Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Umbrae Europae [IC] (part 3) - Mist of Nycthemeron
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Jack_Spade
<<A mutual beneficial agreement is certainly in the cards - we are neither interested in making enemies nor do we want to cause undue problems.
So tell me, what exactly do you want... and don't just say the book. Most of its content is freely available through the matrix, so you must be interested in a particular section.
I mean, I could be persuaded to grant you a digital copy of the book. If you are interested in the lore therein that should be enough for you, right?
Give me a reason to trust your word on this and we might get somewhere...

But even if that's not enough because you need the real artifact for a nefarious ritual, you still stand a better chance of obtaining it after we deliver it - after all it will be out in circulation again instead of buried beneath a bunker in the SOX or turned to ashes because someone thought he could send camo units toward the bunker and thought we wouldn't notice.>>

The last part, Rex simply added to give the opposition something to think about: Either they had done exactly that or they were wondering who Rex was talking about and if another party had entered the game.

Haywire

"No problem Racer, let's make this fraggers eat our dust. However, how on Earth could this Professor know WHEN we would have come to get the book? I buy that he knew where it was, but we were very secretive about our movements and we used some time getting Racer fixed, so how did they know we would be here at this time? I fear somebody sold us. And we're gonna find out who, and tie up some loose ends..."
Waywalker was lost in his reasonings while the drone was moving towards the GMC Banshee with the precious book.
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

>>> ENTITY WAYWALKER. GIVEN WHEN YOU RETURN TO THIS PHYSICAL PLAN OF EXISTENCE AND GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF ... <<ACCESS IDIOMS DATABASE>> ... RED TAPE TO BE REMOVED TO ACCESS THE SOX WITH CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENTAL APPROVAL - PLUS GATHERING THE KIND OF FIRE POWER AND DEDICATED EQUIPMENT OUR OPPONENT APPEARS TO HAVE, I ESTIMATE A 97% CHANCE THAT OUR ARRIVAL AT THE SAME SITE IS COINCIDENTAL. SADLY IT APPEARS THE REPAIR YOU HAD TO HELP ME PERFORM COST YOUR TIME ADVANTAGE. <<ACCESS IDIOMS DATABASE>> I AM TRULY SORRY ABOUT THAT.

Even if Rex, or Waywalker would have like to reply to their AI partner, an incoming transmission from their opponent prevented them to do so:

"Digital? Do you to reproduce the book using fingers??? This will be gruesome... oh, pardon... What? Oh OK, you want to put the book into this little contraption? What an interesting idea! How quaint! Your world is fabulous for those who loves gadget, isn't it? Well, now, let me think... Despite your belief, I have no nefarious plan for the book. It was written at time where the mana was low, even absent of your world. While some nuggets of true magic may have made there way into it, I don't expect the original book to be either potent nor dangerous. Obviously, the main interest of this specific edition is that it is the unabridged, unedited one and the content of it might be ... more revealing."

The strange Fae took a short pause and continued:
"And, yes, as you mentioned, there appears to have extract of the book available on this thing you call the matrix. However I've been told by my kind sponsor that something called the "crashes" have wiped out a lot of information and the only one left are partial at best. Hum. Well, we certainly don't want the loss of even more knowledge, don't we? So, yes, I agree to your terms. We will stand on and accept a fingerized version of the book as you call it... What? Digital? That's what I say! Don't interrupt me uselessly, foot soldier!"
The comm shut down for an instant and then the voice came back:
"I've asked my "prone-to-brawl" commoner here with me to stand down. The knight next to me insist to point out that his troop will not get closer to your position, but will not retreat. This will have to do as a token of good faith. I apologize for this rude behavior, but the knights of your strange world appears obsessed by something called 'tactical advantages'. They deemed more relevant than honor and chivalry. What a rude behavior."
Haywire

"So, Racer, you say it's only bad luck? Given our circumstance I find that refreshing. Rex, if you intend to give them the book I'll wrap it up in a databomb so it destroys itself without the correct password. But the real question is: do we intend to give it to them?"
Jack_Spade
<<Frankly, I don't see why we shouldn't give them a copy. I have no desire to make mortal enemies. Our contract doesn't forbid us to make copies and by our Johnson's assertion, the book does not contain "dangerous" knowledge. As long as he gets the original he should be happy.
I wouldn't even bother with the data bomb - we'll just send them the data page by page. Everybody gets a win, nobody has to die.
If you remember, I already destroyed a few 100.000 nuyen worth of drones. Giving them some form of compensation can't hurt.>>

Rex replied and helped the small drone on it's last climb with his telekinesis. Once the book was inside his circle, he began to carefully examine the book and gave Racer time to use his inside cameras to create high definition photos.
Romain Pelisse
While Rex has agreed to the term of the weird Fae, he knew he could not made them wait too much, so as soon as a first few pages were properly uploaded to the matrix, he started sharing the file with the commlink they had provided. With noise of the SOX and the high quality resolution it was extremely slow to transfer - at least compare to their usual transfer rate. The book was not in an excellent shape and Waywalker had to be very carefully when turning the page. The rigger had to do it because obviously paws were not the perfect instrument and magic fingers could get clumsy...

"Ohhh, excellent, excellent! Amazing contraption that you have! Far more faster and efficient than a copy spell or, of course, a trained monk."

The bizarre opponent did not want to cut the communication and they kept hearing some little scream of excitement now and then. Uploading was a slow task, but they finally got through it, and send the last pages.

"Ah perfect! The book is now complete... What? Yes, yes, of course, my good lord, now you can terminate them. We don't need anymore. What? What do you mean "my line is still open"?"

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
<<I am a bit disapointed to hear that. Rest assured, the first man to come close dies... agonizingly. As will the second, the third and so on. Not to mention you won't get the page we left out. It's quite a beautiful map.
Ciao.>>

With that little barb send out, Rex took position to throw some lightning bolts at potential pursuers.

Haywire

"The data bomb could have been useful...however, let's make them regret this."
In an instant Waywalker was in VR in the Matrix and targeting the commlink, the focusing his attention on the data from the sensors to avoid being locked down.
"This should come as a lesson: do not piss us off."

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

The comm line, still open, let Waywalker hear that his plan worked like a charm...

"Wait, wait, where the book is going? What's happening!"

"Your line is still open, you moron! They heard you and now have deleted the file they give us..."

Suddenly, the merc voice turn into a guttural scream. Over it, Rex and Waywalker could still hear the voice of The Professor.

"You will pay me the respect I'm due, measly mortal."

[ Spoiler ]

Then, the line is finally cut. Racer had not wait to start maneuvering its away, but as soon as his large, metallic body clear the hill, Waywalker spot several missile being fired at them from the last functional ATV.

[ Spoiler ]

Thanks to Waywalker help, Racer dodges the first wave of guided missiles and disappeared into the radioactive fields of the SOX...

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Rex crumpled exhausted to the floor as the t-bird sped away: <<I stand corrected Waywalker. Damn, I really had hoped we could for once get out of the SOX without having to deal with getting betrayed. Oh well. I tell you what: The next thing I learn will be a radiation shield and a way to deal with background count. That whole operation nearly turned into a total snafu. Thank gods we have Racer on our side.

By the way: Racer thank you very much for your assistance. I hope you didn't mind the exitement, but you are doing really well as a shadow runner. If you don't mind we'll call on you again when we need a fast getaway.

Waywalker and I have to get back to Paris before those bastards can call for backup and waylay us. I want to be done with this cursed book sooner than later.>>

[ Spoiler ]
Haywire

"Goodbye, fraggers!"
Waywalker smiled as he helped Racer avoid the missiles and heard the Professor cursing.
"Maybe the SOX has really a bad influence other than the stories..." he shrugged, as one does when it's suddenly cold. "Racer, your help has been priceless. I'd be honored to pilot with you again. May our ways walk together next time. But I think it's safer if you drop us by my van so we can go more unnoticed. I too want nothing more to do with this damn book. Let's go to Paris and arrange a meet ASAP."
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

After days of playing cat and mouse around the border of the SOX, Racer had finally managed to drop his two "friends entities" at their van. From there, the duo managed to come back to Paris and organized a new meet, in the catacombs below the city with friendly, but rather harrowing, employer.

Monday 15th March 2077

They spend a long time summarizing him their recent adventures and how they ended up on the radar of the Order of St. Sylvester, before handing the ghoul the book they have so much fight to get. The ancient looking creature, Mr Corbitt, remains silent for almost a minute, before replying to them:

"... Hum. Well, I think, first of all, I must command your dedication. I don't think many of your ... peers, would have gone as far as you went, and be so diligent. That being said, I'm not entirely sure that sharing the content of the book with this... Professor, was a wise move, but I'm certainly not going to be, what do they say, oh right, to be a "backseat driver" on this decision. And I'm extremely grateful to you two to have helped secure this precious, but rather mundane book.

As I told when we started this endeavour, this book is in fact a most essential clue to get to a far more important - and clearly dangerous book, called the Nuctéméron. Thanks to you securing it, we have hopefully the lead in what has become - as I was afraid of, a race. I'll need some time, and probably a bit of assistance from Rex, to study the book and extract from it, what people during the War called 'actionable Intel'."

Weirdly enough, both Rex and Waywalker are unsure which war the ghouls was referring to.

"In the meantime, let me seek your advise on our next move. Like you probably are, I'm not very happy with the lack of actual knowledge on who is after this book like us. We know of this strange Fae who is clearly looking for it and has aligned himself, at least last time you saw him, with a delegation most likely sponsored by Order of St. Sylvester. But we are unaware their end game in this plot. We also have no idea if other factions might be interested too. You did leave the Camargue with the Draco Foundation aware of the break in. I wonder if there are now also aware of our little quest..."

Corbitt stopped, pausing to allow his mouth to rest. As the runners have seen already last time, he was in a pretty advance state of decomposition and it seemed that speaking was thus rather difficult for the ghoul.

"So... How do you think we should proceed to gather a bit more information, without tipping our own hand?"
Jack_Spade
Rex had gone to the trouble of manifesting to talk with their employer: "Reading the book - probably. It's all rather complex. I do have the astral signature of the person trying to spy on us. If I ask a strong enough Kami, I might be able to pinpoint his position and start a counter surveillance. But that is a rather risky and not at all sure fire way to get some intel.
The Draco Foundation will have to use advanced auguring techniques to deduce what we are really after.

Right now we have the real book and I think we'll have to take it apart, page by page to see if there isn't anything hidden in the margins or between the covers. Only when that doesn't help us any further, I'd turn to espionage."
Haywire

"Well, Mr. Corbitt, we have the book and they do not, so I think we should have an advantage. Do you have any information on who this "Professor" is?
"Waywalker paused for a moment to rally his ideas.
"While you two study the book, either physical copy or digital one, I could snoop around to see the latest rumors in the French shadows. Facts may be misleading, but rumors point very often where we should search."
Romain Pelisse
The ghoul turned its decaying face to Rex astral form. As Corbitt was dual natured, it barely noticed that the mage were projecting.

"Well, I certainly acknowledge your arcana acumen. I had not thought about such direct strategies. And I do agree with your own conclusion in regards of those - they are more risk of us being exposed than anything else. I must confess my line of though was mundane. I was hoping for you too to have connection, in the shadows, that could provided information. Or maybe that you would be up to some good, old fashion investigation work. It may not impossible, especially for two crafty runners as you are, to set up a discreet surveillance of either the Mount St Michel and/or the Draco Foundation, here in Paris? Or maybe even a break in to gather Intel. But again, I am, but a measly ghoul, living underneath the city of light. I have no idea if what I'm suggesting is realistic or not..."

Listening to Rex suggestions of taking the book apart immediately brought a face of utter disgust and horror on Corbitt.

"Gosh! Tearing apart this unique item! What a nefarious idea! We're not philistines, M.Rex. I have not hired you to commit acts of such barbarian level. I really do hope you were using a metaphor."

It was clear for the two runners that Mr.Corbitt certainly loves his books.

[ Spoiler ]

"I do however intend to thoroughly study it, cover to cover. But as you said, this will take a bit of time..."

As Waywalker gave his own suggestion, the ghoul turned toward his general direction - again, being a blind creature came with a certain lack of precision in this regard (haha).

"Sadly, no, M.Waywalker, I have no inkling of whom this Professor might be... I am familiar with his brand of Fae however. The Professor, given your description appears to be a Croki. Those Fae are known for being either talented artisan or brilliant scholar. The white gloves they are always wearing are not a prop or for styling purpose. They are here to protect people from their touch which is, I've gathered, supposed to be a deadly one. I have no idea why this particular Fae was apparently kept prisoner in Brocéliande. That being said, maybe venturing into the Seelie Court may yield more information... But this is no small endeavour."

Corbitt paused a second to let his suggestions sinks in and continued:

"Gathering rumors and hearsay, through the Matrix? Hum. What an intriguing endeavor. Certainly a stealthy one. And you are right, it may give us a bit of context about our opponent moves..."

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
"If you remember, we aren't orignially from Paris and have very few - if any - connections to lean on. If you ware willing to pay our retainer, we certainly can continue our investigations.
Braking into the Draco Foundation or St. Sylvester Headquarters here sounds like a very, very, very dangerous undertaking.
Still, we can ask around and see who comes out of the woodwork.
But as mentioned: Let's study the book before we go out and inadvertendly alert our enemies to our inquiries.

Waywalker, we should start to prepare secondary and tertiary hiding places. France is pretty centralized and it doesn't require a genius to suspect that we might be holed up in Paris. Once they have spirits searching for me, one might get lucky and pierce both my obfuscated aura as well as my lodge's protections. Once that happens we have to bail out very rapidly."

Rex replied.

"In any case, we should establish a meet in a week or so. If searching the matrix as well as the book hasn't resulted in anything, we'll try the available alternatives."
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]
Haywire

"Do not get this wrong, Mr. Corbitt, but I do not intend to go in the Mist anymore unless is critical. Last time we barely escaped the mercs by my wits, and I'm not so keen on tempting my luck again."

"By the way, I think I can ask around in the Matrixwhile you two study the book. And sure, we can make some arrangements to change safehouse regularly, if you so desire. Let me remeber where we find them..."
"Do you know where a man spill his beans? I think I know a situation when this happens and the person to talk to..."

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Rex nodded: "I'll study the digital copy, as that will be easier to use with a translation software. Also, I'll call an expert on magical artifacts that I know. He might be able to help us out."

Rex returned to his body and used the trode net to call an old fashioned answering service to leave his request: <<Dear Mr. Jones, I hope you are well and both business and weather is to your satisfaction. I am currently investigating the whereabouts of a certain rare text and would appreciate your scholarly insight on the matter. Please find attached to as separate mail the details on said text.
Thank you for your help in advance.
Yours sincerely
Reginald>>
Romain Pelisse
"Oh, M.Rex, rest assure, the book is quite safe here and I have taken extra precaution to shield it - as you may have felt when you arrived here..."

[ Spoiler ]

"...But do contact your friend about the book. I'm sure you are far more used than me in this sort of dealings and will thus keep the appropriate amount of discretion needed."

Listening then to Waywalker discretion, the old man replies to the rigger:

"Oh, I'm quite sorry, M.Waywalker, I've been uncleared and assumed very wrongly you were familiar with astral travel. But rest assure, the course of action I'm advocating here is not at all take you anywhere near the Mist. Apparently the Mist led you to a plane known as Brocéliande where you clearly saw soldiers of the Queen of the Seelie somehow keeping the Professor prisoner. Or so it seems."

The ghoul paused for an instant to check that Waywalker at the time to digest what he just said.

"I suggest to travel to the Court of the Seelie, where the Queen herself reside. And there try to learn more about this Croki and understand why he was jailed where he was. I do realize it is definitely outside of both your comfort zone, but it might be a very efficient way to learn more about the Professor. That being said, you may prefer other course of actions. As said, I ultimately do trust your operational experience in this regard."

As Waywalker and Rex were left pondering about the strange proposal of their employer, Rex was surprised that his contact had already replied. While reading the message, Rex could almost the thick British accent of his librarian's friend:

>>> Hi Reg', nice to hear from you, mate. It's been a while. Business here is good, thanks for asking. As for weather, it's shit, but still better than home! Quite an old little nugget you find yourself looking at. Nobody care about so-called wizard of the 19th century since arcanist came up with the UMT (Universal Magic Theory). Back in the 40's, this kind of book was hot. People kept searching in them for hope to find glimpse of "true power". Reasoning was that if those fellows had managed to perform magic back in the 5th World, they must have been quite good? Neh, for me this never hold the water... Anyway, your little book is certainly back in fashion these days. Your are not the first of my contacts to ping me about it... The strange thing is that the book itself is devoted of any true magic. It's not an artifact or one of those magical book that come up here and there. It's just good, old fashioned esoteric crap! Anyhow, if you are interested in who else is looking for the book I might be able to help... Well, in exchange of a little participation in my retirement pension wink.gif. Let me know!

While Rex was reading the message, Waywalker and Corbitt had kept discussion an idea of the rigger, and Corbitt looked interested:

[ Spoiler ]

"So, if I get your idea right, M.Waywalker, you want to see if you can find a 'lady of night' that one of the exec either at the Draco Foundation or in the vicinity of the Order of St Sylvester is ... visiting often. And maybe get this person to 'spill the beans'. That is an interesting idea indeed. However, where to look?"

Waywalker smiled and winked at both Rex and Corbitt. He picked up his phone and dial the number of Trixie, the high end escort girl they had dealings with, back in the RRMP, when they started looking for Bernie. After a brief and warm discussion - Trixie was always very nice to discuss with, but that might be due to her profession - Waywalker hanged up and his smile grew even more. It turned out that Trixie had heard of high end brothel, in Rennes, so quite close to the Mont St Michel. Apparently, the woman running it, called Madame Claude, as this is customary in France, often hired girl with a certain young and innocent appeal. Rumors in the business was that it was to cater, discreetly, to the need of some local member of the clergy.

In exchange for 500 nuyens, Trixie was willing to share how to connect Madame Claude and the exact location of the Brothel.
Haywire

Waywalker was not very fond of the mojo implied in the words "astral travel". "Well, I'm glad we do not need to go to that haunted place anymore."After the conversation with Trixie, he sent her the money and waited for the reply with the details.
"I think I got ourself a lead..."
Jack_Spade
Rex replied to his contact: <<Thank you Jeremy, I'll gladly pay for this information and whatever else you can dig up about the texts I mentioned.>>

Rex returned his attention to Waywalker and nodded after learning about that plan: <<I say onward to Rennes. I'll have time to study during the drive.>>
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

As soon as Waywalker transferred the money to her, Trixie shared the location of the brothel in Rennes. Located quite inside the historical center of the city, the old, fashion house looked pretty nice. Nothing in the matrix was betraying its true nature. Once the runners are back on the surface, it will take 2 to 3 hours to get there. Rennes is a bit too close to the Mist for Waywalker's taste, but the closet sighting of the mysterious fog has never been closer to 30 km.

In the meantime, Rex gets a reply from his contact: "Nice of you, mate! I'd look into that and came took when I have a better idea of the movers and shakers behind those request. Good day!"

The study of the book is a tedious one. First of all Rex has to translate it using his commlink, and try to assert if the translation is good enough. Then he has to decipher, behind esoteric sentences, if there is a piece of truth, meaning if what is being described actually related to proper magic...

The duo arrives in the vicinity of the brothel in the early evening. Rennes used to be a very lively student city, but since the arrival of the Mist, decades ago, the city had become a bit more gloomy. Especially at night, as small patch of fog - regular one, but still due to the Mist, often invaded the street. So when Waywalker and Rex arrived, the city looked deserted and foreboding. A few shadowy figures could be seen walking in the street, looking, through the fog, a bit aimless.

Once they got eyes on the brothel, the nice looking, old house looked indeed very normal. No red light, no ARO to offer "services", the all things was pretty hush, hush. Only two thing betrayed the "discreet" business: the walls laced with bacterial lifeforms to make the building impervious to both thermographic vision and astral visit and the few discreet security cameras, monitoring the vicinity from all the angle...
Jack_Spade
Rex welcomed the excuse to stop reading and deciphering the book. For a highly sought after book it was pretty tedious to read.
Relying on the simple dog form of a friendly Golden Retriever, he kept his astral sight open.
<<The brothel is warded in the astral. I'll have to kill a bit of the awakened algae in the wall if I want to take a look inside. Can you hack the cameras to get access to their system? We could use the invisible cable trick again.>>
Haywire

"We seem to have found our target. I'd peek inside their host to get some feed from the cameras and if we can track this girl down."
After relying most of the trip on the autopilot, it was nice for Waywalker ot be back in the centr of the action.

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Meanwhile, Rex concentrated on the astral, trying to pick up any aura's of powerfull magic that had happened around here in the last hours. He didn't expect to find anything, but you never knew what kind of Kami's these people kept around when they went out for a bit of carnal recreation.

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Rex spent some minutes gazing into the astral with his eyes closed. Not far from him, his partner, Waywalker knew enough about magic to recognize the small changes in the air or the barely visible weird glow emanating from his dog eyes. The decker was certainly hoping for the dog shaped mage was more successful than he was.

He already rebooted once his deck and try to again, just to be sure he was not getting anything wrong. According to his scans, there was nothing close to a host anywhere near the small house. Actually, the all thing looked completely dark in the matrix. Out of desperation, Waywalker even ran a diagnostic software on his deck antennae. Until the answer finally came to him.

A fragging Faraday cage. This all building was shielded in such a way to create a freaking Faraday cage. No signal from the outside could get in, neither anything inside could get out. The only way they could have access inside the mansion would be to use some wired infrastructure from the last century... Well, last decades, but still...

Looking at the building, in the real world, carefully, Waywalker now saw that all the windows were actually fake, painted over white bricked wall. The only opening appeared to be the main door. A fancy, nice looking, old door, that has clearly modified to not break the Faraday cage.

In the astral, Rex was not getting more lucky than his partner. At least, at first. With his assessing skills, Rex could feel the secretiveness of the place, how the all mansion felt almost... removed from the surrounding streets because of it. A bit more deeper into the astral, his nose catch a whiff of the raw sexuality happening in the place. He got a small taste of the customers excitation, being teased by the tenants, his ears suddenly filling up with noise of moaning and perky laughter....

He got so distracted by what he was sensing that he almost missed it. Next to house, there was a glimmer in the astral, some unidentified aura that seems to be wrapped into the wave of emotions pulsating from the brothel. As Rex focused his attention to the aura, trying to get a proper read of it, the glimmer suddenly took shape into the astral, the shape of a translucent, young woman. A beautiful, human one - with long blond hair falling into her back, and just wearing an old fashioned (not revealing at all by this century standard) nightgown.

Her soft eyes landed on Rex's astral form, questioning him and his presence without muttering a word...

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Rex moved closer to the appearance - he still had the disguised aura of a dog upon him so he had to play the part of a shifter:
"Greetings, oh luminous one, if I may introduce myself, I am called Rex. It is a fine night to be out and travel the world. What brings you to this place if I may ask?"
Haywire

Waywalker was quite pleased with his discover; at least he found why he couldn't see anything.
"Oh boy... how didn't I think of a Faraday cage earlier? Maybe my brain took a hit from the SOX trip? Rex, after this is over I'll go get a full check-up!
However, electrical power and wired matrix connection shall go in and out somewhere... I'll check it old school."

It took only a couple of seconds before a drone was buzzing like an insect out of the van and directed to the house...

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
It took a little while for Waywalker to deploy his drone and start looking for a possible way to tap into the brothel's dataline. He had to do two full tour of the house to map it correctly and, in the end, had to do some educated guesses. Clearly, France - or at least this part of the country, had very quickly jump on the wagon of the wireless matrix and none of the usual "reminders" of the previous, wired infrastructure were to be seen around the bordello. However, Waywalker spot an access to the sewer, right behind the house that was tagger, in AR, as being also a technical access for the electric grid. Obviously, there was also a maglock on it - not the strongest one, for what Waywalker could see, but maybe below it, the decker could find some line to tap? Sadly, being in the center of the city, the streets were quite busy, with a lot of people wandering or shopping.

In the astral, Rex had to wait what felt an eternity to him until the mysterious woman replied. Rex got immediately the feeling that she was speaking in French, but in the astral, languages did not matter.

"Hi there, ô Wanderer of the realms of the Dead... I can see you are not from here and thus neither bound to this place of dread and sorrow... So, if I may ask, what brings you here, if not damnation?"
Jack_Spade
"The quest for knowledge. So you are a restless soul? What can you tell me about this building and its inhabitants?"
Rex stayed friendly but was ready to retreat in a heartbeat should the Ancestor Kami decide he didn't like being questioned.
Romain Pelisse
"Oh I can tell you plenty about this God-forsaken place... It is all but a tale of sorrow and pain. Within these walls, men come for please and women are to do their bidding. It is a place of carnal sin, where the soul of the innocent are lost. I am such a soul, I must confess. I've been lured in this place by the illusion of freedom, and, unknowingly, been doomed since then. Haunting this place is my damnation, I am here to warn the innocent coming here and try to chase them away before they are also doomed! Sadly, I'm unable to do so since this... impenetrable barrier has been set. So here I am, damned to an eternity of aimless wait..."
Jack_Spade
"I see. Now, I am neither innocent nor without a heart. Is there a way to break your chains and set you free? How did you die and who did it to you? I could create a breach in the barrier for you - you'd just have to describe to me everything you know about the insides of this place - rooms, people, secret accesses..."
Rex continued amiably.
Romain Pelisse
Rex probably got more than he asked for, as the ghost started a long, long (and sad) tales of her life in the brothel. Being in astral also meant that it was not only a story he was listening to, but that he also got glimpse of memories, flashing his mind, as she speaks, but also wave of emotions and even smells or feelings. It was highly disturbing for Rex.

The story of the ghost was a fairly classical one. Born in misery but with a fair appearance, her family resorted to sell her to a local brothel. After years of services, she got pregnant, but her son was immediately taken away from her by the father - a rich John. She died, of sorrow, a few month after. Sadly for Rex, the story was not only depressing but useless to him. It was clear, at the end of the tale, that the ghost (if it was really) had lived decades ago. The all story - impression, images and sounds too, looked like it came straight out of a book from Emile Zola. It was clear to the runner that none of the information she gave him would be of any help today. Except maybe for a basic sense of the internal layout...

"... So this is the story of my life, ô Wanderer of the realms of the Dead. It is, but, a sad story about damnation and I am now bound to this place, condemned to haunt until the end of time..."

She paused a minute, suddenly remembering Rex offer.

"But you say, mighty traveller, that you can open this walls for me? That I could again exercise my vengeance on this place and prevent young women to fall into the vicissitude of men?"
Jack_Spade
"Indeed, fair one. I ask of you only one thing: Wait for my call to you and don't harm me or my friend in the car over there. I'll return to you once I have spoken to him."

Rex quickly retreated to his body to recount his adventure to his chummer:
<<...so not much use to us except as a distraction - which admittedly a free Ancestor-Kami like her might be quite well suited for.
So what did you find out with your drones?>>

After learning about the shielding
<<Hm, that's not ideal. I'd bet that they have a strong jammer running inside as well. Still, if we can insert a wire with an antenna somewhere you should be able to get access. A restless dead hooker would probably be a good distraction in that regard. So tell me where and I'll astral combat a hole into the barrier on the other side to let her in.>>
Haywire

"From what I remeber you told me time in the Astral is felt differently than in the meat world, right? What if I went in as a "client" and got a look around when hell breaks loose?"
Jack_Spade
<<If you want to risk it. Just be aware that I won't be able to come to your help without breaking a lot of things quite noisily. But then, I wouldn't want to deprive you of the opportunity to visit a French whorehouse.
Oh, and you have to move slowly through the door, so I have a chance to get the spells through the barrier that I quickened on you. Otherwise they will be destroyed or - what might be slightly worse - the brothel mage learns that someone tore down their barrier.>>

Rex replied, failing to mention that he could dispell his own spells too. But he felt it would be quite a waste of very good spells...
Haywire
"You have a point. The other chance is to access the building matrix trough the electrical grid, but is going to be a little difficult. Could you determine if the undergound access is protected too by the mojo or is it safe?"
In themeantime Waywalker shared with Rex what the drone found out.
Jack_Spade
<<Underground is tricky: I can't project through solid earth. But I suspect there is another ward behind that barrier anyway. So we'll breach this thing the old fashioned way: Sabotage the defenses.>>

Rex replied, while also sending out a call to one of the sneakier Kami he knew.

[ Spoiler ]

He felt the Rat Kami try to resist his call, but Beast gave his words as usual a little extra pull and Rex even managed to deflect the pain that the psychic screech tried to inflict on him.
"Honored Rat, I have a favor to ask of you: Gather mice and other rodents and have them gnaw a breach into the organic barrier that shields this building. They also are to gnaw holes into the thin wires running through the walls - not the thick ones that carry electricity. Now go."
Romain Pelisse
After Rex asked the help of the Rat Kami, all that rested to do was, wait and see. Waywalker remains in the van, in full VR, constantly scanning the area covered by the Faraday cage. It took more than a hour for the rodents action to take effect. It started not by the Faraday cage breaking up, but by the red light on top of the entrance flickering before going off for good. Then, almost suddenly, the Faraday cage disappeared and a myriads of icons suddenly appeared. Sadly, the effect was far from being invisible from the inside, Waywalker could see almost immediately that some icon were already either shutting down or rebooting... What he was planning to do, he would not have that long to exact his plan!
Jack_Spade
Rex had followed the progress of the vermin through his connection to the Rat Kami, so he was ready to warn his friend:
<<They are through the insulation and on the wires. Whoops that was one of the thick ones. I told them that they should avoid those. Anyway, looks like there will be showtime shortly.>>
Haywire

Waywalker was surprised at the sheer number of icons floating. Without losing his wits he quickly looked for the commlink of the Maitresse, his best shot for finding the informations he was looking for.

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
As soon as the Faraday cage broke and galaxy of icons appeared in front of Waywalker eyes, but almost as immediately, all those stars started to go dark one by one. The decker's Persona jumped into the cluster of icons, as fast as his DNI connection allowed him. It felt like jumping into some sort of meteor shower. Looking desperately at all the suddenly available icon, Waywalker searched for one that could match the commlink of the "Madame Claude", the woman running the bordello. Sadly, like any less than legal operation, the people involved were smart - most of the icons were indeed commlink, of various quality, but most were either empty or freshly formatted. All, but one, as it appeared soon to Waywalker. The device also appeared to have a rather strong firewall - and had yet to be shutdown.

Waywalker's persona flies toward the icon, with incredible speed, and aims toward, attempting to bypass its firewall...

[ Spoiler ]

... and successfully managed to get a MARK on the fancy commlink. As soon as he does, Waywalker sees that many, if not all of the devices inside the house - some camera, microphones, running silent, and other more mundane device (like a toaster) are all linked to this device into a PAN. As he got access to the device he also saw that many files lives on the commlink, purposely removed from the matrix cloud file system. Sadly, he also realized that the owner just send a shutdown command - the Decker has barely a second to attempt to leverage his infiltration!

In the meantime, in the physical world, Rex, still in the van, parked not so far from the old house, saw three large guys coming out of the main door. They are wearing fancy, but clearly armored, suits - probably coming from one of the Mortimer of London line. One of them he so bulky that the mage expected him to be an Ork, while this is difficult to say as he is standing behind the two other, and in the shadows. Once on the porch, the three individuals starting looking at their surrounding, clearly try to spot if a they can spot who is responsible for the sudden failure of the Faraday's cage.
Jack_Spade
Rex relied on the fact that the windows were polarized and that he looked - well, was - a dog both in the mundane as well as on the astral. But just in case he kept still, trying not to get noticed. But just in case, he gave Rat the command to have the rodents now attack all lines and cables in the wall, hopefully shorting out the lights again. That done, he commanded the spirit to erase his traces on the astral and then be dismissed.
Haywire

"Bingo!"
Having a MARK, Waywalker tried to break the protection of the files and grab sometinhing useful, like the file that could give him away the identity of the prostitute liked by the St. Sylvester priest.

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Skimming quickly through the file of the commlink, Waywalker spot an encrypted file and decide to go for it. Without even looking for a databomb, he decides to attempt to crack it...

[ Spoiler ]

... the file barely puts on a fight, and let Waywalker in like if he was a legitimate owner. He then attempt to download it, but sadly, this is when the data bomb that he overlooked blow up in his (Persona) face! As Waywalker's firewall attempt to mitigate the damage of the data bomb, the hacker sees, heart broken, the file disappeared from the matrix as the commlink also shuts down.

[ Spoiler ]

Outside the brothel, Rex's order have been followed by the rodents under his Kami's order. The suddenly flickering lights immediately put the three goons on alert, and two of them go for the cover. The third one however remains undisturbed and seems to focus on his AR...

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Rex turned around as he heard a fizzing and crackling sound from his friend's gear
<<Are you alright?>>
Just in case, he began preparing a heal spell.
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012