Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Genetic Engineering and Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FlakJacket
This is going off of memory, but SotA 2063 introduced the whole new process of genetic engineering- everything from simply changing your eye colour up to leonization and full body repair. One of the things that caught my eye was in utero modifications.

Now bioware involves switching out natural bits of your body for augmented parts to improve things. Rather than having brand new vat parts implanted into you, would it be possible to have your genes worked on before being born so that in effect you naturally grow the bioware as part of you? Wouldn't really give you any benefit, and probably be a bit more excpensive, except that you'd start right off with it.

This is more for a backstory that I've got kicking around but since I know absolutely nothing about this type of thing thought I'd throw it out and get peoples feedback on it. smile.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Sure, I don't see a problem with a character being an experimental test tube baby as long as it was adequetly explained, including the part about a major secret like him getting out of corporate hands and running the shadows instead of being on a disection table somewhere.

That kind of procedure is still a long way off in Shadowrun. It might be possible in a deltac clinic-level R&D lab somewhere, but it's not something you're going to see on a regular basis. The utero modifications are more for things like correcting hereditary birth defects, changing genders, and that sort of thing. Not implanting augmented organs so you grow up to be a super soldier. smile.gif
Tal
Seems doable, but there's something niggling me about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Something about the method of growing bioware. *shrugs* Iono.
Herald of Verjigorm
The text indicates that the genetic changes to get the super-metahuman performance out of specific organs has a tendency to cause other organs to fail in remarkable ways. There may be a theoretically feasible combination that sometimes survives, but it is not statistically viable.
cykotek
As Herald said, the manipulations done to grow bioware are generally done rather haphazardly and without too much concern for consequences, since it can be cheaper to find a solution that works, rather than continue to work at something until it's totally perfect.

A blank clonal body is created with a modified genetic code. It is then force-grown to maturity. Since the body is not going to be anything other than parts, the creators don't care if, to get the super-kidneys and poison glands, the body suffers from heart disease and Alzheimer's. Snip-snip go the parts, the rest is "recycled" (make of that term what you will). The difference with cultivated bioware is that the blank is made from your own genetic material.

I don't have a problem with, for a much, much greater investment of time and money, allowing these sort of modifications in vitro or in utero. Hell, it could be a proof of concept by a corporation seeking to cut operating costs by increasing the output of each body-blank. More distinct parts that can be parcelled out from a blank, the more money can be made from said blank, without much increase in production cost.

I don't see much of a benefit to this sort of set-up, unless you feel like allowing the character to have a set of "bioware" that's not actually bioware (i.e., not affecting Bio Index). If you assume it's just normal bioware, just possessed from birth, it becomes nothing more than a neat character hook. If you want to create (or allow to be created) a character with bioware-like abilities that don't affect Bio Index, don't look at me.
Cray74
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ May 5 2004, 04:59 AM)
Now bioware involves switching out natural bits of your body for augmented parts to improve things. Rather than having brand new vat parts implanted into you, would it be possible to have your genes worked on before being born so that in effect you naturally grow the bioware as part of you? Wouldn't really give you any benefit, and probably be a bit more excpensive, except that you'd start right off with it.

This is more for a backstory that I've got kicking around but since I know absolutely nothing about this type of thing thought I'd throw it out and get peoples feedback on it. smile.gif

Sounds fine by me. To stick within the rules, use the usual bioware costs and bio-index, and then it's just a plot hook.

The character's probably some prototype (or production model?) demonstrating effective genetic engineering without "a tendency to cause other organs to fail in remarkable ways."

Of course, I'm a nut for genetic engineering. I love GURPS:Transhuman Space's setting, its updated humans and parahumans.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
The text indicates that the genetic changes to get the super-metahuman performance out of specific organs has a tendency to cause other organs to fail in remarkable ways. There may be a theoretically feasible combination that sometimes survives, but it is not statistically viable.

Have you got a page reference for that? I'd like to read it- and probably the related things that come after it. Thanks. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
That's been the process since Shadowtech (which has a nice image of a "accident" for genetic mod/bioware), and possibly earlier when you look at the old descriptions of clonal parts in the BBB.
Herald of Verjigorm
Shadowtech, page 11, Shadowtalk, KAM's speach. It might be in a newer book, but I couldn't find it in M&M when I just looked.
snowRaven
Working on a system for 'vat-grown' metahumans inspire by another thread.

M&M surgery options for bioware: Bio Index Reduction and Redundancy can be used for such genetically adapted bioware. -5% bio index and -1 stress point each time it takes stress.
Voran
Another possible alternative is to genetically engineer a person so they'd be a more compatible platform for bioware. I don't have my notes in front of me but I believe I had some notes on a variant.

You would pay the creation cost for a metahuman (10 points or a priority), in exchange you'd be a human, with higher racial maximums than a normal human, 2 points bonus starting attributes, and any bioware you implant would 'recover' 25% of its BI cost after implantation. So if you had an implant with a cost of 1, you'd still need at least 1 spare point of BI available for surgery, but post surgery, your system would reduce it down to .75, leaving you .25 space again.
Cray74
QUOTE (Voran)
You would pay the creation cost for a metahuman (10 points or a priority), in exchange you'd be a human, with higher racial maximums than a normal human, 2 points bonus starting attributes

Now that's just an interesting idea in itself: new "races" from gengineering, nevermind the BI reductions.

The priority system or the point system would work...I wonder what kind of stat boosts you could get while keeping the new "race" about as balanced as a shapechanger or some of the metahuman variants.
FlakJacket
The only real bonus I could see- keeping inside the rules- would be that because they're a natural part of you, stress damage would heal normally without the need for nanites.
BitBasher
And really the game woul dhave to be in 2075+ for a character to be viably old enough.
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (Cray74)
Now that's just an interesting idea in itself: new "races" from gengineering, nevermind the BI reductions.

The priority system or the point system would work...I wonder what kind of stat boosts you could get while keeping the new "race" about as balanced as a shapechanger or some of the metahuman variants.

It'd be better to just use the SURGE rules here. They already cover a base cost (effectively 5 Build Points just to be a Changeling), and their abilities function just like Edges and Flaws. For a transhuman, several Exceptional Attributes and Bonus Attribute Points would work well, as would characteristics like Toughness, Natural Immunity, and so on and so forth.
FlakJacket
Most likely. Unless we get into cloning and forced/accelerated growth territory, but that's a thread for another time.
A Clockwork Lime
Nah, you could get around the 2057 bit easily by assuming the character was part of the prototype testing that went on for decades before the first commercial implant went on the market.
BitBasher
Nah, you could get around the 2057 bit easily by assuming the character was part of the prototype testing that went on for decades before the first commercial implant went on the market.
No accepting nominations for the SR chargen cliche of the year! Other nominees to follow biggrin.gif
A Clockwork Lime
For someone who doesn't give a rat's ass what I have to say, you certainly quote and talk to me quite a bit.
Moonwolf
Also, you couldn't use it as a way to get bioware with no Bio-index cost, as all the genetech has a bio-index cost anyway.
BitBasher
For someone who doesn't give a rat's ass what I have to say, you certainly quote and talk to me quite a bit.
Go read what I said in the other thread please, I said that in that case, in that thread, what you said was not relevant to me because it did not impact my game whatsoever. Anything beyond that you read into it. I have also said several times, explicitly, you often have valid points just make them in a very poor fashion.
Dakhran the Dark
QUOTE (BitBasher)
No accepting nominations for the SR chargen cliche of the year! Other nominees to follow biggrin.gif

What, your campaign didn't already have these once your players read Tails You Lose?

...or was mine the only game where a player asked to be a Superkid?

Anyway, I'd actually allow some gene-modded characters, maybe even retrovirally induced genetech bioware. I'd treat it as a combination of the SURGE rules and bioware -- since M&M already sets a precedent on genetech taking up Bio Index, I'd rule that characters can spend Bio Index on SURGE-style Edges, and reduce these costs with SURGE-style Flaws (to reflect the "unexpected side-effects" of genetic tinkering). Not sure what the ratio of Bio Index to SURGE point should be, but that's what playtesting is for.

Of course, there'd be other costs to playing a cliche, err, "interesting character concept" sarcastic.gif, such as having the Hunted flaw with no extra points, and not being able to geas away the Magic loss for integral genemod Bio Index (as they never lost the Magic, they never had it in the first place). I'm sure I can add other deterrents as needed, in the canon Shadowrun policy of "don't say they can't do it, just make it so cheesy and broken that it's unappealing to the munchkins"... biggrin.gif
BitBasher
What, your campaign didn't already have these once your players read Tails You Lose?

...or was mine the only game where a player asked to be a Superkid?
heck, Ive done it, and I think literally every single player I have ever met playing shadowrun has done it in one of their first couple characters. biggrin.gif

That being said I may allow it depending on how NOT generic the background is.
kuroko

Ok, since no one else has asked - what bioware do you want in?

This sounds like something that would be neat to have in the game, as long as you understand the gm can use it. You're going to be hunted, and possibly have strange reactions to things. Or something else I may not even tell you. But it would all depend on what bio-ware.
Arethusa
Keep in mind that bioware is very new, having really only come around in the late 2050s. If you run you game in the early 2060s...
kuroko
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Keep in mind that bioware is very new, having really only come around in the late 2050s. If you run you game in the early 2060s...

Yeah, but who's to say that the companies weren't trying earlier. So while he may be a bit young, he could be late teens.
A Clockwork Lime
<throws on BitBasher's wig and flails around mockingly> "Noooo! That's a cliche! The horror! HORROR!"
snowRaven
Orks, people. They mature faster, and are stronger and tougher to begin with.

Genetically engineered and 'vat-grown', bioware-filled physically superior soldiers. While they have shorter lifespans, a soldier isn't expected to live for that long anyway. Their slightly reduced metal capacity makes them a bit easier to subvert and control, lthough they make slightly more mistakes in the field - but coupled with a good tactician that can be amended.

I like the idea of using bio index as costs for suitable SURGE effects and edges/flaws... going to look further into that - thanx Dakhran.
TinkerGnome
All that bioware would be nice... until your GM saddles with you severe allergy: soy in exchange. That wouldn't be fun.
Tal
I think you might get a kick out of this, snowraven. Doesn't seem very hard to add any of the genotypes to SR, at the very least the shifters or goths...
BitBasher
<throws on BitBasher's wig and flails around mockingly> "Noooo! That's a cliche! The horror! HORROR!"
LOL! That's the spirit! biggrin.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (Tal)
I think you might get a kick out of this, snowraven. Doesn't seem very hard to add any of the genotypes to SR, at the very least the shifters or goths...

Thanx Tal - that seems quite interesting... upsidedown.gif Like a technological Sixth World. I will definately have to study that a bit further.
Tal
No big. It's about the only cyberpunk themed MUD I've ever found that didn't suck the big one...

Tell us if ye get anything worksable out of it, eh?
snowRaven
Once (if) I have a system for genetically engineered vat-grown humans I'll present it here upsidedown.gif
Voran
I wonder how far off the SR universe is from the Gattaca (spelling?) setting (You know the one with Ethan and Uma) for genetic engineering.
Neruda's Ghost
Just a quick question.

I remember someone mentioning in another thread about mana being linked to the genome of the Awakened. I'm assuming that goblinization, as well as UGE, also has mana tied directly to the genetics of these metahumans. I think it would be impossible to 'change' an troll back into human.

So, wouldn't it be next to impossible to fiddle around with the genetic coding of the metahumans, such as in making an orkish or shapeshifter super soldier, since mana is somehow inextricably bound to it?

I understand that bioware isn't really altering the coding, but then is the rejection of these new organs much higher in metahumans than humans? Please note that I don't have the SOTA sourcebook so if its in there my apologies.
Kanada Ten
...mana being linked to the genome of the Awakened.

This isn't quite right, but I don't know really how to break it down.

Once UGE and Goblinization occur, mana is no longer being channeled by the person.

Awakened means able to manipulate mana at will (magicain, adept, aspected), and altering one's genetics alters one's ability to continue manipulating mana.
FlakJacket
Well if you do go for the forced growth clone approach then you might as well shove in a mnemonic enhacer level three as well so you can teach them how to do things once they get out of the tank. With that you should be able to pick up things along the same speed as most growing kids I would imagine.
mfb
nah, that's only when it was first marketed. in the 2040's, it was still being developed. to me, that means that any character in the 2060s with in vitro bioware should be facing some serious drawbacks--all his bioware is 20 years behind the cutting edge. at the very least, that screams "used" to me, to represent the relatively clumsy growth techniques and unforseen complications.
Wanderer
It's perfectly feasible to assume that cutting-edge biotech research may have come up as a way to induce the development of bioware in an embryo without the tendency to cause failure in other organs. Stretching believability just a bit, it might be assumed that a adolescent with extensive modifications might be around by 2064, as a prototype.

The procedure to create him would have cost millions of nuyen, so he'd likely be either a very special agent of the corporation that created him (likely ensuring his loyalty via extensive ASIST psychotropic conditioning), or an escaped (and Hunted) specimen. Dark Angel situations may abound, in the latter case. The beauty of this system is that once you've paid the admittedly very high cost of getting the genetic code just right, development costs for building your army of super-soldiers drop dramatically, as you just have to raise the babies. No more need of performing expensive and complex surgery modifications on each individual soldier.

As an added benefit, if you raise them from birth, you may control the way they turn out to an enormous extent: choosing what skills they learn, or the ideology they subscribe (such as fanatical loyalty to a corp). Granted, they are still sentients, so a minority may still react in unpredictable ways (such as rebelling or escaping). The only major hassle is that it becomes a long-term project, as you have to wait 14-18 years to have your super-agents grown eanough to be useful, unless you manage to master forced-growth technology as well (in which case you will need to feed a very intensive regimen of training to your creations via simsense).

As for rule systems, I'd assume, as per SOTA 2063, p. 25, that bioware and genetech treatments developed in utero cost only 75% of normal Body Index cost. Moreover, it would be reasonable to assume that growing up with the modifications as natural organs would give them the equivalent of the Bio Index Reduction (twice) and Rugged Positive Surgery (-10% Bio Index, to a total of 65% of normal, and one extra die for bioware stress tests), and to allow "inborn" bioware to fully self-heal stress down to 0. As an additional perk, since modifications would be natural for the character, they could not be removed from the character without very extensive (and expensive) surgery and genetic treatments. Character would begin play with a fixed set of bioware and "biological" cyberware implants and genetech modifications that are inborn to him.

On the down side, such a character could never be Awakened or a Metahuman (the extensive genetic modifications would alter the genome too much to keep the astral "shadows" of metagenes and the mage factor intact). Moreover, having such a character would cost 25 character points plus other 30 points in Resources for the modifications. The normal rules for excessive bioware and system overstress would still apply (after applying the template modifications): excessive metabolic load would still hamper the character's body systems. Moreover, the character would have Bio-Rejection (incompatible biology) and either Compulsive (loyalty to creator corp) or Dark Secret (genegineered vat-grown fugitive freak) and Hunted (creator corp). Additionally Flaws like Allergy, Amnesia, Combat Monster, Flashbacks, Impulsive, Greed, Kleptomania, Lecherous, Phobia, Uncouth, and Vindictive are all likely, to represent the likely side effects of extensive genetic modifications, and the mental scars of being raised up in a lab. Also Distinctive Style (barcode tattoo) and Cranial Bomb are possible.

A good typical "race" template of modifications would be:

Boosted Reflexes (Delta) 3
Cat's Eyes (Cultured)
Nictating Membranes (Cultured)
Chemical Gland (Anticoagulants) (Cultured)
Enhanced Articulation (Cultured)
Muscle Augmentation (Cultured) 4
Muscle Toner (Cultured) 4
Nephritic Screen (Cultured)
Orthoskin (Cultured) 2
Platelet Factories (Cultured)
Suprathyroid Gland (Cultured)
Symbiotes (Cultured) 3
Cerebral Booster (Cultured) 2
Mnemonic Enhancement (Cultured) 3
Synaptic Accelerator (Cultured) 2
Trauma Damper (Cultured)
Body Modified Limit Increase (Cultured)
Quickness Modified Limit Increase (Cultured)
Strength Modified Limit Increase (Cultured)
Calcitonin Synthesis (Cultured)
Erythropoietin Synthesis (Cultured)

which would leave the character in a permanent state of light overstress.

If the creating genetists would have pushed the template's possibilities to the extreme, it might have also:

Adrenal Pump (Cultured) 2
Chemical Gland (ACTH) (Cultured)
Extended Volume (Cultured) 2
Synthacardium (Cultured) 2

Or:

Damage Compensator (Cultured) 5
Reflex Recorder (Base Skill) (Cultured) 6
Sleep Regulator (Cultured)
Thermosense Organ (Cultured)

Or:

Digestive Expansion (Cultured)
Pathogenic Defense (Cultured) 2
Toxin Extractor (Cultured) 2
Tracheal Filter (Cultured) 2
Cain
Oh, hell, as long as the normal chargen rules are followed, being gengineered in utero is no big deal.

Look, I seem to recall seeing a character who had orichalcum bone lacing, obstensibly as a result of some hideous experiment. He created the character as a standard adept, defined his "killing hands" as orichalcum spurs that popped out of his hands, and so on. Since he was using the normal adept rules, the rest was just a "special effect" that made the character more interesting. No rules were actually harmed in the making of this character, so there wasn't any real problem.
mfb
yeah. it's just that, for once, i'd like to see a character whose prototype cyber/bioware that he got from some horrible experiment by whoever is actually, you know, prototypical. glitchy, unrefined, behind the technology curve.
Wanderer
QUOTE (mfb)
yeah. it's just that, for once, i'd like to see a character whose prototype cyber/bioware that he got from some horrible experiment by whoever is actually, you know, prototypical. glitchy, unrefined, behind the technology curve.

Glitchy and unrefined I agree. That's the reason I put in my template a list of possible Physical and Mental Flaws as likely side effects of extensively tampering with the genome of subjects: biochemical incompatibility (Bio-Rejection), seizures (Flashbacks), sociopathy (Uncouth, Vindictive), autoimmune reactions (Allergies), poor impulse control (Combat Monster, Greed, Impulsive, Kleptomania, Lecherous), various sundry mental problems (low-levelAmnesia, Phobias). Other possible side effects would be: altered body pigmentation (Altered Skin Color, Unusual Hair), aberrant skin formations (Chronic Osteocusps, Scales), less efficient immune system (Slow Healer, Weak Immune System), altered body smell (Critter Spook), malformed mandible (Tusks), reduced attention span (Oblivious), various neurological problems (Low Pain Tolerance, Sensitive Neural Structure, Simsense Vertigo). OTOH, any specimen having more severe probems that these would be likely terminated as failures, and genetic problems that would directly run counter to modifications are unplausible. A GM may require that a genegineered character manifests as many genetic Flaws as he feels appropriate to balance the template.

As for falling behind the technology curve, nahh, that's ridiculous. A prototype by definition is trying to push beyond the current technology curve.
JaronK
Well, it may have been pushing the curve when the character got the stuff, but that was 20 years ago... by this time it would be behind the curve.
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (JaronK)
Well, it may have been pushing the curve when the character got the stuff, but that was 20 years ago... by this time it would be behind the curve.

damn he got served!

i have to agree it is possible but theres no way a runner could have this stuff, and if he did it would be so beyond obsolete and so buggy it wouldnt be worth it even if he did live long enough to use it.

an otaku would be more believeable.

did i just say that? dead.gif
Wanderer
QUOTE (JaronK)

That's why I also mentioned the possibility of accelerating the bioroids' growth via forced growth technology (already around in SR for clones) and cover their basic socialization, education and training by means of extensive simsense training (we already know it may work with SR technology thanks to the Halberstram experiment).

Admittedly, it is a distinct possibility that the bioroids may come out of this upbringing with some significant psychological glitches (which I mentioned describing the template), but it can be done with SR technology. OTOH, the result is a samurai/super-soldier to whom bioware/geneware is almost as natural as breathing. Why fitting agents with expensive ware and complex surgery when you can breed them with it?

Obviously, it is not a concept fit for street-level gangers SR play (except as a scary mysterious "what the drek was THAT" figure), but for a high-end play, where top-elite shadorunners rub shoulders with cyberzombies and high-level initiates a Dark-Angel type transgenic would be right at home.
Voran
Whew. Haven't posted here in awhile, too busy playing City of Heroes smile.gif Heh, anyhoo...

Definately the transgenic Dark Angel type character would be better suited as a chargen option for a higher level game. I've been mulling the idea over a bit, and was thinking a Dark Angel type char would probably be worth setting up somewhat like a physical (magical) adept. Here's my reasoning:

To get a human to that level of performance they'd have to create a finely internally balanced system. Sorta sounds like the way essence is setup for a physad. A physad could slap some cyber or more bioware in, but they'd actually lose some of their baseline performance because it would impact their 'natural system'.

I could see some ongoing biochemical tuning of sorts, but not as much the hacking out of perfectly working pieces and replacing them with even more extra parts. Thoughts?

Wanderer
QUOTE (Voran @ May 25 2004, 01:38 PM)
Whew. Haven't posted here in awhile, too busy playing City of Heroes smile.gif Heh, anyhoo...

Definately the transgenic Dark Angel type character would be better suited as a chargen option for a higher level game.  I've been mulling the idea over a bit, and was thinking a Dark Angel type char would probably be worth setting up somewhat like a physical (magical) adept.  Here's my reasoning:

To get a human to that level of performance they'd have to create a finely internally balanced system.  Sorta sounds like the way essence is setup for a physad.  A physad could slap some cyber or more bioware in, but they'd actually lose some of their baseline performance because it would impact their 'natural system'. 

I could see some ongoing biochemical tuning of sorts, but not as much the hacking out of perfectly working pieces and replacing them with even more extra parts.  Thoughts?

Well, your idea has strong merit. You may indeed set up a Dark Angel type transgenic character by hypothesizing that the extensive genetic modifications perfoemed on it make it able to sport an extensive set of biological modifications which work as bio-, gene- and cyber-ware but are not actual "cut and insert" modifcations but stuff he gre up with. As such, it would be wholly natural to him, but at the price that such an extensively modified system would be greately impaired or even utterly unable to accept new, not-inborn 'ware. Effectively, the transgenic would be a new (meta)human subspecies, just one created by genetech and not by rising world ambient magic level.

I would not use actual adept powers, though, as they are customized for a more mystical origin, rather than hard-science genetic modifications.

It is IMHO better pick up fashion a list of bioware, geneware, and cyberware (the stuff that can be reasonably assumed a biological equivalent can be produced by genetic manipulation: i.e. bone lacing, dermal plating/sheating, most reflex ware, senseware that reproduces animal senses. Not electronic stuff like radio communication or tactical computer), and assume that the character has them as inborn genetic modifications. Such stuff would not cause Essence or Bio Index loss, even if normal limits might still be used to calculate the maximum amount of stuff that can be possessed (there is a limit to how much modifications can be applied). One good way might be the assume a maximum effective Bio Index limit of 15 and calculate modifications against it, without distinction if modfications would orginally be cyber-, bio- or gene-ware. OR all modifications could be charged to normal (9) Bio Index, but allowing a generous discount to normal Bio Index costs (say 50-65%). In any case everything should be assumed to be the equivalent of delta/cultured grade. Allowing your body to grow up around the modification makes it as unintrusive as it can be. One might, or might not, charge the character with the penalties from having excessive bioware. As for genetic side-effects (Flaws), it depends on how much flawless was the transgenic restructuring.

In exchange, the character should suffer from Bio-Rejection, and could never be a metahuman or Awakened (the extensive genetic modifications would in all likelihood deactivate metagenes and the mage factor). Optionally, the origin process would give reason to charge the char with as many Flaws as wanted as genetic side effects. The character would be at the same rough power level as a very successful sammie after some years of career (stuffed to the limit with high grade cyber/bioware). Unsuitable for low-level play, but at home in a high-level campaign. Characters should still be allowed to recive after-birth additional modifications if they are improvements of inborn modifications (e.g. if the transgenic is born with the equivalent of Reflex Booster 2, it might undergo genetic treatment to have it improved to Reflex Booster 3).

It would closely resemble the level of effectiveness of the source material (Blade Runner, Dark Angel, Terminator): terryfing menace to normals, worthy opposition to its peers.

From a character POV, it would be a rather more plausible backhistory for justifying having a truckload of ware (instead of having sunk millions and millions of nuyen in 'ware and surgery), and it would allow having all of it utterly undetectable. IC, it would leave many potential char hooks (again, one is able to sack Blade Runner and Dark Angel cliches, here): seeking one's purpose in life and reconciling oneself with the idea of being a vat-grown creation, dealing with one's creators (who surely do not wish to relinquish control on their precious creation), dealing with the likely glitches in one's genetic makeup, etc.
Voran
QUOTE (Wanderer)

It would closely resemble the level of effectiveness of the source material (Blade Runner, Dark Angel, Terminator): terryfing menace to normals, worthy opposition to its peers.

Oh hell. I can't believe I forgot that. I don't wanna play Max the transgenic anymore. I wanna play Roy Batty! smile.gif
Wanderer
QUOTE (Voran)
QUOTE (Wanderer @ May 25 2004, 10:44 AM)

Oh hell. I can't believe I forgot that. I don't wanna play Max the transgenic anymore. I wanna play Roy Batty! smile.gif

Well, it much depends on whether you wanna play the Christ-like charismatic rebel leader blond hunk or the Robin-Hood-like sarcastic dashing thief brunette babe wink.gif

At a rough comparison, the power levels of Blade Runner replicants are similar to the ones of Dark Angel transgenics (if any, Max appears to have a more extensive set of superhuman abilities than Roy). cyber.gif Transgenics appear to be a bit more scientifically plausible than replicants, though. Genetically-modified babies are more believable than biological robots. Though the (mis)use transgenics and replicants are done of in both sources are *very* likely, and would made great inspirations for dealings between transgenic characters and creator corps in SR (though society as a whole would probably be less thoroughly hostile to them, is made aware of their existence: with orks, dragons and AI around, a replicant looks less strange). Probably, the existence of genegineered people would become another one of those "officially denied, but much talked about in underground media" half-secrets: everybody in shadowrunner community knows they exist thanks to Shadoland and the media, but the general public may think they are a urban legend.

We need to agree on a good name for this kind of character, though. Sources give a host of possible ones: replicants ? transgenics ? bioroids (biological androids) ? genegineered ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012