Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad can a run go?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Umidori
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Apr 26 2014, 06:02 PM) *
100% agreement from me. If all you ever play is pixie dust, frollicking through the happy meadow, and rainbow unicorn farts then you ain't playing any SR game I want to be a part of. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. It's not what goes well that is a character's defining moment, it's how they handle getting all their shit took, their cat assassinated, and a kick in the nads from their now-ex significant other.

It vexes me how you equate an inexperienced player making foolish mistakes that the GM didn't warn them about with stereotypical "Childishness", as if that were 1) in any way accurate or 2) in any way applicable. Such elitist bullshit.

The "rainbow comparison" especially annoys me, because it gets used to belittle anything that isn't edgy Grimdark nonsense. You're equating being a less skilled or experienced player - or even just one with a different personal taste than yours - with being a child: which quite obviously is something you despise. In the process you belie just how immature you yourself actually are about the concept of having fun by playing pretend, which is exactly what this game is.

Not all Shadowrun players are as "seasoned" as yourself. If you want to laugh at them for not having fun at their table, for their GM being a malicious and toxic tyrant who'd rather punish his players than teach them and cooperate with them, then at least have the decency to do it privately.

~Umi
toturi
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 08:19 AM) *
Not all Shadowrun players are as "seasoned" as yourself. If you want to laugh at them for not having fun at their table, for their GM being a malicious and toxic tyrant who'd rather punish his players than teach them and cooperate with them, then at least have the decency to do it privately.

~Umi

More "Grimdark" than thou?
Umidori
I am Vengeance...
I am The Night...
I...!
Am...!
Grimdark!

~ninja.gif
Cain
Back in the days of SR1, I recall a GM who liked to capture and forcibly implant any magician PC he could lay hands on with as much useless cyber as he could think of. This was before The Grimoire came out, so even if you escaped with some Essence left, your lost magic was gone forever-- Initiation didn't exist yet. Also, thanks to the fact cybersurgery rules weren't out yet, there was no way to get rid of unwanted cyber. You couldn't just save up and replace it with something else, you were stuck with it. And he was perfectly aware of all this; he just didn't like magical PC's, and thus targeted them. Mind you, he loved his magical Mary-Sue NPC's, this was the guy who later had us riding around in a convertible with "Steve" aka Harlequin aka Q.

So, TJ, others: if that happened to you, would you "rise to the challenge"? Or would you realize that the GM is being a bastard, and start looking for another game?

Umidori
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 26 2014, 05:40 PM) *
So, TJ, others: if that happened to you, would you "rise to the challenge"? Or would you realize that the GM is being a bastard, and start looking for another game?

I find most people have this odd duality about judging difficulty levels.

If Player A finds a certain task easy, then in their mind everyone else should find it easy too, and anyone who doesn't is a "noob" / "crybaby" / et cetera.

If Player A finds a certain task to be impossibly difficult, then in their mind everyone else should find it impossibly difficult too, and thus they deem it an "unfair comparison", because "no one" could find that task easy.

It's not a conscious sort of thing, so I can't really blame folks for it - even I fall prey to the tendency. The important thing is recognizing it and working to be more aware of one's own biases and limited vantage point.

~Umi
Cain
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 26 2014, 04:53 PM) *
I find most people have this odd duality about judging difficulty levels.

If Player A finds a certain task easy, then in their mind everyone else should find it easy too, and anyone who doesn't is a "noob" / "crybaby" / et cetera.

If Player A finds a certain task to be impossibly difficult, then in their mind everyone else should find it impossibly difficult too, and thus they deem it an "unfair comparison", because "no one" could find that task easy.

It's not a conscious sort of thing, so I can't really blame folks for it - even I fall prey to the tendency. The important thing is recognizing it and working to be more aware of one's own biases and limited vantage point.

~Umi

I've done that, certainly. But sometimes, it's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of the GM being difficult. Forcing a mage to burnout is in the second category, especially since there weren't any rules to recover.
Umidori
Oh, I agree.

I just also think that for those people who would legitimately would see being screwed by the GM as an appealing challenge, it is reasonable to expect they would have a difficult time imagining why someone else would not enjoy it like they do.

~Umi
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 12:27 PM) *
Oh, I agree.

I just also think that for those people who would legitimately would see being screwed by the GM as an appealing challenge, it is reasonable to expect they would have a difficult time imagining why someone else would not enjoy it like they do.

~Umi

GM screwing over players is different to GM with kid gloves off. Former is bad, latter is good.
toturi
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Apr 27 2014, 11:23 AM) *
GM screwing over players is different to GM with kid gloves off. Former is bad, latter is good.

But the GM taking the kid gloves off may well be an early indicator of the GM screwing the players. If the GM wants to screw the players, he needs to take the kid gloves off first.
Umidori
It's a lot like BDSM. It's cool if you're the sort of person who is into that, and you enjoy a bit of rough play. But just because you like it, doesn't mean everyone will, or that you have any right to mock or belittle those who don't.

And if you're actually the one running the show? Remember that it involves things like trust, and being able to read people. If you just break out the whips and chains on someone who isn't suspecting it, and they don't enjoy it, you're the one at fault.

Plenty of folks like a bit of "challenge". But the tables where this works are the ones where the players and the GMs all go into it aware of how things work, mutually agreeing to the rules of their little "challenging" world, and trusting each other to know the appropriate limits and boundaries, and to not make people genuinely uncomfortable. As soon as things stop being fun for anyone involved, it goes from being a game to simply being sadistic abuse.

If your table is great, and your GM is fabulous, and you've never run into serious problems when facing a "challenge", ask yourself why, exactly, that is.

Maybe it's because you trust your GM. Maybe it's because you know that they want you to enjoy yourself, and maybe it's because you know that the moment it stops being fun you can tell them and they'll work with you to fix that problem. Maybe it's because you don't even have to say anything - maybe your GM can read you well enough to know without words whether you're enjoying the rough play, or whether you're really, really not. Maybe it's because you know that even if your GM does fuck up somehow and ruin your fun, they won't laugh at you and call you a child for not enjoying the abuse they chose to dish out.

~Umi
psychophipps
Actually Umi, I had simply stated that I'm not interested in games where doing something non-optimal doesn't have consequences, albeit in my own outrageous fashion. Where the rest of that rant came from is a complete mystery to me as, well...I wrote the post you were ranting about.
Teulisch
im a bit surprised that my own post got such hostility.... i had expected somewhat better of this forum than cheap shots from someone trying to start a flame-war.

the group in question refused to think, do legwork, sandbox, or otherwise interact with the game world in any way beyond a kind of 'theme park ride' approach to doing the mission presented. so naturally, i was slowly ramping up the threat levels to try and get them to notice their screw-ups. ive seen the same behavior in other games, so its a problem with the players themselves, and one of the reasons i no longer game with that group. these were not new players. the rigger in question had GMed shadowrun(3rd) before himself. despite having played before, some of them still asked 'what do i roll?' on a regular basis.

sometimes runs go wrong. most of these times its because the players made a major screw-up with their basic plan, such as refusing to do any legwork. failing to do ANY research into the site where the run takes place results in consequences. also when the decker only rolls dice when the team asks him to... hes really not doing his job, and that means parts of the plan never even got done by him. this results in things like a fake SIN being investigated by lonestar, or Aztechnology implanting cortex bombs.
ShadowDragon8685
That doesn't mean it's okay to literally fuck over a PC to the point where the player would be literally better off having his character eat his own gun and roll up another one, then berate him as childish when the player says "fuck this, I'm going."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 26 2014, 06:00 PM) *
TJ, I'm sure you would enjoy the challenge, but we've established many times over you are something of an exception.

Furthermore, surely you admit the response to the player's mistakes was overblown, unrealistic, and even downright malicious on the part of the GM?

Sometimes a challenge can be fun. The trick for a GM is knowing when that's true, and when it fucking well is not. If you saddle a player with a challenge they feel they cannot overcome, (even if they actually can) you've fucked up. If overcoming a challenge that is within their power to handle is still going to take more time and effort and frustration than it would to simply make a new character, and the player isn't willing to make that deal ahead of time, you've fucked up. If the player feels that a challenge has been unfairly imposed, you've fucked up. If a player feels that you are punishing them, you've fucked up.

This all is highly variable, because it's all based on player feelings. If the GM isn't able to properly predict player reaction, they are unfit to be a GM. If they aren't willing to alter the mission or situation somehow to better suit player feelings, they are unfit to be a GM. If they obviously ruin a player's fun and then mock that player for being upset, they are unfit to be GM - and in my opinion need to go soak their heads and think about why they're such assholes.

~Umi

You are right...
It is about feelings more than anything else. I would say that the GMs actions MIGHT have been overblown (But I would say he reacted appropriately, from his description of the scenario), but only if he did not give the player/character ways to recover from that loss and make his character cool again. In my case, the character spent about 7-8 sessions in Prison before managing to get out (and I played a different character while that was happening). When I got out, I had enough funds squirreled away (plus a little bit gained form my extraction contract) to recover some baseline gear, get a bit of General ware, and rejoin the team with a new face and identity. But then, my GM rocks when it comes to stuff like that. Did I get all my stuff back? Not by a long ways, but a 300+ Karma Character is STILL a 300+ Karma character, even with his gear mostly scrapped. Given a bit of time and effort (and another 100 Karma or so), he managed to recoup most of what he lost, had a slightly different 'Ware buildout, Managed to get better vehicles and drones and STILL filled pretty much the same niche as before. My point is that the situation is not a game ender unless the player and the GM cannot work it out. Getting offended the second it happened seemed a bit extreme to me, personally.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 26 2014, 06:40 PM) *
Back in the days of SR1, I recall a GM who liked to capture and forcibly implant any magician PC he could lay hands on with as much useless cyber as he could think of. This was before The Grimoire came out, so even if you escaped with some Essence left, your lost magic was gone forever-- Initiation didn't exist yet. Also, thanks to the fact cybersurgery rules weren't out yet, there was no way to get rid of unwanted cyber. You couldn't just save up and replace it with something else, you were stuck with it. And he was perfectly aware of all this; he just didn't like magical PC's, and thus targeted them. Mind you, he loved his magical Mary-Sue NPC's, this was the guy who later had us riding around in a convertible with "Steve" aka Harlequin aka Q.

Fortunately for me, I am capable of talking with those GM's, and I have had a few. Situation resolved and game progressed. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 12:51 AM) *
It's a lot like BDSM. It's cool if you're the sort of person who is into that, and you enjoy a bit of rough play. But just because you like it, doesn't mean everyone will, or that you have any right to mock or belittle those who don't.

And if you're actually the one running the show? Remember that it involves things like trust, and being able to read people. If you just break out the whips and chains on someone who isn't suspecting it, and they don't enjoy it, you're the one at fault.

Plenty of folks like a bit of "challenge". But the tables where this works are the ones where the players and the GMs all go into it aware of how things work, mutually agreeing to the rules of their little "challenging" world, and trusting each other to know the appropriate limits and boundaries, and to not make people genuinely uncomfortable. As soon as things stop being fun for anyone involved, it goes from being a game to simply being sadistic abuse.

If your table is great, and your GM is fabulous, and you've never run into serious problems when facing a "challenge", ask yourself why, exactly, that is.

Maybe it's because you trust your GM. Maybe it's because you know that they want you to enjoy yourself, and maybe it's because you know that the moment it stops being fun you can tell them and they'll work with you to fix that problem. Maybe it's because you don't even have to say anything - maybe your GM can read you well enough to know without words whether you're enjoying the rough play, or whether you're really, really not. Maybe it's because you know that even if your GM does fuck up somehow and ruin your fun, they won't laugh at you and call you a child for not enjoying the abuse they chose to dish out.

~Umi

Something else that may be a factor too...

Many players have a great aversion to capture (or loss, failure, whatever), and so choose the route of "Death before Dishonor."
In my experience, those who abhor capture are the first ones to complain about the GM being a prick for spoiling their fun.

A character that is only ever successful is a boring character (in my opinion), because growth does not come from success, but from failure (and getting the snot kicked out of you, or losing your stuff, losing your friends, etc). Yes, you can fail without ever being captured and forcibly stripped of stuff, or forcibly implanted, or whatever, but it is that fear that results in many of the attitudes I have seen over the last 25 or so years of gaming. In my experience, the narrative is far better when the character has trials and tribulations to go along with his successes and triumphs. smile.gif
psychophipps
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 27 2014, 11:20 AM) *
Something else that may be a factor too...

Many players have a great aversion to capture (or loss, failure, whatever), and so choose the route of "Death before Dishonor."
In my experience, those who abhor capture are the first ones to complain about the GM being a prick for spoiling their fun.

A character that is only ever successful is a boring character (in my opinion), because growth does not come from success, but from failure (and getting the snot kicked out of you, or losing your stuff, losing your friends, etc). Yes, you can fail without ever being captured and forcibly stripped of stuff, or forcibly implanted, or whatever, but it is that fear that results in many of the attitudes I have seen over the last 25 or so years of gaming. In my experience, the narrative is far better when the character has trials and tribulations to go along with his successes and triumphs. smile.gif

Bingo!

There were plenty of directions the player could have gone, even with all his character rigger goodies being gone. Don't forget that the van and the drones were impounded not exploded. Go to the impound that night, Lone Star Technical Division is notoriously overworked after all, and sneak/hack/drive/shoot your way out through the side fence. Worked in Gone in 60 Seconds and Raw Deal.
Umidori
It's not about it being possible to recover from. It's about recovery being something the player is prepared to do, or even realizing they can do.

TJ's example of a player being stuck in prison? Yeah, see, clearly he's cool with that. He understands and accepts that as a part of the game at his GM's table. He and the GM have a working relationship of trust and understanding, where TJ accepts that if he fucks up, he has to play a separate character for awhile.

It also helps that TJ's character is a friggen' 300+ karma behemoth, and that TJ himself is a 25+ year veteran of tabletop gaming. I'd wager he has played with his GM for decades.

Teulisch claims that everything was the players' faults - that he was just being a good little GM, while those meanie players weren't taking things seriously enough. I mean, they were committing such atrocities as asking what they're supposed to roll. How dare they ask the GM for guidance! It's not like it's the GM's job to guide the players through the game system when they don't know things!

They had "played before", so clearly they should be masters of the system! If you've played a half dozen games, you should be just as proficient with this world and mechanics as if you had played ten times as many! And even if you've played sixty times rather than just six, it's not like some people learn game systems at different rates! And even if they did, isn't it perfectly acceptable to deride and mock those who don't learn as fast as you do or did?

Let's take Teulisch at his word. Let's assume he just had a bad crop of players. Let's even assume he did everything a reasonable person would do to try and guide them out of their bad habits with diplomacy and discourse, explaining things, answering questions, reinforcing good behaviors, all that good stuff.

At that point, he should have just walked away from the table. He should have said, "Guys, this isn't working. You all know my concerns - after all, we've talked about them at length. At this point, I don't know what else to do. I'm not having fun, and I just can't seem to impart you with the knowledge and good habits I feel are necessary for this game. It's not your fault - there are no bad students, only bad teachers. I just wasn't up to the task. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think I can be your GM any more. No hard feelings, and I wish you luck finding a new GM. I'll talk to some of my other gaming buddies and maybe one of them will be interested and available. Even if not, you can always come to me for help and guidance if one of you would like to take over as GM yourself."

But no. He never got that far. He never stopped and tried to explain things patiently, diplomatically, reasonably. He just expected them to magically "get on his level" and start playing the game the way he expected it to be played, their own expectations be damned. He wasn't going to waste time talking out their differences and problems. That's for suckers.

He decided he was just gonna bring the hammer down on a group of players who obviously didn't understand the consequences of their actions. He was gonna hand the toddler a fork and point him in the direction of the electrical socket, and when that unsuspecting nitwit received a nasty jolt, he was gonna laugh at them. Because fuck 'em, right?

~Umi
psychophipps
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 06:35 PM) *
It's not about it being possible to recover from. It's about recovery being something the player is prepared to do, or even realizing they can do.

TJ's example of a player being stuck in prison? Yeah, see, clearly he's cool with that. He understands and accepts that as a part of the game at his GM's table. He and the GM have a working relationship of trust and understanding, where TJ accepts that if he fucks up, he has to play a separate character for awhile.

It also helps that TJ's character is a friggen' 300+ karma behemoth, and that TJ himself is a 25+ year veteran of tabletop gaming. I'd wager he has played with his GM for decades.

Teulisch claims that everything was the players' faults - that he was just being a good little GM, while those meanie players weren't taking things seriously enough. I mean, they were committing such atrocities as asking what they're supposed to roll. How dare they ask the GM for guidance! It's not like it's the GM's job to guide the players through the game system when they don't know things!

They had "played before", so clearly they should be masters of the system! If you've played a half dozen games, you should be just as proficient with this world and mechanics as if you had played ten times as many! And even if you've played sixty times rather than just six, it's not like some people learn game systems at different rates! And even if they did, isn't it perfectly acceptable to deride and mock those who don't learn as fast as you do or did?

Let's take Teulisch at his word. Let's assume he just had a bad crop of players. Let's even assume he did everything a reasonable person would do to try and guide them out of their bad habits with diplomacy and discourse, explaining things, answering questions, reinforcing good behaviors, all that good stuff.

At that point, he should have just walked away from the table. He should have said, "Guys, this isn't working. You all know my concerns - after all, we've talked about them at length. At this point, I don't know what else to do. I'm not having fun, and I just can't seem to impart you with the knowledge and good habits I feel are necessary for this game. It's not your fault - there are no bad students, only bad teachers. I just wasn't up to the task. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think I can be your GM any more. No hard feelings, and I wish you luck finding a new GM. I'll talk to some of my other gaming buddies and maybe one of them will be interested and available. Even if not, you can always come to me for help and guidance if one of you would like to take over as GM yourself."

But no. He never got that far. He never stopped and tried to explain things patiently, diplomatically, reasonably. He just expected them to magically "get on his level" and start playing the game the way he expected it to be played, their own expectations be damned. He wasn't going to waste time talking out their differences and problems. That's for suckers.

He decided he was just gonna bring the hammer down on a group of players who obviously didn't understand the consequences of their actions. He was gonna hand the toddler a fork and point him in the direction of the electrical socket, and when that unsuspecting nitwit received a nasty jolt, he was gonna laugh at them. Because fuck 'em, right?

~Umi

For some reason, we're getting completely different rigger getting his goodies took story from the OP of the post this discussion is about. It's Ok, but I fail to see a single "Cthulhu pops into Seattle wearing power armor. Roll initiative, bitch!"/GM being a complete prick moment in the post. What I saw was a player making a bonehead move like parking their rigger van full of illegal goodies at their own apartment (for fucks sake!) after the GM confirmed that this was the one, and only, place the player wanted his character's box o' goodies to be parked. After a bad run.

So the player fucked up. Whoop-dee-doo! You can either cowboy/girl up and figure it out, maybe make getting your goodies back through an adventure or something, or you can do what this player did and simply walk away without even trying to work with the GM to solve the problem. Now the GM might have been a complete prick, that happens, but the rigger part of the story wasn't an example of it, IMO. Sometimes players do stupid shit, it happens, but it's not the GM's job to give them reconciliatory blowjobs every time something bad happens because of said stupid shit.
Umidori
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Apr 27 2014, 06:04 PM) *
For some reason, we're getting completely different rigger getting his goodies took story from the OP of the post this discussion is about. It's Ok, but I fail to see a single "Cthulhu pops into Seattle wearing power armor. Roll initiative, bitch!"/GM being a complete prick moment in the post.

I'm not interested in scope or scale, I'm interested in principle. I don't care if the GM dropped a friggen' Thor shot on the character, or if they just made it so their SoyCola was unpleasantly warm and flat, I simply personally disagree with the principle of teaching by punishment.

What I saw was a player making a bonehead move like parking their rigger van full of illegal goodies at their own apartment (for fucks sake!) after the GM confirmed that this was the one, and only, place the player wanted his character's box o' goodies to be parked. After a bad run.

And what I saw was a player who didn't understand the ramifications of their actions, and who suffered GM determined consequences more severe than they were willing to cope with. The GM was more interested in punishing the player than in ensuring that the game remained fun.

So the player fucked up. Whoop-dee-doo! You can either cowboy/girl up and figure it out, maybe make getting your goodies back through an adventure or something, or you can do what this player did and simply walk away without even trying to work with the GM to solve the problem.

Wow. That is a colossal buck pass. According to you it's the player's fault? We're right back to the elitist bullshit of "everyone needs to get on my level", blaming the inexperienced for not being experienced. How dare they not have the same understanding and expectations of the game as the GM! Who do they think they are, not knowing what to expect from this GM who refuses to communicate except in the form of punishment? It's his right as GM to correct mistakes via negative reinforcement, right?

Now the GM might have been a complete prick, that happens, but the rigger part of the story wasn't an example of it, IMO. Sometimes players do stupid shit, it happens, but it's not the GM's job to give them reconciliatory blowjobs every time something bad happens because of said stupid shit.

So you excuse the GM being a complete prick because "that happens", but the player is at fault because they made a mistake and the GM decided that the appropriate response was to ruin their fun. This is a gorram game, folks. People are supposed to enjoy themselves. And it is the job of the Game Master to ensure that everyone has fun.

I'm sorry that you equate a GM being positive and helpful toward a clearly inexperienced player with some crass sexual debasement. If you aren't prepared to deal reasonably with inexperienced players making mistakes, you aren't prepared to be a GM for them. Not everyone can handle the job - there are plenty of GMs who are only any good GMing when it's for their close friends and longtime players, because then the players handle a lot of the work for them.

It's a lot like being a teacher. Some people just aren't cut out for it, even if they make for perfectly acceptable teacher's assistants. They can do all the vital tasks of assigning coursework, handing out papers, grading tests, and all the rest of the little tasks that keep the class running smoothly and which facilitate the students performing their work - but they just aren't prepared to stop and instruct those individuals who are having problems with the materials. They don't have the training or the patience or the acumen to deal with students who need guidance - all they have is a big red pen to mark off failing scores with, so they set to handing out those bad marks with gusto. Who cares if the students fail? After all, education is about separating the winners from the losers, not ensuring that people learn things!

~Umi
psychophipps
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 07:38 PM) *
I'm not interested in scope or scale, I'm interested in principle. I don't care if the GM dropped a friggen' Thor shot on the character, or if they just made it so their SoyCola was unpleasantly warm and flat, I simply personally disagree with the principle of teaching by punishment.

And what I saw was a player who didn't understand the ramifications of their actions, and who suffered GM determined consequences more severe than they were willing to cope with. The GM was more interested in punishing the player than in ensuring that the game remained fun.

Wow. That is a colossal buck pass. According to you it's the player's fault? We're right back to the elitist bullshit of "everyone needs to get on my level", blaming the inexperienced for not being experienced. How dare they not have the same understanding and expectations of the game as the GM! Who do they think they are, not knowing what to expect from this GM who refuses to communicate except in the form of punishment? It's his right as GM to correct mistakes via negative reinforcement, right?

So you excuse the GM being a complete prick because "that happens", but the player is at fault because they made a mistake and the GM decided that the appropriate response was to ruin their fun. This is a gorram game, folks. People are supposed to enjoy themselves. And it is the job of the Game Master to ensure that everyone has fun.

I'm sorry that you equate a GM being positive and helpful toward a clearly inexperienced player with some crass sexual debasement. If you aren't prepared to deal reasonably with inexperienced players making mistakes, you aren't prepared to be a GM for them. Not everyone can handle the job - there are plenty of GMs who are only any good GMing when it's for their close friends and longtime players, because then the players handle a lot of the work for them.

It's a lot like being a teacher. Some people just aren't cut out for it, even if they make for perfectly acceptable teacher's assistants. They can do all the vital tasks of assigning coursework, handing out papers, grading tests, and all the rest of the little tasks that keep the class running smoothly and which facilitate the students performing their work - but they just aren't prepared to stop and instruct those individuals who are having problems with the materials. They don't have the training or the patience or the acumen to deal with students who need guidance - all they have is a big red pen to mark off failing scores with, so they set to handing out those bad marks with gusto. Who cares if the students fail? After all, education is about separating the winners from the losers, not ensuring that people learn things!

~Umi

But the issue to me is that the player didn't even give the game a chance to see if it could still be fun. The player made two rapidfire assumptions. First, they assumed that the question about where they parked their van wasn't important despite the GM double-checking (red flag, anyone?). Second, they assumed (just like you did upon hearing the story), "Bad thing happened, thus fun is completely impossible for the player to have with this game ever again." Well dude, assumption is often the mother of Clusterfuck. If the player had even tried to continue after the bad situation due to pulling a dumbass then, yeah, it's 100% GM fault if all the player got was the RPG equivalent of a cock-block. I'm sorry, but I have seen far too many ragequits over even more minor hiccups than the one in the aforementioned story in the 29 years I've been a tabletop gamer to firmly place the blame 100% on the GM's plate in this case.

I cut my megacorporate dystopia gaming teeth on Cyberpunk, where in the base rulebooks (it was a boxed set) it says (paraphrased), "Screw them over. It's Cyberpunk. Things break and people die. Life sucks. Wear a hat." There is a corporation in that game, if you're not familiar, called Arasaka. Arasaka is the leader in the game world of security services and security technology. They offer everything from ADT-type home security systems to full-on multi-layer Secret Service-style protective technologies and security details including full netrunner (spyder) support. They have a reputation for taking their reputation very seriously, by which I mean that if they found out that your character fucked with them, they will hunt your character down like a dog (expense being no object) and make them die the (proverbial) death of a thousand papercuts. They will then use a Trauma Team (Docwagon) card to resuscitate the character's bitchass, roll their body in rock salt, and then proceed to kill them again. Then they will post the video on all the internet mercenary websites.

So yeah, harsh-ass shit.

I have played with everyone from first-time gamers to old hands like myself. You're typing at the semi-official "character bitch" in pretty much any group I have played in because I love to get the player's creative juices flowing while I describe the game world and what each job offers to the party. I also have the patience to guide the new players through the often long creation process, all the math involved being fully explained, while also offering some helpful tips about character generation that I have learned over the years the hard way. Hell, I'm running my Shadows of the RGV SR4A game and took two complete tabletop noobs through the character creation process. You know what jobs those two sons of bitches took? One took a hacker/paparazzi/blackmailer that works with the Catholic Underground to "assist with the paperwork". All those programs sure were fun to cypher up, not to mention describing all the programs and their uses. The other one made a Wolf aspect shaman coyote that helps bring the Catholic refugees over the border with some "benevolent assistance" from one of the Ghost Cartels. He specializes in summoning spirits and combat spells. Yup, no long explanations or tons of math there.

Not sure why we've gotten off on the wrong foot here, Umi, but I pride myself in being "strict but fair". I won't kill anyone outright because of a bad roll or a single bad decision. I will make them pay for their mistakes in a manner that fits the situation, but I will also allow them a chance to work through the situation to get their character back on their feet. What I will not do is pander to a whiny, candyass player that can't hack that doing something stupid in my opinion (just look at all the videos of the stupid things professionals in all sorts of fields do and they do it for a living) results in a potentially major setback for their character. It's not my job as a GM to kiss their boo-boo and make it all better as it's both of our jobs to make a fun and (perhaps more important) interesting story. If they can't take a setback as a potentially cool plot twist or a chance flex a different skillset's muscles, that's not my fault. Ragequiting is the gamer equivalent of a temper tantrum, seeing them as anything else cheapens the hard work the GM and (more importantly) the other players have put into the game.
Umidori
Again with the belittling of people for not being prepared to handle what you dish out. Please stop. For as much as you paint them as being "childish", your fixation on their behavior is even more so.

You seem convinced that is impossible for a GM to misjudge a situation - that if a player gets upset, it's the players fault for not being made of stern enough stuff. Has it never occured to you that GMs can misread people, or that they can misrepresent the severity of a setback, or that they can fail to ensure the player is having fun? Do you honestly believe it better to teach via punitative measures, than to pause the game and have a diplomatic discussion with the player to make sure they understand what's going on?

I've had bonehead moments with my players. They've asked to do some really crazy things. Nearly every single time, it was because they didn't realize the implications of what they wanted - it was because they had an imperfect understanding of the game world, of a particular thing within it.

When a player says they want to... say... steal a cop car, I tell them straight up that unless their character is high or stupid, they would know that stealing a cop car is bad news, and that if they want to try to do it anyway, they will run almost certain odds of being locked up. I tell them in no uncertain terms "THIS IS A BAD IDEA". I tell them that although it is possible for them to attempt it, they're almost certainly going to fail.

If they really want to try it, I tell them what it would take to suceed. I tell them that if they want anything remotely resembling good odds of not going to jail, they need to have a watertight plan in place which is going to take lots of resources and professional execution. I tell it to them straight if they are not prepared to do what they are trying to do, and that if they persist all they have to go off is blind luck. I tell them that if they try it and fail, they will be in a cell with Bubba The Love Troll and their character will be unplayable until such time as they are able to get out of jail. I inform them it's not going to be a week, or a month, or anything resembling quick. I tell them they will need to have an entirely different character ready to play at our next session if they get caught.

Most of the time it takes very little to disuade them, because once they realize what the actual implications of what they are doing are, they go "Oh! Shit! Whoops, no, I do NOT want to do that!" and they do something sane instead.

Players having fun don't always have the appropriate mindset of criminals living in a dangerous world trying to make a living screwing over powerful people. Players can get distracted, or they can get a little silly, or they can even get a bit power-drunk from the fantasy of being a badass street samurai or a spell-slinging magician. If a player wants to do something that is going to ruin their fun, I stop and say, "Hey... that's gonna ruin your fun" and they almost always respond with "Oh! I don't want to ruin my fun, so I'll not do that then!".

You, on the other hand, seem to believe that the GM has zero obligation to do anything other than serve as a world simulator - that if the player is about to ruin their own fun, your job is to just sit back and let them, then laugh them out of the room when they get upset because they didn't understand something. For some reason you care more about mechanically enforcing the rules of an imaginary world than you do about adaptively and organically having fun playing a game with your (ostensible) friends.

~Umi
psychophipps
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 27 2014, 09:40 PM) *
Again with the belittling of people for not being prepared to handle what you dish out. Please stop. For as much as you paint them as being "childish", your fixation on their behavior is even more so.

You seem convinced that is impossible for a GM to misjudge a situation - that if a player gets upset, it's the players fault for not being made of stern enough stuff. Has it never occured to you that GMs can misread people, or that they can misrepresent the severity of a setback, or that they can fail to ensure the player is having fun? Do you honestly believe it better to teach via punitative measures, than to pause the game and have a diplomatic discussion with the player to make sure they understand what's going on?

I've had bonehead moments with my players. They've asked to do some really crazy things. Nearly every single time, it was because they didn't realize the implications of what they wanted - it was because they had an imperfect understanding of the game world, of a particular thing within it.

When a player says they want to... say... steal a cop car, I tell them straight up that unless their character is high or stupid, they would know that stealing a cop car is bad news, and that if they want to try to do it anyway, they will run almost certain odds of being locked up. I tell them in no uncertain terms "THIS IS A BAD IDEA". I tell them that although it is possible for them to attempt it, they're almost certainly going to fail.

If they really want to try it, I tell them what it would take to suceed. I tell them that if they want anything remotely resembling good odds of not going to jail, they need to have a watertight plan in place which is going to take lots of resources and professional execution. I tell it to them straight if they are not prepared to do what they are trying to do, and that if they persist all they have to go off is blind luck. I tell them that if they try it and fail, they will be in a cell with Bubba The Love Troll and their character will be unplayable until such time as they are able to get out of jail. I inform them it's not going to be a week, or a month, or anything resembling quick. I tell them they will need to have an entirely different character ready to play at our next session if they get caught.

Most of the time it takes very little to disuade them, because once they realize what the actual implications of what they are doing are, they go "Oh! Shit! Whoops, no, I do NOT want to do that!" and they do something sane instead.

Players having fun don't always have the appropriate mindset of criminals living in a dangerous world trying to make a living screwing over powerful people. Players can get distracted, or they can get a little silly, or they can even get a bit power-drunk from the fantasy of being a badass street samurai or a spell-slinging magician. If a player wants to do something that is going to ruin their fun, I stop and say, "Hey... that's gonna ruin your fun" and they almost always respond with "Oh! I don't want to ruin my fun, so I'll not do that then!".

You, on the other hand, seem to believe that the GM has zero obligation to do anything other than serve as a world simulator - that if the player is about to ruin their own fun, your job is to just sit back and let them, then laugh them out of the room when they get upset because they didn't understand something. For some reason you care more about mechanically enforcing the rules of an imaginary world than you do about adaptively and organically having fun playing a game with your (ostensible) friends.

~Umi

But parking your car isn't a crazy thing. If I get players doing something bugfuck crazy, then I'll be just like you and tell them they're way off base. If they come off a bad run, strung out from the adrenaline, and pull a DA like parking the getaway vehicle in the parking lot of their crash pad...well, real professional criminals, covert operatives, and high-speed, low-drag types do dumb stuff like that all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt and it's really easy to get complacent once you get away with something a few times.

The disconnect in our policies seems to be that you prefer to warn them about the potential for bad stuff because you feel that the characters are supposed to be the James Bond of covert ops or something (and I'm using 007 as the consummate professional example here, not mocking you in any way) and they just plain old know better. Totally cool. My policy is that shit happens even to the pros and I let them learn on their own unless they go completely off the rails and they need to be nudged back in correct direction. Also completely within bounds. You see getting character shit took as a complete non-starter and I see getting shit took as a great way to branch the character out a bit and/or goad them into another adventure or something fun like raiding a police impound.

Both versions are fine with the right players. You obviously run your games your way and have fun with your friends. I run games my way and have fun with my friends. I simply prefer a grittier feel where there are real consequences to even some seemingly-innocent decision making. It keeps me nose over toes as both a GM and a player.

To be honest, I'm very up front about my style of game. I don't let the players think that it's a pink mohawk game and then throw nothing but mirrorshades at them. I tell them up front, "I tend towards a street-level game with great potential to expand the scope as we progress. Huge influences to my game style are the Micheal Mann films Heat, Collateral, and Miami Vice. Ronin would also be an excellent movie for you to check out if you have the time. I'm stern but fair. You will occasionally screw up and bad things will happen because of it. How your character reacts to these situations will often give me new adventure ideas and I will do everything I can to get your character up and running again short of a handout."

So no, I'm not some dice-weilding Attila the Hun waiting to pounce upon my helpless players with every nit-noy error they make in a game.

You might try getting a bit more hands off. You'll find that the players can usually handle themselves and that they'll learn to respect the game tropes without you having to say anything at all. smile.gif
Umidori
We're clearly not getting anywhere trying to convince each other, and both of us are necessarily making a lot of assumptions about each other's tables without any actual informational basis. I propose we simply let the matter lie. We could be at this for a good long while and get absolutely nowhere, otherwise.

Hence, the only portion of my argument I still wish to press is that it is callous and uncouth to laugh at others whom one had previously been trying to have fun with. Doubly so to laugh at them on a public forum where they are not present to offer their side of the argument. For your own case, I find it distressing that you would defend the behavior of someone who mocks in this manner, even considering your own personal game philosophy.

~Umi
Shortstraw
But if you don't mock stupidity you are having fun wrong wink.gif.
Cain
Well, there's stupidity, and then there's ignorance.

I've had players pull stunts that were almost worthy of the CLUE files. I'm a liberal GM (now), so I usually ask them: "Are you sure you want to do that?". and if they ask, I'll offer an explanation as to why that stunt is a bonehead move. If they say they want to go through with it anyway, then they get to live with the consequences. This way, I can tell the difference between ignorance and stupidity-- ignorance goes away when you have correct information.

So the player fucked up. Whoop-dee-doo! You can either cowboy/girl up and figure it out, maybe make getting your goodies back through an adventure or something, or you can do what this player did and simply walk away without even trying to work with the GM to solve the problem. Now the GM might have been a complete prick, that happens, but the rigger part of the story wasn't an example of it, IMO. Sometimes players do stupid shit, it happens, but it's not the GM's job to give them reconciliatory blowjobs every time something bad happens because of said stupid shit.

All right, first of all I despise the stupid "cowboy up" phrase. What the hell is it supposed to mean, anyways? What do cowboys have to do with taking responsibility for your actions?

Second, while I don't agree with much of what Umi is saying, taking away key elements of a character is a really cruel move. If someone screws up badly enough, just kill the character and be done with it. Don't drag it out and make the player suffer, just kill them and take their stuff. I've dealt with douche GM's too; when he captured our mage and implanted him with 5.5 essence worth of synthlinks and datajacks, the player ragequit and I didn't blame him. The GM's excuse was: "You shouldn't have gotten caught, and at least I didn't kill him." Which is obviously BS; screw with a character that hard and you may as well have killed him.
Shortstraw
I assumed it meant to get back on the horse.
mister__joshua
Haha, funny that these things have come up since I started this...

Our Rigger recently had his van and all his drones exploded. He was sitting in it though so that all tied up nicely.

The rest of us are in lock-up awaiting being charged/tried by the police. I feel we're being stitched up as we're being put with unsavory types and not being allowed our usual rights - my lawyer arranged for me to be in solitary but that hasn't happened etc.
Should be interesting to see where it goes from here. As a chip-addicted hacker I'm less than useless in a prison fight!

Which brings me back to what originally happened and how we got here. As mentioned in the OP we were hired to retrieve a video file and a physical item that are being used to blackmail a client. They are kept on the airship of a rich media mogul.

We infiltrated the airship during a party under the guise of being a small independent film crew (the party was the after-event for an indie film). During our infiltration the airship was seized by a Sons of Sauron gang looking to ransom the mogul back to the corp. I found this out my hacking the comms of the lead troll and going through his communication. Once I had intercepted this I contacted the news corp to find out what the gang wanted, and said we were hostages inside. They offered a large sum of Y for a 'live inside story'. Being the hacker, I had a camera feed of the whole ship. We (the team) weren't actually doing anything wrong and this hiccup looked to have messed up our run so after discussion with the team (so they all knew what was going on) I sold a live camera feed to the newscorp. We were all still hostages (though the mage and rigger had invisibly snuck away). In hindsight, the camera feed was a wholly bad idea, but on it's own not a problem - an extra chunk of Y. The problems only arose when our Sams, after fighting off the guards covering the hostages, tried to stop the mogul escaping by shooting him in the leg, and then the head, live on television. Before the headshot he did warn that we would pay for this, and to the GM's credit the Johnson specifically said that while it wasn't 'mission failed' if we killed him, there would be serious consequences for doing so and we shouldn't do it under any circumstances if we wanted to live.

The mogul, predictably considering what had been said, had got a 'Dead Man's Switch' contract with a powerful team of Chimera assassins who we're now wanted by. Coupled with that, the Sams (having murdered on television) first had to participate in a city-wide manhunt as they tried to escape the law. The others (me, the mage and the rigger (now dead)) were later picked up for association.

Who know's where it'll go from here. It's turning into something of a courtroom drama but the GM seems happy to run it and we're all happy to be playing in it. I spent all the money we sold the videos for to get myself lawyered up.

Happy times biggrin.gif
ltwutze
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Apr 28 2014, 12:04 PM) *
Haha, funny that these things have come up since I started this...

Our Rigger recently had his van and all his drones exploded. He was sitting in it though so that all tied up nicely.

The rest of us are in lock-up awaiting being charged/tried by the police. I feel we're being stitched up as we're being put with unsavory types and not being allowed our usual rights - my lawyer arranged for me to be in solitary but that hasn't happened etc.
Should be interesting to see where it goes from here. As a chip-addicted hacker I'm less than useless in a prison fight!

Which brings me back to what originally happened and how we got here. As mentioned in the OP we were hired to retrieve a video file and a physical item that are being used to blackmail a client. They are kept on the airship of a rich media mogul.

We infiltrated the airship during a party under the guise of being a small independent film crew (the party was the after-event for an indie film). During our infiltration the airship was seized by a Sons of Sauron gang looking to ransom the mogul back to the corp. I found this out my hacking the comms of the lead troll and going through his communication. Once I had intercepted this I contacted the news corp to find out what the gang wanted, and said we were hostages inside. They offered a large sum of Y for a 'live inside story'. Being the hacker, I had a camera feed of the whole ship. We (the team) weren't actually doing anything wrong and this hiccup looked to have messed up our run so after discussion with the team (so they all knew what was going on) I sold a live camera feed to the newscorp. We were all still hostages (though the mage and rigger had invisibly snuck away). In hindsight, the camera feed was a wholly bad idea, but on it's own not a problem - an extra chunk of Y. The problems only arose when our Sams, after fighting off the guards covering the hostages, tried to stop the mogul escaping by shooting him in the leg, and then the head, live on television. Before the headshot he did warn that we would pay for this, and to the GM's credit the Johnson specifically said that while it wasn't 'mission failed' if we killed him, there would be serious consequences for doing so and we shouldn't do it under any circumstances if we wanted to live.

The mogul, predictably considering what had been said, had got a 'Dead Man's Switch' contract with a powerful team of Chimera assassins who we're now wanted by. Coupled with that, the Sams (having murdered on television) first had to participate in a city-wide manhunt as they tried to escape the law. The others (me, the mage and the rigger (now dead)) were later picked up for association.

Who know's where it'll go from here. It's turning into something of a courtroom drama but the GM seems happy to run it and we're all happy to be playing in it. I spent all the money we sold the videos for to get myself lawyered up.

Happy times biggrin.gif

Shooting a celebrity on live television against the Johnsons wish and with the knowledge of being broadcasted... sounds like losing control for a moment biggrin.gif

Worst thing that ever happened to me was a run that led us to Billings in the Sioux Nations. We needed infos from a ganger and after a mediocre interrogation, I mindcontrolled our victim so he'd tell us everything. After we knew what we had to knew, we weren't sure what to do with him, as we didn't want to shoot him and leave a body that might be traced back to us.
So, in a glorious moment of "I didn't think that thorugh", I looked up the latest gang member to die around these parts to a cop, renewed the control spell in front of a LoneStar office and let him run in with his peashooter, screaming This is for my buddy Willy!. Our GM ruled that he even managed to finish the sentence before being shot down by the whole department.

It wasn't until then that I realized what a mess I have brought myself in and hastily fled the scene. Luckily, we already had a SWAT-Team inbound for our next job ( unknowingly), so I didn't even fuck up that bad. We just had to flee the state by foot without outdoor knowledge.
MortVent
little elf girl TM played my me (yes my scarey lil one)
Human Face, troll sami, dwarf drone rigger, human weapon adept, orc combat mage

Job: Sneak into a research facility converted warehouse in the mudflats near mt Rainer, sabotage the contents. Optional, destroy the warehouse loudly and noisily (for less pay)

Problems cropped up early, lots of problems... seriously never seen that many 1s on footwork rolls ever, or acquisition rolls for gear..

Team wound up burning a favor to get some tools to do it (a quick check made it clear silent wasn't an option)

Now team goes in, my TM playing back seat driver in the hovercraft watching and jamming on the fly. Effectively the electronic warfare role while the face played babysitter/driver.
The rest go in hard and fast, do pretty good... till they find the contents.

God I loved this gm.. content of the warehouse: 1 Adult dragon, 2 squads of Aztechnology goons, and a handful of TM lab rats.

Well considering my tm was an ex labrat she didn't handle that well... And suddenly the level the place and go became get the tm's out extraction.

Lots of firepower tossed back and forth, tm taking control of the warehouse drones at one point. Finally cracks the firewall on the goon's network... suddenly lots of booms as she triggered any and all explosives (including smart firing a couple held rockets at the ground). At this point the UCAS and SSC got woke up at the discharge of heavy weapons... near seattle.

We get the tms into the van, still a few goons who go down quick. But still got a pissed feather duster chasing us... and we got no heavy weapons (as a side note we did get charges planted in the warehouse).

We're basically toast if the dragon catches us, so we wind up pulling into the warehouse for cover at one point.. And then the face gets an idea..

He waits for the dragon to enter after us, and blows the charges as we rush out the doors... effectively dropping the warehouse on the dragon.

Well that worked.. but as we get about half a klick away we get a couple UCAS scout t-birds flanking us asking for us to stop.. so we stop. Now we're in a bind.. we're so busted it hurts.

Well I did the only thing a psychotic teen tm could do to get out of it... I called in a distraction....

Now the distraction worked, but we had to lay low for a long time... Aztechnology was pissed, some dragons were upset at the death of one of theirs, and the UCAS is really pissed at having let us go..

The fun part, the distraction was simple... my lil blimp of doom went angry blimp and popped open all it's weapon systems over a populated legit area forcing the t-birds to scramble to deal with it. I miss that blimp, it had some of her favorite flatscreen videos on it.

And my tm had to find a new mobile home... Kane would be proud of her new boat, if he hadn't been still upset at her programming his sub's intercom to constantly play yellow submarine for being called a newbie brat

Sternenwind
Calling down a great storm spirit in the middle of Denver, for suppression fire.
Umidori
QUOTE (ltwutze @ Apr 28 2014, 06:23 AM) *
Worst thing that ever happened to me was a run that led us to Billings in the Sioux Nations. We needed infos from a ganger and after a mediocre interrogation, I mindcontrolled our victim so he'd tell us everything. After we knew what we had to knew, we weren't sure what to do with him, as we didn't want to shoot him and leave a body that might be traced back to us.
So, in a glorious moment of "I didn't think that thorugh", I looked up the latest gang member to die around these parts to a cop, renewed the control spell in front of a LoneStar office and let him run in with his peashooter, screaming This is for my buddy Willy!. Our GM ruled that he even managed to finish the sentence before being shot down by the whole department.

It wasn't until then that I realized what a mess I have brought myself in and hastily fled the scene. Luckily, we already had a SWAT-Team inbound for our next job ( unknowingly), so I didn't even fuck up that bad. We just had to flee the state by foot without outdoor knowledge.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm not understanding how some punk committing suicide by cop gets any heat on the Runners secretly mind controlling him?

Punk runs at cops with a gun shouting "This is for my buddy Willy!" and gets blown away. What the frag happens next to link that back to you? Why would Lone Star even care? They have an obviously guilty perp - now conveniently dead - and an obvious, convenient motive. Why wouldn't they just chalk it up to yet another idiot gangbanger who went off the deep end? Goodness knows they're not that bright, and if his buddy got killed it makes sense he'd be stupid with grief and anger. Once the kid hits the dirt riddled with bullets, the Star just starts filling out paperwork and replanning their evening patrol route to compensate for the lost time, grumbling about having to skip their usual soy-donut run.

I mean, the only link that would be reasonably traceable would be the spell aura and signature, and why the frag would The Star bother calling in a mage to check for auras on some crazy punk ganger? And even then, the investigating police-mage would have to recognize the aura of the spellcaster to be able to determine who cast the spell. At worst you'd have an ongoing investigation with little to no leads, and even if you were stupid about leaving astral signatures everywhere, all that would do is link you to various crimes, not necessarily get you caught.

~Umi
ltwutze
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 1 2014, 03:05 AM) *
Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm not understanding how some punk committing suicide by cop gets any heat on the Runners secretly mind controlling him?

Punk runs at cops with a gun shouting "This is for my buddy Willy!" and gets blown away. What the frag happens next to link that back to you? Why would Lone Star even care? They have an obviously guilty perp - now conveniently dead - and an obvious, convenient motive. Why wouldn't they just chalk it up to yet another idiot gangbanger who went off the deep end? Goodness knows they're not that bright, and if his buddy got killed it makes sense he'd be stupid with grief and anger. Once the kid hits the dirt riddled with bullets, the Star just starts filling out paperwork and replanning their evening patrol route to compensate for the lost time, grumbling about having to skip their usual soy-donut run.

I mean, the only link that would be reasonably traceable would be the spell aura and signature, and why the frag would The Star bother calling in a mage to check for auras on some crazy punk ganger? And even then, the investigating police-mage would have to recognize the aura of the spellcaster to be able to determine who cast the spell. At worst you'd have an ongoing investigation with little to no leads, and even if you were stupid about leaving astral signatures everywhere, all that would do is link you to various crimes, not necessarily get you caught.

~Umi

I don't think I wrote that clearly enough, sorry:

The SWAT Team was inbound for our next mission because our Johnson got their attention with his numerous crimes. Our meeting with the Johnson was under surveillance, we had a shootout with the Johnson because... he set us up? I don't even remember at this point. After they heards shots, the SWAT Team went in, we dropped them while our sam took a big hit and the other mage hit himself pretty hard with drain. Everybody hops into the van (or is lifted) and we start fleeing the area over the course of 2 or so evenings.
Although ooC all players knew that the SWAT Team wasn't there for me, 2 of them blamed it on me in character, which was a perfectly fine thing to do as my character believed it himself. The 2 evenings where we had to leave for Seattle without being seen where real intense, because we all had to improvise.
So no, that shooting wasn't linked to the SWAT Team. Our characters just believed it to be.

But if I recall correctly, isn't there the possibility to find the aura responsible for a spell? As players, we argued pretty much about this and got ourselves rather hyped about it why the GM was just listening with a grin on his face.

Cain
But if I recall correctly, isn't there the possibility to find the aura responsible for a spell? As players, we argued pretty much about this and got ourselves rather hyped about it why the GM was just listening with a grin on his face.

In all editions, you can easily see the lingering aura of a spell, especially if it's assessensed soon after the spell was dropped. On a good roll, the viewer can even remember it for later, and maybe pick up some particulars about the caster. If a forensic mage sees the same aura enough times, he can even start drawing conclusions about the mage.

What an aura can't do is be used for Ritual Tracking. It doesn't work as a material component. If the forensic mage has some other way of tracking the team, he can assessense the team mage's aura and conclude it's the same as the one he's been following. But by itself, the aura is harmless.
Umidori
That also requires that a forensic mage be there to assense the signature before it fades. Unless you have a reason to suspect the involvement of magic, why would you call in a specialist? You only haul out the big guns for important things - not just a lone ganger going nuts.

~Umi
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 1 2014, 04:31 PM) *
That also requires that a forensic mage be there to assense the signature before it fades. Unless you have a reason to suspect the involvement of magic, why would you call in a specialist? You only haul out the big guns for important things - not just a lone ganger going nuts.

~Umi

To be fair, if he rushed a police Station, the Magical Forensics Specialist is likely already there, and it costs him nothing to assense the corpse. eek.gif
Umidori
Not all stations are of the same size and importance. Police HQ surely has some mages, but some lesser neighborhood station surely would not - just like how a small corporate office isn't going to have major security, but their district headquarters is going to be a fortress.

Also, remember that cops get days off, and get called out on duty, et cetera. I'd make some sort of die roll to determine whether an awakened officer was even present at the time of the incident, or whether one will be available in the handful of hours before the astral signature fades away.

~Umi
Sendaz
Plus unless the perp really acted more unusual than most chipheads on a shooting spree, would they really waste resources like dragging the mage out to check?

Depends on the situation.

Against a few cops who quickly dispatch the perp anyway? probably not.

BUT, if in the normal course of their writing up the shooting incident they discover the guy didn't have any friends named Willy (just to see what might have spurred the event in the first place) then some more digging may occur. Of course by then, a lot of the traces will be gone.

Do it in the steps of City Hall when the Mayor is giving a speech? Yeah, they probably have a bit more reason to dot the i's and cross the t's then.
Cain
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 1 2014, 05:25 PM) *
Not all stations are of the same size and importance. Police HQ surely has some mages, but some lesser neighborhood station surely would not - just like how a small corporate office isn't going to have major security, but their district headquarters is going to be a fortress.

Also, remember that cops get days off, and get called out on duty, et cetera. I'd make some sort of die roll to determine whether an awakened officer was even present at the time of the incident, or whether one will be available in the handful of hours before the astral signature fades away.

~Umi

There might not be a full mage on duty at right that second, but you can bet a police station will have spirits on defense. They also could have an adept or two capable of astral perception. In both cases, they could examine the aura and file the information for later.
Umidori
How do you file an aura reading? wink.gif

~Umi
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 2 2014, 08:34 AM) *
How do you file an aura reading? wink.gif

~Umi

Astral paper.
Umidori
Now you're just pulling things out of your astral.

~Umi
Jaid
it's been around for at least two editions now, actually nyahnyah.gif

but then, you probably just wanted to use that pun =S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012