Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Dragon of Aztlan?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
kirtimlak
CORRUPTED Great Dragon of Azis!!??

Hi.
Was reading The Clutch of Dragons and on the page 36(book)\38(pdf) found an astonishing comment of Man-of-Many-Names.

"> There are rumors that an escaped Azzie drake of considerable power is running around Central America. I suspect it may be one of those true drakes, but there aren’t any Azzie great dragons.
> Glasswalker

> That you know.
> Man-of-Many-Names"

And my mind started the race against time and managed to win it. One dusty corner had kept the following passage:

">>>>>[Hoi. Well. This dragon drek. Maybe I did see something. I didn’t want to say anything at first ’cause I didn’t want to get flamed. But hey, maybe it’s important. I don’t know.
I saw a dragon, an eastern dragon, landing on top of the Aztechnology pyramid in Tenochtitlán. Saw it from the astral. I was on a vision quest.
It was a big dragon, but there was something hinky about it. Something ... off about its aura. I didn’t like it.
It scared me. Black patches. Blank patches. Like you see when somebody’s got cyber, kind of—’cept the blank patches didn’t connect with the physical part of the dragon. They connected more with its mind, its essence. Its soul, maybe. And those patches kind of writhed …
It landed on the pyramid. Then it went inside. Last I saw of it.
But it was there. And it was big.]<<<<<
—Bobby Two Eagles (11:25:15/5-27-56)

:::::[JUNGLE CAT] He saw this on a vision quest?? That alarms me more than anything else.
:::::[WORDSMYTH] The source is questionable, Cat, despite what you might believe. But … black and blank patches in his aura that writhed?? That sounds like something of which this person should have no knowledge …
:::::[LADY OF THE COURT] Is it what I think it is?
:::::[HECATE] You are too young to have experienced it personally, my dear, but yes. It sounds like Corruption.
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] You would know, my dear.
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] QUIET! We are at the heart of the matter!
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] I thought we might be, old wyrm. And I’ll admit this requires further investigation—but additional supposition here is pointless. We’re treading on deep dark secrets I suspect we’d rather not bring up in mixed company. The wounds, for some, are too fresh … Oh, dear, now I’m sounding like the wordster.
:::::[WORDSMYTH] Remarkably, again I must agree with my painted friend. This sounds potentially dangerous; the implications are frightening. But if we are only going to wander into territory that causes dissent, we should stop, acquire more information, and then speak again.
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] Words! Words! How much more time will slip past? The cycles repeat themselves truly, do they not? You would all stand idly by while this horror continues until you can “research” it more and “discuss” it further?
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] I for one will not be inactive, my friend. Fate has already dragged me into this. I will continue my fight.
:::::[LADY OF THE COURT] Oh, please …"

It's from the book "Location Sourcebook - Aztlan", SR 3rd Edition.

Am i a slowpok again that didn't pay any attention at this ticklish info??? indifferent.gif

PS The passage from Dunkelzan's Will "To the first party to determine what lies behind the door of room 5B78 of the Aztechnology Pyramid in Tenochtitlán and file a report of their findings on Shadowland, I leave 5 million nuyen or medical care for the remainder of their natural life, whichever seems most appropriate." also popped up,

but that's nothing in comparison to bloody corrupted great dragon!!! eek.gif
Nath
QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 14 2014, 08:57 PM) *
It's from the book "Location Sourcebook - Aztlan", SR 3rd Edition.
Second edition. Published in 1995, and set in 2056.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Nath @ Feb 14 2014, 09:24 PM) *
Second edition. Published in 1995, and set in 2056.

Ye, of course, my bad.
Any ideas on the topic?
Sponge
Wow, that's some pretty corny writing. smile.gif "Let's not discuss this horrible ancient secret." "Yes, let's discuss how we're not going to talk about this horrible ancient secret."
kirtimlak
Even if we admit that we know ALL the great ones, the only Great Dragon that we know of and that could be corrupted is... Feuerschwinge.
She had PLENTY of time to get to Tenochtitlan...
Stahlseele
Feuerschwinge, the twisted Mutated Great Dragon of Radiation?
That Feuerschwinge? In Aztlan? Unlikely at best i guess.
Sendaz
Also Feuer is Western dragon (which sports wings) while your mystery flyer was Eastern (no wings, narrower body) in appearance.

Of course, a Great could just as easy morph its form, but in that case why fly in which will be noticed when they can just walk in the front/side door in a more compact form....

Also while taking other metahuman forms is not uncommon, you will find most dragons would be loathe to take on another spellwyrm's appearance as it is just poor manners, draconically speaking.

And it was more than one drake that got out from under the Azzie thumb....
Stahlseele
right. that. i forgot.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 14 2014, 10:46 PM) *
Also Feuer is Western dragon (which sports wings) while your mystery flyer was Eastern (no wings, narrower body) in appearance.

True again. How thoughtlessly. What then?
Maybe FASA has just put this storyline on the shelf?
've just read the SR2 Aztlan to the end.
1 - Someone has tought the Blood Magic to Azis.
2 - Turns out they have a Locus down there... somewhere... Again this door from Big_D's Will comes to mind.
3 - The best of the best Blood Spirits are summoned through sacrifice of... dracoforms. I wonder, where the public execution of Dzitbalchen is described?

Honestly, i do not think that anyone wants Aztlan as a great-bad-guys anymore. Less and less black and wite - more and more shades of grey((
kirtimlak
And it was more than one drake that got out from under the Azzie thumb....

No, here they are speaking about True Drakes

"There are other drakes, however—“true” drakes, beings
created by tremendous feats of draconic magic that are difficult
and strenuous for even the great dragons to perform. Accordingly,
the only true drakes of which foundation is aware serve Lofwyr,
Alamais, Ghostwalker, or Lung. Unlike the people who have
Awakened as drakes, these are dracoforms  first and metahumans
a distant second. Interacting with those who have come under
the Draco Foundation’s protection was o en like trying to have
a conversation with /dev/grrl." TCoD, 35

Of course, a Great could just as easy morph its form, but in that case why fly in which will be noticed when they can just walk in the front/side door in a more compact form....

Also while taking other metahuman forms is not uncommon, you will find most dragons would be loathe to take on another spellwyrm's appearance as it is just poor manners, draconically speaking.

Everyone makes mistakes. Az is based on blood magic for how many years? And only once some random Bobby randomly noticed it in great form. If any astral-perceiver could do it, i highly doubt that that this dragon appeared "outdoors" often.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 14 2014, 10:35 PM) *
Feuerschwinge, the twisted Mutated Great Dragon of Radiation?
That Feuerschwinge? In Aztlan? Unlikely at best i guess.

just the only wild guess i have.
u are one of the elder ones. Have you had any ideas 'bout that since 1995?
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Sponge @ Feb 14 2014, 09:41 PM) *
Wow, that's some pretty corny writing. smile.gif "Let's not discuss this horrible ancient secret." "Yes, let's discuss how we're not going to talk about this horrible ancient secret."

Exactly. Has any actions been taken by them? Maybe there are some official missions describing further Azi investigation, initiated by H. of Ehran?
Fatum
Ok, let's not lose our heads here. What we have is a mention of a corrupted dragon (pretty much proven by the discussion in Atzlan), and an off-hand mention that he could be a Great, which is proven by nothing at all (even if Man-of-Many-Names is a reputable shadowtalker, Clutch of Dragons is a late 4e high-quality book written and edited by CGL professionals). I wouldn't trust that notion too much.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 14 2014, 11:34 PM) *
Ok, let's not lose our heads here. What we have is a mention of a corrupted dragon (pretty much proven by the discussion in Atzlan), and an off-hand mention that he could be a Great, which is proven by nothing at all (even if Man-of-Many-Names is a reputable shadowtalker, Clutch of Dragons is a late 4e high-quality book written and edited by CGL professionals). I wouldn't trust that notion too much.

Considered.
At first i thought: Who could survive since the Theran Empire to pass the knowledge of Blood Magic to Azia?
The second thought - why should it be a living person? If it is majorly bound to specific places and background, cold the intuitive knowledge of it AWAKEN in a mortal, dwelling in proximity to a Locus in a construction that is (at least!) 5 000 years old?
FuelDrop
All I know is that this has inspired me...

Pity my players. Pity them.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Feb 14 2014, 11:55 PM) *
All I know is that this has inspired me...

Pity my players. Pity them.

Share your ideas when they take a form, be so un_kind! *devilish loughter*

Edited: "or medical care" - he said."...for the remainder of their natural life" - he said... NATURAL is the word that intrigues, doesn't it?
Nath
QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 14 2014, 11:47 PM) *
Who could survive since the Theran Empire to pass the knowledge of Blood Magic to Azia?
In Earthdawn era, blood magic was not the sole province of the Theran Empire. Such knowledge may come from another source. Blood Wood immortal elves for instance, or...

Dragons, page 44
Feathered dragons are most often found quite far from Barsaive, in the warm, tropical lands across the great ocean, near Araucania, where they are called Quetzal by the native Name-givers. [...]
Feather dragons are the only dragons to make any significant use of blood magic, specifically the more powerful and dangerous forms of blood magic that you know as death magic. They understand the fire that flows in the veins of dragonkind and, to a lesser degree, within all creatures. In their own lands, feathered dragons have used blood magic to heal the damage done to the land by the Scourge, repairing scars and making the jungles fertile once again.. The elves of the Blood Wood could take some lessons from the feathered dragons in using blood magic to enhance growth without twisting the land and its creatures beyond recognition.
There is a definite split among the feathered dragons concerning the different uses of blood magic. Some feathered dragons are strongly opposed to death magic: that is, blood magic used solely for power. These dragons consider death magic inherently wrong, and suggest that is partakes the power of the Horrors, and can only prolong the presence of those Horrors remaining since the Scourge. While they understand and appreciate the value of life magic, used to aid and restore life, these dragons see the two forms of blood magic as inextricably linked, and fear that use of one ype leads to use of the other. The second group of feathered dragons believe all forms of blood magic, whether life magic or death magic, are, like all magic, merely power: tool beyond good and evil, to be used for whatever ends they see fit. It saddens me that there are some among my kind who have failed to learn the lessons of the past. Perhaps most frightening about the feathered dragons' use of blood magic is their propagation of its use to other Name-givers. There are some feathered dragons who teach and encourage the use of blood magic, specifically death magic, among the Young Races that live near them. I do not understand the purpose of this practice, and I fear its ultimate consequences. Fortunately, this practice is not widespread, and most feathered dragons oppose passing such potentially dangerous knowledge on to others.
What began as a philosophical argument has grown over the years to become a a serious rift among feathered dragons (good enough reason to leave blood magic alone, in my view). I have heard tales from the hot lands of the south of feathered dragons fighting and even killing each other over the matter of blood magic. Some suggest there may be a Horror at work, corrupting some feathered dragons through the use of death magic. I cannot say, but I hope that reason prevails and the feathered dragons are able to settle their differences according to our tradition rather than repeating the mistakes of the past.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 14 2014, 11:17 PM) *
just the only wild guess i have.
u are one of the elder ones. Have you had any ideas 'bout that since 1995?

No.
And i think Ancient History once somewhere declared that door to be a MacGuffin only.
Some place where a GM can put whatever he wants there to be behind that door.
And seeing how he made the best compilation of Both immortals/Dragons and the Will
AND he was one of the FreeLancers for SR i am taking that to be true then.
hermit
At first i thought: Who could survive since the Theran Empire to pass the knowledge of Blood Magic to Azia?

-> a spirit
-> a Passion/Mentor/Totem/Idol
-> the sire of Deinastras (sic) - those immortal humans behind the Ordo Maximus
-> Mr. Darke
-> Thais
-> Harlequin, struck by an idea that seemed awesome at the time

To name just a few.
Fatum
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 15 2014, 03:18 AM) *
No.
And i think Ancient History once somewhere declared that door to be a MacGuffin only.
Some place where a GM can put whatever he wants there to be behind that door.
And seeing how he made the best compilation of Both immortals/Dragons and the Will
AND he was one of the FreeLancers for SR i am taking that to be true then.
That's how a lot of stuff used to work in SR, and sadly doesn't anymore.
Stahlseele
Thais i could see working . . half snake lower body half human upper body, wings and son of an IE and a Horror(don't ask)
Fatum
Now, the real question would be who taught Howling Coyote magic, and if the CIA had that someone assassinated in revenge.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 15 2014, 01:23 AM) *
Now, the real question would be who taught Howling Coyote magic, and if the CIA had that someone assassinated in revenge.

He was a shaman.
So Coyote did it.
Sengir
QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 14 2014, 09:57 PM) *
Even if we admit that we know ALL the great ones, the only Great Dragon that we know of and that could be corrupted is... Feuerschwinge.
She had PLENTY of time to get to Tenochtitlan...

I'm pretty sure there was a corrupted great in Earthdawn already...
Neraph
QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 14 2014, 05:08 PM) *
Share your ideas when they take a form, be so un_kind! *devilish loughter*

Edited: "or medical care" - he said."...for the remainder of their natural life" - he said... NATURAL is the word that intrigues, doesn't it?

Well, those magical burns will kill you, naturally.
Prime Mover
Iirc two dragons mentioned In Augmentation connected to Aztec and at least one other mentioned in 4thEd.
Big D it seems also had serious holdings in Aztec. Mr Darke and his horror servants seemed to serve interests in the company, but didnt seem controled by it.
kirtimlak

Manitu? Had an idea of crossing SR and Deadlands long ago. Didn't work out.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Nath @ Feb 15 2014, 12:14 AM) *
Blood Wood immortal elves for instance, or...

The "or..." part. Dzitbalchén set by Pobre not only for political, influence and national Mayan vs. Aztec reasons. That's too simple.
I like the idea of an unknown Great One)) The shadow inspirer of Mr. Darke, a two Ages old adversary of Dunk, maybe...

Thanks for the opinion and quote!
Nath
The novel World Without End mentionned Thais, the supernatural, demi-Horror "son" of Aina, was in South Dakota in 1890 and met Wovoka, the shaman of the original Ghost Dance.

This suggests the author's intention either was that Thais taught Wovoka of the Paiute tribe a working magical techniques that somehow passed on to Daniel Coleman of the Ute tribe (while no one involved in its transmission could actually test it), or that Thais may have returned to find a new pupil.

Coleman evaded from Abilene in December 2011 only using "standard" magic. The first use of big magic attributed to the SAIM is Redondo Peak eruption in June 2014, followed by a communique in which Coleman mentions the Ghost Dance. IMO, it is a likely scenario that Coleman awakened as a shaman and learned spells from his Coyote totem at first, evaded and took the head of the SAIM, and only then someone, supposedly Thais, saw the opportunity and came to teach him blood magic and the Ghost Dance.
hermit

The CIA didn't assassinate them. It was the Free Marine Corps.

I'm pretty sure there was a corrupted great in Earthdawn already...

The Despoiler was killed in a Red Brick supplement though.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (hermit @ Feb 15 2014, 12:35 PM) *

that sort of spoils my theory((
kirtimlak

Ah! That's wgat they are talking about in Aztlan 2nd! But what IS this Corp? In a few words, if you please.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Nath @ Feb 15 2014, 11:48 AM) *
The novel World Without End mentionned Thais, the supernatural, demi-Horror "son" of Aina, was in South Dakota in 1890 and met Wovoka, the shaman of the original Ghost Dance.

This suggests the author's intention either was that Thais taught Wovoka of the Paiute tribe a working magical techniques that somehow passed on to Daniel Coleman of the Ute tribe (while no one involved in its transmission could actually test it), or that Thais may have returned to find a new pupil.

Coleman evaded from Abilene in December 2011 only using "standard" magic. The first use of big magic attributed to the SAIM is Redondo Peak eruption in June 2014, followed by a communique in which Coleman mentions the Ghost Dance. IMO, it is a likely scenario that Coleman awakened as a shaman and learned spells from his Coyote totem at first, evaded and took the head of the SAIM, and only then someone, supposedly Thais, saw the opportunity and came to teach him blood magic and the Ghost Dance.

Weekend of revelations! Thanks. It didn't make any sense to me: the GGD was held by Howling Coyote but Frosty wished they had killed Coleman.
Beaumis
QUOTE (hermit @ Feb 15 2014, 07:35 AM) *

Barsaive at War was published in 2000. Atzlan was published in 1995. The original comments could in fact refer to Vestrivan. At that point, he was, supposedly, alive.

I do agree that Thais seems a more likely culprit though. He is part horror, matches the description and should be off the radar of most people involved in that discussion, with the exception of Harlequin.
Demonseed Elite
Vestrivian the Despoiler's body was never recovered though, so proof of his demise is elusive. He flew into a Horror Cloud in Barsaive at War and vanished.

The Aztlan chapter of Shadows of Latin America (which I wrote and can be found in the link in my signature) made some references along this line of discussion.
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Feb 15 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Vestrivian the Despoiler's body was never recovered though, so proof of his demise is elusive. He flew into a Horror Cloud in Barsaive at War and vanished.

The Aztlan chapter of Shadows of Latin America (which I wrote and can be found in the link in my signature) made some references along this line of discussion.

Makes sense.

I have not read SoLA thoroughly, now i'll deffinitely will. It's a pity it was left to be an "apocryph".
bannockburn
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Feb 15 2014, 07:40 PM) *

He's also (possibly) mentioned in SoA, 2005:

QUOTE (Shadows of Asia @ p. 137)
> I was the only survivor of a smuggling ship that wandered into a mana storm’s path. We were offshore from the Crimea when it engulfed us. I saw many terrors that drove my shipmates insane, but the worst of it was the thing that came at me before I blacked out. I don’t know if it was a dragon, a monster or a demon from the depths of Hell, but it spoke incomprehensible words to me that are seared—seared!—into my memory.
> Boatswift

> Surely it’s not the Despoiler he sees?
> Miss Tick

> If it is, then let Sunset Blossom take care of him. Her mess, her responsibility.
> Feng Xiansheng

On the topic of Aztlan's supposed great corrupted dragon:
It's been alluded to there being different kinds of blood magic, some horrifically evil, others less so (such as the Amazonia and possibly Tír Tairngire reforestation), though not without debate about it. I seem to remember from somewhere that feathered serpents are the foremost (or only) users among dragonkind, but I can't for the life cite a source.
A corrupted dragon could simply mean a dragon who is using blood magic, because it carries a stigma. As Vestrivan is a western dragon, I would doubt that he is who Dunkelzahn is alluding to.
Instead it could be an as yet unnamed great dragon who's in cahoots with the evil parts of Aztlan's government.

Unfortunately, I'm also pretty convinced that this particular storyline is wholly abandoned.
Sendaz
You know for all the power and wisdom these ancients possess, they sure do love to pass the buck whenever possible. nyahnyah.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 16 2014, 03:26 AM) *
You know for all the power and wisdom these ancients possess, they sure do love to pass the buck whenever possible. nyahnyah.gif
this is how we know they possess the wisdom and the power. nyahnyah.gif
Sengir

I'll take your word for it, but since this was after ED stopped being with FASA, it would no longer have been Shadowrun's 4th world at that point wink.gif

QUOTE (kirtimlak @ Feb 15 2014, 06:05 PM) *
But what IS this Corp? In a few words, if you please.

An amalgamation of fanwankery describing soldiers who are so invincible and patriotic and well-endowed and pure of heart and [...] that reading anything related to it causes severe cerebral damage from head-to-desk syndrome.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 15 2014, 07:40 PM) *
An amalgamation of fanwankery describing soldiers who are so invincible and patriotic and well-endowed and pure of heart and [...] that reading anything related to it causes severe cerebral damage from head-to-desk syndrome.

When any organization gets a glowing review from Kane, you know you should be reaching for the salt shaker. wink.gif
hermit
When any organization gets a glowing review from Kane, you know you should be reaching for the salt shaker..

You have forgotten stormfront, have you? Not that I blame you. It's easier that way.

> If it is, then let Sunset Blossom take care of him. Her mess, her responsibility.
> Feng Xiansheng

Ah right, I wondered about that when I read SoLA. So no body was found, and he is still alive (possibly). Anyone got an idea who this Sunset Blossom is, and why is this her mess?
bannockburn
I'm more interested in who Feng Xiansheng is, TBH. Miss Tick is pretty clear.

And it's ambiguous enough so that (s)he may be talking not about the despoiler, but rather this Boatswift person.
After all, the incomprehensible words are seared into their memory. Horror mark anyone? This may be a call to liquidate Boatswift. And in this light, one could surmise that Sunset Blossom may be Arleesh, since she's known to destroy things connected to the Horrors.
hermit
Hm. Arleesh makes sense in that context. Miss Tick is one of Alachia's troll the mortals accounts. Isn't Feng soneone from Shaanxi?
Nath
QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 16 2014, 01:40 AM) *
I'll take your word for it, but since this was after ED stopped being with FASA, it would no longer have been Shadowrun's 4th world at that point wink.gif
I don't care, SR stopped being with FASA since Year of the Comet, so it's no longer Earthdawn's Sixth World at that point wink.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Feb 16 2014, 10:20 AM) *
I'm more interested in who Feng Xiansheng is, TBH. Miss Tick is pretty clear.

And it's ambiguous enough so that (s)he may be talking not about the despoiler, but rather this Boatswift person.
After all, the incomprehensible words are seared into their memory. Horror mark anyone? This may be a call to liquidate Boatswift. And in this light, one could surmise that Sunset Blossom may be Arleesh, since she's known to destroy things connected to the Horrors.

Feng Xiansheng seems to point to Lung: Crimsondudes Post
bannockburn
Would have been my guess, too, considering the general subject.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (hermit @ Feb 16 2014, 03:33 AM) *
Anyone got an idea who this Sunset Blossom is, and why is this her mess?

Mmhm, I have an idea who Sunset Blossom is. It touches on Earthdawn references I made in writing I did for Shadowrun that I don't think the Dumpshock conspiracy theorists have ever connected. wink.gif
Demonseed Elite
Let me be less of a tease. Here's a hint to get the ball rolling.

QUOTE (Shadows of Asia @ page 72)
She towers over other Tibetan women and is strikingly beautiful, with her black hair tied back in a single long braid and unusual eyes that are the color of the bronze monastery bells.

QUOTE (The Ork Nation of Cara Fahd @ page 93)
She's tall for a human, larger than most of us--a giant compared to the little Cathay folk. She's got hair as black as jet and strange yellow-bronze eyes that don't blink more than once a minute. Unsettling.

There are many more connections and hints, mostly found in Shadows of Asia, The Ork Nation of Cara Fahd, Barsaive at War, and the revised release of Earthdawn's Dragons sourcebook.
bannockburn
Dvilgaynon, then?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012