Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone tried Skillsofts much in SR5?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DrZaius
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 4 2014, 11:31 AM) *
Interestingly sometimes it seems easier to break into a megacorp lab and make off with that prototype than it is to successfully steal a car, co-opt the owndership and get it to the chop shop/ fence.

If I ever get a chance to run an SR game again, I will have the city they are operating in have a car stealing ring that is very protective of their enterprise. "You're trying to jack cars, in my town?!"
Jaid
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 4 2014, 10:56 AM) *
If I ever get a chance to run an SR game again, I will have the city they are operating in have a car stealing ring that is very protective of their enterprise. "You're trying to jack cars, in my town?!"

at which point instead of doing what you are probably trying to accomplish (get the game focused on raiding corporate labs for prototypes and such), you'll probably see your game derailed into "let's take over this car stealing ring and make lots of money". with a slim possibility (*very* slim, in my experience) that the players will try to work out a deal so that they jack cars for money as part of the car stealing ring.

it's generally much more effective to just treat the characters like they are what they're supposed to be; well-trained (often nearly equivalent and in some cases superior to elite megacorp security teams) and usually experienced deniable assets for hire. and then pay them appropriately, because otherwise they'll look for ways to apply their skills where they *are* paid appropriately for what they do.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Garvel @ Sep 4 2014, 07:57 AM) *
Mr Johnson: "Now gentleman, that you have agreed on the extraction job with a payment of 10,000 nuyen per teammember, here are some informations about the target subject."
*A image of some random guy pops up in the holo-projector that is build into the table*
"The person in this image is Joe Nobody, your target. He is currently employed in Corporation XY. He started there 1 week ago.
He is 21 year old and dropped out of school when he was 15. He has absoluly no educations or qualifications of any kind and is a failure in most aspects of life. We want him for our company.
As I told you before, you will have to deal with minimum security as he lives in one of the worse parts of Renton."

Runner 1: *nervously clears throat* "No education or qualifications you say? Why you want him? Has he magical potential or is some kind of 'chosen one'? Could he be dangerous?"

Mrs Johnson: "No, don't worry, he is nothing of that. It's just that Corporation XY implantated a skillwire system into him, thats worth hundred thousands of nuyens. So it's actually way cheaper for us to pay runners to extract uneducated workers from other corporations, than it would be to implant them with skillwires ourself."

Runner 2: "If he has such expensive implants, won't he have personal bodyguards?"

Mr Johnson:
"Most likely not. No company can afford to give personal bodyguards to each of their thousands low payment workers. He might have a Kung Fu skillsoft, but nothing that a taser and the advantage of surprise couldn't handle.
Companies that are extratorial will just make their workers never leave concern property. But we have especially chosen Corporation XY because they aren't extratorial.
You really have to wonder, why a company chooses to implant 300 k nuyen skillwires into low payment workers, if they can't shut them away in an arcology afterwards. It's like they are begging to be robbed. It's probably an old habbit, from when the skilwire system was only worth one-twentieth of was it is now."

Runner 1: "Wait a second. There are thousands of low payment wageslaves with expensive skillwires walking in the streets. With almost zero security. Even used skillwires still have a streetworth of 100 k nuyen. Why do I keep breaking into corporate facilities and risk getting my ass shot?
Why don't we just hack their cars, let them drive into the barrens, wait there to be the first to rob them, deliver them to a street doc, have that skillwire system extracted, let them wake up later in a bathtube full of ice, and have made 100 k nuyen pofit?
I have done worse for 100 k nuyen. We could lay low a long time with that much money."

Runner 3: "I have a streetdoc connection that would be willing to assist. I will call him."

Runner 2: "I will get ice for the bathtube."

Runner 4: "I have hacked already five cars of skillwired low payment wageslaves while you were speaking. We have to hurry to be in the barrens in time."

Mr Johnson: "Could you please first fulfill our contract? Time might be pressing. We fear that other corporations might also be interested in extracting Joe Nobody."
Depending on how well the removal of the skillwires goes, forget the bathtub of ice and call up Tamanous. I mean, if the wageslave dies in the process, waste not, want not.
Jaid
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 4 2014, 04:04 PM) *
Depending on how well the removal of the skillwires goes, forget the bathtub of ice and call up Tamanous. I mean, if the wageslave dies in the process, waste not, want not.

"call up tamanous"?

who do you think was removing the skillwires in the first place, the seattle general hospital? if you have a street doc contact who is willing to remove cyberware from a captured and unwilling person, odds are very good that you have a tamanous contact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012