Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overpowered Mages and my complaining players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dice
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
Also, the 5 clinics mentioned don't manage to exist without some serious backing, so having some backlash from the high ups funding the clinic if the players wander around making massive targets of themselves is not unreasonable. The 'ware in them might be able to be traced back, and that's bad for business.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the rarity of Delta Clinics, I don't think the traceability of the 'ware they install really matters.

Do Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari etc have a bad rep because senior drug dealers drive their products? Not really... The cops don't automatically assume that just because Carlos drives a Ferrari that Ferrari are sponsering drug smuggling.

If the Clinic has records to show you came to them privately and paid with valid cred then why would there be any comeback to them... of course, if the records show that it was paid for by Saeder-Krupp etc then there may be more of an issue. So of course SK (or whoever) will make sure the records reflect that it was a private transaction between the runner and the Clinic, even if it's a SK clinic (especially if it's a SK clinic...)

SK (or whoever) are more likely to be concerned that the runner in question is likely to currently be in custody with some Law Enforcement agency if the Delta 'ware is being traced to the clinic and can possibly spill the beans on several runs they may have done in the past...
FrostyNSO
I'm gonna have a sit down with my players on the 25th and then we'll see what hashes out.
Pelaka
This doesn't really add up to me. You say the characters all have access to a delta clinic, weapons galor and have been given buttloads of money. Why aren't you complaining about the samauri? I don't see this as a mage vs samarui issue. I think the real issue is you have two players that are min-maxers and the rest of your players aren't. Worse, the min-maxers are kill happy. I doubt it matters that they are mages... you could probably kill those characters and they could come in with samarui or adapts and within a month you would have the exact same problem.

I would deal with the players... not the characters. Sit down with the group and make sure everyone understands that in the future there will be serious "consequences" for being public enemy number one. I would also talk to your non min-max players... most likely you need to work with them to help them become more effective.

I'm not suggesting you bend the rules/cheat in their favor. But very likely they need help understanding how to build an effective character. I'm also guessing they are playing characters with origins/backgrounds they like but that does not translate into an effective character. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with roleplayers that complain that their dyslexic, mentally abused and phathologically shy characters don't get to do anything fun during the game sessions.

Pel
Lucyfersam
@Dice

The difference between high powered cars getting a bad name from drug dealers driving their cars and an illegal delta clinic getting legal heat is that selling high power cars are not intrinsically illegal. You might use a car to commit crimes, but the cyberware people are getting installed at a delta clinic is usually military grade illegal stuff. Sure whoever runs the clinic can deal with the legal heat, but it still might annoy them to have to.
Dice
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Aug 12 2004, 05:15 AM)
You might use a car to commit crimes, but the cyberware people are getting installed at a delta clinic is usually military grade illegal stuff.

Sez who?

Delta Grade 'ware is no more or less illegal than any other grade... sure, if you go for wired 3 or spurs or anything else with no permit available then its Illegal, but it would be anyway.

As payment for a special run once my character recieved 5 Million Nu nuyen.gif of Deltaware, which i used to delta all my existing stuff and put in a new Delta VCR-2. As all my stuff was Wired 1, skillwires-4, headware radio, telephone, datajack, smartlink, etc etc all of which was legal or has permits then my delta'd character has no appreciable legality consequences of being delta'd.

Now obviously if i had chosen to get Wired-3 as an upgrade I'd have legal issues, but no more than if i'd had everything ripped out and Wired-3 put in at standard grade.

Now ok, my character had started life as a Covert Ops/Decker type, but was now going to be a Rigger (mainly), rather than being a Sam looking to max combat power, but it still doesn't mean that typical deltaware is 'usually military grade illegal stuff'. It only is if you choose to go that route.

There is an awful lot of legal or permit cyberware that can have very useful essence savings as delta grade.
BitBasher
With the TN's for deltaware, it's "Mythical never ever gets seen stuff". It's also "Surgery costs are totally obscene stuff". The surgery alone for a single piece of delta installation can be hundreds of thousands or even millions of nuyen IIRC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012