Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overpowered Mages and my complaining players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FrostyNSO
I have been GMing my group for a few years now and though we've tried rotating the GMing duties every once in a while, it seems the players just like it better when I GM.

Well I moved about 4 hours away and so I've been coming down for a monthly game lately. During my "off-weeks" one of our group will GM a run for those guys while I'm away.

Before this guy would ever GM, and was just a player, he had already bought all of the books, and would often call into question certain house rules I had implemented to speed up the gameplay when neccessary. This guy insisted on sticking to the rules no matter how much it slowed things down or (some say) 'ruined' the moment.

Anyways, this dude when he GM'ed had given 'my' players access to a clearinghouse-type place (similar to crime mall) which also sported a Delta clinic. He gave them unrealistic NPC's that would supply monofilament whips and heavy weapons. Allowed the players to purchase 1000's of rounds of anti-vehicular ammunition from the crime mall. Paid the players huge sums of nuyen for token runs. And this is things the players got access to after 1 or 2 runs! I have always tried to run a 'work your way to the top' kind of game, where the players had to use their contacts a little more, do more footwork, and when violence was required, to do it in a professional manner. This other guy has blown that all to hell within a few gaming sessions.

Another big thing we've butted heads on is magic and drain. A long time ago, when the group decided mages were a little overpowered, we deviated from the rules in the book (1/2 the spell's force used when calculating drain), and instead decided to use the spell's whole force for drain resistance. This had worked wonders and helped to control players (and NPC's) with boatloads of high-powered spells, without having to crank up the opposition and kill off the weaker members of the group. This guy has 'overturned' this house rule when he GM's and now the players with magic complain when I have them take drain at full force.

The the other players have described this guy's style as 'By the Book'. How can somebody that is by the book offer the nuyen and resources to the players that he does??

I have been able to mitigate his 'damage' by not having certain contacts answer their phones (it goes to voicemail or something), this delta clinic is always locked down with nobody 'home' (this has only pissed off one person), and I've made the players take some 'lower' (but not cheap) paying runs and made them work a little harder for them. But this magic thing is causing huge problems. The players who don't have magic think the house rule is reasonable and they have used mages before also. It is the people playing mages now that are constantly questioning my GMing and mr. by the book is still jumping in to tell me how to run my game.

How can I remedy this situation???
Dice
The way we organise our gaming sessions is that each person who GM's runs their own campiagn. So you can run one campaign with one session a month and the other GM can run a different campaign with different characters in it on the other 3 weeks.

And frankly, the drain issue should be done by the book otherwise you risk making mages useless, or capable of only taking out one target quickly then being crippled for the rest of the combat.

Do you begrudge a player with an Assault Rifle/SMG/Shotgun taking out someone with a single action at no harm to themselves? So why begrudge the same of the mage, who at least always *risks* self inflicted injury?

Do you also only subtract the value of a VCR rather than double the value of a VCR off a riggers vehicle task numbers because they are 'overpowered' compared to non-rigger drivers?

Riggers are supposed to be the bee's kneee's when it comes to driving, Sammies when it comes to combat, deckers when it comes to decking, and mages when it comes to casting spells... yet you choose to deliberately make mages less effective at the only thing they do better than others. Just strikes me as a bit harsh.
FrostyNSO
Having the mage take a full-force drain doesn't diminish his effectiveness as much as you say it does. Most of the time, the mage doesn't take any drain anyways, it's just when mages start unleashing huge toxic waves and take no drain that things begin to become unbalanced.

As far as any of my characters using automatic weapons and grenades: If they have a reason to use them, the opposition will usually have them too. Using stuff like that in certain venues creates more trouble than it solves (like using a grenade launcher in a nightclub, but it doesn't have to be that drastic). My players pretty much understand this.

When the players' firepower does overmatch the opposition, the opposition will utilize tactics, and sometimes retreat to counter the firepower disparity. In my games, firepower is not so much an issue as what you do with it.
Glyph
You should definitely run two separate campaigns. You run a gritty campaign with lots of house rules. He runs "by the book" but very munchkinish (at least going solely by your descriptions). I don't see those two campaign styles as being compatible at all.

I have mixed feelings on that house rule. On the one hand, it's your game and your rules. But on the other hand, as Dice pointed out, it is unfair to certain players who are being singled out for penalties. And increasing Drain affects PCs (who have to get through an entire run) more than it affects NPCs (guards or whatnot who generally only have to worry about getting through that encounter). It doesn't make spells easier to resist or less powerful; it only makes the mage run out of gas earlier.

This guy has no business disrupting your game to argue with you, though. That kind of discussion should wait until after the game.
FrostyNSO
We have tried the two campaign thing but it just doesn't seem to work. The players in our group have never really bounced between characters very much and when they have have gotten bored of one or the other (eventually both) due to the lack of continuity.

I rarely have one of my mages 'run out of gas' in the middle of a run. Like I said, most of them take no drain anyways, but when a character unleashes a particularly devastating, area-effect spell, I think it should involve a little more risk. Also, when the mages wipe out all the opposition without anyone else getting to fire a shot, everyone else tends to get a little bummed out from not getting to get in on the action, especially the combat-types.

I would just like for the mages to be a little more conciencious (spellcheck?) with their spellcasting, otherwise I have to start throwing mages at them every run and it starts to get contrived.
shadd4d
I'd ask how the mages got this powerful. 1) Maybe you and he should set up some common guidelines between runs, such as growth expectations of characters. Part of this makes me want to say just start over fresh.

There used to be a thread about how to hose mages, using a combos of things. Drones are usually useful, but so are smart tactics that just about any starting mage can pull off.

2) There are other countermeasures. Maybe it might be time to consider gas traps. Background counts are also an idea. High powered runs to places like the SOX or other corp facilities in toxic areas with mana warps.

Just what do the characters actually have? 10-12 spells at force 12? Willpowers of 8+? If so, how did they get there? Do they use a lot of foci? If so, enforce focus addiction if you don't already. Lots of quickened spells? Use lots of wards and other astral barriers. Have watchers attack the spells. Astral mages taking down the spells supported with packs of watchers. A mage feels the spell go down and switches to the astral and gets streetcarred by the watchers (yes, I do know what a streetcar means per Gulag Archipelago).

I think there are other solutions, but could you provide some more information? OTOH, I don't want to end up suggesting things that only seem to run the course of how to screw the magic users and not other players.

Don

Dice
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I rarely have one of my mages 'run out of gas' in the middle of a run. Like I said, most of them take no drain anyways, but when a character unleashes a particularly devastating, area-effect spell, I think it should involve a little more risk. Also, when the mages wipe out all the opposition without anyone else getting to fire a shot, everyone else tends to get a little bummed out from not getting to get in on the action, especially the combat-types.

I would just like for the mages to be a little more conciencious (spellcheck?) with their spellcasting, otherwise I have to start throwing mages at them every run and it starts to get contrived.

Ok, so if you have problems with specific spells or categories of spells being overpowered then adjust them rather than changing the way all spells work. A lot of those spells with have specific notes regarding drain anyway, rather than just being a blanket half-force, which should balance them.

And how does it get contrived to have mages or spirits as a challenge for the PC mage to deal with? Ok, small Mom-n-Pop corps might not have any magical security, but there are plenty of places where it is appropriate. It's not as if *every* run needs to have magical opposition... indeed not *every* run need include combat, or rigging, or decking either.

Send them on some 'no-one must even suspect you were in there' type runs, or 'no casualties/damage' runs, and see how they cope. Let them see that Stealth and Illusion can be as useful as guns and toxic waves...
FrostyNSO
Most of the problem is not so much the power of the mages, they have multiple lvl 5-6 spells, 6 willpower, 6 sorcery.
But the power of the other characters. They are for the most part, talkers and thinkers. They can mix it up, but not nearly on the scale the mages can. The toughest guy (besides the mages) is pretty well skilled and beefy, but with only natuaral attributes, almost no cyberware, no magic. The machineguns and monowhips belong to the mages ( i don't know all the details) who I suspect used their magic to aquire those toys.

All the players like to mix it up a bit but if the opposition is a challenge for the normal characters, they're cake for the mages. If the mages get a challenge, the rest of the team is easily hosed.
I've tried to fix this by splitting up the team, but that get's a little older everytime you do it.

I have 'screwed' the other players by doing stuff like 'automatic weapons fire and explosions draw a little more attention from lonestar' or 'carrying that high-powered cyberdeck through the crimemall gets unwanted attention'

I am just having a lot of trouble with things like 'Toxic wave the whole bar, Toxic wave the cops when they appear, Toxic wave the magical reinforcements' This stuff can be dealt with but sometimes it's hard to do without killing the other characters in the proccess. I have tried suggesting that they get on their comrades for bringing trouble down on their heads, which they do, but the mages don't seem to care. I've tried talking to these guys (who I've known for years upon years so I wouldn't want to ask them to walk) but they only seem to tone it down if they take a box of stun and then they panic and retreat.
shadd4d
They're not too powerful (high force is in the upwards of 9-10, but it's a question of perspective).

Besides, the mages are leaving behind astral signatures. At some point, Lone Star will have samples of it, preserved, and try ritual magic to kill or stun the mages. If they've killed cops, then they're already death penalty cases. They'll be needing plastic surgery real soon, but a doc can always sell them out if they're worth it.

Besides, from what you're saying, they roll 6+ dice for casting and then 6+ for drain. Have they thought about spell defense? What happens when another mage does spell defense or takes the opportunity to take down one of the other people? Or what happens when they are influenced or control emotions by someone else? There are some other options. Enforce the consequences.

If they are going first using sustained or foci, then you can attack the spell or the focus and then hit them when they astrally percieve. That will hurt.

What's the drain on toxic wave? Something like (F/2 + 2)+1, I think. That's at least a drain of 7D if cast at deadly.

Something is going on, I just can't put my finger on it.

Don
FrostyNSO
One of the problems is also that if I say ok, half-force, and an NPC unleashes a toxic wave and takes no drain everyone has a fit.

The stealth runs work pretty well, we just did an 'undercover' run, but it didn't stop the mages.

These guys (before the run) influenced a bunch of people on the street to give them their credsticks. Their sketches appeared on the news and when a lonestar patrol spotted them, they toxic waved it. (took light drain, then ran away to the barrens)

The rest of the team did great and role-played their way out when things got complicated ( i think mostly because the mages weren't there at the time)

Maybe contrived wasn't the right word for what I meant earlier. Magic is supposed to be rare, so like was said a lot of mom and pop corps don't have access to it. Our runners have been taking street-oriented runs, doing a lot of work for the little guy, and I don't want the team to think that the streets are loaded with mages.

I'm going to try and ramp up into something higher powered by bringing in some vampires (hopefully this doesn't suck) with a decent mage for a leader.

From what I've been getting back, my problem is probably mostly with the players rather than the system.

Maybe I can make area-effect spells use the full force for drain? Or will that inhibit the mages too much?

FrostyNSO
I'm going to give that vampire mage 'reflecting' and hopefully that will solve some things.

The astral signiture thing is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I wasn't aware they could use that in ritual sorcery. I will try that and see how things go, thanks.
shadd4d
I think it's a player problem than system (this now presents the question if the guy at the beginning is playing one of the mages...oh the implications).

One basic rule we all tend to forget or wish we could forget is that if a PC can do it, so can an NPC. If they throw a fit, bring out the NPC Mages stats if you've got them (actually, that should really bust their bubble right there, esp. if you're using the NPC rules from the Companion). It's also not that hard to understand. If they got toxic waved by an enemy mage who takes no drain, well...take it like a man (no sexism meant, btw).

I think it might be a problem to discuss outside the game and see what is going on.

The vampires sound interesting. High enough to pulls some strings but also low enough to be believable theats.

There's a lot that can really mess with a mage's day, like visibility, fog, and other things. The kill the mage first tactic is always sound, even if it doesn't work. It does scary the players. Then again, I also tend to run in a style, if the players don't consider things...I don't have to consider their survivability (probably due to playing a lot of Savage Worlds and Deadlands, I suspect).

Don
shadd4d
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I'm going to give that vampire mage 'reflecting' and hopefully that will solve some things.

The astral signiture thing is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I wasn't aware they could use that in ritual sorcery. I will try that and see how things go, thanks.

It's also not far fetched that it could also be used for sympathetic magic. And I'd imagine Lone Star would, if they didn't have people who could do it (which they most likely do), would not be opposed to turning to the shadows and hiring someone who could, probably giving them a "get out of jail free card" or "oh, sorry, we lost the files on the .... Cases, now don't get caught again."

Don
FrostyNSO
I am convinced it is a player problem now. For the most part the group is good with considering the consequences of their actions, but the mages are just wild cards, man.
Sometimes, the guy I was talking about before will play a mage, more times than not actually, but he switches characters like the wind blows so I never really thought of it as much of a problem.
Dice
Ok, lets assume your mage has Toxic Wave at Force 6, Has Intelligence 6, Willpower 6, Magic 6, Sorcery 6, and a spell pool of 6.

He goes to cast TW at Force 6, Damage D. As its an elemental manipulation AE spell, he rolls Sorcery + Spell pool against a TN of 4 + cover visibility etc as if it were ranged combat. Lets say its a Shadowrunner Bar thats a bit dark, and most patrons being sat at tables etc will have some cover, say +2 for the light and +2 for the cover (for most patrons, there will be some with less cover, some with more). So our mage is looking at 8's to hit.

He will also be resisting drain of 8D himself, the drain code for TW being +1(damage level +2), and per p191 in the BBB "If a modifier wpuld increase the Drain Level above Deadly, add +2 to the Drain Power instead for each level above Deadly"

So his drain is 6/2 = 3 +1, +4 (for the D+2 levels).

If he casts at a lower damage level his drain will be Light 4S, Medium 4D, Serious 6D.

Lets say he splits his spell pool between casting and drain, so 3 on each... He's rolling 9 dice looking for 8's to hit... probably will get 1 net success, maybe 2 with a decent roll. If he rolls *really* well he might get 3. The same applies for his drain resistance.... 9 dice looking for 8's... with a good roll he'll only be seriously stunned and not unconcious with deadly stun...

And the people whom he affected? they are rolling combat pool to dodge looking for 4's, then body and combat pool to resist looking for 6- (half impact (round down)). There is a fair chance that many patrons will dodge out of the way by getting as many successes on their dodge test as the mage did on his attack), and a decent chance for many of them to resist down to serious or even moderate or less if there are trolls or orks there.

He'd probably have been bettr off just throwing a grenade in... would do as much damage (or more) to those inside, plus not hurt the mage... and the legal attention he attracts will hardly be any less than for dissolving a bar full of people...
TinkerGnome
You know, personally, I have no objections to the house rules. There are a lot of ways to balance mages, a lot of them aren't convenient for some games, so something like this should work fine since you're obvioulsy applying it across PCs and NPCs. If it works for your game, then stick with it.

Honestly, that looks like a minor issue when you consider the free access to delta clinics and millions of nuyen. First of all, you might find that this game is no longer yours. Having another GM run the main characters through your game world can be done, but not without ground rules. This guy obviously isn't playing by any, and it's probably intentional. It's not like it'd take much to figure out "Hey, I've been playing this campaign for x years, the rewards tend to be y and z for a run".

Personally, what I would do is start a new game just for you to run (with no outside GMs). Make it a Bug City game or the like where you could take a bad situation and stick characters in it and justify the break between games.

The other choice is to battle the other GM directly. With him being there every week and you only once a month, you'll be at a significant disadvantage.
Cain
<puts on nitpicker hat>
Sorry Dice, but the bystanders will be rolling against an elevated TN to dodge. The FAQ suggests at least a +2.
RangerJoe
This is what gets me:

The machineguns and monowhips belong to the mages ( i don't know all the details) who I suspect used their magic to aquire those toys.

Now, that sounds like a problem that solves itself. Unless you've got whips/MFW 5/7 as a starting character (unlikely for a mage) with some serious combat pool, sooner or later you're going to bungle up and get mixed up with the business end of the monowhip. dead.gif

As soon as a PC starts waving around an MFW, have your intrepid NPCs engage in a full-defense action (I sure as heck know I would if some loony was swinging a 2 meter string of doom at me). Doing so, the "your monowhip-fu is weak" rules come into play:

If an attack misses soley because the target successfully dodges, using Full Defense (see page 123), the attacker risks being hit by the whip. When this occurs, make a seperate Whip test against a target number 6. If the test yeilds no successes, the attacker is struck by his own whip. p 121

Now, we've got mages making these tests. Throw in wound modifiers or +2 for a sustained spell sans focus, and suddenly swinging around that snazzy new toy seems like a less than wise idea.

As the old adage goes: Anything a GM can give, he can also take away... like your character's right arm....
Dice
QUOTE (Cain)
<puts on nitpicker hat>
Sorry Dice, but the bystanders will be rolling against an elevated TN to dodge. The FAQ suggests at least a +2.

True, I forgot that.

The targets are still rolling against smaller task numbers to resist the damage than the Mage is, and they are on the same damage level...

And if the mage wants to actually do more than annoy those he's trying to dissolve he will need to be using almost all his spell pool on resisting drain so as not to hurt himself more than the targets, so reducing number of likely successes...

If he casts at Medium damage he is looking at 4D... 6 Willpower and 6 Spell pool on the drain test will on average result in 6 successes (12 dice looking for 4's) for a net Light Stun. Of course he's now only rolling 6 dice looking for 8's to affect his targets in the dimly lit bar behind tables etc, so probably will only get one success on them, so even if all the targets only put 1 combat pool into dodging, one in 6 at least will be unscathed, and the rest will only be on moderate or light.

If he tries for Serious damage then 12 dice on the drain resistance will only net 2 successes on average, leaving the mage on a serious stun... He's still looking for 8's to affect his targets, and they still probably need only one 6 on a dodge test to evade it.

The point I'm trying to make is that trying to take targets out in one shot using Toxic Wave is already likely to cripple the typical player mage, even using half the base force as the base drain... if you used full force it becomes pointless even to try (and that applies to almost any combat AE spell)

At full force the drain for L, M, S, D would be 7S, 7D, 9D and 11D resprctively at force 6. Using all you willpower and spell pool for drain will probably result in Moderate stun, if you cast a light , Serious stun for a Moderate, a distinct chance of Deadly stun for a Serious, and almost certain Deadly stun for casting a Deadly... seems this house rule is a way for mages to commit suicide...

Any house rule that see's the mage take more damage on average than his target, even after using all his spell pool to resist drain, seems incredibly unbalanced to me.

If you are already going to attract Lone Star attention from autofire or explosives use, then why doesn't the threat of similar attention equally apply to excessive use of Illegal (and obvious) magic use. Any spell over force 2 is Illegal, and at the end of the day Stunball is probably more effective than Toxic Wave and is less likely to get you done for Murder, plus it's less damaging to any items in the AE that the runners may want to acquire (computers, guns, armour, credsticks, wallets, jewellry, datachips, etc, etc).

Like I say, the mage may as well throw a grenade at no risk of drain, and will still only attract about the same amount of Lonestar interest as a Fireball or Toxic Wave will.
Cain
And if the mage wants to actually do more than annoy those he's trying to dissolve he will need to be using almost all his spell pool on resisting drain so as not to hurt himself more than the targets, so reducing number of likely successes...

This, of course, presumes that the mages don't know to spend two actions aiming, or to use the Enhance Aim spell. These two tricks are what makes AoE EM spells worthwhile.

Otherwise, you're absolutely correct. Even at half force base, the Drain on any AoE EM spell is absolutely hideous. Repeated Toxic Waves are not really an issue with that in mind.

Since the player in question is apparently the problem, all Frosty has to do is strictly enforce the Drain rules. I guarantee you, he'll be taking that damage fairly often. And even if the player knows about some of the Dumpshock dirty tricks (like a trauma dampner) he can be countered with some simple canon rules (the FAQ restriction on cultured bioware).
TheScamp

Well, there's also the secondary effects, which at damage level D are going to be quite impressive. Even a poor roll is going to affect (ie melt) highly advanced/processed objects. Not to mention the target number modifiers, the treacherous ground, etc. Not too bad for a wee bit of stun.

seems this house rule is a way for mages to commit suicide...

Maybe, if they insist on tossing about force 6 Elemental Manipulations at every turn.

I'd just like to note that the "force as drain" idea is actually a suggestion in the SR2 book for people who find magic a little too powerful for their campaign. Personally, I think it's great, as in my experience mages tend to be far crazier in power level than their mundane counterparts.
Kurukami
Ah, you mean the cultured bioware that they would typically be able to acquire given that they were given access to a delta-grade clinic?

I'm going to have to agree with Frosty. It does sound very much like munchkiny players, but mages have by far been seriously amped up with the half-Force rule. A starting mage might not have quite that ability, but with a tiny bit of karma (and Initiation) they can easily wipe out nearly all opposition with no trouble.

As for penalties, good luck. Unless they're fighting completely in the dark, any metahuman sight bonus will lessen or negate that problem -- and with natural low-light vision available as an Edge pretty cheaply, who wouldn't take it?

Besides which, who bothers to cast things at D-damage? Cast it at S, stage up with successes, spend a Karma Pool point to reroll any failures if it's really necessary... poof, instant toxic sludge where once there were bargoers.

I heartily approve of the full-force drain house rule.
RedmondLarry
FrostyNSO, you clearly have a 'people' problem. That's your biggest problem, as others have said. I have often shared a campaign with other GMs, but we agree ahead of time to use the same rules, to jointly agree on house rules, and to jointly set standards for nuyen and karma awards. This works particularly well when there are an odd number of GMs, because we avoid ties when voting. Your "by the book" GM is deliberately challenging your authority and does not sound like someone willing to share a campaign.

I love the earlier suggestion to set up a campaign in Bug City. Other places, like Denver and California might also be good. Print out your rule differences for your players, to remove some of the confusion in playing with different rules during different weeks. Or even play with his rules, to make it easier for your players, but do it in your campaign.

Don't make negative comments about his campaign. Make yours gritty and challenging, where the risk of character death is always present.

Your adjustment to Drain is one that was suggested by FASA years ago for a campaign where magic is toned down. In a game with little cyberware, bioware, or riggers, magic will be overpowering unless it is toned down.

In our campaign, we have chosen to have no more than two PC magicians on a run. This has made it easier for our GMs to create the right level of opposition for us.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain)

This, of course, presumes that the mages don't know to spend two actions aiming, or to use the Enhance Aim spell. These two tricks are what makes AoE EM spells worthwhile.

The aiming thing is not quite kosher, but I guess some people are cool with it. A better trick, however, is to simply center the spell on something without cover and low-light modifiers (like a neon beer sign). That'll bring you back to 4 real quick.
Moon-Hawk
It seems to me that the other GM is trying to make the players like him more. You said yourself that everyone preferred it when you GM, and he obviously knows this as well as you do. You gave him an inferiority complex with your "1337 GM 5ki11z".
Two GMs in one campaign isn't going to work with this group. You need to run two campaigns, or someone needs to stop GMing.
These characters seriously need some consequences. You said they considered the consequences of their actions, except for the mages, but are there any consequences for the mages? Are there stories on the news every night about how the psycho-killer is still on the loose? The one with magical powers who slaughters people by the dozen? The cop killer that every Lone Star officer has a hard-on to personally geek? Are their contacts leaving them high and dry because they're too hot to handle? Are there ANY consequences?
Of course, on the other hand, if you start doing that then you're even more the "bad guy meanie poo-head GM".
For the record, I've never found half-force magicians problematic, but I'm not going to give you any drek about house-rules that your group agrees on.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

These guys (before the run) influenced a bunch of people on the street to give them their credsticks. Their sketches appeared on the news and when a lonestar patrol spotted them, they toxic waved it. (took light drain, then ran away to the barrens)

You also need to check up on the vehicle rules some. What did the LS patrol drive?
A standard Lone Star Americar has a Body of 3 and Armor of 3, meaning even a force 6 toxic wave wouldn't do crap to it except ruin the paint job, as elemental effect spells are subject to the damage reduction rules of vehicles. Even the secondary effects might not do much having to get an 8 or higher on a 2D6 roll to beat the object resistance of the vehicle.
Dice
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 9 2004, 01:12 AM)

The aiming thing is not quite kosher, but I guess some people are cool with it. A better trick, however, is to simply center the spell on something without cover and low-light modifiers (like a neon beer sign). That'll bring you back to 4 real quick.

Uhhh, you compare your rolled dice against the target number for *each* target in the AE... so sure your Neon Sign gets hit, but the guy in the booth beyond that pillar is unscathed
FrostyNSO
The lone star vehical was fine (relatively), it was the officers that melted =)

These mages are on the news constantly, but have limited their operations to the payallup barrens for the moment to partially avoid that.

The dudes don't use their contacts because nobody will even speak to them.

Random people on the street have tipped off the cops, bounty-hunting teams have tried to apprehend them. They're damn creative players, but I think I might have to off the whole team (make it the mages' fault) to teach them a lesson.

I am going to see about running a seperate campaign. Does anybody know where to find good information on bug city on the net?
BitBasher
Just Buy the Bug CIty Book. Buying those sourcebooks is how the game keeps going.
GrinderTheTroll
We had this problem for a while too, some GM's would be too liberal, others too stingy, left us with an interesting mess of over/under-powered PCs at times, as well as some jealous folks too (this is rather a general statement that extended into the other dozen RPGs we all played too).

We decided that each player would have separate characters under each GM, subject to the rules from each GM. Sounds like a cop out, but it made for interesting "cross-over" type campaign hooks like in the Comic books, players loved to be the "cross-over" hero. Also gave folks a chance to try out different characters and different personas.

One example that springs to mind, was when I was gone for most of the summer to come back and find a Samurai with "Edge Weapons 15" who had done nothing more than bar-brawls...viva la Karma!

Good-luck!
Zazen
QUOTE (Dice)
Uhhh, you compare your rolled dice against the target number for *each* target in the AE... so sure your Neon Sign gets hit, but the guy in the booth beyond that pillar is unscathed

No shit, I never noticed that before. That's quite a hassle.

I guess if the GM is being reasonable then it's still an advantage, because I don't see applying visibility modifiers to anything other than the center of the spell and cover should naturally be calculated from the point of impact.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Buying those sourcebooks is how the game keeps going.

Well, not the old out-of-print ones. Don't get me wrong, still buy the book legally, but buying the book off of eBay doesn't directly affect FanPro or the remains of FASA.

~J
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Aug 9 2004, 11:52 AM)
Buying those sourcebooks is how the game keeps going.

Well, not the old out-of-print ones. Don't get me wrong, still buy the book legally, but buying the book off of eBay doesn't directly affect FanPro or the remains of FASA.

~J

Eeeh can't argue with that... I just like supporting the ownership of official products biggrin.gif
TinkerGnome
Secondary markets are a weird fish in that you're adding intrinsic value to books by having a resale market which may or may not have an indirect effect on new book sales. I'm sure you're already aware of that, though wink.gif

In any case, we did this once with my group and it worked fairly well. There were 5 players and everyone ran a game (we alternated). The rewards were standardized by group vote (something like 5k and 4 karma per game) and big stuff got approved by the group as a whole. In the end, it worked out fine as long as it lasted, since everyone had a say in rewards, pacing, etc.

This is a different scenario entirely, though.
the_dunner
Just one other thought on how to mess with these casters.

Aside from the fact that they're cop killers, there's another potential price on their head.

The Draco Foundation has a 1M Nuyen bounty on any toxic shamans. If these guys are throwing toxic waves all over the place, it seems likely that a group of underinformed shadowrunners/gangers might want to collect it... Two Million nuyen for the pair of 'em could inspire quite a hunt.
Ol' Scratch
Toxic Shamans and the Toxic Wave spell are two completely different and unrelated things. Toxic Wave is the name of an area-effect Elemental Manipulation spell that uses the Acid elemental effect. Toxic Shamans are insane magicians who wish to contaminate the world (and yes, I know that's a grossly simplified take on them).

The Draco Foundation won't be paying a bounty for any magician casting Toxic Wave unless they also happen to be a Toxic Shaman (or a Blood Shaman, or an Insect Shaman, or anyone else they offer a bounty for).
Austere Emancipator
I think with "underinformed shadowrunners/gangers" the_dunner meant people who would not understand that difference, Dr Funkenstein. Although people so clueless would probably not pose a huge threat to these guys.
Kagetenshi
Obviously. But given that people managed to interpret parts of the bible to say that all Jews had horns, I'd say some people could easily mistake people casting acid around for toxic shamans.

~J
Lucyfersam
Lone Star's response to mages like this should be simple: SWAT team snipers. Your mages have earned themselves a death sentence, and probably have no SIN, so there need be no legal crap about just killing them. Lone Star should take the tips being given them, track the team, and snipe them without the mages ever knowing they are there (as even if the mages keep up an extended range detect enemies spell at all times, it is trivial for a sniper to be outside that range). BANG BANG, two dead mages who never knew what hit them, and no more dead cops. Magic is powerful, but it can not solve everything. Alternatively if you want to give them the illusion they can save themselves and let them throw all the magic they want at their imminent demise, send a Banshee. The team need never need exit the Banshee as it is quite well armed, and no spell will stand even the remotest chance of affecting it. There are plenty of physical ways to deal with mages who don't seem to comprehend the idea that magic does not make you god, and using it rampantly will get you hunted down just as fast as waltzing through downtown with a heavy machine gun mowing people down.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I think with "underinformed shadowrunners/gangers" the_dunner meant people who would not understand that difference, Dr Funkenstein. Although people so clueless would probably not pose a huge threat to these guys.

Make it a gang of Orks and Trolls, looking to divide the money between them and move their gang out of the Barrens (or become the Kings of their neighborhood). Maybe their leader is an adept with powers tailored to resit magic? (Magic Resistance and Iron Will, coupled with the Magic Resistance Edge - add Distance Strike for a surprise attack or two grinbig.gif )

The leader is smart and has seen the sketches you mentioned, figures his gang of (insert suitable numbers here) can lay down an ambush. He sacrifices a bunch of gangers he doesn't like for the first wave attack, then has the rest of the gang attack on held actions after the mages take down the primary opposition. Fancy tactics for a ganger, but hey - maybe he's the son of a spec forces soldier who was discharged when he goblinized and taught his family military tactics to survive the harsh world of the barrens.
Eyeless Blond
On another note, rather than forcing mages to deal with full-Force drain and having them whine about it, you might try being very stingy about Magic Loss checks. Wounds, healing without proper treatment, stim patch usage, focus addiction, there's lots of ways for mages to be making checks all the time, especially if the cops and security are geeking them properly (and they certainly should be; these guys are public enemy number 1&2 now; their faces should be circulating on UCAS's Most Wanted and everything). Shamans are particularly easy to pinch this way: just have the totem make a request of the shaman that he naturally won't agree to, and have him check for Magic Loss if he goes against his spiritual guide. For instance, most nature-based totems would protest a shaman killing things that he doesn't intend to eat.

In normal games I think it makes sense to force a check for Magic loss at a minimum of once per initiation. In this case you should probably try for more.
FrostyNSO
I don't want to snipe the guys or throw a banshee at them. I think I'd really like to see them get "bitched down".

What I think I'm going to do is throw in a VERY powerful mage that will not like 'his art' being so horribly depicted on the evening news. He'll find the mages and (I think this ought to work, from what I've seen) when they toxic wave him (oh yes, I know it will happen), he's going to reflect it right back at them.

Assuming they don't completely melt, he'll drop them off at lonestar, decline the bounty, and suggest some invasive surgery or what-not to hinder their magic ability (they do have SIN's but they have HIGH-level forged ones thanks to the other GM). Not that it will matter since they will be wearing mage-masks for the rest of their natural lives (or until they get the chair).

Any comments/ideas?
Shockwave_IIc
Could have him absorb it and throw a bigger one back at them.....but that might just reinforce their mind set though
Dax
I don't really know why you continue to screw around with these guys. If they were in my game, I would do many, many horrible things to them.

Little Mr. Free Delta Clinic, I would inform him point blank that he needs to run his own campaign, or find a new group to sling dice with. That kinda stuff is real crap, and I would have a Zero Tolerance policy in effect for stuff like that.

Das uber mages? I would have Lonestar and every damn Corp in the city on these guy's tail. I would also make it a 24 hour affair, so that the characters would never even be able to go to sleep at night without having to wonder if tonight is the night they're gonna get caught. I don't care if they're hiding in the depths of Pallyup. There is no place you can run on the planet where the Megacorporations can't find you. Period. It's time to teach them a very harsh lesson about this fact.

If anything I'd just drop the velvet glove and come down on them with the iron guantlet for a change.
Eyeless Blond
I'm just surprised that these people *trust* this little "free" delta clinic. I mean, honestly, how many delta-level clinics are there in the world? Like 4 or 5? The number of ulterior motives this "free" delta clinic must have for taking on these little nobody runners from Podunk, UCAS would make even the most trusting idiot suspicous. Same goes for the rest of this funny little black-MegalloMart they have access to.

You wanna screw with the players? Fine:

1) Everyone who's gone under the knife at this delta clinic now has at least one area-effect cranial bomb or other failsafe installed for each time he went under, and each by a different big-time corp or crime syndicate. Each of them requires regular "favors".
2) Those "HIGH-rating" SIDs are indeed high-rated SIDs. This means they come from some very powerful hacker/Otaku group, one that has the same (or better) ability to hide their own tracks, who can just as easily take away everything the runners own. More hooks, and more ways to screw players who try to take advantage of "free" stuff.
3) Those mages no doubt initiated with a group. Have their group kick them out for drawing too much attention to themselves.
(Edit): 3.5) The ultra-powerful foci/spell formulae/fetishes/other magical gear that your ultra-mages have came, er, "secondhand" from a Great Dragon, megacorp, or very powerful mage who probably wants them back. This one comes dangerously close to railroading, though, so be careful if/when you pull it.
4) The police/public/bounty hunter/rival shadowrunner teams/corps from the past that have already been mentioned.

What I'm getting at here is: don't railroad your players. If you have something come completely out of left field and smash them into the ground, your players will accuse you--quite rightly--of unfairly crushing them. All this does is turn the game into Players Vs. GM, which inevitably ends in hurt feelings and a broken game.

The trick here, the difference between teaching your players a lesson or fighting with them, is this: Don't try to beat them; try to teach them. Enforce the consequences of their actions, hurt them when they don't do enough background checking or aren't paranoid or careful enough, drag things up from their near or distant past. But whatever you do, don't arbitrarily crush them under the heel of someone/something they have never seen or even heard of before. They should be thinking to themselves, "D'oh! I should have thought of that!" and not, "Where the hell did that come from?"
The Question Man
Geek the Mage first!!!
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I mean, honestly, how many delta-level clinics are there in the world? Like 4 or 5?

Not that it's all that relevent to the thread, but i thought it's was more then that, 4-5 Delta clinics that are cybermancy capable.

But back to the main topic.
If your players are using the same characters in both games (as it seems) i personally would ask them to either
A, Go back and start playing with pre delta clinic access (Why oh why, does this guy have no idea on how the "backstory" works).
B, Or get them to start new character soley for your game.

The reasons for this is simple, the other Gm's effect on what was essentionally your game has spoilt your fun, the whole game is based on people having fun (Including the GM), perhaps you should bring this up.
The White Dwarf
Just give up on the magic thing its not that overpowering. Once you realize that hey, magic can be easy to cast with xyz stats, you can realize that hey, magic can be easy to resist with abc stats. Its the rule, if they all want to play by it let them, just intelligently apply the rest of the rules (los tn mods, drain, sustaining penalties, resistance checks, etc) and itll work out.

As for the rest, it can be debunked by simply showing the idiot in question some other books. Show him the baseline pay rates from SRComp, and that his payscale isnt by the book. Show him the availability mods for delta, and the tns/process to locate one from M&M, and how having it in a freaking mall is rather not by the book. Show him the availability on AV rounds, and figure out how many months it would take to get even 1000, let alone 1000s, and how thats not by the book. Make him read some of the flavor text.

He may have the "i follow the rules" thing making him seem like an authority, but if you simply point out the black and white text evidence that hes screwing up as much as hes fixing, people should at least be willing to come to a logical compromise.

Failing that, just wait a month till people are bored as all hell with playing invincible super characters and want to play a real game.
JaronK
Something to consider: This guy was one of your players, and all your other players went along with it. The first thing he did was to pull back the restrictions on things and power up the characters with loads of toys. It seems to me that this may have been a reaction to your playstyle... perhaps you should have a sit down talk with your players? Maybe they want a game where gear and money and power come to them a little quicker. Not so quick as that guy gave it, but a bit faster. Talk with your players and figure this out with them. Yes, free Delta Clinics are silly, but what were you giving them before this? Tone the game to what they want, and it'll be better for all.

JaronK
Lucyfersam
Delta clinics are insanely hard to find, and there are rules for doing so. M&M pp.54 lists the 5 known non-mega or government run clinics, and I guarantee that none of them are in a mall. Target numbers for finding a clinic capable of delta work is in M&M pp. 143, for reference, the lowest target number the could theoretically get is 11. Also, the 5 clinics mentioned don't manage to exist without some serious backing, so having some backlash from the high ups funding the clinic if the players wander around making massive targets of themselves is not unreasonable. The 'ware in them might be able to be traced back, and that's bad for business.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012