Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents--Lizzie
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Imladir
Author: Mercy Merchant

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0132 Lazy B Bar Touristville Seattle

Both Jessica and Jezzabel stand. "Alright, time for us to going off as well. There is only so much of this music I can stand. When do you want to meet again?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author: Ennui

I'm meeting Jess tomorrow for that thing if you want to be there. I don't think we need to schedule meetings unless you want. I figured I'd just let you know when I got a line on the property and was thinking of starting the testing. We have each others coms if we need anything else or you guys need refills. I say we play it by ear. I shrug.

After we say our good byes and we are in the car I pull out my com and make a show of rebooting it. Chinatown, I say and hold up a finger in front of my lips. Looking at Glinda. Once we enter and I see it's effecting our coms I finally speak up.

It's not that I don't trust them but it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to this. They are curious about you so you might reboot your com and maybe get a bug sweeper for the car for a bit. Jezzabel is good and they are smart and they didn't get as far as they have trusting easily. I know you and Sian can take care of yourselves but I'd rather not make it easy for them to make either of you angry.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0230 Chinatown Seattle

Glinda has been as quiet as you have on the ride to Chinatown. After you speak, she nods and smiles. "Yes, that Jezzabel seems to be quite talented. Do you think she tried to mark our devices? Do you trust the lot of them?"

[ Spoiler ]

Once we've reached Chinatown I answer her. Sure I trust them, our goals are aligned. As for marks, I don't think they'd do it maliciously but they are curious about us. You more than me. I know they've checked me out but you are completely unknown to them and that scares them a little. Like I said you should be cautious until they get to know you better. I don't want you to have to get angry at them for snooping in the wrong place.

OOC: Fixed to be at Chinatown.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0231 Chinatown Seattle

Glinda nods again. "Wise counsel. I agree with you and will be cautious. Are we going to see Sian?"

You said you wanted me with you to discuss the initiate group we discussed earlier at "Creole town". In case she had questions and to discuss including Shelly and Corbin in our little secret. If you want to wait on that we can but I'd rather not wait too long to get that started. It's going to take some time to get set up and I'm already restless.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0233 Chinatown Seattle

Glinda shrugs. "Sure, I still think that she should be involved in the discussion. I was just wondering about the time. It is like you never sleep." She laughs. "You remind me of me."

I've been a night owl as long as I can remember. I've actually been getting to sleep earlier since I've met you. Let's go see her if it isn't too late.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0245 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda smiles as she leads you into the maze of alleyways in Chinatown that connect to the Barrens. "I do not think Sian sleeps, to be honest. She is always awake, although I have seen her meditating once in a while."

The streets are crowded with people, even at this hour of the night. It appears that life goes on at odd times in this part of the sprawl. You are still avoided by most of those you approach or pass by. Glinda nods then turns her head to you. "Sian is in the lower market and would like to meet us there. Is that alright with you?"

I do my best to try and remember the way again checking for landmarks counting streets and so on while we walk. I check my pockets to get the bacon treats ready for the kids. Fine with me.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0246 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda smiles as she leads you through the warren of narrow streets that would be little more than wide alleys out in the Downtown District. "Am I to avoid talking about the Js? I will not lie to her if she has specific questions, but I can avoid bringing the subject up if you want."

No, of course not. I look at her a bit confused. Please do, in fact. I would certainly expect you to keep Sian appraised of the situation. Is there a reason you think we shouldn't? I don't think they will become a liability unless you are careless about your secrets. Do you think she will have some kind of problem with it?

I mean, I haven't been secret about my plans in Redmond. We even spoke about gaining allies and solidifying our positions. Granted the J's will allow me to solidify my power base there much faster and in a larger area, than expected but that is just saved resources we aren't pushing expansion just putting the machine into place, so to speak.

I walk in silence a bit, considering my words.

I feel like that was a test, I say with a sigh. I understand if you two don't trust me fully yet. In your situation I probably wouldn't either. Test me all you want. I don't mind, just try not to jump to conclusions. That's all I ask.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0250 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda stops walking and turns to you, placing her hands to each side of your face. Her eyes bore into you like diamond drill bits then she lowers her face to yours and kisses you. There is something a bit different about the kiss that you just cannot put your finger on, but when she pulls away, she says, "No, that was not a test for you. I know that you are not planning just one thing and was not sure if you wanted to combine things at this point. I see no problem with telling Sian about the new allies. I just want you to know that I cannot lie to her. She made me and I cannot act against her. I was trying to see if you were willing to talk to her about this and warning you that I will not be able to lie about it if she asks me. I have no tests for you other than testing your stamina in bed."

"Are we good?"

I just needed to say it is all, at no point were we in danger of not being good. I know your loyalty to Sian is unwavering...maybe that's why it felt...off.

Like I said, I want to stay in charge of things in Redmond but I don't see any reason you all can't be friendly. Just be careful with your secrets. I will do my best to divert their attention but that responsibility ultimately lies with you two. I'm sure you are much more practiced at this than I am.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0251 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda smiles and takes your arm in hers and continues down the street. "You would think so, would you not? Yet, sometimes things go wrong and someone figures it out. That is when the peasants with torches and pitchforks come out of the woodwork and we have to leave another home. Hopefully it will not come to that this time for a few more centuries."

After a few more minutes of walking, you arrive at the lower market, where you find Sian with her Hell Hound companions picking through the items at one of the booths. Sian turns to you as you approach and smiles. "Lizzie, what a nice surprise. I did not expect you to return so soon. What can I do to help you?"

Hi Sian, I say kneeling down and cooing at the hounds. I bring a few treats for them out of my pocket and hold them out to them. Then add with a laugh. Glinda and I were discussing the possibility of starting a secret society and thought you might be interested. We probably shouldn't talk about it out here though.

I give the hellhounds some attention then straighten up and give Sian my undivided attention. It's not an emergency though we can wait for you to finish whatever it is you are doing here.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0252 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

You feel the warmth of their breath on your hands as the Hell Hounds take the treats from you and snuffle about for the crumbs. Sian laughs. "Traitorous fiends. It is good that a few treats are not enough to make them more loyal to you than to me."

She looks around and motions with her arm and a pair of Orks of greater than normal size lumber up. One is carrying several packages and Sian gives it the one she is carrying, speaking very quickly in a tongue you do not know. The Orks do not even seem to acknowledge what she says before turning to leave her and the market. Sian turns to you and nods. "I am now finished here. My place, then?"

Like that would ever happen. I just want them to be happy to see Auntie Isla, I say at the hounds in that annoying way people talk to their pets.

Your place it is then.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0255 Chinatown Barrens Seattle

The three of you leave the market headed for Sian's place, with the two massive Hell Hounds following close behind their mistress. The walk takes a few minutes as you move down narrow and twisted streets. No one stops or bothers you and by now you barely notice the number of people that move aside and flash some sort of sign with their fingers. When you arrive at the slovenly-looking place that Sian calls home here, the hounds peel off to curl up on the street, one to each side of the door. Their large heads watch you as you enter the building.

Sian motions with a hand and lights spring up from several locations and another motion removes the glamour of the messy apartment room, revealing a place much more modern and certainly better kept up than your first look would reveal. She nods with her head to the modern stove and Glinda walks over to get a kettle on. Sian sits in a chair and offers you another. "Tea, dear?"

That would be lovely, I say. I glance after Glinda and then continue, Glinda said she wanted me here in case you had any questions she couldn't answer, but if she's getting the tea I'll just go ahead and start. You both obviously know some advanced magic and I have been anxious to explore the higher mysteries myself. I had suggested that we form a magical group to do that more efficiently. Our purposes seem to align, yours here in Chinatown and mine in Redmond. This would include a ritual led by a person with the knowledge of the bonding ritual. I've been studying it and I suspect to have it learned relatively soon, if you don't already know it. There would be some minor costs, maybe a one or two thousand nuyen and a spiritual cost akin to binding spirits or quickening spells. The group bond is fairly intimate so we should be prepared to not keep secrets from the initiating members. We can include strictures as well to encourage teamwork and collaboration in our individual agendas as well.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0300 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian waves a hand. "Advanced magics is hardly the word I would choose, Isla. Different is a much better word. In my youth, there were many different types of mages, some using bound books, others sucking life force from the environment, others who used small familiars to bring them spells, and some few who could just call upon the power of other planes. You and I just conceive of magic differently and so use it differently. The laws Glinda and I must obey are not the same as the laws you obey. So, saying that, is there anything to be gained through this ritual? What exactly does it do, and who do you propose to share in it? Just the three of us?"

Initiation allows us to explore the higher mysteries, if your magic is different I would imagine you simply have different higher mysteries than mine does. Initiation would let you do that and an initiation group would let you do so with the assistance of others in the group. If that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you then no there wouldn't be any other reason to do it other than the edification of the others who were. It would be best if we all wanted the same thing though, that kind of alignment of wills makes things much easier as far as the magic is concerned.

As far as I am aware there must be at least four members in the bonding ritual so we would need to include Corbin in the group as well. We were going to facilitate a meeting if you were interested. You should probably meet my friends at some point anyway...considering. I shrug.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0301 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian looks at you. "So can this circle use our skills to help you achieve some sort of greater power? Even if we do not use magic the same way? I could support that if you think it will help you." She thinks for a moment more, "This Corbin, he is a mage like you, then? He uses the magic the same way. And would he have to know what Glinda and I are and would he accept that?"

Yes it would help increase my magical power but we could also use it to tie acolytes I train to us as well. Adding initiates is much easier than starting the initial bond and we could introduce strictures such as secrecy and a requirement to work towards the groups goals and that sort of thing. But even if it doesn't help you in the same way as it would help me surely there are higher mysteries in your own art that you could pursue with our help. Glinda showed me a little of what you do and it could be able to help you with control and resisting the lure associated with it. The group should benefit us all and learning if you two might be capable of more than you know would be as interesting as pursuing my own mysteries.

Corbin is an adept he uses magic to physically enhance his body. It makes him faster and better at certain skills, I'm not entirely sure what he's capable of.. It may not be required that he know, however it is a real possibility that he would discover this and could complicate his acceptance. If we told him and Shelly they would be apprehensive and curious at first but I'm nearly certain they would accept you. We three have been together for so long I think that even if that weren't the case they would accept it so long as I did. I have faith in my friends, faith born of a long and harrowing shared history. I'd bet my life on them...I have.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0303 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian cannot help but snort when you talk about your long shared experience with Corbin and Shelly, but almost immediately pouts a hand up. "I am sorry. I do not mean to belittle your time together and it was rude of me to make that sound. Sometimes it is hard to even understand time in the same sense as those I am talking to. I am interested in this learning circle. Of course, there are levels of mastery within my own art that I have not mastered yet and would love to do so. I am not sure that this circle will help, but I do not know that it will not, either. I am, of course leery of confiding my secrets to even more, but perhaps it is necessary. Tell me more of what we must do and what the gain will be."

You don't need to apologize. You have lived a long time Sian but time is relative. You have known Glinda for two thousand years, but how many years before you met her did you have? I have lived the whole of my life with these two. I cannot remember a time when I did not know them. That's eternity for me. I understand your hesitance, but you saw how easily I accepted what you two are I wouldn't suggest it if I wasn't sure of how they'd react. I expect a little fear but mostly of curiosity.

First I have to finish learning the ritual to give you exact details but I should have it down in the next few days. The closer we are aligned in our purpose and the more rules we place upon ourselves the easier it will be to create the bond and the less money we will need to spend on reagents to make it easier. Have you done any ritual spell casting? It's basically the same thing but we will have to construct a lodge big enough to complete it and I would suggest making that place our base of operations. So we should pick up some real estate. The group would allow us to initiate at a reduced cost of on par with an ordeal and can be combined with an ordeal and even schooling to reduce it further. The payment being that energy you barter with spirits for or you use when you bind them. That sort of thing. we would have a centralized area of study for academic pursuits and we can help each other on ordeals and initiations to increase our knowledge of the mysteries and meta planes. If you want to do it in the barrens it could also serve as the school for those with the Talent I am able to find. I think a stable of mages at our beck and call would be quite useful. The four of us would be in charge of course and we can keep you out of the limelight as much as you wish...depending on how you want to focus on keeping your secret.

Ah, and then there is that small complication. I don't think you will need to worry about it but I have made some allies recently in Redmond where I am attempting my own gentrification project. similar to yours. A group of six genetically bred super-soldiers have come into the possession of 5 of the gangs surround my territory and I have made an alliance with them. We've started a leadership council and will begin recruiting a "meta-gang" from the impressive talent we each discover. However they are wary of Glinda and curious and I've cautioned her about being careless around them. I think we can trust them. Our goals are in alignment, but I wanted to keep you out of it, partly to protect your secret and partly because I need to be in charge of Redmond

[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0306 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda brings the tea over and sits down. Cups are filled and Sian places a hand on Glinda's. "Yes, we have been together a very long time, but you are right; I was more or less alone for a long time before I brought her over. There were others, of course, but none for as long. I can understand your situation. I would rather not move too fast, though, as I have experienced disappointment before."

"I am not sure what a "lodge" is, but it sounds like a place to concentrate our magical energies. If that is correct, I can support that. It sounds like you think it will be expensive, so will it detract from what we are doing here and in your own Redmond?"

It shouldn't be exorbitantly so, maybe ten thousand nuyen tops. I can cover that no problem. Think of it more as an investment in our activities rather than detracting from them. I would also suggest dues to keep the property up, but again a monthly fee of 500 to 1000 nuyen should be plenty. This can be as much use in our endeavors as you would want it to be. If we eventually include those Talented that I train this could be a significant resource in helping with our goals.

The four of us would be the inner circle. Additional acolytes would provide a base of magical talent to draw upon as needed and they would be tasked with assisting our plans as part of the initiation rites. Granted that will take some time...like I said, it's an investment.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0308 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian laughs. "I like a girl who thinks 10000 Nuyen is a paltry sum. I do not wish you to have to carry the full cost, so do we each put up 25%? And where do you think we should set up? I can get a large place here for cheap and can secure it, but would this background count be something of a concern for you? I understand that it is quite high down here. Perhaps we can find a place more suitable, but that will probably cost more. What do you think?"

The lodge would take care of the background count but I think that the other issues make this a bad choice. Too much noise and the fact that this place is a labyrinth are problems. There's a building near where I live that looks like a good spot. You can check it out if you'd like. It's 4 stories I figured the bottom floor could be a youth center, basically a cover for our activities. Second floor could be the school and the third and fourth floors the initiate groups headquarters.

Plus that would give you a good reason to come visit us once in a while Sian.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0310 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian nods. "Alright. I can see your point. So does this building add to the cost or is it included? I would not expect a four story building to sell for your 10000 Nuyen. Or am I missing something?"

Well I haven't priced the building but I already live on the top floor. Monthly that runs 7k. The rest is mostly abandoned though. I could probably get the whole thing for 20k a month. I'll have to talk to Feather about it to be sure. Dues would just help me pay for it I don't expect you guys to invest in my community project. If you want to pay for half the lodge that's fine. I just didn't think you'd made that much off me yet.

Also to sweeten the deal. Once you get the facility up and running I'll make it an even 50/50 split.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0312 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian and Glinda look at each other and the teenaged vampire nods. "We might be able to divert some funds for this. Let me know how much you need and when and I will see what can be done. Could I come see this place?"

She nods and smiles at the offer to go 50/50, holding out her hand to shake on the deal.

Sure. It's the rest of the building where we are living now. We should have you meet Shelly and Corbin while you are there. Let me know a good time and I'll have them there to meet you.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0313 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian smiles. "I can leave instructions with people here, so I am pretty much available any time. Just contact me and I will come out. I think I would like to meet these friends of yours."

Sure. I'll try for 2100 hours but I have to confirm with my people. I'll leave it up to you guys when you want to make the big reveal, but please don't wait too long. I really hate keeping my friends in the dark about this, but I also want you to feel comfortable enough to confide in them. So let's try to meet somewhere in the middle. It doesn't have to be today if you aren't comfortable with that obviously.

Hey guys we are having a guest over around 2100 hours. Can you guys be there?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0315 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian rocks her head from side to side a couple of times then shrugs. "Sure, 2100 today is doable. Is there any sort of security on the building that will require me to present some form of ID?"

>>Damn, girl. I know you are a night owl, but do you know what time it is? 2100 tonight? That will cut into selling time, but I am doing rather well as it is, so sure. I will let Shelly know when she wakes up. Is someone else moving in?<<

There are some Scarlet Blades who watch the place. I'll let them know you are coming. I assume you will bring the children? I think that would be distinctive enough for just a general description.

Pfft. If I'm in bed before 800 hours it's been an exhausting day.

We should discuss the strictures of the group as well. The more we have the easier the spell will be but the less freedom we have. Pacts made with magic are not something you can simply shrug off. The obvious ones are Secrecy, Service and Dues. Rule one we don't talk about magic club easy right. Rule two We have to spend 20 hours a month doing tasks that advance the groups cause. Since the groups cause is to support our efforts making our respective barrens a better place this should be a no brainer. Rule three Dues 1000 nuyen a month to support the group should be simple enough. The fourth is where it gets tricky.

Before I get into that we should also discuss the punishment for breaking strictures. Now seeing as anyone could make a mistake and accidentally break one of the strictures I would suggest we bar any permanent crippling or wounds because that could kill someone with as powerful as this bond would have to be. I suggest branding. This is a mark that is impossible to hide and makes it apparent to anyone that you have broken magical laws, not just the group, anyone. It lasts until it is atoned for. The others involve crippling loss of magic, and pain of death. I may be a vindictive bitch but even those are a bit harsh for me.

Keeping that in mind we should probably take a fourth stricture and we can add a fifth for any new recruits Obedience...meaning they have to do what we say, obviously. For our fourth there is Deed every three months we have to do something specific to demonstrate loyalty to the group. That seems fine but is a little esoteric but probably something we can pull off without worrying about it too much since our goals are in alignment. Exclusive membership meaning we can't join other magical groups, again probably not a big deal. Fraternity we have to help other members when asked, again no big deal but breaking a stricture is bad and this one can easily be broken if circumstances conspire even with the best intentions.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0320 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian sips at her tea as you talk, her face impassive and as unreadable as a good poker player's. When you are done, she sets her cup down in front of her. "My, you have been thinking of this quite a bit, haven't you? I think my biggest question is whether or not it matters if our magics are no the same sort. Do we risk anything if it does matter?"

"It seems that you have listed several options for a fourth stricture; is that correct?"

The magic not being the same will make the spell more difficult yes but it shouldn't be dangerous.

Well yes...I actually wanted your input on them all but the first three simply seem like obvious choices but if you have a problem with them we can move things around.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0322 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian nods again. "Alright. I can agree to the first three, but I do question who would determine if an unintentional break has been atoned for? I do not very much like the stricture that all new members must obey the ruling four. I think that would limit our pool of potential members too much and I do not really like idea of them not having free will. I also question whether or not the dues will be sufficient to cover the costs of paying for the building and maintaining it. They might need to be higher to start with and we can lower them in the future. I like the ideas of Deed and Fraternity, though."

Obedience is more of a chain of command thing, like a gang or mercenary group, we aren't taking away their free will there just would be the magical mark for not following orders that they would need to atone for to remove. Also so long as an honest effort to help or follow the order was completed success is not necessary. We could order someone to fly but when they can't they wouldn't get punished for not being able. At least with obedience we can come to an honorable agreement not to abuse the chain of command. Fraternity would be similar to Obedience but anyone could ask anyone else for help. The magic is what determines whether a stricture was broken and from what I've read it is a very letter of the law type of thing. I think Deed would be our best bet.

I think we can keep official dues small and we can agree to each chip in additional funds so long as we are able. I would hate for one of us to have a hardship and get stuck because we couldn't come up with say 5 grand or more. I think it would be better to keep it reasonably low and just add to it as needed rather than using contract magic to enforce it.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0324 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian shrugs. "Deed it is, then. I can see a real potential to abuse Obedience and I do not see the problem with Fraternity, but I can agree to Deed. I can also agree to your lower limit on the dues as your argument makes sense."

I would suggest we attempt to enforce a command structure even if we do not enforce it with magic. If you don't want it as a stricture that's fine. We probably won't be inviting acolytes into the group very soon anyway. So do you have any more questions

The main obstacle I can see at this point locating the lodge materials. I'll have someone on that but if you can keep an eye out for some things to it might help. The stuff is relatively cheap, just hard to find. Especially for how powerful our lodge will need to be.

I give Jill a call and let her know what stuff I need for the lodge and ping her with a list and a short text.. Hey Jill you are probably asleep but I need a few things if you can find them. I'll see you this afternoon. I can't wait to play with those foci you got for me.

[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0326 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian nods. "A command structure is fine and probably necessary. What sort of materials do you need for this lodge? It sounds like a lodge is very similar to what I use for some of my harder sorceries, but I am not certain. Once in a while I need special pigments and chalks, rare ointments. That sort of thing. These are usually hard to get and can be costly. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about? If so, can you give me a list and I will see what I can do."

Jill does not respond right away as she is likely to be in bed..................like normal people.

[ Spoiler ]

Lodge materials are typically a bit more permanent than those sound. Then again I'm not sure how you use them. I use expendable reagents for similar things and we will need plenty of those for this, but these are the things I will need for the Lodge. I swipe her the list I sent to Jill.

[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0327 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian looks at the list you have sent her and smiles. "I can start looking for some of these. Do they need to be fresh or can we gather them over time and store them for use later.?"

The lodge stuff is permanent, that's the stuff on the list. Reagents can be gathered pretty much anywhere and can be stored for later use. You can buy them off the shelf normally though I don't need any help with that...other than the cost if you want.

Hmm, now that I think about it, the background count in the barrens might be a problem. Glinda does it effect your casting much? If that's the case a temporary lodge in an area without a background might work better, but if it's not a big deal then setting up a permanent lodge for us would be a better idea. A temporary lodge would also be cheaper but a high powered permanent lodge has it's own advantages.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0328 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Glinda shrugs. "My casting? Not so as I can tell. Summoning is a bit of a pain in some places, so I suppose that can be put down to this background count. I have never really considered it to be more than an inconvenience, but if it is to you, I think we might consider a different place. Perhaps the first step is to find a spot where this count is lower or negative. Is that something that you can do while we start looking for these reagents and lodge materials?"

It wouldn't be for me. The lodge will cover it for that. You two should try some harder magic and see if it stresses you any. If it doesn't we will find a nuetral area to do the bonding. I hope to be able to pull this off in about 3-4 days
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0329 Sian's Home Chinatown Barrens Seattle

Sian smiles. "You tell us where you want us to do this, Isla. It is all a bit new to me and I do not want to pick a wrong place. Three ot four days should give us time to find most of these things. Do you want to split the list up so we are both doing part of it?"

I want to do it at my building, but if it detracts from your ability to assist I will find another place. I also want the spell to succeed.

I have my talismonger on the list, anything that we double up on I suggest we just go with whichever is cheaper. I'll consider our other option and see what you think when you come over later tonight. I think we've made some real progress here. I thank you for your hospitality as always Sian and I look forward to seeing you again later. But I have work to do and miles to go before I sleep.

Taking my leave I feed the puppies their treats again on the way out and head home to finish up the refinement of my products. If everything goes smoothly we should be done about 800 hours if Glinda helps.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0815 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian laughs. "I seriously doubt if the location will have any real impact on my ability to assist you. I will see you tonight, though, and we can try things out and see if there is any difference."

Both of the others were home and curled up in bed by the time you and Glinda had arrived back at your apartment. Glinda was more than willing to help and her assistance allowed you to get things done by just after 0800. She had remembered most of what you had told her the first time and so had needed very little reminding, which brings out a very pleased look indeed. "There. Another lot finished. I am getting a good feeling about all of this, Isla. So, what is next?"

Hoi Feather. I need to speak to you about renting out the rest of my building. Text me back when you can.

Yeah, me too, I say. I peel off the protective gear. Shower and bed for me next. You can join me if you want, but it's the first night as a roomie you might want to sleep in your own bed.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0816 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda strips her gear off as well then comes up to you. Standing only inches away from you, her eyes are like pools of darkness that seem almost able to suck you into them and her voice is warm and low., as seductive as anything you have ever experienced. "In my opinion, sleeping alone sucks. If it is up to me, I want to be in your bed, even if all you want to do is cuddle together. I will, of course, respect your decision in this." She traces a finger down your cheek and turns to go to the shower. There is a lot to be said for the way her naked form looks as she walks away from you.

As you wish. I say and step into the shower. After a quick shower I head to bed. I squirm enticingly in Glindas arms as I get comfortable and close my eyes.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 0825 Isla's Apartment Seattle

The enticing bit gets a reaction if you are looking for one, but if all you are doing is going to sleep, she accommodates you. You feel as safe as you have ever been as she wraps her arms about you and begins to softly sing a song in a language you do not recognize, but the effect is to lull you to a restful sleep.

I get up and get dressed, trying not to wake Glinda if she's still sleeping and put on a pot of coffee. I check my phone to see if I have any messages and I'll send a link to Jill. Hey babe. I've got your money if you have those foci. You can bring them by here, I have real coffee or we can meet up somewhere.

While waiting for a response I will take a seat at my altar and astrally project and do some astral recon at Casa Corse.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1625 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda is not in the bed when you wake, but there is a text message waiting from her on your 'link. >>I have gone out for a bit. Stay safe.<<

Your note to Jill is answered withing a couple of minutes. >>Be there in about two hours.<<

Your journey to Corse's house takes very little time. Astrally, there is no real activity there or anywhere within a short distance. Of course, it is midday for normal people and Alvin is probably at work.

[ Spoiler ]

I check his house and surrounding area for any wards etc. I will also assense the place to see what kind of vibe I get from it. assensing (http://orokos.com/roll/472381): 8d6t5 4
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1630 Alvin Corse's House Seattle

There are no wards in the immediate vicinity of his house, but there is something warded about three blocks away. The vibe you get is that this is a sad place. The outside is not as well kept up as the neighbors and there are no kids' toys in the yard or driveway.

[ Spoiler ]

I investigate the wards 3 blocks away can I tell what tradition force etc? I summon a force 4 water spirit (detection) to watch both places and then report it's findings before dusk summon resist drain (http://orokos.com/roll/472610): 10d6t5 5 4d6t5 2 10d6t5 5

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1635 Alvin Corse's House Seattle

The sadness of Corse's house is not reflected at the other house. The ward there is pathetically weak, perhaps established by someone just learning how to do it? The caster is almost certainly shamanic.

I shake my head and return to my body. I'm more interested in the other house than this Corse guy. No reason I can't do both I guess.

I grab a cup of coffee and make myself some breakfast. I turn on the news feed and check out the latest news. Then head into my alchemy lab to study the blood until Jill shows up for coffee and foci.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1650 Ilsa's Apartment Seattle

The blood does not seem to have deteriorated at all and you feel a strong urge to examine it. You definitely have the feeling that this could be a strong reagent and useful in your attempts to learn more about your own magic.

[ Spoiler ]

Curiosity peaked about how it might tie into my own magic I continue studying the blood until Jill gets here or am otherwise interrupted.

OOC: I know that. Sorry for the typo.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1810 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Yes, it is all about curiosity, isn't it? This blood is just fragging DIFFERENT. It sparkles in the light and acts almost as if it is.........................alive or something. But this is just crazy talk, right? Part of your mind spells out the obvious; if just this little bit is this interesting, just think of what even more might be like.

You are interrupted by a knock on the door and you hear Shelly call out to you. "Hey, you in there? Jill is here to see you, Says that she has presents."

Come in, come in! I invite Jill in, show her to a seat and get her some coffee. Cream or sugar?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1815 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Jill smiles and sits down after taking the coffee and sniffing the aroma. She smiles as she takes the first sip. "What, and ruin the taste? Black is just right for me." She nods her head at a duffle on the floor near her feet and toes it closer to you. "Presents for you, dear. Check 'em over to make sure they are what you are looking for."

[ Spoiler ]

A woman after my own heart! I say fanning myself. I move to join her and inspect the presents. Were you able to find all three? I'm so excited. I know these go for 20 grand typically but you said there was a mark up, how much do I owe you?

I astrally perceive and assense them all to verify they are the correct sort.
Imladir

OOC: 20K each?

OOC: yeah rating 5s run 20k + markup

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1818 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Red Eye Jill smiles a bit ruefully. "Well, you are a good customer and a better friend, so the markup is only 15% for these. Shall we say 69K for all three?"

[ Spoiler ]

Sounds great! I set up a cred stick with the amount and hand it over. How's biz?

I put the earrings and the pendent to begin the bonding process of one of the earrings.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1820 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Jill gives a rueful laugh. "That was too fast. I knew I should I have asked for more." She bends over to pick up the duffle and nods. "Business is good and picking up. It is like there is a run on things magical. All very strange but who am I to complain?"

You just saved yourself time haggling is all. I'm more than happy to pay my friends a regular markup.

So lots of sales lately? Dish! I can keep it confidential I promise. It might effect biz for me you know.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1821 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Jill nods again. "Well, I would not say lots, but there has been an uptick in the past couple of days which I hope extends for a bit longer. How is your business?"

I've made a few inroads into some new markets so things are looking up. I also found a little hole in the wall that sells actual coffee. I'd say things are turning up aces for me. Now I'm just waiting for the other inevitable shoe.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1825 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Jill grabs her things and stands. "There is always another shoe, isn't there? I hope that it is a slipper in your case, dear. Let me know if I can help you more."

With a cheek buss, she is gone

I go knock on Shelly's door. Hey babe Corbin told you that we are having company around 2100 right?

After getting her answer I grab a tome and start reading up some more on this group bond.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1826 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly calls out over the sound of her current favorite music remix. "Yeah, hon. Do I need to be gone?"

No I want you and Corbin to meet someone. Granted the conversation will be about magic some but I'd like you to be there in general please. You may also be involved so I want you able to make decision before we make anything permanent so you don't feel left out.

I take a look at the tattoo magic that would allow Shelly to be a part of the group so I don't have to keep her out of the loop.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1827 Isla's Apartment Seattle

The door opens and Shelly is standing there wearing trousers only, naked from the waste up. She is putting some new earrings in and the music mix is lots louder. "OK. He said 2100, right. For how long?"

I don't know really. An hour or two maybe.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1828 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly nods. "Cool. I am trying on some new things I bought today. I'll be ready for company."

The door to the apartment opens and you hear Glinda calling out. "Anyone home?"

I think everyone is, I haven't checked on Corbin though. I was just about to go start another batch for later. I find I am busier than usual these days and I want to have a stock pile in case I can't cook for a few days.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1829 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda comes to where you are talking to Shelly and smiles. She leans past you and gives Shelly a kiss, which is returned, and her eyes fasten on Shelly's bare torso. "Hello, you two. I have missed you today." She turns to look at you. "Do you need any help? Either getting ready for Sian or in the lab? I am at your disposal."

I don't need any help if you have other things to do but you are welcome to join me if you want. I think the place is relatively clean. I'm not the best housekeeper but I'm no slob either. Jess is suppose to call about the thing when he's ready but that can be put on hold for a few hours. Feather might call about the property but that shouldn't take long. I can show off my workshop to Sian and actually have some of the process happening while she's here. I shrug.

I head to the workshop to get it set up.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1833 Isla's Apartment Seattle

It takes a few minutes, but the door to your lab opens and Glinda comes in to help you set things up. She works quietly and efficiently, remembering what you have shown already, asking only one question for clarification.

We work quickly and efficiently, starting to get each others rhythms down, not much longer and we should be a well oiled team. After about an hour we finish up to allow the mixtures to set and cool for the next step. I'm going to grab a quick shower before Sian comes.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1940 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda nods and asks if she might join you.

Yes, of course. But I'm afraid we don't have time to play, at least, not to my standards. After teasing you last night that simply wouldn't do. I say rubbing my hands and give my best evil genius laugh.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1942 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda smiles and nods as she steps into the shower. "Yes, the teasing was a bit.....................uncharacteristic. But perhaps understandable. Are you leaving the timing of telling Corbin and Shelly about us to me and Sian?"

Uncharacteristic? Hardly. The build up is my favorite part. The ache and the desire that's what I like. The payoff is only as satisfying as the build up. I say moving closer to her in the shower. I playfully grab her rear and steal a kiss.

The tease is my favorite part, I say then turn away to wash up.

I will leave the timing to you and Sian...to an extent. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow but it needs to be soon.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1945 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda swats at your ass when you turn away. "Oh, you have the desire all built up and I intend to give you the payoff later." She is quiet for a bit, then says, "I will let Sian get to know our friends and take my lead from her. I am sure that she will come to a decision within your time restriction."

It's not an ultimatum or anything. it's just the sooner we get started on this the better off we will be and the more time we will have to gather power before we start having growing pains, I say matter-of-factly.

Besides it feels wrong you living here and them not knowing and I'm worried what might happen if they were to find out on their own, I add quietly. I'm sure they would be understanding just not as much if they found out on their own. We must temper our caution with determination so as not to let it become procrastination.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1946 Isla's Apartment Seattle

"I can agree with you on that. Secrets are not good among friends." She laughs as her hands run across your back. "Are you sure they won't freak out and go for the stakes or something?"

I move to wash her back and reply, I am as sure as can be reasonably expected. I like to think I know my friends well enough to say I know how they would react in any given situation, but some dark corners of peoples psyche remain mysteries to us all. I would risk my life on my friends though, I know that I am asking for a lot from you and Sian, but I swear I would risk it all and more on my friends. I hope that you can come to see that too.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1946 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda smiles as she turns to face you, giving you the opportunity to wash her front. "I understand, Isla, and so does Sian. It is just that you have probably never faced a horde of peasants with pitchforks and torches in hand, all of whom are intent on staking you in the heart, dousing your body with holy water, and then burning what remains into ashes that can be purified and buried in a stone crypt. It might sound crazy, but I have been the target of such a crowd more than once in my life. However, you are.....................different. Both Sian and I believe that. And I am willing to trust Corbin and Shelly if you say I should. I am pretty sure that Sian will see it that way as well." She stiffens a bit. "Oh, yes, that feels nice. You don't have to stop if you don't want to, but it might eat up too much time, though, and I can wait until later. Just not too much later."

Maybe not hordes of peasants but we three have spent months running and hiding from monsters who wanted to eat us or worse. I know it's not the same but I think the parallels are there. This is one of the reasons I think my friends may be some of the few people who might understand the two of you. I linger a bit longer on Glinda then finish up the shower and get dressed.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1948 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda nods. "It appears I have embarrassed myself. I am sorry to dredge up memories and would not want to have you think that I do not realize that you have experienced something similar to what I have. I am sorry."

Glinda follows you out of the shower and dresses silently, remaining behind for a moment after you leave then going to her room and shutting the door. As you pass into the living room, you feel a ever so slight but noticeable tug from the alchemy lab where you have the blood.

No need to be embarrassed I've mentioned it once is all and I've been distracting you...

I pop into the lab and open myself up to perceive astrally. Confused about what might be calling to me. I make sure the blood is secure and glance around trying to find the cause.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 1950 Isla's Apartment Seattle

It seems that the blood itself is attracting you and you feel a very slight desire to look at it, to study it, to master its secrets. It is not yet a demand....................................................

I set my com to alert me in about 40 minutes then pull out the blood and stare at it for a while with a pensive look. almost expecting it to talk to me. I look at it again, assense it again then refine it into reagents if nothing interesting happens by then.

[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday. 12 June 2075. 2030. Isla's Apartment. Seattle

Your assensing tells you that the blood you are looking at is a little bit stronger than it was earlier. Beyond that it does not yield up any secrets. However, it also proves resistant to farming for reagents. It also is hard to look away from it, even when the alarm sounds forty minutes after you walked into the room.

Well that is unsettling. It doesn't appear to be any sort of magical enchantment but a property of the blood itself for one to become obsessive with it. I shall have to be very careful of this.

I wrench my gaze from it and return it to it's place, then head out into the common room to await my company.

Wednesday 12 June 2075. 2040. Isla's Appartement Seattle

It actually takes you three minutes to get to the door and through it, but once out of the room you no longer have the urge to go back in. Corbin, Shelly, and Glinda are waiting in the main living room,chatting. They all look at you and Corbin says, "You OK, Lizzie? You look a little pale."

Shelly laughs. "She has been working too hard. I know just what she needs and the three of us are just the ones to give it to her."

Glinda has a worried look on her face, but only says that Sian will be at the apartment in a few minutes.

Eh? Perhaps that's it. I glance at Glinda with a furrowed brow for a moment then turn my attention to getting things ready. I put on coffee and break out my good booze. I pour myself a drink, knock it back and grab another then join my friends.

So how are things? I haven't seen you guys as much as usual, but I know we've all been busy.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2047 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly stretches. "I have been very busy working my regulars and expanding a bit in addition. And you have not been home to help me get to sleep. It has been a bit lonely. Fortunately, Corbin has stepped up to help. I have been hoping our new roommate would be more available, too."

Corbin and Glinda both laugh and Glinda says, "I will be better at that."

You get a message from one of the gangers watching the place that a young girl is walking alone on the street. She doesn't have any large dogs with her so they want to know if this is your guest.

Maybe. We'll come down and see.

Sian might be here, but I guess she didn't bring the kids you want to come greet her with me Glinda? We'll be right back.

Once I have Glinda alone in the stairs I mention the blood. So that stuff you gave me...I think I've discovered a strange property. I've checked it for any magical residue to see if it was enchanted or anything but apparently it naturally causes an obsessive compulsion. Sort of like the One Ring in the Lord of the Rings, if you are familiar. I see why all the other alchemists you mentioned went a little axe crazy. You should probably take it back before it becomes a problem.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2050

Glinda watches you closely as you descend the stairs. In a soft voice, she asks, "Do I have anything to worry about, Isla? You will never know what you can resist if you give it back now."

I glance at her out of the corner of my eye. You think I need practice? I'm not an a stranger to the dangers of addiction. I am, after all, in the habit of fulfilling my desires not combating them. I might be more willing to risk the dangers if there was some tangible benefit from it, but it just seems like a tease with no payoff. I can't even make reagents out of it. If my friends are noticing physiological changes in me after just a few days of study I think that maybe the possible reward, of which I am unconvinced there is any, simply doesn't measure up. Why risk everything for nothing at all?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2051 Isla's Apartment Seattle

From the corner of your eye, you see Glinda frown and shake her head. "I am saddened that you would think that I would give you something dangerous that has no value to you, Isla. My blood is a direct link to power that you could have used to help with your own spells. I am still not completely familiar with your magic, but others have used the power of the blood as a sort of focus to add strength to a spell. But once used, the power is gone and another sample of blood is needed. That is the addiction, Isla; the continuous need for more of our blood to give extra power to your spells."

She pauses. "I can destroy the sample and remove the addiction before it becomes a problem. I can also remove the source of the blood from your presence if you want. Your call."

I thought you were unaware of the properties of your blood. Fine I will use it like that and see what comes of it.

Don't be silly I was trying to be considerate not imply that you should leave. You are the one who warned me about the other alchemists. I thought it was simply greed that sent the others to their destruction but there is some other component involved. I thought I was being responsible.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2051 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda stops and takes you by the shoulders so she can face you. Her eyes are kind and her smile seems genuine. "Isla, we are intercommunicating here and I would like to be sure that we are both saying the same thing. As to magic, I know what my blood does for my magic, but mine is not the same as yours and so I do not know what properties my blood might have for you. Ancient alchemists were always just one step away from finding the mysterious agent that would help them turn lead into gold. Some thought that a vampire's blood was that agent, so, yes, greed has been a factor in the past. Mages of any age have long been convinced that a vampire's blood can make their own spells stronger, which makes sense. But a side effect of using the blood is a sort of addiction, a need to have a larger supply available to make gold or to do greater and more powerful magic."

She pauses, "I do not want to leave and am willing to take a chance that you will not abuse me or kill me for my blood. I feel a closeness to you that I have not experienced in a very long time and I dearly want you to understand that." She leans into you with slightly parted lips.

I kiss her, putting myself into, trying to show her what I mean not just tell her. I hold eye contact while explaining. Part of the reason I don't think I want to keep it is because of you. I don't want you to feel threatened or worried about me.

I like to give in to temptation. I REALLY, like it. But there is temptation and then there's just stupidity. Just from a few days of studying it...not even using it, I'm experiencing physiological changes and an obsession. What kind of hold would it have on me if I used it. I wouldn't want to have that anchor tied around my neck even if I could make it myself, as much as I ever wanted. Add to that the fact that the source is a very good friend of mine and harvesting it would be bad for her. It's unthinkable.

When you seemed to not be concerned about it I played it off and was just going to destroy it myself and think nothing of it afterwards and assuage your fears. I suppose I should have just said so but I figured now isn't really the best time for that conversation what with the others upstairs and Sian waiting for us.

Are we cool? I finish, brushing a a few stray strands of hair from her face.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2052 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda holds the kiss for as long as she can and her hands brush against you before she forces them back to your shoulders. Her voice is soft and seductive. "No, Isla, we are hot, not cool. I burn with desire for you, to share information I have gathered over hundreds of years; to combine our bodies in sexual techniques that most people cannot even fantasize about but I know; to be a friend that you can count on no matter what, with the only exception being that I cannot do harm to Sian, who created me."

She focuses on something for a moment and then smiles. Simultaneously, you feel as if a weight has been taken from you, although there is a quick pang of loss that slips away. "I have destroyed the sample so you do not have to worry about it. If you later feel that you are strong enough to want to examine it again, I will give you another sample."

At that moment, the door of the lobby opens and three of the local gangers enter with Sian, who smiles at you. "Are the lives of these three important to you, Isla, or are they free for the taking?" The three men look like they would be willing to gladly give up their lives and their attention is totally focused on the fifteen year old girl in front of you.

I can already feel it's pull gone. We may have to experiment with that, but I don't think I'll be doing it alone.

Did they displease you? I fear it may have been my fault. I'd hate to think they were taken because they were showing loyalty to me. Their disappearance might also cause me some trouble with the gang...I should really get in with the leader and talk to Marcus. I shake my head. Sorry tangent. I'd prefer you didn't. These may not be the best men but they have been loyal to me and surprising respectful. If it is my choice I'd choose the devil I know.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2053 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian smiles at you and you shiver just a bit despite yourself. "No, I am not displeased with them. On the contrary, I find them desirable. But I will release them if it would displease you to lose them." She looks at the three gangers and they shudder and back away, muttering something about hoping you have a pleasant evening. Once they disappear, Sian turns back to you. "Now, let's meet your friends and talk about this circle. I have been collecting these reagents and some of the other materials on your list for your lodge. We can talk of plans."

She looks back around at the door. "I do not often leave my home, Isla. It is nice to do so once in a while, so thank you for asking me over."

No problem. You are welcome here any time. I hope we didn't keep you long.

You want the grand tour? This is also the place I was thinking of setting up shop for the coven. As you can see the ground floor is nice and open with the offices and few apartments which would make for a decent day center of some kind. The second floor has more apartments than the top. We've renovated the top floor to our personal tastes.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2055 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian waves her hand. "You have not kept me waiting at all, which certainly pleases me."

She looks around the large room and motions at the expanse. "It does look large enough, but I will have to take your word that it has enough space for the lodge. May I look about?"

[ Spoiler ]

Sure. I think the place may have a few squatters, gangers mostly, but I don't think anyone actually rents this place but us. My fixer still hasn't gotten back to me about renting out the rest of the place. I give her the tour.

The center of the ground floor has a lobby and an enclosed, quartered section once used as offices or boutiques during more affluent ages. Six medium sized apartments flank on both sides and the stair case and elevator take up the back area along with the maintenance tunnels. The second floor is basically the same floor plan but instead of a lobby there are three more apartments and the central area where the businesses stood is a disused courtyard and defunct terrarium. The third floor is us. My apartment, the guest room that is now Glinda's and workshop take up a bit over half the top floor while Corbin and Shelly have the other side.

I open the door and introduce our guest. Sian, this is Corbin and Shelly. Chummers this is Sian. She is our partner in China Town.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2100 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian walks around with you. "Is it your intent to leave the squatters in place or do you have plans for them?"

By the time you get to your floor, she is smiling. "Yes. I can see some potential here, although I hope that your living space is better kept than the other floors."

Corbin and Shelly stand as you enter and acknowledge Sian. Corbin smiles. "Am I supposed to know we have a partner in Chinatown?"

I was just going to put them on notice that they could stay until we needed the rooms at which point they would be expected to clear out. I doubt that will be any time soon really I don't like to skip straight to kicking people out of their homes.

After the introductions I answer Corbin's question. You are now, that's why I'm telling you. Glinda and Sian have expressed some interest in our magical group idea. They are attempting to do something similar to our goals here in Redmond in Chinatown, so it seems we have both common interests and common cause. I figured everyone should get to know each other.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2102 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Corbin and Shelly nod, but Shelly says, "Are we moving too fast, Lizzie? I mean, this could all backfire on us, couldn't it?"

Sian nods. "Smart girl. Yes, it could and we do need to move slowly. Too much exposure too soon could be very bad for us. That is one reason Glinda and I are here; to talk and make plans. But first we need to see if we can be compatible partners. Lizzie asked us here because she and the two of you are such good friends and she wants you both to be comfortable with what we are doing and with who we are, individually and as a group. Right, Lizzie?"

Things are moving a little faster than I had anticipated. Nothing we can't handle though but it has instilled a little urgency in the getting to know you part of things. There will be tribulations ahead, of course, but with the right people I believe we can overcome anything and I believe the right people are here with us in this room. The J's also seem promising but I am not tying us quite so firmly to them. They have a bond much like ours but I am an outsider with them and I don't want them to feel like I'm intruding. They also share the caution we do but I wasn't expecting to court them as allies as quickly as I have needed to. This is have no such compunctions. I find Sian and Glinda to be refreshing company and we share goals and experiences that I believe make us...well, soul mates if I can use such a corny cliche. Frankly I've been wanting to introduce you all since I met her and Glinda, but Sian is a bit more...reclusive than Glinda for some reason.

So yes. I want you to be comfortable with each other and understand each other that we might all be friends here. I get up and grab glasses and Ice and break out a few bottles. I pour shots of my ginger vitae, let a bottle of wine begin to breath and open up a bottle of scotch. I start passing out glasses to everyone then raise a toast Shall we have drinks? A toast to new friendships perhaps.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2103 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Corbin and Shelly look at each other and then smile at everyone in a welcoming manner. Shelly accompanies you to the kitchen when you go for the drinks and catches your arm as she speaks in a whisper. "Lizzie, what is going on? The girl, Sian? She can't be more than fifteen. What sort of partner can she be. And what the frag are we doing in Chinatown?"

Appearances can be deceiving Shelly. That girl is nothing that she seems. Try to get past the eccentricities of her appearance and get to know her. WE aren't really doing anything in Chinatown. SHE is attempting to gentrify the neighborhood, much like our goals here. She leads a distribution ring on that side of things

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2104 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly nods. "Got it. Make nice and get to know her. It just seems strange looking at someone that looks like her and not thinking that she is only fifteen. But if you say she is alright, I will see what I can do." She squares her shoulders and gives you a pat on the back before walking back into the living room with you and a tray of drinks.

Sian and Corbin are sitting on the couch and Glinda is standing at the large window, looking out at the sprawl below. She turns and thanks Shelly when offered a drink and lifts her glass in a silent toast to you. Shelly places the tray on the table near the other two and joins them on the couch. After some small talk, it seems that the ice is broken and Sian looks over to you. "Well, Lizzie, you have some very nice friends and a nice home. But I think I was asked here to talk about a circle of some kind. Can you please explain that to me?"

Corbin and Shelly both turn to look at you with questions on their faces.

The main reason was so everyone could get to know each other. Since Shelly isn't awakened I didn't want to bore her with that stuff and have her feeling left out, though she is of course involved in the proposed goal of the venture. I go over the things we discussed earlier. Corbin has heard most of it before but I hit the high points and specifics we had discussed earlier. I keep it clear of magical jargon so that Shelly can follow along with the conversation and doesn't feel left out.

[ Spoiler ]
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2150 Isla's Apartment Seattle

After some back and forth and some quite serious questions and answers, Corbin seems convinced. Shelly looks concerned, most likely because she does not really grasp what you are saying. Sian looks at you and says, "So, Lizzie, when are you looking it do this?"

Soon, hopefully. I want to make sure we can all work together and be comfortable with each other. This kind of bonding requires a fair bit of trust. from all parties.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2152 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian nods and looks at you. "Lizzie, would it be possible to chat for a bit with Corbin and Shelly in private for a few minutes? It will not take long, but I am interested in trying to get to know them better."

Surely there isn't anything you could say to them that you can't say with me here. I say smiling. Slowly it fades as I realize I'm balking at this.

Odd. I have no trouble putting myself at risk with these two but am I unwilling to put my friends in danger? It's not that I don't trust Sian and Glinda so why am I suddenly so concerned? Is it that I care more about my friends safety, or am I concerned there is something they want to hide from me? Something they don't trust me with? I glance at Glinda for some sign.

Very well. I say begrudgingly. I was hoping this could be an open forum but clearly there is something you wish to keep from me. I will leave my precious friends in your care. I will be in my lab. When you are done I'll show it to you.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2154 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda comes over to you and takes your hand. "I will come with you, Isla. This conversation is not for me, either, apparently." She lifts your hand to her lips then lets it down while still holding onto it. "They will not be long enough for us to do much in the lab. Perhaps a walk?"

I shrug. Sure, why not.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2209 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda remains at your side as you walk. Her attempts at conversation seem to fall a bit flat and it is apparent that she is....................concerned about something. Finally, she takes your arm and turns to you. "May I ask you something personal?" Without waiting, she continues. "Where do you see this going?"

I try not to have specific plans but the goal is to carve out our little niches of barrens and make them better places to live and establish a way for that to live on after us ultimately. Why do you ask?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2210 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda nods. "That is a nice goal, Isla. I hope that we can make it work." She pauses momentarily. "Sian says that all is good and that we may return at any time. She says to tell you that there is not too much blood on your carpet."

I stare blankly at Glinda. If that was supposed to be a joke it's not very funny.

I head back to my apartment.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2211 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda shakes her head. "I think it is a reference to Corbin and Shelly not staking her. She would not harm your friends unless there was no other way, and she would have plenty of ways to get away from here if she needed to. There is nothing to worry about."

Indeed, when you get back to your suite, you find everyone sitting where you left them, although both of your friends look a bit shell shocked and Shelly mouths a soundless "What the fuck" as you walk in. Sian, looks your way and smiles. "I think we will get along fine, once the shock wears off. They have some questions about vampires that I am sure they want very much to ask you after I have left. Overall, this will be good, as long as we work together to get past certain prejudices."

Both Corbin and Shelly nod and they do indeed look like they have some questions. Sian adds, "Now that this is out of the way, what do we need to hammer out now?"

You broke it to them already? I still don't know why you wanted me out of here for that.

I don't think there's anything else to hammer out. You guys have any questions for her specifically?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2213 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Sian looks at you and smiles. "Yes, I did. I hope that is alright. I think that they have questions for you, though." Both Corbin and Shelly nod their heads.

The elder vampire stands up. "I like your friends and I like your ideas. I am sure that we will make this work. Let me know when you want to get together for this circle or to just practice."

You'll have to bring the puppies next time. I'll show you my lab, give you an idea of what the grander scale will be like once you are ready to move forward with that, I say escorting her out.

After she leaves I address my friends. I hated keeping this secret from you over the last few days. I hope you understand it wasn't my secret to tell. You have questions for me?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2215 Isla's Apartment Seattle

"Yes, I will bring them next time. They do tend to attract attention and I will have to consider a way to deal with that issue. Thank you so much for asking me here. Come see me when you have a chance."

When you get back to your suite, it is obvious that there is a bit of a strain between Glinda and the others. She is standing near the window, looking out at the sprawl in the night while Corbin and Shelly are sitting on the couch. Shelly is the first to speak. "Holy fucking drek, Lizzie. A vampire? And not one, but two? Didn't we have enough of these diseased pseudo undead already? And we.....we....holy fuck, are we infected now, too?"

Glinda turns from the window and looks at you with sad eyes. "Perhaps I should leave for a while and let you three talk this out."

Shelly looks at you and licks her lips before opening her mouth and closing it without saying anything, giving you the chance to speak.

No Glinda, you should stay, I don't know all the answers and you may be able to give us more answers. Besides you are a roommate now. This is something that we should all be here for.. The answer is no Shelly. These two aren't from the magical virus. You'll have to ask Glinda more about that. I don't really understand it myself, I understand your reticence Shelly. But they are more like us that those monsters from our childhood. They aren't hunting us, They aren't turning us. They have been chased by communities who want to kill them just as we have.

We also have similar goal. Their project in chinatown and ours in here in Redmond. They care about people

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2215 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda nods from where she is at near the windows. "Lizzie is right, Shelly. I was made into what I am through a bite, but the process was a bit more complicated than simply getting a scratch or being bitten. I am nothing like the diseased creatures you are familiar with but am more like the vampires of legend and old trivids. I have no intention of turning you into a vampire and you cannot become like me through casual touching or having sex with me. I am a sorceress of some power, but even my magic is different from what is "normal" for you. It is very difficult to explain this, but I like it here and I like you three very much and am asking you to give me a chance to be your friend" She stops talking and looks anxiously at Corbin and Shelly.

Both of your friends remain silent for a couple of minutes then Corbin nudges Shelly. "Hey, Shel, look at it like this; we would already be dead if she wanted to harm us. I think it is sort of neat to have had sex with someone over a thousand years old. I say we should give her a chance."

Glinda looks at Shelly. "I am not here to break you three up and will leave if the vote is not unanimous for me to remain."

At this point, Shelly looks over at you. "Are you really OK with this, Isla?"

I am...Granted I trust Glinda more because I know her better and Sian seems to have a different understanding of social behavior, but I do trust her and Glinda trusts her so that makes me trust her that much more. Shelly, they are people living in a hostile world. Most anyone would rather kill them than talk to them. They are constantly hiding and living in fear of this sort of retribution. Does that remind you of anything?

We haven't trusted many people since then and I haven't felt a kinship like I have with these tow since we lost our brothers and sisters. I see kindred spirits, not monster.

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2216 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly's eyes widen and she sits back in the chair. After a moment she nods and rises, going to where Glinda is standing. "I am sorry, Glinda. I had not really thought of it in that way. Of course you can stay." She puts her arms around the vampire and kisses her.

Corbin looks at you then follows suit, but comes to you instead. He takes you into his arms and holds you close. "You certainly have way with words, dear sister." He then takes your face in his hands and begins to kiss you.

I kiss him back but cut it short. I don't want you guys to be convinced by my words. I just want you to keep an open mind about them and look for yourselves. I think you will probably come to a similar conclusion is all.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2217 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda and Shelly separate as well and Shelly looks over at you as Glinda goes back to looking out the window. Corbin asks, "So what do we do now?"

Well I to do a thing with Jess, and I really need to get some surveillance on this Alvin Corse guy. I could use your help on that Shelly, if you've got the time?

[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2218 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Shelly looks a bit relieved at the thought of doing something and nods. "You got it. What do you need me to do?"

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

I need to set up surveillance on a guy, we are going to use your drones to do so.

@Jess: You want to do that thing tonight? You want to meet up for the practice run?

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2218 Isla's Apartment Seattle

[ Spoiler ]

Shelly rubs her hands together. "Good. what is the address and who am I looking for?"

>>Lizzie [Jess]: Sure for the dry run, but he is away for the evening and I am not sure when he is supposed to return. Are you available now or when /where do you want to meet?<<

I swipe the file on Alvin to Shelly.

You think he'll be back tonight? The spirit goes away at dawn so it would need to choreograph again. If that's the case we should just wait till tomorrow .

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2219 Isla's Apartment Seattle

>>Lizzie [Jess]: Might be best, then. I do not know for sure when he will return. Sorry. Cannot plan for everything.<<

Shelly looks at the data and her eyes light up. "I can totally do this unless there is something you aren't telling me. When do you want this done?"

Right now looks good. Anyone else want to come? Stake outs can be boring.

I summon a water spirit and will have it watch the other house while we are on site as well.
summon force 4 resist drain (http://orokos.com/roll/484616): 10d6t5 5 4d6t5 3 10d6t5 3
[ Spoiler ]

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2220 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Corbin gets a look on his face and offers to come along, but Glinda hesitates for a moment before declining. "Thank you for the invitation, but I think I will take a pass on this one. I might go out for a bit later and will let you know where so maybe we can all meet up."

Shelly gives her an odd look but quickly turns to you. "Let me get some of the boys and I will be right back." She moves off quickly to her room.

If you want to join us later Glinda let us know and we'll send the location and we can meet you later if not.

We wait for Shelly to grab her spy drones and head out. Once there I send the spirit to the other house and we ride around until we find a stuffer shack or some place to chill for a bit while we watch the goings on on our AR displays.

Since Glinda isn't here you guys have any questions about all this you want to ask that you didn't want to ask in front of her? I know things may be a bit weird for a while and that's okay, but feel free to talk to me.
Imladir

Wednesday 12 June 2075 2400 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Corbin gives a smile. "I think that is why she did not come along. To give us time to talk. Personally, I do not know what to think. First of all, are they just really crazy women or do you thing they are telling the truth about being older than dirt and being, well, you know?"

Shelly shivers a bit although the 'Shack is warm enough. "Frag, Lizzie, what have we got involved with? I....I.....liked Glinda and thought that she would be a ton of fun to have around. But that Sian scares the piss out of me and maybe Glinda does, too, now."

I put my arm around Shelly to warm and comfort her. Yeah they are what they say and yeah, Sian has hellhounds as pets and I don't think she quite understands people that well, but look at what they are trying to accomplish. You should come to Chinatown and see what Sian's already accomplished. The people there are scared shitless of her but she remains devoted to their wellbeing. Glinda hasn't changed, she's the same person we've known this whole time and has grown on us. They told us a secret that makes them vulnerable yet Glinda's main concern is that WE feel comfortable with her.

Don't get me wrong guys, your feelings are valid and they are dangerous people, but really look into your heart and I think you'll see they are kindred spirits as well and they want to be our friends. Besides, we are pretty dangerous ourselves.

I'm not sure about their age, seems strange what with the virus being awakened but then again there are dragons and elves "supposedly" from before. I don't see any reason not to believe them but I don't know that I'd put a significant amount of money on it. Until I find otherwise I'm going to assume what Glinda showed me was true. I give Shelly a squeeze.

Keep talking, if you have questions or just want to say something. I want to hear what you guys think for real don't hold back on me.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0002 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Shelly smiles but her heart is not completely in it. "So, fangs and stakes and drinking blood? All of that stuff? But we have been with her in the daylight, right? So how come she didn't explode or catch on fire or crumble into dust like in the trids?"

I glance around casually, to make sure we aren't drawing any attention. Haven't seen the fangs, have seen the blood drinking though just a small amount. Apparently sunlight isn't a big deal, but holy symbols do have some power. Don't know about garlic but she can swim. Anything else about that you will probably have to ask her. I don't think she will have a problem answering your questions about that. She probably hopes you will be comfortable enough to do so.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0003 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Shelly nods but does not look entirely convinced. Corbin has apparently been watching the screen on his 'link and speaks up. "Say, sorry to interrupt the chatter but just what sort of care does this guy drive? Someone just pulled up to the house."

Indeed, a sedan is stopping in the driveway of the house and a man is getting out. Shelly gives some commands and the shot zooms in on Corse's face as he shuts the car door and walks to the house. Corbin looks up at you. "Is that the guy?"

Looks like him. Shelly can you get inside to watch what he's doing?

Thursday 13 June 2075 0004 Stuffer Shack Seattle

"Absolutely. I can just send one of my boys flying in right behind him."

The feed on the drone closes in on Corse and follows him into the house. He puts his keys down on a counter and stretches before going off to the kitchen and grabbing what might be a can of beer from the fridge. You can hear a soft beat from somewhere in the house. He stands in the kitchen, looking out of his window and drinking from the can then he shrugs and walks through the house to a door that open on some stairs going down. At this point, what was a soft rhythmic beat becomes much louder and you can tell that it is loud music playing from below.

Corse heads downstairs and accesses a panel in the wall then putting his eye to a small receptacle while putting his palm against a screen. The door pops open and he passes between two men carrying SMG on shoulder straps to enter the basement. The center of the room is set up with a couple of couches and some chairs set up around a large coffee table. Several men armed like the two at the door rise when he enters the room and nod to him. One motions the others to sit and says, "Hey, Boss, what's the word on this shipment?"

The drone scans the room at Shelly's direction and you see that the walls are lined with cages and that each cage contains one or more young girls. The total count is near fifty. Shelly and Corbin both go pale and Shelly gasps, "Frag. Lizzie, is this what I think it is?"

Sonuva bitch. How did I miss this on my astral recon this morning. An intense anger rises in me as I flash back to my time spent in such cages. I whisper more to myself than anything, Oh, I am going to enjoy destroying you, Mr. Corse. It's a pity you will get to keep your life after this though.

Okay, we can't rush into this. We can't kill this guy but we are going to dismantle this tout de suite. Let's keep watching.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0010 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Corse nods to the man who had addressed him then takes a walk over to some of the cages. "These will leave here on Saturday afternoon. As usual, we take a week off then start recruiting the next batch after that."

He points to a couple of the cages and shrugs. "I will miss some of them, but there will be others. And others." He turns to look at the man, who is likely the senior guard. "You boys doing alright?"

"Sure, Boss, no problems here. We'll have 'em all ready for the move to the delivery spot. You can count on us."

The slaver looks over to where a man appears through a door that had been closed. You can hear the sound of a toilet flushing as the man rubs his hands and smiles. "Anton, my very good friend. How are you?"

Corse replies, "I am well, Sabon." He motions to the ceiling. "You still got us covered here? We don't need anything leaking out."

The other man frowns and says, "Anton, that is not like you to doubt. No one looking will find anything out of the ordinary with the astral here. Have I ever let you down?"

Corse nods and smiles at the man then at the thugs before moving to leave the basement room. "Good, then. I will keep in touch."

He leaves the room and shuts the door behind him before climbing the stairs to the ground floor of the house. He smiles and looks happy as he heads off to what appears to be a bedroom.

So we are going to have to hit this shipment. Get faces of those girls I'll see about getting them ID'd.

@Jessica: Hey I have a paying gig if you guys want some action. That Corse guy, he's some kinda mobster and he's got a bunch of girls locked up in his basement. Think you can run the faces on these girls? See if they are anyone important or anything? Will probably need them extracted on Saturday. if you are interested.
Imladir

Thursday 13 June 2075 0015 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Shelly nods and starts moving the drone around. Several of the cells are crowded and it is hard to get a good picture. From what you can see, there is a wide mix of nationalities represented in the cages, but the majority seem to be Caucasian. All but six seem to be humans, the others being two Orks and four Elves. Shelly whispers, "I only had the one drone follow him in and it is now in the basement, which means I have no contact with the man"

>>Lizzie [Jessica]: Slavers, eh? I could get on board with that. You got details on where and when? I think we should meet.<<

Saturday afternoon, not sure where. I want to see who these girls are before we make any solid plans but we can meet up. Two things to keep in mind whatever the plan. Corse or whoever this guy is cannot be harmed...much and I cannot be seen. We have confirmed at least one magically active goon as well and he's fairly powerful he's able to hide an entire basement from the astral. See if Jezabel can get the location off one of their coms or something.

See if you can find another way inside for another drone...how many did you bring?

Thursday 13 June 2075 0016 Stuffer Shack Seattle

>>Lizzie [Jessica]: Sounds interesting. I might do this pro bono, but you mentioned a paying gig. And when/where do you want to meet before we move? Are you bringing that scary friend of yours?<<

Shelly is looking a bit pale and has a frustrated look on her face. "Sorry, Lizzie, I only sent one drone in and should have sent two. I really did not expect this sort of thing. I have three more and they are roaming the house, looking for an entry point, but he has the place sealed up pretty tight. I imagine that the house is sound proofed so no one from outside could hear the girls scream for help. I am still looking, though. No one is good enough to seal everything and I will get in. Maybe one of the roof vents. I am going to jump in, so watch my body, eh?"

As Shelly goes limp in the booth, Corbin puts an affectionate arm about her. He turns a worried face to you. "So, what is our move, Lizzie? This is some serious drek. Do we call the KE guys?"

No one saw this coming Shelly, don't blame yourself we will do what we can. I'm going to put the J's on this, and maybe Glinda, to save the girls, but I need more info on Corse for my task., so we have to keep this on the DL.

[ Spoiler ]

Thursday 13 June 2075 0017 Stuffer Shack Seattle

>>Lizzie [Jessica]: OK. Come up with a meet place and time. I hate going in without some sort of plan and we still have a couple of days for planning, right? I have sent the load of pic you attached to Jezabel and she is working on them. I will let you know what she finds. Should I get some of my guys ready or do you already have some firepower?<<

Shelly is practically comatose and in her own world; one she has told you many times is soooooo much more interesting than the meat world.

>>Lizzie [Summer]: Hey, getting ready to cash in part of that credstick. This guy is a piece of work. And I mean that in the strictest sense. He is nowhere before three years ago. Everything public about him is false, a complete fabrication from start to finish. Not one shred of truth to it. This is all very artfully done, too. Very nice work. What have you got me looking at?<<

[ Spoiler ]

@ Jessica: We are doing the recon now. I count 6 guys and the mage so far but we may have more intel soon. You should prep a team and I can probably make Glinda available to you, if you want. Maybe working with her some might help you get to know her and alleviate some of the tension. We can plan on a tentative meet at Pulse around 2200 hours tomorrow. I'll confirm with you once I have more solid info.

@Summer: Oh yeah this guy seems to be a real piece of work. I hope you've found some actual information on the guy besides the cover story stuff. I'm not sure you want to know more than what you do. We can talk in depth more once I see what you have and if you are interested in further work.

I drum my fingers on the table watching my friends and laying the groundwork for planning the con. The hit may end up being my way into the Corse's good graces but the con cannot start until the true nature of the subject is known. The first layer of the onion is peeling back, what delicious fruit will he offer up from the dull packaging in which he was wrapped?

Thursday 13 June 2075 0019 Stuffer Shack Seattle

>>Lizzie [Jessica]: Hey, Jezabel got a few hits off of some facial recog stuff. So far she has identified four of the women as housewives that have been reported as missing over the past three weeks. Still working on the others. 2200 tomorrow is OK. I will do my best to get along with Glinda.<<

>>Lizzie [Summer]: Nothing on him yet, but I think the info package is corp level stuff. Good quality, too. Just not good enough. It all unravels once you know the thread to pull. But the real guy is still a mystery. Back to you later.<<

Corbin watches you tap your fingers. "Hey, Lizzie, I know you too well. You always do that finger thing when you are thinking hard. What is going on?"

Just looking at the angles and wondering just how far this rabbit hole goes. I like mysteries and I'm finding so many recently. I can't keep up with them all.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0022 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Suddenly, your 'link squawks at you and you are getting a feed from inside the house. Corse has apparently gone to bed and is sound asleep. Laying on the bed next to him is a naked woman with her arms extended above her and handcuffed to the head of the bed. There is bruising on her sides and her face and it appears that she has been crying. Corbin whispers. "Fragging drek, Lizzie. You seeing this? This guy has got to die."

>>Lizzie [Shelly]: Hey, I got this when I got inside. Sort of glad I was not there to see all of what I am sure happened to this woman. Hey, I think I know her. Some staffer for the Mayor or something like that. Check the back press stories from a couple of months ago. Simmons......no, but something like that.<<

@Shelly and Corbin: See loves, this is a real monster. This man chooses to be what he is. We can't kill him unfortunately, but that just means we have to be creative when we come up with his punishment.

We are probably done here for now. Can you two keep track of the goings on here? Shelly you can get some rest while Corbin watches and then he can wake you when Alvin or Anton or whoever this guy is wakes up so you can track him through the day?
Imladir

Thursday 13 June 2075 0024 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Shelly's body twitches as she comes back to it. Her face is paler than it normally is after jumping into one of her drones. She shakes her head. "Frag, Lizzie. That man IS a monster. And so are all those sick bastards with him. What have we got into with this? And who is this guy?"

Corbin is frowning as he subs Shelly's shoulders. "So, Lizzie, why do we need to let this guy live? He certainly deserves something of what he has done to these women. And from what I heard, this is not his first or last group of women. Why can't we get the.....the Js or whoever they are, to help us. Or Glinda? I am sure that she would want to help."

I've already contacted the J's to save these girls. Corse or whoever he is was chosen by my mentor spirit to serve her. I have to leave him alive but she wasn't concerned with his condition otherwise. I have to find out his secrets and leave him alive, so that's what we are doing. I don't mind ruining the fellow and making his life a living hell though. He doesn't need a penis to live after all.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0025 Stuffer Shack Seattle

Your friends nod as they rise, Shelly having recovered from her jump. Corbin looks at you as the three of you leave the 'Shack. "So, back to the apartment or are you going off somewhere else?"

Looks like it's going to be a night in. I need to spend some time with Jill's presents and need to finish up one more batch to have a decent supply on hand.

Once at home I will busy myself bonding one of my health foci.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0330 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Once you get to the house, Corbin and Shelly go off to her room for a bit while you are working on bonding your focus. By the time you finish and head off to the lab, you hear the sounds of two people having sex coming from her room. You try to place your focus all on the drugs after that, but some of the faces of the imprisoned women keep coming to your mind. You are about half way through the batch when the door opens and Glinda comes in, dressed to help. "Hello, you. Want some help?" She starts in without waiting for an answer, reducing your work time by quite a bit.

When the work is done, she looks at you as you remove your gear. "So, shower and bed, or do you wish to be alone tonight?"

I suppose I could be convinced. I'm not really in the mood to play though. I explain why detailing the events at the Corse house. Speaking of which, I'd like you to work with the J's on this, if you don't mind coming along for the meet tomorrow. I don't want to sleep alone, but I don't find rape and human trafficking to be all that...stimulating, then again I could sure use a distraction.

[ Spoiler ]

Glinda removes her clothes as she listens to your story, then takes your hand and walks with you to your room and the shower there. You finish talking about the time that she finishes washing you down. Something about her touch seems to relieve your stress and calm your nerves. Once dry, she goes to sit on the edge of your bed and pats beside her. "So tell me why this man needs to live and do you need to keep the others alive as well?"

Mmm. That feels nice. I say. My mentor spirit has tasked me with this. I am to learn his secrets but leave him alive, though I may toy with him as I please. I've found she has good reasons for these kinds of strictures and I'm not about to second guess her just because I empathize too easily with women in cages. I can't let that cloud my judgement, at least until the end game.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0400 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda moves to kneel on the bed behind you and begins massaging your shoulders. "You have some knots here. Do you mind if I work on them while we talk? I once trained as a masseuse. I was living in Venice, back in the mid 1400s and this was a useful skill to have at the time. I have put it to use a number of times since. I can still remember having the Doge on a table and under my hands. He was pleased with my skill and I hope that you will be, too."

Her hands are like magic to your muscles as she kneads and pulls. She asks you to lie down on the bed so she can get more of you. "I can understand why you need this guy alive and far be it from me to advise going against your mentor. Some day, you will have to talk to me of her. You mentioned empathizing with women in cages. Is that something that is too hurtful to discuss or............................?"

I moan under the magic of her fingers and continue, Seductress and the cages are basically the same story. I told you how the three of us escaped from ghouls but we are just the three that survived. There were 10 to start but only 5 of us when we were captured. They locked us in cages, like the ones in Corse's home. They used cattle prods on us when the crying got too loud for them. I watched friends and strangers butchered in front of us. It was my turn when Seductress saved us. She helped me tap into my magic just in time...sort of. I lost my arm before I could stop them, but I stopped them from hurting anyone ever again. Those feeling get stirred up easily, all that hate and fear and hopelessness. I can't help but empathize with those women. I'm sure Seductress is trying to teach me something about myself, but these lessons are never fun.
Imladir

Thursday 13 June 2075 0402 Isla's Apartment Seattle

The hands move from your shoulders down your back, finding kinks and sore spots nearly everywhere. The process is not without a bit of pain as she moves from place to place, but she leaves a good feeling behind as the hands go to the next spot. "It sounds like you had a very bad time of it, Isla. I am sorry that you and others had to suffer like that. I wonder if the ghouls had much of a choice? After all, it is hardly likely that they asked for that condition. They could have been upstanding citizens before they were turned. I am very aware of what a hunger like they must have had will do to one. I was very much like that for several years; until I could get the hunger under control. I killed indiscriminately, taking many innocent lives in the process. There was really very little recourse, you see. The hunger was survival. I would have died without feeding off of the blood of others. It is sad but quite true. Fate must have a plan for you to have been saved like that. I am glad that you were saved, but it does point out one of the ironies of life......in a different age, you would have been trying to kill me."

Her hands move across your ass and start on your legs and the pleasure is just almost indescribable. "Still, you have not said whether or not the others need to live as well.".

Perhaps if I had met you as you were I would have killed you. This wasn't survival though this was revelry in death and misery. They turned people to swell their numbers and kept people in cages like animals. They hunted us for sport. You at least have the decency to feel remorse for your killing and well...frankly some people need killing.

Speaking of, Corse is the only one I need alive I don't care about the rest of them. They might be a good source of intel on the inner working of this group. Taking a captive or two could be rewarding. Oh, that's the spot! I cry as the sore muscles quiver under Glinda's care.

Thursday 13 June 2075 0415 Isla's Apartment Seattle

Glinda remains quiet as she continues the massage, working out the stiffness and tension in your muscles. Just as she has you almost asleep, she lays down next to you on the bed and puts an arm around you as if to protect you from something or maybe everything. You actually feel warm and safe, truly safe, for the first time in a long time. You hear her murmuring words in a strange tongue as you drift off to a dreamless and restful sleep.

When I wake I move so as not to upset Glinda sleep and go to start coffee. I activate my new magical artifict and thrown on my cloak. After drinking a cup of coffee I ad reagents a cup of coffee and some choice drugs on the altar as sacrifices. I begin meditating on the altar looking for a gateway in to the metaplanes to begin my journey of initiation.

Thursday 13 June 2075 1015 Isla's Apartment Seattle

What little you truly know about initiation is barely enough to get you started, but you feel more ready right now than any time earlier. The sleep you have had was the most restful that you can remember and the massage has left you feeling ready for the journey into the unknown that you are about to undertake. Closing your eyes you let yourself slide into a meditative state, not really knowing what to expect. The smell of the coffee on the altar, the feel of the cloak on your body, and the sounds of life outside in the streets are all links to your present.......................until they are not. The smell of dirt and trees replaces the coffee; a light breeze on your skin lets you know that you are unclothed; and the rustling of leaves above you and the tinkling of moving water replace the sounds of the street. Opening your eyes you see that you are sitting naked in a small glen in a woods. From where you are sitting, there is grass stretching out for perhaps thirty feet to your sides and front. The glen seems surrounded by trees of some sort of broadleaf variety. A narrow creek runs across the glen in front of you, coming from the trees to your left and disappearing into the trees to your right.

Looking around, you see that the glen also extends behind you, but there is a difference. There are two paths leading from the rear of the glen. The one on the right is perhaps five feet wide and moves in a fairly straight line from the glen. The trees are neat and orderly, the ground covered in the same grass you are sitting on, and the way is open to the sky. The path on the left is narrower and you can only see a few feet in due to the crowding of the overhanging trees and you can see vines and roots breaking the surface of the earth. The air shimmers in front of each path and a woman two women appear.

The woman on the right is as naked as you are and her stance and appearance make you desire her. "I am the servant of your Mistress, she who should be desired, and I am here to guide you on your journey. The way is clear for those who seek knowledge of magic and power over others."

The other woman is Sian, or at least it looks very much like her. She is dressed in clothing that you do not recognize. "I am a servant of Power itself and I am here to guide you on your journey. The path is far from clear to those who seek knowledge of themselves first and magic after. You must choose your path, Isla, for you can only take one at this time."

The other woman laughs. "You do not need to go down that path and your Mistress does not desire you to do so. Remember who you owe."

Sian nods and looks at you with a bit of sadness. "You can break the chains and the soft words that bind you and seek a different way, but it is ultimately your choice which path you choose. Such choices are not meant to be easy and there is a price to pay for either path you choose."

"Quiet, demon. You have had your say." The woman turns to you. "Yes, there is a price to pay. Should you choose the path not offered by your Mistress and follow this demon, you may put yourself beyond where you can be saved. Is what she offers enough that you would risk the displeasure of your Mistress?"

The naked woman moves her head to look behind you and you feel a presence there. Turning you see nothing more than a slight swirl of leaves where the breeze is playing, but you hear a soft voice. "Isla, I am with you when no one else can be. For you, I could defy my own mistress, though it means my doom. Our meeting in that club was never coincidental. I was searching for you because I could feel your presence. I am holding you now to protect you on whichever path you choose. Look into your heart when you despair and find me there."

Neither of the women at the paths seem to hear the voice and the seductress shrugs her shoulders as if she had thought she had seen something. "Come, you must choose. And be cautious who you displease."

Sian nods. "I am not here to convince you which path to take, only to guide you if you choose this path."

I listen to them in turn and ponder their words for a short time. I believe the path I must choose is obvious and it is clearly the only one my mentor would have me choose. Thank you both for your counsel.

I approach the two and nod to the naked woman then turn to Sian. I will accept your guidance on this path less traveled[./color] I say to her.

This is clearly the only choice. Everything in me screams towards this path and your words have convinced me it is the correct one. My mistress knows the desires of my heart nor would her servants use threats and bluster. I desire power. I desire knowledge. I desire a challenge. I languished in complacency for too long and it was my mistress who moved me to seek more. The wide easy path is an illusion. This is the only choice there is. I step toward Sian and the dark path.

Thursday 13 June 2075 1015 You have No Idea Where

The naked woman changes her expression. "No! This was supposed to be easy. This path is no illusion and will take you further towards your goal. No, plea.........."

The woman jerks and falls to the ground, writhing in some agony before disappearing. A new form appears in her place, beautiful and seductive, an ebony skinned beauty with dark wings flaring out behind her. Her lips are as crimson as her eyes. Her naked form is tantalizing and its very presence beckons to a part of you that wants so lose yourself in her arms. Her voice is silk as she speaks. "I, too, am a servant of your Mistress. You have chosen your path, but I am here to offer you an alternative." She raises a beautiful hand and points it at Sian. This demon will lead you astray. She is not beauty and sensuality, not pleasure and enticement. She embodies those things best left in the dark, in the farthest recesses of any realm. She will lead you into the darkest corners of your mind and to places forbidden, to see things that should never be seen, things that will rob you of yourself, and perhaps even end your existence. I strongly urge you to reconsider your choice. Our Mistress strongly requests that you reconsider your choice."

Sian says nothing to the new woman, instead holding out a hand to you. The look in her eyes is.......different. Certainly you already know that she is not the fifteen year old girl her body portrays, but in this place and at this time, you can see that she is indeed different. And something about that is alluring and sings to your soul. But still, the choice is yours to make.

Your words ring hollow and this entire scenario feels wrong. I do not blindly follow a guide and I am the master of my fate. What proof do you have that you are indeed sent by the Seductress? Second guessing myself feels wrong. It will require some convincing.

Sian looks calm, but the succubus does not. She draws herself up and you can feel her seductive pull even through her anger. She opens her mouth to speak then closes it. With an effort, she gathers herself and calms down, laughing. "Your fate. Your fate is to occupy a special place at the side of our Mistress when you can prove that you are ready. Attraction leads to Seduction leads to Influence leads to Power over others. There is no illusion and the path here is clear because you have earned that much. There is no need to force yourself along a path of misery and woe. Seduction is not a hard path but it does lead to great influence and power. Come, you have the option of changing your choice so please do so."

Sian has not spoken again, nor has the presence behind you that neither of the others seems to have noticed yet.

I think not not. This is the path that has seduced me, I say pointing towards the tangled path. I find it hard to believe you are a servant of my mistress. I shall forge my own path.

I step onto the dark path nodding to Sian, though I do not take her hand. I will walk this path under my own power, but I will heed your advice. Shall we go?
Imladir

When you turn to Sian, you see that she has not moved. Her voice is soft, softer than you can remember hearing her before. "There are some rules even I must obey and one is that, as the succubus gave you an option to choose again, so must I. The path before you is dark and twisted and full of dangers. It is not a straight walk to the reward as the other path is. I believe you to be ready or I would not have made this option available to you. I must tell you that I am not a servant of your Mistress. I am a servant of true power."

"This path will amaze and confuse you, sometimes all at the same time. I am an adviser and a guide. You will make your own choices and I will not tell you what to do. Your decisions on this phase of your ultimate journey may have a true and real effect on you. I expect that you will find pieces of you; who YOU are and that they may lead to an awakening of something great and beautiful. The knowledge you find here might keep you in the hands of your mistress, but it may not. And future journeys will force you to decide whether to stay with her or to take a different path, one that can lead you to true power. The ability to influence men and women is great indeed, but is certainly transitory at best and wasted at the worst. True power is what defines existence, creates it, and molds it. It transcends anything you know right now and is impossible for me to describe.......you have to experience it to know it."

Sian pauses. "If you understand me, then you have this one last chance to change your option. The succubus is just around the corner and you have not taken an irretrievable step yet. It is your choice, dear Isla."

I highly doubt I will ever abandon my mistress, but forbidden fruit is the sweetest and I believe she understands and probably even foretold my choice here. My decision is made let us continue on.

Sian smiles and nods, motioning for you to proceed. The path varies in width from about five feet to a narrow two feet. The trees seem to form a wall and although you could leave the path at times, these breaks in the path look dark and very close. The ground beneath your feet is uneven, with many rocks, roots, and vines poking through the soil, making walking difficult. Sometimes you are forced to step over or around or under obstructions. The heat and humidity seems a bit oppressive, not at all like the quiet glen you had left behind. The way is not straight, taking many turns and you are no longer sure which direction you are traveling, although what does it matter since you are on a path, right?

Or is it? As you round one corner, you are faced with an intersection where you can go in one of two new directions. From the right, you think you hear some sort of noise, almost guttural in nature. The path in that direction seems a bit narrower, but is still traversible. There is no noise from the other way.

So what is it we are looking for. Does it matter which path we take? I say glancing down each path. I listen closely to the sounds trying to discern the language or animal.

Sian nods. "Of course it makes a difference. Life is a series of potentials and choices. At any decision point, you can choose from one or more options. The one you select becomes part of who you are and the others become part of who you might have been. Here you have two choices and must choose one of them. It appears that there is something down this path but no noise from the other. Are you curious or does it not matter? Ultimately, the choice is yours to make. If you have specific questions, ask them and I may be able to answer them. Generic questions will get generic answers. You can gain valuable insight from either sort of question, but that depends on how you interpret my answers."

As you listen to the noises from the right, you think you can make out a weak plea for help, perhaps a child? The guttural sounds strike a chord in your memory of ghouls dining on flesh.

I chuckle at the Sian thing. Yes, I know that much, I meant what are we looking for or what are we trying to accomplish here and how does this choice effect our goal.

When I hear the child cry and the ghouls I check for my spell and weapon focus, then turn to Sian. Can I summon spirits here? Does magic work normally?

[ Spoiler ]

Sian nods at your question. "One of the things I told you when you were considering your path options is that this one will let you find pieces of yourself so you can try to put them together. If you believe that part of you has anything to do with ghouls eating people then you might learn something by going that way. If not, then there is little to learn in that direction. Magic should work, but remember that I have told you that some magic is different and what you think you know of magic may be false here. And spirits walk this realm freely and might prove difficult to call or control."

I move quickly down the path becoming more and more cautious as I near the sounds. I peer ahead looking for an opening or glimpse of the scene ready to pounce if need be.

The sounds get louder as you approach what appears to be a corner. Peering around carefully, you see two ghouls sitting in the middle of a pile of bones in a small wide spot in the path. One is sucking the marrow from a broken leg bone in its hands and the other is gnawing bloody flesh from what looks like an arm. There are several humans chained to trees on the side of the clearing, three of them children. No one seems to notice you yet.

[ Spoiler ]

I watch for a moment and gather my wits checking to see what I have available to call upon. If they move to kill another person I will strike but for now I will wait for an opportunity.
Imladir

Right now the two ghouls are sitting almost with their backs to you and seem content to gnaw on what they have in their hands.

Checking about yourself, you find that you have your Foci. You had considered the summoning, but based on Sian's words had decided against trying it at this time.

I activate my foci and cast a spell upon the ghouls. I command them to stand up and bare their necks to me.

[ Spoiler ]

The ghouls jerkily stand up and stand still with their heads cocked over just a bit to show you their necks. From somewhere behind you, you hear the wind blow. "Do you want their blood, Isla? Do you want to taste it?"

Sian steps up next to you. "There is power in you, Isla. Just like there is power in everything. You can so far only see one form of magic. Would you like a hint of another form?"

Eww, no I do not want to taste their blood but I do want to spill it. I nod to Sian, Sure, show me this magic.

Sian nods. "It is dangerous and difficult to control for the uninitiated, but you have some experience with power already." She reaches out to touch your shoulder and you feel........................something. Something very different and not entirely pleasant as it roils a bit in the pit of your stomach, bringing a taste of bile to your throat. Everything but you and Sian seems to stop moving, and Sian steps slightly ahead of you and points to a small droplet of water hanging in the air in front of you. "This is a very small bit of power, Isla. It is not the power of your astral plane that you are used to. This is a bit of the power that exists in all things and can allow you to do much more than you have thought possible before. Very few people can see this power and even fewer can use it; to bend it to their needs. There is a great risk here, Isla. Some mages find the allure too great and become fail to understand the risk, eventually destroying themselves. But I think that you can control this. When you are more proficient, you will be able to draw the power to you but for now, simply reach out and touch this droplet and imagine what you want to happen to these unfortunate creatures. Be as precise as possible, Isla, as an unchecked spell can have more impact than you want. If you are ready, touch the power and feel its essence flow through you."

Disgusting creatures, I spit. I picture the ghouls begin to gnaw on each others bodies consuming their extremities starting with the fingers of one arm then proceeding to the shoulder. The horror of what they do begins to dawn on their faces but neither resists the other. Next it's the toes, feet and legs to the thigh of each leg and finally if there is any life left in them they dig out the others bowels. This image plays in my mind over and over and I reach out and grasp the droplet in my clenched fist and bend the power to make my will reality.

Sian takes her hand from your shoulder and you rejoin time. The people in the cages are mewling for mercy even as the ghouls remain locked in place. Thin blue streamers reach out from your clenched fist and touch the ghouls. They seem to wake from their trances and turn on each other with crazed howls, beginning to eat each other as you had desired. It takes a while but they kill each other before they get to the disemboweling part. Some of the captives are shrieking in fear and horror while others have passed out from the sight.

I move to free the people from their bondage and tell them they are safe now.

As you approach, those people still conscious flee to the rear of the cages, their eyes wide with fright. Sian comes up to stand near you. "So it is. Power that is obvious can be misinterpreted. Even though you have saved them from a gruesome death, most of these people are afraid of you. They fear the unknown and you are clearly an unknown. If you had used an ax or a club, they would be hailing you as their savior, but you used magic and they fear you. Remember what I said once about peasants and their pitchforks and torches."

"Now that you used a bit power and saw what it did by thinking of it, do you have any conclusions?"

Conclusions after a single experiment? Hardly. I'm not even sure I see it as being any different than what I was doing before other than it being a more obvious metaphor. I work to unlatch the cages and leave behind those I rescued once free from their bondage. I did not do this for their thanks after all.

So, where to next?
Imladir

Sian smiles. "Then you have missed an important point. No matter, there will be other opportunities."

She points to the path ahead of you and the one behind you. "You still have options, Isla. You may proceed out of this clearing in the direction you are traveling now, or you may return to the intersection behind you. Do you have any questions while we walk? There are some that I may not answer, but some that I may. "

Oh? What point did I miss? Let's continue down this path then.

Sian chuckles in that maddening way that all teachers seem to have. "If I told you, it would not be learned as well. You will have other opportunities to figure it out."

Leaving the small clearing, you quickly lose sight of it as the passage bends quickly away then back on itself in a seemingly endless and torturous manner. As you round one particularly narrow corner, you see that the path dips into the ground just ahead of you, leading into darkness. Sian touches your shoulder again. "The passage ahead of you is full of dangers, Isla. Those dangers are currently unseen. Do you wish to proceed?"

As opposed to what, standing here idly wondering what's ahead? If the dangers are unseen perhaps we should remain unseen as well. I cast invisibility on myself and proceed slowly careful of my footing and any noise I might make.

[ Spoiler ]

The invisibility works but there is something a bit oppressive about the atmosphere here and you actually take feel a bit woozy after casting the spell. As you descend into the darkness, you have to feel your way forward. The sides of the cave are not smooth, nor is the ground you are walking on and the width varies from several feet to barely enough to wiggle through. Likewise the height changes frequently with little notice and you bump your head a few times in the first hour or so. It is easy for your foot to comedown on a rock and send it moving, but that is about the only noise you make, besides breathing. After a while of making it through the shifting tunnel, your foot connects with yet another rock and sends it forward, but it only bounces once before the noise uncharacteristically stops and then you hear the rock bouncing from side to side against the walls of a pit ahead of you.

Ah so this is the unseen dangers. I will move even more slowly and gently feel for the edges of the pit.

Your fingers tell you that the pit stretches completely across the corridor and you have no idea how far the other side is. There is a voice from down in the pit. "Hello. Did someone just toss a rock down here? Can you help me?"

I attempt to judge the distance to the bottom from the voice. I suppose that depends on how far down you are. I don't have any rope or even a light.

You feel a touch on your shoulder and hear Sian's voice. "Remember that power is all around you if you choose to look for it and use it. Reach out and see if you can feel it." She releases you shoulder and the world returns to what it was.

The voice floats up from the pit. "I am glad that someone came along. I go lost and fell in this place."

To Sian, or the Sian doppelganger I say, So are there other ways to use this power. Can I use it to perform spells I do not know? Can I make things out of thin air?

How did you get yourself down there? What were you in this cave for? I ask the disembodied voice.
Imladir

Sian laughs softly. "Very good, Isla. That is one of the questions that you should be asking. Power is power and so, yes, it can be used to do anything you want. If you have the will and enough power, you can do literally anything you want. Of course, like anything else in life, it is baby steps first, so your spells will start out weak and will sometimes fail. But as you learn more, you will get much better. Much better. All you need to do is see the power and then grab it to force it to your will. But, of course, that is easier said than done. You are on this path to learn how to do just that."

There is a laugh from below. "I do not actually know how I got here. I was walking on a different path when I suddenly found myself in darkness. One step and here I am. Can you help me?"

So I have to see it first. Is it like peering into the astral? I say and attempt to astrally perceive and look around for the pools and droplets of power that I have only seen twice now.

"Yes and no, dear Isla. It is like peering into the Astral, but the place is different because the power I use is not associated with the Astral plane. To find it, you need to open a different eye, or at least look differently with the eyes that you have. I know that you have the potential to do this, but you have to want it very badly. It will be painful the first time, as you will expand your universe by an infinite amount and see into a place that you never knew existed. A place of wonder and majesty and power. You might find it difficult to go back and switching back and forth might confuse you and dilute your efforts. In the end, the choice is yours. Tell me if you want this and I will help you. That is what I am here for. I believe that this is why you are here. But it will hurt a great deal. I have warned you."

And what is the price of this power?

Sian smiles. "Another very good question. Ultimately, the price is everything you are, but that is at the far end of the spectrum and only the truly insane or power mad go that far. The use of the power is a bit addictive. Oh, not at first, but over the years it becomes more and more so. If you are very strong willed, you can resist the call to use it. There are those who are weak of will and try to reach for power that is beyond their ability and fall so deep into the need that they lose themselves. Is this a chance you are willing to take?"

Okay Let's do this. Show me how to see.

Sian puts her hands on your shoulders and places her head close to yours and you smell a faint odor of something odd. Not unpleasant, just odd. "The first time is the hardest. You have to see into a new realm, one that is not normally visible to even talented mages. The power of the Astral is easier to see and grasp onto and so most mages go that route and never even imagine the power that could be theirs. But the shield that protects this plane is hard to pierce the first time. It does get easier, I promise, and each time you do this it will be easier and hurt less. Just imagine trying to put your head through a hole with a diameter of two inches. Fortunately, the shield does give, but only to those will a will to succeed."

She puts her hands on the sides of your head with her thumbs over your eyes. "Focus, Isla. I will show you the pinprick of light that your will must make larger."

Your senses reach out and you can "see" a small dot of light just in front of you. "Do you see that? You must try to expand that. When you think it is about two inches in size nod and I will let go of your head. At that point, you will have to force your head through the hole. It will hurt a great deal."

I focus on the speck, then gather my will. I imagine picking my fingers through the hole and gently but firmly pull at the edges of the hole keeping a careful but constant pressure on the edge, ramping up the focus and concentration steadily.

Sian nods and lets go of your head. "That is good, Isla. Keep your eyes closed this first time. The transition from this place to that will be traumatic enough at first. Now you must push your head through the hole into the other plane. It is OK if you scream. I promise that it will all be easier as you do it more and more. At some point, the shield will recognize that you belong and will allow you an unchallenged entrance, but this time you are an intruder."

I peek through the hole at first. Then holding my down I begin to push it against the barriers willing the hole to stretch around my head until I can push my head in. I feel the resistance and finally as it gives it it covers my mouth and nose making my breathing labored and with a final push I give out a barbaric Yawp as a sort of scream as I poke my head the rest of the way through.
Imladir

When you get your head through, you feel water hitting your face as if it is raining. From next to you, Sian says "Open your eyes slowly, Isla. You have completed the hardest part."

As you open your eyes you notice two things right away; Sian sitting cross-legged in front of you and the water raining down on your head is a dark blue. "Alright. From here it is easy. All you need to do is wish yourself here and it will happen. Once you have penetrated the shield this much, it will accept you. Come on up."

As easy as thought, you are standing on what appears to be solid ground. There is a steady light rain of blue water falling on you and collecting in rivulets to flow off somewhere, although you do see a couple of small puddles here and there. Sian holds her hands out to the rain then motions for you to sit next to her. "We do not need to travel farther to get what you need." When you are seated, she continues. "These drops are power, Isla. The smaller the drop the less power. The small streams are concentrated power, as are the puddles. Each can provide you with the power for your spells. In this form it is simply here. You will need to grasp it and absorb the power if you wish to use it. You must be very careful in your selection, though. Not enough power and your spell will fail, but too much power is even worse, especially at your level of experience. It can be quite intoxicating and addictive and the power can take you if you are not careful. For a start, I do not want you to try to absorb any of the power, but you are going to learn how to see it so that you can. I am going to describe something to you and then tell you to do it."

"I am going to take you through the small steps first. Are you ready?"

I take a deep cleansing breath and nod at Sian. I'm ready. Let's begin.

Sian smiles at you. "As it is right now, you cannot really tell which drops are too small or to large so you will have to slow them down to a speed that allows you to select the correct one for your purpose." She gives a slight laugh at the expression on your face. "Do not fret, it is easier than it sounds. After all, power exists to be used and the plane will not resist your will too much if using the power is your intent. You will need a key word; one of your choosing and one that you will remember. This word is necessary but can be any word, real or nonsensical, so long as you use the same word every time. So, now I would like you to choose a word and focus your will to stopping the flow of the drops."

A word? Like just any word? Could it be "and" or does it need to be something I'm not going to say much? Can it be a made up word? Ooh, I know can it be shirak? I say smiling at Sian.

Sian smiles and puts a hand on your shoulder. "That word will do, yes. Now focus your will and stop the flow of time."

As you focus you see the drops slow then stop falling. "Good, Isla, good. Now you can select the drops you need for your desired spell. Let us practice with a light spell, so you can see into the pit. This is a very minor spell so you will only need a small drop of power. You get it by reaching out and grasping, just you did for the killing spell, earlier, remember? That spell was mostly me, but this time I want you to do the work. The power can be retained in your body for a short period of time, which means that if you know of a second spell you want to cast right away, you can take two drops and then use them one after the other. Do not let the power go too long unused because it will break out and do harm to you. Remember that power exists to be used, not stored. The law of using power does not apply to this plane, so you can store it and not use it right away."

"OK, reach out and grasp a small drop and squeeze it into your hand. That will allow you to absorb the power. This drop will do for your light spell, so go ahead."

Okay then, shirak, I say. I watch for a moment in mute surprise as the rain slows enough to watch the individual droplets slide by at a snails pace. I focus on the drop and reach out to grasp it. I will it to become a pearl of cool, incandescent light in my hand picturing the rays slipping through my fingers as if trying to hold a tiny sun.

As desired, light tries to escape from between your fingers and it shines brightly when you open your hand. "Very nice, Isla, very nicely done. On this plane there is no passage of time relative to the one you were on so the spell has not really started yet. The power that you put into it will fuel the spell for a number of minutes after you return. What else do you think might help you in your task to assist the unfortunate traveler? If you need two spells, you might as well get power for both while you are here. At your skill level, you will not be able to cast both spells at the same same time, so just grab and absorb the power and cast it after you get back and actually release the power in the light spell. You can absorb some bit of power and keep it for a short bit of time. The amount and how long will increase as you learn more. Right now you will be limited. So, think, what other sort of spell would be be of use?"

Some sort of levitation spell. I don't know it normally but if it is like the light spells then I should be able to get the woman out of the pit.

Sian chuckles. "Yes, levitation would be a good spell to have for this situation. Unfortunately, it is a bit beyond your capability just now. You could cast the spell, certainly, but the amount of weight that you could lift is far less than the woman is likely to weigh. Baby steps, Isla, baby steps. Remember, the spell that you used to kill the ghouls was mostly me showing you what is possible with enough power. No, let's consider something a bit more physical than a levitate, but similar in effect. I would recommend conjuring some sort of rope. And conjuring materials is a different sort of spell entirely than creating light. At your experience, you do not want to try to create large things because they will fall apart very quickly. Even minor creations will not last long. As you increase in experience, some smaller things can be permanent and you can make larger, temporary things, and so on. As it is, your rope will last a number of minutes, so you will need to plan your use wisely or risk the person you are helping falling again. Do you see what I am getting at? There are fewer rules than your normal Astral magics have, but then more rules in some ways. It can be confusing and only trial and error will show you the right way. But more and more practice equals gaining experience in the craft and that means that you will be able to use more power and more powerful spells."

"But I am here only to advise and teach, not command. Sometimes one learns the most by failing. Just remember that a life might hang in the balance. What do you desire to do? If it is the rope, you will need to absorb a bit more power than you did for the light spell, so choose a slightly larger drop of power. If you want to try something else, I will let you and we will see what happens."

Okay before I grab the power, how do I get back to where I was and how do I get to this place again in the future?
Imladir

"The getting back to the other plane is easy. As long as you do not move from where you came through you will go back to where you came from. Moving on this plane can be dangerous for someone not skilled in it, but it is yet another thing that is easier as you get stronger. To get here, you just force an opening like you did this time and you can do that from almost anywhere. For now, you can access all the power you need from wherever you come through. Once you get more used to things, ask me to guide you along the paths to where the greater power lies and I will be happy to take you there and show you more of the mysteries of this place. As for your second question, you can reach this place from anywhere on your plane. it will not be the exact same location that you are sitting in now, but it will be somewhere on the plane of power. Remember that for a while every time you come here will be painful and I must warn you that too many visits without spacing them apart can do odd things to your body. Please do not come here more than a couple of times a day once we leave your initial training. Come to see me if you think that you are ready to go more often so that I can evaluate your readiness. This restriction does not apply while you are on the path with me."

What is the mechanism for leaving here? Do I just wish myself back? Do I have to make another hole? When I want to return how do I form the pinhole that you created for me? Do I will it like the spell?

Sian nods. "Yes, it is just the reverse of how you got here. You can create the small hole this time, though. Just imagine it and then demand that the power open it for you. Once you can see the small hole, then you can return to the path. Again, it will hurt. The pain is a reminder that nothing worth while should come free or easy or without pain. It will make mastering it that much more satisfying. When you are ready, grab and absorb the power and return to the path."

Okay so that's fairly intuitive. shirak. I command time to slow again and reach for another droplet a bit larger than that last and focus on absorbing and containing the power. Once I feel like I have enough control to keep it from slipping away I focus on the hole in space. I demand that it widen for me and allow me to step forth into the "real" world. I step to the edge of the pit and look into it to see what manner of creature I might be saving.

Despite what Sian said, the pain does not seem any less this time than when you came through the other way. and your body feels like someone very large has been stomping all over you. Holding the light out over the edge of the pit, you can see a bit down to where a shadowy form stands just at the very edge of what you can see. The effect is to hide any features. You also see that the walls of the pit are covered with sharp spikes. The figure at the bottom of the pit holds up an arm and waves it at you. "Thanks for the........wow, look at those spikes. No wonder I got all cut up when I fell in. So, can you get me out?"

[ Spoiler ]

I suppose I can try. I envision the form being drawn towards me slowly but surely avoiding the jagged edges of the pits edges. I will make sure to have a good look at this...(person?) before I bring them fully to the top.

OOC:

I thought that you were going to create a rope to help lift the person up?

[ Spoiler ]

OOC:

No, the levitation was too difficult.

[ Spoiler ]
I envision the creation of a coil of rope. Holding one end I toss the other down to the pit I will make sure to have a good look at this...(person?) before I bring them fully to the top
Imladir

The rope appears as you wish it to and you drop it over the lip of the pit. "Hey, thanks. I don't weigh too much, so you should be able to hold my weight. I will need to be careful to avoid the spikes on the wall. Here I come?"

The rope goes taut in your hands and you feel it move as the person below you begins to climb out of the pit. Before long, the head and torso of a male Gnome appears in your light. He stops about eight feet below the lip to rest a bit and look for the best way up through the wall spikes. "OK. I think I got a path worked out. Coming up."

So what brings you to this place?

The gnome looks up at you as he contemplates the last couple of feet. "Good question, actually. There I was, just minding my own business when suddenly I find myself at the bottom of this pit. Not really sure it isn't some sort of nightmare." He gives you an eye. "Although being rescued by you puts it somewhat closer to a dream." He grunts a bit as he reaches the lip of the pit and pulls himself over. He sits on the ground for a couple of minutes to catch his breath. "So where are we and what are YOU doing here? Besides rescuing me, I mean?"

Well as I understand it we are on the metaplanes and I'm on an astral quest that has so far led me here. Of course now I'm not sure where to go, I say glancing about for Sian.

The gnome stands up and looks around. He nods in the direction that you came. "Since you are on this side of the pit, I would guess that you came from back that way so that must be the way out of here. Not sure what this astral quest thing you are talking about is, but I suppose that it does not include going back that way. You could use the roots here to support yourself and go past the pit. Provided that is, that you intend to go on. I do wish you the best of luck and thank you for rescuing me." He reaches into a small pouch at his belt and pulls out a golden coin that he hands to you. "Here. This is about all I have to offer as a reward. Good luck to you."

You are welcome, and thank you for the gift. As he leaves I look around and call out Sian?

"I am always with you, Isla. You but need to call and I will come to you. The gnome is correct that you should be able to use the vines on the wall to get past the pit. Please do not fall. "

How long will these objects I create with the droplets last?

"The light will last a while, as it is a created EFFECT. It is possible to take a larger drop of power and make it a stronger light from the beginning, but you can also go get another small drop of power and use it to extend the spell. You will know when the power is fading from the enchantment. The rope is a created THING, so it will not last nearly as long. You can use more power to extend its life, too, if you want. There is a finite limit of power that you are capable of using and or maintaining at one time, but that amount is personal to you and you will have to learn your own limits."

I toss the coin to the other side to free up my hands and gently tug on the vines to make sure they will hold my weight. Then I gingerly pick my way across the chasm using the vines to cross.
Imladir

As the coin hits the ground on the other side of the pit the air around where it fell begins to shimmer and an oval-shaped portal opens. The far side of the portal is dead black.

"This is a one time use one-way portal. You can focus on any place you have seen or been to and the portal will open there, allowing you to travel there instantly. I would be careful with it, though, as it only has one use. If you do not want to use it now, just pick the coin up. It was intended as a reward for having got this far."

The vines do indeed support your weight and you cross the gap in the ground and find yourself on the far side of the pit, standing near the portal.

Once on the other side I pick up the coin and continue into the cave. light held out in front of me, watching for any dangers along the path.

The light allows you to walk through the cave with much greater ease and confidence. Still, all good things come to an end and you get a tingle inside you that you at first do not understand, but it does happen at just the time that the light begins to sputter out. Coincidence?

I focus on forming the pinhole tear I saw before. My breath strains small beads of sweat form on my brow as I concentrate on this new task.

The effort to force the tear then the pain to go through it is just as you remembered, perhaps even a bit more painful, as the first time you did it. You find yourself in a very familiar place. There are enough minor differences in the terrain that you know that you are not in the exact same place, but you are definitely on the same plane, surrounded by the falling drops of power. Sian is sitting in a cross-legged position, waiting for you. "Well done, Isla. I had hoped that you would try this on your own. Tell me what you intend to do here."

I...intend to recreate my light...and maybe... some clothes for a... bit, I say panting from the exertion and pain. This is turning out to be quite the workout... I can probably skip the gym today. I beam over at Sian, clearly I'm just getting started.

"Very good. I will just watch this time, but I will step in if I think that you are trying to take too much power. After all, the idea is to teach you, not watch you die horribly."

shirak, I say watching the droplets slow to a crawl. I find a drop a little larger than the one I used last but not much larger and grasp it in my hand. I focus on the power and whisper for it to form into the heatless sun from the last time. Once accomplished I gather another and use the power to weave into being a simple skirt t-shirt and light jacket. I look to Sian for approval before willing myself to return and continue my journey.

Sian smiles. "Very good, Isla. Now, next time, I would like you to try to extend the spell rather than replace it. You can use power to extend the duration of your spell. The benefits to doing this is that it takes less power to extend than it does to start over. You can also use power to make minor changes, such as in the colors or style of the clothes you just made. Always remember that using less power is good, especially at your experience level. Too much association with the power can easily lead to a dependence on it, which can lead to an addiction."

After painfully returning to the path you are able to use your light to navigate through the rest of the tunnel, finally emerging once again into the light of day, although it does seem to be getting darker. Shortly after leaving the cavern, you come to a slightly wider spot in the path and Sian motions to you. "Not all paths are meant to end in a single day, Isla. We should consider finding a place to rest for the coming night. WOuld this be satisfactory or would you like to push on a bit longer?"

I didn't get much notice before it ended. I'll try to keep an eye on that. I ponder a moment, No, I think I'm fine. Have to get used to being fatigued from this stuff. Let's press on for a bit longer.
Imladir

Sian nods. "Yes, you need to be alert for the small signs. It should feel somewhat like a tiny tickle at first and it will grow stronger over a short period of time until it is something quite noticeable. But at that point, you have mere moments of spell power remaining. Paying attention will allow you to know when a spell is nearing its end and so allow you to strengthen or extend it if you desire to. You are missing a question, but I hope it comes to you in time."

She smiles at you when you decide to keep going. "Pushing the limits? That can be good or bad and only time will really tell. Very well, let us proceed onward."

The cavern continues on, twisting and turning so that it is hard to tell what direction you might be heading. The light certainly helps you avoid the rocks that jut out of the ground and would be trip hazards if you could not see them. Likewise you are able to avoid the occasional rock slicing down out of the ceiling that might have left a large cut or bruise. After a while of walking, you feel a very slight tingle inside you.

I consider the length of time that the light was active. Can I just periodically just feed it power? Can I just keep shoving power into the light to make it last longer and longer or will it explode or something?

I wouldn't call it pushing my limits. I think I'm far from my limits. It's just a little fatigue is all.

Sian nods. "Yes, you can add additional power to the spell to keep it going. The clothes as well. For the clothes, you can even make changes to them when you add power to maintain it longer. The type and scale of changes will depend on what you want to do. Please note that you are limited in how much power you can have active at a time, based on your experience in controlling it. You will have to find your limit on your own as it is not exactly the same for each person. But you must remember that turning power off before it is completely used can hurt you, so be careful if you decide to just try to cancel a spell that is in place."

Okay I'll try that in a bit. Let's get moving, I say heading further into the cave.

The cave just seems to go on for miles. You find that the light is extremely helpful. You begin to hear a faint sound, almost like music, echoing through the cave, getting louder as you advance.

I listen closely as I get closer. The louder it gets the more cautious my step become. I search my memories for any recognizable melodies while keeping attentive for the telltale tingle. I stop short. I guess now is as good time a to recharge as any. I concentrate on creating the pinpoint of light and squeeze over to the other plane.

I mop the sweat from my brow with my sleeve and call out, Okay Sian. I think you are going to need to talk me through how to channel it into an existing form. Is it basically the same thing as creating it?

The music seems to be a lively, fast paced string instrumental. You may have heard a similar piece but are not quite sure.

Sian is waiting for you when you come through the hole and smiles at you. "I promise that it does get better." Her face takes on a pensive mien and she puts a finger to her lip. "Unless, of course, it kills you first. But I would not worry about whether or not you are part of the ninety-eight percent that die from this. I have confidence in you."

She laughs at the look on your face then looks serious. "Yes, the failure rate is extremely high. Only a few are strong enough to live through the initiations. You can turn back at any time and return to your other mentor, although she might be a bit upset with you for choosing this path. Now, as to feeding more power into an existing spell. Yes, it is very much like initiating the spell, but with a twist. First of all, you have to be careful that you are not putting too much power into the spell, just like when you are creating it for the first time. The procedure is simple; you just carefully add more power to it. This must be done on the plane where the spell exists, so while you absorb the power here, you have to use it there."

At her encouraging nod, you slow the flow of the power drops and reach out to take one, feeling the now familiar warmth of the drop as you absorb it. Gritting your teeth, you force your way back to the cave and try to use the power you have just absorbed to reinforce one of your spells..........................and realize that you have no way to tell which spell you are reinforcing. Trying to mentally bring one up does not seem to work.

I think about it a moment and attempt to split the stream between both spells and try to charge both at once. You said I could do both is that not something that can happen? I was under the impression I could pursue both lines of inquiry. My mentor would disapprove? She never seemed the type to disapprove of curbing your desires.

Sian looks at you. "I am not sure if you are talking about both spells or both forms of magic. If spells, yes, you can reinforce both, but not in the manner you have cast them. At this point, the magic and the power are all combined in one pot, so to speak, and it would be impossible for you to tell them apart or dictate which gets how much reinforcement. At this point, you will have to wait until one spell fails then reinforce the remaining one and recast the other. There is, however, a way to help you in future spells. You can place the center of a spell at some part of your body. I would recommend that you choose something that would be easy to remember, like your hand for the light spell and one side of your torso for the clothing, that sort of thing. That way, you can choose which spell to reinforce. It takes a small bit of extra power to do it that way, but it is so much more convenient."

"But if you were referring to the different magics, we might have had a misunderstanding. It is indeed possible for you to cast both magics, but you will never do full justice to either if you do not focus. You may choose to be mediocre in both or be very good in one or the other. Your mentor does not approve of you taking this path and I thought that was rather plain from what happened at the entrance. If you desire, you now have the ability to return to the entrance and start again down the other path. I would not stop you, nor would that choice make me respect you any less. The path I am showing you is inherently much more dangerous than the other, especially if you desire to do additional initiations. Like I said, ninety-eight percent of those who start down this path fail and most of those failures end in death. I believe that you are strong enough to succeed, but I will not candy coat the risk to you."

"But the risk of death is not your only risk. Another is that your current mentor may drop you if you continue down this path on future initiations and forego her magic, something that is sure to bring you pain and discomfort. I would be her substitute, but you might feel that I would be a poor replacement. It comes down to your choice, Isla. If you wish, you may use the coin I gave you and return to the entrance, where you can mollify your mentor and take her path. You have had a taste of my magic and the power it can give you and maybe that is enough for you. I know it is not what you are used to and it might not be what you want. I would strongly suggest that you return to that path if you have any doubts about me or this magic. In any case, staying here is making a choice and sending her a message. Again, if you back out, I will not think less of you. I will be disappointed that another potential sorceress has left the path, but you will still be my friend and we can still work together. Which path do you prefer to continue on?"

Well I am tired and this is a big question. Perhaps camping for the time is what I should do and really think about this, while I'm resting.
Imladir

Sian nods and begins to move her arms in various patterns and the cave walls move away from you to form a wide spot on the path. A cozy fire appears, bringing warmth and light, along with two smallish tents. A closed picnic basket hamper sits just off to the side of the fire. When done, she turns to you. "Let us refresh ourselves with some food and drink then retire for a time. The choice in front of you is not an easy one."

Sian walks over to the hamper and begins removing food and utensils from it.

I sit down and relax a while watching Sian set out the makeshift picnic, pondering the choice before me. After what seems a far longer time to myself than apparently passes a conversation happens at the speed of thought. So what am I losing by exploring this path? At this point nothing really. I will have to mollify Seductress but likely I will need to regardless and I'm already working towards that. It's not like this isn't something she can't understand.

That being said do I really want to go down this path with so little information. Dipping my toe in to explore this power but focusing on the regular magic that I more fully understand is one way to go with it. Also spreading myself between them and not mastering either without succumbing to age long before or simply going full tilt into this new magic consequences be damned. The first is the safest, the second is the most interesting but unfulfilling and the third is insanity. Ah well it's not like I have to decide this second.

What is this? If I eat it do I have to stay here forever?

Sian actually snorts at your question and hands you what appears to be a plate containing some fried chicken and other sides, the aroma of which is more than enough to set your stomach to growling. "That is good, Isla. No, it is just food. I am not here to force you to stay or to make any particular choice. I am here to show you an alternative to what you already know how to do. it is something new and different and dangerous and it can fulfill your every desire and fantasy you ever had about becoming a wondrously powerful sorceress. This choice is clearly not for the weak of mind or spirit and you have to really want it if you are going to do well. I would never have dared to show you this path and open your eyes to the wonders of real power unless I thought you ready to learn and strong enough to survive what I will show you."

"You are not the first person I have brought on this trip and you will probably not be the last. Most of the others have died here and their bones litter this path or the plane of power. Some few, a very few, succeed and become powerful sorcerers. I believe that you have the potential to do that. And, because this is not my first rodeo here, I know some of the thoughts running through your head. I am sure that you are already contemplating trying to learn both magics and I can tell you that is possible. But it is not possible for a mortal to do both and do well at both because you simply do not have the span of life to do that. In any case, you do not have to decide this instant, so please enjoy the meal and then get some rest."

Hmm, soul food eh?

That's the gist of it I suppose, I say, then take a bite of chicken chewing thoughtfully. I may not be doing more than dipping my toes into this until I know more about it, but I am interested in knowing more about it. That will probably be more trial and error. Feel free to offer up any advice though.

I dig in a bit more vigorously and eat and rest leaning against the wall of the cavern.

Sian laughs. "My next bit of advice is a bit prosaic. I made you a nice tent with a cot and sleeping bag should you choose to use them. I am sure that you would find them more comfortable than the ground here. I know that I will." She stands and puts the picnic thinks back in the hamper and carries it over to her tent. She turns around to look at you. "I hope that you sleep well. I will see you in a bit."

With the ghouls earlier and sneaking my way through a tunnel I am too close to memories of my time hiding from them in the barrens. I use the sleeping bag but find a place to put my back in a corner and sleep sitting up ready to wake at the slightest sound.

you waken to something shaking your foot. Opening your eyes, you see that Sian is poking you with a stick she must have pulled from the cave wall. You see that she is kneeling in front of a small fire and can smell food cooking. Sian holds out a steaming mug of something. "Here, take this. Not the best, I admit, but good enough. Dress yourself and come over so we can talk and eat."

I start awake at the touch but quickly remember where I am. I stand up and stretch the stiffness out of my muscles from sitting up while sleeping and gratefully accept the warm mug. After a few moments of wakefulness and some caffeine I concentrate on punching a hole into the other plane and squeeze through.

Shirak, I say slowing the rain and focusing on a slightly larger droplet than last time. I will some clothes into existence and then repeat for a light source. I return and sit with Sian ready for another lesson.

The power feels very good as it courses through your system. Returning to the path, you cast your spells and now have clothes to wear and light to see by. Sian holds out a refilled mug to you and smiles. "Very nice, Ilsa, very nice indeed. You are coming along just fine. There is little more that I can teach you on this first time on the path, but we are not quite finished yet." She hands you a plate of food. "Here, eat something. It will make you feel better. While we eat, can you tell me what you have learned?"

I accept the mug gratefully and munch thoughtfully while I consider her words. Well these are supposed to teach us something about ourselves and magic. so as far as the magic goes I've learned quite a bit. how to access the other plane. Does it have a name by the way? How to control the magic there and use it to create things. Apparently it's easier to create things rather than channel the power into actual spells like levitate, though that is the only one I've tried. Also I learned how to tell when things begin to fade and how to refresh it.

As for myself, I think maybe I've known this all along, monsters are just peoples perceptions. Those people I saved saw me as much of a monster as the ghouls I saved them from. I do not see you or Glinda as monsters because I can identify with you and ghouls are monsters because of my perceptions of them. That's okay though, I'm fine being the monster. I don't help people because I want their adoration.
Imladir

Sian smiles again. "True power does not need a name. You know where it is and how to get to it and that is all there is to know. You have learned that you can access the plane and use the power there. The levitate spell is a bit advanced, but you should be able to use it before long, if you keep practicing and return to the path for more instruction. As for yourself, you have learned a valuable lesson. Yes, those people considered you as much a monster as the ghouls, but most of that is because they feared you because of the way you saved them. It is good to learn that people fear what they do not understand, even if it is helping them."

She finishes her food and puts the plate and silverware back in the hamper. "Do you have any last questions before I send you back to your plane?"

Are we not continuing? I thought there was more for me to see.

Sian cocks her head to one side and gives you a look before she nods her head. "Alright, if you want to go on. Yes, there is more to teach you, or at least more for you to learn about yourself. I will warn you, though, that the farther you go down this path, the more you will probably want to return to it. That would cause you problems with your current mentor, so choose wisely. You should stop here if you are uncertain and you should press on if you are ready to make that decision. As in almost everything, the choice is up to you."

My choice for now is to follow both paths. I realize that I will never master both but I may decide to specialize further down the road once I understand the difference between them.

Sian looks at you for a few seconds then nods her head. "It is your choice. I cannot hide that I had hoped you would choose differently. Still, it is what it is. Your destiny is always in your hands and you should never believe anything different." She waves her hand and the tents, hamper, and fire all disappear, leaving you with the light of your spell. Standing, she motions to the path. "After you."
Mercy

As you start out, you do think that you hear the music and, although it is faint at first, it gets louder as you walk forward. You do not recognize the tune, but it does make you feel happy and you find yourself walking a bit faster to get to it.

OOC:

Please use lighter or pastel colors when you write here. The dark ones look great on the white background, but I have trouble reading them against the grey background.
Ennui
OOC: I'm kinda rereading stuff remembering what I'm doing. I should have a post up soon
Mercy
Cool. I am patient.
Ennui
Resuming posts #1

I move quickly but still carefully. Tender feet on hard stone keeps me from moving too quickly and as I approach the music I begin to slow and move more cautiously, curious and hopeful but also ready for the worst. Knowing these are tests and lessons my mind thinks back and ponders what metaphors this may bring to the forefront of my psyche.
Mercy

The music gets a bit louder as you approach it. It seems to sing to you in a way, and you find yourself humming along to it, as if you have heard the tune a million times. As you make a turn in the path, you can see some light coming from around the next corner. The music beckons on and now you can hear voices. they are a bit faint but it seems like several people are having a good time.
Ennui
Post #2

With a jig in my step I glide to the corner and stealthily peek around, My heart full of expectation and hope but my gut sensing danger and horro. I do my best to be prepared for them both.
Mercy

As you poke your head around the corner, you see a group of about nine naked people engaged in an orgy, their bodies entwined with each other. Another five naked people are standing about, watching the action or talking among themselves while eating from a buffet table piled high with food and drink. The sense of lust and seduction is extremely difficult to ignore and part of you wants to join in the fun these people seem to be having.
Ennui
"Sian," I whisper. Normally joining in wouldn't be an issue but having read too many stories about mystical places and giving in to temptation causing people to trap themselves there, cautions me against it. "Are you there?

I've heard stories about sex and food being used to trap or compel people in the spirit or fae realms. Is that stuff legit here?"

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy

Sian steps up from behind you. "I am always here, but that place is not for me, it is for you. Your mistress has broken the rules and is tempting you to choose another path other than the one you are on. Still, it is not unexpected and at some point you would be tempted to return to her. I will not lie to you. What she offers you is seductive and pleasing and hard to resist, while what I offer is fraught with danger and a like early death. You would not be blamed for choosing her path, especially given your familiarity with it. Just as at the beginning, at the end you need to choose. You can dispel this and I can show you how, put doing so will put you on the outs with your mentor. Not all things in life are easy and this is one of those times. The alternative is to go in there and enjoy yourself and return to her favor."
Ennui
Post #4

"Ugh! Now it feels like an obligation." I ponder to myself and contemplate the situation for a moment. Just go in and enjoy myself you say?

With the affirmative from Sian, I nod and step into the room.

"Shirak!" I say and reach out into the portal willing it to become a bit larger so I can see. I focus on a drop of power slightly larger than the last time and I draw that power into me. I picture in my mind a raging inferno bursting forth and engulfing the room, focusing my rage I light up the tables of food along with the writhing mass of party-goers. As the power fades and the flames die down I repeat the process charring meat and bone. The strangely savory smell of cooked meat fills the air and oily black smoke obscures the ceiling. Once complete I let out a great sigh. "Well that was fun.

I'm sorry I broke your toys. I'm not a big fan of ultimatums, but I did as you asked. In my way. Are you happy now?"
I call into the air.
Mercy

The effort spent creating and passing through the portal seems much less than before. After you cast the spell and say your piece, the silence is deafening for a few seconds then Sian speaks. "Impressive, dear. Very impressive. You do have a talent for this. Would your choice have been different if those constructs had been alive?"
Ennui
Post #5

Eh. Probably. It's not like I kill for pleasure. I'll freely admit I'm a sociopath, but I'm not psychotic. Generally I want what's best for people unless that conflicts with me and my own. Sure I mostly see people as tools to be used but a good craftsman never abuses their tools. They love them and cherish them. Why do you ask?
Mercy

Sian chuckles as she shakes her head. "No special reason, Isla. Just curious. I am not here to judge, just to lead and give bits of training as I think they are needed. Now, before we go any further, I would like to ask you how it felt to use the power to channel your desire and what your impression of the differences in what you did and what you used to do?"
Ennui
Post #6

Using magic is always fun This power is kinda hitchy, I still don't really understand it but it seems to have a lot of utility and can pack quite a punch. Regular magic you have to know the spell before hand. I don't really know what other things your tradition can let me do, such as alchemy enchanting and summoning spirits. I guess we are done for today though, if it's just going to make my mentor pissy.
Mercy

Sian nods. "Yes, the power you are learning to harness is far more flexible than what you have studied in the past. There are forces that try to limit access to power and so put it in frameworks that require the trappings you have been taught. But now you know that power is available for the taking if you are strong enough to bend it to your will. But there is a great danger in this power and you should not reach for more than you can control or it will destroy you. As for your mentor, I would think that she will be pissy indeed, especially after that display."

"So are you ready to end the training session?"
Ennui
Post #7

It appears so. I don't want to completely alienate my mentor but neither am I willing to cede so easily to an ultimatum such as that. Really, it's rather insulting what she tempts me with. Will I still be able to call on this power once I'm back to my world or do I need to be further along the path?
Mercy

Sian smiles at you. "No, Isla, the power is always all around you to take and mold. What value would there be in training if you could not practice what you have learned here? Just remember that you are not yet able to do everything you will want to do with this power. Start small and stay small for now. You will expand your abilities over time."

She motions and an opening forms in the wall near you. "I have enjoyed this training. You have much potential and that will be needed in the future. I hope you feel you have learned something worthwhile."
Ennui
Post 8

I don't know if I'd say I enjoyed it but it wasn't so bad. I hope this new skill is useful. I guess we will see. I step through the portal after glancing around to see where it leads.
Mercy

The portal opens into darkness, but you can hear what sounds like the scurrying of small feet and there is an odor of oil and grease in the air.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012