Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too much info?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
thorya
QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 2 2014, 12:52 PM) *
If we can come up with a plan to successfully break into a major corp site full of security I'll bet we can figure out how to successfully burglarize a jewelry store over a weekend.

Nah don't rob a jewelry store, hospitals or home good stores are easier, less likely to be traceable, and provide better return. It's hard to move a lot of jewelry, unless you've got a fence that runs their own jewelry storefront and will forge the paperwork, and you're not going to get market value selling whole sale because of the huge mark up on gems and gold when sold at retail (jewelers pay less than 50% of the sale price when buying wholesale, which depresses the illegal market). You're probably looking at a few percent of the value that the jewelry store could have gotten from it, if you're lucky. Stolen prescription medication drugs maintain a good value on the street and so does laundry detergent.

My guess is, the real top of the world guy probably knocks off a stuffer shack every other Tuesday just for kicks and stays the hell away from anywhere with serious security.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 1 2014, 07:00 AM) *
The runners don't need to know the name of the pets of every guard's children to succeed.
If 'Pooky' happens to be a cybered up Barghest and was given to little Suzie becase it was the runt of Daddy's 'Litter', I may want to know that tidbit. nyahnyah.gif

Because runners are much more competent than the off-the-mill security, and keeping security that's on the runner level on every site will make any corp broke. It's basically the doctrine of concentration of forces, except on a smaller scale.
A better question would be - why are runners, seeing as how they're world-class professionals, staying runners instead of getting employed? Not necessarily by the megacorps - there are runners with ideals and all.
Most of us just hate to wear ties and don't get me started on timecards and filing expense reports. wink.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (thorya @ Feb 3 2014, 12:58 AM) *
You're probably looking at a few percent of the value that the jewelry store could have gotten from it, if you're lucky. Stolen prescription medication drugs maintain a good value on the street and so does laundry detergent.
But jewelry is much more valuable per unit of weight. So even if you're getting a few percent of it's value, selling a kilo of gold jewelry is more profitable than selling a kilo of laundry detergent.

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 3 2014, 01:47 AM) *
If 'Pooky' happens to be a cybered up Barghest and was given to little Suzie becase it was the runt of Daddy's 'Litter', I may want to know that tidbit. nyahnyah.gif
Knowing that he's named Pooky won't help you!

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 3 2014, 01:47 AM) *
Most of us just hate to wear ties and don't get me started on timecards and filing expense reports. wink.gif
Well, even if you decide to work for a mega, the black ops detachment commander files these reports. You just shoot people in the face - and the corp pays for the bullets.
Actually, contact descriptions say that good corp deckers are allowed to wear hawaiian shirts and flip-flops to work, I am sure they can leave some levy to a competent security consultant, too.
Godwyn
Standard contract work motto. It can be done fast, cheap, well. Choose 2.

I see part of it as the GM being too secretive. If the information the players are looking for is truly unimportant, tell them and save time. If the information is important, and they want to gather it, and the GM feels it takes too long, then let them get it faster/easier.

I am in the camp of Mr. Johnson rarely providing more than basic info. He is hiring supposed professionals. Information gathering is part of their job. If he wants certain details taken care of, or wants the run done in a specific way, then those are provided as part of their mission statement.

I do a mix of runs, some urgent and immediate, others with no timetable so the players can gather info to their hearts content. The reason it works, and they don't just walk away from runs is because the players and I have an agreement. I spend a shit ton more time having to build runs in my off time than they do on their players, and we are all there to have fun. If I had a good idea for a run that gives them no time to prep, they will go with it on occasion because I am the GM, it doesn't matter how much prep time they have, if I was out to get them, I can get them. They understand that I am not. I am there to run a game we all enjoy, and to try to help everyone involved have fun. If I consistently spend 10-20 hours building runs and the players constantly refuse work with me on it, I am not going to keep putting in that time commitment for the group. That being said, I try not to force a particular run at a particular time, and have 2-3 potential ones available.
mmu1
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jan 31 2014, 01:54 AM) *
Given mmu1's insight that: Runners are not going to work for less money than they could make by stealing a Ford Americar once every couple of weeks and having the group troll negotiate the sale to a chop shop.

Corollary: Runners are not going to do more legwork for runs than it would take them to plan a burglary paying just as much.

Holy shit, how is this still getting quoted nine years after it was first posted?! indifferent.gif

I was feeling nostalgic after mucking around with Shadowrun Returns, tried to Google an old Dumpshock discussion I was reminded of, and this was one of the search results.

Ah, memories.

ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 8 2014, 03:52 PM) *
Holy shit, how is this still getting quoted nine years after it was first posted?! indifferent.gif

I was feeling nostalgic after mucking around with Shadowrun Returns, tried to Google an old Dumpshock discussion I was reminded of, and this was one of the search results.

Ah, memories.

Possibly because it's been in my signature ever since you first posted it. Because I feel it's something so important it should be embossed on the inside cover of every Shadowrun rulebook.
Koekepan
QUOTE (mmu1 @ May 8 2014, 09:52 PM) *

Ah, memories.

It's a great truth. It's a central economic fact. People work, given market knowledge, for the best combination of working conditions and return which they can arrange. If a team of people whose asses are badder than last week's shrimp genuinely find that their best option is a weekly Mission Impossible on local Stuffer Shacks, the Johnsons of the world can cry about how unfair it is all they want. Pony up the dough, make with the pertinent intel, find a way of distracting Badass and the Breakers from their Stuffer Shack Spree, or give up.

Conversely, if the game world is full of people of unimpeachable mercenary qualifications who cream their jeans at the very thought of a call from Ug the Thug, Johnson to lowlife scum, then the would-be shadowrunners will have to either work for peanuts until they die alone in a firestorm of bullets they couldn't afford to prepare for, or go rogue simply to make the good money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012