Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Samurai Catalogue <2060 Edition>
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Paul
QUOTE ("Dave")
- I didn't use the Firearm Creation rules in the 'Cannon Companion', just some common sense.

While I am not trying to question your common sense here, but why? Doesn't that sort of preclude this stuff from getting any (un)official nods? I am just curious. I am going through the site as I post this, so who knows maybe this will be a moot point.

But one of the things I like about Ray's site is that he uses a preset format that I can copy. Copying your common sense is a bit harder. (Momma always told me I was a few minutes late for the brains, and I swear I heard trains...)

I will hopefully have more to post on this as I read it. But cool idea, to say the least!
Paul
Okay first thing that glaringly stands out in my mind. The Home page. Whoa-Shadowtalk=cool. Shadowtalk as the frontpage=not cool. Totally distracts me-plus it just doesn't look pretty. I would consider something more stream lined, with a link to the introductory talk on the side bar.
Dave
Well it certainly is interesting to see how this thread has 'developed' overnight.

Paul
Okay first thing that glaringly stands out in my mind. The Home page. Whoa-Shadowtalk=cool. Shadowtalk as the frontpage=not cool. Totally distracts me-plus it just doesn't look pretty. I would consider something more stream lined, with a link to the introductory talk on the side bar.

I was just trying to be a little different here, almost teasing the reader by mentioning some of the equipment that can be found in the Catalogue. In what way does this distract you?

Paul
While I am not trying to question your common sense here, but why? Doesn't that sort of preclude this stuff from getting any (un)official nods? I am just curious. I am going through the site as I post this, so who knows maybe this will be a moot point.

One of my first experiments was to try and make a P90 using the official creation rules but I couldn't do it, at that point I made a decision not to use those rules. So I opted to make them up as I saw fit by simple comparing any weapons with published material and tweaking where necessary.

Paul
But one of the things I like about Ray's site is that he uses a preset format that I can copy. Copying your common sense is a bit harder. (Momma always told me I was a few minutes late for the brains, and I swear I heard trains...)

But I am not offering additional rules just a set of equipment that you can drop straight into a game if you choose to.
Dave
Just a quick update I have made my first stab at trying to make the menus multi-browser. Given my complete lack of Javscript knowledge I have a feeling it may not work.

I have only modified the 'Latest News' page so if those of you who have a different browser to IE or Netscape could try it quickly it would be much appreciated.
aries
Works in Opera...
Grimtooth
I just started looking at some of the listings for the heavy pistols and SMG's. I disagree with some of the damage codes.

I really can't see a Mac 11 doing 9M. Weren't there 3 calibers for those things? .380, 9mm, and .45

I just don't see an SMG doing 9M base.
Grimtooth
And why does the Metaba Model 6 only have a damage code of 7L?????

Those things come in .357 or .44 magnum.

Shouldn't that at least qualify it for heavy pistol damage?
Kagetenshi
Eek, 9M base? That's nastier than a canon assault rifle! Hell, that's MMG-level!

Edit: just remembered that MMGs have a base damage of S, but still...

~J
Botch
Walther P99

The P99 does not need to be modified for large metahumans.

I've got one of these (OK, replica) and that just isn't possible unless your troll meta-types have shrunk in the wash. If an enlarged trigger guard was all there was to troll modifications why do they pay 25% more for their guns? 5 minutes with a hacksaw & wleding torch would be all they need.

Still, great site
Siege
Alright, I gotta ask:

Ray - do you think Trolls with their oversized hands, could accurately fire a human-sized handgun with the trigger guard removed?

-Siege
Dave
More feedback, great.

Grimtooth
I really can't see a Mac 11 doing 9M. Weren't there 3 calibers for those things? .380, 9mm, and .45
I just don't see an SMG doing 9M base.

Well, when I was looking around for a suitable image the first five sites I found only mentioned a .45 calibre version. Somewhere in the back of memory I remembered reading that the .45 was a fairly hefty cartridge (even though SR doesn't take into account weapon calibres) so I figured as my Mac-11 was a cheap, no-frills weapon that couldn't be upgraded and was controlled by merely brute strength the selling point would be its ability to due that extra damage.

Grimtooth
And why does the Metaba Model 6 only have a damage code of 7L?????
Those things come in .357 or .44 magnum.
Shouldn't that at least qualify it for heavy pistol damage?

Good question and I can't remember why I did that, I think it's probably a mistake. Nice find.
[Edit]Damage code changed to 9M and uploaded

Botch
Walther P99
I've got one of these (OK, replica) and that just isn't possible unless your troll meta-types have shrunk in the wash. If an enlarged trigger guard was all there was to troll modifications why do they pay 25% more for their guns? 5 minutes with a hacksaw & wleding torch would be all they need.

It was just a marketing idea that I made up, put forth to try and sell the pistols to a metahuman market. It seemed to make sense at the time with the oversized trigger guard and bulky grip.
Botch
Check out the BFTG - Troll guns thread. Catalgue should be ready in 2 weeks.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Dave)
Well, when I was looking around for a suitable image the first five sites I found only mentioned a .45 calibre version. Somewhere in the back of memory I remembered reading that the .45 was a fairly hefty cartridge (even though SR doesn't take into account weapon calibres) so I figured as my Mac-11 was a cheap, no-frills weapon that couldn't be upgraded and was controlled by merely brute strength the selling point would be its ability to due that extra damage.

.45 ACP is farly hefty, true. But it's also a fairly common SMG caliber. Thus it makes sense to assume that it's somewhere around 7M damage-wise, because that's as high as common SMGs go.

At a quick glance, there seems to be a lot of slightly odd choices for Damage Codes that I could comment on, if you want to. If you don't really care whether the DCs are that realistic, I might as well not bother.
Dave
Austere Emancipator
At a quick glance, there seems to be a lot of slightly odd choices for Damage Codes that I could comment on, if you want to. If you don't really care whether the DCs are that realistic, I might as well not bother.

I always want more feedback, especially if you feel things are broken or over/under powered. If there are indeed that many it might be worth putting them all in an email.

It's not that I don't care about realism I'm more concerned about how balanced each weapon/item is. True I have changed things, for example, in real life the P90 and 5-7 use the same calibre ammunition. In the game, however, it works well for the pistol with a lower-than-normal damage code but a fifty-round clip of armour-piercing ammo for the SMG was far too overpowered, so I opted to change the P90.
Austere Emancipator
I realize stuff like that is a real problem when you try to get a compromise between RL stuff and SR rules. Similar problems come up with ARs and LMGs -- there's not a whole lot you can do to make the LMG Damage Codes realistic and yet balanced with the canon LMGs. And then there are Sporting Rifles vs Sniper Rifles. You simply cannot include realism as far as the relative power levels of the different guns are concerned unless you chuck out all the canon weapons.

One thing did catch my eye, however. I don't think there's anything wrong with making all those 9x19 pistols 9M, since Light Pistols are pretty useless in SR (even if, realistically speaking, 9x19 is near the lower end of the common pistol caliber power scale), but I do think it's a bit odd that the Beretta M96 has a lower Damage Code than the Beretta M92. The M92 fires the 9x19, which is less powerful than the .40S&W which the M96 fires (the .40S&W can fire a larger, heavier bullet faster than the 9x19). If you wish to keep the 9x19s at 9M, you might also want to put the Beretta M96 down as 9M. 10M for the .40S&W would certainly be too much.

You could always look into ways to make the M249 and L86 do the same amount of damage, since they both fire the same cartridge out of a barrel of similar length. If you don't mind them being slightly less powerful than the canon LMGs, you could always just put them at 8M.

If you wish, you could drop the 7.62x51mm (and 7.62x54mmR, and other calibers of about the same power level) sniper rifles to 9S, and put the .338 Lapua at 14S. If you aren't too concerned with that making the PSG-1 "sub-par", that's probably the most reasonable compromise with Sporting and Sniper Rifles. That way there's an actual reason why Sniper Rifles do more damage than Sporting Rifles.
Dave
Austere Emancipator
One thing did catch my eye, however. I don't think there's anything wrong with making all those 9x19 pistols 9M...

Done.

Austere Emancipator
You could always look into ways to make the M249 and L86 do the same amount of damage, since they both fire the same cartridge out of a barrel of similar length

Well I ended up making them the standard Shadowrun LMG damage of 7S.

Austere Emancipator
If you wish, you could drop the 7.62x51mm (and 7.62x54mmR, and other calibers of about the same power level) sniper rifles to 9S, and put the .338 Lapua at 14S

The PSG-1 and Dragunov now have the standard Shadowrun sniper rifle damage of 14S, not quite what you suggested but more in keeping with the game mechanic. The Scout has been reduced to sport rifle damage; 9S.

I have still kept the AWM at 16S, this is benefit of having to use a SS rifle.

I really appreciate the feedback and has made me think more about damage codes and realism.
Raygun
QUOTE (Siege @ Aug 16 2004, 01:48 PM)
Alright, I gotta ask:

Ray - do you think Trolls with their oversized hands, could accurately fire a human-sized handgun with the trigger guard removed?

-Siege

Possibly. But I think it would be comparable to you or I using a very small hold-out, like an NAA .22 or something of that nature. If you've ever done that, you know that it is very difficult to aim or even hit things beyond a few yards with one. I think there should be a target number penalty involved in a case like this.
Austere Emancipator
Missed this the first time around: All the 5.56x45mm ARs should probably do the same damage, 8M. There's no particular reason why an M16 should do any more damage than any other ARs of the same caliber. Well, there's barrel lengths to consider, but I don't think you really want to go there, since SR doesn't deal with it like that. At most, you could drop the SG552 to 7M because of the extremely short barrel.
Arethusa
Having been here before with the Semi Canon Problem Solvers that I'm sure no more than two people remember, my personal advice is to completely ignore calibers and stick to the canon damage codes as much as possible. Unless you're willing to rewrite a lot of the canon guns, which is rather opposed to the goal of writing a list of guns designed to mesh exactly those, you really can't get away with many deviations towards reality.

In case you're curious about the Semi Canon Problem Solvers and what my approach was, here's a link. Hope it's of some help.
Siege
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Siege @ Aug 16 2004, 01:48 PM)
Alright, I gotta ask:

-Siege

Possibly. But I think it would be comparable to you or I using a very small hold-out, like an NAA .22 or something of that nature. If you've ever done that, you know that it is very difficult to aim or even hit things beyond a few yards with one. I think there should be a target number penalty involved in a case like this.

Ok - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought the "hacksaw and blowtorch" approach was just absurd.

-Siege
Kurukami
QUOTE (Dave)
Just a quick update I have made my first stab at trying to make the menus multi-browser. Given my complete lack of Javscript knowledge I have a feeling it may not work.

I have only modified the 'Latest News' page so if those of you who have a different browser to IE or Netscape could try it quickly it would be much appreciated.

I'm on Mozilla, normally. Alas, it still does not work under that browser. Good to know that Opera apparently works, though. For the moment, I'll just have to continue viewing it under IE. biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
I can view it with Mozilla just fine, using the SSC Gear Listing link on the main page and going from there.
Kurukami
Aha. I see what you mean. Originally I was still trying to use the popup menus on the side nav bar. Thanks for the tip!
Kagetenshi
Just because there's a workaround doesn't mean it's not broken.

Perhaps making the popup menus links themselves so a user has the choice between the popup and a general section link? A more elegant solution regardless of compatibility, at least in my mind.

~J
Dave
Just a quick update to the site.

The 'SSC Gear Listing' link is now available from all pages.

The minor change to make the menus Opera-friendly has been done to all the other pages. I know there are still issues with Mozilla compatibility and may have to look into using different menu code or scraping the menus altogether.

Kagetenshi
Perhaps making the popup menus links themselves so a user has the choice between the popup and a general section link? A more elegant solution regardless of compatibility, at least in my mind.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate with an example?

Austere Emancipator
Missed this the first time around: All the 5.56x45mm ARs should probably do the same damage, 8M. There's no particular reason why an M16 should do any more damage than any other ARs of the same caliber.

Now fixed, it was a mistake on my part.
Kagetenshi
What I mean is have a page that is linked to from the current null links that contains all the links in the popup menu. If the popup menus work, people will use them, and if not, they may not even realize they were supposed to be there.

~J
Dave
I think I get what you mean now, so the 'Pistols' heading would be a hyperlink to a page containing all links to the pistols and so on.

I like it and may well implement it, if the new menu code I've got doesn't work.
Kagetenshi
Yep, that's what I meant smile.gif

~J
Paul
Dave basically its the words themselves. Its this solid block of writing-its big, its ugly and I can't help but read it. (So in that it does its job.) but I find myself skipping around in it.

I think it should be shorter-just an intro. Thats just me. I will never oject, by the way, to more free stuff for me to play with!
Dave
Paul
Dave basically its the words themselves. Its this solid block of writing-its big, its ugly and I can't help but read it. (So in that it does its job.) but I find myself skipping around in it.

I think it should be shorter-just an intro...

It's an interesting point and one I never really thought about. I'll see if I can come up with something a little more snappy, and/or more pleasing to the eye.

Over the next couple of days I will be implementing new menu code, which should be far more browser-friendly. I'll also add in a few of the suggestions made in the previous posts. So a reworked Catalogue should be uploaded this weekend (unless of course I actually have to do some work...at work).
mfb
you might consider about 5px of padding-left on the title TDs. they're not quiiiite aligned with the filetab image you're using.
Dave
* Major Update *

I have uploaded v2.0 of the Catalogue (a day early no less, yeah OK, its been a sloooow day at work) and contains the following changes:

- The menu code has been completely redone and should now work with most, if not all, browsers.

- For those of you who don't see the menus, the section list on the right is also series of hyperlinks that will take you to the correct place in the 'SSC Gear Listing' page' (these also work if you do get the menus). I have tested this myself by turning off the menus and it works quite well (thanks to Kagetenshi for the suggestion).

- The 'SSC Gear Listing' page has now been made into a permanent feature (thanks to Azreal for this one).

- I have added a [Prev] and [Next] link to every page. This allows you to move each entry for a particular section without having to go back to the menus or listing page (thanks to BIG BAD BEESTE for this idea).

I also took the opportunity to streamline the the pages and move stuff around, in doing so the original link is broken and a new link created:

The Street Samurai Catalogue <2060 Edition>

I think that just about covers it, when I have finally ironed out all the bugs (or at least found workarounds) I will start adding new content.

Enjoy.
Kagetenshi
I like smile.gif

~J
Johnson
Very cool Keep it coming.
KYA
cool 'site
i like your menu

on browsing however i noticed that the damage code for the MAC-10 seems to be wrong:
9M seems too much for a SMG, thats even more than a M16(or any orher AR for that matter)
unless you have burst fire already factored in, since the gun has no single shot capability, then M damage is a bit low, an you should add a comment that burst fire is already included in the damage code

also the HK UMP seems a bit too strong, especially for its price, but since you're not using CC rules thats up to your GM to decide
everything AFAIK and IMHO OFC
Arethusa
Those damage codes really go back to my comment on the previous page about not avoiding any SR canon firearms insanities and contrivances in deference to reality if your goal is to create weapons the mesh with the canon guns, and it's something that still needs to be addressed.
Kagetenshi
Congratulations, you now have the good but minimally-valued distinction of being, as far as I can tell, fully lynx compatible smile.gif

Same with Firefox and Safari, though they include the menus.

~J
Siege
Now, expand the running gear section.

Everyone has tons and tons of new weapons, but what about the non-running gun battle part of the adventure?

-Siege
Dave
KYA
on browsing however i noticed that the damage code for the MAC-10 seems to be wrong:
9M seems too much for a SMG...

KYA
also the HK UMP seems a bit too strong, especially for its price

Done and done, I forgot to change them before uploading the latest pages both have been downgraded to 7M. Thanks for reminding me.

Kagetenshi
Congratulations, you now have the good but minimally-valued distinction of being, as far as I can tell, fully lynx compatible.

Same with Firefox and Safari, though they include the menus.

Great news, it has always been my biggest concern that not everyone will be able to enjoy the site but it looks like everything is sorting itself out.

gfen

I don't remember the last time I came here, but it was jackholes like Austere Aertherusarha that made me decide the vast majority of this place was a wasteland of mallninjas and obsessive freaks.

In truth, its probably not, but they, and a select crew, have an amazing habit of finding their way into all sorts of threads and tainting it with their level of OCD wackiness.

Anyways, today, I come along bored one day at work, and here I sit. Searching threads, looking at crap.

I find this thread. I had to read it, coz I knew the tactical operators would be filling it with plenty of the usual crap involving the latest buzzwords and hot news from SWAT magazine....Oh, and was I ever right.

And, well, at the end, I realized one very important fact:

If you fake the funk, your nose has got to grow.

You, the low drag high speed mall ninja crew, are still a group of pathetic weasels. On the other hand, Dr. Funkenstein is not only got the Mothership Connection, but has class, wit, and perspective.

Kagetenshi
*Thumbs up* Way to resurrect dead flamewars.

~J
SpasticTeapot
The link seems to be quite dead.
Austere Emancipator
Wow, I had no idea one has to read SWAT magazines to know .45 ACP is a common SMG caliber, or that "cartridge" and "barrel length" are "the latest buzzwords". biggrin.gif

SpasticTeapot: Use this link (also found in Dave's .sig) instead.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (gfen)
On the other hand, Dr. Funkenstein is not only got the Mothership Connection, but has class, wit, and perspective.

You either are Doc Funkenstein himself, or you just really like the taste of ass.
weblife
I really like your site. And as I'm using IE 5.0+ I have no problems viewing it. (Submit to Microsoft. Resistance is futile.) cool.gif

However... Your information is all useless if its not checked against the Canon rules for constructing weapons. Its just pretty pictures with numbers attached. There is no way my GM will allow the gear to be used.

Its a general flaw of most SR fansites I've browsed.. It should be CLEARLY written on the website which version of SR the website support, and what items are built using Canon rules, and which are homegrown.

I'm betting that a fansite dedicated to Canon rules, and advertizing it, will get more traffic and use than the non-canon sites.
Raygun
If it is that important to you that things be canon, looking for rules on the internet is pretty much pointless. It should be assumed that the things you find on the internet are not canon and are not meant to be confused as such, if for no other reason than they are not found in any official Shadowrun book.

My guess is that what is made using canon rules and what isn't, to most players, is inconsequential. It either fits into their game or it doesn't.
Critias
Hahahahaha. What a retarded thread resurrection. Hahahahahaha.
Jrayjoker
The thread has merit. The OT crap is just that. Nuf said

The site is attractive and I did not have a problem with the shadowtalk being the first thing I saw. That being said, I seldom read all of it anyway, and I lose a lot of the flavor along the way (and I accept that).

I did notice a lot of dead image links in the catalogue (Intentional?). I am running Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and had to use IE to get the links on the left to work correctly.

Shadow
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 22 2005, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (gfen @ May 22 2005, 11:09 AM)
On the other hand, Dr. Funkenstein is not only got the Mothership Connection, but has class, wit, and perspective.

You either are Doc Funkenstein himself, or you just really like the taste of ass.

He's not. Doc is lost in the wasteland of World Of Warcraft and has been for some time.

He also doesn't write like he is on crack or some other drug.
Grinder
You all seem to take this boards too serious. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012