or slightly overzealous attempt to give his child every opportunity? Probably a bit of both, but at least Rio got some nice wires out of it. (Her mother couldn't care less, for the record. This is also the reason for Records on File with Evo.)
Koekepan
QUOTE (Twitch_ @ Oct 22 2013, 02:20 AM) *
I'll knock Hacking down a point or two and put the points in other skills. As for the 'ware: just ten years ago her father was a quickly rising star at Evo, and little Rio was a corp brat who scored exceptionally high on her Matrix aptitude tests. Willing to do anything to impress his transhumanist overlords, her father put her down for some fairly cutting-edge 'ware intended to capitalize on her potential. (Brainware only, which is why she has an encephalon but no basic implanted comm or datajack; nothing that involves the actual skull until she's reached full growth.) Heartless brown-nosing or slightly overzealous attempt to give his child every opportunity? Probably a bit of both, but at least Rio got some nice wires out of it. (Her mother couldn't care less, for the record. This is also the reason for Records on File with Evo.)

OK, I'll buy it.

Take Hacking down two points, and I'll make a special note that PROPERTY OF EVO is tattooed on her soul.
Twitch_
Cheers! Here's the less Hacky version.

Vitals
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Lifestyles ==
[ Spoiler ]

Gear
[ Spoiler ]
Koekepan
Rio Akhremenko is approved.
Vegas
Here's my submission. Not so much latent-awakened as awakened and not knowing as much per se. wink.gif

Daiyu Tsai

Basics: (30bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes: (160bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts: (11bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Skills: (72bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledges: (18 free)
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities: (0 bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Spells (24 bp)
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle + Gear: (3 bp) (13,005 of 15,000 spent)
[ Spoiler ]
Twitch_
I have to admit, 'Addiction: Asia' threw me for a moment.
Vegas
I try wink.gif
Koekepan
I like Daiyu Tsai - a coherent character concept. A couple of things I'd like to tweak: push her age up a little bit. 17 would be good. I'd like to also see at least one point in the spirit wrangling/summoning end of the skillset. With her obvious penchant for altered frames of mind, I can't see her not getting some involvement there.
NeVeRLiFt
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 21 2013, 08:45 PM) *
I try wink.gif

Did you mean the drug Aisa, it's on pg 73 in the SR4a book.
Koekepan
Colt and Rio: adding notes about parents/guardians/living circumstances would be appreciated, but not mandatory. Just a little home flavour.
NeVeRLiFt
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 21 2013, 11:24 PM) *
Colt and Rio: adding notes about parents/guardians/living circumstances would be appreciated, but not mandatory. Just a little home flavour.

I had just posted a little bit ago fleshing out his home and where he lives.
Colt never knew his father and he lives with his mother, or I can say she passed away from some illness... I didn't mention this in his Lifestyle, but I can if you want me to.
Colt is 19 so he could live by himself now.
Koekepan
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 22 2013, 06:30 AM) *
I had just posted a little bit ago fleshing out his home and where he lives.
Colt never knew his father and his mother is dead she passed away from some illness... I didn't mention this in his Lifestyle, but I can if you want me to.

No, this post is fine as context.
Vegas
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Oct 21 2013, 10:37 PM) *
I like Daiyu Tsai - a coherent character concept. A couple of things I'd like to tweak: push her age up a little bit. 17 would be good. I'd like to also see at least one point in the spirit wrangling/summoning end of the skillset. With her obvious penchant for altered frames of mind, I can't see her not getting some involvement there.

Thanks,

I wanted to keep her "young" for plausible deniability about her awakened status... would you be cool with splitting the difference and aiming for 16?

Juggling points now... will edit the original CS post vs. posting it again if that's cool.
Edited: Dropped Counterspelling to 1, added Summoning at 1 biggrin.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (NeVeRLiFt @ Oct 21 2013, 10:49 PM) *
Did you mean the drug Aisa, it's on pg 73 in the SR4a book.

Yes, yes I did biggrin.gif
Koekepan
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 22 2013, 11:43 AM) *
Thanks,

I wanted to keep her "young" for plausible deniability about her awakened status... would you be cool with splitting the difference and aiming for 16?

Juggling points now... will edit the original CS post vs. posting it again if that's cool.
Edited: Dropped Counterspelling to 1, added Summoning at 1 biggrin.gif

16 is OK. Editing the original post is cool. With those modifications, Daiyu Tsai is approved.
ShadowDragon8685
Hey, Koekepan, did you get my PM? I have a bit of an interest in this game, but I'd need to have a pow-wow with you before I even start generating the character I have in mind.
Vegas
Rock on. Any rhyme or reason to kicking off posting, or just jump in with both feet?
ShadowDragon8685
Koekepan, I've got a question.

Since our characters are theoretically Dependents of someone else (assuming they aren't teenagers of 18 and over and on their own,) do we have to pay for the Lifestyles out of BP/do we get any kind of BP-free allowance or other financial support from the adults who are nominally in these character's lives?

Also, how much of Seattle 2072 can we actually take for granted? Obviously not the gang and criminality stuff, 'cause you don't trust those of us versed in the setting's lore not to have teenagers who effectively have JackPoint logins in terms of knowing the dirty laundry of the setting, but stuff about the civilian aspects of life and all?

[e]Actually, on that note, how much would it cost to have a read-only JackPoint login? smile.gif
Aria
Before I start throwing numbers at Hop/Hopper I thought I'd put up some ideas about his backstory to prevent any alarms going off later... biggrin.gif A great deal of this is my own canon from my Emerging games and 2072 / 2075 games on DS...
[ Spoiler ]

The concept I had in mind had some hacking but that seems to be more than adequately covered so I'll probably go for more of the hardware/maglock approach + infiltration.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Vegas @ Oct 22 2013, 08:00 PM) *
Rock on. Any rhyme or reason to kicking off posting, or just jump in with both feet?

Once approved, jump on in and we'll take it from there.
Koekepan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 22 2013, 09:04 PM) *
Koekepan, I've got a question.

Since our characters are theoretically Dependents of someone else (assuming they aren't teenagers of 18 and over and on their own,) do we have to pay for the Lifestyles out of BP/do we get any kind of BP-free allowance or other financial support from the adults who are nominally in these character's lives?

You're essentially purchasing what amounts to your family circumstances, so yes, you do have to pay the BP. You can use the rules in Runner's Companion for Living with Parents and so on.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 22 2013, 09:04 PM) *
Also, how much of Seattle 2072 can we actually take for granted? Obviously not the gang and criminality stuff, 'cause you don't trust those of us versed in the setting's lore not to have teenagers who effectively have JackPoint logins in terms of knowing the dirty laundry of the setting, but stuff about the civilian aspects of life and all?

[e]Actually, on that note, how much would it cost to have a read-only JackPoint login? smile.gif

You can take the street map largely for granted, the names of megacorps, landmarks, the overall frame of history and so on. I'm always available to be quizzed on what's in or out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012