Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Stormy Waters Sub-campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
adamu
Starting a game.

WHAT
This will be a sub-campaign within Aria’s Stormy Waters persistent thread. Some aspects will connect to existing storylines within the overarching campaign, some will not. Sometimes it may be unclear.

HOW
The stories here are going to be built on and evolve from the PCs’ character backgrounds and contact descriptions.

Once I accept a submission/approve a character, expect to wait a week or two for anything to happen while I work things up.

After that, each player will have their own thread for maybe 10-20 post cycles, with story completely focused on the PC as an individual. More likely day-to-day concerns than some grand shadowrun.

From there, players/threads will coalesce into pairings, which will continue for several post cycles to allow character relationships to develop organically in-game. From there, we will likely amalgamate pairs into groups, and transition the collection of personal stories into something more akin to a traditional “adventure.”

WHERE
OOC, this game will start out on both this site and Shadowgrid. When threads start being combined, the surviving threads may be on one site or the other. If you are not happy to play on either or both sites, best not participate.

IC, mainly Seattle.

WHEN
We’ll start late-2075.

WHO
Anyone can play. Recruitment always open.

Characters can already be shadowrunners, or they can be from any other walk of life and we will make you a shadowrunner.

However, there are some strict submission requirements.

1) Any SR5 RAW system, standard power level.
2) No Infected, no freaks. By which I mean, if it doesn’t look at least sort of like one of the five basic metatypes, no. No centaurs, no pixies, no satyrs, no sasquatches, etc. And even trolls can expect to have a pretty hard time in some aspects of daily life. No sprits, drakes, or AIs. No head cases.
3) SPECIAL HACKER/TM DISCLAIMER - this is an integral part of the game I love. But I haven’t understood or liked the rules since late-SR2. You are more than welcome to play such characters, but you may not get as much love from the GM in terms of role-oriented challenges. You’ll also be responsible for explicating your mechanics in some situations, yet still have to get GM-overruled sometimes even though you understand the rules better than me.
4) You will need to submit a very detailed character history, physical description and personality profile. No specific format, but if it’s not detailed enough that I can build a complex storyline out of it, I will ask you to elaborate until I have what I need.
5) Detailed contacts. For every contact, I need a lot of details on the individual and also specifics on how the relationship developed and where it stands now. Also, you get two types contacts. Type 1 is whatever you get from your RAW build. These are ‘your’ contacts, and I won’t mess with them ‘unfairly.’ Type 2, you get a very generous 40 points to allocate to connection and loyalty, but these are ‘my’ contacts. Their still yours to use, but I don’t have to play fair with them - you got them for free but I can do what I like with them in the name of the story. Again, if details are insufficient, I’ll ask for elaboration before approving.

SUBMISSIONS
You can put stuff on this thread initially, but we are now asking that all characters be posted IN FULL on the campaign's Obsidian Portal page.
If anyone needs invites or faces technical difficulties, please contact Aria.

REWARDS
As with all games in the Stormy Waters campaign, you get one Karma and Y2,000 per two IC posts.
The abstracted cash rewards pretty much stand in place of getting “paid” for stuff in the game.
Karma can generally be spent anytime as long as you can provide some sort of justification.

POST STYLE
For IC posts, you can do that rainbow thing if you like. Or not.
I prefer all game mechanics or other OOC stuff to be kept on the OOC thread (there will be one overarching OOC thread for this sub-campaign on each board), rather than in Spoiler boxes in the IC thread. Just my personal preference.

RECRUITMENT UPDATE

Second wave will be the end of the one-on-one, then duos, then finally groups format.
That means Beta, Chrome Head, Pap, and Brickyard if she comes back. Also Renard and Horseman if I get submissions.

I will still have recruitment open for people that want to join as others drop out, but they will be brought into the existing groups.
Aria
Well you know my hat is in the ring, looking forward to it!
adamu
Looking forward to your submissions, Aria - eager to get rolling!
Vegas
Oh crap. Why do you do this to me!!! GAH! *shakes as she tries to keep from creating a new character*
DireRadiant
I cannot turn down a chance to play in an Adamu run game...
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas @ Jan 20 2016, 04:26 AM) *
Oh crap. Why do you do this to me!!! GAH! *shakes as she tries to keep from creating a new character*

Give it a shot, and if it doesn't catch you, you can always bow out.

The initial one-to-one format is actually designed so that if you get into it, it grows, but if you don't, you can fade and no harm done.

You know you want to...it's going to be just the style you like - very RP-heavy.
adamu
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 20 2016, 05:37 PM) *
I cannot turn down a chance to play in an Adamu run game...

Dude sweet!

Standing by for whatever you come up with.
Vegas
It's starting to come together, a concept that is. I'll try to start fleshing it out and putting the mechanics to it to see if it's feasible wink.gif
mister__joshua
Can I keep using Jan? Or is he otherwise engaged?
Aria
https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...rs/tc-stormcrow

Here's my starting point! Contacts still need doing and the background needs work...not at all sure if she's the sort of thing you have in mind, the anthropologist may be more to your taste, we'll see...

As an aside, can anyone not already on the OP campaign page follow the link? I think the privacy settings should allow it but I'm not sure nyahnyah.gif
pbangarth
It works for an alien like me.

Cool character! The website as a whole works really well for a non-member to explore, though the maps are restricted and the adventure log doesn't seem to work. May also be restricted to members?
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jan 22 2016, 12:45 PM) *
Can I keep using Jan? Or is he otherwise engaged?

Dude, I play Al in three or four timelines at once.

You want to use Jan, go for it.

I've already got access to the sheet - will take a look and see what I might still need to get things rolling for you.
adamu
@all - have had some good bites, and many of those have now turned into submissions.

Like I said in the opening post, now it will be one-two weeks for me to absorb all the details and weave them into something approximating smaller and then larger stories.

Will PM people when I am about to launch their threads.

This is NOT a closure of recruitment - keep sending things in!
Aria
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 22 2016, 05:32 PM) *
It works for an alien like me.

Cool character! The website as a whole works really well for a non-member to explore, though the maps are restricted and the adventure log doesn't seem to work. May also be restricted to members?

Thanks! Don't actually use the maps (prefer Google maps overlays) and haven't bothered with the log either really wobble.gif
DireRadiant
Can I get invited to the 2075 Stormy Waters campaign on OP? My Username is DireRadiant.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Jan 22 2016, 10:41 PM) *
Dude, I play Al in three or four timelines at once.

You want to use Jan, go for it.

I've already got access to the sheet - will take a look and see what I might still need to get things rolling for you.

Cool. Where are you looking? It's been a while since I looked at it myself nyahnyah.gif

I'll try and get it moved over to OP at some point in the next 23 years, and also expand the background a bit as that seems to be where this one is headed smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 25 2016, 04:45 AM) *
Can I get invited to the 2075 Stormy Waters campaign on OP? My Username is DireRadiant.

Invite sent!
mister__joshua
My OP username is mister__joshua. I've had the account for ages but never used it smile.gif
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jan 25 2016, 08:24 AM) *
Cool. Where are you looking? It's been a while since I looked at it myself nyahnyah.gif

I'll try and get it moved over to OP at some point in the next 23 years, and also expand the background a bit as that seems to be where this one is headed smile.gif

I just follow the link on the third post of the main Stormy Waters OOC thread.
The history will need to be fleshed out a bit for this game - right now it's a short timeline and one para, so just a bit more...and then you'll need to do the free contacts.
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 22 2016, 05:18 PM) *
https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...rs/tc-stormcrow

Here's my starting point! Contacts still need doing and the background needs work...not at all sure if she's the sort of thing you have in mind, the anthropologist may be more to your taste, we'll see...

As an aside, can anyone not already on the OP campaign page follow the link? I think the privacy settings should allow it but I'm not sure nyahnyah.gif

Not about my taste, about what you want to play.

Stats all approved.

Yeah, still need the background fleshed out in terms of
(A) what you are doing now these days - what exactly is it the Choir is having you do for them (I love this, because it will make it easy to tie things into other aspects of the overall campaign)
(B) how do you contact them
© where do you live
and of course need the contacts.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Jan 25 2016, 06:46 PM) *
I just follow the link on the third post of the main Stormy Waters OOC thread.
The history will need to be fleshed out a bit for this game - right now it's a short timeline and one para, so just a bit more...and then you'll need to do the free contacts.

That's cool. The actual character is about 6 posts down from that one after I did a re-work. Also I've never recorded any earnings (xp or cash) so far so if someone has that info somewhere it'd be useful biggrin.gif
mister__joshua
Oh, and the free contacts are already on my sheet unless I have more that I'm unaware of?

If someone could add me to the Obsidian Portal group (same username) I'll try and transfer it over.
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jan 25 2016, 04:16 PM) *
My OP username is mister__joshua. I've had the account for ages but never used it smile.gif

Invite sent! You can work out your IC post count by clicking on the #of replies column and it gives you a breakdown of how many times players have posted!
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 26 2016, 03:34 PM) *
Invite sent! You can work out your IC post count by clicking on the #of replies column and it gives you a breakdown of how many times players have posted!

Cool. I think you already did a roundup for the first run but I'll be damned if I can find it. nyahnyah.gif

Edit: So I got 16 in LG and 33 in TLG. 49 total so far (but TLG isn't finished). Was it 1 Karma and 2000Y per post? Or am I remembering that wrong?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jan 27 2016, 10:07 AM) *
Cool. I think you already did a roundup for the first run but I'll be damned if I can find it. nyahnyah.gif

Edit: So I got 16 in LG and 33 in TLG. 49 total so far (but TLG isn't finished). Was it 1 Karma and 2000Y per post? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Rewards are 1karma 2000nuyen per 2 posts! smile.gif

And Adamu is offering 40points of freebie contacts which you can add! I think it's something I will also implement later on down the line, I love contacts!
mister__joshua
Ah, ok. That sounds more sensible nyahnyah.gif

Are the freebie contacts including the freebies I already have or on top of those? I've got him up on OP now. He's a straight copy for now but I'll look at editing/expanding him in future.

Are the other characters/NPCs assumed contacts or should I spend points on them? There are a lot more character on there than I expected!
Is there a common format that all of the OP characters are using? Also, they all seem to be made using AAACE priority?

How does this fit in with the TLG timeline? After it's finished?
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jan 27 2016, 02:51 PM) *
Ah, ok. That sounds more sensible nyahnyah.gif

Are the freebie contacts including the freebies I already have or on top of those? I've got him up on OP now. He's a straight copy for now but I'll look at editing/expanding him in future.

Are the other characters/NPCs assumed contacts or should I spend points on them? There are a lot more character on there than I expected!
Is there a common format that all of the OP characters are using? Also, they all seem to be made using AAACE priority?

How does this fit in with the TLG timeline? After it's finished?

The freebies are an additional 40 points of contacts, which I need detailed, esp. with regard to how you know and interact with them. But since they are free, they are also mine to mess with! You can use other players' posted contacts if you want - easier for you, makes good overlap.

Don't assume you know any of the other characters at first - everyone starts out solo.

A lot of the OP characters are from other games, and many are from a prime runner game Aria did, so that's why they are sum-to-14.

My game's timeline will be late 2075, after the events of TLG.
mister__joshua
Cool, I'll try and work in some more background and contacts then. Are people like Aria/Silk and the other runners (Al etc.) considered contacts?
adamu
Well, you know Al and Silk from game play already, so no need to spend points on them.

If you want to pick up other NPCs or PCs that aren't going to be in Tangled Currents, that's cool.

But, with a few possible exceptions, none of the players in Tangled Currents will know each other at game start.
Vegas
Can someone link me into the OP site, username: Vegas

Danke! biggrin.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Vegas @ Jan 29 2016, 02:50 AM) *
Can someone link me into the OP site, username: Vegas

Danke! biggrin.gif

Sent!
adamu
UPDATE

First - another big shoutout to Aria for so much help getting people onto the Obsidian Portal page.

Having character submissions scattered around this and other threads, many in multiple pieces, the consolidation on Obsidian Portal has been a lifesaver.

So I am modifiying the initial post of the thread to say that all players in this game should be on Obsidian Portal.
Most of you already are.
If anyone has any trouble with this, do let me and Aria know so that we can work something out for you - we don't want to exclude anyone, I just need to get organized.

Still on track for a mid-Feb launch.

The following is my current roll-call of players, with where we are in terms of your basic submission.
Over the next two weeks, I may be contacting individuals for additional details or to talk about story plans.

Aria - Got stats, got WIP history on OP. Need contacts fleshed out.

Jack_Spade - Got everything on OP. YES! Still figuring out the rules for you, but I'll get there....

BrickyardBabe - On OP, thank you. Still going over your stats. I see you've done all your contacts - can you copy those (and also that cool physical description you posted on this thread) onto OP? Then I still need history.

Beta - says still with us, but moving slowly on submission, volunteered for second wave of entries.

Dire Radiant - Have stats, have history, have primary contacts, but I don't think I have bonus contacts. Have a spot on OP, but nothing in it yet....

RaiderJoseph - Have everything, and all on OP. Plus your own fluff thread. Thanks!

BlackBart - Everything seems done, but nothing on OP. I notice you said you have a username there, but haven't found our campaign page? Is that getting resolved? You've got everything submitted, now we need it on OP.
And another solo fluff thread, which I am enjoying immensely.

Vegas - working on a submission....has been invited to OP

Mr. Joshua - Good to go on OP! But need contacts fleshed out and also your bonus contacts.

All4BigGuns - Understood about Shadowgrid board only, no problem. Have your submission - can you get it onto OP please? And need character history.

Prof Gast - Have initial submission - next step is get on OP and we can see what you may still need.

Klaus - working on something for second wave.

Apologies if I've missed anyone (don't think so) or missed any element of your submission (more likely).

The biggest thing I find myself asking for are the bonus contacts.
I know that is a lot of work, but that's what the campaign is centered on.
Be sure to include how you know them, and how you handle your interactions (Aria has a cool template to help with that somewhere....)
And don't forget you can and are encouraged to use other players' contacts. That'll help "tangle the currents" and save you a lot of work. Just don't forget to include how YOU know them.
Vegas
Question, if I have racked up cash and karma from other SW:2075 sub games, can I spend them towards this character? smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Vegas @ Feb 1 2016, 04:08 AM) *
Question, if I have racked up cash and karma from other SW:2075 sub games, can I spend them towards this character? smile.gif

As long as you haven't 'spent' them on the other character then absolutely! Although run them past Adamu as he's the GM on this one biggrin.gif
Aria
At the risk of repetition

For bonus karma for submitting contacts on OP (and to make sharing them easier) please put them here: https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.com/wikis/contacts with the format based on the entry for Silk. Each entry here counts as 1 IC post for rewards so some depth is appreciated! Thanks!
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 1 2016, 12:49 PM) *
As long as you haven't 'spent' them on the other character then absolutely! Although run them past Adamu as he's the GM on this one biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, all good.
Chrome Head
The game I was in seems to be dying out. Are you still recruiting?
mister__joshua
Couple of questions on contacts:

1) Do I write a contact's background from the character's point of view, or are the contacts their own characters (eg including information the character doesn't know)?

2) Can I use some of the free contact points to increase the ratings of my existing contacts?
adamu
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Feb 2 2016, 04:10 PM) *
The game I was in seems to be dying out. Are you still recruiting?

Yes, but...

The start date I've set to give myself time to work out individual storylines for all the characters is mid-Feb (yikes, coming up fast).

But I am maxed for the first wave on that date.

Please by all means submit on Obsidian Portal per the opening post requirements, and we will get you in as soon after mid-Feb as I can work it.
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Feb 2 2016, 04:59 PM) *
Couple of questions on contacts:

1) Do I write a contact's background from the character's point of view, or are the contacts their own characters (eg including information the character doesn't know)?

2) Can I use some of the free contact points to increase the ratings of my existing contacts?

1) if they are 'your' contacts (i.e. not bought with bonus points) you can write them however you want. Bonus point contacts should be written in 3rd person, cuz there may indeed be facts or motivations you don't know about.

2) Yes, but if you do that they become contaminated by the bonus points and fall under my evil power!
mister__joshua
Would you be opposed to me changing my background? It won't change his character/personality in a big way, but I'd like to re-write it.

What about re-working my qualities a bit too, so long as I keep them balanced? I'm thinking of ways to make him more interesting for a character-centric roleplay biggrin.gif
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Feb 3 2016, 02:01 PM) *
Would you be opposed to me changing my background? It won't change his character/personality in a big way, but I'd like to re-write it.

What about re-working my qualities a bit too, so long as I keep them balanced? I'm thinking of ways to make him more interesting for a character-centric roleplay biggrin.gif

No problem.
Beta
Hi, I'm Beta on the shadowruntabletop forums -- it is easier to say that 'Betx', but I never got around to figuring out how to change my handle on here.

Since those other forums are making Chrome have kittens right now, jumping to this thread instead.

Although I'm in the second wave, now that I have a character concept that is working better for me I'm starting to generate 'stuff' (mostly done on the character build, starting to churn out bits and pieces of background, etc). I can either start posting stuff to OP, or hold off for now so as not to clutter things up until you have the first wave launched.

And in case Adamu is also avoiding the other forums due to the warnings, I'll repeat a couple of questions here:
- for the freabie contacts (the bonus 40 points) do the usual loyalty+connection <= 7 rules apply?
- I think that the list of NPC we are choosing those contacts from are the NPC listed in the 'big black book of contacts' in the Wiki on OP. Is that correct, or should I be looking somewhere else for that list?
- And I'll add a new question: when I write up my own contacts, just do it in the character sheet, or post them elsewhere?

And one question pointed to RaiderJoseph: do you mind if I use Mr. Mouse in a bit of fiction? (or possibly as a low level contact -- he'd still be yours to define and control, he just kind of works perfectly for my character. All I'd want to confirm is that once in a while he may have shared a few noodles with a stray dog that was hanging out near him?
adamu
Beta - yes, my computer won't even let me log in to the other forum, just all warnings about dealy malware. Hope they get it resolved soon.

Glad to hear you are coming up with good stuff!

No, for the bonus forty don't worry about the 7 limit - but if I think they are too powerful they'll probably be the first to die!

Yes, feel free to choose from the black book, or just make up your own.

Wherever you get them from, if they are going to be your contacts please list all the details in your char sheet on OP - so many characters, I need one-stop shopping,as it were, for character info.

I think you were also asking about Honesty.
I guess if we had to abstract a connection rating it'd be around a 4 - not much in general, but really tied into the magic world. There really should be subculture-specific connection ratings...

Never bothered with stats for her because she's not technically my contact.
I mean, I made her up and had my character interact in depth with her for dozens of posts - but there's not really a mechanic to translate that into a rating in SR5.
Beta
Instead of a random rat shaman I was thinking that she sounded perfect for being my character's guide back to being human (especially as I'd decided already that he'd been locked into dog form rather than rat -- makes better story for that part, and that leads to using dog totem)

Do you mind her being used as a contact? If not, i don't suppose you'd be able to point me to where in what thread your interactions started? If it is OK to use her as a contact I'd like to read how she's been written in the past.
Beta
The penny finally dropped for me -- when you said we get 40 points of contacts that are yours, it means we create contacts but freely pass them over to mess with? (I had been thinking that it meant we chose them from an existing list of NPC, which was where all my questions about 'is this the list we are working from?' came from)
Aria
QUOTE (Betx @ Feb 5 2016, 12:07 AM) *
Instead of a random rat shaman I was thinking that she sounded perfect for being my character's guide back to being human (especially as I'd decided already that he'd been locked into dog form rather than rat -- makes better story for that part, and that leads to using dog totem)

Do you mind her being used as a contact? If not, i don't suppose you'd be able to point me to where in what thread your interactions started? If it is OK to use her as a contact I'd like to read how she's been written in the past.

Check out the 'General IC' thread, be warned most of the 10 page thread is Adamu's Al and his interactions with people nyahnyah.gif ...good reading though!
Beta
QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 5 2016, 05:18 PM) *
Check out the 'General IC' thread, be warned most of the 10 page thread is Adamu's Al and his interactions with people nyahnyah.gif ...good reading though!

Oh dear, I really shouldn't have started in to that at lunch time, hard to leave it alone and get back to work. Good writing indeed!
adamu
Thanks, those are kind words.

Afraid the story has gaps where Al's timeline goes onto othert threads and then comes back, but all the Honesty stuff is there.

If you don't want to read everything, he first encounter's Honesty's web in post 14, but we don't meet her until around Post 50.

She is a perfect contact for what you are trying to do.
Beta
QUOTE (adamu @ Feb 5 2016, 09:28 PM) *
Thanks, those are kind words.

Afraid the story has gaps where Al's timeline goes onto othert threads and then comes back, but all the Honesty stuff is there.

If you don't want to read everything, he first encounter's Honesty's web in post 14, but we don't meet her until around Post 50.

She is a perfect contact for what you are trying to do.

I'm loving Al smile.gif Yep, hit a couple of gaps, but figured them for what you said here and just carried on. So far I haven't gotten past Honesty being all mysterious (then again, maybe one never does .....) but will keep reading.

I'm intending to shamelessly make use of other people's contacts. My tentative timeline/contact-connection flow is shown below, but Adamu if you could look at the part in blue to see if that jives with your feelings on Honesty that would be great. (I'll write this all up properly, but trying to get agreement on the bones of it first)

Mr. Mouse (Raider Joseph's creation -- a dwarven snitch) meets a dog:
- Mr. Mouse let's a stray dog lick out the last of the sauce from a container of take-out, afterwards the dog shows up periodically, mooching.
- One time the dog warns Mr. Mouse of danger, after which Mr. Mouse starts calling him Rusty, and leaves a few noodles in the containers as well as the sauce.
- Mr. Mouse has a case of wrong-place-wrong-time, and a bullet shatters his femur. Rusty had run from the danger, but came back, licked the wound .... and the bone knit back together although the wound didn't fully close. The dog started limping and oozing blood from one of his back legs.
- Mr. Mouse thought this seemed like saleable information, so coaxed the dog to come with him to his back-alley medic of choice, Drox.

Drox 'adopts' Rusty (Drox is my creation, I'll post her on OP shortly -- troll medic (and dental hygienist))
- Drox takes care of Rusy's wound as well as Mr. Mouse's, and give Rusty a good meal.
- Rusty leaves, but comes back the next day mooching -- and appearing to be fully healed. While Rusty is there someone who was late paying debts comes in, and Rusty helps heal their contusions. Rusty again seems to be hurt, but by the next day again seems to be doing better. Drox starts feeding Rusty, and Rusty helps out in the healing. Occasionally he isn't all the way healed by the next day, but he does seem to heal up extraordinarily quickly.
- After a couple of months, Drox begins to feel that there is more to Rusty than just magical healing. It happens that one patient had a tatoo that she was very protective of, so much so that in the end Drox had just bandaged a wound and transported her to the oddest tattoo artist to sort out treatment that wouldn't ruin the tattoo. Much though Drox loves fantasy novels she doesn't deal with much real magic very often, and the strange tattoo lady seemed to know a lot of odd things, so Drox finally coaxes Rusty to come with her to visit Honesty.

Honesty breaks the spell
- After a brief examination, Honesty dispells the spell that Rusty has locked on himself. She talks with him a bit more, gauging how he is doing, and eventually asks him to stay with Drox, but to come back to see Honesty periodically.

- Once I'm in the 'coming back to visit periodically' part, I should be fine to just write. It is the 'how Honesty gets involved' that I want to make sure feels right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012