Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [IC] - Shadows of the CAS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lobo0705
Nick & Lobo: Thursday April 7, 2072 (20:52:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Satisfied that there seems to be no mention of their mishap all over the news, Lobo responds to Artemis.

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo ]: I'm fine for now, I think it best we eat after we take care of this. >>

Amazing. I can't understand half of what Nick says and he is still more enjoyable to talk to.

"As much fun as it is to sit and chat about our respective sports teams, let's discuss what happens next. We've got one thing going for us, and that is these guys are trained killers. If they were, we would be screwed, because we don't have time to do this thoroughly - you know the standard operating procedure, sleep deprivation, hypothermia, water boarding. It would be better if we had a mage, those guys can pluck the thoughts right out of your head."

He moves forward to the edge of his chair. "The best thing I think we can do is try to scare the girl. I don't particularly want to have to start slicing people open and breaking bones, but if we can convince her I will, and add in a few screams from her 'partner', then I think we can get her to talk without having to get bloody. All I need you or Artemis to do is scream convincingly. Think you can do that?"
Mach_Ten
Artemis, Nick & Lobo: Thursday April 7, 2072 (21:52:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Driving around the block at a slow pace before doubling back and pulling into the driveway behind the van,
Artemis does his best to look for would be assassins and plain clothes surveillance teams
Seeing none he kills the engine and steps out of the car.

The gentle plinking noise of the metals cooling under the hood accompanies the sounds of the neighbourhood making it all feel very, suburban.
... Time to check on the kids i guess..
He wanders up to the door and pings the teams comm before entering, package in arm

<<@ ◊ Lobo [ ♣ Artemis ]: Is there a secret knock ? Or do i just shout "don't shoot, its the Star! " ? >>

The screen door slams against the frame and clatters noisily
"Hiiii Honey ! ... I'm hooome!"
He calls out
"Aaaaw not meatloaf again?"
Umidori
Nick & Lobo: Thursday April 7, 2072 (20:52:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

"Standard operating procedure, huh? Wouldn't know nothing 'bout it. No-how know-how, seen? Where I come from, you want info, you ask, pay, or boot for it. A wiz to "pluck" it? Only ever seen that drek in shows."

With a series of cracks and pops, Nick stretches his arms out in front of him fitfully. He chews on a particular thought before continuing.

"Screamin' ain't exactly my thing. I mean, geez, my throat's dried out as it is from chawin' 'bout brawl. I mean, sure, I guess me or Arty could do in a pinch, but how we know wh'kinda voice t'use? That chump in there a tenor, you know? Cuz' I don't. But why even fake? Don' wanna get bloody, s'cool, I got prods, man. Zap zap, y'know? Loosens tongues fine. No mess if you don't g'nuts."

The kid jerks his head toward the van outside and shrugs.

"You're th'pro here, though. I'll belt if I gotta."

A horrid blast of noise that makes Nick start in surprise and a ringing clown-like voice following after indicate Artemis has just arrived on scene. Nick steals a quick look at a somewhat iritated Lobo and grins to himself.

"Where'd you dig up this hairball anyway?"

~Umi
Lobo0705
Nick, Lobo, and Artemis: Thursday April 7, 2072 (20:52:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

"I believe that Artemis is here as some sort of karmic punishment for what I've done, in this life and all my previous ones."

Lobo opens the door, and takes the packages from Artemis, shaking his head at his teammate's silliness.

"Ok, for right now, stay in the living room, I've got this. Artemis, stay quiet for now, I need these guys in a certain state of mind, and your joking around in this particular situation is counter-productive."

Lobo walks to the room with the girl, taking a moment to compose himself, and moves into the room. The girl is awake by now, and has discovered the futility of trying to break the plasteel restraints that bind her hands together. Without making eye contact, he puts on the gloves, cracks his knuckles, and picks her up like a rag doll and deposits her on the bed - making sure she will still be able to see what he is doing. He then slowly unwraps two of the dropcloths and lays them out on the floor. He then leaves the room, and comes back inside with a chair from the kitchen.

He rips a strip of duct tape off, removes the rag from her mouth, and applies the tape across her face, silencing her once more. With quick economical motions, he removes her clothing, leaving her naked. He then puts her in the chair, and duct tapes here feet together and then to the chair itself.

He makes eye contact then for the first time, looking at the woman and saying, in a deadpan voice, "I'm going to talk to your friend first, and ask him some questions. I'm then going to come back and talk to you. If you tell me the truth, you may walk out of here. If not, then use your imagination as to what will happen next."

Lobo leaves the room and closes the door. "Well, time to talk to the other one. Nick, may I borrow your stun baton?"
Umidori
Nick, Lobo, and Artemis: Thursday April 7, 2072 (20:52:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

"Got two. Hang on."

With a strange air of non-effort, Nick slips out to the van and back so quick it's like he never left the room. He returns carrying a pair of stun sticks in one hand and a hefty electrician's toolbox in the other. His voice is quiet, detached and indifferent, but his eyes are more oddly visible now, his gaze hard and level.

He hands over the batons and gently taps the toolbox with his free hand. "Figured we might need to improvise somethin'. This place got a toaster?" With a queer look he mimes slipping the still smoldering cigarette out from behind his ear and putting it out on a hypothetical something. A somewhat reproachful gaze from Lobo stops him short, but Nick just shrugs his shoulders, sets the box on the floor, and crouches down to sort through his tools.

"Well, whatever. You do yer thing, boss-man, Arty and I'll sit tight and quiet. Ain't that right, Samson?" With a half-lip grin, he clucks his tongue against his cheek and begins softly humming a tuneless melody.

~Umi
Mach_Ten
Nick, Lobo, and Artemis: Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:55:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Artemis takes a single horrified look at the preparations being laid out and the girls clothing dumped unceremoniously on the dining table,
"in all honesty gentlemen, I have a feeling you 'work' better alone"
then turns towards the hallway, brushing past Nick with a grim face.
..You knew, and said nothing... you knew !..

"if you need Samson.... I'll be in the car, Not getting sidetracked from the job that pays, Ciao!"
With that he opens the door and vanishes down the driveway, the screen door crashing shut again.
.. Leave Man mountain and baby faced killer to their fun .. I've been on the receiving end too many times to be in there ! ..
A cold shiver shoots up his spine, reminding him of another piece of hereditary wisdom,
which he promptly grimaces at and beeps the BMW open.

Stepping nonchalantly down the drive he is careful not to act overly suspicious, only glancing around casually at the evening street scene.
..What the Frag AM I checking for ? ... everyone round here is strange to me... idiot..
he chides himself and pops the trunk,
wrapped in a stolen jacket are several weapons and comm units, of which Artemis grabs an armful of comms and closes the trunk.

The drivers door swings open with ease and he relaxes into the seat, tossing the comms onto the passenger chair
..not the most ergonomic working environment, but it beats enduring the screams..

<< @PILOT [ ] : Initiate privacy, Set Opacity @60%, proximity sensors to twenty feet, activate alarm, >>

The windows adjust their polarization until they are a dull smoke colour, the outside world unable to see inside, yet leaving the pilot a clear view around.
Artemis takes moment to send another quick message
<<@ Autowired [ Artemis ]: Hey chummer, you gone DarkNet on me ? I'm just gonna do some digging on some acquired decks, here's the address, bring pizza,, DO NOT go in the front door! I'm in the beemer >>

Returning to the task at hand
"okaaay, lets see what we have here then"
He takes up the first disabled comm and a set of pocket 'drivers and begins removing the casing.
Umidori
Nick, Lobo, and Artemis: Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:55:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

The hirsute one seems miffed at something beyond the kid's ken, leaving Nick to stare after him and mutter aloud. "What's his problem? Split ends?"

He turns back to sorting his tools and shakes his head. Tossing some channellocks and sidecutters back into the jumbled box, he straightens up and slinks toward what looks like the kitchen."Anythin' to drink here'round? If m'gonna work the chops they'll want wettin'."

He finds a glass in a cupboard and fills it in the sink. At the first sip he nearly chokes, eyes widening in surprise and admiration. "Muther Fragger, that goes down smooth! S'like slicks of pure mountain springwater, all Alpine maidens scattering rose petals n'drek, virtuoso piano enforcing in the rear, snooty benjies copping yacht wheels with chop-grins and blow-dries. What, they filter this biz with nano r'something?"

Lobo gapes at him incredulously as Nick holds the glass up to the light and taps it, listening appreciatively to the chiming crystal. The ork starts to open his mouth in reply, but immediately thinks better of it.

"This is too weird, man. It's completely see through. No color to it at all." Lobo shakes his head bemusedly. I sure meet some weirdos in this job.

~Umi
phlapjack77
Autowired : Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:02:36) : Matt's doss, Invading the Matrix

<<@ Artemis [ Autowired ]: ###AUTOMATED REPLY: Sorry chummer, unless it's life or death, I'm busy right now. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able. ###>>

Huh. This tripleCrown sounds drek-hot. Maybe I'll come back to that after I have the rest of what I'm here for. Need some data on the security guys, Lobo said...

Sales & Accounting
Research & Development
Personnel & Payroll <<
Shipping & Receiving
Software Programming
Lobo0705

As Artemis leaves in a huff, hair streaming behind him, Lobo shakes his head. Well, I suppose that was my fault, probably looks bad from the outside as well.

He takes a moment to send a message to him, and then laughs at the childlike pleasure that Nick takes in something as simple as drinking water that is actually mostly water.

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo]: Artemis, you wound me. I'm not actually going to hurt her, I just need her to believe I'm going to hurt her. With her partner, you know, the one who shot at us and tried to at best incapacitate us, and at worst kill us? With him, I may have to give him a couple of shocks, but no permanent damage. Despite my rough exterior, I'm not an animal." ? >>

"Ok Nick, be back in a little bit."

Lobo walks into the room with the unconscious man, and repeats the same process he did with the woman. Drop cloths, clothing, duct tape. Check, check, check. He presses the buttons on the stun batons to generate an arc of electricity between the two of them, grins at the man evilly, and says, "Now then, let's discuss what happened earlier."

Mach_Ten
<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo]: Artemis, you wound me. I'm not actually going to hurt her, I just need her to believe I'm going to hurt her. With her partner, you know, the one who shot at us and tried to at best incapacitate us, and at worst kill us? With him, I may have to give him a couple of shocks, but no permanent damage. Despite my rough exterior, I'm not an animal." ? >>

<<@ ◊ Lobo [ ♣ Artemis ]: Understood! I just have an Empathic overload when I'm around that situation, I can say I have been on the receiving end and lived to tell...
case of mistaken identity as it turns out.
And yes, I shall put aside any preconceived ideas of you and the team,
I admit I Am HAPPILY surprised that you can form full sentences and perform admirably in social situations... not bad for an ambulatory mountain side !
but regardless, I shall make myself busy for the duration... have ...fun?.. >>
Lobo0705

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo] I wouldn't call it fun, no. However, I need to make sure this was just a random act of violence, and not a setup. Call me paranoid, but I've been burned in the past. >>

After coaxing the information from the young ganger, Lobo removes a strip of duct tape and puts it over his mouth.

"Now I'm going to go ask your partner in there the same questions. You had better hope she gives the same answers."

He puts down the batons, and before he leaves, he pops his 'spur, and slices a shallow cut into the ganger's hand, not deep, but enough to get some blood, which he smears on his gloves and 'spur. He then duct tapes the wound closed.

Lobo leaves the room, and crosses to the woman's room, opening the door and closing it behind him.

Allowing some of the blood to drip on the drop cloths, he moves to the young woman and says, "Your partner told his side of the story, eventually, let's hear yours. For your sake I hope you don't take as long to tell it."
LordArcana
Nick, Lobo : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Allowing some of the blood to drip on the drop cloths, Lobo moves to the young woman and says, "Your partner told his side of the story, eventually, let's hear yours. For your sake I hope you don't take as long to tell it."

The naked girl looks up at Lobo with a mix of shame and hate as he pulls the ripped towel out of her mouth expecting her to just spill her guts.

"We were just there trying to hack into Sysco Foods and get some real stuff. Not everyone can afford to eat EVERY day. If you hurt my brother I swear on my life I will kill you." The girl spits as she growls her threat at the Ork.

Aremis : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

After spending a few minutes fiddling around with the gang members commlinks, Artemis manages to break the encryption and hack into the first three devices without much trouble. It appears these gangers are more flash than substance. The gear is relatively higher end including their programs but judging from their activity history the previous owners have done very little in the way of actual hacking. Artemis grows more and more satisfied with the conclusion that is unfolding before him but he also hasn't found any evidence of the hack on his car yet. One last 'link.

Cracking the encryption on the last link he dives into his brute force hacking. Everything is smooth so far. Artemis manages to finally penetrate the firewall gaining access to the hackers electronic life's blood. This is definitely the culprits 'link. Immediately Artemis begins searching through the recent activity and finds his evidence of the hack on his former Jackrabbit. Just in that moment Artemis realizes that this has been just a little too easy and his hack wasn't as clean as he thought. A system alarm was triggered but it was silent, buying the systems Black IC a chance to counter the invaders maneuvers. Three programs suddenly leap forward from background operations.
LordArcana
Autowired : Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:02:48) : Matt's doss, Invading the Matrix

Satisfied with what he has been finding in the ABER system so far Matt moves into the Personnel sub-directory. Currently there are Fifty-eight listed employees working at the facility which are listed by their respective departments. Security is listed separate as having twelve payed employees. It takes a little digging around t find but it appears the four founding members of the company each get paid Two Hundred Thousand nuyen.gif per yearly salary broken down into just over Three Thousand Eight Hundred Forty-Six nuyen.gif per week.

Going a little deeper into the data Matt is also able to find the scheduling of the employees.

Office Employees: 8am - 4:30pm (4 owners, 7 office workers)
Shift 1: 6am - 2:30pm (27 facility employees)
Shift 2: 2pm - 10:30pm (20 facility employees)

Security 1: 5am - 1:30pm (2 Security)
Security 2: 1pm - 9:30pm (2 Security)
Security 3: 9pm - 5:30am (4 Security)
* Judging from the number of persons on a 24 hours security shift it looks like they have a floating schedule based on a 4 day rotation.
Lobo0705

Keeping his surprise at the girl's courage in the face of her situation, Lobo moves around her slowly.

"Girl, you're driving around in a luxury car, carrying thousands of nuyen worth of high tech gear and you are complaining you can't afford to eat? Sing a different tune, sister."

He completes his circle and stops in front of her, and then pushes her chair back so that it falls over, slamming her on the ground. He stands over her and puts a massive foot on her throat, slowly pressing down, cutting off oxygen to the brain. "As far as your threat? You are in a very bad position to make any."

After letting her suffocate for a little over a minute, he releases the pressure, letting her slowly recover and gasp for air. "Hurts, doesn't it? That isn't any kind of fun, but for you, that is as fun as this is going to get - and if you keep giving me attitude, it won't ever be that fun again. Are we clear?"

"Now, let's try that again. Why were you there, and why did you come after us?"
Umidori

Nick finishes his water and tops off the glass for another swig. Lobo's been busy for a short while now bringing the boot, so Nick's slipped into his usual comfortable stand-by mode. He considers flipping through the trideo for something half decent, but he's not sure if Lobo'd appreciate him touching anything or making any discernable noise while he "chats" with their friends.

With nothing much else to do, Nick spreads himself out across the couch and relaxes. He gives a sigh of contentment as his seat gently envelops and caresses him. Could get real use'ta this. S'like cush s'preme, all memory foam padding 'n drek. Gotta get me one.

A lightbulb goes on in the back of his head. Why not this one? He mulls it over for a minute, wondering at the feasibility of the nick. Address in hand, van big enough to carry it, place not normally lived in... but what about neighbors and cameras? He springs upright and starts casually casing the place, peering out of windows, checking the doors, and tapping the walls lightly with his ear pressed to them.

~Umi
LordArcana
Lobo : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

The girl gasps for a breath of air after Lobo removes his foot from her throat. Any tiny appearance of fear is replaced with anger and obvious hatred as he twists and contorts herself in a feeble attempt to break free from her bonds.

"If you are going to kill me for telling the truth then go ahead and get it over with. I'm done answering your questions. If the truth isn't what you want to hear then just tell me what you want me to say. Keep torturing me all you want. You are just killing yourself." Her rant starts off as a very angry yell but turns to a private laugh at her last statement.

Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

With the fleeting thought in his mind of taking the couch from the condo, Nick begins casing the place for security features he may have to eventually bypass. There are maglocks with keypad entry on both the main door as well as the front sliding glass door. The windows appear to have electronic locks tied into a central security system which Nick finds the central control box near the kitchenette area. As he makes his way over to the box to get a model number a glint of something shiny catches his attention on the table where the gangers belongings have been piled. A small silver disc about the size of a thumbnail appears to have slipped out of one of the pants pockets. Focusing on the item for a moment a faint flashing red light can be seen reflecting rest of the clothing. FRAG! A fraggin' transponder!

Artemis : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Realizing this was an ambush Artemis can do little at first other than panic as several small windows of executing code open... run... then close. The Black IC isn't a concern at the moment since he safely performed his hack without any direct brain connections, but the two agent programs are certainly up to no good. Fight or flight? Is there anything on this link worth fighting for?
Umidori
Nick, Lobo : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:56:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Nick's head swims with cold fear and searing anger as the probable gravity of their situation sinks in. Fortunately, his instincts take over for a moment - his feet race him to the front door and his hands scrabble to engage as many locks as they can find.

Clarity of mind comes flying back to him a moment later in the main room, finding himself crouched against the wall with one of his trusty truncheons in hand, the silently flashing transponder in the other. Frosty, bub, dun' getcha'self killed. Get eyes, mebbe got a minute, mebbe more. Can get to the pops'll be wiz.

He edges over to the sliding glass doors, inhales sharply, and - half expecting to be blown away by machine gun fire - peers out into the night.

~Umi
Lobo0705

Lobo reaches down and duct tapes the woman's mouth shut again, and leaves the room, wiping the blood from his hands. She's the one in cuffs and tied up and she creeps me out.

As he reaches the living room, he sees Nick crouching by the door. Oh great, now what?

"Is there something you want to tell me?" he asks, as he follows Nick's lead and keeps out of eyeline of any windows. He draws his gun and checks ammo count and safety as a matter of habit.
Umidori

Nick doesn't even bother to turn his gaze, but holds the transponder up for Lobo to see, still sweeping the exterior with his gaze for signs of... something. Anything. He doesn't know, but this feels wrong.

"Tell you this - this is theirs, and means theirs know we're here. Or maybe just that they're here, actually. And they might be here." He tears his eyes away long enough to steal a glance at Lobo's expression of complete non-comprehension. He snaps his pupils back onto the mixed darkness and hisses in frustration.

The kid furrows his brow, takes a second to think about phrasing, then shakes the transponder menacingly at the Ork. "This is a transponder. It was in the gear on the table. Which means their friends will be looking for it, them, and us. ¿Comprende?" He tenses, shushing his already silent companion and needlessly gesturing for him to hold still, and squints through the window glare and inadequate exterior lighting at what might possibly be absolutely nothing, either that or very bad news.

"Found it just now, locked th'door, and currently making sure we ain't got company yet." Nick's expression is a strange amalgamation of extremes of emotion, buried under a mountain of concentration and detachment. He looks equal parts nervous and excited, but also somehow vaguely bored and slightly manic at the same time. It all sits oddly on his face, in sharp contrast to his steady crouch, his purposeful movements, and his rhythymic, almost relaxed breathing.

~Umi
Lobo0705

Artemis hasn't said anything in about 5 minutes, so I have to assume he is dead or unconscious.

Lobo assesses the situation, and says "I'm going to check the back door, be back in a second." As he moves out of the room, he says over his shoulder, "Do you have anything besides a drum stick to fight with?"

With swift, precise movements, he ejects the clip with EX explosive ammo, slaps in the one with the gel rounds, and moves to the girl's room. A quick double tap to the chest renders her senseless, the silenced weapon making now noise. Two strides brings him to the other room, where he makes sure that her brother joins her in unconsciousness.

Within a second the stun rounds are ejected and a new magazine slapped in, and Lobo gets to the back door and locks it. He steps to the window, and checks outside furtively.

LordArcana
Artemis : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:57:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Full blown panic sets in when Artemis hard cuts the power to the hackers commlink. Oh Fraaag. Just to make sure his link wasn't hacked he reboots it paying extra special attention to the boot up sequence making sure nothing looks out of place. Nothing seems out of order but just to be sure Artemis loads his Analyze program and that is when he realizes the drek is about to begin. The program registers as resources running on the system but is completely unresponsive. Nothing seems to "unstick" the program.

Nick, Lobo : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:57:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Slightly irritated at the blank look on Lobo's face at his explanation of the current situation, he turns back to the window looking for anything that might stand out. As he pans back and forth across the parking lot he can see a very slight flickering of light through the shaded windows of the BMW. Quickly turning back to look at the Ork to see if his words have sunk in yet he can't help but notice that the once slow flashing red light has quickened in its pulse rate and turned yellow in color. Good or bad? DREK! This has got to be bad.

Lobo makes his way over to the window joining Nick in peaking out on either side of the curtain. The runners watch in horror as a Hyundai Shin-Hyung pulls into the far end of the parking lot in a serious hurry. The headlights cut out as the vehicle slows down to a crawl heading in the direction of the condo.
Umidori

"Isn't that your ride?" Almost as soon as he's said it, Nick realizes he's not made himself clearly understood, and tries again. "Not the new one, that one. Looks like someone inside it?" He points at the BMW and it's vague luminescence. Lobo's pained face seems to just scream the name 'Artemis'.

Nick grunts in frustration and stares for a second longer. Then he drops the transponder on the floor and crushes it beneath his heel. With a sudden purposeful look, he rolls his shoulder, tears off his brawlcap, and taps away furiously at his commlink.

A jittering shimmer of refraction plays across his jumpsuit and suddenly the kid seems to fade mostly from view. The commlink in his hand shuts itself off and he tucks it and the cap into what looks an awful lot like thin air. Then he fits his bandana over his nose, pulls up a concealed hood from under the back of his collar, and shunts open the sliding door just enough to slip out into the night, seeming to vanish entirely.

A ghostly voice trails back softly. "Get my prods ready."

~Umi
Lobo0705

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo] Artemis, if you are still in the BMW, you may want to get out of there, quickly and quietly. We've got company. >>

"Where are you going?" He whispers to Nick.

Reaching into his coat pocket, Lobo takes out a FLash Pak and sets it in the window, ready to go off and blind his opponents. He then moves to a different window, and begins to take aim at the car, with ready to activate the Flash Pak remotely.
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:57:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

To a casual observer watching from inside the house, it appears that the left rear door of the van swings halfway open of it's own accord. Muffled sounds of shifting containers, squeaking hinges, stiff-trundling drawers, and finally a vaguely audible snap or two drift from the softly lit opening before a shadow flickers across it and the van once again shuts itself.

After pocketing a couple of flashbangs and a pair of gloves, Nick sticks his cloaked head back into the house, expecting to find Lobo and his requested stun batons at the ready. Neither is obviously present, however, and time is running short. He slips back outside and starts planning his ambush.

High ground or heavy cover? He peers around in the darkness to judge whether either idea is even feasible with this terrain. He also looks in Artemis' direction with something like genuine concern. Cmon fuzzbutt, g'outta there! If I've to come save yerrass... That'd mean skulking out into the open, which to Nick doesn't sound like fun.

~Umi
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:57:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Nick tears his eyes away from the BMW and takes a split second to weigh his options one last time.

Frag it! Up we go!

With surprising speed he's darting back through the apartment, his leaping stride carrying him rapidly and wildly up the staircase to the second floor. Propelling himself upward off the banister with his arms, and swinging full tilt onto the landing, he checks his sprint just enough to grab his bearings and make a mad dash for the balcony window.

It's secured, but only just, easy enough to unlatch and slip through, shutting it behind. Stooping in the balcony's half-shadow, the kid cranes his gaze toward the roof to gauge the climb while he carefully works his hands into his gloves. He steps onto the railing, tenses into a crouch, and lets fly.

He's nabbed the roof edge in two places, his gecko gloves conferring an unnaturally tenacious grip, and has started to haul himself up when he makes the mistake of turning to survey the scene playing out below him. Already waist high onto the rooftop, he makes a blind reach for his next handhold and grasps high, clutching with all his weight at empty air. Failing to find purchase, he tumbles back over the edge, dangling from one arm with a look of stunned horror.

~Umi
LordArcana
Artemis : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:57:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo] Artemis, if you are still in the BMW, you may want to get out of there, quickly and quietly. We've got company. >>

Artemis sits in the driver seat of the BMW so focused on the task at hand that he nearly misses the new arrival at the apartment complex. A glint of light reflected off the vehicle from the neighboring parking area catches his attention at the last minute which leaves him little opportunity to take action, none at all if that intention would be to leave the vehicle undetected. He just sits and watches in a second wave of panic as the Hyundai pulls closer.

<<@Lobo:[Artemis]: DREK!>>
LordArcana
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:03) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Slowly the Hyundai Shin-Hyung creeps its way closer to the building the runners have holed up in. Lobo watches from the front window of the apartment, Nick from the rooftop and Artemis from the comfort of his BMW as the sporty little vehicle pulls up in front of the BMW. There is a pause which seems like an eternity before the reverse lights come on and the Hyundai backs into a curb-side parking spot in front of the middle apartment, not the alcove parking spot.

The passenger door opens and out steps a flamboyant cyber-goth dressed woman. She takes a moment to adjust her clothing before shutting the door and walking around front of the vehicle over to the driver side of the car. About half way through her trip the driver side door opens and out steps a relatively tall Asian man wearing a very expensive looking stylish suit and sunglasses. At night even!

The woman steps up to the man hooking her arm to his and walking up driveway to the sidewalk. The lights on the Shin-Hyung flash momentarily as the anti-theft system is activated drawing the runners attention for a split second. Brushing off the distraction everyone's focus goes back to the couple walking towards the building. The man reaches into the inner chest pocket of his suit as the cyber-goth dressed woman looks up at the man at her side and with a nearly maniacal smirk across her face freely speaks something in Japanese.

<<If you speak Japanese>>
[ Spoiler ]

Scene Map
Lobo0705
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:03) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Lobo watches the car pull in and the two exit the vehicle. Taking aim at the man, he waits to see what their next move will be.
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:03) : Mallard Creek Apartments, Rooftop

Times like this, wish I'da followed that damn dog!

Nick breathes, relaxes, and then hoists hard with his right arm.

He's waist-up again, and this time he keeps his focus and latches onto the edge of a jutting roof tile with his left hand. It's an uncomfortable spot, but it's enough purchase for him to shift his weight, haul his legs up onto the rooftop sideways, and carefully peel his gloves from their contact points. He resists the urge to look down again before he gets to his feet and ducks behind the far angle of the rooftop.

With his footing now (relatively) solid, he shimmies the gloves off his fingers and stuffs them away somewhere, grabbing up a flashbang and a baton in the same motion. He slinks forward a bit to get a better look at the newcomers, and despite a little voice in the back of his head telling him to wait just a moment longer, he unconsciously starts judging the trajectory for a sudden lob.

Wuz'with the ice-col' stroll? They know we're here (or they're here?), whyn't blitz?

His mind flips over the recent past in rapid, backwards, confused succession, and he grimaces.

Drek! The bug! They know we know cuz gone geeked. (Or they know they know?) Whichever, these choobs think they got our - or their - number. So's ice for the drekheads they know, or on the ones they don't?

A confident smirk suddenly spreads over Nick's face and he laughs quietly into his elbow. So they don't know we know that they know they're here 'n are here, 'n think they don't know that they're here neither, no? Dat's ice priceless."

He twirls the baton languidly, fingers twitching with smug anticipation. Funny how so many drekheads never 'spect death from above.

~Umi
LordArcana
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:06) : Mallard Creek Apartments

The man in the suit removes his hand from the inner pocket of his suit coat appearing to have drawn nothing forth. The couple stops just a step or two into the grass in front of the runners apartment when the man makes a few gestures in the air as if working through something in AR. The woman looks up at the much taller man this time her sadistic and maniacal look turning childish as if to pout.

[ Spoiler ]

The woman makes a sound that can only be described as a childish giggle, something you would expect from a girl much younger looking than you suspect she is. She turns to face the Asian man taking his arm with both of hers giving him a very affectionate cuddle. Using his free hand, the man takes her gently by the chin tilting her head back enough that he leans down and kisses her on the lips.

[ Spoiler ]

The couple takes another step toward the front door of the runners apartment leaving them about six meters away from the building.
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:06) : Mallard Creek Apartments, Rooftop

Nick has no clue what his unsuspecting guests are saying, and he doesn't much care. The little voice in the back of his head is still belting at him to wait, that there might be some mistake somewhere, but he cheekily ignores it, starts mouthing the lyrics to his favorite synthrash single, and pulls the pin.

The grenade arcs in a beautiful little lob, curving upwards as it leaves his palm, spinning slightly off axis for a moment as it levels out, and then plunging down with a soft percussive ting, half-bouncing into a neat little roll that bumps it softly against the cybergoth's heel.

"...bite like a bulldog / clap like a thunderbolt..."

~Umi
LordArcana
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:09) : Mallard Creek Apartments

As the scene begins Artemis is sitting in the driver seat of his newly acquired BMW while Lobo is standing at the dining room window with his pistol at the ready and a flash-pak set in the sliding window one room away. Nick is on the roof of the building about to lob a grenade onto the people below.

The unsuspecting couple continues their advance towards the door to the runners apartment with purpose. Wanting to gain the surprise advantage on the couple, Nick gently lobs his flash-bang grenade in their direction. As he watches the grenade tumble and fall through the air, Nick and Lobo can see light blink and reflect on the yard from what they can only guess is the apartment immediately next door. Having no idea what is about to happen the couple down below looks over towards the blinking light.

The grenade tumbles slowly through the air and Nick watches with glee calculating its trajectory centimeter by centimeter as it gets closer to its target. Lobo watches from his window and can see the grenade plummet down from above. His first instinct says its going to hit the Asian man, but with its pre-planned spin, falls right in between the couple gently coming to a stop as it rests against the massive heels of the cyber-goth dressed woman. Waiting for the actual detonation, Lobo brings his Savalette up putting the Asian man in his sights.

The Asian man catches a glimpse of the grenade as it passes through his distracted field of vision. His head follows it down watching as it hits the ground coming to a rest between him and his sexual servant. Full panic sets into the tall suit wearing Asian man as he bear hugs the much smaller woman and lunges to the side in a desperate attempt to get away from the exploding device. They make it only a few steps before they are enveloped in a concussive blast of glittering lights.

The force of the flash-bang can barely be felt by Lobo who watches as the couple tries to lunge out of the way of the blast with failed results. Taking this opportunity he fires two rounds from his heavy pistol. The first round causes the dining room window to explode sending shards to razor sharp glass everywhere. The bullet still finds its mark hitting the man on his right side in the ribs. The second bullet hits the man close to the first just a little closer to his back. Combined with the explosion of the grenade the Asian man topples down to the ground pinning the woman beneath him.
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:09) : Mallard Creek Apartments, Rooftop

Peering out from his perch just enough to see his targets sprawled out in a field of broken glass, Nick finds himself highly confused.

S'a right crackaboom, sure, but never known a wind' blown! N' down n'out? Weird.

~Umi
LordArcana
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:12) : Mallard Creek Apartments (Outside Apartment 103)

In the blink of an eye, hell has rained down on the two completely unsuspecting swingers. Trapped beneath the unconscious weight of her lover and master, the cyber-goth dressed girl calls out in short labored gasps for help that Lobo and Nick can only barely make out. Artemis opens the driver door to the BMW using the rest of its armored body as protection as he brings his room sweeper to the ready should he need to resort to such savagery. As Nick hangs over the edge of the roof wondering how in the sixth-world the front window of their apartment exploded outward he notices the front door to the middle apartment close and a moment later the lights inside go out.
Lobo0705
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:12) : Mallard Creek Apartments (Outside Apartment 103)

As the Goth girl slumps unconscious from the gel round, Lobo belatedly realizes he has no way to communicate with Nick apart from shouting. Drek, wish I had known he was going to throw a grenade!

Picking up his spent casings, Lobo begins moving with purpose through the apartment to remove anything that could link them to the location. He grabs a garbage bag from the kitchen and starts putting all of the ganger's things inside.

<<@ ♣ Artemis [◊ Lobo] Artemis, get your ass in the house now and help me clear this up - and put a hat on for Christ's sake - the neighbors will be able to pick your hair out of a lineup at 50 paces. If you see Nick, tell him to get in here too. >>
Umidori
Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:30) : Mallard Creek Apartments

After taking a moment to survey the scene on the ground, Nick is satisfied that no one else needs blown up for the moment. He stows his gear and carefully makes his way back inside via the second floor balcony. Drek, wish Lobo'd gotten my damn prods...

Coming down the staircase at a muted trot, he spots the ork gathering up the gear from the table, presumably in a effort to make ready to leave. He slinks past without a word and slips outside, stooping into a crouch. Carefully sneaking over to his most recent victims, he snatches up the grenade casing lying next to them and begins rifling through their pockets for traces of filthy lucre.

Cripes, best b'worth my while, bozos. Dunno w'uh Arty-Lo' did piss you fraggers off, but if'n you come at me, I make sure t'get mine.

~Umi
LordArcana
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:33) : Mallard Creek Apartments (Outside Apartment 103)

Getting the message from Lobo and seeing that the two strangers appear to be “taken care of”, Artemis tucks the room-sweeper back under the driver seat of the BMW and heads into the apartment passing Nick at the front door. Inside the apartment Lobo relies on his training and experience to do a thorough cleaning removing all traces that the runners were there.

Stepping out the front door Nick is just in time to feel a soft cool mist on his face. Looking up at the streetlights he can see a very fine trickle of rain has returned to the area. Quickly he recovers his tools and makes his way over to the strangers kneeling down to do a search of their pockets. Upon closer examination the man's suit appears to be a top-of-the-line Zoè Executive Line with a Second Skin liner. Searching the man Nick finds his commlink and a gold credstick in his pants pockets.

Curiosity gets the better of him so Nick looks at the mans hands but it appears he is holding nothing. Checking the inside pocket of the mans suit he discovers a small textured light weight metal container. The container appears to be a snuff-box with a powerful magnetic latch keeping it closed. Inside the container are several BB sized bright green pills.
LordArcana
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:39) : Mallard Creek Apartments (Outside Apartment 103)

Satisfied he has recovered everything worthwhile from the suit, Nick turns his focus to the Hyundai. As he approaches the vehicle he notices the all to familiar tell tale chirp of an anti-theft system with the vocal component deactivated. A small slow pulsing red light on the dash of the vehicle confirms his suspicion. There are ways to get around the system but one little mistake would most likely result in a serious jolt that would likely render him unconscious. With risk often times come rewards. Its not like he hasn't done this before...

As he skulks there near the vehicle, protected by the guise of a hood and chameleon coating polymers, movement catches Nicks attention drawing it away from the vehicle. He looks up back over to the middle apartment where he can just barely make out a humanoid figure in the window. With only a moment to view the figure Nick doesn't get much detail before the figure scrambles back away from the glass and the window polarizes. Did that person see me?

Inside the apartment Artemis watches as Lobo moves through the area like an Ork on a mission wiping down things that may have been touched and removing anything that gives the impression the runners were there. The first thing that races through his mind is... where are the bodies?
Umidori
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:39) : Mallard Creek Apartments (Outside Apartment 103)

Nick instinctively puts the vehicle between himself and the window, and chews his tongue. Gon'assume they saw, mebbe m'babe Ruth spazzed a 'mo. Odds fair jus' peeped a glitched shadow - I'd leg it, their shoes.

He skulks away through the gloom back toward the apartment, keeping low and behind cover where possible. When he's confident he's broken the worst sightlines, he starts fiddling with his freshly stolen commlink, browsing for the vehicle access code he suspects must be stored in its memory. As he slips back into the apartment, the light of the commlink casting strange half-shadow halos around his distorted silhouette, he lowers his bandana and clucks his tongue at Lobo and Artemis by way of greeting, causing them to whirl around in surprise.

"Ready to bounce? Just grabbin' my prods 'n wires 'n I'm green, chummers." Lobo's irritated glare checks Nick's fish-eating grin for a brief moment, but it doesn't break his stride as he rapidly clears the room and steps into the hallway. He pauses to cover up again, then checks first one room and then the other, finally finding his stun batons on the floor near the unconscious male ganger. He snaps them both up in one hand and closes the door behind him.

Sleep tight, drekheads!

~Umi
Lobo0705
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:39) : Mallard Creek Apartments

This situation is all messed up, and we haven't even started the job yet.

Turning to Nick and Artemis, he says "We need to get out of here, and quickly. I figure we have a couple of minutes before the cops or corp sec shows up, and we've got 4 unconscious bodies to deal with."
LordArcana
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:42) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Artemis stands there by the door watching as Lobo and Nick seem to be working on a project they just haven't filled him in on. After a moment the reality of the situation sinks in and Artemis timidly raises his hand partially with an honestly vacant look on his face. The unexpected action draws the attention of both Nick and Lobo who each stop what they were doing for a brief moment to let visual sink in to their brains. What the hell is he doing? Not waiting for anyone to acknowledge him Artemis finally chimes in.

"Forgive me if this sounds ignorant but... WHAT THE FRAG JUST HAPPENED?! Who the hell were those people?! This might be... I don't know... SLIGHTLY contradictory to keeping a low profile for this job. What the hell are we supposed to do with four unconscious people?"
Umidori
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:42) : Mallard Creek Apartments

"Heap 'em inna pile and take funny pictures? I'unno. Who the frag cares? Let's book."

Nick turns to catch Lobo's eye and pauses. "Unless we should take 'em with? Figured let the Bronze handle the mess, but mebbe that's inconvenient for ya?"

~Umi
Lobo0705
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:42) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Lobo shakes his head. "We can't leave them here, they know our faces and security will be sure to question them. Let's throw them back in the van and head to Reedy Creek Park. We can dump them in an alley somewhere and be on our way. " He picks up a ganger in each arm, his muscles straining slightly.

"Artemis, meet us at the Little Rock Deli - we can discuss where to go from here - and try and get in touch with the other member of our group - you seem to know him, and I haven't heard drek out of him for the last couple hours."

He moves to the sliding door to get the bodies in the van, "Nick, can you open the door?"
Umidori
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:58:55) : Mallard Creek Apartments

Nick stoops to grab up his toolbox from the floor, casts a quick glance around the place for anything else of his, and jets after Lobo to help load their passengers and his extraneous gear. Once things are settled, he climbs into the front of the van and turns the engine over.

As the vehicle's onboard computer drowsily comes to life, Nick puts his new-plundered commlink to bed and decides to revive his own instead. He messes with it just long enough to disengage his camouflage, then starts fiddling with the obnoxiously cheerful autopilot system. "The local time is... Ten... Fifty-Nine... PM, Thursda- / Welcome to your GMC Bulldog digital owner's manua- / Oprima el numero uno para Inglés- / What is love? Baby, don't hurt me! Don't hurt me! No m- / Which wonderful location would you like to visit today?"

Nick groans, visibly disgusted, and enters their destination with a series of grunts. A peal of chirpy, semi-musical fanfare signifies that the vehicle has accepted the address and is ready to speed off like a giant tortoise.

~Umi
Umidori
Thursday April 7, 2072 (22:59:00) : Mallard Creek Apartments

A deliberate pair of thumps against the back wall of the cab signifies that Lobo is set to go, so Nick shifts out of park, guides the van out off the parking lot, and sets them on their way. Relinquishing control to the autopilot, he takes a moment to browse a few color options before settling on a fresh skin for the van. Once they've hit a somewhat deserted stretch of road, he keys in the proper command and the vehicle's skin swiftly blends from one color scheme to the next.

His commlink suddenly pipes up with an unexpected message. <<@ † Nick [◊ Lobo]: We need to stop off at the following address before anything else.>> Nick shrugs and punches in the new coordinates, leaving the van to the pick the best route while he starts fiddling with the radio.

Nothin' like a decently clean scram. That 'n chow after the pit? Proper awe, could down a mountain. Reminds me...

He reaches for the credstick he snatched a couple minutes ago and curiously slots it into his commlink. He wipes a smudge off the screen to make sure he hasn't misread the tally and whistles long and appreciatively. Cheddar enough for bacon n' then some! He withdraws the credstick, twirls it between his fingers gaily, gives it a big ol' loving smooch, and slips it away into one of his more secure pockets.

~Umi
Lobo0705
Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:25:00) Sandy Creek Park and the Little Rock Deli

Lobo rides alone in the back with the two unconscious gangers. He looks around the interior of the van, trying to see if he can glean any more information about Nick, but the vehicle is surprisingly spartan.

Although it is awkward given the confines of the van and the handcuffs, he takes a couple of minutes of jouncing around in the back putting the girl's clothes back on.

When his internal GPS indicates they are approaching the destination, he signals to Nick to stop. The van slides to a halt behind an old abandoned supermarket, and Lobo steps out of the back. He finds one of the old dumpsters, opens the lid, and then dumps each unconscious body in, retrieving his restraints first.

He then moves to the front of the van and punches in the address of the deli into the autonav, leaning back in his chair, and closing his eyes for a couple minutes, thinking of how easy life used to be.

Certainly a quieter ride here than with Artemis After his brief reverie, he can hear the a suborbital come screeching in for a landing nearby. The proximity of the airport alerts him they are near the deli even before the autonav does.

Lobo remains quiet until they pull into the parking lot, exit the vehicle, and enter the deli, spotting Artemis already at a table, chatting up a bored waitress. Lobo sits down heavily, the chair creaking under his weight, and kicks a chair out for Nick to sit in.

Without looking at the menu, Lobo says, "I'll take a pastrami on rye, extra mustard please. Thanks, hon."

With a look of relief, the waitress politely stops Artemis's stream-of-consciousness method of ordering a sandwich and takes Lobo's order. "How 'bout you sweetie?" she asks Nick.
Umidori
Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:25:00) Sandy Creek Park and the Little Rock Deli

Nick seems taken aback at being spoken to, shuffling his feet and turning away while pulling down the brim of his cap. "I... uh... m'nee'a min'..." The waitress cranes her ear a little forward, obviously not having heard, but still smiling with polite expectation. Nick stiffens, fumblingly grabs up a menu, and hiding behind it like a shield pipes up weakly with "I'm gonna need a minute." She nods, somewhat bemused, and bustles off before Artemis can get his jaw back into gear.

An awkward moment passes in which Nick seems reluctant to sit down for some reason, but with his attention given over completely to the menu, his instinctual laziness eventually gets the better of him and he unthinkingly stradles the chair and takes his seat. His nose is still buried in a jumble of choices when the waitress check back to check on him.

"Okay... uhh... a gyro... and uhh... a reuben... oh, two hot dogs, no ketchup, double mustard... a large sweet tea, no ice... and, mmm, three slices of strawberry shortcake." He lapses into silence as the waitress finishes writing out his order, then slides his menu across the table to avoid having to hand it to her. Artemis arches an eyebrow, clears his throat, and cheerfully makes sure the waitress knows they need separate checks.

~Umi
LordArcana
Artemis : Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:02:18) : en Route to Little Rock Deli

<<@Artemis:[Burn-out]: Real fraggin' funny! Actually I'm sure it would have been funny to have seen. The drek-storm of a message from Butch wasn't all that funny. I guess what will be funny for me is telling you that Butch will be holding the remainder of your payment from this job. Oh and have a great evening!>>
LordArcana
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:28:30) : Little Rock Deli near the Lockheed Corporate Airport

The runners finally take a moment to sit still and relax just a smidgen for the first time all night. Burn-out said this was supposed to be easy. Easy or not the job still needs to get done. It seems like only seconds have passed when the waitress returns with your food, each individually wrapped in foil-backed wax paper.

“I hope you guys save some room for a slice of grandma's Pecan Pie.” With a hand on Nick's shoulder she gives a wink to Artemis and smiles at Lobo before returning to the kitchen. Everyone dives into their meals when...

<<@Artemis, Lobo, Egg :[Autowired]: Good news Chumms, I took my time and worked some magic with the ABER node. Looks like we got ourselves some info to use and possibly even a little extra pay-dirt to go along with it. WAIT A MINUTE! You guys stopped off for sandwiches and you didn’t ask me if I wanted anything?! Why of course Artemis I'll happily take a large Reuben with extra 'crout and Russian dressing. Put some pickles on that too please. Want me to meet you guys there or should we meet up someplace else?>>

Artemis coughs out a few small bits of his PB&J when he reads the tag list of Matt's message.

“We never told him about Egg leaving and the new guy we picked up. No offense my good man Nick. You see we have another member of this team but he is not with us here at the moment. His name is Autowired and he is a hacker for all need to know purposes. He could also build you a new car out of a piece of driftwood if need-be, but suffice it to say we tasked him with checking out the cyber side of ABER and it looks like he just finished.”

Artemis turns and looks to Nick.

“Would you mind if I share your contact info with him? Get you subscribed to our comms?”
Umidori
Artemis, Lobo, Nick : Thursday April 7, 2072 (23:28:30) : Little Rock Deli near the Lockheed Corporate Airport

"Hol'on."

As quiet as the kid can be at times, eatting is apparantly not such a time. It's not entirely clear where it all is going as mouthful after schlorpy mouthful just kind of vanish into the unceasing motion of his jaws. He polishes off the delectibly messy reuben and takes a moment to suck down half his tea in one go before stopping to breathe, belch, and stretch out his limbs in every direction in appreciative adulation of the meal.

"If B-O's vouchin', yeah, can slip m'digits. But tell me... this "Otto" guy..." He snaps up his second hotdog and snarfs up the nearest end, rather than the whole thing at once. "Why i'nt he play sho'fur? Na'nough drif'wood?" Nick lights up briefly with silent laughter, still chewing noisily, and shakes his head before swallowing.

"But nah, s'cool s'long was busy doin' summat useful, neh?" He stops eatting just long enough to cast a meaningful glance at his team, then it's straight back into his half finished gyro, trailing thick globs of tzoytziki, eyes closed in gastronomic bliss.

~Umi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012