Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Anarchy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Prime Mover
Gamerati mentioned in recent article Shadowrun Anarchy will be showing up at Gen Con. A trimmed down version of the rules for new players. Curious how this will differ from quick start rules.
Sendaz
There should just be a booklet in it that when you open it says 'There are no rules' nyahnyah.gif
Mantis
Kind of says something about a game's complexity when the quick start rules are still too complex for new players to use at a convention.
Sengir
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Apr 8 2016, 04:41 PM) *
There should just be a booklet in it that when you open it says 'There are no rules' nyahnyah.gif

It's not that we mind rules, just the rule-makers nyahnyah.gif
binarywraith
Missed opportunity here to call it the Neo-Anarchist's Guide To Conventioneering.
Critias
It's not a stripped-down version of the quick start rules, it's an alternate rules set you can convert characters/NPCs/whatever into, to run the game with a lighter, more narrative-oriented, system.
Zednark
Hmmm. Seems interesting. Shadowrun World kinda already fills that niche, though.
Sengir
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 8 2016, 11:46 PM) *
It's not a stripped-down version of the quick start rules, it's an alternate rules set you can convert characters/NPCs/whatever into, to run the game with a lighter, more narrative-oriented, system.

But you're not going Apocalypse World on us, are you?
Sunshine
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 8 2016, 11:46 PM) *

Does anybody have a link to this Article or a download? Where can I get my hands on this?

Hi,
Sunshine
Bull
QUOTE (Sunshine @ May 9 2016, 06:40 AM) *
Does anybody have a link to this Article or a download? Where can I get my hands on this?

It's not out yet. No ETA on a release yet.
binarywraith
Well, keep us updated. I'm very interested, as from what I hear Anarchy is being somewhat based on the Shadowrun Returns style of rules, and I'd be interested in trying it out on my group since we've never really stopped having teething issues with SR5.
Zednark
Hopefully it's rules light enough for easy one shots.
Prime Mover
Critias drops some sanctioned info over at rpg.net forums.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?779798...ouncement/page9
binarywraith
Cautiously optimistic!
Bodak
If it's Critias's work that does sound very promising - the Urban Brawl rules got very positive reviews that I saw.
carmachu
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 8 2016, 04:46 PM) *

Will that be for sale for the general problem later on?
binarywraith
Okay, my cautious optimism has run out.

This is apparently going to run on the Cue system they used for Valiant Universe, which is about as rules-light as they come... which is really a pretty poor decision so far as things I could think of to translate Shadowrun to. But hey, I suppose they already own the rights to the system, so it's got to be cheap at least!

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2016/07/s...-we-took-a-cue/
Sengir
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Aug 2 2016, 02:32 PM) *
which is about as rules-light as they come... which is really a pretty poor decision so far as things I could think of to translate Shadowrun to.

Uhm, wasn't that the expressed point of the whole exercise?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Anarchy is an interesting approach to the game at large, to be sure. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
Kesendeja
I just hope it doesn't kill off the main line.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
It shouldn't... It is a different Flavor of game...
It will likely appeal to those who have a dislike for the complexities of the mechanics in Shadowrun, but LOVE the World and the narrative thereof.
sk8bcn

Everything has a price!

(Gimme 5 bucks even for this)
nezumi
Sounds like a good move. A lot of people don't care for the mechanical complexity of SR and if they took it in half-steps it would be direct competition for the main line.

Now when I play with my lame, rules-lite friends, I will only cry a tiny bit wink.gif

lokii
Anarchy does not mean there are no rules. But they better not have a GM. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (lokii @ Aug 4 2016, 11:03 AM) *
Anarchy does not mean there are no rules. But they better not have a GM. wink.gif

Of course there is a GM. *shakes head* smile.gif
lokii
Counter-revolutionary!
Sengir
QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Aug 4 2016, 04:59 PM) *
Everything has a price!

Anarcho-capitalism is considered by most anarchists (basically all who are not AnCaps themselves) to be as much anarchist as the DPRK is democratic biggrin.gif

Also, does anyone possess (but not own as property, of course!) the Valiant rules and can enlighten us on them?
Sendaz
AJ over on the other forum had a pic someone from RPG.net had put up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpIL2_jVUAEDJBJ.jpg:large
Tecumseh
It's Salish-Shidhe, not Salish-Sidhe, but oh well. I'm still interested.
Sengir
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 7 2016, 02:50 AM) *
AJ over on the other forum had a pic someone from RPG.net had put up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpIL2_jVUAEDJBJ.jpg:large

The thread from RPG.net is a great source, Critias has ben dropping lots of information there.

And IMO the charsheet is still very recognizable as Shadowrun...would be interesting to see how the rigger looks like
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 7 2016, 08:55 AM) *
The thread from RPG.net is a great source, Critias has ben dropping lots of information there.
Cool! Thanks, wasn't aware of that thread. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Aug 7 2016, 12:29 AM) *
It's Salish-Shidhe, not Salish-Sidhe, but oh well. I'm still interested.

That's easily fixed since that's just a prototype meant to gauge reaction. Characters aren't quite etched in stone yet.
Sengir
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Aug 7 2016, 04:22 PM) *
That's easily fixed since that's just a prototype meant to gauge reaction. Characters aren't quite etched in stone yet.

How dare you correct the sample characters, heresy! biggrin.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 7 2016, 11:09 AM) *
How dare you correct the sample characters, heresy! biggrin.gif

Wait, they can do that? wink.gif
binarywraith
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 8 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Bets on it going to press as-is?
Patrick Goodman
I'll take some of that....
Critias
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Aug 8 2016, 05:31 PM) *
Bets on it going to press as-is?

Sure, whatta ya got? wink.gif
Bull
I got a couple nuyen I can toss in on that action as well smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 8 2016, 10:01 PM) *

Hopefully not. Sample characters without obvious omissions may sound like a small and innocent change, but those small deviations corrupt the soul, leading to weapons which load magazines and bear non-gratuitous foreign names! In one word, Heresy!
Gingivitis
Shadowrun: Anarchy's cues and tags really reminds me of Dresden Files too. That had a very interesting character/world creation system. I am looking forward to this.
Critias
QUOTE (Gingivitis @ Aug 9 2016, 09:17 PM) *
Shadowrun: Anarchy's cues and tags really reminds me of Dresden Files too. That had a very interesting character/world creation system. I am looking forward to this.

That sort of thing ("Aspects" in Fate/Dresden) really helps new players and GMs, so we're laying 'em on pretty thick here, yeah. Glad you think it looks good!
Sengir
A bit more info from somebody who has the book

"Everything has a price unless it's critters" is in, initiative simply passes around the table, damage = net hits, armor is a "shield" providing extra hitpoints. Not sure how Ini enhancements are supposed to work in that system, but otherwise it does not sound bad. Also, there is the implicit admission that nobody can define what constitutes and attack and what doesn't biggrin.gif
psychophipps
I have to say that all that in the Anarchy book for $5 has to be about the best bang to production quality buck I have seen in quite a while.
Gingivitis
It looks like Ini enhancements (cyber, bio, magic, drugs?) give characters more Attack Actions... which is to say that they can attempt to hurt more than one person per turn.
lokii
Episode 90 of the Arcology Podcast starts out with a short summary of the prototype content: http://arcologypodcast.com/episode-090-anarchy-at-gen-con/

And Complex Action did a ~45m interview with O.C. Presley and Russell Zimmerman about Shadowrun: Anarchy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7lAvAiUpEg
Blade
Looks better than I expected, but I'm keeping my own set of lean rules. Rolling buckets of D6 might define Shadowrun to some, but it sure is a way to slow down action resolution.
Sengir
I'm a bit on the fence about armor being just extra HP...the other dice-free option of substracting armor from incoming damage would probably not work with the rather low damage values, but it just feels wrong...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 16 2016, 11:47 AM) *
I'm a bit on the fence about armor being just extra HP...the other dice-free option of substracting armor from incoming damage would probably not work with the rather low damage values, but it just feels wrong...

It actually worked pretty well in our testing of the system.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2016, 11:49 PM) *
It actually worked pretty well in our testing of the system.

You mean the "damage subtraction" or the "energy shield"?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 23 2016, 01:42 AM) *
You mean the "damage subtraction" or the "energy shield"?

Been a month or two since we participated in the Playtesting of Anarchy.
The Added toughness due to Armor worked out pretty well, since it was not over the top onerous.
Since it is a more narrative system, the mechanics really did take more of a backseat to the story that was being told. It was an enjoyable playtest.
There were a few bugs that we reported that needed to be adjusted, IIRC, but enjoyable nonetheless. smile.gif

Looking forward to the completed product. Have yet to actually get it.

As a side note - My personal opinion was that while fun and enjoyable, FATE would have been a better System to use, as that was designed from the ground up to work as Anarchy emulates. But that is opinion only, as the system used for Anarchy did work pretty well for what it was going for. Kudos to the design team. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012