Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elemental Manipulation Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BitBasher
If you want to know why some people have a problem with you changing handles...
All that aside, I have no bloody idea why a select few seem to keep getting their knickers in a twist about it.

Well that's because you should at least have enough respect for the board you post on to follow it's terms of service, which you seem to show a blatant disregard for...
QUOTE (Terms Of Service)
Each forum member may have only one account. Administrators and Moderators that wear multiple hats may have an extra account to reflect their "official voice" versus their "personal voice". Multiple accounts may be deleted without warning.
Found at: http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=17

It's abpout respect, which in this issue you are displaying none.
A Rodent of Unusual Size
No, it's simply your ignorance of said term of service that you're showing. You're not allowed to have multiple accounts (such as what Adam does when he wants to post an official announcement). There's nothing wrong with changing your handle.

Considering how you guys continue to derail a thread, I don't think a one of you have any right to talk about respecting posters in any case.
BitBasher
Okay then, so without creating a new account you are changing the handle on your existing account? Or perhaps you have multiple active accounts such as:

Doctor Funkenstein, Account# 1890
or...
A Clockwork Lime, Account #6158
or...
A Rodent of Unusual Size, Account #6354

Now since you agree that:
QUOTE ("A Rodent of Unusual Size")
No, it's simply your ignorance of said term of service that you're showing. You're not allowed to have multiple accounts
I find your position tenuous at best.

Please explain how you only have one account.
zephir
I'm sorry to revive this old topic, but I didn't want to open another thread for a related complex of questions:

QUOTE (Cain)
EM's can be combined with the Enhance Aim spell.  That alone should settle the other players. 

I was fascinated with this idea, almost enough to make an albino gnome (w/ excep. attrib willpower) elemental mage aligned to earth ... wink.gif

I looked through my old copy of MitS and saw another spell that might allow the same trick - a spell that had always struck me as useless until now:
Fling (to refresh memory, the spell allows a spellcaster to throw a throwing weapon with an effective strength equal to the force of the spell with a drain of +1(M), TN is 4) Useless, because there is no throwing weapon that has a damage code of more than (Str+1)M, even dikoted. With armor applying, victims able to resist with CP and body -- junk spell.

However I noticed one peculiarity with the spell:
1. It has a range of touch (the throwing weapon), therefore, in contrast to EM's, a enemy mage won't be able to defend himself and his chummers with spell defense or, even worse, shielding, right?

2. Now, with the chance to scrounge some more successes with "enhance aim", the "fling" spell might actually be a useful tool to hunt enemy spellcasters, right?
3. Now where did I think wrong?
4. Would it be possible to chuck grenades with this spell?
Ol' Scratch
Tomahawks can be thrown and they have a (STR+1)S damage code when dikoted. Same goes with a Vibro-Knife (STR+1)S and the Cougar Short (STR+1)S and Long (STR+2)S Fineblades.

That aside, sure, that's a good use of those two spells. I wouldn't call them mage-killers anymore than throwing a normal weapon by a skilled adept would be, but it's still a really nice option for magicians.
zephir
Oh thanks, I didn't think of those, as I looked into cannon companion ... and that only lists throwing knives, shuriken, caltrops and one other ...
UpSyndrome
To get back to the original question of this post real quick...
Awhile back I emailed fanpro and asked the question about using combat pool with elemental manipulations in addition to spell pool, and they said you can. The total number of dice from both pools can't exceed the sorcery rating, of course, but this does allow you to allocate more dice to the casting test rather than saving it for the heavy EM drain.
As a GM, I'm glad that both pools are available, since extra successes in casting serve to offset the fact that these spells can be dodged (the ability of the magician to use combat pool sorta checks the ability of the target to do the same).

-Joe
GrinderTheTroll
I can use dice from my Magic pool on an elemental manipulation spell, like Fireball, but I was wondering if I can use some dice from my Combat pool since you make a ranged attack when you cast the spell (you actually have to aim it like a weapon).

No. You are still using your sorcery skill (not a weapon skill) to cast the spell, I wouldn't allow it. You also aren't "aiming" like a pistol or a rifle, it's a different animal.

The book says you can only affect magic spells with your magic pool and I can understand that (like if I increased the area of a spell by reducing the dice I roll and supplemented that with Spell Pool dice), but what if I'm making an attack roll?

I think I see what you are trying to establish here, but Spell casting is still a complex action, so aside from casting it, there would be no way you could aim like a ranged weapon. It's not a "Combat" item, so shouldn't be subject to combat pool.

Granted the attack is magical in the case of Fireball, but there's a physical action (having to roll a 4+ b/c your aiming the thing). Any help would be... well, helpful. smile.gif I mean it would be great if I could use some cambat dice on the attack and save my magic pool for drain, but that might be a little too twinkish.

Sounds a bit overbalancing IMO.

Also, is there any benefit to casting elemental manipulation spells? ...  Am I wrong in liking the Elemental Manipulation spells, or am I just wasting my time on them?

As far as your only damaging spell, they can be taxing on the drain, and can be dodged, but that's not always a bad thing. Consider it as a way to sap the combat pools of enemies so your Sam's can really let them have it with a burst or two, or vice versa: Sams drain the combat pool, then you close in for the kill.

Clout is a good Combat Pool drainer for its low drain potential, while Lightining Bolt vs. Cyberware and Ammo is always a party waiting to happen.
mfb
aiming can be done over multiple initiative passes and combat turns. the fact that spellcasting is a complex action has nothing to do with why you can't aim elemental manipulation spells.
GrinderTheTroll
So it's possible to AIM EM spells? Give me a page reference so I can see all the goodness!

Thanks.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Zazen)
BTW, the thing about plastic explosives using electricity to blow up is a TV-show myth. They use blasting caps for it in the real world.

Sorry for being off-topic here:

I thought that conventional type explosives used a shock to start the explosive chain reaction, while plastic used an electrical charge to do so? So a sufficient shock will explode plastic explosives as well?
BitBasher
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Zazen)
BTW, the thing about plastic explosives using electricity to blow up is a TV-show myth. They use blasting caps for it in the real world.

Sorry for being off-topic here:

I thought that conventional type explosives used a shock to start the explosive chain reaction, while plastic used an electrical charge to do so? So a sufficient shock will explode plastic explosives as well?

No, plastic coupounds uses a blasting cap too. The cap may be electronically ignited in some cases, but the explosive is not.
mfb
well, i'm not saying that it's possible to aim EM spells. i'm just saying that the reason you can't aim them has nothing to do with the fact that spellcasting is a complex action.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
So it's possible to AIM EM spells? Give me a page reference so I can see all the goodness!

SR3 p. 196, Elemental Manipulations: "Unlike combat spells, [elemental manipulations] are treated like normal ranged attacks using Sorcery as the Ranged Combat Skill."

SR3 p. 107, Take Aim action: "A character may take aim with a ready ranged weapon as a Simple Action."
Cain
Just remember that casting a spell is a complex action, so you cannot aim and cast on the same action. However, if you've got the time, it may be worthwhile.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)
Just remember that casting a spell is a complex action, so you cannot aim and cast on the same action. However, if you've got the time, it may be worthwhile.

Not in my game, you can't. I'd find that pretty damn disturbing.

DF just quoted the take aim text, which says you have to actually have a weapon in order to aim it.
RedmondLarry
In my game, I don't allow aim or combat pool or smartlinks or laser sights to adjust the TN or number of dice for casting an elemental manipulation spell.

Like Zazen, I note that Aim is done with a ranged weapon.

SR3.196, Elemental Manipulations, as quoted above, is a copy of part of the text from 13 pages earlier. Here is that earlier text:
QUOTE (SR3.183 Elemental Manipulation Spells)
Elemental spells are treated like normal ranged attacks (see p. 109) using Sorcery as the Ranged Combat Skill. Spell Pool dice may be added as normal.

I think this is quite clear -- it is like a ranged attack, only use Sorcery as the combat skill and Spell Pool as the dice pool.
Ol' Scratch
I consider a fireball to be as much a weapon as anything else. It's physical in nature, it has to be aimed, you're using your skill to launch it, and it does damage. Sounds like a weapon to me.

Take Aim relies purely on your skill at using the ranged weapon as made evident in the fact that you can only gain a bonus up to one-half your skill rating when using it. Doesn't matter whether your skills is in Pistols, Throwing Weapons, or Sorcery -- they all represent the same level of skill in aiming a valid ranged attack using those rules.

Likewise, if you're going to apply the penalties for normal ranged combat, you should allow any valid bonuses, too. That includes the Take Aim action.

That said, of course a smartlink or laser sight won't work with an elemental manipulation -- they obviously don't have smartgun technology or laser sights installed on them. But Take Aim is a measure of skill and the Enhanced Aim spell is a magical boost to your innate ability to aim on the fly. Both are perfectly valid when using an elemental manipulation since you do, in fact, have to aim the spell just like any other ranged attack.
Zazen
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I consider a fireball to be as much a weapon as anything else. It's physical in nature, it has to be aimed, you're using your skill to launch it, and it does damage. Sounds like a weapon to me.

Whether or not a fireball is a "weapon" is moot. You do not actually have a fireball when Taking Aim.
Cain
How do you know that? Several people here say that the fireball is generated at the mage's hands, and then flung at your opponent-- that's why barriers in the path block it.
Necro Tech
Because EM are cast within 1 complex action. From beginning to end, only one action. I find it would be a little silly to stand there pointing your finger at someone screaming "I'm gonna melt your ass!"
Apathy
In terms of balance, Enhance Aim tends to be a wimpy spell anyway. It's got limited range, target number reduction limited to half your ranged skill, potentially a small drain injuy (in case of a really bad role), and the +2 TN modifier for then having to sustain the spell. Unless they dump the thing into a sustaining focus, there's not much point.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Apathy)
In terms of balance, Enhance Aim tends to be a wimpy spell anyway. It's got limited range, target number reduction limited to half your ranged skill, potentially a small drain injuy (in case of a really bad role), and the +2 TN modifier for then having to sustain the spell. Unless they dump the thing into a sustaining focus, there's not much point.

Don't forget the biggest disadvantage of all, it's target resisted... just like all detection spells.
Cain
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Because EM are cast within 1 complex action. From beginning to end, only one action. I find it would be a little silly to stand there pointing your finger at someone screaming "I'm gonna melt your ass!"

There's no reason why a mage couldn't spend an action chanting and holding a fireball, either. Especially if you're using it with some sort of expendable focus.
mfb
i don't find it any sillier than standing there pointing a gun at someone screaming "i'm gonna shoot your ass!"

which is to say, both of them sound kinda dumb. on the other hand, taking a moment to steady your breathing, get a correct sight picture, and makes sure your grip is tight sounds about right--just as taking a moment to steady your breathing, make sure you've got the distance right, and noting any obstacles sounds about right for a fireball.
Odin
something just came to mind if a cyclops was using an EM spell would he apply his +2 to target number considering EM's are treated like normal ranged weapons.I personally wouldn't think so as spellcasting is more about synching up with with the target/victims aura than about firing at a target dependant on depth perception I'd prefer concrete quotes from the text if possible.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 28 2004, 01:55 AM)
which is to say, both of them sound kinda dumb. on the other hand, taking a moment to steady your breathing, get a correct sight picture, and makes sure your grip is tight sounds about right--just as taking a moment to steady your breathing, make sure you've got the distance right, and noting any obstacles sounds about right for a fireball.

You have to decide exactly where you want the elemental manipulation spell to strike, be mindful of any obstacles along the path, focus your body and mind into the spellcasting process, and wait for the opportune moment to launch the spell. I don't see how any of that is significantly different from what you described regarding a remarkably narrow-minded view of aiming. Afterall, you can Take Aim when tossing some caltrops on the ground, hurling a grenade at a group of people, or striking someone with a whip, too.

And no, Odin, elemental manipulations don't have jack to do with "synching up with auras." They're the down and dirty spells in a magician's arsenal and purely physical in nature beyond being composed of mana. But yes, a cyclops does get the penalty since it is, indeed, a ranged attack.
Odin
And no, Odin, elemental manipulations don't have jack to do with "synching up with auras." They're the down and dirty spells in a magician's arsenal and purely physical in nature beyond being composed of mana. But yes, a cyclops does get the penalty since it is, indeed, a ranged attack.

well I suppose that can be offset using astral perception then. smile.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (mfb)

Yeah, but so does taking a moment to steady your breathing, adjust your posture, and make sure you've got the distance right before sucker punching someone across the dinner table. I don't want people using Take Aim in melee either.

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Afterall, you can Take Aim when... striking someone with a whip

On the other hand, if you're cool with letting people use it in melee you may as well apply it to elemental manipulations and damn near anything else, too. I guess there's nothing wrong with this as long as it's consistently applied.

Just not in my game.
Clank
QUOTE (UpSyndrome)
Awhile back I emailed fanpro and asked the question about using combat pool with elemental manipulations in addition to spell pool, and they said you can. The total number of dice from both pools can't exceed the sorcery rating, of course, but this does allow you to allocate more dice to the casting test rather than saving it for the heavy EM drain.
As a GM, I'm glad that both pools are available, since extra successes in casting serve to offset the fact that these spells can be dodged (the ability of the magician to use combat pool sorta checks the ability of the target to do the same).

-Joe

Can you post the email here (if you still have it)?
UpSyndrome
QUOTE (Clank)
QUOTE (UpSyndrome)

-Joe

Can you post the email here (if you still have it)?

Unfortunately, this was some time ago, and it's long since gone. You'd have to take my word for it, but no skin off my back if not. In the end it always comes down to what your individual GM wants to do anyway.

-Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012