Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR Big Brother Tech
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JanessaVR
And people ask me why I haven't - and will never - purchase something like the Amazon Echo.

I'm assuming something like this is standard issue in most Sixth World homes.
Stingray
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Feb 10 2018, 12:13 AM) *
And people ask me why I haven't - and will never - purchase something like the Amazon Echo.

I'm assuming something like this is standard issue in most Sixth World homes.

..CHN..in Runner's Companion (p 149 - 152) is lot of information on that..
Wakshaani
Depends on the finances, but, yes, any home in the middle lifestyle or higher is loaded with this kind of thing. A Major Domo computer system is standard-issue, running things like your refrigerator, your lighting, plays music when you come home, upkeeps the vacuum drone, and so on.

If you're poor, like 40% of the population, not so much, but the well-to-do are quite well-off.
Jaid
blech. i get the appeal of something like a fridge that automatically takes care of keeping itself stocked with certain things, but this just goes too far for me.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Stingray @ Feb 9 2018, 10:01 PM) *
..CHN..in Runner's Companion (p 149 - 152) is lot of information on that..

It's the "behavior monitoring and control" software that's over the top. I've described my typical home/computer security approach for the Sixth World here, and I was careful to note that my home management CHN is not directly connected to the Matrix. I sure as hell wouldn't have software specifically designed to track my every more in my own house and then constantly report on it. That's just beyond insane.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 11 2018, 04:00 AM) *
blech. i get the appeal of something like a fridge that automatically takes care of keeping itself stocked with certain things, but this just goes too far for me.

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Feb 12 2018, 02:58 PM) *
I sure as hell wouldn't have software specifically designed to track my every more in my own house and then constantly report on it. That's just beyond insane.

I love technology, I really do, but I would NEVER get something like Alexa. With Shadowrun tech you can hardware powerful enough to run a virtual intelligence software package like Alexa but without the need for a server farm. One of the biggest reasons I haven't gone to Windows 10 is that I can't get it to stop sending information back to Redmond. Honestly that should be illegal.
Stingray
..Perfect Roommate: Hacker/Technomancer... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012