Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cross bows are screwy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fahr
true, but an arrow doesn't kill by causing tissue damage, it kills by causeing excessive bleeding, to make a faster arrow kill better, you want the most blade surface that will still allow the arrow to penetrate all the way through the target.

you really can't compare an arrow to a bullet, cause they are totally different killing mechanisms. a bullet kills with shockwaves. an arrow bleeds you out. a bullet can kill you instantly by destroying important tissue, and arrow by severing important nerves/arteries.

there is a point where a faster arrow doesn't gain you much.

in hunting deer, you want the fastest arrow possible, so that the deer does not have time to move out of the way before the arrow hits them. at 30 yards, a 280fps bow gives an alert deer time to move out of the way before the arrow hits them (per bowhunter magazine about a year ago) improve that arrow speed to 320fps and the arrow hits before the deer has time to react to the sound. when you get up to 600fps, it just makes the range at which you can fire on a deer and the deer not have time to move out of the way before the arrow hits them after they hear the bowstring.

-Mike R.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fahr)
a bullet kills with shockwaves.

No. It doesn't. Not unless you happen to be hit in the head such that the bullet penetrates the skull and travels in the liquid surrounding your brain but doesn't touch the brain itself. Or perhaps if a high-power rifle shot goes right through your jugular -- in which case you'd be dead real soon regardless of hydrostatic shock. Even if you get hit right through your liver (one of the few organs which sustain significant damage from hydrostatic shock), you're far far more likely to die from the extreme bleeding that will follow and not of the fact that your liver is busted.

Throwing a figure outta my ass, I'd say about 95% of deaths resulting from gunshot wounds are caused by blood loss or direct damage to vital organs. Direct kills caused by hydrostatic shock are likely to be in the neighborhood of 1% or less.

a bullet can kill you instantly by destroying important tissue, and arrow by severing important nerves/arteries.

You cannot be instantly killed unless you sustain massive damage to the brain. A bullet through the brain will do this just as well as an arrow. If you get hit in a major artery, both a bullet and an arrow will kill you just the same: From blood loss. The fact that the bullet might (depending heavily on a number of things) cause more damage in the surrounding tissue is of little signifigance when your femoral artery retracts into your hip.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Cray74)
I wonder what sort of hydrostatic shock and flesh cavities a 600fps crossbow bolt could generate.

I just thought I'd throw this out right now: hydrostatic shock is pseudo science bullshit.

Read up.

Anyway, about the iron thing: believe me, I'm aware of how iron ore naturally occurs, and I know some refinement and smelting are required to get to, say, even medieval era wrought iron. My point is only that, really, when you're dealing with magic, which is inherently not bound by the same rational laws of science, you probably can't about cheating it by coating rounds with iron or whatever. To that end, if I were building a world, you'd have to make the round purely out of iron to get the bonus, and I don't think making it frangible would have anything to do with causing damage to something magically active. Like I said, plenty of room for disagreement, but keep in mind that since magic is much more bound to things like intent, emotion, and artistic sense than science ever will be, it's not going to work the same way.
Austere Emancipator
I have no idea what to call it, but what I'm talking about with hydrostatic shock is the temporary cavity that occurs when a fast-traveling projectile hits anything (semi-)liquid in form. That's not pseudo-science nor bullshit, it's an absolute fact, and it can and does cause tissue damage.
Kagetenshi
If you want to get in a pool and let me toss a grenade into it, then you can call hydrostatic shock pseudoscience bullshit.

~J
Jason Farlander
The article, had you read it, points out that

a) the term hydrostatic shock is meaningless, given a contradiction between the terms "static" and "shock" and given that the process it attempts to describe is not static at all... it is dynamic

b) there is no way that any technical definition of the term "shock" can apply in this case

and c) there is something that could be described as a hydrodynamic impulse, but, in regards to firearms, this does not provide a reliable mechanism for incapacitation

Austere Emancipator
This really seems to be a question of terminology more than anything else. The author of those texts widely covers the effects of "Pressure Waves Induced by Missile Penetration", which is exactly what I'm talking about when I refer to hydrostatic shock.

Maybe I'll switch over to just pressure waves, temporary cavity and similar terms from now on. Just to sound more professional. silly.gif
mcb
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Fahr)

No. It doesn't. Not unless you happen to be hit in the head such that the bullet penetrates the skull and travels in the liquid surrounding your brain but doesn't touch the brain itself. Or perhaps if a high-power rifle shot goes right through your jugular -- in which case you'd be dead real soon regardless of hydrostatic shock. Even if you get hit right through your liver (one of the few organs which sustain significant damage from hydrostatic shock), you're far far more likely to die from the extreme bleeding that will follow and not of the fact that your liver is busted.

Throwing a figure outta my ass, I'd say about 95% of deaths resulting from gunshot wounds are caused by blood loss or direct damage to vital organs. Direct kills caused by hydrostatic shock are likely to be in the neighborhood of 1% or less.

a bullet can kill you instantly by destroying important tissue, and arrow by severing important nerves/arteries.

You cannot be instantly killed unless you sustain massive damage to the brain. A bullet through the brain will do this just as well as an arrow. If you get hit in a major artery, both a bullet and an arrow will kill you just the same: From blood loss. The fact that the bullet might (depending heavily on a number of things) cause more damage in the surrounding tissue is of little signifigance when your femoral artery retracts into your hip.

AE I think your numbers are a bit off but I don't have numbers to counter so I won't.

I will say from my own experience that while deer hunting I have seen deer drop dead in their tracks after being hit with an arrow from a 55# draw compound bow. They never took another step and barely twitch after hitting the ground. I have also seen deer run, dead on their feet, a hundreds yards or more after having a 7mm RUM or other similar large center fire rifles that have blown a baseball size hole clean though the boiler room. Killing critters is such an unpredictable thing. Bullets and Arrows do primarily use different mechanisms to kill but to say their mechanism is exclusive of each other is not possible.

It is safe to say arrows are most effective when they employ the largest cutting surfaces while still achieving full or near full penetration of the vital area. The large number and variety of bladed broadheads and the illegality in most if not all states of using field points or blunt tipped arrows for big game hunting would indicate that this is true. I know in Ohio not only do you have to use a broadhead but the cutting edge but above a minimum diameter.

Even with a really powerful bow or crossbow you will never exceed much over 400 fps let alone get anywhere near super sonic where a blunt arrow might start doing more damage than a bladed one. A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that to get near super sonic velocity with a 500 grain arrow (rather heavy) with a troll size bow would require draw from brace height of say 36 inches (about a 44-48 inch arrow) with a draw weight of 800 lbs at the peak. This calculation ignore limb mass and other frictional, viscous looses and then you have the fact that you have to getting materials that could take these types of stresses and still be shaped and function like a bow.

Bullet damage theory is like arguing abortion; you’re just not going to come to a complete solution everyone would agree on, even the experts. I have read more conflicting theories of ballistic wounding then I care to admit, I’m content to say that there are many mechanism at work there and it’s pretty unpredictable as to which of those is going to be the primary cause of death in a give situation.

mcb
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
there is no way that any technical definition of the term "shock" can apply in this case

That's the thing, though. I would call a sudden, violent pressure wave a "shock wave". It would indeed seem that "hydrostatic" is bullshit, but I don't see how "shock" is. [Edit]Reading it again, I can see it now. I didn't even realize that the word "shock" had such a definition. Oh well.[/Edit]

this does not provide a reliable mechanism for incapacitation

He's mainly talking about pressure waves inside the thorax and how they may cause (often temporary) damage to the central nervous system. The pressure waves themselves can and will rupture certain organs, crush bone, severely bruise muscles, etc. This significantly increases the amount of tissue damage caused by the projectile in question.

Going to be busy for a while reading through all of this...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mcb)
AE I think your numbers are a bit off but I don't have numbers to counter so I won't.

What effects, then, would you consider to be causes of death with bullet wounds? I'm the first to admit I'm no expert in this, but even now as I'm reading through yet another article on terminal ballistics I do not see what effects might take a significant chunk out of "vital organs messed up" and "blood in the wrong place" causes of death.

A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that to get near super sonic velocity with a 500 grain arrow (rather heavy) with a troll size bow would require draw from brace height of say 36 inches (about a 44-48 inch arrow) with a draw weight of 800 lbs at the peak.

It may well be that you could never get a conventional bow powerful enough to warrant the use of blunt arrows. And now that I think about it, there's no point -- if you want a blunt, 500 grain projectile shot at supersonic velocities, you can get a shotgun. Better stick to what bows and crossbows do best. Which means making bows much more powerful really doesn't improve damage done to humans by them significantly.

The Power increase is sort of warranted by the increased penetration, although I would really like to see some tables about how well different arrows and arrowheads of different weights and velocities penetrate modern body armor.

[Edit]One shouldn't take the linked page as gospel, either. There are some weird contradictions in there, like where he says that bullets generally only go through 2 revolutions, but also says that angular energy often remains after axial energy is depleted so that a bullet might spin-polish hide from the inside. Spin polish hide with perhaps 1 revolution? And I love the way he calls what I called hydrostatic shock the "Splash Effect". biggrin.gif[/Edit]
Arethusa
Austere, I was merely pointing out that hydrostatic shock, as it is widely cited by people who think that a bullet can casue massive pressure waves throughout a terminal subject, is completely not real. I have little doubt that your understanding of terminal ballistics goes well beyond this, but it was worth pointing out for everyone coming across this thread. That said, yeah, tossing a grenade or even so much as firing a gun can cause lots of problems underwater. Massive, rapid impulse through dynamic fluid can do a lot of things, but it's generally not what people think it is. Really, the human body is generally far more resilient than a lot of internet people tend to give it credit for.
mcb
QUOTE (mcb)

What effects, then, would you consider to be causes of death with bullet wounds? I'm the first to admit I'm no expert in this, but even now as I'm reading through yet another article on terminal ballistics I do not see what effects might take a significant chunk out of "vital organs messed up" and "blood in the wrong place" causes of death.

Ultimately you’re probably correct, orgain damage and blood lost will ultimately cause death but from personal hunting experience and from talking to many other hunters there is a lot going on there. I met a guy that was hire to cull the local deer population in the national park near my home. They closed that section of the park down and the hire hunters kill X amount of deer. Most of them use light rifle like 223 Rem or 22 Hornet and it is done at relatively close range. This hunter told me that one deer would take a 223 place properly behind the front leg and simple collapse immediately and never move. The next deer with the same shot at similar ranges would stand there as if missed only to several second later take a few steps and collapse. Other deer with the same shot from the same gun would run at full speed for 100 yds or more before collapsing. Why was one shot instantly fatal and incapacitating and another nearly identical shot just as fatal but allowed the deer to function for several second to almost a minute after that shot before death.

I have shot groundhogs with a 270 Win at close range and hit a little low and emptied every organ below the diaphragm and still have them get back in there hole several yards away. I have also hit them at 140 yard with a 22lr (much less then 100ft-lbs of energy on target) and they never even twitched. Why one shot instantly shuts down the entire central nervous system and another shot leaves the critter in complete control of his faculties while being ultimately just as dead is the point I meant to make. There is just a lot that is not completely understood yet.

mcb
Austere Emancipator
Re: Varying onset-times of death, that seems to be more of a paralyzing of concussing effect than it is a killing one. It might be that a deer that instantly drops after such a shot is, in fact, still alive, but the "hydrodynamic pressure wave caused by the projectile traveling through its thorax" causes damage to its spine severe enough to incapacitate it for a moment. The scientific explanation of this effect on the site Arethusa linked to and on some others seems quite thorough enough to consider it "well understood", but you may well be right and it shouldn't be called "completely understood" yet.

My (completely uneducated and possibly quite ignorant) estimate is that all those animals still died because of a drop of blood pressure caused by either the failure of the heart, severing of the major arteries right next to the heart, or massive bleeding inside the thorax. This article does suggest, however, that the hydrodynamic pressure wave might cause damage to the heart and spine severe enough to actually kill, but that it is exceedingly rare. I'll refrain from further comment until some time early this morning when I've finished reading all of this and more...

I should probably correct my definition of "vital organs", though. I really don't know shit about medicine, but I'm assuming the only organs the incapacitation of which would cause death faster than the resulting bleeding would are the brain, the heart and possibly respiratory organs (lungs and the trachea). If arteries count as organs, then all arteries directly between the heart and brain count as well, from aorta upwards.
KillaJ
I don't know shit about medicine either, but I have some first aid type training and I do know that not breathing will kill you faster then blood loss. So you are correct in adding lungs to that list.
Austere Emancipator
Hey, does someone know whether you can effectively breath if one of your lungs is put out? If a bullet penetrates both your lungs in a combat situation you're as good as dead, but what if you just get hit through one and there is not much bleeding for some reason? If you get hit sideways through your thorax, you're pretty screwed...
KillaJ
Yes you can breathe with only one lung, laying on your wounded side will help also.
Assuming your not in combat. wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
And I suppose it's an unfair question, because then you've got a whole bunch of other stuff going on in your body, like the air build-up in the thorax and fluids going into the wrong places and whatever else. Anyway, back to reading...
Fahr
thanks mcb... i was getting ready to post something like your explanation and got pulled away... one thing to add...

as long as the arrow passes all the way through the target, than the more blades/bigger blades will be more effective, even if the poundage (force) of the bow increases, as long as the surface area cut is greater, than that is the more effective bow (assuming total passthrough)

so the 500 pound bow just gets 4 inch diameter broadheads, make you dead much easier than a one inch diameter broadhead...

bows to guns is apples to oranges anyway...

-Mike R.

Austere Emancipator
After 5 straight hours of terminal ballistics, I have to agree that at the kind of velocities you could possibly generate with a bow (or crossbow), temporary cavitation would never significantly weigh in the lethality. The consensus between experts in the field seems to be that temporary cavitation doesn't matter until you hit 2,000+fps.

"[Dr. (COL) Martin L.]Fackler, when asked to estimate the survival time of someone shot in the front mid-abdomen with a Glaser slug, responded, "About three days, and the cause of death would be peritonitis.""
xizor
Modifying cannon to get resnoble cross bows
Pistol cross bows [str min +2] L [str min x100Y]*
Repeating Pistol cross bows [str min +2]L and [str min x 160Y]#*
Light cross bow [str min +3]L [str min x 100Y]
Light Repeating cross bow [str min +3]L [str min x 160Y]#
Medium cross bow [str min +2]M [str min x 125Y]
Repeating cross bow [str min +2]M [str min x 200Y]#
Heavy cross bow [str min +3]S [str min x 150Y]
Heavy repeating cross bow [str min +3]S [str min x 240Y]#
# Please note that repeating cross bow typicaly have a clip of 5 bolts
*I think that pistol cross bows should have a strength maximum of about 5 or so.

I made these crossbows by takeing cannon crossbows and subtracting the str min form the power code and dividing the price by the str min.

i made the repeating crossbows by comparing the price of the
[medium crossbow/str min] to the price of the [repeating crossbow/str min]
and then aplying that ratio to the other crossbows.

i think this might work...

and thanks for the lively discusion about guns and bullets and bows and stuff.
cutter07
QUOTE (Fahr)

Um actually it does. You should really learn more about firearms before you start correcting people. Read http://www.recguns.com/Sources/VG1.html and http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll...-20/Ch19.htmfor starters. If people died from gunshot wounds the way you say it would be nearly impossible to kill someone in under 2 minutes. Yes a vital hit will kill you nearly instantly (depending on which kind of dead you mean). But most kills are mostly from the shock. Read, learn, then correct.

Arethusa
Cutter, check the page I linked to earlier in this thread.
Austere Emancipator
cutter07, you seem to be confused about what is a "shock wave" and what is the medical definition of shock. Shock as it appears in the first article you linked to ("Ammunition for the Self-Defense Firearm") uses the medical definition, which has absolutely nothing to do with shock waves whatsoever. As Merriam-Webster says, such a shock means "a state of profound depression of the vital processes associated with reduced blood volume and pressure and caused usually by severe especially crushing injuries, hemorrhage, or burns", emphasis mine.

Death from shock = Death from blood loss (or blood pressure loss), exactly the way I described.

What was that about correcting, again?
Austere Emancipator
Your second link is typoed, what you want is:
http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll.../19-20/Ch19.htm
Outstanding, the Field Manual of Law Enforcement Investigations on Death has misinformation about bullets! It actually says "the energy of a high-speed bullet destroys tissue as the shock waves of its impact radiates away from the bullet. This makes a track of permanently disrupted tissue much wider than the bullet."

This is, like the article Arethusa linked to explains in considerable length, is bullshit. Bullets do leave a track of permanently disrupted tissue much wider than the bullet, but this has nothing to do with shock except in extreme cases (an ultramagnum reversed ogive SLAP, anyone?)-
Austere Emancipator
Reading through them with more thought, I'm loving the first one already:
"Most of these opinions are based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow", "American ammunition is the best in the world. [...] Buy American.", "The point is not to wound or kill the adversary: the point is to stop him in his tracks and make him cease attacking you." etc etc. It's quite amazing that someone can actually believe the "stopping power" nonsense. I haven't since I was 13.

Edit:
More pearls:
"7.62x25mm (a.k.a. 7.63mm Mauser) [...] obsolescent communist caliber"
Kagetenshi
Stopping power is true. When they die, they stop. smile.gif

~J
Arethusa
Austere, I'm assuming you mean the mythological .45ACP stopping power that throws you backwards into walls and not the literal fact that heavier rounds do a better job of causing trauma and physiological shock, which, if not lethal, at least stops people from doing stuff better than a smaller round would?
Thistledown
So, scaling it up a bit. Any suggestions for vehicle mounted balista's? Capabilities, damage codes, etc?

I've got a few characters who could make good use of this with their vans.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm assuming you mean the mythological .45ACP stopping power that throws you backwards into walls and not the literal fact that heavier rounds do a better job of causing trauma and physiological shock, which, if not lethal, at least stops people from doing stuff better than a smaller round would?

The article actually claims that: "The point is not to wound or kill the adversary: the point is to stop him in his tracks and make him cease attacking you." That does seem to imply that the author really thinks those bigger bullets stop someone without wounding or threatening to kill them. He also says that a hollow point will "stop" an opponent but not kill him, and he repeats this idea alot, as if killing an opponent wasn't stopping him.

Yet more Weird Shit: "The most effective handgun round on the market - regardless of caliber - is the Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain jacketed hollowpoint (357B). This load has more stopping power than any other handgun bullet (and this includes more powerful rounds like the .41 and .44 Magnums)."
WTF? This guy is seriously suggesting that a .357 Magnum round is better at killing people (well okay, this moron calls it "stopping people, whatever) than anything you can get for a .44 Magnum?
Arethusa
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm assuming you mean the mythological .45ACP stopping power that throws you backwards into walls and not the literal fact that heavier rounds do a better job of causing trauma and physiological shock, which, if not lethal, at least stops people from doing stuff better than a smaller round would?

The article actually claims that: "The point is not to wound or kill the adversary: the point is to stop him in his tracks and make him cease attacking you." That does seem to imply that the author really thinks those bigger bullets stop someone without wounding or threatening to kill them. He also says that a hollow point will "stop" an opponent but not kill him, and he repeats this idea alot, as if killing an opponent wasn't stopping him.

Well. I'm damn glad I didn't bother reading those.
mcb
Talk to someone that has successfully stop a Cape Buffalo charge at close range and ask them if they believe in stopping power. You can argue all day exactly what it is and how it works but I have seen 1500 lbs of Cape Buffalo at a full head long charge piled up like a sack silage after taking a pair of 500 grain solids from a 470NE. More Cape Buffalo and Elephant have been killed (poached) by guys with British 303 or 30-06 then all the NE cartridges combined but none of those guys stopped a charge with a rifle that light and then have been a far share of stomped and gored corpses to show for it.

mcb
Austere Emancipator
The author of that article would have you believe that you can shoot that charging buffalo at close range and stop it without causing it lethal damage. That's the bullshit part. I mean, maybe if you're a really lucky bastard and get a grazing hit next to the spine or brain it might be paralyzed/rendered unconscious for a while without killing it, but that's just amazing luck.

That 500 grain solid fired from a .470 Nitro Express probably bored one hell of a hole in that buffalo. Even if you completely ignore the possibility of the bullet touching or passing very near the brain or the spine (both of which would immediately stop such an animal with such an extremely powerful projectile, barring really bad luck), you've got the scientifically proven fact that the pressure waves caused by fast and heavy projectiles can and do cause damage to the spine.

QUOTE (http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/ballistics/mechanics.html)
The phenomenon from which this misunderstanding arises is simply trauma to the central nervous system (typically the upper or thoracic spinal region, but also the brain in special instances) resulting from the violent pressure wave that accompanies a bullet passing nearby. For a professional perspective consider the following exerpt from the abstract to an article written for the Journal of Trauma:

The focusing effect of thoracic vertebrae on pressure waves impinging on the spine from different directions has been calculated using the theory of geometrical acoustics. The bony tissue lateral to the spinal canal forms a bi-concave lens which owing to the large sound velocity of bone strongly focuses pressure waves into the canal. This effect occurs over a large range of incidence angles, so it is likely to occur any time missile-generated pressure waves impact on the spine. Because of this focusing effect, individuals receiving lateral impulsive impact by gunshot are subject to neurological threat even when the missile does not enter the spinal column. ("Remote Spinal Injury Caused by the Focusing of Pressure Waves Induced by Missile Penetration", B. CarriÈre, PT, CIFK, B. Sturtevant, PhD, J. S. Kung, MD, PhD, S. Wolf, MD, and J. Cates)

The result is instant incapacitation, not due to loss of blood or oxygen to the brain, but rather to a paralyzing trauma. This effect is typically temporary (ie, non-fatal in itself) but usually attended by severe wound trauma which leads very quickly to fatal hemorrhage. Attributing this effect to certain cartridges or bullets is a mistake. Move the shot path a couple of inches lower and no such effect will be observed, although the animal will expire in the same matter of seconds, remaining on its feet standing, walking or running. The only time this is really important is against dangerous game (when those 5 to 10 seconds might include being trampled, mauled or gored) and from what I've read and witnessed it cannot be depended upon in the case of the Cape buffalo with the largest rifles ever made. I have never seen any Cape buffalo hit in the body which appeared to be affected by "shock" to any degree whatsoever.

QUOTE (mcb)
More Cape Buffalo and Elephant have been killed (poached) by guys with British 303 or 30-06 then all the NE cartridges combined but none of those guys stopped a charge with a rifle that light [...]

I'm sure you exaggerated a bit here for effect, but still: I'm willing to bet quite a lot on money on there having been cases of a charging cape buffalo or an african elephant stopped with a .303 British or .30-06. It seems to me that a hit at a good angle to the forehead of the animal directly in front of the brain would penetrate their skulls and thus result in immediate death in most situations. Ignoring that, I doubt it's impossible to hit a cape buffalo in such a way as to get a .30-06 shot to reach the spine, which would also cause immediate immobilization.

But this has nothing to do with this one guy's obsession with "street-proven man-stoppers". You don't want to shoot a cape buffalo just to stop it, you shoot it to kill it. This guy wants people to believe they can reliably stop people with reduced chance of killing them, which just doesn't make sense when the primary mechanism of damage from the weapons he's interested in is the permanent wound cavity caused by the projectiles entry into and traveling through the human body.

QUOTE (FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness @ http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm)
Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding.
xizor
seems like you missed it, Thistledown
i had a look at the cross bows and tryed to improve the stats so they work the same as a long bow, i posted it earlier but it seems like it got missed. here it is again
Modifying cannon to get resnoble cross bows
Pistol cross bows [str min +2] L [str min x100Y]*
Repeating Pistol cross bows [str min +2]L and [str min x 160Y]#*
Light cross bow [str min +3]L [str min x 100Y]
Light Repeating cross bow [str min +3]L [str min x 160Y]#
Medium cross bow [str min +2]M [str min x 125Y]
Repeating cross bow [str min +2]M [str min x 200Y]#
Heavy cross bow [str min +3]S [str min x 150Y]
Heavy repeating cross bow [str min +3]S [str min x 240Y]#
# Please note that repeating cross bow typicaly have a clip of 5 bolts
*I think that pistol cross bows should have a strength maximum of about 5 or so.

I made these crossbows by takeing cannon crossbows and subtracting the str min form the power code and dividing the price by the str min.

i made the repeating crossbows by comparing the price of the
[medium crossbow/str min] to the price of the [repeating crossbow/str min]
and then aplying that ratio to the other crossbows.

i think this might work...

to see the entire post see page 3

also it is physically possible to make a crossbow that will fire a bolt through a telephone pole.(in this case it was a piece of sharpened rebar with tin can flights)
Thistledown
QUOTE (xizor)
seems like you missed it, Thistledown
i had a look at the cross bows and tryed to improve the stats so they work the same as a long bow, i posted it earlier but it seems like it got missed. here it is again

also it is physically possible to make a crossbow that will fire a bolt through a telephone pole.(in this case it was a piece of sharpened rebar with tin can flights)

Yeah, I saw that part. That's not what I meant. If it's still based off a strength rating, that's a crossbow carried by a person. I mean a ballista, mounted on a van and cocked by pnumatics, an engine, etc. Any idea for those? I can go into the why part later, but for now just how it would work.
xizor
Thistledown as far as i know there are no ballista in shadowrun.
I mean a ballista, mounted on a van and cocked by pnumatics, an engine, etc. Any idea for those? I can go into the why part later, but for now just how it would work.

i think that you could make a ballista by making a large heavy crossbow mounted on a tripod or something, have some method of cocking it the pneumatics or engine which you said in your post. work something out with you GM, and for the love of munchkin make it strong egnogh that it will only take a simple ready action to get the balista ready.
make it a repeating crossbow so it will reload automatically as well as fire faster. make the magizen a bit larger form 5 bolts to 10.
oh i had a look at how much a crossbow bolt weighs, in the book it weighs .05 kilograms, that is realy light so i assume it is for only one bolt. to make a ballista the bolts are going to have to be bigger, maybe .5 kilos.

you didn't seem to like the strength raitngs but i don't see any way to get around it. have a strength minimum rating of over 10 so you have to be insanely strong to use it manually.
i will give you a sample of what i think one should look like

Heavy vehiclular repeating crossbow [str min of 12]
conceal - damage[15]D, SA, (10m), weight 15 Kilograms, 4,840Y,
legality [decide for yourself]
you can find out the ranges for yourself use the heavy crossbow ranges

great now i can make another type of crossbow biggrin.gif
heavy vehicular crossbow [str min + 3]D [str min x 200]
heavy vehicular repeating crossbow [str min + 3]D [str min x 320]
mcb
QUOTE (mcb)
More Cape Buffalo and Elephant have been killed (poached) by guys with British 303 or 30-06 then all the NE cartridges combined but none of those guys stopped a charge with a rifle that light [...]

I'm sure you exaggerated a bit here for effect, but still: I'm willing to bet quite a lot on money on there having been cases of a charging cape buffalo or an african elephant stopped with a .303 British or .30-06. It seems to me that a hit at a good angle to the forehead of the animal directly in front of the brain would penetrate their skulls and thus result in immediate death in most situations. Ignoring that, I doubt it's impossible to hit a cape buffalo in such a way as to get a .30-06 shot to reach the spine, which would also cause immediate immobilization.

I do not exaggerate much on either aspect of the above statement. I believe it is a fairly well document statement that most African game wardens would confirm that more Elephant and Cape Buffalo have been poached with 303 and 30-06 and probably through in 308 Win than all NE combined. On a similar note most American game warden would probably admit that almost as many deer have been poached with 22lr and 22WMR as most other cartridges combined.

As for stopping that charge with a 30 cal I have no doubt that someone has done it with a lucky shot on a cape buffalo, I personally highly doubt in with elephant but flukes do happen.

The problem with a buffalo charge is he put his head down and that huge boss at the base of his horns covers the entire top-back of his head. I have read several account of hunter bouncing 30 cal bullets of the boss with little or no effect on the animal. The only other viable stopping shot staring down the nostrils of an angry Buffalo is the back of the neck and that is also a very tuff target there is a tremendous amount of muscle on top of the heavy vertebra around the spine. While not as bullet resistant as the head in a charging buffalo it proves to be a relative small target making a good shot difficult. 30 cal done have the penetration to get to the heart and lungs on most frontal shot charge of no charge.

I highly doubt a 30 gun has the penetration to attempt any type of frontal shot on and elephant of even moderate size. There is simply to much bone and muscle between the gun and anything lethal. I have also read accounts of poorly place head shots with big NE guns knocking large elephants off their feet. The hunter rather then spending another $10 NE cartridge for a follow up insurance shot on the boiler room starts posing for pictures only to have his trophy revive a few minutes later and get backup and tear off through the underbrush. The elephant skull is very large and thick while the brain cavity is rather small in comparison. It happens more often than it should that a brain shot is mess up and result in a wounded but very functional elephant after he recovers from the initial brain thumping. These elephant frequently go on to live several years until another hunter does the job correctly.

But this has nothing to do with this one guy's obsession with "street-proven man-stoppers". You don't want to shoot a cape buffalo just to stop it, you shoot it to kill it. This guy wants people to believe they can reliably stop people with reduced chance of killing them, which just doesn't make sense when the primary mechanism of damage from the weapons he's interested in is the permanent wound cavity caused by the projectiles entry into and traveling through the human body.

I agree here nothing is reliable when it comes to killing. As for general stopping power I have seen in my hunting experiences and read a lot of unusual things related to killing. I think terminal ballistics is something that will not easily give up is secrets to science. There is just to many fluky things that happen as I have given example in an earlier posts to this thread. I think a lot of the various theories presentled are true at least partially, part of the time. I think you can create situation to support most of the theories. The problem comes down to the fact that none of the theories I have read hold 100% true 100% of the time.

mcb
Thistledown
QUOTE (xizor)
Heavy vehiclular repeating crossbow [str min of 12]
conceal - damage[15]D, SA, (10m), weight 15 Kilograms, 4,840Y,
legality [decide for yourself]
you can find out the ranges for yourself use the heavy crossbow ranges

great now i can make another type of crossbow biggrin.gif
heavy vehicular crossbow [str min + 3]D [str min x 200]
heavy vehicular repeating crossbow [str min + 3]D [str min x 320]

Hmm, that sounds good to me. I'll run it by him.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mcb)
I believe it is a fairly well document statement that most African game wardens would confirm that more Elephant and Cape Buffalo have been poached with 303 and 30-06 and probably through in 308 Win than all NE combined.

I do not doubt that at all. I have no idea about those statistics, so even if I had a doubt I just better keep it to myself. But you said, at first, that those .30s don't stop those animals -- and that was an exaggeration, like you admitted. It happens. You can't count on it, but you can't count on it with .470NE either.

QUOTE (mcb)
The problem with a buffalo charge is he put his head down and that huge boss at the base of his horns covers the entire top-back of his head. I have read several account of hunter bouncing 30 cal bullets of the boss with little or no effect on the animal.

Then we're back to penetration being the key. And the author of that article about defense handguns that cutter07 linked to would have you believe that penetration is bad and counter-productive to stopping things. And, again, that's the bullshit part. You need to have the penetration to hit something vital. I bet it's easier (or more likely, at any rate) to stop a charging cape buffalo with a 7.62x51mm FMJ than it is with 12G buckshot.

QUOTE (mcb)
I have also read accounts of poorly place head shots with big NE guns knocking large elephants off their feet.

This effect, and your follow-up to it, is also mentioned and explained in the same article, right below what I linked already. Like you said, the bullet smacks around the brain of an elephant sufficiently to render in unconscious -- just like a .22LR bullet passing right next to the human brain but not hitting the brain itself might render a human unconscious. However, the target isn't wounded sufficiently to kill it before it regains consciousness. This effect can be and has been explained by scientific analysis, it would seem. The article relates exactly the same kinds of experiences as you've obviously had, and it explains them in a way that I cannot find any holes of logic in -- and neither has anybody else, it seems.

The ability of a bullet to mess with the brain of a living critter isn't "stopping power" or "knock-down power". You obviously do not consider the various .30s powerful enough for a serious cape buffalo hunter -- but you do admit that they can and most likely have been, several times, stopped dead in their tracks with such rounds. Because of lucky (or maybe sometimes extremely skilful) shots.

When considering damage to the central nervous system with a shot through the thorax, comparing cape buffalos and humans isn't a very good idea for a few reasons. Mostly because you really need a rather powerful round to actually get the bullet to penetrate the thorax of a cape buffalo, while any old FMJ round will do that with a human.

If you could reliably get those .30s to penetrate the buffalo, the difference between likelyhood of "stopping" the animal with a .30-06 and a .470NE, all other things being equal, would only come from the distance to the spine at which the pressure waves caused by the passing projectiles are sufficiently powerful enough to damage it. Obviously the .30-06 doesn't cause pressure waves nearly as powerful as the .470NE, thus you have to get it to pass much closer to the spine for that effect.

In a human, the pressure wave effect on the spine seems to be lessened by the simple "design" of the thorax and ribcage, and the projectile generally passes in a different direction -- equivalent of from directly below on a quadraped. Thus to get the immediate drop on a human, you need to get the bullet to pass even closer to the spine.

If the difference between a 9mmP and .357 Mag in that respect is that the latter can do damage to the spine from 1cm further away, all other things being equal, then that's certainly not something to pick your defensive handgun by. Instead, you might pick the .357 Mag because it causes a far larger (greater diameter and deeper) permanent wound channel than the 9mmP.

But then these "stopping power" yokels don't think the effect comes from damage to the central nervous system. They really seem to believe that the bullet somehow magically gains more momentum and energy in flight and actually knocks the target on its ass as a sledgehammer might. They don't even want the bullet to get as far as the spine, or even the vital organs, they want you to get bullets that only barely penetrate the skin of the target. I think you agree that bullets that don't penetrate worth a damn are not good for incapacitating living creatures.

QUOTE (mcb)
There is just to many fluky things that happen as I have given example in an earlier posts to this thread.

I don't want to sound like the theories on which the works of Fackler and his colleagues in the global scientific field of terminal ballistics research are based on are the One And Only Truth. However, they quite simply make a heck of a lot more sense than anything these "Stopping Power Is The Key" people have come up with.

Additionally, when the rest of the world obviously works according to the laws of physics (whatever those may be), it is probable that terminal ballistics does too -- and the works of people like Fackler do. The Stopping Power myths break several fundamental laws of physics, not to mention how they totally disagree with several basic concepts of medical science.

All through the history of the world, when 2 world views have collided, one based on science and one based on Belief, science has always prevailed. The scientific version is hardly ever the ultimate explanation, but then science improves and the view of the world gets closer and closer to reality.

The people who go on about Stopping Power are like the people who argued that the world is flat or that the world is the center of the universe. The world isn't completely round either, but it's closer to round than flat. The sun isn't the center of the world, but it certainly is the center of our solar system. The theories on terminal ballistics presented by people like Fackler might not be absolute truths, but they are much like Einstein's theory of relativity: There is nothing yet that disproves them, and in every case they agree with reality just as well and usually better than the other theories on terminal ballistics out there.

[I think I had a point when I started out. I think it was that none of the fluky events mentioned by you here are unexplicable by the theories presented by Fackler and others.]
mcb
AE, the amount of text you generate in some of your post is impressive. If I wrote that much in that short of time it would be near unintelligible.

I agree with most of what your saying. I would like to point out that from my study penetration, is as you say, utmost in importance if you don’t punch a hole in it or one very close to it you probably won’t damage it. But that said I never have subscribe to the just punch holes in them with FMJ (not to mention in most of my use for firearms FMJ is illegal to hunt big game in most states in the US) if you can do it with an expanding bullet. The only exception here is using FMJ or Monolith bullets for African dangerous game. They would use soft points if they could but the penetration would not be there thus the use of solids. Use a hollow point, soft point or other expanding bullet to dump as much kinetic energy into the target as possible. Dumping the energy is NOT to “hydoshock” the target as some believe but use of kinetic energy to make your bullet expand to as large a diameter as possible and punch a bigger hole. If you can achieve full penetration with a controlled expansion bullet now you have punched a bigger hole increasing your chance of a lethal hit while not giving up full penetration. It never made any sense to me to have the bullet exit the target carrying half its kinetic energy. Let the bullet dump that energy into the target while producing a larger permanent hole and increasing your chance of hitting something important.

In a hunting situation this seems a very good approach. The perfect match of weapon and bullet will put the bullet just under the skin on the far side of the animal at your maximum range. In combat that is not always realistic. If the enemy is hiding behind something you probably want to shot through it if you can hence and argument for FMJ and AP. If an elk is hiding behind a tree I have time to wait I could shoot through the tree with FMJ but I get a better/more human kill using a soft nose and waiting for a clean shot.

More ramblings
mcb

PS what does this have to do with bow and arrows? biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mcb)
The perfect match of weapon and bullet will put the bullet just under the skin on the far side of the animal at your maximum range.

I completely agree with you on all other points except this one. To me it seems that an exit wound is a good thing, because with just one hole to bleed out of, the wound channel might get filled with blood that can't go anywhere and then there might be coagulation going on. It's not much of a difference, but if we're discussing the theoretical optimum, we might as well include the exit wound in there. Then the bullet would just drop on the ground right behind the animal.

This is a very minor point, though, because a bullet that will do what you described at the maximum accurate range will produce the exit wound 99 times out of 100.

QUOTE (mcb)
AE, the amount of text you generate in some of your post is impressive. If I wrote that much in that short of time it would be near unintelligible.

I never set out to write that much. I really wish I could get my point into less words, because most of it is just pointless rambling, and I'm afraid it will turn unintelligible. My problem is that I begin writing before I know what my point is going to be.

what does this have to do with bow and arrows? biggrin.gif

Frankly, I'm surprised how close to the original we are. The maximum lethality of bolts and arrows was turned into the maximum lethality of bullets and the theories that relate to that.
Kagetenshi
Then, of course, there's the fact that if an attack takes half an inch off of the entire facing surface of your target it's going to probably be more effective than a hole through their torso, but there are always exceptions.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
if an attack takes half an inch off of the entire facing surface of your target

I didn't get it. You mean, if an attack "peels" the skin and everything below it down to a depth of ½"? From a psychological point of view, quite probably. And I guess it'll hurt a heck of a lot more, although a plain old hole through your torso hurts quite enough, too. And that'd actually mean you lose the skull under on your forehead, so it's going to be plenty lethal as well.

Killing someone by skinning him is likely to take a bit of time, though. I have no idea how fast you bleed when skinned. I mean, you'll bleed a lot, but severing the femoral artery will make you bleed about as much as skinning your whole leg and thigh.
Kagetenshi
I'm saying that it's tissue damage, not penetration, that kills effectively. Though often the two occur together. That was an exaggerated case of something that wouldn't penetrate at all, comparatively speaking, but would be extremely lethal. A baseball-sized hole in the stomach is probably worse than a small hole straight through the body.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'm saying that it's tissue damage, not penetration, that kills effectively.

I don't think you can really separate the two like that, if only because bullets would never do such a shallow wound on such a large area. A better example might be comparing a .357 Magnum Glaser and a .357 Magnum JSP.

The "Street-Proven Man-Stopper" people would say the Glaser is better. Those with a scientific mind would say the JSP is better. The Glaser does as much or more tissue damage than the JSP, but will not penetrate into the heart, trachea, spine, or the major arteries in the thorax. The JSP will, and will have a nice exit wound as well. It is possible that a hit to the same location with a Glaser and a JSP would lead to the Glaser killing quicker -- in the abdomen, without any arteries or the spine in the line of penetration.

On a hit to the chest, I would put my money on the JSP. All the good stuff is in the thorax, and quite deep in there, where the Glaser would never get them. A good hit with the JSP would, I assume, kill a human faster than with the Glaser.

It's really neither tissue damage nor penetration that kills effectively. You can damage a whole lot of tissue without causing anything more than pain and some bleeding -- having your whole leg blown into bits will kill you a lot slower than a powerful rifle shot to the chest, on average. Of course you can also penetrate someone fully without causing lethal damage, with a small enough (final) diameter projectile.

This is why the article I linked earlier about Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness clearly points out that the bullet must penetrate more than 12"/30cm, and it must also be of sufficient size to promote rapid bleeding. If the bullet is really sharp, light and small, it isn't particularly lethal regardless of how much it penetrates. If a bullet only penetrates 4"/10cm, it isn't particularly lethal even if it leaves a 2"/5cm diameter cavity.

A baseball-sized hole in the stomach has penetrated you fully. That's way more penetration than a Glaser from any sane caliber could even dream of. None of this penetration-talk has anything to do with boring a "small hole straight through the body" (which I suppose means from the sole of the foot to the top of the head). The most penetration you'll usually need against unarmored opponents is enough to penetrate one arm and the torso sideways. Taking the bones into consideration, that's somewhere around 16-20"/40-50cm.

Any caliber for which some bullet would be capable of blowing a baseball-sized hole through a human's stomach there are bullets for which would blow a hole 1"-2" in diameter through your arm and the whole torso sideways, which is about 100% likely to kill you, and fast. Possibly faster than a baseball-sized hole in the stomach, because the good stuff is in the thorax.
Arethusa
Actually, when he said 'small hole, straight through your body,' I believe he was thinking more along the lines of getting shot with, say, a P90, and having it's little projectiles miss anything really worthwhile.
Austere Emancipator
That's the kind of caliber I thought of at first, too, but it should be noted that the bullet of a P90 won't penetrate that deep. A .45ACP FMJ will penetrate much deeper, for example. The point being that you hardly ever get a very deep, very narrow permanent cavity. Most bullets that cause a very narrow cavity don't go deep, either. And many bullets that cause an extremely wide wound also go very deep, such as deforming 7.62x51mm and up for human targets.

Of course penetration alone isn't the key. No single factor is, the closest you might get is the surface area of the cavity, which still doesn't account for the fact that the vital stuff is deep inside the thorax
Kagetenshi
Arethusa got what I was trying (and failing) to say. The articles above aren't any less incorrect, but if you somehow have magically large wound diameter you can make do with fairly little penetration.

Not that I'm saying anything you don't know, but I thought it should be mentioned. The turn of the conversation was getting a little overly focused on penetration, it seemed to me.

~J
mcb
This does not make sense to me. How little penetration are we talking about, skin deep, through the thorax wall, deeper? If you do not penetrate deep enough to damage vital organs like heart, major arteries, lungs, spine or brain then how will you kill the target? There are countless examples of larger surface area wounds being survived. There are many accounts of people surviving being scalped during the French and Indian war. People that take spill on motorcycle at high speed and lose very larger portions of the dermal layer sliding across the blacktop and survive as long as they don’t hit anything to hard. I had a cousin flip a 125 dirt bike over on his chest while riding a wheelie showing off for a girl. His slid over a hundred feet on blacktop with the bike on his chest and no protective cloths on. He lost nearly all the skin on his back, butt and back of his thighs. His survived if badly scared. People involved in fires that are burned over large percentage of their body and survive. Unless you have severed a major artery the body is very capable with little or no first aid to control the bleeding. And even if the bleeding is not controlled it will be sometime, several minutes or even longer before they are incapacitated let alone dead.

So how little penetration are we talking about?

mcb
Kagetenshi
Do you have reports of any significant number of massive burn victims surviving without medical attention? Burns are seriously difficult to treat even in a hospital setting.

~J
Austere Emancipator
We've all seen her. She had 3rd degree burns all over her back, and 2nd and 1st degree burns everywhere. She survived, although her whole back is still scarred.

A 1" diameter wound through the thorax can easily kill you within 30-60 seconds, burns are going to take a lot longer on average. Even if an area larger than the surface area of the 1" thorax hole is covered in 3rd degree burns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012