Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheap, free spells?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cold-Dragon
I noticed that, if you go and take something like exclusive or feitsh for a lvl 2 or 1 spell (respectively) You could effectively have all the spells on the list free (excluding the ones you want at higher levels).

Yes, it IS cheap, but they'd only work in special circumstance and at weakling level. (and in case you think otherwise, I'm the storyteller guy). How absurd would you call that? or would you say it's not neccessarily absurd? To my knowledge there's nothing specific denying you the option (though I have to re-read most of the book so far, so I could have missed it), and if you want the spell at respectable level, you'd have to relearn it anyways.

So, what say you all?
Kanada Ten
Been discussed, twice even. However, it is also covered in the FAQ. Apparently not covered in the FAQ, but Rob has answered saying "Some GMs will say no, but I think a few 'Cantrips' are ok."
Cold-Dragon
*ahhs, and erfs* guess I should have done a search. thanks
Kanada Ten
Try this thread.
Fonitrus
Cheap? do u mean gamewise cheap way to learmn spells or do u mean cheap as in 'exploiting rules to get things done your way'.

(casting with fetish)
Force 1 spell cast with fetish is by rules Force 0 in terms for drain.
However since no target number ingame can be lower than 2 the drain code is still TN2.

(learning with fetish)
as for learning a Force 1 spell with a fetish the base TN of 2 (force x 2) is still TN2 iregardless ofthe fetish.
the usual cost would be 1 karma but fetish drops this to lvl0..now there is no such thing as free lunch in shadowrun so u still pay 1 karma.

there is only few (easily available to a mage at chargen) spells that most people dont take past lvl1...but most other spell you would be a fool to take at lvl1 (eg armour, phys barier, etc etc)

now since u cannot use fetish or exclusive at chargen to reduce the cost of the spell most people chose either to play unlimited or fetish-limit powerfull spells for drain...force 6 yes..force 5 waste...force 4 yes..force 3 waste..force 2 yes...u get the idea....
fetish limiting force 7 is also a waste but fetish limiting lvl 8 spells is great...

thats what i think anyway...
Ol' Scratch
I've always allowed them, but then again I tend to play with reasonable players who don't try to abuse the rules. While you can say you start the game knowing every spell in the game with both a Fetish and Exclusive limitation (then only bother buying the fetishes for the spells you plan to use), that's just lame and any sensible GM would smack the player upside the head.

But then again the same is true if you start the game with a character with the Connected (Biotech) edge and 2,000 Trauma Patches (SI 4), then proceeds to spend the first ten minutes of game time selling and buying them a few dozen times over to the same contact. The rules allow it, and the rules allow him to net a huge fortune doing so; roughly a net gain of 1,000,000 nuyen per trade, not including any boosts due to Negotiations or other abuses of the rules.

Does that mean players shouldn't be able to buy or sell Trauma Patches or have the Connected (Biotech) edge? No. It means GMs should smack players upside the head for abusing the game.

When designing a magician, I typically pick about (Magic Attribute) number of free "cantrips" for the character whether PC or NPC. I consider them minor utilitarian spells that any magician would likely have learned if given the opportunity. Spells like Healthy Glow, Detox, Fashion, Makeover, and Create Food are other spells along those lines are the ones I usually pick.
Cain
As others have pointed out, there's no rule prohibiting it. However, unlike what Doc may have accidentally implied, you cannot both fetish- and exclusive- limit a spell for cost; and there's no real reason to take both on a "cantrip"-- generally, the drain will be negligiable to begin with.

The only place where this might become a problem is the famous Force 1 Increase Reflexes +3, taken with fetish for cost and with a sustaining focus. Given the costs involved, however, I don't find it to be an excessive problem.
Ol' Scratch
Yes you can, though I admit I didn't clarify in my last post. I meant you learn all spells at Force 1 with a Fetish limitation, and then learn them all again at Force 2 with the Exclusive limitation (and hell, why not, learn them all again at Force 2 with Exclusive for cost and Fetish for drain). That's what I was referring to, not a Force 3 spell reduced to 0 Karma for cost.
Glyph
I would disallow zero-cost spells on general principle, but I don't think it's game-breaking if a GM allows a few "cantrips". There are all kinds of technically legal ways to create a broken or cheesy character - that's why GM approval is the final step in character creation.

Fonitrus: Actually, you can start out with spells that have the fetish or exclusive modifier for lowered cost. Look on page 60 of the main rulebook, where they use purchasing spells for the Combat Mage archetype as an example.
lacemaker
I would disallow it for the following reasons:

First, because using the loophole reasonably relies on some kind of unspoken understanding between players and GM as to what a fair quantity of "free" spells is - that will be hard to maintain and make it hard to treat all players equally. Gradually numbers of free spell will sneak upwards.

Second, because low force spells aren't a very close analouge for low level spells in other systems. Low force spells can actually be quite powerful and useful, and there's nothing about the proposal that limits it to flavour-adding "utility" type spells like healthy glow.

The third is a bit more idiosyncratic; even in a situation like that Doc Funk describes, where this rule is just used to add a small quantity of "low power" (as well as low force) spells to the standard character I think it tends to have an impact on game tone. I tend to think character features that are paid for tend to be valued higher and play more of a role in character conception that those that come for free. By handing out fashion and lifestyle spells out as standard (in effect) to every magical character you remove them as a meaningful character choice - players don't have to say "instead of adding an area effect attack spell I'm going to pick up some spells that will add to my character's style and come in handy in role playing type situations", instead they build their mage as normal and take the standard allocation of "flavour magic". I think when players don't sacrifice anything to have those abilities they don't value them, and there's no pressure on the GM to incorporate them into the game. I like the idea of a player deciding to focus a chunk of their capabilities on looking good, but it has to be a meaningful choice. This is a highly personal view I know, and with the right group it won't matter - but in my experience it makes a real difference to how characters are designed and played.
JaronK
I think allowing a number of cantrips equal to the mage's sorcery skill, or possibly magic rating, is a great idea. They can work something like knowledge skills do currently... they're not nearly as powerful, but you might as well take them, and you can often find that they help flesh out the character. This way, after you've chosen your serious spells (Force 6 Stunball, Force 6 Treat, etc) you can take 6 or so Cantrips to flesh out the character a bit (a cat shaman might take Fetished Healthy Glow, Exclusive Entertainment, and a few others). The GM could stop you from taking super powerful spells as Cantrips (Improved Reflexes +3 comes to mind there), but otherwise I think it's a nice idea.

JaronK
toturi
I allow any Free spells as such, not only because the rules say you can but also it doesn't have much impact on the game anyway. A Force 2 fireball? OK, so you set that pile of paper on fire, big fragging deal. A Force 2 Heal? Huh? A Force 2 Armour? OK, but what's the point?
tjn
QUOTE (lacemaker)
I like the idea of a player deciding to focus a chunk of their capabilities on looking good, but it has to be a meaningful choice.

The term "a meaningful choice" has a touch more irony then I believe you intended.

What Johnson in his right mind is going to hire a magical beautician as a shadowrunner?

I would applaud anyone who created such a character for having the rping cojones to make a completely uneffective and inefficent character for the sake of concept and story, but in the very next breath I'd also tell that player to try again and then come back to me with a runner that I can work with.

Most of these spells would never be taken outside of pure proof of concept characters if there weren't the "Cantrip" style at creation.

Therefore, in order to create a character that would plausibly run the shadows, spell choice is largely meaningless. There just isn't enough spell points to go around to both select "rpish" spells and still be effective as a runner.

In my mind, at least these spells get to see the light of gameplay as "cantrips." Just make sure the GM has final oversight so it doesn't get out of hand.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi)
I allow any Free spells as such, not only because the rules say you can but also it doesn't have much impact on the game anyway. A Force 2 fireball? OK, so you set that pile of paper on fire, big fragging deal. A Force 2 Heal? Huh? A Force 2 Armour? OK, but what's the point?

Force 1 fetished Improved Invisibility. F1 Improved Reflexes. F1 illusions of nearly any type, IIRC. F2 Heal? Why not? Most people aren't going to get more than two or three successes on the team's sam, if that. It adds a fair amount of capability.

TJN, Fashion can have plenty of uses for a face-type on runs, and Healthy Glow can save your arse when you have to bluff your way past a guard after crawling the sewers for eight hours (or, for that matter, when trying to convince a gang you aren't easy prey despite being badly injured and exhausted).

~J
BitBasher
Force 1 fetished Improved Invisibility
This won't work on any technological devices. Force of the spell has to be half the object OR to affect it. Same with the Illusions.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (BitBasher)
This won't work on any technological devices. Force of the spell has to be half the object OR to affect it. Same with the Illusions.

Yep, but that's a rule that's fairly poorly-understood. Regardless, you take Invis instead of II and ignore non-technological sensors (read as: people and critters) all you want. We're not just fooling cameras here.

~J
Sahandrian
I actually like mages to have a few force 2 exclusive spells, as a player and as a GM. They're rarely worthwhile for anything other than flavor aspects.

I think the best example in my group is a parrot shaman I play when not GMing. She does a lot of things with her hair that would take far too long to be practical normally, like braiding tinsel into her hair. So she has a Force 2 exclusive Makeover spell to handle that.

I don't want to look for her character sheet right now, but I think she had most of the spells DF mentioned as F2 Exclusive, too.
Fonitrus
QUOTE (Glyph)
Fonitrus:  Actually, you can start out with spells that have the fetish or exclusive modifier for lowered cost.  Look on page 60 of the main rulebook, where they  use purchasing spells for the Combat Mage archetype as an example.

I do not care what example they used. In the games I have GMed and played ALL mages (full or groggy) of any persuasion(shaman or hermetic) abuse force 1 spells like there is no tomorow. There are more broken rules concerning Awakened than there are mundane chars (not counting vehicle rules). Why should I allow mages more freedom on loophole exploitation.
In general as a player and as a GM i dislike mages (i have played a mage few times) but they seem to lack consistency in combat power. Or so it seems anytime i have seen mages play in my games and in games i play (not GM).

Sure force1 spells may be weak but there are plenty of 'common mage loadout' spells that are never taken past force 1 that are trully nasty because they depend on amount of successes and not actual force (cause targets attrributes often cannot exceed successes rolled etc etc etc)
So why allow these spells to pass as free?
Not in my game. That is one rule in the game im more than happy to House Rule.
Glyph
Actually, I was agreeing with you on the "freebie" spell part. I was just pointing out that you can take the fetish or exclusive modifiers for spell cost at char-gen. This does NOT imply that you can lower the cost to zero and get "free" spells. It's not specifically prohibited by the rules, but personally I think that's because it should be common sense.
tisoz
QUOTE (BitBasher)

???

You are affecting the person or area the indirect illusion is cast on or around. Since they are resisted by intelligence, the tech device doesn't even get to resist.
Kanada Ten
You are affecting the Targets, which are those that observe the Subject which is whom the spell is cast upon.

Technological devices never resist any spell, but any spell must have a force equal to or higher than half the OR to affect it.

If you really want the Subject to be the Target for Indirect Illusions then the force must be so high to affect their clothing and gear, ect.
Ol' Scratch
These spells always gave me a headache. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
These spells always gave me a headache. smile.gif

Try figuring out the drain on an analgesic spell dead.gif

~J
Kanada Ten
The drain is not too bad as long as you make it an Illusion spell - a Direct Illusion. Although an Indirect Analgesic spell would be cool too. Everyone around the subject is relived of minor aches and pains, or so they think...
GrinderTheTroll
Force 1 fetished Improved Invisibility. F1 Improved Reflexes. F1 illusions of nearly any type, IIRC. F2 Heal? Why not? Most people aren't going to get more than two or three successes on the team's sam, if that. It adds a fair amount of capability.

Wouldn't a F2 Heal/Treat only heal up to the F of the spell, so 2 boxes? I mean, 2 boxes MAX? Problem now being, if they guy was severely wounded, you'd not only have to take 2S drain, but he would not be able to receive anymore magical healing? Seems more wasteful than useful or exploitive.

As for the F1 Improved reflexes, more than likely it will be sustained or Spell Locked or Quickned, and that's not going to be to hard for some nefarious mage to break. Same deal with the Low-level illusion, you need to have atleast OR/2 Force to effect involuntary objects IIRC.
Kagetenshi
For a lightly-cybered individual (4.* Essence), you're looking at a TN of 6 for a reasonable expectation of 2 successes by most non-health-twinked mages.

Force 2 for free is reasonably powerful.

~J
GrinderTheTroll
Bah, 2 boxes aint jack squat for healing, especially on larger wound sets you'd be wasting the potential for a larger healing spell on a sure 2-box cure, IMO.
Kagetenshi
But since you're decently unlikely to do more than 2 boxes no matter the force of the spell...

~J
Kickshot
You're still going to need a higher force spell to heal the non-cybered members of the team though, such as yourself. You can always cast a force 6 Heal at force 2, but you can't cast a force 2 Heal at force 6.
Eyeless Blond
As well, most intelligent people will be doing first aid beforehand, which will almost always bring you down to a M or L wound. 2-3 boxes is really all you'll need most of the time. The only times you'll need to do more is when A) first aid fails, or B) the guy ends up in Overflow land. At those points you're usually just trying to keep your guy from dealing with a Deadly wound; the rest he'll probably have to heal on his own.

Either way, though, Kagetenshi's condition will apply. Unless you're healing someone with a full 6 Essence, you're not likely to ever get more than 2-3 boxes, even if you put all your spell pool into the casting. And then you have to worry about the monster drain from a F6 Heal... ugh.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kickshot)
You're still going to need a higher force spell to heal the non-cybered members of the team though, such as yourself. You can always cast a force 6 Heal at force 2, but you can't cast a force 2 heal at force 6.

If your character is taking Heal anyway, yeah, go for F5 or F6, or at the very least F3. The discussion in this case is of the powerful tool that Heal 2 in the hands of every single magic-user for free can be.

~J
Cold-Dragon
You're not targeting tech directly with illusions, so you don't roll for OR (or at least not with phantasm and similar, Chaos might be exception). You always roll against 4 +any relevant modifiers. The whole resisting check is to see whether or not you can perceive they're not real. Since a camera shows what it shows, and has no mind to perceive through it, they automatically fail.
Ol' Scratch
You're not understanding the ruling, Cold-Dragon.

No rolls are required. The spell *must* have a Force *equal* to more than one-half the OR of the target in order to affect it. It's a flat, standard rule. If the spell's Force isn't high enough to affect it, the spell has no effect whatsoever. No rolls required. It's a bare minimum requirement.
Cold-Dragon
In. ORDER. to AFFECT. IT!

that's assuming you cast a spell ON the object in question. that's perfectly accurate for a combat spell or a manipulation spell and anything that targets the camera, but an illusion does not apply.

An illusion merely creates an image that can be seen physically; a camera will see you make a dragon or a stripper or yourself waving to it, just as any other being would. The illusion's target is what it creates.

The camera, having a visible sensor that transmit/records what it sees, picks up the image, but since it has no method to determine it's fake or not, shows it to anyone watching the video feed or who watches the recording later.

If it didn't work this way, then how would a person explain that they were chasing a trespasser, when all the cameras show him just running? That literally botches the spell in favor of the SR's when it comes to confusing the enemy (unless of course, they use a high level spell just so they can baffle the camera, in which case they may as well just walk up to it themselves.

I can understand a weak spell frequently being looked through by a person, but not with a camera.

I agree to OR for purposes of targeting and affecting, not for convenience of being in range. and I'm WELL aware of the rules for minimum force to affect a nonliving target too. nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
And here's your next mistake.

Spells like most Indirect Illusions are cast on a SUBJECT and affect TARGETS. (Improved) Invisibility is one such spell. It makes the subject invisible, and anything that could witness that subject is the target. If the spell is incapable of affecting that target -- guess what. It has no effect on that target.

So if a camera has an OR of 8, an Improved Invisibility spell with a Force of 3 or lower won't have any effect against it. End of story, the camera spots them as per the standard rules because the spell didn't have the mojo to affect it anymore than a light pistol has the Power to penetrate a tank's ten-inch thick armor. It's not a matter of being "looked through" by the camera so much as "just not affecting" the camera.

If the Force is 4 or higher, the camera is affected and thus doesn't see the target since it doesn't get to resist the spell. Again, end of story, the camera doesn't spot them.

If it didn't work this way, then how would a person explain that they were chasing a trespasser, when all the cameras show him just running? That literally botches the spell in favor of the SR's when it comes to confusing the enemy (unless of course, they use a high level spell just so they can baffle the camera, in which case they may as well just walk up to it themselves.

The exact same way they'd explain it if the caster has only cast Invisibility (which only affects living beings) instead of Improved Invisibility (which affects cameras if strong enough).

You're questing why a spell (or anything else) would only affect some things and not others is kind of baffling in and of itself. If I throw a grenade in an empty field that's only occupied by a massive troll with a Body of 20 in heavy MilSpec dikoted armor and tons of cybernetic armor as well as a half-naked Elf with a Body of 1, it's pretty likely that only the Elf is going to go down. "How are they going to explain that?" Pretty much the same difference.
Cold-Dragon
fine then, I'll stay out of my own topic or whatever. I can understand the basis, but I can't see how what I said doesn't make sense, even if it is potentially wrong.

ciao
Kickshot
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If your character is taking Heal anyway, yeah, go for F5 or F6, or at the very least F3. The discussion in this case is of the powerful tool that Heal 2 in the hands of every single magic-user for free can be.

~J

A force 2 Manabolt will allow you to kill anyone with average willpower or less - in other words, at least half the population. A force 2 Control Thoughts will let you seize control of the minds of half the population. A force 2 Levitate will let you fly. Any spell is useful at force 2, but taking them at a higher force will usually allow you to reap much better benefits, and Heal is no exception. Unless, of course, your team is comprised entirely of sammies.
Kagetenshi
Certainly, but that still means that allowing Force 1 or 2 spells to be free with either Fetish or Exclusive is broken.

I'm not arguing that Heal is an exception. That's the point.

~J
Ol' Scratch
It's only broken if you allow it to be. Allowing anyone capable of using Sorcery to have a handful of low-Force spells for free is no more broken than allowing everyone to have free Language and Knowledge Skills. It's no more broken than allowing everyone to start the game with 3D6*100 nuyen in free equipment or cash. It's no more broken than allowing characters to buy equipment without Street Index or surgical costs during character creation. It's no more broken than... just about anything else in the game.

It's all about perspective. If you're hellbent on believing that it's broken, then it's going to be broken no matter what anyone has to say.

Kagetenshi
Correction: allowing it unrestrictedly is broken.

Though I'm not going to implement it, I could see a limited number of "background magic" allowed, but there would be some extra things necessary: specifically, a background/language skill-like limiter (Magic*n in unadjusted force or somesuch) and either a limitation in the types of spells chosen (or the number of certain types) or the recognition that mages are going to get a fair bit more powerful and versatile.

And as for starting cash and lack of SI: that's true across all archetypes. This only applies for mages, and as such has the potential to make them more powerful than other character types, something that isn't the case for other things you mentioned, which affect everyone.

~J
Cirenya
I'm against freebie spells of several reasons:

As mentioned before low-force spell can be effective

I don't think they add flavor, when they are free. I like like the thougt that the vain elven seductress shaman has make-over, healthy glow and fashion, but the troll combatmage and the ratshaman has not. If they are spells every awakened have, they becomes boring. Instead hand-out some extra spell points, if you think they are underpowered, but do it to everyone, and make it a choice if you want flavorspells, or rather a extra killerspell.

If you give your mages freebie spells, does the sammy get free toys too? what about free cosmetic bioware... (or maybe not, since sammies tends to need both essence and bioindex). But follow my point, I don't like some archetypes get things for free, but others do not
Kickshot
Kagetenshi:

Correction: allowing it unrestrictedly is broken.

Fair enough. I'll allow anyone to take a few freebies of their choice to spice up their character, since they'll still be outclassed in that category by enemy mages who opted for force 5s and 6s. But anyone who tries to take every single spell in existence at force 2 exclusive is just going to get a thwap on the head. But more because they're being an ass than because I think they'll disrupt the game balance.

Cirenya:

If you give your mages freebie spells, does the sammy get free toys too?

Sure. I'll give any sammy a crappy rifle that does 2L damage for free. Hell, I'll give him as many of them as he wants. If he's a good enough shot, he can still kill people with it. But those who decide to buy their weapons will have a much easier time doing it.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cirenya)
If you give your mages freebie spells, does the sammy get free toys too?

They do, just as all characters do. They get free surgery, free contacts, free Knowledge Skills, free Language Skills, free illegal purchases at legal costs, and free Equipment/Cash amongst other things. Some character types get greater benefits out of some of those than others, while some don't get any appreciable benefit at all (free surgery doesn't mean much to the guy with Bio-Rejection).

I don't think they add flavor, when they are free.

How is it any different than when you pay for them? No one's advocating unlimited access to all spells. At least I'm not and the FAQs certainly aren't. You still have a limited number of spells you can choose, and you should choose them as appropriate to your character. I happen to play "normal" magicians most of the time as opposed to ones that fill a silly two-dimensional niche like the "dirty rat shaman," and I tend to focus on spells that I would find practical in the real world. Being able to conjure up a quick snack when needed is great, thus a Create Food cantrip. Being able to change my clothes if I step in a puddle is great, thus a Fashion cantrip. Being able to clean myself up before a meeting or a date that I had completely forgotten about is great, thus a Makeover and Healthy Glow cantrip. Being able to cure that hangover from last night is great, thus a Detox cantrip. etc.

I like like the thougt that the vain elven seductress shaman has make-over, healthy glow and fashion, but the troll combatmage and the ratshaman has not.

Again, why would this change anything?

If they are spells every awakened have, they becomes boring.

Who says all awakened characters have the same cantrips? It's like assuming all awakened characters have the same spells, skills, attributes, resources, and contacts. You choose what's appropriate for your character.

Instead hand-out some extra spell points, if you think they are underpowered, but do it to everyone, and make it a choice if you want flavorspells, or rather a extra killerspell.

Again, why does paying spell points for it make it any different? That's a very strange mentality in my opinion.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
fine then, I'll stay out of my own topic or whatever. I can understand the basis, but I can't see how what I said doesn't make sense, even if it is potentially wrong.

ciao

Ah, don't let Doc's funk get you bent out of shape. Not everyone here is incapable of polite debate; indeed, this is one of the most flame-free forums I've seen in a long time.

Incidentally, does anyone have the page number/exact quote for where it states the minimum Force necessary to affect inanimate targets? I seem to have misplaced that quote, which is kinda important for this little sidetrack.

As for "freebie" spells, I happen to agree with Funk that they're not bad in moderation. A mage typically pays upwards of 35 build points for his magic; having a couple of cheap cantrips won't break the game. Too many freebies and the GM should come down hard, especially if there's no justification for them.

Here's a question, though: do you allow free spells to be learned *after* chargen? I'm not sure how to respond about that one.
Kickshot
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Incidentally, does anyone have the page number/exact quote for where it states the minimum Force necessary to affect inanimate targets? I seem to have misplaced that quote, which is kinda important for this little sidetrack.

Page 182, SR3, 4th paragraph under "Sorcery Test."
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Aug 16 2004, 04:19 PM)
Ah, don't let Doc's funk get you bent out of shape. Not everyone here is incapable of polite debate; indeed, this is one of the most flame-free forums I've seen in a long time.

What the hell? Did I miss something? Where was I being impolite?

SR3 p. 182, Sorcery Test: "The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object."

Here's a question, though: do you allow free spells to be learned *after* chargen? I'm not sure how to respond about that one.

Yep, because that requires downtime, the acquisition of the spell formula, the acquisition of any fetishes as needed, and a learning test.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kickshot @ Aug 16 2004, 05:23 PM)
Page 182, SR3, 4th paragraph under "Sorcery Test."

I meant the part about the spell's Force needing to be half the OR or greater. smile.gif I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I know it's there.

(Edit): Ah, it's in the errata; my mistake.
Cold-Dragon
It's under magic regarding non-living targets, as well as elemental manipulation spells.

And as to impolite discussion, I wouldnt' say Funk was impolite (I was on that last comment, but I didn't flame or anything, just made it smart-assed because it's a stressful day today). I just felt Funk's dead-determined idea that I'm wrong is annoying. I can understand the concept, it makes sense, but mine made sense too, and thus far, there's no real definite answer to either.

and Funk: I don't count the whole "OR" as a valid reason. It's valid for direct spells, but I'm still questionable about the indirect. My example is all the detection spells that have anything to do with objects. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they all state OR? in their TN category? Illusions never states a thing about it, and the only spell there that directly affects technology is Chaos IMO.
Kagetenshi
OR doesn't affect the TN of illusion spells, but it does affect the Force necessary to affect it.

~J
Kickshot
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I meant the part about the spell's Force needing to be half the OR or greater. smile.gif I can't seem to find it anywhere, and I know it's there.

(Edit): Ah, it's in the errata; my mistake.

Err...

The Force of the spell must be equal or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

That's the fifth sentence in that paragraph in my copy of the book.

Edit: You're right. Mine is the post-errata copy. Oops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012