Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coolness factors and weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
"Such happy people…"

~J
Bob the Ninja
I'd like to add that swords, no matter the nationality, could not cut metal armor. That's an important note.
Number 6
That's odd. My friends at the SCA are always coming back having to patch their chainmail. Historic chain also shows signs of patching after being cut open.

Some plate, sure. Hell, in japan they even made bullet-proof steel breastplates.
Number 6
QUOTE (Shadow)
Hobgoblin, European swords (of an equal time period) are superior to Katana’s in everyway.

*gasp* did someone just say that?

Katana's are great swords, and very pretty, but they are the simplest form of sword. The blade curves during the folding process. It is a natural side effect of it. Advanced manufacturing techniques are needed to keep the sword straight, and therefore make it stronger.

Katana wielders (and by the way, Katana is the modern name, it literally means sword) had to practice for a long time before they were ever given anything more than a practice sword.

This was to make them better. right?

No.

It is because if you hit something with a Katana at the wrong angle you will shatter the sword. Contrary to popular belief they cannot cut through car, nor deflect bullets.

The greatest Katana's ever crafted (at least as generally accepted) were made about 200 years ago. And they were folded a whopping 30 times.

Anyone can find this out with a little research, I recommend it.

-Shadow

*hating the mythology around Katana's more by the minute, the truth is so much better*

An interesting combination of historical accuracy and ignorance. I'd say the rapier was the equal to the katana, but not superior. The katana weds an incredibly lethal draw cut with a speed near that of the rapier itself. The rapier itself is a very deadly weapon. I would submit that putting the tip through an eyeball, kidney, heart, takes at least as much training as a katana.

The blade curve doesn't have shit to do with the folding. It had to do with the way the blades were tempered. Maybe you meant 'forging' instead of 'folding'?

The katana did change. Originally it had a much different handle and was longer to suit use from horseback, though mounted 'samurai' (as they didn't really exist at this period) more often used lances. Later the handle and blade curvature was straightened to suit combat on foot. There are historical examples of many types of swords, but most were discarded because they didn't suit the combat philosophy of the time. Swiftness and flexibility were highly valued, so heavy armors never really developed. If they had, the katana would have been discarded. The katana was the perfect weapon for their philosophy, a fast, light weapon that when used properly killed quickly in a single blow. Take a look at some of the kata, they are 95% ATTACK with barely any emphasis on defence. Kill your enemy before he kills you.

You know why the best katana were made 200 years ago, and will never be duplicated? wink.gif The unique mixture of elements on the beaches of Japan. When forging a very little amount of sand would get blown onto the steel, which metalurgists say created possibly the greatest steel for that type of sword ever. Today the composition is different, especially with the japanese disregard for pollution control.

I agree, the truth is better. biggrin.gif

Monstone Spider: Yep, the Japanese stole everything from China and made it better. Few innovators really. 200 years later they did the same with USA automobiles. Yeah, the roman gladius was awesome. Very quick, excellent thrusting AND cutting capability. I like the cavalry version for the extra reach. If i had to rank, i'd probably put the rapier and gladius tied in 1st, katana in 2nd. All fine weapons though.

Cain: Yes, there were some pretty crappy 'common' katana made. Quality varied immensely. Look into the WWII for examples, some officers had blades made by National Living Treasures, others had ersatz blades (stamped out from sheets).

When it comes down to it, a katana is pretty much the Flechette ammo of the melee world, while western blades are the APDS ammo. A katana will slice through flesh and light armor as if it were butter, but European blades were designed to punch through equally masterfully-forged steel armor.

That's a really good analogy for Shadowrun. Thx.
Entropy Kid
I don't remember my sources, but I did read this. So much for establishing credibility....

Damascus style swords were made from separate pieces of metal that were heated, hammered, and twisted, then hammered again- not "folded." The twisting is where the patterns in the blade came from.

Although the armor worn by daimyo could stop arrows, the bullet stopping breast plates (I think) you're referring were imported from Europe. It had a name that translated to something like "armor of the southern barbarians." "Southern" because they traded at Kyushu. At some point they might have fabricated a local bullet-proof "vest," but they didn't originally.

If Lone Wolf and Cub can be considered credible, isn't Ogami Itto's dotanuki translate to "the sword that cuts through torsos" or something similar? I never heard or read anything about armored soldiers getting cut in half, but I'm not as knowledgeable about history as other posters are (seem to be).

I've seen pictures (read: woodcut prints) of samurai with large two-hand swords fighting, but I don't know if the pictures are being stylized, so I can't use that to say that no-dachi were used in one-on-one combat on foot with any regularity, but the imagery from the period shows big swords.
JaronK
As a note... I think he meant swords cannot cut through plate metal. Chainmail is a whole other story... your basic axe or sword will slice through it with surprising effectiveness.

JaronK
Bob the Ninja
I should have said plate instead of metal. Whoops. Anyway, the reason maile needs to be replaced is usually breakages in the linkages, not the rings themselves.

I was just tired of some people saying that a katana can cut through machine gun barrels. I'd suggest actually trying that. It'd be a rude awakening.
mcb
Horse crap! I'll bring the sword you bring the plate. A heavy sword will easily punture any plate you could wear and still move in. You just have to get the angle correct and enought energy behind the thrust. In combat that is not alway easy but in principal the sword can alway be made harder and tuffer than the armor.

mcb
toturi
I would refer you to the great "Katana vs other swords" debate over at the NWN forums that seems to resurface every few weeks or so (though the last one was quite some time ago, it is almost as regular as certain topics seem to resurface in this forum).
JaronK
Obviously a sword can get into the weak points in armour if your opponent is standing still. However, it's very difficult to do... you may be able to bash in the side of platemail, but it's not easy, and a good opponent makes it much harder. You absolutely will NOT be able to cut through armour with a slashing cut, and it's pretty darn hard to pierce it straight on too, almost impossible with decent platemail.

In combat, most knights used their swords like overglorified clubs when fighting against other armoured knights... you'd knock your opponent down and then finish them off with a thin dagger.

JaronK
John Campbell
It's really hard, though not impossible, to cut through plate with any sword short of a claymore or the like. The katana is actually really bad at it... the long drawcuts it's designed for are brutal against exposed flesh or soft armor, but tend to skate off steel. Western swords early on were broad-bladed cut-and-thrust weapons that had the mass and forward balance to shear through mail, and inflict significant blunt trauma through it if they failed to do so. As plate armor became more common, though, the swords that were intended to be used against it evolved to either huge two-handers that accomplished the job through brute force, or narrow, stiletto-pointed hand-and-a-half weapons that could still be used for cutting against lightly armored opponents, but were primarily designed for a two-handed thrust that could puncture plate (which katanas are also really bad at... they can be used for thrusting, but the curved blade puts the primary application of force out of line with the point, which, again, tends to make it skate off plate).

And, of course, mass weapons - axes, maces, warhammers, flails, and the like - which could defeat any armor were always popular. And spears, which have been the primary weapon of pretty much every military everywhere in every time from prehistory to the American Civil War or so, can punch through plate with relative ease.

Most SCA mail (including mine) is butted... the rings are simply bent closed, and rely on nothing more than the stiffness of the metal to keep them closed. Butted mail comes apart in combat, even against the simple rattan sticks that we use (insert rant about rattan's SR damage code). The rings aren't actually damaged, though... they just get bent open a bit and fall out. Over the winter, when we were having fighter practice indoors, I'd sweep up the floor afterwards, pick up all my lost rings, and just put them back in, bend them shut again.

Western mail in period was usually riveted shut, which makes it a whole lot more durable (though also much more of a pain in the butt to make). We've got a few fighters now who've started fighting in riveted mail, and, over the whole winter, I found two of the riveted rings... versus usually a dozen or so of my rings every week. Both of them had simply popped the rivet and come open; the rings themselves weren't cut or broken in any way. Cutting the actual rings is really difficult to do, even with real weapons, because you have to hit them hard enough and drive them in far enough that you're using the occupant's body as an anvil to shear the ring against. This is, obviously, not a lot of fun for the occupant, and you'll do serious damage to him long before the armor itself is actually damaged.
Lindt
*gouges out eyes* Im sick of this, Katana, meet Ares HVLMG. Ares Arms 1 Fudal Japan 0. Dont bring a sword to a gun fight.
Number 6
John, I dunno if you do your own mail but The Ring Lord is now selling rings with pre-punched holes for rivets. Now pretty much anyone can make their own riveted mail for a decent price. In mild steel, brass, even blackened stainless. Never patch, or have to throw your chain in the dryer again! rotfl.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (Lindt)
*gouges out eyes* Im sick of this, Katana, meet Ares HVLMG. Ares Arms 1 Fudal Japan 0. Dont bring a sword to a gun fight.

Gracias. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Lindt: bring all the LMGs you want. I'll bring a pocketknife and kick your ass. The caveat is that we start with weapons at our sides and two feet away from each other. Melee weapons may not be universally applicable anymore, but they still have their uses.

~J
Lindt
And at that case I have all ready failed to use my LMG correctly. Or I just club you to death with it...
John Campbell
QUOTE (Number 6)
John, I dunno if you do your own mail but The Ring Lord is now selling rings with pre-punched holes for rivets. Now pretty much anyone can make their own riveted mail for a decent price. In mild steel, brass, even blackened stainless. Never patch, or have to throw your chain in the dryer again! rotfl.gif

You must have a different definition of "decent price" than I do. At the prices they're offering, enough riveted rings to make a hauberk like mine would run you over $700, and would still require hours upon hours of assembly. I could buy an already-finished riveted mail hauberk from one of the local merchants for $500, and not have to put all the work into it myself. And my own hauberk, which I did put the work into, only actually cost me about $25 (No, I didn't leave a zero off that. Baling wire is cheap.).
Number 6
Yah but the tools required aren't, and I doubt I could do the chemical process required to make black stainless. frown.gif I may need to get into doing my own anyway since noone sells the oval rings commonly used to join japanese 4-in-1.

Pretty cool you have locals that will do riveted, around here they all say the manpower required makes it not worth doing. Where did you get that hauberk? Do they have a webpage, and what gague and size were the rings?
Shadow
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 7 2004, 08:12 PM)
BTW, Shadow-- a blade folded 30 times would result in over a million layers.  That just sounds wrong to me, somehow.  Are you absolutely sure a katana was folded that many times?

I would like to point out to the part where I said I am not an expert. I have just done a lot of research on this subject. My reading suggest that 30 folds was the most ever done for a 'Katana'. Generally speaking it was between 18 and 24.

Again I may be wrong.

@ Number 6,
no need for name calling. And yes I meant forging. I didn't feel like going into an in depth post saying the entire history of sword making in Japan.

I already did that once, I am sure I could find it for you if you want.
Bob the Ninja
mcb wrote:
Horse crap! I'll bring the sword you bring the plate. A heavy sword will easily punture any plate you could wear and still move in. You just have to get the angle correct and enought energy behind the thrust. In combat that is not alway easy but in principal the sword can alway be made harder and tuffer than the armor.

Try it. Seriously. I have done quite a bit of research on plate (and I just received my Masters in Medieval Studies), and I fight in it regularly. One cannot cut the major plates with a sword. Dent the hell out of them, sneak in under the arm, yes, but not cut through.

Look at late Medieval or rennassance fighting manuals (Talhoffer being the most famous probably), and you'll see what I mean.
Cochise
He wants to puncture the plate ... wink.gif
Obviously you are talking about different things.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Number 6)
Yah but the tools required aren't, and I doubt I could do the chemical process required to make black stainless.  frown.gif  I may need to get into doing my own anyway since noone sells the oval rings commonly used to join japanese 4-in-1.

What, pliers and wire cutters? And a hammer if you want to do riveted? Yes, granted, my tools may have actually cost me more than the materials, but they were still pretty cheap, and I use them for all sorts of other things, too.

Coloring stainless I'm not sure about... I've always done mild steel, because the modern rust-proof alternatives simply do not look like period iron or steel.

Pretty cool you have locals that will do riveted, around here they all say the manpower required makes it not worth doing.  Where did you get that hauberk?  Do they have a webpage, and what gague and size were the rings?

I didn't say we had locals that made riveted, I said we had a local merchant who sells it. It's actually made in India, where the manpower required is a whole lot cheaper. That's actually the reason that I don't make mail for sale anymore... there are enough places getting it made with cheap Third World labor that the prices I can charge for it without getting drastically undercut are a whole lot less than I consider my time to be worth.

My hauberk I made myself from scratch, with spools of wire and a lot of work. The riveted ones people around here are using are ones Sir Karl got made in India, which he sells for $500 or so (price varies a bit depending on the exact type). They're available in stainless, galvanized steel, and aluminum, that I know of... all of them are, I think, 14 ga. wire, 3/8" inner diameter, and riveted. I don't think he has a website... if he does, I don't know the URL.
mcb
QUOTE (Bob the Ninja)
mcb wrote:

Try it. Seriously. I have done quite a bit of research on plate (and I just received my Masters in Medieval Studies), and I fight in it regularly. One cannot cut the major plates with a sword. Dent the hell out of them, sneak in under the arm, yes, but not cut through.

Look at late Medieval or rennassance fighting manuals (Talhoffer being the most famous probably), and you'll see what I mean.

I did not say cut, I said puncture (I even misspelled puncture so I’m sure there in lies the problem smile.gif ). Plate provides excellent slashing protection but depending on the situation chain mail may actually give better puncture protection especially when well padded underneath the mail and hitting the target in a soft area, ie lower abdomen or over a large muscle. To defeat plate one simply needs to stab it with a sufficiently hard sharp pointy thing. A short heavy sword with a sharp point would work fine, for that matter a good 24oz framing claw hammer would put sufficient focus to drive the moderately sharp claw through most plate armor. I good pickaxe is always good for punching holes in plate armor also. It all come down to focusing a lot of energy on a small enough area since plate armor is very inflexible, especially on the larger pieces it cannot distribute the blow of a sharp point the way chain can.

mcb
Bob the Ninja
Ah, I was misunderstanding you. embarrassed.gif Yah, the switch from slashing to thrusting/cleaving weapons is partially explained by armor development.

People often assosiate rapiers with this movement, but I think that's another topic entirely.
Garland
Nevermind that rapiers were still cutting weapons and it was the smallsword that was the real "hole-puncher."
JaronK
Rapiers were originally designed with the ability to stab a weak point in mind, so yes, they were for piercing. They cut too, of course.

JaronK
John Campbell
QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Number 6)
Do they have a webpage, and what gague and size were the rings?
I don't think he has a website... if he does, I don't know the URL.

As it happens, he does, in fact, have a website, and I have discovered the URL: http://www.highland-arms.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012